Review of XE

Tel: (844) 505 - 8407
transfers.na@xe.com

paulg569
2/11/19

Do Not Use This App/Service - I do not send money overseas often but XE popped up as an option when looking to send my parents a Christmas present and most of the reviews spoke highly of the experience. While they don't charge fees there is no guarantee that the money will make it to the intended recipient and no way for them to track the money down once it "disappears". I've been waiting 3 months for my money to arrive and no one at XE can tell me where it is or when it'll surface. Next time I'll pay the bank fees and sleep easy.

The customer support is responsive and they're generally very helpful, useless but helpful.

rabbis
1/16/19

So i set up an account and made a transfer. AFETR i made it, the company demanded all kinds of invasive and irrelevant information from me like my career history. Obviously i refused and they blocked the transaction and stole my money.
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

phild100
1/14/19

Don't go thereDon't go thereDon't go thereDon't go thereDon't go thereDon't go there
Don't go thereDon't go there

pedramf
12/25/18

Last minute glitches preventing a routine wire to my mom's account resulting in expiry of a quoted rate.

dianam263
12/7/18

Unable to open an account with them despite providing all the required documentation. They request a phone call to clarify some 'error' but I have no means to do so. But to receive some sales phone calls- I received 3 of them straight away, one of them at 6:30am with no apologies for waking me up at this early hour.
What a joke!
I wanted to transfer quite a substantial amount but won't be doing it with them.

tamarah66
12/3/18

Signed up last week after a friend recommended, open the account, entered all my personal info and bank details only to get an email hours later saying my transfer was cancelled and my account closed , i thought nothing of it until yesterday when checking my online statement to find $3400 had been taken from my account along with an email saying they "accidently" took out the money even though the transfer was cancelled and i would have to contact my bank, bank said theres nothing they can do on their end so now im pretty much stuck waiting on XE reversing the money which i needed to have been recieved days ago, do not do business with them, completely useless company.

trevorg46
11/26/18

tl;dr: just use TransferWise instead - it's easier and much, much faster.

I had used XE for years - probably close to a decade - and hadn't needed to use my account for perhaps 1 or 2 years. I needed to send GBP 50 from my US personal account to my UK personal account, both of which I'd had registered for some time with XE (at least a few years). With no notification, they reversed my transfer and froze my account. I only found out when I followed up on the website to check the status of my transfer. I called on a Sunday and got their friendly New Zealand call center that couldn't help me with my issue and advised me to call back on Monday to get the North American office. I called back on Monday (today) and did get the US call center. The person was friendly and (manually) initiated my refund (which I feel should have been done automatically). I followed up with the reason as to why my account was frozen and, after a brief hold, was politely but directly told that a new audit had deemed me outside of their risk tolerance and that they "could no longer help me with future transfers."

While I fault the refund not being automatic as soon as it was denied, I cannot fault the customer service of the call center agents, who were both polite, friendly, and professional. However, between my first call around noon on Sunday and my second call at 11:45 on Monday, I was able to set up a TransferWise account, send two USD to GBP transfers, and have the funds arrive in my UK account. TrasnferWise leaves XE in the dust, so if you have not yet moved to TransferWise, do it now!

fawada4
10/29/18

PLEASE GUYS DO NOT USE THIS $#*!TY Money transfer service. these guys are Fake!

your money will get STUCK FOREVER.its

jeremyt60
9/12/18

This review is about the XE sold last year to a bunch of Yahoo's. Prior to this sale, I had transferred hundreds of thousands of dollars with XE without a single problem until yesterday... Mid-transaction, after receiving my trade confirnarion, XE's "verification team" decided that I was a risk, and cancelled the order. They then proceeded to not contact me about this issue, close my account, and not refund the money that was sent to them to fund the exchange a week earlier.

After a couple days of not seeing the funds in my Aussie account, I called XE to see what was up. Talking to their Canadian and New Zealand office was pointless as they 'had no access to help and could not offer me details". Finally on the third try, I got their US office who gave me their twisted tale, refused to tell me why I was deemed a risk (as per their policy), and told that I needed to request my bank to do a "charge-back" on an ACH transaction. They also were unable to escalate me, and informed me that no contact between clients and their mysterious "Verification Team" was allowed.

Finally after calling back every hour for a whole afternoon, reminding them that they were stranding my wife and young children in a foreign country, threatening to contact the media for help, and flat out accusing them of stealing, they finally got the point and refunded the money. I can only imagine how many people less familiar with banking and foreign exchange have been caught up in their terrible BS...

Bottom line, post sale, this is not the efficient pain-free Foreign Exchange company of past. Now they are a rude, questionably competent company, that does not honor their deals nor communicate with customers willingly. They hide behind their onerous terms of service and have trained their staff to confuse and obscure instead of assist. Please do not do business with them to save yourself a lot of time and effort if things go wrong...

oliverh50
9/8/18

Left me stranded in the US for 5 days because of their errors and inaction/slowness. Poor wording on routing code/number caused 2 days delay (even the company in the US I was forwarding to was confounded by their wording--this company is used to receiving international transfers), then massive totally unnecessary delays in redoing the actual transfer from their US bank account to the company in the US that I wanted to pay, even though I had already sent xe.com the money a week earlier. This left me stranded for 3 further days. STAY AWAY!

manishk40
7/26/18

This company has the worst customer service that any any company can possibly provide. There is lack of management as they absolutely do not care even for a loyal customer who has given this company a business for over a decade.They are so screwed up as they repeatedly ask the same question in the name of compliance. They will restrict your account with no communication and does not matter how many times you provide them with the same information. They are so disorganized as in the company's management left hand does not know what right hand is doing. Different agents tell you different stories with no facts whatsoever. They will screw up things and make you suffer with a great deal of inconvenience and frustration. Stay away from this company at any cost.

gerryyvonnes
6/2/18

They seemed to have self destructed overnight. Just read some of the recent negative reviews. Without ranting, I experienced many of the same problems. The worst was 'Team Leader' Jonathan McGuire passing himself off as the 'highest in management' I could speak with. Condescending, weeks passing while they held my money, refusing to return it. Called up Knightsbridge Exchange. They had my transaction completed in 2 days, no problems.

mikes1046
6/1/18

All I can say--SCAM!!!! I had set up an account and thought I was all ready to go when all of the sudden-they locked my account for NO REASON. Long story short, I was NOT able to do a transfer in time for the great rate and lost money. INCOMPETENT TEAM and COMPANY. I would give them ZERO stars...

briana270
5/24/18

Very condescending and cold when they speak or email you. Their tone is impolite and they seem to have the attitude that they are doing you a favor. I have not come across too many cases of this kind of behavior, especially when all I did was to apply for a new account (i.e. I did not have any kind of disagreements or arguments with them to warrant such behavior). Their customer service calls at 5am in the morning and then emails and says to me that they called me "several times". I would imagine that a good customer service team would be able to figure out the time zone based on the application details.

mileny
4/24/18

Seriously, people, PLEASE stay as far as you can from these scammers - their website menus are really hard to understand and that's just the tip of the iceberg. They are extremely slow to react and it took me weeks and endless phone calls (most of the time the people I tried to call were on voicemail) to convert a personal account into a business one. All I wanted was to send some money to an overseas supplier. But I created the wrong type of account and this opened Pandora's box. I wired them $3000 to be sent to my supplier and have been on the phone for a week now, trying to transfer the funds from the personal to the business account so I can wire it. Eventually I got fed up and asked to get the funds back but they do not give up that easily - there is always an excuse "This takes time, that takes time, this person is on vacation, that person is absent". This is the worst case of lack of service and coordination I have ever experienced, by a margin.

gilbertt13
3/2/18

I am from Canada and I live in Thailand for 6 months year. Having a thai bank account here i want to trandfer money for my living. About 3000$
Every 2 months or so. You know what! They block me. I have to be in Canada to transfer!! Or good is that!

With a large amount of people now travelling for long period of time. are they blocking everyone!

I succeed to make a test transfer of 200$ to see how it work and after that i was BLOCKED.

Really not serious!

jamesc538
2/27/18

I had an absolutely terrible experience. I chose XE over OFX because of the recognition i give to XE whilst looking at live market exchange rates. Even though OFX would have saved me money, i chose XE because i have "heard" of them before.

I was purchasing a large ticket item in USA, they kept over promising times, both via phone and email on expected arrival. The recipient hadn't received funds as promised and had to cancel the deal and it has cost me a lot of money. I had flights booked, hotel booked, time scheduled off work. I have now had to purchase a vehicle in the same area for $3000 more as i already booked all those things. This is the worst experience i have ever had, i lost sleep at night and have an extremely sour taste in my mouth about ever doing a wire transfer with anyone ever again.

grahms
2/18/18

Was a little nervous about trusting myself and my wife's savings to a company other than a bank, but the whole transfer experience was very clear, plenty of staff available on the phone to answer queries, the extra value achieved by using XE, rather than the bank will come in very useful. Definitely recommend to anyone on the fence.

glennh54
2/15/18

I recently used this service to purchase uniforms for our baseball team. Based on consumer reviews I gave them a try. I sent the money to them on 1/31/18. It has been 15 days, and the manufacturer had to trace the money. There was no communication from XE they were sending my money through an intermediary bank.

nigelh27
2/14/18

After some frustrations with a well-known provider I tried Xe. The site is just straightforward and obvious, totally tailored to in my case the Botswana banking system. A bank code sent to me had an error. However the correct code was looked at by the system. I only had to click my mouse twice and it was fixed.

I made two payments in less than 2 minutes. Everything was confirmed immediately by email. Within 48 hours payments were complete. The rates were excellent and the commission minimal.

So nice to work with an group who know how to develop a website. And the app looks even better.

vanessab101
2/2/18

I would highly recommend XE to anyone looking to transfer money to South Africa. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is due to the difficulty tracing a wire through its intermediary bank to determine what the fee that the intermediary bank charges before the funds come. I wire money to Johannesburg on a monthly basis and unfortunately XE has not been able to trace to funds to determine the fee. As a result, I never know the exact amount that will hit my account in SA and my bank typically sits on the funds for a while before depositing it. When I call the bank to inquire, the amount I provide to them doesnt actually match the amount that they receive so it is difficult for them to locate. It's usually short a dollar or two. Although I've had the same experience with other places I've used. Other than that. They are always friendly and usually give me the best exchange rate on Rand.

mell252
1/29/18

Fantastic company, I should have joined them years ago, just didn't know enough about them...I have been dealing with the banks and they probably overcharge for everything including my mortgage, checking, exchange currency rates....I'll give these guys a 11 star rating. When I call them they walked me through what I want and are very courteous in every way..Mel Latimer....Manassas,VA

daveg93
1/24/18

xe.com agreed to convert USD6024.75 to CAD7500 for me. They took the USD6024.75 out of my USD bank account, and never deposited the CAD7500 to my CAD bank account. Instead they sent me an email saying that they decided to cancel the transaction and close my account. When I asked them to send me back the USD6024.75 they took, they told me to contact my bank to get my money back. My bank says I need to tell xe.com to send me my money back. Xe.com is refusing to send me my money back. When I called on the phone and asked why they don't just send me my money back, they just hung up on me. In emails, they continue to tell me that my bank would do it for me, but my bank says they need to send me my money back.

xe.com are evil crooks! They stole USD6024.75 from me and REFUSE to send it back to me! NEVER USE xe.com!

UPDATE: It has been 3 weeks since they stole my money. I went to the police station to file a police report. I hope the police can help get my money back! GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY YOU EVIL CROOKS!!!

terryv15
1/23/18

I had a problem with the transaction no fault of XE or mine but because the reciever of the funds gave the wrong . XE dealt with my frustrations, my fear of vanishing funds and my impatience, while I was traveling in Morocco without having very good phone or internet, with a professional attitude and being on top of things at all times. I cannot be more pleased by their professionalism.

bobl133
1/12/18

I needed to send money to my mum in Leeds because of some medical issues. Reviews were a mixed bag. So I took a gamble on Xe. They gave me a quote on the exchange rate, much better than my bank. I've used them twice so far. Seems to work just fine for me. Just my experience.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They are EVIL CROOKS who stole my money and refuse to give it back to me. I already went to the police station to file a report!

By Dave G.

Be careful  they just did this to me.  I was expecting a deposit into my xe account. I got text message to confirm deposit, then numerous emails and calls to make deals, then they tell me once I accepted,that the funds weren't mine, and that they accidentally deposited someone else's funds into my account.  I sent the converted equivalent back to them so now the other customer has all of their money back, but they want the difference in conversion to make their own greedy profit, and have threatened debt collection agency onto me.

By Jacob W.

Yes, xe.com, answer this guy's question and tell everybody here what you told me! And please give me my money back!

By Dave G.

They took money from my account on January 12th, 2018. Now it is January 26th, 2018, and they still did not give me my money back.

By Dave G.

Questions? Get answers from the XE staff and other customers.

1 Photo for XE