Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

jackieb91
6/26/17

Sent in things worth over $1000 and payout was $6.50. Because the shipping was also about $6.50 they magically reduced my overall payout to $0. You tell me if it's a scam or not.

aspenm
6/25/17

I donated more than 20 articles of clothing, nice clothing, and received $7.13 for all of it. They are listing my clothing online for more than I purchased it for in the first place. It's a scam. I'll never use this sight again. Better off having a garage sale or selling it yourself on eBay.

julial16
6/24/17

From all the bad reviews I already knew that the only winners were thredUP and possibly buyers. I decided to buy items from favorite brand of mine because I was familiar with the quality and fit of that brand. One of the items was on clearance and not returnable, the other was their regular price and I got a 40% off coupon. Sweater plus top from Lovestich cost me $23.xx including shipping. Great deal. However, the sweater wasn't Lovestich but turned out to be J. Crew. I never buy J Crew. I like both items but that sort of stuff is just unacceptable. J. Crew is pricewise comparable to Lovestich (I think) but that's not what was advertised. That is sloppy and it would have been a hassle to return it or get some kind of resolution. I think Ebay is safer to buy and to sell.

lesliek39
6/24/17

When I heard about Thred Up, I thought, "Finally! Somewhere to sell clothing that takes a multitude of brands." They are NOT what they claim just like many of the other reviews here. They charge $10 to ship your items to them, which you are inclined to pay because you think you will be making money on your items, especially the new ones...not so. Thred Up donated hundreds of dollars worth of new items of mine claiming things that were impossible, like they were faded. What it comes down to is their inventory and preference, but you would have to pay another $10 for the to send them back and must indicate that you want that before sending your items in...so let me get this straight, Thred Up wants me to PAY them to donate my clothes, what an awesome scam for them! The items they do pay you on are mere pennies, I would love to see them shut down and would never buy from them or send the clothes again. I can certainly donate my clothes myself for free.

kerrya30

Maurices Cardigan 14 (0) listed for $10.99 with 5% payout of $0.55
Mossimo Jacket XL listed for $10.99 with 5% payout of $0.55

ginap35
6/23/17

Let me preface this by saying I sent in a bag of clothes last year and had a great experience - processed quickly - the clean out bag was free to send in - and I ended up making about $300 for 24 pieces - some being upfront payouts and others being consignment pieces.

I didn't hesitate sending in more clothes a few months ago --- without realizing they'd changed their "payout system" - and now the company I once recommended to everyone I could, is one I can't encourage people to run far away from as fast as they can.

First they charge you to send in your clothes (which can be 4.99 - 5.99 - 9.99 or 10.99 - it seems to fluctuate) -- then you wait - and wait - and wait - for them to even get to your bag -- unfortunately I sent in multiple bags at once -- with an estimated processing of a month...which came and went. Finally they got to my bags 2 weeks later. Then bam - you get hit with the insulting figure they tell you your bag of clothes is supposedly worth. Here's where I feel they mess people over......

They need to fix their "estimated payout calculator" - which they furnish and encourage you to use / you put in the brand name and type of item and it shoes you what you can expect to receive for a similar piece. For example - you type in Ann Taylor and choose dress - and it comes up with several dresses, indicating a payout would be $9.25.

it's a scam to have people using it prior to sending in items thinking they'll be receiving in the neighborhood of $9.25 for a brand new with tags Ann Taylor dress -- so you send in a whole bag of clothes...thinking "well according to their calculator - all these clothes I'm sending in should fetch around $166 ----- so of course it's a pure shock when you end up clearing $13!! <--- cause don't forget you have to pay a $10.99 fee for the privilege of them stealing your clothes! Have I mentioned you then have to wait 14 days to be able to "cash out"?

Then they say "the payout calculator may not reflect our new payout system" - yeah I'd say. They're a scam and I'll continue to shout it until they're honest up front about payouts to people. Leading people to believe and make a decision to send in clothes based on an estimate calculator - they provide - that they know isn't correct - is bait and switch. Cause they know no one would bother sending in clothes if they saw $.60 pop up (that's two quarters and a dime) .....so they conveniently don't fix/update that calculator to reflect their greedy new business plan and continue to stiff those providing their inventory every day. Making matters worse, they send you random "good news!" emails when an item you sent in is sold --- so you get to not only see that the item they paid you $.60 for was sold for $22 --- they remind you that you've already been paid for the item and won't be receiving more money. So why send that email? To let us see the profit you've made??? They're ridiculous.

Then - to add insult - if you go to complain on social media, they give a canned "oh no - sorry you're sad..." response....then they'll offer to have you contact CS so they can tell you what was wrong with your clothes to only pay you $.60.....the clothes that were apparently so crappy that you received two quarters and a dime for.....that they'll go sell for $22. That makes a lot of sense. So what's the deal - the clothes are soooo bad --- yet they sell them? They're either shafting the sellers by saying their clothes are so flawed they're only worth pennies --- or they're selling these flawed clothes to the public.....which doesn't seem to be the case since the buying experience seems to be relatively positive from what I've seen.

I only wish people would read the seller reviews/comments on here and other places before sending in their items.

Their business plan must include "If we can get people to just send in one bag each - even if they never use us again because of our shoddy business practices - we still have that inventory!!"

Give your clothes to a local charity & take the write off --- you'll make a heck of a lor more and feel better about yourself at the end of the day.

ThredUP? More like GreedUP --- I'll look forward to the day they're out of business - which will be sooner rather than later if they don't get it together.

karenb49
6/23/17

Do not sell to these people. My total was 75 cents too.lol A real nice Catalina bathing suit in a plus size. They used to be very good to deal with untill they had TV commercials.

barbarag105
6/23/17

I ordered an item that was listed on their website as my correct size. When I received it, the size was actually an XS. I returned the item and requested that they refund the cost of the item as well as my return postage and the postage I paid when I ordered the item. Since the wrong size was listed, the mistake was theirs. They refunded the price I paid for the item but refused refund the postage I paid. The item I purchased costs $7.80. I paid $8.75 in postage. So now, I am out $8.75 and have nothing!

My advice to anyone thinking about ordering from them to please read these reviews first. I really, really wish I had!!!

jenniferb310
6/23/17

Next time I'll give my clothes away. It took over 6 weeks to get my quote back . Than I sent 14 items and I got 10$ some of the items were brand new and brand name! Not even a dollar an item is bull.. wouldn't be sending anymore items

deborahg65
6/23/17

The only good reviews I found on this company were from people who purchased from them but... on the other side of the coin, if you send them your clothes (expensive clothes) you get nothing for them.

tinaa54
6/23/17

Wow! This is a scam! I sent in hundreds of new and washed like new baby clothes (3 bags stuffed full!) They keep what they want (which is fine) but pay out for upfront items (at who knows what rate). They then consign others (maybe). Problem is, they keep $9.99 off the top of your "upfront" payout (which is probably giving less than 10% of their list price). Okay, so $9.99 off the top seems okay. Except then they consign your items for WAY too much, and you can't edit the price lower on most so they don't sell (and they already kept your high price items for themselves). Then they give it 90 days I believe, at which time you can reclaim (25 pieces at a time) while paying for return shipping. If you don't want to pay, "it will become property of thredUP and will be responsibly recycled or sold at a later date." Therefore, they likely keep and sell your items at a discounted price. These are the items they actually tell you they consign. Who knows how much they keep that they don't tell you about! So, you end up doing tons of work sorting, washing, folding, and shipping your clothes in to make nothing for yourself but profit for a greedy company. Please donate your clothes to someone in need instead. Trust me you'll feel much better about it!! (And by the way, I had items with tags still attached that they supposedly didn't keep. In fact, they supposedly didn't keep anything from that ENTIRE bag. I call bull).

bg62
6/23/17

After waiting an inordinarily amount of time to have my clothing assessed, I was extremely disappointed. My clothes are all very expensive, gently worn clothes . Most are top designer brands. Out of 20 items only one was accepted for $30, if it sells. I asked for the items to be returned and they said I did not sign the initial agreement to send them back.They did not honor the time frame to assess the clothes. Do Not use this website. Give your unwanted clothes to a worthy cause ,not this money making phony operation. FED UP

tonyap10
6/22/17

I sent very high end clothing. Huge bag. Ralph Lauren with tags, Calvin Kline etc plus size clothing as I had lost weight. Truly nice items. After 2 months of wait time...38.00 received. I could have made that with one down vest I had sent in with tags...190.00 tag still on item. A rip off. I will never EVER send Thread up a thing.

kaylab49
6/22/17

Love love love thredUP!!! I found thredUP by accident 4 years and I've been a fan ever since. Great prices & great customer service.

deirdrem12
6/22/17

I had been consigning with thredup for awhile and I had asked that they donate the items they did not accept. The payouts became increasingly less and less and they started accepting fewer and fewer of my items. I finally decided to document everything that I sent into them in a clean out bag. They took forever to process it and when they finally did they had chosen four of my items for consignment and told me that they donated the rejected items(which were all clean and designer items from the last few seasons). I was shocked and quite skeptical at this point so I was diligent and searched their site over the next week for my rejected items. Well, sure enough there they were listed and for a lot of money. I contacted them immediately and demanded that my items either be returned to me or credited to my account and I had proof, including pictures of the contents of the cleanout bag and even my dry cleaning tags that were adhered to the labels of the closes I sent in. They gave me the run around, acted like I was claiming items that were not mine. I was not going
I let this go because I am sure that this was not the first time they had sdone this to me and countless others. Finally, one person finally paid attention and put all those listed items into my account. THEN GUESS WHAT THEY DID? Two days later they flagged my account and banned me from thredup after stealing from me, I had been just assuming that they had been donating my items all along but they had been profiting! They let my items sell and then sent me a check for the balance owed to me. So what they did was beyond fraud. They knowingly cheated me and stole from me. I reported them to the BBB and I am hoping to join a class action lawsuit against them, their behavior and actions are criminal.

adenannec
6/21/17

I sent a large bag of beautiful clothes, professional ones. I made sure each one was new or like new, laundered, pressed, neatly folded. The site gives you a general idea but I feel totally ripped off. I saw a few pieces online and they deducted $5.00 for the bag already. I might cash out and decide what to buy with my $ 2.21. Next time I will donate my clothing to organizations that help women dress for job interviews. NO MORE thredUP for me. Total waste of time.

sarahp186
6/21/17

I ordered 8 pairs of pants for my daughter. ALL 8 pairs of the jeans were listed as a size 10. I double checked each item before ordering to make sure they were not a 10 slim (I even searched by size 10 regular). When my items arrived (in about 6 days) 2 of the 6 pairs of pants were indeed size 10 Slim. So, I went back to my original order that I placed online just to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind that day and missed that I had ordered sizes 10 Slim on those two pairs of pants. I hadn't.

Call me crazy, but if you continually send people the wrong sizes on 25% of their order you will not be in business long.

jennifert140
6/21/17

A friend of mine told me about ThredUp and how she shops their resale site. She hadn't tried a CleanOut Bag yet, but I thought it sounded like a easy way to earn some money while doing some spring cleaning, so I decided to give it a try. I literally feel like I've been robbed! I sent in over 30 items (Boden dresses, JCREW dresses and separates, Gap, Banana Republic, H&M, etc.) They paid me $11.61 for it all! REALLY?? I could've donated it to Goodwill and got a better tax write off, let alone sell one of the Boden dresses on eBay for triple that amount! BEWARE! Don't use their CleanOut Bags; it's not worth the loss. (I sent in my CleanOut Bag back in April, and although the $11.61 is in my account, I can't "Cash Out" until June 28. Man, I need to start one of these resale websites. They are making a killing off of you, because you are actually giving them your clothes. DON'T DO IT! Lesson learned on my part...RIP OFF!

angelat66
6/20/17

This website had a good start in the beginning. Then they got greedy. I recently sent in a bag of name brand items including a Michael Kors bag. They now charge $9.99 for clean out bags. It took over a month to review my items. I was told my items costs less than the price of the clean out bag. How is this possible? Where did my Michael Kors bag go? It went right into their inventory selling for $49.00! But I received $0?? Educate yourselves before attempting to sell. I will never give them another dime.

tessaj4
6/20/17

My bad that I did not look at online reviews of thredup before "selling" with them - just google "thredup reviews" and you will see there are literally thousands of complaints regarding selling. My experience was essentially the same as Nellie's - sent 22 items, most with tags still on from stores like Ann Taylor, J. Jill, Banana Republic, so on (in other words, no low-stuff) and got a whopping $9 payout that, once they deducted their "costs" meant I got basically nothing. How does a company get away with this? They deserve to go under and I will tell anyone I know.

kristens49
6/19/17

I used to enjoy thredUp, and didn't mind that I didn't make a ton of money, as on their website it says the donate what they do not use. However, recently in my area they started charging to process the bag, and I made $0.54. Seriously? I follow all the guidelines, and nothing in return. I'm not okay with that... And, you can not find anywhere that states where they actually donate what they do not accept; I won't be going back to their site, they can keep the change.

lesliep48
6/18/17

ThredUP has been a favorite option for finding low priced designer clothes since I first discovered them. They are super convenient and when items don't fit, the process to return them is very easy. Always excited to get my green polka-dot box.

megang45
6/17/17

My bag has been in "transit" for almost a month, and I purchased the return insurance. I emailed them once and asked about it (frustrated), and was basically blown off like others have said. The second time, I replied and said that I would like my items "returned" since I had purchased the insurance to have them returned. They could not locate the bag and offered $75 immediately crediting to my count for cash out before I replied. I replied and told them what was in the bag and they issued another $125. So, I ended up getting cashed out for $200. I don't know what is going on with this company. The reviews are all over the place.

lilym40
6/17/17

I really enjoyed shopping on this website although recently their prices have increased two fold. However, I just underwent the process of sending them a bag in hopes of making a profit but I was deeply disappointed. They accepted 8 name brand items from my bag and promptly decided that they were collectively worth $10. However, after adding the prices they had listed them they would make a profit of about $100. I understand that the company also pays for shipping and handling, but 10% is not worth my time. I'd rather sell it on my own or give the clothing away to Goodwill.

janeb129
6/16/17

I really used to like them, altho their clothes aren't always the best deal. I also liked being able to send in a bag as I was decluttering my closet. However, this last time was ridiculous! I sent in about 16 items with half of them with tags still on (Bebe, VS Pink, etc,) and relatively new due to a weight loss and my total was 1.00. The other items were put "on consignment," with an expectation of about $10! I would have been better off either donating or selling at Platos Closet. This experience has put a bad taste in my mouth & I will no longer shop there. Very disappointed.

Here is an example of something that just sold on consignment. This is an example of what you are looking at for the money:

Selling Price: $27.99
Your commission: $5.60
Money Available on: 7/2/17

WOW - I might as well have tried to sell on ebay or donated it for the money I received.

Helpful answer

If you think your clothes are worth a lot, then take the time to sell them yourself individually by piece to get what you want out of them. If you have some decent pieces and just want the ease of someone else doing the work, then send them to thredUp, with the knowledge that they are running a business so you will not get the sticker price you want. If you were planning to donate things anyway, then why not get a couple bucks out of old clothes that have served their purpose? I love the idea of upcycling and the fact that these clothes will not be garbage.

By Carlieanne E. on 11/10/15
Helpful answer

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S. on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep] on 10/15/15
Helpful answer

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R. on 9/4/15
Helpful answer

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g. on 9/26/15
Helpful answer

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W. on 11/3/15
Helpful answer

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S. on 6/9/13
Helpful answer

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S. on 10/27/15
Helpful answer

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F. on 5/20/15
Helpful answer

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D. on 4/14/15
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

15 Photos for thredUP