Review of thredUP

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

sabrinac21
3/28/17

Ever since they changed their policies and started deducting $10 from YOU for sending your clothing in, they must have also changed their payout policies. I sent in a bag recently where they accepted 14 items- 14!- and I'm receiving $3. What?! I could have done better with a garage sale selling everything for a quarter each! You have to order the bag, fill it up, drive it to a drop off point, wait months, then, once they finally go through your bag, wait even longer for your funds to be released, as a way to try to get you to spend it on their site instead. It's a great business model, if you think about it: have people pay their own money to send stuff to you that you can sell for a large profit and pay them almost nothing. Genius. But it's also taking advantage. Don't sell your stuff with them. Just don't. Plenty of sites you can use that will pay better. try LetGo or craigslist or a consignment shop.

dotc2
3/28/17

I sent in over $1000 worth of clothing and shoes - many new with the tags still on.
I got $15.
They * some of the brand new, never worn, still tagged items as "having faults" (so they could shot me $$ I'm guessing).
Every single item, alone, was worth more than they paid out to me in total.
Never again.

joannd26
3/26/17

I sent a beautiful, twice worn, $180 white, Kasper suit, along with 4 blouses and 7 pairs of shoes. I received $11.50. I need that suit back. This is nuts.

karenc216
3/26/17

It is so much fun to shop the huge selection to find the fashion items to fit your exact style and fit your budget too. If your item isn't exactly what you had in mind, refunds and/or exchanges go off without a hitch!!

shalondac2
3/26/17

They will still your clothes for pennies on the dollar. DO NOT SELL your clothes to them...I sent in a huge bag of basically new clothes and shoes...shoes never worn and some of the clothes had tags on them...I received $20...I gave them $10 back to send the unwanted clothes back...but then I look on what website for some of my clothes...they sold on of my dresses for $60...so do yourself a favor and find a better selling website for your clothes...ThRed NOT!!!!

nikkip29
3/26/17

I have a six month old baby. A ton of clothes (brand NEW, brand NAME) given to us were for the wrong season. I had a winter baby and was gifted all these beautiful summer infant clothes. And babies grow faster than they wear most clothes. Long story short, tags were removed for the first initial wash before a baby wears clothes. But my girl didn't wear any of these clothes. I sent OVER 100 ITEMS of beautiful brand name clothes never worn!! AND I MADE $00!!!! They said I made $5.00 but after the shipping fee of 9.99 I'll legit get nothing. I'm sick just thinking about this!!!! All of those clothes gone! Wasted! And I guarantee they are selling them! There's no logical reason to turn them away! I didn't expect them all to be accepted because I felt that was a pipe dream but they only accepted like 5? No. That's just not possible. There is a local comsgnment shop that just opened here. I spoke with the owner she she said she has heard this complaint about ThredUp. I will bring her the clothes now. And FYI I peeked around the shop and they are gently used baby clothes and my clothes gave to thredUP were in better condition then what people are buying (and they were there buying) from this shop. I feel like they just stole from me and my baby!

brandib19
3/26/17

I am so please by their fast shipping, beautiful packaging and clean clothes it's literally like theyre from the store if they didn't advertise it was a second hand store i wouldn't have ever known. 110% recommend this site

deniseb116
3/25/17

I have to agree with other negative reviews. I sold through ThredUp twice, and both times were a huge disappointment. I sent clean (sometimes new with tags), current, stylish, name brand clothing, and I received pennies in return. It was unbelievable. I had heard great things about this service so I was very excited. I didn't even mind the length of time it took for the company to process my items. But ThredUp seems to be a scam. Trust me, you are better off donating your items than selling through ThredUp.

bhinnap
3/25/17

I used to love Thredup. Buying, not terrible even though their prices are through the roof now. It's the selling part that I have an issue with. What a joke. I would literally make more doing a yard sale than going through Thredup. The audacity that they would have to take 2 months to "process" your items, and then oh, just kidding...you're going to have to wait another month because we are "overwhelmed by the number of bags to go through." Without letting the customer know...ever...I would have to reach out to them and ask wtf the delay was. Not to mention the last time, I sent in a bag with 30 almost brand-new and brand name items, and get this, it came out to a whopping total of $10...which was promptly taken away by their new "$9.99" fee that they charge just for them to take 3 months to "process" your stuff. I'm selling on Poshmark now and have earned $700 in the past 7 months. Good riddance, Thredup. Thredup? More like fed up. Learn how to treat your customers better and stay in business.

katieq2
3/24/17

They say clothes are in "excellent condition" but have obviously been worn and laundered several times. Items I ordered were all labeled excellent but had dry rot, color fading, piling, and weren't clean. The prices are ridiculous for this kind of product/service. Spend your money at Goodwill, at least then your money goes to charity.

cassien5
3/24/17

When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Sent in a giant bag based on my friend's recommendation, she's a regular buyer and raves about the site. So easy right? The prices for buyers are low so I can see why they like it! But the "commission" is a joke for sellers. Not sure on their formula but looks like 1%. Not even sure why they call it commission since the items they are selling are MINE. It should state that their commission is "99%." But who would use them if they said that?! Example; almost new Tea Collection shirt. Retails $45, 1-2 seasons old. They sold it for $9.99. Congratulations: I got a whopping $1 "commission." NO CONSIGNMENT STORE WOULD RIP YOU OFF LIKE THAT! My total on the giant bag is around $11 (after they take their shipping costs.)
DO NOT RECOMMEND. You'd feel better giving to friends and donating to charity. Or do the work yourself and list the items on eBay. More work but WAY better return.
Moral: Spending a lot of $$$ on clothes and consumption is a suckers game.

lauram243
3/23/17

Thredup used to be great to sell clothes and buy clothes. Now it takes forever to have your clean out bag processed and the payout is way less than it used to be. I can do better at my local consignment shop. They also seem to have no system for what clothes they take, some of the items on the site now are just wow! The website needs improvement with its searches. Im not sure how much longer I will be shopping/selling through Thredup.

christginer
3/23/17

They emailed me confirmation of receipt of my bag 8 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since. They won't return any of my emails or phone calls. So i assume they are doing this to others as well.

megank43
3/23/17

I have to echo negative reviews from other sellers. I currently have two items listed on ThredUp that are miscategorized, so they don't show up in searches, and customer support will not change the categories.

Also, those two items now show up as "unavailble." Punishment because I pushed to have items recategorized?

And yes to other complaints:
- Seller has to pay $$ to mail "prepaid" cleanout bag (they deduct it from your earnings)
- Payout low, especially after ThredUp deducts its fees
- ThredUp rejected barely used (one with tags still on) designer items
- inaccurate search engine
- VERY DIFFICULT to actually communicate with customer service. In case you can't find it on the website (because I couldn't), here it is:

amyc155
3/22/17

I've used thredUp on both ends of the spectrum, as a consignor and a shopper. Both experiences were easy breezy. As a consignor, I love that I just have to request a cleanout bag, stuff it with all my gently loved garments and accessories, then send it back.
As a shopper, I love that I can read product descriptions, place an order like I do on any other online retailer site, try the pieces on when they arrive, and send back what doesn't work for me. Super simple and super affordable!

judyj32
3/21/17

Ordered coach wallet. It's description : original price 250 and excellent condition looks brand new. It was delivered wrapped in what looked like graph paper and right away I knew it was fake. First, it was no where near "excellent condition " . It looked old from outside. Inside, made in China tag with no imprints of coach on zipper or anywhere else. Showed it to my friends and they all said it was fake. I submitted a complaint letter to thredup. A day or two later I received an email that expressed concern. Told me to return the wallet and it will be refunded. However instead of refund, I received an email that that states their items are knock off and basically stating they will not refund the purchase. I was so disappointed and beyond upset. Here I thought thredup is honoring their mistake but I was wrong. They took my money, made me believe I was getting my money back and also made me return the fake wallet. If they took the wallet to a coach store they will point out why it is fake. Still very upset and very disappointed. Just bought a brand new coach wallet on ebay for 60. From now on, I rather pay 10 or 15 more and get a brand new item with piece of mind.

lisal250
3/20/17

Excellent for a buyer but for a seller...I just list a LOT of money. I received 17.95 for BCBG, Ralph Lauren, and Calvin Klein items. They gave me back 4 items that they did not wish to sell. They sold about 9 items!! Wowwww. Do yourself a favor and eBay it yourself or pay someone who will do it for you. You will not make any money with this company. I feel like i was really ripped off! Don't listen....then you will see. Sellers beware!!!

laurab176
3/19/17

I learned about ThredUp from FB, and decided to give it a try. I didn't like the fact that you can't browse the site without logging in with FB or Amazon profile- so they're harvesting our data too? What are they doing with/how are they selling that information? Anyway, I looked around on the website, and was underwhelmed. The pictures were not very clear, no close-ups, no garment measurements or fabric contents- this can be very important to those with allergies. I was surprised to see lots of old navy merch, and for not that cheap, when they claim to take "only the best brands". If I want cheap Old Navy, I will wait until Old Navy has a sale or buy clearance and just get items new.

Anyway, I decided to give the consignment a try, especially since their plus size offerings were sparse and I needed to thin out my closet. I ordered a bag, filled it with things that I thought were great- pieces I have 'slimmed out' of as I lost weight, and not really worn that are basically brand new, good brands, good quality. I looked at the payout calculator on their site, and was a little bit concerned when I saw how little items were being paid out for- 25 cents for a pair of dress pants? 50 cents for a pair of nearly new lands end jeans, or $1.70 for a LE dress that lists for $79? They didn't even have things that high quality for offer on their site when I browsed.

So, I didn't realize when I ordered the bag that it costs $9.99 just to ship your stuff to them. With them offering pennies for your things, you will end up in debt just to ship them your clothes, which they will then turn around and sell for a nice profit. This isn't a good business model. If you want donations, you should explicitly state that- not claim to be "consignment" and then insult people while stealing their clothes. I thought about mailing the bag in, but in the end decided to donate it to my local Goodwill and take the tax write-off. My two cents. I will try elsewhere if I want to sell my things online or locally.

tereseb2
3/19/17

My friend was using ThredUp as a buyer, and she liked it because she could find inexpensive clothing and shoes. Since I've been purging my closets, I ordered a few polka dot bags and sent in tons of clothes, coats and shoes to ThredUp. I am still waiting for them to process my last two bags, and I sent them in over a month ago. After they evaluate the contents, they propose a price to you. When you accept it, you have to wait 2 weeks for the funds to be released. (Why? So that you opt to use them on the ThredUp site, where there isn't any delay in accessing the funds.) Then, it takes another 2 weeks to actually receive the gift card. As an example, I sent in a bad on Feb. 13th. It has not been evaluated yet, so I will not receive any funds from this bag until at least the 3rd week of April.

Stay away from this site, sellers! I'm now selling on Poshmark instead. So much faster to get your money.

Tip for consumers: Terrible deal for sellers.

susanh228
3/18/17

I much prefer buying gently used, higher quality clothes rather than brand new cheap stuff. That's why I keep coming back. However, it can be hard to find what I'm looking for. Clothes are frequently tagged incorrectly--wrong color, wrong gender, wrong style--and even when tagged correctly, the search doesn't always work. When I narrow my "pants" search to look for "gray," it returns zero results, even though there are obviously hundreds of pairs of pants that are tagged "gray." I've tried this on multiple days, different devices, so I can only assume there's something wrong on their end. Finally, they need to start tagging the fiber content. Sometimes you are only interested in a wool sweater, or a silk blouse, and right now it's impossible to search for that.

carmenm44
3/18/17

I sent in a bag, full of designer clothes, one dress was from ScoopNYC all linen and with the price tags on it for $300, and I received like $40 bucks, and a dress from Anna Sui I only received $20 bucks. :(

However, the clothes from the Gap, Banana Republic, Zara and Anne Taylor Loft were better priced and sold for more money. Like a lot of consignment stores, the people that price these items out, have no clue how much some of these clothes cost.

I have a lot more to get rid of, but think I'm going to shop around...

amye37
3/18/17

I used to love Thredup, but like many others I have found, the new policies are atrocious. I used to pay for a much smaller bag fee, but decided to try my luck on the new $9.99 bag. I have successfully sold most of mu old closet, and received anywhere from $5-$25 to apply to an order. Yesterday, after waiting months for processing and days after the estimated date. I was given $10....before bag fees. I kid you not, I RECEIVED ONE CENT FOR MY MANY CONTRIBUTIONS. ONE. CENT. This is disgusting. I am placing one final order, but then O am finished. They are bad business. Bad for selling, and I no longer get coupon codes (which used to seem plentiful, and now are impossible). There are plenty of other sites and local stores I can give tbe same business to with more benefits. I can't believe how bad this business has become in the year and some that I have been using it.

taral36
3/17/17

I've ordered 3 separate orders now, the first of which was 11 items, and the 2nd 2 orders were several items each. Thus far, I'm super satisfied. Everything arrived timely and in excellent condition. The packaging and tags are high class. I sincerely LOVE this experience. Thank you!!!!

blairo5
3/16/17

I've used ThredUp for a couple of years now. I've gotten some really cute clothes for a steal. I've also sold women's and kid's clothes. I didn't get much for them, which was fine because my goal was to get the stuff is out of my house, not to make a bunch of money. Bottom line: if you're shopping, ThredUp is awesome. If you're cleaning out your closet and not looking to make any money, ThredUp is convenient. If you're wanting to sell your stuff and make money, have a garage sale.

jessicah146
3/15/17

As a seller: I paid a whopping $10 to send my stuff, and they only paid me $8- And that's with a high end skirt new with tags!! They gave me pennies for the rest, but not enough to even cover the shipping and handling fees. So I LOST money by selling to them!! Financially, I would have been better off donating to a charity!

As a buyer: While I was waiting the three months for them to process what I sold, I did some shopping. Big mistake! It was described as like new, but it smelled like dirty gym socks that have been buried in a sweaty locker all season. It was also covered in pet fur (thank goodness I'm not allergic) and had crumbs inside one of the sleeves. Disgusting! If they are going to sell something for $20 when they only paid 50 cents for it, you'd think they'd at least have the decency to shake the crumbs and fur off before shipping!

TERRIBLE customer servce. HUGE rip off!!

107 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
akhilar
Akhila R.
3 weeks, 4 days ago
Answer
amyb35
Amy B.
A: If you read the reviews, people are satisfied (or very satisfied--which I was) with purchases. The complaints are about the prices and policies if you are selling items. I found the descriptions on garments to be very accurate, and I am very satisfied with my purchases--they were inexpensive, good quality, and the delivery speed and packaging were impressive.
3 weeks, 1 day ago