Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

janetd62
8/18/17

Used to use Thredup all the time. The profit I made wasn't great but it was so easy it was worth it. NOW...they've changed! They charge for the bag which comes out of your profits. They accept almost nothing even if never worn. Last 2 times I didn't make a red cent! Just horrible!

soniab33
8/17/17

I have not ordered from this site but can tell you I won't be. Prices are too high for used items. And according to all the bad reviews it's not worth your time and effort. Don't bother.

melissaj79
8/17/17

More than a month behind. Accepted 8 items that were brand name clothing some never worn and gave me $3 and then charged another fee so my payout is $0. Ripoff and will be contacting someone about closing this site down

marybethb7
8/16/17

They are weeks behind and giving me nothing for new clothes one clothes worn once. I got next to nothing

ambern16
8/15/17

'I ordered a clean out kit, with "return assurance", sent in A LOT of items, most new, with tags still on them, they only accepted a few things, DID NOT return the other items, and told me "too bad" when I questioned them about my items, and when they would be returned. I would not recommend sending items to them, they are in essence, just thieves.

janinej9
8/15/17

I sent a bag of clothes in which took 3 months for them to review. After they took out their $4.99 bag fee, I made $0.71. Not worth it! plus they sold 8 of my items by the time I made my 71 cents for $8-$15 each. TOTAL RIP OFF!

wendyd60
8/15/17

First of all, before I sent my clothes in, I searched everywhere on their site for info regarding payout amounts. I couldn't find anything, but felt like it couldn't be terrible since I'd heard so much about it. I was wrong. I sent in 24 items, all were brand new with the tags still attached. Retail value was over $600. Everything sold on their site fairly quickly, but my payout was only $11 and it took forever to be able to have access to that. They left it in a pending status FOREVER. I had one jacket that was $60, they listed it for $9 and I only got a 5% commission...45 cents. I should have just donated it all locally. I feel completely cheated and ripped off.

joannat21
8/14/17

I should have done some research regarding this site. Most of the items I sent in were worn once. They are in perfect shape. One item from Ann Taylor with the tag still on. They didn't accept any of those like new item. Horrible experience. I thought they would donate unaccepted items, but in the email they sent me they said "Remember, 100% of your unaccepted items are repurposed through our textile recycling partners." What does this even mean? I doubt that they are making money via clothes that they did not accept. I should've just gone to a local thrift shop.

maryr246
8/14/17

The first bag I sent in I received a fair payment, most of the items were new with tags, I was hooked. The other 4 bags, most of the items were new with tags and I received ridiculously low payouts. When I called there was no one that could tell me why I received $2.35 for a New with tags coat that they sold for over $30. This happened repeated, I would never waste my time on this site again.
Mary R.

mimiy4
8/11/17

I sent a bag of clothing, all of them are the brands they require.
And there are a few Zara clothes I sent in that had only been worn once. They didn't take any of them.

dianag70
8/11/17

Consistent with other reviews it's a complete waste of time. You pretty much end up losing your payout up front due to the shipping charges and the additional charge if you want your items back. It took them forever to process and honestly wasn't worth my time. Could have sold it for more on ebay. It isn't convenient since they take forever and provide you little updates. Take the time and sell it on ebay and know that you will get way more than here.

joyl7
8/10/17

I sent in almost 120 on trend New York designer outfits from trendy to more traditional, in near perfect condition. They accepted almost nothing, The amount they gave me for what they accepted didn't even cover the cost of sending in the bag that they charged me for. What they accept they take 80% of, yes....they take 80%!!!! On top of that I'm trying to clean out my closet and the only thing they give you is a credit in their store. Why would I want to buy more clothes? I wish I had chosen my own charity to donate the clothes to because I have no confidence at all if they even tell the truth.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother, either sell your self or just give them to a worthy charity of your choice.

lisav67
8/10/17

Sent in close to 30 items.... most were high end designer with little to no wear. Took 2 MONTHS for Thredup to process my bag after they received it and they paid me $36?! Are you kidding?! And what happened to the items they didn't accept? They were "donated" ... probably to staff. What a complete scam do not send your items here!

jl202
8/9/17

22 payout minus the shipping fee they charge for a full bag for clothes. Brand clothes. New clothes. I'm disgusted

tamarak19
8/8/17

I ordered two dresses, one shirt and a pair of pants and only one was the right sizes and that was the pants size 22. The other three should have been 5x,5x,4x but I received xs,xs,3x so I reported the problem so I'm sending the three items back but I will have to pay to send the other three items back. But I'm going to have to pay for the Seller's $#*! UP. But on the order sheet has the sizes that I ordered a size 5x,5x, 4x. So if you use thredup try to get entouch with the Seller's so you don't have to pay for the Seller's $#*! UP......

alicias65
8/8/17

$1.10 payout....never again. I could have donated the entire bag and felt better about it. Sent current items too. A few actually had tags still on them. Items that they 'suggest' are items that they could sell.

susans371
8/8/17

Like many others who are posting, I sent a bag of clothes two months ago and still nothing. Their customer service replied today that they are having "processing difficulties" and they don't expect to get to my bag until Aug 23. And once they do, I don't expect a good outcome. Lesson learned

danig26
8/8/17

My first (and last) clean out with thredUp ever! Sent around 15 pieces of clothes, mostly Zara and all clothes never worn. They accepted 3 items, other recycled and got $3.95!!!!! Only a Zara skirt I payed $120 and it's never worn because of pregnancy (reason I sold my clothes is to buy new pregnancy stuff).
Anyway, don't do it, I am crying now for my clothes. I wish I gave them to charity. Also I am never ever buying anything on threadUP again!

nicoleg89
8/7/17

I started shopping with Thredup over a year ago and have had so many bad experiences that I'm done. On 5 separate occasions now, I've ordered things that were described "like new" with no damage, but then they show up with very obvious stains, or large holes in them where the seam has come apart, or the matching belt that's supposed to come with the item (and was pictured with it on the site) is missing. Each time, I contacted customer service and nothing was resolved. They are very rude and not helpful in the slightest.

I also sent a bag of clothes to them, and like many other people have mentioned, they only paid a tiny fraction of what they ended up selling my clothes for. I sent in high-end items, many of which still had tags on, and the bag was packed completely full. They sent me about $18. I could have easily made over $100 by going to the local consignment shop. Seriously, don't waste your time or your money. They're a total joke.

melindaw22
8/6/17

I ordered my clean out kit and I paid extra for them to send back my items that didnt make the cut. (Which they did send a few things back, though I'm unclear what was wrong with them?) Anyhow, I was pretty excited, thinking I would at least make some decent $$ for my clothing and shoes! WRONG!!! (I sent in all name brand, trendy, boutique quality clothing & shoes, some of which were brand new or barely worn. No walmart or Pennys stuff!)
Let's just say I was pissed when I only recieved a credit for around $37!(one pair of handmade, name brand sandals were sold for over $100 on the site not sure how much$ I was given for them?)
I will never again, sell anything to them....I'd make more at a yard sale!
I did purchase a sweet pair of Frye boots and was given my 40% 1st time order discount. That was my only posetive with Thred Up.
Not pleased at all.
I GIVE THEM LESS THAN 1 STAR

eulinej
8/6/17

..have tried to get on this site twice today. it keeps saying i have an incorrect e-mail, and password.never been on here before. EULINE J

tinaw97
8/5/17

I am SO disappointed with my experience. I received my clean out bag and stuffed it to the max with almost new clothing, a lot still with tags even! After waiting 8 weeks for the bag to process, I found out they only kept 12 of my items to sell and I only got $14 for it! I totaled up how much they were selling all my items for at it was well over $140. I then received an e-mail from someone at the company claiming to be a real person, not a robot, who wanted to know how I enjoyed my experience whether good, bad or indifferent. This guy, Anthony, claimed he responds to every e-mail personally. Well, I wrote an e-mail explaining my frustrations and ended by asking to know where the clothes that were not kept were donated to. I have yet to receive a response over a month later. Thanks Anthony. Do yourself a favor, stay away!

patricial105
8/5/17

DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!!

krism62
8/5/17

Please do not send in your clothes ...it's a total scam. I was told the exact same thing (too many bags, 2 to 3 more weeks etc). Update ... I got a whole $12.20 for my 50 pds of clothes . They said they accepted 7 pieces. Some of the items I never heard of .
Please Please do NOT send your clothes .

dianes192
8/4/17

It is a scam! They will steal your clothes! I sent in my clothes and shoes (couture items and brand new shoes, Laurel, Escada, Sam Edelman) over two months ago and was supposed to receive a LATE payout yesterday and they just told me that they will start processing my bag in 10 to 14 days from today. There are hundreds of reviews of people never receicing any money and I am another case! DON'T DO IT!!! It is a SCAM!!! They are selling things for $3. How do they make money? They don't pay the people sending in the clothes!!!!!

Helpful answer

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F. on 11/10/15
Helpful answer

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S. on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep] on 10/15/15
Helpful answer

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R. on 9/4/15
Helpful answer

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g. on 9/26/15
Helpful answer

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W. on 11/3/15
Helpful answer

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F. on 5/20/15
Helpful answer

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S. on 6/9/13
Helpful answer

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S. on 10/27/15
Helpful answer

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D. on 4/14/15
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP