Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

br19954
10/19/17

Found a designer wool coat, in excellent shape, priced well, for $50. Order went through, confirmed, was charged the money. Checked my order today, coat mysteriously disappeared from my order (of a couple items) and credited. No notice was given me. I found this out online by myself. IM'd the customer service, "before packing we double check the quality, it says it had flaws." ?? Hmmm. I asked 'what were the flaws and why wasn't I notified to still keep my purchase? The online description described it as brand new.' I know TU selsl 'slightly used' clothing with 'minor flaws' at other times. Customer Representative said, 'It doesn't say.' Oh - so it seems the person packing it thought they would keep it for themselves, list it as flawed, and credit my account. This has happened to me twice. Sending all of the other clothes back from the order once they arrive - seemingly poor integrity to their system. It just is too coincidental that is was a great find, in season, for a great price. My purchase never arrived.

jodien4
10/17/17

The prices that they post as the original price is not true. They take the tag with the MSRP price and list it is that being the "original" price when everyone knows no matter where you go that the actual tag that was sent with the clothes with the overpriced price tag is not the actual price hanging on the rack at the store but they listed as such on thredup.anyone who does as much shopping as I do and see that this website is a scam and is not truthful with the clothing and what they're worth. I bought a dress from Target about 12 years ago on clearance for $4 and I saw the exact same dress just now on this website for sale for almost $7. this website is a scam... I can get brand new clothing at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for way cheaper.... this website is pure crap...and a lot of the clothes on this website are very old and being sold for way more than what they're actually worth.

kathleenq2
10/16/17

I sent in two FULL bags of never or rarely worn children's clothing, all top brands, some with tags. All items clean, no stains, rips, loose buttons, etc. All items they said they needed, sent at the start of the fall season. They took four items from the first bag, which was less than their charge for receiving bags, so I got $0. They took four items from the second bag (none of the perfect-quality winter coats, but two hats...) and announced they'd changed their policy and I could not actually cash out the whole $3 they were offering. I'll have to wait til the items sell. I don't mind that policy - I mind them changing these policies regularly. As another example, when I sent in both bags, sending bags was free; by the time they opened them, they charged me for one but not the other. I don't mind them choosing not to take my items, but they must be far more clear about what they tale so that I don't send things they don't want. These were the quality, brand and type they said they wanted. All I can guess is that in the eight weeks it took for them to open my bag, they had enough of those items and no longer needed mine. Fine, but in that case they ought to offer to send them back. They also should not change policies mid-stream. I am very disappointed and will not use them anymore.

breec9
10/15/17

Sent a HUGE bag of gently worn or brand new name brand clothes like Free People & Lucky Brand. Could have made a few hundred off of ebay but thought it would be easier if someone esle sold it for me. The gave me $30. They ripped me off so bad!

erinw60
10/15/17

I sent in a completely full bag of name brand clothing, belts, purses, all gently used, and recieved ZERO payment from thredUP. Nothing was damaged in any way and was very well taken care of sweaters, blouses, pants, etc from jcrew, banana republic, loft, nordstrom, belk. This was a complete waste for me and I could have sold my items elsewhere. Do not use this company, a complete scam.

anela6
10/13/17

I sent in one large bag and was only paid $18. All my items were new with tags or in excellent condition and Thred Up listed them all as such. They made way more on my items than I was paid for them. They ripped me off. I would have been better of selling my items on Ebay. Thieves. Thieves. Thieves. I will never do business with them again, selling to them or buying from them. I would be purchasing items that I'm sure they ripped off from other angry sellers as well.

amyh188
10/12/17

Do not send your clothes to thredUP to sell. I sent 2 large bags of new and gently used items. All were current fashions, no stains, snags, tears, etc. No broken zippers or loose or missing buttons.
The estimated time to process was 3 weeks. It took closer to 8 weeks. Fortunately, they waived the $9.99 per bag processing fee. They estimated the value of the contents (70-80 items) to be $26.55. If the hadn't waived the processing fees, my payout would have been less than $7.00 for 70-80 items!
The two options for payout are credit with thredUP. Since several of the items I have purchased in the past were either the wrong size or damaged, I decided to cash out. They sent a pre-paid gift card. After having the card declined multiple times, I went online to the cardholder's website and learned that I can only process purchases for 80% of the value of the card. The instructions for processing for the amount on the card do not work. Ripped off in several ways.

sheilag35
10/11/17

These people do nothing they say in the advertisement on TV. Sent back clothes and the only way they said they would return my money was through pay pal I don't have nor do I want a pay pal account I paid with a credit card wanted it returned that way.They took a month to even respond and still have not fulfilled their responsibility.
Service and customer care sucks. Service rep said they didn't know how to return money back on a credit card !! They sure know how to take your money from a credit card.

merlees
10/10/17

After sending a few bags for donation and a few for pay out, I realized how untrustworthy this company is. I am extremely aware of quality standards as a designer myself, and therefore I only send sellable items in the pay out bags, and less sellable items in the donation bags. The most recent bag I sent was worth HUNDREDS of dollars, and though I knew I would get less than I paid for these items, I did not expect to get less than $40 total! I cannot emphasize how insanely small that amount is in regards to what I sent. Additionally, items that were in excellent condition from stores like Express and Vineyard Vines, were not accepted. The company also does not tell you why your items are unaccepted, and I wouldn't be surprise if they are still somehow making money off of these items. I have no doubt that this company will start to have trouble when people get fed up with the payout they receive and no longer have things to sell. At the end of the day, if you want to donate items and do not care to get anything in return, they'll make it easy for that, but if you're selling your clothes because you need money, don't expect this company to do anything to help you.

Tip for consumers: Only donate clothing. They basically steal your clothes if you're trying to get anything in return by selling to them.

paulined19
10/10/17

I sent in 13 items of my very best, most with tags still on, clothing and they paid me $14.10!!! I should have read the fine details before I sent my clothing in. I will never recommend selling to Thredup but may consider buying from them if I ever get over the disappointment. Plus, I sent in my items and it took them THREE MONTHS to process.

pamelag47
10/9/17

Thred up is one store that I have to shop every day. They have so many items to choose from, clothing, handbags shoes etc. They are mostly named brand items that you would spend a lot more for new. Thred up is constantly putting new things on line to cho0se from. Easy checkout and to top it off they have your items packaged in a box with cute polka dot tissue paper. Check the store out. You won't be disappointed. I never have been

taom7
10/9/17

I have been using thredup for quite few times. The website is ok, but their shipment and customer service is HORRIBLE!!
It says delivery is 3-8 days but mine takes aways 10-12days.
The product I return 3weeks ago hasn't even scan yet, and they says its all about Fedex fault. They have nothing to do.
Ofcourse no credit has returned yet.
Seriously horrible.

dianem147
10/8/17

Sent three bags of beautiful clothes months ago... NEVER saw a dime! They keep on emailing me saying we will review soon.... OMG Awful!

mariej53
10/7/17

I would not recommend this website at all.
Especially if you are selling them clothes.
Plus, I sent a bunch of clothes and accessories and one purse.
I asked for the clean out bag back if they didn't want it.
And I am missing few of them!!!!
They didn't take time to put my clothes back in the bag, it seems like they just throw it back in there!!!!!!
I really should've read the reviews first.
We can't even talk to a customer service representative on the phone.
I hated the experience!!!!!!

pg54
10/7/17

DO NOT EXPECT TO GET MONEY FOR CONSIGNMENT! I should have read the reviews first, and for that I have literally paid the price.

ches434
10/6/17

If you are buying clothing, good experience. If you are selling your clothing, NOOOOOOOOO! They give astonishing small return for your products. It is criminal! I sent them a bag full of brand new clothing, purses, shoes, jackets, ALL beautiful, brand new and they gave me twenty dollars in return. You are better to sell your clothing or even give it away! I would not use this company. I read reviews saying the same and I didn't heed to the experiences of others. NOW, I know! I will not sell to this company again.

tiffj5
10/5/17

I will never send anything to them ever again. They claim that I made $4 but then took it back for sending me unwanted items back. So I made nothing and they made $100 off the clothes they kept. They are a rip off. I hope they go out of business!!!!!

nancyf74
10/5/17

I just filled out a complaint to the Federal Trades Commission and encourage all of you to do the same.

katieh97
10/4/17

Seriously if you wanna make ANY kind of money sell it at a local consignment......NOT HERE!! I sent in a bag with more than 20 clothing items (nice clothing)....I got $4. They sold my Eddie Bauers skirt for $11.99 and gave me $.50 cents of it....seriously thats $#*!ty!!! SUPPORT LOCAL!!

ellieb44
10/3/17

They're a scam. They try to make it look as nice as possible and just take your stuff just to donate it; they probably get a tax credit from all the donations. I contacted customer service they didn't even read my concerns they ignored me and gave the ride around response. Never again!

sandyp55
10/3/17

If you like getting .30 cents for something that they sell for 8.99, or my favorite 1.30 for something they sold for $28.99, sure go ahead. I sent in brand-new with tag items that they paid a pittance for, then they turn around and make a big profit off of my mistake. You are better off donating and getting a tax refund than sending them your items....AND they say try contacting them - they sent me a standard response and then ignored me.

celiag9
10/2/17

I sent them a HUGE bag of high end baby clothes, and received $0. I sent Janie and Jack special occasion dresses that are perfect for the upcoming holidays and got $0 for them. What is that about? These dresses were worn one time! I wish I had read the reviews before sending these items to them.

charleyg12
9/30/17

Never again will I send them clothes. They are taking your clothes and paying you very little. Less than what you would probably get for selling yourself at a garage sale. This place needs to be shut down for deceiving sellers and buyers. Your bag gets picked through specialist? These specialists are keeping things for themselves. How does high end items get credited for cents! Cents! Thred Up you will be shutting down soon. You can't and won't keep stealing from customers and get away with it.

traciec6
9/30/17

I thought I would give actual numbers of what I have received vs. what they have made on the clothes I have sent to ThredUP. Most of the clothes I sent that they have sold they have categorized as excellent condition. Some have been new. A few were gentle wear. In April of 2015 I received an upfront pay out of $118.73. The items they actually sold brought them $297.33. Received 40% of what they received. I actually think this is fair. Fast forward to April of 2017. I received a payout of $53.50. The items they sold brought them $193.89. I received 27% of what they received. I don't think this is acceptable. I might give them one more shot but if I receive less than 40% of what they receive I won't send them clothes again.

shaneb53
9/29/17

STAY AWAY! They stole my clothes! Free People and 7 for all Mankind items worth over $300 and they paid me $16.00. Worse yet, I paid to have my unwanted items returned...thank God so I made NO MONEY! They got my clothes for free and they call this a business! I could cry!!!

Helpful answer

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F. on 11/10/15
Helpful answer

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S. on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep] on 10/15/15
Helpful answer

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R. on 9/4/15
Helpful answer

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g. on 9/26/15
Helpful answer

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W. on 11/3/15
Helpful answer

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F. on 5/20/15
Helpful answer

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S. on 6/9/13
Helpful answer

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S. on 10/27/15
Helpful answer

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D. on 4/14/15
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP