US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

stacim6
9/29/16

I've sent 4 huge bags of clothes to them, knowing the value I'd get was only pennies on the dollar but it was fast and painless, unlike trying to sell them myself. Yes, they bought a lot but in total I've only made about $50 from them and found the items I bought in return to be more used than gently used for the price. Their return policy really blows too. You have a small window to try on the clothes and get everything back to them and if you don't get your stuff shipped out in time, you're stuck with them. I requested a return in 4 days, packaged it up and then the package got forgotten in my car for a couple of extra days so it's been "cancelled" even though it's under 14 days from delivery of product. bleh. Oh, and no one ever answers your emails requesting help and they won't let you call.

Also, they now send anything they don't buy from you to a reseller instead of donating them to charity as they did in the past (unless you pay $12.99 to have the unwanted stuff returned to you) claiming this helps them recoup labor costs (which I would have thought came out of the sales proceeds). Not sure this is worth the time and effort and I won't ever buy from them again.

robint36
9/29/16

I tried it all with them ... send a bag of "almost new" items. One of 10 or so accepted, rest rejected. Ordered overpriced used items. What I sent was better quality and it had been rejected? Didn't like most of what I ordered but kept it. Received damaged shoes ... rhinestones on strap were obviously missing. Was told I was given a discount price cause it was seen when packaging for shipping. No call, charged me shipping for an item I would have declined. Issued me a credit upon complaining .... at first they wanted me to pay shipping to return a damaged item to them ... WHAT? Refuses to credit paypal or send me a check for the balance in my account. Their response "thredUP credits are not eligible to be transferred out of the account, they are only eligible to be used toward orders of shop merchandise and shipping". So I have to buy something more expensive than my balance and pay shipping to get my money back. To me, this constitutes STEALING, and STEALING is a core value of ThredUp. Note ... I communicated 3 times with them about closing my account and being paid my balance. Got the same response each time.

ellens52
9/29/16

I sent one bag in as a test with six adult dresses and a few child dresses, meeting the designer/label requirements. Thredup accepted 4 items and "paid" me $3.65 minus the $6.99 they charge to "donate" your unwanted items. I won't do this again.

staceyc36
9/28/16

What a joke Thred up is! I sent a HUGE bag of nice stuff...they give me $9.95...NEVER EVER AGAIN

janf32
9/28/16

I ordered a sweater that said "you could mistake this for brand new." UH-HUH. I got the sweater and the sweater had several large snags. It also was faded. Because the sweater was marked a final sale, I was told I could not return it. I don't recommend buying from ThredUp unless the item is new with a tag on it!

michellem203
9/28/16

I cannot stress enough to absolutely NOT consign with Thred Up!! I cannot comment on shopping their website but I can attest to my dealings with them sending in their "clean out bags". I'll try to keep this to the point. First experience was about 6 months ago when they partnered with Macy's and the credits you earned for the clothes you sent them was put on a Macy's gift card. I requested my first bag, promptly filled it and sent it in. Turn around time was pretty reasonable and of the 38 pieces of clothing I sent them, they accepted 29 and was paid $60 and some change on a Macy's gift card. I was conservative in how much I sent in and what I sent in for this first trial because I wanted to "test the waters" so to say. I was pretty pleased with the outcome first time around so ordered another "clean out bag". This time I selected the option to have the unwanted items returned mainly because I was sending in some higher end and quality items which included 5 pair of designer shoes and 2 Coach handbags along with 48 pieces of clothing. Let me add that you do not get any kind of "receipt" or confirmation email indicating that you've selected to have your unwanted items returned, just an email confirming they received your request and your bag will be on it's was soon - this is important to remember. After waiting over 2 months and way past the deadline they told me my bag would be processed by, I received an email informing me that my bag had been completed and they again,ironically, accepted 29 items for a total of $56.55 - this included them accepting a few pair of the designer shoes I sent them but not the Coach handbags (one of which still had tags on it and had never been used). I emailed them to ask when my unwanted items would be returned and they informed me that I had not selected that option and those items were gone for good - including the Coach handbags!! We emailed back and forth a couple of times and they told me if I could provide "documentation" of selecting the return option, they would CONSIDER compensating me for my loss. Of course I had no such "documentation" for the reason I explained earlier. My last email was asking for a customer service phone number to be able to actually speak with someone instead of communicating via emails - take note that on their website or anywhere on the internet will you not find a customer service phone number. That email was a week ago and I have gotten no response from them. Like I said, I cannot comment on buying things from them but will not ever consign with them and have informed all my friends and encourage you to take my warning to heart and not do it as I guarantee you will be disappointed. Granted, I wasn't 100% pleased with how much they gave me for my items the first time around but their website's idea and concept was more convenient than driving to a local consignment store which is why I tried it the second time and that time sent many more things as well as designer items. Their customer service is, without a doubt, less than a one star rating. It's understandable why they do not post a customer service phone number and only "live chat" times and an email address. This way if they want to ignore your questions, complaints and dissatisfaction, they just don't respond to you. I will never consign with them again nor purchase anything and that would only be because of their extremely poor customer service. You make your own decision but if you choose to deal with them, be prepared to be disappointed.

juliam69
9/27/16

I sent three bags to thred up six weeks ago. The quality of the clothing I sent was nearly new and included quite a few designer pieces. When I initially sent the bags, the options for unaccepted clothing was to either donate them to charity or return them. I selected to donate to charity. Then, before my bags were processed, they changed their policy. They now send your "unacceptable" pieces to a third party seller - which means they are making money off the pieces they don't keep from your bag. Even though I checked the charity option when sending my bags in, they changed this policy AFTER I sent the bags. I feel ripped off. Why should they make money reselling MY clothing/belts/shoes? And who is the third party seller? The whole thing feels dishonest and I feel taken advantage of. I have another bag ready to send but will never send another thing to thred up. I'd rather donate the items on my own.

leahk11
9/27/16

I started using thread up about a year ago, their prices were reasonable, clothes were good quality, and my payout for items was reasonable - still much less than they turning around and charging for the clothes, but that's to be expected with any second hand retailer now days. The latest bag I sent in had over 30 items, all in like new condition and fitting their name brand requirements.

I sent the bag in July and was told after they received it that they would be processing it in October..

Thredup has really gone down hill unfortunately, they now charge you $5 to send in a bag, and usually accept just a few items (average payout of $10). The rest of the items they don't accept they SELL to fabric buyers and other "responsible recycling" companies. Don't let them take advantage of you, bring your clothes to an local upstanding consignment store or thrift shop!

I will NEVER be sending or buying from them again.

shannonh49
9/27/16

I bought a bag that looked totally cute online. It came in the mail, finally and it did not even have the right measurements and I could have gone to Target and bought a brand new one for what I paid and the shipping and handling they wanted for it. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. There are threads hanging, clasps not working, smells like cigarettes. Not at all what the picture and description claimed.

Tip for consumers: Do not buy from this "company", unless you have money to throw away (I don't).

teresao13
9/26/16

I sent a big bag with good clothes and 3 pairs of designer shoes, even with their boxes, only wear them 1 time , very expensive for me, counting of having g any good money back for me to be able to shop a nice purse they have and loved. They ONLY paid me (not yet) $18.00 for everything. I feel they took advantage of me.
DO NOT SEND ANY ITEMS TO THRED UP, it,s better to sell them through LETGO, or to your nearest consignment store.
Teresa

lisab270
9/26/16

I have tried to contact them every way I can think of...no go! They don't return emails or calls. They sent me the wrong receipt with someone else's information. Who got mine??? I have only a short time to return items, which they are going to charge me to do. I am super disappointed in this company :(

leighs31
9/25/16

I've used this company at least three times and had good experiences every time. It's perfect for buying clothes for young kids. The clothes are affordable and name brand. Everything comes packaged so nice (wrapped in tissue paper and each tagged.). If I had any complaints it would be that I live in GA and they ship from out West. It takes a good week and half to 2 weeks before you get your order. Other than that it's well worth the time for the savings you get. Highly recommend!

tk47
9/25/16

Do NOT send your clothes to "sell" on ThredUP!!! This place is a complete ripoff and joke. Like many other sellers, I sent in a full bag of nice brand name, barely worn- most items with tags still on them...thinking this was a great solution to having to wait in line at Buffalo or other consignment stores...WRONG! It took forever for them to process my bag, and when I finally received the "Payout"- I was in complete shock. $18 total, for J Crew, BCBG, Zara, Tart, CC, items WITH TAGS!! You're better off keeping the items, or donating and at least benefiting from the tax deductions. ThredUP basically steals your clothes, sells them for a profit, and gives you nothing. What an awful site- THREDUP YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. I hope enough fashionistas get robbed by you, and the class action lawsuit shuts you down.

jeanniew6
9/25/16

They don't answer their phone, they don't return voicemails, they don't respond to emails. Their customer service is a brick wall. I stopped buying from them, and I'm telling everyone I know to STAY AWAY. And DO NOT send them your used designer clothes because you won't see any money. They are a SCAM

marym388
9/24/16

I sent in two pairs of brand new top of the line shoes. They were willing to give me $4.00 for one pair and I could donate the second pair. By the way that pair appeared on their site for way more money. This company scams you,by tells you send it for,free the. they charge you to ship to them and sell your unacceptable items. If it is to go d to be true it is...

soyiniw
9/24/16

While it is true that, as a seller, I should have read their policy more closely, that does not relieve them of their responsibility to me. I sent in clothing that was all brand new, some luxury brand items and received less than $12 for what I could have sold for probably about $150. Further, I never received the measly payout they claim they sent and they mis-categorized some of my items and assigned and sent back items that weren't mine. I will be filing a complaint with whatever agencies oversee consumer and business affairs and I suggest anyone else who has had a negative experience with them do the same. Start with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) CA Attorney General. They need to be shut down.

vickiel8
9/23/16

I wish I would have read the reviews before sending my bag because I would have donated my clothes before sending to ThredUP. The small amount they give seems not to be worth it and I would get and give more joy by donating the clothes or giving them directly to a needy family. I will update this review when they calculate my bag. I gave about 6 pair of pants, 4 tops, 5 dresses, and a pair of shoes. Mailed 9/18/206.

melissas145
9/22/16

I LOVE ThredUp. I work in the fashion industry and looking my best and staying current is vital to my business. Shopping ThredUp is smart. I can buy the brands I love without spending a fortune. The clothing always comes in great shape and I have never been disappointed. ThredUp keeps me looking good without damaging the family budget!!

lynnn19
9/20/16

Nice items. Not the cheapest or always exactly as described but easy to shop and return if necessary - and returns are free if you're willing to take store credit. Shipping is also free if you spend enough - easy to do with their huge selection. Have bought and sold a few times and will do so again.

songjap
9/20/16

With the everchanging trends and demands of a young teenage girl, thredup allows her to have the styles and brands she wants without breaking the bank! This has been a great way to allow her fashion freedom and the opportunity to change her mind and her styles at reasonable and fair prices. We have both been impressed with the varied selection of brands and styles, as well as the quality of the pieces. Sizing can be a little hit or miss, but if you know your sizes in the brand you should be fine.

michelec40
9/19/16

I sent items to this place that had been worn once or not at all and got paid less than $1 for the items. This should be illegal. after them processing two very full bags of nearly new items, I had not even covered my shipping. One bag I earned $6 and one bag I earned $4. Shipping to be paid back is $6.99. I am in the hole. Both of my bags had over 20 items in them.DO NOT sell your items to this place. It is a legal way of ripping you off!!

judyg39
9/19/16

The items ordered were in good condition. How ever some did not fit (not Thredup problem). The problem is trying to return anything. I forgot my password. After the return period expired I finally got the email to reset the password. I WILL NEVER USE THIS WEBSITE AGAIN.

jennb14
9/19/16

For the most part, I've had a good experience buying clothes. The prices are great and the condition of the clothes is made clear. I did have some trouble with clothes sizes not being clear. I received pants that were unspecified Talls, for instance.

Selling, however, is a different story. I had a HORRIBLE experience with sending in a brand new, unworn pair of shoes in a brand they accept and they told me they had pictures of the wear and tear. They never showed me these alleged pics. They refused to investigate further and were "unable to send them back." The shoes had been in a box, completely unworn, so basically someone in the warehouse decided they wanted to take them home for free and just listed them as having come in in bad condition. Beware trying to sell stuff to them.

amyh121
9/19/16

I sent a bag to ThredUp.com last month. The bag was packed with business casual clothes, many of which were brand new. I received my payout today. $15... oh wait, $8 after they deducted shipping. $8 freaking dollars! I could have made so much more selling the items for a $1 at a yard sale. This place is a scam! They pretty much stole my clothes!! I wouldn't even give this place a half a star, but it won't let me submit my review without clicking at least one!

beller2
9/18/16

I sent them a bag FULL of name brand clothing in hopes of getting some money back. I would've been fine if it wasn't a huge amount, but they gave me NOTHING. And most of the items were $20 each or over (WITH THE TAGS STILL ON) They stole my clothes!

86 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
11 hours ago
Add your answer
1 week ago
Answer
amyh121
A: I would not send anything to this company... or if you do, please read the fine print. They supposedly have a chart that explains how the payout works. I will give you an example.. for a Vera Bradley belt that I sent in... I think I paid around $20-$25 for it, maybe wore it twice. They valued the belt at $10.00... so a 5% payout... I made $.55. Clearing not worth it. I could have sold it at a yard sale for probably $5. Or gave it to Goodwill and at least got a tax write-off.
1 day ago