Review of thredUP

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

susans344
5/22/17

I was just about to send in clothes and did the price estimator first. How can they justify paying .70 for a shirt they sell for 24.00!!! Same with Polo, cents for a shirt they sell for 14.60. People! They are taking your clothes and selling them for themselves. Complete rip off.

helainek1
5/22/17

RIP-OFF central and I am simply going to contact the Secretary of State office off consumer affairs.

janeto22
5/21/17

Gives you dust for your brand new on trend wanted stuff scam af,,,charges ridiculous prices to ship one small item that weighs nothing, charges an additional 5 dollars for every item you buy. An absolute scam.

michellem278
5/21/17

Something very sketchy is going on with Thredup. My higher-end, on-trend, like-new clothes were allegedly not accepted, yet all of my cheap, fast-fashion stuff with extremely low payout rates was. Smells like a scam to me.

angiea15
5/19/17

Recently I purchased a pair of Tory Burch sandal on this site, item arrived totally not as described. The shoes had major discoloration which was not mentioned in the listing. And I requested for a full refund including the shipping cost. They only refunded me the cost of shoes and just ignored me afterwards for the remaining cost. The site doesn't give a crap about the customer service, they only do the minimum which is TAKING your money. On top of that, you can't get hold of anyone to resolve any issues arise. Don't waste your money like I did.

dawnea1
5/19/17

Dealing with this company is a waste of time, energy and money. The payout after bag fees, return fees and the frustrating amount of time and energy spent trying to follow this company's arcane accounting system is so low that you might just realize you have paid them to list your items for laughably high resale prices. The discrepancy between the poor condition of some items I have purchased and the criteria for the items they purchase makes me very suspicious. Keep it local. Use consignment. Donate to anywhere but Goodwill to Billionaires. I predict this scam will be out of business within a year.

mh177
5/18/17

I am dying about all the people who spent big bucks on clothes they have never worn (tags still on!) & are now pi$$ed off because an online consignment shop is giving them peanuts.

andreab160
5/18/17

65 cents for several items in excellent condition and a brand new Vera Bradley bag with tags...yeah, I should have just donated. Also, their prices have gone way up and I can get much better discounts at a retail store during sale season. Never using them again.

ritae9
5/17/17

I purchased several items under the impression it was all carefully inspected and priced accordingly. Well, one skirt has to be repaired before it can be worn, the clutch bag is something I would have thrown away! It was abused and used...I paid a good price for the clutch and it was a final sale...No returning it! The skirt wasn't worth the store credit because I probably won't shop there again...The zipper has come unsewn!

Tip for consumers: Just don't use this site... Go to Goodwill, just as good and you can use your own judgement as to the quality....

bettyb86
5/17/17

I used to love to buy on the site; however, they have raised the prices significantly the past week. Prices now 20 to 30% higher than they were a week ago. Too expensive can find the same items much cheaper elsewhere.

maureenl26
5/16/17

I sent new with tags on and nearly new items Only four accepted and after a "bag charge" I earned $5 on the four accepted items Nothing on the site sells low enough to explain that !

michelleh216
5/16/17

I sent a bag of clothes so full that it would hardly close. My clothes were all new or in like new condition. All good brands. I earned 6.55-4.99 for shipping for a grand total of 1.56. Boy I better not spend that all in the same place. I could have sold them locally for way more than that or for 1.56 I could have donated it all to the homeless shelter and been happier.

I would give this company negative stars if I could. I contacted them about how I felt, they said basically company policy.

They have to be making tons of money because they are getting lots of free clothes.

kathyp75
5/15/17

I waited 2 months to find out how much they were going to give me for my giant bag of clothes. It was a ridiculous 14.00. Then when they deducted the $10.00 shipping fee I got a lousy 4.00 for beautiful designer clothes!!!! RIP OFF Big time. I would have been better off burning the clothes as fuel.

andreaw63
5/15/17

I used to enjoy the experience of buying and selling with ThredUp. However, the last couple bags I sent in I hardly made any money, even though I sent name brand clothing in great condition. Last bag included a like-new North Face jacket - they didn't even "accept" it. I'm guessing someone on the staff just took it instead. And they want way too much for used clothing. I switched to swap.com for online consignment.

jacquelinew42
5/15/17

I placed an order with Thredup and every item purchased were smaller in size than the average USA sizes for women. I sent the order of 112.00 back in exchange for in-store credit which was an even greater mistake as it has been four weeks and nothing has been credited to my account as promised for the returned items I sent back to the company. The other complaint I have consisted of no real tangible way to contact Thredup for customer service in an effort to answer questions about their products. This appears to be another way to avoid direct contact to answer and address public inquiries. I thought this would be a good way to support a small business that came recommended through a reputable TV news source. I am letting the public know that this is not the way a good company should work and spread the word about Thredup's unethical business practices to only swindle the public out of their hard-earned finances.

heidin10
5/14/17

Take high end clothing with tags and don't sell. Clothes with tags name brands never worn and they don't sell them.

marym504
5/12/17

I use thredUP all the time to buy clothes. I think it is crazy how expensive clothes are these days ($70 for a pair of jeans?!?!?) and thredUP has been a great alternative. There are A LOT of options and if you are trying to be REALLY thrifty, the basement is a great place too. Shopping, ordering AND returning are all extremely easy.

My only complaint would be the payout for cleanout bags. After the fees etc. it barely amounts to anything. I have sent in several bags (i think about 4 at this point) and in all I've probably gotten about $40. My advice: Buy from here and don't spend ridiculous retail prices, and donate your used clothes - it's free and an easy way to unload a lot of goods!

carlaa21
5/12/17

This is my first and last time buying from thredup What a total rip off .Over priced items not worth the $$$ .Anyone reading this review stay away from thredup.

teresaw70
5/10/17

I ordered 88.00 in clothes from Thredup. I'm disabled and don't have much extra money. On top of it they were clothes for my nine year old son. I was a first time buyer so I received the 40% off. So I was able to get a lot of things. I was so happy. But for some reason my clothes keep getting sent to the wrong address. Not one address, but three wrong addresses. They split my order up into 5 shipments. One has gotten here. One pair of jeans. I'm in Winter Garden, FL. Two packages were sent to Davenport FL. Another to Pennsylvania. And another to California. They were rejected as wrong address and returned only to be sent out to the wrong address again! I've checked and rechecked and the address on my account is correct. I've emailed and all I get is the runaround. One said they would send the packages back out but they still went to the wrong address again!!! Customer service just repeats what I told them in my emails then tell me to contact them if I need anything. Again and again!!!. Fedex says they can't help me because the shipper has to fix the addresses. Thredup doesn't do anything. I've sent dozens of emails about this and haven't even gotten an apology! I found their number and called but you get an answering machine and they never call you back! I'm so frustrated I want to cry at this point!

latoyaw14
5/10/17

Thred up is a complete rip off I sent in 26 items of which 20 was accepted high quality item some of which still had tags and got referred as to being used we with some signs of wear which was never used or worn and their payout is horrible example my payout after paying to ship back 6 items was 47.25 minus the ship fee they sold 1 of my items for 40.99 they are a complete rip off I don't recommend sending them anything they don't even give you the option to accept or decline their buy they need to be stopped from being able to get peoples items and not pay them for it.. This is nothing less than online shoplifting

edinad
5/9/17

I used to be a huge fan of ThredUp and used it all the time.... Well that stopped after I got pennies for my last cleanout bag that contained skinny (not the bell bottom that thredup has so many of...) AG and Abercrombie jeans, CK dress.... good stuff but a size too big on me. And then I get e-mail after e-mail saying that my item has sold... Of course it was sold, it was amazing, except I feel like I've got cheated out of my clothes and got the middle finger in return as a payment. I just went to tjmaxx for the shopping trip I would have done at thredup, and the prices are better for NEW clothes! Whatever happened to this company? I will rather dump my stuff in a clothing donation container than fuel this nasty enterprise. I don't even want my stupid little 'balance', use it for a new CEO who can get you out of this mess.

ank229
5/8/17

A TOTAL RIP OFF. I SENT A BAG FULL OF CLOTHING, ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, SOME WITH PRICE TAGS. THE TOTAL PAYOUT -$24, WHILE THEY SET RESALE PRICE OF $20-40 FOR EACH ITEM. SOME PIECES IN THE CONSIGNMENT EARN ONLY 5% IN CONSIGNMENT FEE! LOCAL STORES PAY 50-70%. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE EBAY AND GOODWILL. AVOID SCAM.

sarahb301
5/8/17

I love the ease of ordering but best of all I love that the selection constantly changes. I have found the staff to be quick to respond to inquiries and help when needed. I have been using Thredup for a few years now and can't imagine ever getting tired of it!

marsr
5/8/17

This site is horrible. I sold them my clothes, they took 4 items. Designer shoes, 2 pairs of Ann Taylor shorts, and a tank top from forever 21 with tags. All of the items sold for over $20 each within 15 days. They gave me a $2.63 payout, but ended up being $0.00 because of shipping costs. Soooooo dumb.

heatherf60
5/8/17

Bad experiences repeatedly, will never buy from again.

Inaccurate descriptions, with minimal details. I've received items that have been completely altered and nowhere in the description does it mention this. I've also received the wrong item, and extremely worn and old looking items that I overpaid for. The description claimed the articles were in better condition.

Also, don't sell to them. They pay a pittance to you.

118 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
carynm4
Caryn M.
on 6/7/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

15 Photos for thredUP