US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

kalliel
2/21/17

Long time buyer and seller here. Total lifetime payout of over $800 and I've only ever used it to get more clothes from them so I have a bit of experience with thredup. Let me just say that they used to be amazing. I averaged $100 on every bag of designer items I sent. HOWEVER, things have gone flying downhill and crashed in a burning heap. If you're just looking to shop than I say the site isn't so bad, I've had a few experiences of items arriving with holes or strange smells but the return policy is free and easy (for now) I will no longer be shopping with them because I wont support their conning of people. But as of Jan 2017 sending in items to sell is a WASTE of your time and items! Please hear me, I desperately regret sending my last two bags in. They took many of my designer items that they used to give me $100 for and instead gave me $4!!! I was shocked and disgusted when I added up how much they were going to make off my items was over $400. Screw. That. And just know that the minute you put your items in the mail, they are now property of Thredup and nothing you can do about them offering you pennies while they make hundreds. Such a disgusting way to run a business. I really encourage you to take your items to a local consignment where you will make abundantly more anyway (like 30-50% of every sale) and support small business owners while donating the rest and getting a tax write off. Don't even get me started on their customer service, they couldn't care less about your concerns and send you a generic "sorry you're disappointed" email over and over again.

lornar4
2/20/17

I love receiving my boxes everything is so wonderfully packed, clean , mostly new items and it reminds me of shopping online at any other Department store even though this is a second chance outlet. Love Love ThredUp.. will keep searching and shopping

lizb82
2/19/17

I've been using ThredUp for more than a year. I probably won't sell to them again - initially, it was free and would could get $15-$20 credit fairly easily. However, the new "deposit" thing is very discouraging, and not worth my time to try to stuff a bag with enough to payout. HOWEVER, they have been shipping much more quickly lately, and it's still an easy and fun app to use. I will continue to shop there, and donate my stuff to charity locally.

bradis1
2/19/17

I ordered the most amazing deals my first order, it was delivered with in a week and a half. Everything was freaking perfect. So sent promo invites to my friends none of them have been able to utilize this opportunity for a few bucks back in our pockets, making it seem as if not a legitimate offer. Other than that it would be nice to get my second order in such a great timely fashion it's been almost 3weeks now for 1pair or jeans had service been consistently provided service I'd be apped to give a 5 star rating no problem or doubt about it!

maras16
2/18/17

When I stumbled upon ThredUp I was mostly looking for an (easier) way of getting rid of my old clothing in a responsible way. Who knew I was going to find something so wonderful! From the first polka-dot box I received in the mail to the thorough and careful email-updates I got about my Clear Out Bag, I continue to be impressed with your company's mission and work. As a recent design school graduate, I am happy to be supporting and working with a website/concept that is so beautifully executed, and so well-run! Can't say enough good things. I've been your biggest hype man since December.

vanessap36
2/17/17

I sent in my very large bag and 9 items were accepted. I got paid 8.55 for them. Three of them have sold already. I should have donated my clothes locally. I wasn't expecting to make lots on these items but didn't expect to get less than $1 per item. Not worth the effort

juliad39
2/17/17

I have bought for myself and my pregnant daughter. The service is great, and i love their mission statement of why they exist. I tell everyone about them!

romanc14
2/17/17

They LOST my return items!!!!

I paid for the 'Return Assurance' - meaning they would send back any items that they chose not to keep. Well, after waiting a couple of months, I contacted them and was told, "oops". They lost 10 items! Then, they told me they gave me a crappy $65 for those lost items. Really???? $6.50 per item???? This is not acceptable!

laurenj31
2/16/17

When I first discovered ThredUp I thought it was a great idea - send in your unwanted clothes, get paid, others buy, and the stuff they don't accept goes to charity. Now it is as awful as ever.
First they started charging $8.99 for the bag's S+H (which I didn't notice until it was too late), don't accept as much as they used to, and pay next to nothing! Also, the whole "charity" thing seems a bit sketchy - the site doesn't really explain exactly where they are sending these unaccepted items. I bet some employees just swipe what they want for themselves to take home.
I once sent a pair of brand new, never worn, Charlotte Russe heels that apparently weren't accepted, I figured "OK brand isn't good enough" - but then I saw the EXACT same shoes in a different, yet similar, color for sale!
I'm not going to go into detail about the three bags full of designer clothes I sent in and received $4.
Although, on the bright side I did use some of the money to buy a pair of Ed Hardy shoes in great condition that I absolutely love. Guess ThredUp may be decent for buying but DO NOT SELL!

Tip for consumers: My one purchase experience was good but don't waste your time selling on this ripoff site.

christinaw55
2/16/17

The selling process on thredUP is vague and misleading. They say they pay 5-70%, but nowhere do they qualify that so you know what percentage you get. The cost of the bag is too much at $9.99. I sent in many quality things most of which sold and I made $35.12. Compared to some reviews it sounds like I did well. I think the donation to charity is better and you deduct it from your taxes. At least then I don't feel ripped off by the whole process. If thredUP was a nonprofit, I could live with this business model. Bye Bye thredUP.

miag17
2/16/17

I tried thredUP on a lark, after seeing it "liked" by several of my friends on FB. I had an email offer from them for 40% off my first order (plus discounted shipping) so I ended up getting a NWOT designer jean jacket for the crazy low price of $14 (including shipping!). Not only did my order come quickly (faster than anything I've ever ordered off of Poshmark) but it was packaged beautifully in a sturdy box. Plus, upon inspecting the jacket, I noticed that the original pricetag was tucked in the pocket, so this item was essentially brand new! I've only tried them once, but plan to again soon. You should try it; thredUP is such a BETTER experience than Poshmark!!

jerig1
2/16/17

I sent five designer handbags, all like new, and my total pending payout is $3.22. And that does not even include payout fees, either. Thredup is the biggest ripoff on the internet for prospective sellers. Stay far away, as these people operate under the assumption that since sellers send in their merchandise and don't live close enough to sue, that they will just go away and not fight. Time for a class action suit against these thieves.

pk55
2/15/17

Don't waste your money. So disappointed about thredup. I ordered some clothes, bags, and shoes for my first order. The quality of the clothes are very poor! I mean VERY poor. The return policy was not clear. I ended up stuck with things that do not fit me or not wearable. No phone # to contact them if you have questions. The "contact us" link give only their address. What a joke! The only way to contact them is through live chat or online message. Staff is not helpful at all.

justycee
2/15/17

I was so excited to try this company. I love thrift store shopping and I was happy to find the convenience of this online because as a full time mom, I hardly have time to go to shopping. Anyway, so I tried the dressing room feature where you can try on clothes and send back what you don't want and you only pay $1 to use this and then only pay for the clothes you keep. Or so I thought. I was charged for all the clothes that were sent to me, even the ones that I sent back. It took me two weeks to get anything accomplished and then another "3-5 business days" to the refunded money. To top all of that out, they charged me MORE MONEY THEN THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO and I now have to fight for that as well. The company has a good idea but is not executing it well at all.

jerit7
2/15/17

I sent two full bags of clothing that were all namebrand loft the gap etc. and they kept half of it since the other half back to me charged me $10 per bag return fee and I end up getting a check for $1.32
This company is a huge rip off don't waste your time or money and send them your nice clothing that you could get more by taking to your local consignment shop

stephanieb131
2/15/17

They give you little to no money for your quality preowned items and then they have the audacity to charge you $10 to ship it to them. Sellers beware! Biggest ripoff ever! Stay away.

On the buying side, items are not advertised properly and you'll receive junk.

nicolem137
2/14/17

I've ordered a few boxes from Thredup and have always been happy with the quality. Some orders take longer to proceed than other but not overly so. Everything I've purchased has been in good repair, packaged beautifully, true to its online description and had fit like a glove. I have sung their praises to friends and family, near and far. I love it so much I have restricted myself from visiting their site for two weeks. (I've made 3 order in the last 10 days!)

shamikam
2/14/17

I bought mochino bag from them and sent it back in with my clean out bag and they didn't accept it back they kept my bag and it was in good condition. Paid $150 for it and got nothing back. I have also been paid very low for the pad few bags I sent them and now they have a processing fee of $9.99 for your bag. It's okay shopping with them but I wouldn't recommend you sell to them, better off selling on a yard sale!!

lynnj20
2/13/17

When ThredUp first started I sent in clothing and got reasonable payouts. Now they accept hardly anything, charge a fortune for shipping AND if they do pay you for something they pay next to nothing. Better off donating to charity!

theresam52
2/13/17

I am so sorry I sent my three huge bags of great expensive items to thredUP. I have three very spoiled daughters who outgrew a LOT of expensive brands of jeans, shirts, coats and hoodies. I literally was offered .40 cents for one of my bags. They have me some lame excuse about "pulling" and whatever other excuse they could imaging to not pay anything worthwhile.

marinab21
2/12/17

I've found lots of gems for on average $10 per item, even on clearance. If you know a brand of clothing and fit you like, be sure to check this site first to see if they have it. Sometimes even with tags still on, so brand new stuff you know will fit you for much less than going to the store. Love it, I will continue to shop here for some time to come!

jillp30
2/12/17

I've loved thredup for a long time as a buyer and seller, but something has REALLY changed recently for the Worse. My most recent bag they took only 4 items which is super low for me but I thought whatever it happens. Then I saw that they only gave me a little over $2 for everything! Including a NWT hat that retails over $60 and they have priced at 14.99 and a designer dress and two designer tops. I thought it had to be a mistake so I contacted customer service and was promplty ignored for a week. Then this Mylene girl gets back with me and replies with the same email to me twice in a row. Can tell they really pay attention. Ultimately she informed me that they would only give me 5% and sometimes 10%. If that's how it's going to be now, I'm more than happy to start supporting my local consignments instead. Their "convenance" of shipping things in has lost it's value (they've started charging $9 to send things anyway). I've been treated like an annoying inconvenience since the beginning from their joke of a Customer Service rep. So as a buyer and seller, I'm out. Do yourself a favor and look up local consignments, I make 40% of all my sales at mine! not this 5% CON of a website.

nancy-lyny
2/12/17

I have not been disappointed yet with my shopping experience with Thredup. I being a woman know sizes differ by brand and style so admittedly I buy stuff fully expecting some stuff might not fit me the way I desire, thus knowingly I may have to return. I always use the free shipping for store credit and just buy something different. My returns are processed quickly and I have not had any issues with my returns. I am now to the point I think most of wardrobe is from Thredup. LOL I also tend use the shopping option of NWT or nearly new so everything I purchase is in great condition. I have even shopped on here for clothes for my 7 and 5 year old grandchildren with much satisfaction.

I have only sold to them once. I will consider it a learning experience. While the ease of selling to them is wonderful, I was very disappointed with my pay out. They bought 4 clothing items from me; no designer labels, 2 items (Levi jeans and a top from Khols) had only wore once and bought just months before I sent to them. I was paid $2.00 for the 4 items after their fees. I also sold them a Coach purse which the selling and payment method on that was a bit confusing but I figured it out. My total payout was just about $62.00 after their fees. While I was not disappointed with my payout, I will not be selling to them again. This due to I don't have designer labels to sell each time to help bring my payout up, I have several consignment option in the area I live and the whole process of selling to Thredup took about 4-5 months to complete.That time is from requesting clean out bag to payout received.

I still highly recommend Thredup for shopping just not selling. I find many AWESOME deals here and who doesn't love that!!!

eia3
2/12/17

I received $5 for the almost $300 of new items, with tags, sent. They did quite well for themselves, selling the items at really good prices.

peggyj13
2/11/17

I learned about thredUp via FB &, although I had some concerns about not being able to try the clothes on, I went for the gusto & purchased 5 tops, a pair of suede boots & a Liz Claireborne clutch (small purse) in one evening.

I admit, I purchased a couple of the blouses knowing they MIGHT not fit due to the size information given. Yet, upon arrival, even the ones I was concerned about fit with absolutely no problems & looked absolutely stunning with a pair of black jeans & the boots.

The picture was taken yesterday. I'm wearing the paisley blouse that reminds me of the 70's (my favorite years) & which I thought, for sure, would be way to small for me.

Easy Peasy no hassle shopping. Exactly the way I like it.

Thank you ThredUp. I'll be back. :)

106 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question