US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

katiet33
12/6/16

I could have sold some of my items on eBay and made as much or twice as much from my entire bag. It's such a rip off! My first bag for some reason was never charged the shipping and handling of 9.99 so I thought this was a pretty good deal, although I'm thinking I could have made more on some items but then my second bag got charged the shipping/ handling fee and I received 2 dollars. I will never use thred up again.

melissav32
12/4/16

I wish I had done research on selling on Thread up. I sent in clothing in new and excellent condition and only received a little over 21.00 dollars for all of it. After they subtracted the ten dollar fee for shipping my items I am left with a little over 11.00 dollars in credit. It really is a complete rip off to those selling items. I wish I had donated the clothing I sent them to a charity. So, I learned. I saw a sweater I sent them for sale and they are selling that one item for more than the 21.00 dollars credit they gave me for all my items. I really like recycling/reselling clothing, but this is not the place to sell. They are taking serious advantage of sellers who only want to earn credit to purchase stuff from their website! I am very disappointed, but will find better websites. They are out there and Thred up does not deserve your items.

Tip for consumers: Stay away.

donnab153
12/4/16

I have bought several items from Thredup and have told all my friends,,,,so far so good for me I guess, I would most certainly buy from them again in the future

karins8
12/4/16

I have only purchased from this site and have been extremely satisfied with every item. The pieces arrived quickly and packaged perfectly.

melissas153
12/2/16

I sent a full bag if name brand clothes and some never used. My payout is $5, which I can't cash out because they charge $9.99 for shipping & handling. I should have donated at my local charity. DO NOT SEND YOUR CLOTHES TO THREDUP!! I'd give zerp stars if possible.

amye32
12/2/16

Don't waste your time!! I sent in a bag full. 3 items were name brand dresses with the tags on and several pair of unworn shoes and other gently worn items... they accepted 9 of my items, (3 expensive dresses with tags on keep in mind) and they gave me $5 and some change. This is a joke. ThredUP, you can keep the $5 and shove it up your a**. This is a scam... don't bother wasting the month it takes to get any response.

nicolettea
12/1/16

I sent a bag of clothes in to sell after my sister in law told me she had bought a few things from the site. Everything I sent in was in very good shape, still in style, just simply things that I didn't wear in the past few months that I didn't want to hold on to. I figured that they would take 50% of the things in there and even if they donated the rest that was okay with me. My problem was that when they finally did process my bag (weeks after sending it in), I noticed that they gave me a total of $10 for 6 items, and those items were being sold on the site for $30+. So basically, after their $9.99 shipping fee that they subtract from whatever you do sell (and if your items don't make it to 9.99 they will make your account negative), I made a penny. And now they are making $170 off of my items. This is basically a scam. At least if I would've taken them to Salvation Army or somewhere, I could have gotten a tax receipt. Instead I let a greedy company make money off of them instead. What a waste.

Tip for consumers: Just don't do it.

jeanied
11/30/16

I love Thread up. I try to purchase 2nd hand clothing for most of my clothing purchases. Trying to reduce my carbon footprint but, I love clothes. My kids clothing is a bit more tricky because they wear out clothes faster. I have received 3 orders and all of the clothes were in good condition and exactly as pictured. No holes, stains rips or excessive wear. The colors were slightly off and I only had one item I was not happy with but, it was the fit on me not the piece. I sent in a large bag of clothing and got about $15.00 dollars worth of credit. I would have normally just donated them to a charity so it was nice to have a little bit of credit to buy new to me clothes. So much easier than going to a thrift store if you are searching for a particular item. I am picky about my clothes and the brands I shop so it is helpful to know your sizing for different brands. If you are looking to make money by selling your used clothing I would probably not use Thread up but, If you are looking to get rid of clothes you do not wear or children have outgrown this is a great alternative to just donating them to a thrift store. The customer service is great.

jennym68
11/30/16

Sent in a HUGE bag of name brand and good condition clothes. Received just over $2 back!!! Never again!

katherinem52
11/30/16

While the selection and pricing for shopping is fine and I've been happy with purchases, I will not be frequenting this site any longer as I'm fairly convinced their buying process is a scam. Customers send in "clean out bags" full of items, which are appraised by their "experts." I'm convinced that the purpose of this appraisal process is to ensure that less of the bag is selected than will make up the shipping costs, so that ThredUp never has to actually pay out.

Case in point--I sent in two bags. Both were name-brand children's clothing in VERY good condition. I carefully selected ONLY name-brand, undamaged, unfaded, good quality clothing. There should not have been many rejects. However....Bag one: most of the bag was taken, and the amount was slightly over the shipping charge. Bag two: MORE clothes in this bag from MORE desirable brands, and FEWER items were taken, resulting in my payout not making up the shipping charge--and then the (miniscule) balance from the previous bag was deducted. We're talking bags full of clothing that one could reasonably expect to make $20-$50 consigning locally making $4-$10 on this site, eaten up by their shipping charges. Note: They also recently raised their shipping charge.

I'm convinced that their "buying" practices are in fact intended only for them to obtain VERY low-cost goods to resell (at significantly inflated prices from what they give their customers--much greater difference than local consigning), as they DO NOT pay out a fair amount on your bag. I wouldn't be surprised if their "experts" were trained to reject enough of a bag to ensure that payouts (and diminished returns for the company) don't happen.

DO NOT sell with this company, and if you don't approve of their practices, don't buy from them, either.

lindap165
11/30/16

I wish I had read the reviews prior to sending my merchandise for sale. All of the clothing I sent was in mint condition as I work in retail and the pieces were "like new" from my store or affiliate...
high end clothing. I'm looking at this as a donation but one of the items I sent was a Coach
Mercer handbag originally priced at $450 which literally was carried perhaps twice. I had put it on Ebay and the day AFTER I included it in my ThredUp bag I was offered $250 for it. They valued my bag at under $25.00. THIS IS A HUGE RIPOFF!!

russetc
11/29/16

I sent in over $500 worth of USA sustainably made brand new shoes and on July 25 they said they processed my bag and I never heard from them since. I kept emailing them for months and in October they get back to me with no information regarding my shoes. Then on Nov 28 I get an email that says my shoes were not in their brand line and that they sent me an email on July 25 asking for the return fee and I did not answer the email so they recycled them. No other explanation at all. Plus their customer service must be over seas as they word things incorrectly. What a scam. More than likely they took the shoes and sent them to China to sell. Do not use this site especially if you have expensive stuff as you will not get much for it or they will pilfer it.

staceyj20
11/29/16

I am so upset I didn't check these reviews before sending in my items. I sent in at least $35 worth of merchandise and received $7 for it. The prices listed online as the payout for your items are completely inaccurate and they charged me a shipping fee, which was more than what they paid me and was not stated on their site. I sent in a complaint letter and received no response, not even a simple apology for their lies. I would rather donate my items to others than "sell" them to this company and allow them to steal my merchandise. Whatever you do, do not sell to them.

angieh37
11/24/16

The values and the quality the company offers are excellent. Easy returns and great descriptions on all items. It really makes shopping a lot easier. My closet have been revolutionized with ThreeUp clothing for fractions of the regular price and I LOVE IT!!!!

pattyl22
11/23/16

I've been shopping on ThredUp for a couple of years now and have been very happy with all of my purchases. If something doesn't fit I just send it back. I've only had one experience where the item I bought didn't live up to the description. I sent it back and that was that.

I've sent in three bags so far and while I would like to see more money - wouldn't we all? - I'm not dissatisfied with what I have received. I'm happy to get my closet cleaned out.

nataliea19
11/23/16

I wasn't sure I could trust this company from the beginning and I was right. I filled a bag and sent it in, all excited about the convenience and seemingly fair payout. Thank goodness I kept track of the items I sent in, because they listed about 10 of them and sent "the rest" back.

Except about a third of the items I sent in were missing. Including three "brand new with tags" Lululemon track jackets. I can only conclude that the employees that sort through your stuff get to just take whatever they want and leave no record you sent it in. They must assume that you won't notice when you send in a bunch of items. I purchased the brand new Lululemon items for over $200, and expected them to price them similarly to other long sleeved/zip up items on the website for about $70 which would have gotten me $30 each for those along. Not to mention the two additional tank tops and Nike leggings that went missing.

I emailed them as soon as I learned about this and I barely got an apology and a $50 "make nice" credit on my account - no questions asked. It seemed like a such a canned response that I assume it must happen all the time. I replied letting them know that even that was unacceptable, I would have gotten at least another $100.00 from my clothes I sent in. The initial up front pay out was 43.00, which was low for my other items as well.

Whatever you do, don't send in your stuff. I have purchased from them a few times, and it's been fine, but they charge you if you want your money back when you send in a return. Now that I know the true nature of this company, I will not buy or sell from them again.

cherylh61
11/22/16

Thank you consumers for your review, I was actually getting ready to send off my clean out bag, buuuuut after reading your reviews, I will NOT do business with Thredup as far as selling my belongings. I recommend Poshmark if interested in selling your merchandise, they are a good company, I sell my things for what I ask for.

sydneye6
11/22/16

I mailed my bag on Sep. 20th, 2016. It took nearly two months for the whole process to be completed. Once they received my bag on Oct. 7th, I was told it would be processed on Nov. 7th. When I contacted them on Nov. 9th to ask the status of my clean out kit, I was told they had a "higher volume of Clean Out bags than normal" and never got a definitive answer. Once I finally got my payout on Nov. 18th, I was extremely disappointed. I sent a lot of clothes, shoes and accessories that I believed to be up to their standards, (name brands, tags still attached, minor wear, etc.), but my payout was only $15 and after they deducted the ridiculous shipping and handling fee of $10.99, my payout was only $4. FOUR DOLLARS! I really wish I would have known this process would have been so awful, or else I would have just donated my items to Salvation Army, or to a company that wouldn't take total advantage of the situation.

I will NEVER buy or sell from this company again, such a rip off.

jennaf15
11/19/16

I can't speak for buying from them, but I NEVER will. If you're smart and doing your research prior to selling with this company, please take this review (and the hundreds more) as a warning!

Here is the email I wrote to the Chief Marketing Officer who was "concerned about my experience:"

"I made the mistake of reading reviews on the Thredup sales process AFTER sending my bag, otherwise I never would have went with your company.

I realize my complaint will go unnoticed, just like the 100's of sellers who commented about your company. While I realize your company is putting itself out there for naming a price you'd pay out on unsold items, the price you give is a complete ripoff.

One of my items sold (two days after posting) and already you've made $10 of the $11.10 you decided my items were worth.

Most of my items were like new and several have NEVER BEEN WORN. I will feel much better about donating these items to the salivation army, will do this in the future and will never recommend or purchase from your company.

The only reason you still receive items to sell is because sellers do not do their due diligence and review the company prior to giving you a shot.

Thank you for your email, though I know this will go unread and unnoticed."

lesleat
11/19/16

I sold a couple bags of clothes that I was going to give away to charity. I did not get much money for them, but that was okay. I was really just trying to clean out my closet. I have not had much luck buying things. The items on the site seem kind of worn out and old to me. I have purchased a few things but not as much as I thought I would. I have had better luck on other sites for used clothing.

tabsj
11/17/16

I would not send them another piece of clothing. I sent 25 items pants and shirts still in style and I made $2.75. Not worth it.

victoriam80
11/17/16

This company gives you next to nothing for like new clothes and sells them for a lot more. I gave thredup quite a few clothes with tags still attached and was paid 80 cents, 70 cents etc. Only to have them sell my clothes for $19.99, $15.00 etc. They also charged me shipping (without telling me) so I didn't see a dime of my clean out bag. Screw this company and steer clear of them.

lindsayl16
11/16/16

I sent a bag of clothes in and they came back and offered me .45 cents for the entire bag! Sell your clothes in other ways - never send them your stuff. What a awful company!!

carolynd41
11/16/16

This is an absurd way to consign clothing if you actually want to make more than $.45 an item. I sent a bag FULL to the brim of moderately priced clothing in very good condition. I received 0 dollars and was charged for the shipping. It also took two months for the processing. I decided to try again with nicer maternity items since I wasn't able to consign them locally anywhere. Again, the bag was full and I received $17 with a $9 shipping fee deducted. I had a few items I figured I would send in a third bag just to increase my credit so I could just order something and be done with them for good- brand new with tags J Crew pants, some Motherhood items, a silk Calvin Klein dress,and a couple other miscellaneous items. I receive $7 total and once the shipping was deducted, I actually LOST money sending them additional items!! Items I could have consigned locally for far more than $3 each!! What.the.F?? I will never do business with this place again.

lesleyk10
11/15/16

Hi there just some more pissed off seller feedback,

I sent this item in because I was convinced it was going to be a consignment item and although I probably could have gotten $75 for it on eBay or The Real Real (who, by the way actually pays their sellers honestly) I thought the convenience of having you take care of it, well I would pay for it... Thinking that my payout would be at least like $30.00.

*Yet* after waiting more than a MONTH for your you to process my bag you put original list price at $75 and sold it for less than 40????
That's *insane* I mean - resale on this item is $50 - $225.00

and NEW the bag was $248.00
You basically valued it at almost 1/4th of what it's worth??? Who does your pricing?

I mean I know bag price varies but this was a nearly new bag that retailed ~200.00 and payout was $8.00?
I literally feel like I'm setting my money on fire every time I send a bag to you. This is like my third complaint, you either lose my stuff, misrepresent the condition of things I send in or undervalue items.
I don't know why I still send stuff to you., I must really hate myself.

98 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question