US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

laurab193
8/30/16

In the last 2 bags I sent, they accepted 21 items for a total payout of $20!! Yes, you read that right...less than a dollar for each item! One of the items was a pair of Express shorts (NEW WITH TAGS) that retailed for $40. They gave me 60 cents for them!!! THEN, when I went to cash out my $20, it only showed a credit of $13.21. In what world does that make sense? I'm so confused and can't find ANY information accurately explaining why the payout is different from the credit listed. Furthermore, it seems as if they change their shipping policy like the wind blows. First it was free to send in a bag, then it was $5.99, now it's $10.99??? AND, on the page where they break down what they kept, they don't itemize what they paid for what item, nor do they explain how they got to the number they got to. They don't list what they charged for shipping ANYWHERE, yet my totals don't add up. NOTHING on their site explains this in detail and there is no customer service email listed. This is the worst company ever. COMPLETE SCAMMERS!! They are making BANK off of us and there is nothing we can do. DO NOT send your clothes here. Use a local consignment store or ebay...heck, even a yard sale would bring in more money!! I am SO angry!!!

ashleya73
8/29/16

I bought 3 things for $27 and free shipping all new with tags. The pictures were perfect, condition, etc. I get the confirmation after payment that has a price of $4.80 for each item and "final sale" written next to that meaning I can't return them and then $6 for shipping. Two of the items were perfect, and one had picks and peels over the collar, down the zipper sides, puckering, and then bare spots at the bottom. It looked like it had been worn for months. I tried posting the pictures and the problem, and they tell me to send the email address the information. That's it. I would either get my money back in the form of a store credit, or have to pay $8.90 for a processing fee for it to go back on my card. Pathetic. I highly recommend you buy from Swap.com instead, and sell on ebay or a similar site.

ekaterinec
8/29/16

order 2 scarfs, both "100% Cashmere." one is ok. but if another is "Cashmere", -then i am queen of England.so sad.

rt63
8/29/16

We have brought very well-maintained, name brand clothing to re-sales shops near us where payout has been pretty good. In comparison, ThredUP paid out less than $5 for items where local shops paid a little over $30. Not worth the packing, mailing. ThredUP does donate items they don't accept but better to support a local such as the Salvation Army.

joycec35
8/29/16

I have found some great buys on this site ! These are second hand clothes so read the description carefully. I have never bought anything that I didn't like. Everything fit and was in the condition as explained. You can really get some Great buys if you shop !!!

janetj29
8/29/16

Bought several hundreds of dollars of clothes here a year and a half or so ago. Probably in four or five separate orders. I wanted to like this store so badly! A great online consignment store! A dream come true.

Unfortunately, you know how friends always remind you of why you and your ex broke up when he's texting you and calling you late and telling you how he's watching tv and looking at the models and, maybe it's just him, but you are more beautiful than almost all of them ... and, God, he really wants to give it another try -- whatever you want, he'll do. He'll change his hair, his clothes, his house, his car, his entire personality if you just give him one more chance -- one more teeny weeny little chance. And then, if you've got good friends they start reminding you of all the things you fought about. And, if it were just one or two issues, well, maybe you'd try it again, but you start thinking about how impossible it was to agree about ANYTHING, and so you sadly turn him down.

Well, these clothes are here because there is a reason that someone else had to break up with them :) They look so good online, and they even look good in the box, and at least half the time, they look good the first time you put them on. But ... you can tell yourself that the former owner just grew out of them although you'll have a hard time believing it after a while. LOL. Some of the clothing even appeared to be taken back a couple times before they were well and truly through. And those clothes shouldn't be at an upscale consignment store, they should be at6 Good will. I'm talking about a pilled sweater that hangs oddly because someone has pulled at it so long. Even with a brand name, you should never get pilled sweaters with uneven droopy hems for $40. I wear it to clean house in when it's cold. Many of the clothes are like that. They've been loved, or someone tried so hard to love them, but ... they hung oddly off the body or the fit was weird. I mean I purchased a dress for a funeral and it was perfect. It looked like it hadn't been worn at all it was in such good shape. And ... I suspect that it really had never been worn. because it fit in the hips, in the waist, and then I was completely unable to to zip if over my chest. Now, believe me when I tell you that if the dress fits my hips and waist, it should darn well fit over my chest. I suspect the former owner felt the same way. Just thought it cool to have a dress that was actually too small in the bust and hung onto it until it was too late to return it.

I didn't do that. It's just a waste of money to pay to return it if you've decided you're not shopping there anymore, because they only let you have store credit back. Yep. And I could go on. Like about the yellow summer dress they sent to me with a broken zipper, It was from Banana Republic or The Limited or something and by the time I got the zipper replaced I could have bought a new dress. Or the gorgeous red Guess sweater dress I got that cost $20 more than the gorgeous black Guess sweater dress I bought new at Macy's. Or the silk overalls I LOVED that, for the life of me, just would never hang right. Or the black spaghetti strapped evening gown that was designed beautifully, fit beautifully, but is made of some kind of nylon parachute-like material. Not silk-parachute material mind you, a stiff, nylon type material that pretty much stands up on its own. NOT a good look for an evening gown. I'll never wear it.

Oh yeah, and the size medium gray Banana Republic sweater that was a little pricey for second hand Banana Republic (that's another thing -- the relatively high pricing of not-designer names. You could throw another $10 in and buy a lot of the stuff new. And that is my suggestion, Because my pricey, dry clean only sweater had clearly gone through the dryer at some point and the only medium it would fit is a medium sized 8-10 year old girl, So, great idea. And I did get one dress I absolutely love. It cost three figures, but it is lovely. And I have a lovely pair of reasonably priced clothes.Those are the only items out of about 5 orders, approximately $750-$800 and 15-20 pieces I received that I would actually buy again.

I would simply suggest that if this store is not to be crushed by a consignment store that takes its customers and merchandise a bit more seriously, it do a few things differently, First off, get the heck out of San Francisco! I grew up people watching in San Francisco cause everyone dressed so beautifully, even just going to work. Not anymore, Yuck. San Francisco is NOT a style mecca any longer. I realize you get a lot of your goods from people around the country and not just from The City, still you buy a lot of your own merchandize, and, like everything else you're paying $25 more than you would for the same, the exact same brand name and style in Sacramento. Plus,the overhead must be killing you! Maybe you think that San Francisco's name still holds some cachet, and maybe it does elsewhere, but not anywhere in California I've been. And I've been everywhere in California. Even Yuba & Crescent City girls are wearing H&M they bought online -- for less than you charge for H&M products -- at least those I saw. So, move to Oakland and cut your overhead by 50 percent. That will allow you to charge what used clothes should be charged, and, for god's sake! Check the clothes! Paying to get a dress with the zipper broken should never happen in an elegant consignment store, And finally, it'd be helpful if staff could try the clothes on to make sure they are not cut oddly or hang weirdly. Those are my sincere suggestions. Cause I've started shopping Revolve, which is pricey --although NOT that much more pricey than you are, considering they sell new clothes, and I am thrilled with everything I've gotten there.

I'd offer however much you had to in order to hire away their marketing director because he/she is the BOMB. And I'd like to get some stylish used clothes for a decent price at some point since you all are wiping thrift stores out of all their good stuff! So good luck with all that, Seriously, there is a need for your services out there -- girls starting their careers, going to grad school and working, single moms looking for a state job -- if you could follow through on your original vision? I'd be back in a flash (although now that I'm addicted to Revolve, my wallet would take a double hit!)

debbiev11
8/26/16

I love using Thred up..Its so easy to get a bag from them, for free and put all the clothes you no longer want in it and send it to them for cash or store credit...Then you get to buy clothes you really want while others buy yours. Its the easiest way to resell your outfits.

barbaras156
8/26/16

When cleaning out my closet, I decided to consign older clothing locally, and intentionally sent ONLY items that were "new with tags" to Thred-up because I thought their condition would be obvious. Only one of 23 items was listed as "new with tags". I know that there can be a difference of opinion as to how worn an item is, or how valuable, but there should be no disagreement over what constitutes "new with tags." A few of them were even listed as "lightly worn." I still don't understand what Thred-up gets out of misrepresenting my items as not brand new.

Of course, attempts to discuss this with Thred-up received no response. My payout: $32.75. for 23 items. Any review that claims to have made hundreds is not a real review.

I will never do business with Thred-up again, and will do my best to let anyone and everyone know that it is a complete scam.

jackief27
8/26/16

Just sent in a bag of clothes. Once they received it is got an email telling me it will be over a month before they will price them and give me my money. Never had a problem when I ordered from them.

beths80
8/25/16

I was emailed a discount code and I found a pair of jeans for my daughter in a size 000 so I decided to get them. Added them to my cart and went in to check out. I added the discount code and the prices reflected the discount code as well as shipping costs. I then entered my shipping information as well as credit card payment and hit the button to complete the order. My next screen gave me my order # and a completely different amount than what the order page said. It took off my 40% off discount after I clicked on the link to purchase after I entered my info. I am still getting them for less but I wasn't expecting to pay an additional $5.00 after I clicked the button!

laurenk34
8/25/16

I really wanted to love this company. Thrift shop prices and credit for old clothes? Win-win, right? Well, yes, if you're ThredUp. Not so much for customers. I bought a few items and was mostly happy with my purchase, and then decided that because I would most likely buy from them again, why not sell some of my currently unused clothes back to them? I filled that huge bag FULL. Full of very lightly and some even brand new clothes, shoes, even a pair of boots. Some were very good brands and literally have been worn once. Shockingly, they "accepted" three items out of the full bag: two "upfront" and one on consignment. The two upfront items total: $2.25. I will receive additional credit if/when my consignment piece sells (I will get 60% of its sale price). I sent them a bag of clothes worth probably $40 if I had sold it at a garage sale for $0.25/piece for most things! I think I will just donate my clothes from now on, or give them directly to someone who can use them. I may still buy used clothes from ThredUp, but they've eaten my closet and given me next to nothing. I expected a low payout- like $10- and am actually shocked.

Tip for consumers: Clothes-sender-back-er beware: The rules that they have to accept clothes are very strict (I probably sent back some clothes of brands that are "not allowed," meaning they have to donate them and cannot sell them on their site) so take that into consideration. For example, they will not pay you if you send them certain brands of kids clothes. Others, yes. So what you see them selling online is what you can sell to them. This may limit your payback amount (I was aware of this going in).

cayliee
8/24/16

I recently ordered a package that was suppose to be here on monday. my tracking number said that it was delivered to my house but it wasn't. when i went back to get my tracking number so fedex could help me, the number was gone. i still have no package and no one has responded from thredup to help me out.

jasmines31
8/24/16

I am furious!!!!! I spent over $260 worth of clothes for my birthday vacation and up coming job interviews. I chose thredUp because I needed to buy a lot of stuff since I grew out of all my clothes from last summer. The packages said delivered but I never received them. I contacted FedEx and USPS. They both put out a investigation and told me I need to contact the retailer because they may be able to give me a credit since I have shopped there a few times before. Well I tried to contact ThredUp by e-mail 5 times then left several voice mails to the number that takes you directly to a voice mail and NOBODY EVER PICKS UP!! This company has really great clothes and I hate they did this to me because I love shopping with them. But pray you never have a issue with your order because you will absolutely never get it resolved!!!

So Disapointed I really wanted those clothes I bought!! #MoneyDownTheDrain

same144
8/24/16

I'm not generally one to reminisce on "The good ol' days", but with ThredUp I find myself saying "Take me back"! ThredUp has a great concept, but they've become so focused on becoming relevant and growing that they forgot to update their processes too. For example, in the past, you could send in a polka dot bag and have it sorted and paid out in two weeks, even less. Now, it could take up to two months just to have your bag sorted through. ThredUp has upped their marketing game, but they haven't been intentionally keeping up with their new demand.

sarahm247
8/24/16

I sent in a large bag of clothes, with two pairs of brand-new Land's End pants still in the original packaging and various children's clothes that were all worn one or two times. The payout I received was $7.70. I was absolutely shocked. Myriad excuses were given by customer service, but ultimately I am the one who got screwed. Personally, I loved the comment about the cost of shipping stuff to them - I can, and have, sent things to Iceland and Australia cheaper than what they claim as the cost of shipping.

Before sending stuff in, I had purchased lots of clothes and had been very happy with most. Now that I know how the company actually operates, I have deleted the app. I don't want to be party to other people being cheated out of an adequate payout for what they have sent in to Thredup.

kimj71
8/24/16

Thredup's acceptance of clothes is erratic at best and do not expect them to take even new with tags items. Very hard to determine what they will take and customer expected to pay for items not taken if you want them back. Very disappointing "profit " for customer when you check to see what they are selling your items for! Also, last few weeks can not even get into my account for the money owed to me...have been back and forth with customer service and still awaiting outcome.

theresag28
8/23/16

I've sent 4 bags and the first 2 were accepted and the cash up front amount I received back was OK. However the third bag was a different story. First it took them almost a month and a half to process, then you have to wait 2 weeks to cash out, and a fee to "up-cycle" the non accepted items. I would be OK with this if they would at least tell you what was not accepted and why. (Because I think we all think our items are worth more than what they offer). Plus I think they don't offer as much back on each consecutive bag you send in.
Granted I was not using any of the items, but they priced a dress for $26 and I only was paid $10 for the entire bag (only 7 items were accepted, one on consignment and that bag was FULL). My items are good, and in great shape (EVERY item I've sent in has sold, one on the first day it was listed). And the descriptions of items are way off base. "Minor pilling"? Where? "Stains can be improved after washing?" Where? At this point I'd rather donate to Good Will. This whole process is a border line scam. I'm cashing out and not looking back.

briannal5
8/23/16

I gave 3 big bags of fresh cleaned or new clothes. The acceptance rate was 14%. Customer service took weeks to respond back. DO NOT SELL YOUR CLOTHES TO THEM.

Also, the clothes they do sell are always very faded and not as described. Horrible experience, please save yourself the trouble and expense and do not do business with them.

kathys126
8/23/16

I was planning on ordering a bag to send to you with some great clothing items, some new and never worn, but after reading the reviews I have changed my mind. Macy's should rethink their partnership with Thred Up.

fawnj
8/22/16

I sent a huge bag of clothing free of stains.. excellent condition.. all brands names... and I got... wait for it... 50cents!! I was dumbfounded! There were brand name jeans with tags on them! They claimed my items were not clean or stained.. absolutely not. I went over each item before I sent them.... i am so disgusted. Where do all of the unused items go? I'm sure this company is keeping then for themselves and selling them on ebay or somewhere else for profit! So disgusted!!!

claudiah13
8/22/16

I had an item I wanted to buy but had a question about 'disappear', never to be seen again, and of the items I sent them, one NWT item for WHBM (all my other items of this brand sold within days) was never listed, so I didn't get money for it, either. Sent them feedback which they asked for - is anyone reading this?
I waited weeks to give them time to respond before posting a negative review on the web, but here it is...would NOT do business with again.

cheram
8/22/16

I feel very strongly that ThredUp has committed fraud against me. It appears that MANY items I sent in are not accounted for. The compensation for the accepted items is so low it is beyond ridiculous

gwendolynn1
8/22/16

Not Happy with the Fourteen (14) days Return Policy.

caitlind13
8/21/16

I am so disappointed with my experience selling to thredup. I sent them a bag with over 20 items, including a brand new lularoe skirt, and received a whopping .90 for two items. That was after waiting two months for them to even go through my bag. Honestly the .90 seemed more like an insult at that point, thats literally nothing. I will mever sell to them again, as I am sure they sold other clothes in the bag, and conveniently there is no way to stop them from doing so. The buying experiemce was fine, but at this point I have no desire to support their company in any way. Sell your clothes somewhere else, or donate them, but don't give them to thredup. They will essentially steal from you and then turn it into a profit. HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

hollyd19
8/21/16

I sold to thredup fully expecting to have them reject most of my clothing. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the payout for the clothing accepted. >$1 per item. They are also scamming the future buyers. The item I expected to receive a low payout they are reselling for $18, saying it was originally $48. I paid $10 for it new. As buyer or seller, you're going to get ripped off.

79 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question