Review of RepairPal

San Francisco, CA 94103, United States
team@repairpal.com

darinb14
10/16/17

I've gotten several quotes from repairpal, and have yet to have one be very competitive. One of their referrals was to a company that wouldn't even give an estimate for super routine maintenance (brake pad replacement) without paying $79 to have the vehicle inspected. Warning sign #1 for a company that will over charge you. They know they aren't competetive, so they try to get you to spend money there before getting a quote. Don't waste your time.

Response from RepairPal J., RepairPal Representative
Hi Darin, we're sincerely sorry you had a bad experience with RepairPal and the Certified shop you chose to visit. We guarantee that our Certified shops have been checked out for fair pricing with customers and if the shop does not honor our quoted estimate range, we'll pay the difference. You can find more information on this promise on our FAQ page: https://repairpal.com/faq. By using RepairPal, your repair is also covered by the shop's warranty – but extended nationwide once registered. These are only a few benefits of working with RepairPal. If you'd like to send us an email with your information, the shop name, and where it's located, we would be happy to look into the issue you came across. You can email me directly at community@repairpal.com.

P.S. Since you specifically mentioned brake pads in your review and it's currently October, you should see if a shop near you is participating in Brakes for Breasts. A portion of the labor costs on your brake pad replacement could go toward a cure for breasts cancer. I'm not sure where you're located, but here's a map of some of the participating shops in the RepairPal network: https://repairpal.com/blog/brakes-for-breasts-october-2017 – safe travels, KB.
stevec232
9/6/17

Owner, Service Writer, Mechanic, Receptionist all friendly, informative, clean environment, knowledgeable, took time to explain and answer questions. I will be going back.

annr64
6/29/17

I typed in several examples of repairs and the estimates seem to be either too high or too low. This site might help shops get more exposure but I don't think it is reassuring for consumers. There is no guarantee any of the shops listed are better or less expensive than the mechanic down the street. Remember, they pay to be listed here. I ended up getting 3 'real' estimates from mechanics in my area and they were less than what was quoted here.

Response from RepairPal J., RepairPal Representative
Hey Ann, thank you so much for the review and your concerns. Any shop that is listed with RepairPal has gone through a verification process to ensure a good customer experience, the use of quality parts and tools, a high level of training (and the continued investment in education) for their technicians, and a warranty that backs up their work. When you use RepairPal and list your repair with us, we also back that warranty nationwide at any Certified shop. There are incredible auto shops throughout the country that go above and beyond to help their customers, but many people continue to have a bad experience when it comes to car repair. We hope to give a little peace-of-mind, help people find a shop that will honor a set price, and no matter what, we're glad that you were able to find a great shop to get your car repaired at! We hope this helped shed a bit more light on the program and that we can help you in the future. Thanks again Ann, and safe travels! -KB
jameso87
12/6/16

Repairpal is a site that charges shops and recommends only shops that pay them. That doesnt mean you are getting a good shop, do your research, ask around, talk to local friends and family. Most shops will give you free info about them, their services, background, shop tours etc.

dons93
9/1/16

I did not expect to find an "All in One" Auto Repair Shop, but I did. Using one of your RepairPal Certified Auto Shops - Andy and Terry Automotive Specialists Inc. We called the shop when it opened on 08/24/16, The shop stayed within the price range on your site, got our Expedition back the same day. It confirmed what you said in your ad. You made us believers that Great Service is still out there!

shandak
8/27/16

The estimator was off by almost $400. They worked with us and paid the difference of the repair. Customer service is great. The network of shops is beyond compare. Repair Pal made it easy to find and support small business repair shops.

brents25
7/29/16

I'm sorry, but there's waaaay too much deception and price-gouging in auto repair. Everyone I talk to wouldn't trust their mechanic to watch their dog. And that really sucks because there are a lot of great, trustworthy mechanics and shops out there (I know at least one!). RepairPal is helping weed out the stinkers in the bunch and raise the bar for everyone else. And the best part is they'll even have one of their Master Mechanics talk to the repair shop FOR you to make sure the repair being recommended is ACTUALLY what you need. I'm not a mechanic, I have no interest in being a mechanic - I just need my car to work right, and I don't have the skills to know when a mechanic is completely misleading me. I'm grateful RepairPal is there to make sure that doesn't happen.

kristih12
6/29/16

Seth and his whole crew are great workers honest people that will fix ur car right and great pricing as well love them wont go anywhere else!

billg49
2/16/16

They said to replace a Fuel pump on a 2001 ford Escape is $386- $475. The pump is located under the back seat and take 3 minutes to access. It took me 15 minutes to remove and replace with new pump ($125.00). I'm a Chef, not a mechanic but I checked UTube and saw it was easy.

denyseo
12/2/15

Dellinger's Tire & Auto became part of the Repair Pal network last spring. We have been very impressed with the great customer service, attention to detail and communication we have received from this company. In the short time we have been certified by Repair Pal, we have seen growth in our business. As the Marketing Director, I value the ability to listen to the calls that come in to our store from Repair Pal and also find the detailed monthly reports of our progress very helpful. Keep up the great work! Denyse O'Connor

billh100
11/25/15

I own a RepairPal top shop and am glad that I have their service. RepairPal is only one of our ways of reaching out to new customers but I would have to say one of the best. It is a user friendly system for both the shop and the customer. Every business advertises some how and a good business owner will stick with the ones that produce the best results, that's why I have stayed with them for years. I agree that a customer should find a shop they trust and stay with them. I think their estimator is pretty accurate but every job is different and condition of the vehicle being repaired is always a factor. Until the vehicle is inspected and diagnosed a reasonable estimate is no more than a guess. I think that you should affiliate your business with as many reputable recommendations as you can get if you want to stand out in a business that in most places has no standard to its industry. I thank RepairPal for all they do for my business.

ricks69
11/16/15

As the owner of a repair shop specializing in European cars and current RepairPal Certified Shop, I found their vetting process quite stringent. Our background and experience was checked and verified. We were required to provide a list of Tools and Diagnostic Equipment that met both their criteria and current Industry standards. Our customers were interviewed to confirm their online reviews of our shop. The RepairPal Online Estimating Tool is accurate but not omniscient. If we or a customer feel it does not reflect a certain repair, they are willing to discuss the matter. For consumers, they are a valuable but not perfect tool. For Shop Owners, they play fair.

nancys112
11/12/15

In 47 years I have heard everything from A to Z. How long a repair should take to it is only a 5 minute fix. Repair Pal is an independent service that lets customers know approximately what a repair entails. It doesn't take into consideration that it is totally rusted, bolts break or what it came in for isn't the right thing. It is the job of the Service Writer to explain why it costs more than what somebody else has said over the phone or ??

RepairPal has been more than fair with the estimates and the tows that are brought to us. It is only a tool, not your whole business.

When a new customer comes and asks me why they should do business with me. I can truthfully tell them to find a shop they trust and then stick with them. If they are unhappy, please tell the owner or manager. We can't fix something that we don't know about.

We have been truly happy with RepairPal. They aren't a complete fix to your business, but it sure helps when they send us a customer. We hope we take care of all their needs.

michaell163
11/12/15

I own a shop and I have been a repairpal member for 5 years. They will not take "any shop" they actually call your customers to verify you're not screwing people over, and that you provide good customer service. Their repair estimator tool is the same tool NAPA uses for their website, and it gives customers a point of reference to ensure fair pricing. Auto repair is complicated, getting an accurate estimate can't be done by calling around, or by clicking a few buttons, that is why the range on the estimator can be large. Using quality parts and having certified technicians is a requirement for Repairpal shops, and if your shop gets complaints, they'll bump you down the list. There was one customer complaining that it was just "paid recommendations" and that the shops were "higher than the dealer" but that is not the case. There are actually certain, very rare, jobs that the dealer will be the cheapest. For the vast majority (99%) of repairs, our independent shop is 10-40% cheaper AND offers a longer warranty! RepairPal is no different than Angie's List, Yelp, or any other review site. ALL of them have "premier" listings that the businesses pay to be in. The difference is A: the consumer doesn't have to pay RepairPal, and B: RepairPal actually checks on the shops themselves, instead of just relying on reviews (some of which are inaccurate or put on by competitors).

dianel38
11/6/15

Awesome company, dedicated to educating consumers about repairs & the cost, then putting them in the good hands of shops that have been fully certified to do the repairs. This company rocks!! Try them and the shops they have certified to give you the best value in automotive service!!

howardc22
11/6/15

I've been using RepairPal since its inception and they are truly an asset to our industry. Their shop certification process is thorough and they care about the well being and forward progress of the auto repair industry. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt as their shop review process is sure to make some people unhappy.

larryw44
11/6/15

What I like about Repair Pal is they won't take just any repair shop that wants to sign up. You must have proof of training and proper equipment to repair cars. They also require the facility to give all of the last 3 months transactions so they can randomly contact your customers to get an HONEST report of how you do business. That way the repair shop can't just hand th a list of their "happy" customers. This is the real deal!!!

jackm96
12/17/14

for all those high priced shops trying to discredit repair pal all I have to say is how do you sleep at night? is your making all that money at the consumers expense really more important than honesty and integrity? you should be ashamed of yourself and if not I will make it a point to let others know that you and your family can rest assured that you are making a world without values and morals. Hope you enjoy what you create. I wish a big red light would appear over your heads to identify you because like other bottom feeders you always seem to lurk in the shadows. Repair Pal is the real deal and it needs to grow so these bottom feeders can go back to their pits and stop trying to screw up this country more.

jc116
11/20/14

As an Auto Repair Shop, I feel the need to give consumers some information they may not know. My shop has been in business since 1995 and we ALWAYS make sure to EDUCATE our customers regarding the particular repair they need. We have been contacted by RP to "join" their "service" as well as Google (which will put you at the top rating for a meager $400-$500 per month). So Consumers should know going into their research that just because RP or Google or any other website recommends a shop does not mean that will be the shop to give you the biggest/honest bang for your buck because they PAY for these companies' "services" to be a "recommended shop" or a shop "at the top of the list". Do not know whether RP is good or bad hence the 1 star...this post is for CONSUMER EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. ALWAYS shop around first......it pays to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion prior to parting with your hard earned money.

lauriew10
11/11/14

Estimates are high and the range is large. Its like if I asked how much a toaster should cost and someone said between $100 and $200 when you could get one at Walmart for $25. I saw the estimates and first thought was this site is sponsored by the car repair places that want to rip you off.

faithc6
4/4/14

BEWARE! EXTREMELY HIGH ESTIMATES! The low estimate from repaipal was more than Double the actual cost! This site surely is used to jack up parts & labor for repair shops that subscribe to this customer referral service. The actual cost of. Our repairs were $849. The repairpal estimate range was between $1754 to $2563!

jacobb31
2/18/14

the cost estimator seems too expensive. The estimates seemed really high when checking against things that I had repaired on my vehicle. So just to be sure I checked the estimate against something I was familiar with, spark plugs. You can purchase extremely nice spark plugs for $8 to $10 a piece and replacing them is super quick, and a much faster job for an experienced mechanic. the price quoted by repair pal for the 8 spark plugs was $96-$144, I don't know what kind of spark plugs they are using but auto shops usually replace with aftermarket parts and I highly doubt they get the spark plugs for more than $7 to $10 a pop. That is $56 to $80. Then cost for labor is stated at $182 - $233 an experienced mechanic will replace 4 spark plugs in 15 minutes so lets say 30 minutes for the job, that means the mechanic is making $364 to $566 per hour! according to national average labor rate for auto mechanics the hourly rate for an automechanic is $75 to $100 an hour. this puts labor at $50 for the spark plug replacement. In reality this job at a mechanic shop should be no more than $130 that is less than half of the minimum price quoted by repairpal!!! If I am wrong about this then I would appreciate someone justifying $278 to $377 for spark plug replacement!!! Don't trust this sites estimater, this site has a lot of potential to do good and help keep mechanic shops honest, but not when their estimator is less honest than the mechanics!!! AutoMD.com is a much better option then this site. For the same repair it quoted me $235 to have 8 spark plugs replaced at a dealership, and $152 to have them replaced in a shop, this is much more accurate

chriso1
3,122 helpful votes
6/4/10

This is a pretty cool idea and I would love to give it more stars, but I have to go with my personal estimate and not a random or easy one. In my case I queried the cost of an alternator replacement on an old GMC van, and the site came up with a price of between $263 and $393. And it quoted the cost of the part as $159 - $261. And perhaps that's correct, well let's be fair and say that's probably correct, if I take the vehicle to a repair shop. That in itself is a challenge since the site helpfully offered me 64 pages of possible shops to go to but at least I'm not short on choices.

However, a trip to the local parts store told me that the part costs only $44 from stock, as it's a very common one used in several different vehicles. I could take that to my local shop and they would fit it in an hour for another $80.

I think this is a neat idea and should definitely be one of your sources of information. But I wouldn't rely on it, solely, especially if the repair is a simple one and potentially D.I.Y, or which you can see is an easy one for the repair shop to get at.

I'd like to see a difficulty rating for repairs, indicating whether the average motorist could tackle the work. Obviously such a rating couldn't be any more accurate than any of the other ratings, but it might encourage more people to learn how to do things for themselves. And ultimately, it would be great to select the symptoms and have the site take an educated guess at the problem, too. It's got a lot of potential for development. At the moment I am a bit concerned that repair shops are going to be using this as a guide, so that if it shows my repair will cost $250 and they normally charge $150, they might be tempted to go with the higher figure. Not that there are many shops out there which would dream of doing such a thing, of course.

justinf1
6/3/10

Very cool site! I thought it was going to ask for my email or something to have an insurance agency or whatnot to contact me about it, but it gave it out pretty instaniously! Very useful. It's a keeper!

lilrebelc
6/3/10

I just saw this story on the news about this website. You can go to it prior to taking your vehicle in for repairs or maintenance and type in everything about your car and it's issues and it will give a an estimate that you SHOULD get. (Channel 13 Eyewitness new ran the story and they'll probably have something about it on their website.)

In other words, you will have a little insight or ballpark figure for what your repairs or maintenance should cost and then you can weigh that against the actual estimate to see if your auto repair is trying to stick it to you or not.

They also list repair shops in good standing, sort of a BBB thing. So, before you give into the grease monkey's, check this site out and get an idea of what you should and shouldn't be charged. Forewarned is forearmed!

Hey Dor C., if you ever have an issue with a RepairPal certified shop NOT honoring our Fair Price Estimate, we want to hear about it immediately and remedy the situation for you. For more information on our Fair Price Guarantee and to file a complaint, check out our FAQ section here: https://repairpal.com/faq thank you so much for bringing this to our attention and we hope this helps solve the problem.

By RepairPal J. [RepairPal Rep]

Thanks for the question, Kelly! Absolutely. The recall information on RepairPal comes straight from the source the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We break the recall down for car owners and also offer the ability to sign up for alerts with your email that way you always know if there's a recall out on your car.

By RepairPal J. [RepairPal Rep]

Hey, Ed! If you're interested in an account on RepairPal as a user, this costs absolutely nothing. Our estimator, shop look up, and educational resources, like Q&A and Problems, are completely free for use. If you have any additional questions, let us know.

By RepairPal J. [RepairPal Rep]

Hey Ferman, thanks for the question! This can depend on where you live, but it should fall between the range of $382 to $752 big range, but factors like your zip code will help narrow that down a bit. Here's a link to our estimate page where you can refine the results: https://repairpal.com/estimator/volkswagen/passat/starter-replacement-cost Good luck and safe travels! -KB

By RepairPal J. [RepairPal Rep]

Hey Hubert, thanks for the question. This can depend on where you live, but it should fall between $795 and $1448 big range here, but this can be refined by your vehicles information and your zip code. Here's a link to the page: https://repairpal.com/estimator/acura/cl/steering-rack-replacement-cost Good luck and safe travels! -KB

By RepairPal J. [RepairPal Rep]

Hey Wiz D., thanks for the question. To help support all devices, we've shifted the focus from our app to the mobile experience on our website. You can use RepairPal.com from your cell phone web browser and even add a shortcut to your home screen by navigating to the bottom menu bar (Apple) or to the top menu bar (Android) thanks and hope this helps! -KB

how many cylinders are in toyota camry 2002

By Ganiyat T.
Questions? Get answers from the RepairPal staff and other customers.

RepairPal?