Review of RepairPal

San Francisco, CA 94103, United States
community@repairpal.com

cynthiaa139
6/14/19

They wanted to say on here that a part cost 1,400$ well I call you guess bull$#!+ because I found the part for less then 180$ so take your work and put it where the sun don't shine have a good day and people please check all resources before you jump and start paying greedy people like this company because they want us to break the bank when we are already having a tough time as it is

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Cynthia. Seems a bit odd that a part would cost that outrageously low after what we would have given you as a ballpark. Perhaps the estimator look up included other repairs. We always include labor costs along with a parts price, so that will also definitely increase any estimate. And if we are wrong, I can definitely look into adjusting that. Would you mind sharing what you needed to get repaired? That way no one has the same experience you did if indeed we are wrong. Please email: community@repairpal.com
billc394
6/1/19

If you want to throw your money away, get a referral for a car repair from Repair Pal. HVAC blower motor replacement. Blower motor by Motorcraft $78.79, shop charged $99.71. Resistor by Motorcraft $19.13, shop charged $37.90. HVAC resistor connection kit (rarely necessary in a replacement situation) by Motorcraft $82.03, shop charged $75.38. Then a charge of $21.30 for "Job Supplies". That is a awful lot of Go Jo. Now the real kick in the a _ _, Nothing said about a surcharge if credit card is used to pay the invoice. This brought me an additional 3% surcharge. When looking at reviews submitted by the shop owners, complaining about the $199/month extortion (membership) charge from Repair Pal, that is surely covered with such billing theft.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Bill, glad that at least you were satisfied with the service provided. Value not so much. After running an estimate for the repair needed, the total amount seems to be a reasonably just charge from a independent auto repair shop (always varies by zip code). The 3% is usually something shops disclose in fine print in their invoices and not sure if this was the case, but if not, please feel free to let us know so we can discuss that with the RepairPal Certified shop you took your vehicle to and name which shop that was. Contact us directly at: community@repairpal.com please.
Thank you for your review.
robertg824
5/21/19

Frustrated with this service, they grossly misrepresent to the public that shops that do not pay them are "uncertified", totally ignoring the fact that we are Licensed, Insured and ASE certified.

They also removed several reviews of our service because we stopped paying $200 a month to be "certified". This practice is misleading and manipulative... akin to extortion ...

There is no place to allow me to add my CERTIFICATIONS and License information to show potential customers that I AM CERTIFIED. and BBB rated A+ Mobile Mechanic www.wego2umobilemechanic.com

Robert Grove, ASE CERTIFIED WORLD CLASS TECHNICIAN

Tip for consumers: "Certified" shops pay for the title, "uncertified" shops are ones who do not pay repairpal to be listed as "Certified"

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Robert! We list most of non-certified shops in our Network's website as a free listing. This shows consumer options of where they can take their vehicle/s. Repairpal Certified Shops do have a fully optimized profile page that includes reviews, an assessment summary, images, organic customer calls, among other things to highlight them. Shops can apply to be in our Network for the fully optimized profile and other opportunities.
By your request, we have brought your shops free listing down. If you would like to make any changes, please contact us at: community@repairpal.com
joyceo33
4/22/19

I had to get my AC fixed for the third time on a car I bought from Carmax, and was referred to Andre at RepairPal. He was very helpful and knowledgeable, got me referred to a local repair place, so I didn't have to drive the car back to Carmax, 30+ miles away. I was amazed when I went to pick it up and was told it was paid in full by Andre and RepairPal. Andre's help and support had already sold me on him being one of the "good guys!" Way to go, Andre! Thanks so much! Joyce Ann Okonek

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
We're so happy you shared the pleasant experience Joyce. We are a Nationwide Network with thousands of auto repair shops you can rely on. Thank you for your review!
danr275
4/2/19

When you call up a shop and say I have an old major problem how much time does it cost to replace it knowing that there is 50 different plus old Nader cost for replacement so you jump on this website type in your vehicle and put in the optional request and you come up with a base price so you read the fine print a little bit under that stating that it's a base estimate on what you could be looking at OK So when you go to a shop and they say it's 500 and on repair pell it says 380 to 750 that is your mom pop shop or your dealer price but again in the print it says based estimates I use it to show my customers how much money I'm saving them a pump job pays 500 to 800 so i tell them 330 out the door.......you call around to find out where you would be at and then the shop charges you list price on the part which maybe 280 but it only cost them a 120 this program is not made for everybody not even shop owners cause they don't read the fine print that is right under estimates. There might be some typo on this message but just a quick guidance reference for people to see that they're not gonna get ripped off When going to get a part replaced in their car..shops use a program that they pay for and it is based on dealer book hours .

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Dan! This is correct. Shops can reference our estimator tool to provide a ballpark or range for an estimate (does not include diagnostic, taxes or additional fees). We are glad you are able to refer to this tool with your customers to let them know how much you can save them. It is a very useful tool for both shop staff and consumers.
Thanks for your review!
abeh23
1/11/19

I own an Auto shop and they charge each shop $199 to send send us customers . they do have tough requirements to get you the shop approved but as a shop owner I think all calls are fake so i canceled Repair Pal.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Abe, we do have a rigorous assessment process to get a shop Certified and yes, our monthly membership fee is $199 per month (no contract). The assessment goes over the shops customer satisfaction, tools and equipment, technician training and certifications and a lot more. If the shop does not meet the requirements, they do not get Certified. We do try to recommend items shops could improve in, to then pass the assessment process.
Calls are organically placed when the shop profile is found online by potential customers. Call average and leads vary depending on where the shop is in the state and country.
Sorry to hear that you cancelled. We usually like to work with our shops to improve overall value and volume. How can we change your perception of RepairPal? Feel free to reach out directly to community@repairpal.com to engage further about your situation.
Thank you!
leonardh40
9/5/18

When I got to shop the price amost double. It was simple repair. Valve cover gasket! Labor and parts both were higher.A126.00 quote turned into a 246.00

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Leonard, a vehicle always has to be diagnosed prior to any actual repairs, a charge that will always be added to the repair bill. Also, if your vehicle needs any additional repairs, it is the shops responsibility to recommend those to you, as they're looking out for the best interest of you and your vehicle.
We're hoping your car was running smooth and were happy with your repairs in the end.
robbied11
8/30/18

They do not stand behind the estimates at all. They underestimate the labor involved in completing the work. Then they come back and say are bad it was off and the shop charged what is industry standards. There customer service agents claim that they have gone through ASE training yet they can not explain how according to there system it takes 2 hours to put a gasket on an oil pan that is being replaced and that it requires 10 quarts of oil to complete the job. The vehicle only takes 5 quarts of oil. When the estimate is off they say oops we will update the website.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Robbie, our estimator tool is updated monthly now, whereas before it was every couple of months. The tool holds tens of thousands of estimates that are backed up by industry standards and labor guides based where you are in the nation.

Consumers ask us repeatedly to help them understand what is wrong with their car, even though we both know it's impossible without seeing the car first-hand, experiencing the problem and performing a proper diagnosis. So we take an approach somewhere in the middle. We try to always provide several possible solutions to avoid the perception of us performing a "diagnosis", we recommend a diagnosis as a next step, and point out the next steps a shop will take is to verify the issue and perform a diagnosis to determine the cause of the issue.

When estimates are off, we do correct them, yes! We take full responsibility for when that occurs, although it is very rare that the estimates are incorrect.
deborahm314
8/24/18

I was at Honest 1 auto care at South Charlotte,9200 Monroe Rd,Only thing I kind said about the facility that it was nice and comfortable, but my experience with my car there was terrible Service, Took them a whole day with my car and they kept lying to me about when it would be ready. I am praying that they did a good with my car, because if anything happen I am blowing them up on face and all social media.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Deborah, we'd like to know how your repair turned out, after the repairs were actually completed. There could be a lot of reasons as to why a vehicle repair wouldn't be ready as promised. But it is best to always be honest with the customer to make sure they are aware that the repairs aren't complete and that they can't drive off with the vehicle yet because it is unsafe. Perhaps you can update the review and let us know what the final experience was for you. We'd love to hear back from you.
Thank you!
bridgetc35
6/8/18

After being referred to repairpal.com by CarMax, I found Main Street Garage in Upland, CA. After two attempts at repairing my alternator (they said it was a bad part both times), the third time the owners of Main Street Garage told me to take my car and go elsewhere after they refused to make good on a warranted part unless I would sign papers exposing me to having to pay for another diagnostic for the same issue. Meanwhile after calling repairpal.com to complain about their vendor (Main Street Garage) all she (Terra) seemed to do was make excuses for their behavior. Don't try and save a few bucks by using this resource just ask friends and family for a referral!!!!

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Bridget, sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience. Faulty parts is an issue and by fault of the manufacturer, not the shop, most times. It seems like the shop tried to fix this issue "both times" and then suggested you to go to another repair shop to complete the repairs. Hoping your repair was ultimately repaired with good parts and that you found another trusted repair shop by word of mouth. If there is anything we can do to remedy your experience, please respond back to community@repairpal.com within reason to what we can do for you.
Thanks!
kh650
4/5/18

This site doesn't validate car repair shops in any logical way, other than customers that can afford to go to these locations. They are in California. How could they possibly check reviews of a shop in PA, other than the high-paying customers? Are these people even mechanics? Do they know anything about vehicles? There are other locations in my area that could be on this site, but just don't get involved in these politics. I emailed the site about their data collection methods and never got an answer.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hey K.H., we're so sorry about your experience and the difficulty finding information about our program. We want to assure you that every shop is fully certified by our Automotive team, which has ASE Certified mechanics up to the Master Technician level speaking with shops.

Our certification has multiple core components to make sure customers are taken care of. We verify the parts supplier of the shop to ensure only high-quality parts go into people's vehicles. We also check into the training of hired technicians and how long the shop has been in business. We have requirements for current training of technicians to ensure customers are dealing with shops that are using the latest technology, especially as cars are becoming more and more like computers everyday! Speaking of technology, we're also looking into how the shop operates day-to-day – computer systems, invoicing, etc. We also make sure shops offer a minimum one year warranty on all parts and labor. Standing behind your work is a must in order to be a part of the RepairPal Network. We also back up that warranty nationally, so if you find yourself stranded because something went wrong with the water pump you jump had fixed, we will ensure you get back in a shop and get it fixed under our warranty. And of course, the shop must ALWAYS honor our fair price, no matter who walks through the door.

The last aspect which you touch upon is our customer survey of the shop to ensure the majority of interactions with the shop are positive. Because most review sites don't have implementations in place for review padding or sniffing out fake reviews from people, we only speak to customers who have actually visited the shop recently through invoicing. This ensures that each and every review is truthful and the shop has no way of mingling with the process. Thankfully, in order to do this, we don't actually have to be on site interviewing folks! We do all of this online or over the phone, so we're able to certify shops inside and outside of California. If all of these aspects check out, the shop has the opportunity to officially enter the program with RepairPal. We know that's a lot of information, but anyone who is in the network has been through this whole process.

I hope that sheds some light on the process for you. I also want to apologize that your email to us slipped through the cracks! RepairPal is in no way automated, so we're real people on the other end of the line who always want to help. Occasionally, we get bombarded with marketing emails asking for data, so there's a good chance yours might have been marked with that. We're always happy to answer any questions either through email, but also through social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn). You can email me personally at community@repairpal.com.

Thank you again and we hope you'll use RepairPal, whether it's for figuring out an issue, getting an estimate on work, or finding a shop close by. -KB
rond225
3/25/18

I put in a search for a Porsche mechanic on Cape Cod. We are villages, and don't really have a Porsche dealer, just an Audi/Porsche, who are criminal in their jacking up the price of parts; a vacuum tube for the leak I had - their price, $1700, actual price, $176.00. RepairPal found the most honest and reliable mechanic I've ever had! He not only replaced the rear tubes, but replaced the top system between the turbos as well. Total cost including parts, $2,200. Ed Hannigan, owner of Patriot Automotive in Harwich, MA, has also become a personal friend.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Ron, glad we're glad you found Patriot Automotive in Harwich, MA. We know it's hard to find a shop alternative to service a Porsche. Our independent repair shops will always charge you fairly on parts and labor. And in your case, not only did you find a great shop to take your Porsche to, you also gained a friend. Thanks for sharing your story.
summerp10
3/18/18

The below is my yelp review about their certified auto shop - "Alpha and Omega Automotive Repair"(A&O) that fixed my car, I posted my review on 3/14/2018 and updated on 3/18):
I'm so glad I found this trustworthy auto repair shop. Thanks for the yelp reviewers to share their pleasing experience! Also this shop(A&O) is certified by repairpal.com. Actually that's how I found it. Then checked with yelp to see what their customers said about this business. Amazingly, no bad words at all. Nowadays it's extremely hard to gain the full trust from every customer, but they made it, so far. Because of their outstanding credit, I believed them completely. Yesterday I left my Honda Accord in the shop. This afternoon I went to pick my car. Everything was perfect. The oil pan was replaced and the fault A/C worked again. I did a quote at Sears before. Although sears' price for the oil pan replacement of my 2007 Honda Accord was cheaper. I still chose this auto shop because of all the 5-star reviews. I think it's worth paying more to a credible business. Unfortunately lots of business owners don't realize - a good reputation is priceless. Once it's destroyed, it's so hard to do business.
By the way, I made my appointment with A&O via repairpal.com. This website states: they'll give you a guaranteed fair price range for your auto repairs if you go to their certified shops. So I gave them a call to find out why the certified shop charged more than their guaranteed price range. The answer from repair.com: "Yes, our online estimate price range is guaranteed. We will send you a refund of the difference." Wow! A big big surprise! They keep their words precisely. I'm going to use this website to book all my future auto repair appointments. So I don't need to worry about I might get overpriced. Remember, before you go to an auto shop, make sure to ask questions on repairpal.com to find out what your car's problems are and how much it would cost to fix them(repairpal's estimate). Then book your appointments with their certified shops. If anything wrong, call them. Repairpal will solve the issues for you. That's my experience.
In order to get people's attention to read my review, I purposely gave a 4-star to A&O instead of a 5-star because everyone rated as a 5-star except one 4-star. Actually, both repairpal.com and their certified shop A&O got a super 5-star in my heart.
Updated on 3/18/2018: Yesterday I got a small package from repairpal.com. They sent me a blue T-shirt and a handwriting thank-you note plus some small gifts(see the attached photos). I was moved very deeply. What a great company - they care about their customers so much!

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Summer! Glad you were able to track this shop down through our site and had a wonderful experience. Our Network of Certified RepairPal shops abide by our estimator tool which grants a fair price to each repair made by them. And yes, we care about the automotive industry, our shops and their customers, very much so!
darinb14
10/16/17

I've gotten several quotes from repairpal, and have yet to have one be very competitive. One of their referrals was to a company that wouldn't even give an estimate for super routine maintenance (brake pad replacement) without paying $79 to have the vehicle inspected. Warning sign #1 for a company that will over charge you. They know they aren't competetive, so they try to get you to spend money there before getting a quote. Don't waste your time.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Darin, we're sincerely sorry you had a bad experience with RepairPal and the Certified shop you chose to visit. We guarantee that our Certified shops have been checked out for fair pricing with customers and if the shop does not honor our quoted estimate range, we'll pay the difference. You can find more information on this promise on our FAQ page: https://repairpal.com/faq. By using RepairPal, your repair is also covered by the shop's warranty – but extended nationwide once registered. These are only a few benefits of working with RepairPal. If you'd like to send us an email with your information, the shop name, and where it's located, we would be happy to look into the issue you came across. You can email me directly at community@repairpal.com.

P.S. Since you specifically mentioned brake pads in your review and it's currently October, you should see if a shop near you is participating in Brakes for Breasts. A portion of the labor costs on your brake pad replacement could go toward a cure for breasts cancer. I'm not sure where you're located, but here's a map of some of the participating shops in the RepairPal network: https://repairpal.com/blog/brakes-for-breasts-october-2017 – safe travels, KB.
stevec232
9/6/17

Owner, Service Writer, Mechanic, Receptionist all friendly, informative, clean environment, knowledgeable, took time to explain and answer questions. I will be going back.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hi Steve, glad you found a great Certified shop as part of our Network.
Thanks for your review!
annr64
ann r.
6/29/17

I typed in several examples of repairs and the estimates seem to be either too high or too low. This site might help shops get more exposure but I don't think it is reassuring for consumers. There is no guarantee any of the shops listed are better or less expensive than the mechanic down the street. Remember, they pay to be listed here. I ended up getting 3 'real' estimates from mechanics in my area and they were less than what was quoted here.

Response from RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Hey Ann, thank you so much for the review and your concerns. Any shop that is listed with RepairPal has gone through a verification process to ensure a good customer experience, the use of quality parts and tools, a high level of training (and the continued investment in education) for their technicians, and a warranty that backs up their work. When you use RepairPal and list your repair with us, we also back that warranty nationwide at any Certified shop. There are incredible auto shops throughout the country that go above and beyond to help their customers, but many people continue to have a bad experience when it comes to car repair. We hope to give a little peace-of-mind, help people find a shop that will honor a set price, and no matter what, we're glad that you were able to find a great shop to get your car repaired at! We hope this helped shed a bit more light on the program and that we can help you in the future. Thanks again Ann, and safe travels! -KB
jameso87
12/6/16

Repairpal is a site that charges shops and recommends only shops that pay them. That doesnt mean you are getting a good shop, do your research, ask around, talk to local friends and family. Most shops will give you free info about them, their services, background, shop tours etc.

dons93
9/1/16

I did not expect to find an "All in One" Auto Repair Shop, but I did. Using one of your RepairPal Certified Auto Shops - Andy and Terry Automotive Specialists Inc. We called the shop when it opened on 08/24/16, The shop stayed within the price range on your site, got our Expedition back the same day. It confirmed what you said in your ad. You made us believers that Great Service is still out there!

shandak
8/27/16

The estimator was off by almost $400. They worked with us and paid the difference of the repair. Customer service is great. The network of shops is beyond compare. Repair Pal made it easy to find and support small business repair shops.

brents25
7/29/16

I'm sorry, but there's waaaay too much deception and price-gouging in auto repair. Everyone I talk to wouldn't trust their mechanic to watch their dog. And that really sucks because there are a lot of great, trustworthy mechanics and shops out there (I know at least one!). RepairPal is helping weed out the stinkers in the bunch and raise the bar for everyone else. And the best part is they'll even have one of their Master Mechanics talk to the repair shop FOR you to make sure the repair being recommended is ACTUALLY what you need. I'm not a mechanic, I have no interest in being a mechanic - I just need my car to work right, and I don't have the skills to know when a mechanic is completely misleading me. I'm grateful RepairPal is there to make sure that doesn't happen.

kristih12
6/29/16

Seth and his whole crew are great workers honest people that will fix ur car right and great pricing as well love them wont go anywhere else!

billg49
2/16/16

They said to replace a Fuel pump on a 2001 ford Escape is $386- $475. The pump is located under the back seat and take 3 minutes to access. It took me 15 minutes to remove and replace with new pump ($125.00). I'm a Chef, not a mechanic but I checked UTube and saw it was easy.

denyseo
12/2/15

Dellinger's Tire & Auto became part of the Repair Pal network last spring. We have been very impressed with the great customer service, attention to detail and communication we have received from this company. In the short time we have been certified by Repair Pal, we have seen growth in our business. As the Marketing Director, I value the ability to listen to the calls that come in to our store from Repair Pal and also find the detailed monthly reports of our progress very helpful. Keep up the great work! Denyse O'Connor

billh100
11/25/15

I own a RepairPal top shop and am glad that I have their service. RepairPal is only one of our ways of reaching out to new customers but I would have to say one of the best. It is a user friendly system for both the shop and the customer. Every business advertises some how and a good business owner will stick with the ones that produce the best results, that's why I have stayed with them for years. I agree that a customer should find a shop they trust and stay with them. I think their estimator is pretty accurate but every job is different and condition of the vehicle being repaired is always a factor. Until the vehicle is inspected and diagnosed a reasonable estimate is no more than a guess. I think that you should affiliate your business with as many reputable recommendations as you can get if you want to stand out in a business that in most places has no standard to its industry. I thank RepairPal for all they do for my business.

ricks69
11/16/15

As the owner of a repair shop specializing in European cars and current RepairPal Certified Shop, I found their vetting process quite stringent. Our background and experience was checked and verified. We were required to provide a list of Tools and Diagnostic Equipment that met both their criteria and current Industry standards. Our customers were interviewed to confirm their online reviews of our shop. The RepairPal Online Estimating Tool is accurate but not omniscient. If we or a customer feel it does not reflect a certain repair, they are willing to discuss the matter. For consumers, they are a valuable but not perfect tool. For Shop Owners, they play fair.

Hey Dor C., if you ever have an issue with a RepairPal certified shop NOT honoring our Fair Price Estimate, we want to hear about it immediately and remedy the situation for you. For more information on our Fair Price Guarantee and to file a complaint, check out our FAQ section here: https://repairpal.com/faq thank you so much for bringing this to our attention and we hope this helps solve the problem.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Hi Tony, please reach us here: (866) 936-8428 phone number or you can also schedule a demo here:http://go.repairpal-shops.com/shop-owners/ If you'd like to email any additional information, please send that to community@repairpal.com Good day.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Hi Tony, of course. Please reach out to sales@repairpal.com, (866) 936-8428 phone number or you can also schedule a demo here:http://go.repairpal-shops.com/shop-owners/

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Thank you for reaching out, Allyn. Please visit our Contact Us page: https://repairpal.com/contact_us

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Yes, they should honor that repair. If they are RepairPal Certified we cover them if there is a error in our estimate. Check out RepairPal.com for great shops to do quality repair on your car. Keep in mind that our estimates are straightforward. In the case of a water pump it my need other items that are not included in the estimate. These might include hose, thermostats, and possible a timing belt. These additional items, if needed can add additional costs to the repair.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Hi KK - Can you please let us know the name, location and zip of your shop and I can send you the direct link? Otherwise, if you search on the RepairPal.com page you'll be able to see the reviews as well.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Thanks for the question! Your review is important to us and thanks to our verified review system, only those who visit the shop are able to leave reviews. This ensures every review is truthful and not fixed whatsoever. After completing your service, you should be prompted to leave a review, but just in case, I'm happy to connect you to the Account Manager so your review can be posted. Can you give us the name of the shop and location? Thank you!

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Hey Jim! You can a recommended shop in Twin Falls by visiting www.repairpal.com/directory you'll be prompted to enter your car make and your zip code. Thanks, Jim!

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Thanks for the question, Kelly! Absolutely. The recall information on RepairPal comes straight from the source the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We break the recall down for car owners and also offer the ability to sign up for alerts with your email that way you always know if there's a recall out on your car.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative

Hey, Ed! If you're interested in an account on RepairPal as a user, this costs absolutely nothing. Our estimator, shop look up, and educational resources, like Q&A and Problems, are completely free for use. If you have any additional questions, let us know.

By RepairPal C., RepairPal Representative
Questions? Get answers from the RepairPal staff and other customers.

2 Photos for RepairPal