Review of Booking.com

Herengracht 597
Amsterdam, 1017 CE, Netherlands

timl117
11/18/17

I have used booking .com a few times with no problems and found some great value rooms too.

However, it only takes one bad experience to change my opinion permanently. I hate being ripped off, as I'm guessing most people do.

Recently I used booking.com to book the Best Western Skylane Hotel near Gatwick Airport in the UK.

I booked a triple room with 8 days free parking, for an incredible price of £91. So good I told all my friends.

BUT!!! On arrival at the hotel, we were met by a foreign guy manning the night desk, who could hardly speak a word of English. He was extremely difficult to understand and he found it difficult to understand me. I got the impression he was trying to charge me extra for the parking, but no amount of trying to explain to him worked. I left it until the following day, when I spoke to a young woman, who also told me that I needed to pay extra for the parking. I was furious and so in the end logged into booking.com and showed her the exact same deal for the following night. She refused to back down and said that booking.com had made a mistake.

My attempts to contact booking.com have met with absolutely zero response over the last month, so to prevent others from making the same mistake, I am now writing a review of my experiences at this dreadful hotel in as many places as possible.

No one rips me off and gets away with it. You've been warned. Be very careful when using booking.com. If it looks like a good deal, you may get your fingers burned later.

jamac2
11/18/17

Booked the wrong night and wouldnt give us a refund. Do not use this site!!!! We arrived in the night we had reserved and had to pay cash because they booked us the night before. They arent suppose to charge your card until check in well they sure did and refused to refund anything

petraj4
11/16/17

Long story short: I made a booking for a group (6 rooms, 3 nights) about 2 months in advance for Mexico City (Hotel Diligencias). 2 days before the check in date I received a message that my booking was canceled. I did not cancel it. When I called booking.com they did not take responsibility claiming they did not cancel it either - but they agreed it was canceled. And the hotel was already sold out (very fishy business). Extremely unreliable booking agency that does not work well with the hotels and does not hold them responsible for bookings!

imand1
11/16/17

Recently I did a booking through this site. In the website it was clearly mentioned that the accommodation has parking but later on, they contacted me with a very aggressive language and said that they dont! I tried to follow up on booking.com but unfortunately, they not only did not support me but also they tried to put a blame on me. They just simply said that the cancellation is with hotel! Well, I did not book them through hotel! I did through booking.com! Not recommended...

cyndys5
11/15/17

They are scammers. Do a SCREEN SHOT OF EVERYTHING, if you do use this site! I DID get my cancelation, I called the hotel, showed them proof that @booking.com listed it as free cancellation and that I had a choice of smoking or non smoking.
The manager was great, cancelled my reservation right away, once I showed him that those were on the site. He was pissed!
The hotel it's self has a free/no charge 24hour policy, and the hotel is all non smoking for years!
Below is what I found online after much digging. Its long, but basically, the charge will show up as this company:
When a reservation is paid by credit or debit card, it will be processed by eNett International USA, LLC (for credit or debit cards issued in the United States

6. Prepayment, Cancellation, No-shows and The Fine Print

By making a reservation with a Supplier, you accept and agree to the relevant cancellation and no-show policy of that Supplier, and to any additional (delivery) terms and conditions of the Supplier that may apply to your visit or stay (including The Fine Print of the Supplier made available on our Platform and the relevant house rules of the Supplier), including for services rendered and/or products offered by the accommodation provider (the delivery terms and conditions of an accommodation provider can be obtained with the relevant accommodation provider). The general cancellation and no-show policy of each Supplier is made available on our Platform on the Supplier information pages, during the reservation procedure and in the confirmation email or ticket (if applicable). Please note that certain rates or special offers are not eligible for cancellation or change. Applicable city/tourist tax may still be charged by the Supplier in the event of a no-show or charged cancellation. Please check the (reservation) details of your product or service of choice thoroughly for any such conditions prior to making your reservation.
**************TAKE A SCREENSHOT*********
Please note that a reservation which requires down payment or (wholly or partly) prepayment may be canceled (without a prior notice of default or warning) insofar the relevant (remaining) amount(s) cannot be collected in full on the relevant payment date in accordance with the relevant payment policy of the Supplier and the reservation. Cancellation and prepayment policies may vary according to room type. Please carefully read The Fine Print (below the room types or at the bottom of each Supplier page on our Platform) and Important Information in your reservation confirmation for additional policies as may be applied by the Supplier (e.g. with respect to age requirement, security deposit, non-cancellation/additional supplements for group bookings, extra beds/no free breakfast, pets/cards accepted). Late payment, wrong bank, debit or credit card details, invalid credit/debit cards or insufficient funds are for your own risk and account and you shall not be entitled to any refund of any (non-refundable) prepaid amount unless the Supplier agrees or allows otherwise under its (pre)payment and cancellation policy.
If you wish to review, adjust or cancel your reservation, please revert to the confirmation email and follow the instructions therein. Please note that you may be charged for your cancellation in accordance with the accommodation provider's cancellation, (pre)payment and no-show policy or not be entitled to any repayment of any (pre)paid amount. We recommend that you read the cancellation, (pre)payment and no-show policy of the accommodation provider carefully prior to making your reservation and remember to make further payments on time as may be required for the relevant reservation.
If you have a late or delayed arrival on the check-in date or only arrive the next day, make sure to (timely/promptly) communicate this with the Supplier so they know when to expect you to avoid cancellation of your reservation or room or charge of the no-show fee. Our Customer Service department can help you if needed with informing the Supplier. Booking.com does not accept any liability or responsibility for the consequences of your delayed arrival or any cancellation or charged no-show fee by the Supplier.
7. (Further) Correspondence and Communication

By completing a booking, you agree to receive (i) an email which we may send you shortly prior to your arrival date, giving you information on your destination and providing you with certain information and offers (including third party offers to the extent that you have actively opted in for this information) relevant to your reservation and destination, and (ii) an email which we may send to you promptly after your stay inviting you to complete our guest review form. Please see our Privacy and Cookies Policy for more information about how we may contact you.
Booking.com disclaims any liability or responsibility for any communication with the Supplier on or through its platform. You cannot derive any rights from any request to, or communication with the Supplier or (any form of) acknowledgement of receipt of any communication or request. Booking.com cannot guarantee that any request or communication will be (duly and timely) received/read by, complied with, executed or accepted by the Supplier.
In order to duly complete and secure your reservation, you need to use your correct email address. We are not responsible or liable for (and have no obligation to verify) any wrong or misspelled email address or inaccurate or wrong (mobile) phone number or credit card number.
Any claim or complaint against Booking.com or in respect to the Service must be promptly submitted, but in any event within 30 days after the scheduled day of consummation of the product or service (e.g. check-out date). Any claim or complaint that's submitted after the 30-day period may be rejected, and the claimant shall forfeit their right to any (damage or cost) compensation.
Due to the continuous update and adjustments of rates and availability, we strongly suggest to make screenshots when making a reservation to support your position (if needed).

gerhardl12
11/14/17

We have booked accommodation in Cape Town for our wedding anniversary. When we arrived at the hotel we found out that we have been double booked. We agreed to find alternative accommodation and booked another hotel through Booking.com again, only arrive at the hotel and find out the we have been double booked again by Booking.com. Booking.com then suggested alternative accommodation which was nothing like we have booked initially. We then called the hotels & B&B's in the area for which Booking.com shows that there are accommodation available. All of them were fully booked. How can Booking.com sell rooms which are not available? We end up without accommodation on our wedding anniversary thanks to Booking.com.

gabel17
11/9/17

I tried to cancel what I booked after 6 hours and they wanted me to pay full cost of the hotel which was 1300 dollars for me to cancel. I even booked the dates months before too. Do not ever use these guys. They make money from cancellation fees. I'm going to call Amex and see if they can help me out with this outrageous act.

lisak181
11/6/17

I booked 2 Apartments in NYC thru Booking.com when I arrived the place was a dirty rat infested slum with shared bathrooms and toilets .There are 43 pictures on the website but not one of the shared facilities. Booking .com should not advertise such properties on their site they should insist on the properties putting up relevant pictures not just pictures of local tourist attractions.I did not stay one night in the property but Booking .com are refusing to refund the money offering me just 15% of the money instead.

janets154
11/6/17

i used booking.com a lot never had anything go wrong until recently when i couldnt find my confirmation to cancel hotel 6 weeks in advance 2 of there customer advisors assured me that i hadnt booked the hotel i gave them hotel date my email bank details and still said i hadnt any bookings in my account lo and behold 2 days after the date we tried to cancel hotel takes £110 out of my account not the hotels fault as booking.com hadnt cancelled when i phoned the advisor on the phone found it straight away he said there was a number wrong in my email but with all my other details still found it but yet 6 weeks before event they couldnt find it im furious my family friends will not be using this site again really bad customer service and will be deleting my email address from there site if i could rate them as 0 i would

holliej3
11/3/17

It was bad I got on this site to book a room for six days it was cheap when I did it then I got the bill from the hotel and it was more then what booking.com said I will never every use booking.com again you guys suck

annel129
11/2/17

To make a long story short we booked a hotel in NYC for 5 nights . Booking.com advertised a price of 489 Euros for all 5 nights. We even received an email confirmation stating the amount of 489. You can imagine our "surprise" when our bank account was debited by almost 720 euros.... almost 50% increase.
The answer of Customer Service was that I should have looked at the "fine print". Yes, their price does not include: 14.75% additional charge for taxes + 32.31 USD per night of additionnal charges + 3.50 of Sevice charges per Night. Why are their pricing not including these taxes????? It's not like I have a choice to pay them or not....
At no point it was clearly stated that my total would be 717 euros. They lure you with very attractive prices but then explain that you should read the small print. Dishonnest and unprofessional!

amarajits
10/30/17

I just booked some rooms in New Zealand based on prices advisertised by booking dot com however when I received the confirmation of booking the price is different as they have added a 15% VAT charge, this was not shown anywhere on its prices if rooms advertised.

ginat23
10/30/17

I book through booking.com every year and have been burned a few times so, finally leaned my lesson and will not use them anymore. I booked with free cancellation dates and had an emergency that made it impossible to travel. I cancelled my reservation 3 days prior to the last day I was able to cancel and not be charged. Surprise! I was charged anyway and told there was nothing they could do because the hotel would not refund the charge. Not what I expect from a company that makes a mistake.

draganab1
10/29/17

I just wish I read these reviews since they all verify what I learned about booking.com recently. They cannot be trusted with anything. My story is very long, but I will try to give you some idea how awful their customer service is and how deceitful booking.com is. My family arrived in Washington DC after a long drive from Toronto and did not find anyone at the property where we were supposed to stay for the night. After several hours, stranded , with two very upset kids ,we had a help from a complete stranger. They did not let us know about the cancellation on time(from a guy in charge of the property who could not be reached.....long story, but highly unprofessional behaviour) and we ended up in another apartment, much more expensive, and significantly far away from our original place. There were other problems during our trip but I will try to keep this short. I contacted their customer service numerous time and so far EIGHT different people sent me useless and deceiving emails, just trying to make me give up trying to get some justice and appology . They promised at least to refund us the difference in price between those apartments but it seems they are lying and I will get nothing except an almost ruined trip and valuable experience - NEVER book a trip with booking.com.

romelsons
10/25/17

Muito bom ! chegou a tempo e o produto tem muita qualidade !!
Recomendo o site , atendimento muito cordial.

charlesb202
10/23/17

I booked a room through booking.com in Montreal Canada, it was clearly stated that the total amount was $40 all charges included. Got back home in Toronto and noticed that they took $72 from my card instead of $40. will never use the site again or advice any to use, all the posted reviews on their website are fake.DO NOT USE THEM

cristinat5
10/23/17

Adding to comments sent by my trip-mates, Marissa M (10/4) and Gigi T, (10/24), DO NOT USE THEM. (RSH supposedly managed over 70 properties in Rome.) After repeated complaints from us, they FINALLY offered a EU100. credit...which has never come. Nor an apology.

patriciac133
10/23/17

Please read all details 're cancellation fees!! We booked at PYR hotel in Fuengirola and it stated we could cancel up to 3 days before arrival. We unfortunately had to cancel and we were charged the full price of the room! Tried via Booking.com to get a refund but they said they would try and negotiate with hotel . Nothing doing! We are around £690 out of pocket. Buyer beware.

rajdeepc
10/22/17

Very unsatisfied. The payment terms are not clear and transparent. Will not use again. I have provided my card details for payment while booking, in one booking the hotel charged me again and in the other they did not though i followed the same process for booking.
Bitter experience.

steveno22
10/19/17

DO NOT USE THEM! After over an hour and 2 international phone calls to Booking.com that cost me over $40. I finally got me and my family into a room, not cool!

barbarag118
10/17/17

Regarding booking.com, when I was looking for a place to stay in Paris, and found the place called Luxuous 4 rooms apartment in Marais where we actually stayed at the end, i only wanted to first contact the owner and ask a couple of questions, read reviews but i could not. When booking.com offered me to reserve the place for the requested dates, it turned out that i can only book it without canceling it even on the same day of booking,only if i paid a large part of the fee. This is unacceptable and it is against the law of consumer cancellation policies of the EU: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm
After I made the reservation, that turned out an actual booking, i could read reviews that clearly stated that the place is not the cleanest and nor the most comfortable for a family of 5. This is why booking.com's policy has to changed. Myself is not willing to use their services again if this policy is not modified.
So we got stuck with this place, since we had no other choice. Now about the apartment:

The place has a wonderful location, close to the metro, to Velib (bike) stations, close to supermarkets. It is on the third floor without elevator, what was still ok for us. However the apartment itself can not be called a "Luxurious" place. It is a place with charm, it has some special Parisian touch, but not luxurious at all. The bathroom needs immediate refurbishing and the place needs a good cleaning. The beds are small and uncomfortable. During the hot season sleeping with windows open is impossible due to the noise from the main road and it has no air conditioning. If someone can put up with these conditions, a stay in this charming place can do the work of having an accommodation in Paris.

anetam3
10/16/17

In the apartment we booked in Barcelona a desktop which was bolted to the wall crashed to the ground. I narrowly escaped injury. The owner rude and unsympathetic when asked to either offer another apartment or return money.
The repairman came to fix the table into an already compromised hold in the wall. No confidence in safety of that apartment. When contacted Booking.com with attached photos and other documentation, no support at all. Will never book through them again! poor business model.

joanw46
10/15/17

I would have saved hundreds by reserving directly with the Porter Square Hotel in Cambridge, Mass., instead of through Booking.com. I booked three nights there for a mid-October college reunion, at a nightly rate of less than $200, which is great value for Cambridge. When I got my confirmation, I didn't see a rate on the email. Turns out (a) you had to scroll way, way, way, way, down to see what you'd be charged, and (b) what you saw was not a nightly rate but a total. That total was $814, which I didn't realize until I checked in. I almost passed out. At that point, of course, every hotel for miles around was full.

When I emailed Booking.com customer service (you can't speak to a person on the phone), I got a terse email informing me that my charges were in the confirmation. What a racket these folks are running!

cb195
10/13/17

1. My daughter is in Rocky Mountain National Park at a hotel using this service tonight. The room is so bad she asked to speak with the mgr and got the owner. The owner said, "The reason you have the worst room is that you used booking.com. If you don't like it, you can leave.
2. My husband and I stayed at 2 places in Scotland in Sept. 2017. The first was written as a first floor room with ocean views (in Keiss on NC500). It was actually an attic room with steep eaves and the only windows were in the ceiling, literally. We showed the mgr the write up on booking.com and she said booking writes the description and she had no responsibility.
3. We also used booking.com in Inverness, Scotland. We paid $300 (not a low rate) for one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed at - Best Western Palace on the river. Ha, more like a monk's cell than a palace. Again, steep eaves, one tiny window, no ventilation and all this for $300.
I will never use booking.com again, and anyone who says you get a bad room because of the low price hasn't used the service. It's actually a high price for the worst room in the hotel.

francescac13
10/11/17

I used the booking.com site on Thursday night to purchase a hotel/room in Manhattan for October 27 to October 28 at Splendid Apartment in Times Square for a total of $455. I paid with my credit card and I booked the hotel. About an hour after I booked the hotel I received a email from booking.com stating my credit card is invalid and that it could not be processed however my booking was still valid and they suggested I contact my card provider. I went to the website and re added my card information. Then again another hour passed and I received the same email and did the process again with reentering my card information but this time I scanned it to make sure none of the information was incorrectly entered. I also emailed the email I was given with the credit card issue. I emailed them October 5 at 11.06 PM after I entered in the credit card information for the second time. I stated that I booked a from through booking.com, and received a email stating my credit card was invalid. I updated it and received another email however everything was correct so I asked what else i can do to fix the issue. They emailed me back stating they tried to charge the card twice and it was declined. they will try one more time however their merchant transaction provider will only let them charge three times. So I know the card has money on it so when they told me it was declined I first called my bank and asked what was going on. I told them what they apartments stated and asked how I could fix this issue. My bank told me on their part nothing was declined and that no transaction of that amount by that provider even tried to take out money. They said nothing is pending so they have no idea why the apartment stated it was declined because their is enough funds, and they accept international transactions. So I called the apartments on Friday morning October 6, and asked to speak with someone about this issue. I told them what my bank stated and confirmed over the phone the card information. The hotel personal told me they were going to call me back within the hour after they speak to their financial department and we might need to try a new card. I waited for a call back for about three hours until I contacted the hotel again. They told me they apologize that they got busy because everyone was checking in and out and they were going to contact me soon. I waited till the next day to then receive an email on October 7 at 530PM stating my reservation was canceled. Now I am extremely upset I contacted the hotel and they were extremely rude refusing to help me stating it was a Saturday night and to call back on Monday, which for one is extremely unprofessional as they stated they were going to contact me back to get the issue fixed and then decided to cancel without my permission. Now I am not sure what to do, if they would have contacted me back like they promised they were going to I would have provided them with another card even though the first one should have worked. Without warning they canceled my booking now I am out of luck at a place to stay for that date. The hotel staff that was rude on Saturday night stated they have nothing to do with this website and that they have no fault. Now if that was the case they should not offer their services on your website. Please help me correct this ASAP, we have a trip planned for that date and this hotel was specifically picked for it location and price. I am currently very upset and do plan on contacting other sources if this issue is not fixed. I am not happy with how the hotel handled this situation especially because I was patient waiting for them to contact me when I was told my the hotel staff my room is saved and the issue will be fixed.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

In my case they took my payment information and paid the hotel where I was going to be staying. Only to find out that the hotel was out of business and I had to prove that it was charged to my account. They did not find me a replacement hotel to stay in for the same price. Nor did they care that I was left without a place to stay. So beware before you purchase.

By Janice R.

Don't waste time with booking.com. They have horrible customer service and will make every attempt to cheat you. Simply report the problem to your credit card company to get your refund.

By really n.

You pay a non refundable price on line. When you check into your hotel, it's billed to your Bookings.com reservation plus incidentals (local calls,parking fees,resort fees, dining,bar fees, Europe charges local or city tax, spa fees....) the hotel will ask for a card as a hold for these fees. Use bookings.com, find the hotel you wish to stay in (get all info and contact them directly via website and price match) the Marriott in Rome had a room for $80.00 less on the Marriott website than these , so called MONEY SAVING SITES.

By China m.

Girl are you KIDDING? Did you not read my review? They promised me a $50 refund for not provding the room I paid for and I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED IT. You expect to give you a frequent customer discount? LOL LOL LOL

By Ed A.

Trevago is hooked into Booking.com don't make a mistake and let trevago send you to booking.com go to Hotel.com which is more professional. I had to go to American Express customer serviced to complain and they gave a dead line for explanation. They had no explanation for crappy service and had to repay me.

By Atno S.

Good luck. Booking likes to advertise the lowest fare and then bait and switch. Very unscrupulous company. They leave you holding the bag and don' are.

By William C.

It is about time to stop giving credit card details to make a booking, they should not ask people to expose their details un-crypted. A booking is just a booking it should NOT require any kind of commitment or payment in advance.

By Grow U.

You can't. That's the whole idea. You provide a service, and your customers get to give their review of your place and your services.

By Link A.

Yes. You pay the ENTIRE AMOUNT at the time if booking. The reservation is subject to the sites terms regarding cancellations & changes, so read these terms carefully before hitting the pay button. IMPORTANT: As a word to the wise, do not ever use your debit card, check, wire transfer, certified check or cash to pay. Always use a major credit card (I like American Express) so if there is ever a serious problem with the hotel, or the reservation in general, you can file a complaint with your credit card company to reverse the charge. If you pay by other debit card, they take the money out of your bank account immediately. It is like cash and you're going to have very little recourse or leverage to get your money back. Hope this advise helps.

By Beth K.

NOT BOOKING.CON

By tracey v.
Questions? Get answers from the Booking.com staff and other customers.

51 Photos for Booking.com