Review of Booking.com

Herengracht 597
Amsterdam, 1017 CE, Netherlands

rogh3
9/22/17

NEVER NEVER use this website which is a scam/rip off.
It cancels my reservation right before my departure.
I called Booking.com and they said there's a cancellation by "guest" (that mean myself) login and and cancel it via the website.
I have never done that and they said because it was my cancellation so they have to charge me full price.

chrism405
9/22/17

Had i gone direct to the hotel or even used airbnb i'd have saved myself a whole lot of money -lesson learnt

fernandom39
9/22/17

Pretty clean and check in was quick. Housekeepers gave me extra towels when I already had some. Staff is on it thank you.

shaelyng
9/18/17

I booked a room just after hurricane Irma for 2 nights when I arrived I was informed that not only were there no rooms, but no reservations should have even been taken, There were many other people in the same situation.

It didn't stop there, however. Two days later I was charged for the stay. I called the hotel and they said that it wasn't them as they never received my info, so I called Booking.com and they said they would take care of it. Two days after that I get an email saying that they had proof that I did indeed stay and check in and that the charge would stay. I was in a different town and in a different hotel!!

I called the hotel to inquire about the proof and was told by the manager that he knew that I didn't stay there for those 2 days and that he would follow up on a refund. Called Booking.com and asked if they had my signature on anything? No. Did they have a copy of my Driver's License? No. Anything else to prove that I was there? No, just the say so of the girl at the front desk. The rep then called and spoke to the manager and confirmed that I did not check in and that I should be getting a refund.

I never should have had to go through this. I understand that due to the storm things were crazy, but the followup and lack of customer support was beyond pathetic!

johnm1162
9/17/17

They do false advertising of free cancellation. Tried to charge me 11i euros when I cancelled 3 weeks in advance, totally contrary to their website. It is a potential fraudulent operation......John

enriquec16
9/17/17

Sending to my business constantly reservations although not being listed. Never apologizing neither to me nor the clients, but sending invoices!
I do not trust them at all.

thomasf107
9/16/17

Mysterious charges showing up long after I stayed at one of their properties...over a month and 7 emails were necessary to get them to acknowledge that they had made a mistake (it had all the appearance of fraud). Use Priceline or contact the hotel directly to get best service and price. Beautiful photos of the room but no mention of the unsafe neighborhood in their promotion.

davidj313
9/15/17

Complained about the hotel and service we received through booking.com, the hotel was disgustingly dirty, rude staff, cold poor quality food and a dog constantly barking in the room next door, this is part of the response from booking.com, bearing in mind we searched for what we were told by the website was a good clean, friendly hotel with excellent all inclusive facilities.
Booking.com statement
"If you value good hotel facilities and service we suggest you book accommodation with an average rating of 7.5 or higher. (Dimitar G Customer Service Team)"
Maybe all potential customers of booking.com should be advised of this statement prior to using their services, am appalled at the way this company treats their customers.

stevenm195
9/12/17

Without consulting reviews I used booking.com to book a room in Washington DC. When booking it the site showed $0 to cancel or change the reservation.
The short version is that I inadvertently booked the wrong date. I was charged in spite of emailing immediately, not days later, not hours later, literally within minutes.
I just noticed yesterday on my credit card bill a third charge for another date I didn't book.
As to ease of use. It was easy. As to explaining how to correct a mistake or dispute a third charge, there is nothing.
Hopefully this scam site is run completely out of business sooner than later.
Just to be sure, I am filing a Better Business Bureau compliant since their site is not designed to assist with complaints. They roll it to the hotel which rolls it back to booking as the agent.

michaelg377
9/10/17

Booking.com was once very good. Their service was very considerate in the past, that was 7 years ago. But now, their website is filled with all kinds of misleading listings by hotels and private apartments in Spain, in Europe, in USA. In Spain, on the website, they are listing hotels with big letters of "free cancellation", I booked. the next day, I changed hotel and cancelled the booking, I was charged with full price for cancellation charge! When I called booking.com, I was placed for waiting for a long time and when finally some one pick up the the phone, they said they were going to find out from the hotel and call me back. They never did. I will never use booking.com again!

marym330
9/9/17

I booked a weekend away at the seaside, two nights at a hotel in UK. The booking process said "free reservation" so I went continued to reserve my room. Immediately after completing this process, the first night's payment of £100 was taken (effectively as a deposit) so I could not cancel even though booking was months ahead! When I complained about this and said I wanted to cancel Booking.com refused and said it was in the "small print". Customer Services were rude and unhelpful. I asked to escalate it to Head Office in UK but they said they had no address there. I insisted I wanted to write to CEO and they said they had no address, except in Amsterdam, and again they refused to give me the address. Absolutely bonkers as well as unpleasant to deal with. Never again.

lisad243
9/8/17

If I could give them zero stars I would. I left Tampa to avoid a hurricane. Drove for 12 hours in traffic to finally get to the hotel at 1230 in the morning. There is no front desk person only a security guard left with keys for people that are late checking in. There was no key for me. Called booking.com who said they attempted to call the property. Although the rep was very nice she said we would call you back in 30 minutes with an update. No call so I called them back. No they stated they need an additional 20 minutes to find me new accommodations. I have already been charged for my room.

michelled152
9/8/17

I've come to Lake George every year since I was a kid for the past 30 years. I have never stayed at Scotty's Lakeside Resort before and I can say I honestly never will. The rooms were severely outdated along with the furniture being severely outdated too. There was peeling chipping paint in the room and space heaters that were overlapping with the curtains from the window which could possibly cause a fire hazard in my opinion. It was nice to be right by the lake that was the nice part but I won't be staying here again

sabrinah24
9/7/17

Very poor service! There was a mistake on their app when I booked the hotel, I contacted them immediately and kept on explaining I have never asked to have 2 rooms, it was an error and requested to cancel booking. They just ignored my request and charged me, they have given no option and refused to help, stay away from this company!

edj28
9/4/17

Bookings . Com is misleading and does not protect you in any way . They are a third party scam and a buffer between you and your hotel. They will nevver give a refund . Even if u cancel within 24 hours . They say that the hotel has the option to refund you. And will show you no love or thoughtful consideration .they suck and can eat a big bag Of $#*!. Say your hotel is out of the country. Your expected to go around booking. Com and deal with the hotel directly, they get there's then $#*! doing any extra work. No help at all. In fact a bigger pain in the ass. Twice they screwed us. Once in Mexico City on a return flight. We used them to book a room when our flight got change to a morning flight. . Thinking ahead we use booking . Com to get a room at the airport. After talking to a airline agent they compt. Is a free room , so. Allied booking . Com to cancel the other room. Not 1 hour
Later. They said no refund. Even when I explain the situation.no bueno. And again booked a vacation stay in Costa Rica for a surprise birthday . Had to cancel less then 12 hours after it was booked . No refund. Kept the 200 and 20 dollars. That's a ripoff if I ever heard one. Shame on that site and a big $#*! you. And all your affiliates.

kevina94
9/4/17

Terrible customer service there is no manager or supervisor to help you even at request. Don't use booking.

emorym23
9/4/17

We were in Bar Harbor, Maine at Robbins motel, they overcharged us. It was less to pay hotel rate than using Booking.com, we got ripped off and complained, they told us too bad,

jessicat111
9/3/17

This has been the worst stay/booking ever! First, upon finding out that our reservation wasn't available because they were overbooked (as I've seen at this location with at least a dozen other guests in the times I have been in the office) we contacted booking.com. We spent a period of 2 1/2 hours trying to get a solution which basically the hotel wanted to downgrade us to a motel 6 room with no refrigerator and no microwave. We rented a unit with a kitchenette and packed a cooler for our stay so this would not work. The agent helping us suggested that since the hotel was working with us there wasn't much else he could do. As I explained to him, never is it an acceptable answer to downgrade a room. It should be as good or better. While he started "looking" the assistant manager Ali came back on the line and said he had found 2 double rooms at studio 6. We arrived there a half hour later at 4:30 and to our surprise there was no rooms. He was wrong and there was nothing available. We waited for an hour for a solution which we proposed as we had no where else to go. We took a single room in studio 6 (for the kitchenette and put a blow up mattress on the floor for our children) and the rest of our group was put in a double at motel 6. We were told we would be able to move the next day to our rooms. We attempted to cook that night however the burners were in such poor condition that we tried for 45 minutes to boil water but it wouldn't get hot enough. We instead had to take our family out to dinner. The next day ended up still not having rooms ready at 4 pm. They finally found us rooms (one was missing a drawer in the dresser, a coffee pot, and 2 trashcans) and the other was missing the microwave. This doesn't include the several dishes missing from both rooms and the fact that we had to move pillows from the single room to the double room. We moved our stuff and went to the pool. Upon returning to our room to make dinner we found several roaches in our room. We instantly went to the office and found out they had no where else to put us because they were fully booked in both hotels. They offered to spray it with bug spray that they stated was safe for me (pregnant) and my baby to be in the room. We elected to move to the other room to allow the spray to work and hopefully avoid any issues. Upon coming back to spray we found out that the bathroom sink was leaking all over our stuff in the cabinet. They had no one that could fix and stated someone would have to do it in the morning. We had to stay in a room that after they sprayed more bugs came out. During all of this we attempted to get help from booking.com; however, the agent put is on hold for a long time looking into the notes and contacting the hotel. As it was almost 8 we just hung up and suffered as we knew nothing was going to happen that night. We went this morning to get status of changing rooms, concerns about bugs in our stuff (asked if there pest control could come treat while we were out and we were informed they don't have anyone from pest control that could come out today-they only come on Thursdays), and asked about the sink. Front desk was unaware of the required move today, the repair, and the bug issues. In addition she was unaware of the credit that was supposed to be credited to our card. No one should have to pay to sleep in a roach infested room and worry about bringing them home. At this point, I'm being told that the assistant general manager doesn't come in until 6 and she would try to reach him. That was 45 minutes ago and once again no communication. No one should have to spend this much time moving rooms and dealing with issues on a vacation. We booked 2 rooms for 3 nights and expect that we should be able to enjoy our vacation not deal with all this stress and drama. I am once again having to feed my family out because I will not eat in a roach infested room and this is unacceptable. When I tried to call booking.com last night the agent needed to put me on hold to review notes and contact the hotel. I was on hold for quite some time and finally decided to hang up. There was nothing that was goingto get fixedat almost 8pm. Booking.com should have helped us get a better location from the start and found a way to comp to the price we were guaranteed when we booked on August 5th. I've never been so disappointed and what should have been a relaxing vacation with our children enjoying our park passes at six flags has turned into an outright nightmare and hours of being put out and fighting to have a place to stay. Very disappointed with Studio 6 and Booking.com. No guest should have to go through the troubles we're going through!

jasonp49
9/2/17

Had been a faithful customer for years, but after I was extremely let down by a hotel in Krakow, I wanted to post a review on this hotel on Booking.com.

Of course my review was never published - as it can be seen from the screenshot - hopefully it is uploaded.

Then I realised that there is no kind of protection to the guest. In my case the hotel did not provide what I booked - a room with air-condition and I wanted to leave. The hotel did not let me since they wanted to charge me for a night because of Booking.com commission. After checking the FAQ etc, there was nowhere where I can complain on the hotel with Booking.com

It is good to know that Booking.com charge 10% to 20% commission on top of the price of the hotel. Looking around in other sites, you may find the hotel / apartment cheaper than Booking.com.

UPDATED:
After emailing Booking.com (it wasn't a friendly email) to post my review, since the time period to review the hotel was about to expire), my reviews was posted.

My rating does not change anyway since the customer is not protected in no way. Won't book again from Booking.com

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere

rajkumard1
9/1/17

Hi All,

I have booked a hotel in New York for 2 night stay. When I booked the Family Suite i did not realized that it did not had kitchen and also did not realize the booking i made was non refundable. Since my parents are too old and they cant take food from outside hotel. Within an 30 mins of my booking i contacted the property and bookings.com and both asked me to contact each other. I again contacted less than 14 hours and requesting to cancel the hotel for free of cost or provide me the options to book a room with kitchen. Both of my options are rejected. For my parents its a one time wish to see New York and now it looks like its going to be very tough for them to survive without having home made food. I accept there is a fault from my side for not looking the property details properly. But I made the request withon 30 mins and one more request is less than 14 hrs. This is really disappointing and caused mental worry for this trip.

manona
8/31/17

I have made a booking on this website for accommodation in Miami. It was a private flat and the host never came. I was left with no accommodation. Booking.com was unable to get in touch with the host and said I wouldn't be charged for the booking. I realised they charged me and have been unable to get a refund for weeks, but they are ignoring me. Their customer service is appalling and I will never use this service again. I suggest you do the same.

lillya15
8/30/17

I was charged 1600$ for a 3 day stay at Crown Plaza Niagara . They charged my credit card 3 days before I got into the hotel when booking.Com website clearly states that i don't pay until I check in . The room was rated at 290$ a night with breakfast , I was charged for breakfast when I got in. How is this website allowed to lie along with Crown Plaza? 1600$ for what? I wasn't even in the room half the time. I asked CP them why the charges happened they say it's all pre authorized , how do you pre authorize an extra 800$. I have sent numerous emails to booking.Com and called with no answers .. they won't answer the phone or email.

bonnies99
8/30/17

AJO apartments Vienna. Horrible & now costing 100 more than we booked through Booking.com for. Landlord did not honor confirmation. LIES and little backup. Will not use again.

patb116
8/28/17

They missrepresent the hotels. I booked a 4 star hotel when I got there was a building extracted from a horror movie. Drug addicts on the floor shooting crack on the front steps. A motor lodge has more stars than that place. I requested my money back (5 nights) they did not refund me one penny. There was a clear breach of contract. That was not a 4 star hotel, they did not care. When I asked for a supervisor, I got insulted over the phone and hunged up. Whaaaaat??? This is absolutely unnacceptable. They do not visit the hotels they advertise, and the customer service is inexistent. Booking.com is simply a scam!

rosettem
8/27/17

I used booking.com to book 3 different hotels during my trip 2 out 3 were fine. However when I got to my last destination it was like a scene from a horror movie. Fraudulent advertisement. We had two go up a dirt back roads with high brush. We thought for sure GPS has taken us to the wrong spot then had to go under power lines and finally saw a small wooden sign that had the name of the place. My family was petrified. We were greeted by a dog and the property was infested by flies. When I called the representative at booking.com. She said the property owners had already called them and said we're weren't staying and would not refund our stay!!!! I asked to speak to supervisor and she hung up on me. What????? Absolutely horrible.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

In my case they took my payment information and paid the hotel where I was going to be staying. Only to find out that the hotel was out of business and I had to prove that it was charged to my account. They did not find me a replacement hotel to stay in for the same price. Nor did they care that I was left without a place to stay. So beware before you purchase.

By Janice R. on 11/6/15
Helpful answer

Don't waste time with booking.com. They have horrible customer service and will make every attempt to cheat you. Simply report the problem to your credit card company to get your refund.

By really n. on 8/20/15
Helpful answer

You pay a non refundable price on line. When you check into your hotel, it's billed to your Bookings.com reservation plus incidentals (local calls,parking fees,resort fees, dining,bar fees, Europe charges local or city tax, spa fees....) the hotel will ask for a card as a hold for these fees. Use bookings.com, find the hotel you wish to stay in (get all info and contact them directly via website and price match) the Marriott in Rome had a room for $80.00 less on the Marriott website than these , so called MONEY SAVING SITES.

By China m. on 9/20/15
Helpful answer

Girl are you KIDDING? Did you not read my review? They promised me a $50 refund for not provding the room I paid for and I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED IT. You expect to give you a frequent customer discount? LOL LOL LOL

By Ed A. on 5/2/15
Helpful answer

Trevago is hooked into Booking.com don't make a mistake and let trevago send you to booking.com go to Hotel.com which is more professional. I had to go to American Express customer serviced to complain and they gave a dead line for explanation. They had no explanation for crappy service and had to repay me.

By Atno S. on 4/20/15
Helpful answer

Good luck. Booking likes to advertise the lowest fare and then bait and switch. Very unscrupulous company. They leave you holding the bag and don' are.

By William C. on 12/1/15
Helpful answer

It is about time to stop giving credit card details to make a booking, they should not ask people to expose their details un-crypted. A booking is just a booking it should NOT require any kind of commitment or payment in advance.

By Grow U. on 8/9/15
Helpful answer

You can't. That's the whole idea. You provide a service, and your customers get to give their review of your place and your services.

By Link A. on 8/27/15
Helpful answer

Yes. You pay the ENTIRE AMOUNT at the time if booking. The reservation is subject to the sites terms regarding cancellations & changes, so read these terms carefully before hitting the pay button. IMPORTANT: As a word to the wise, do not ever use your debit card, check, wire transfer, certified check or cash to pay. Always use a major credit card (I like American Express) so if there is ever a serious problem with the hotel, or the reservation in general, you can file a complaint with your credit card company to reverse the charge. If you pay by other debit card, they take the money out of your bank account immediately. It is like cash and you're going to have very little recourse or leverage to get your money back. Hope this advise helps.

By Beth K. on 5/25/15

NOT BOOKING.CON

By tracey v. on 2/3/17
Questions? Get answers from the Booking.com staff and other customers.

51 Photos for Booking.com