Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

brianm805
5/24/19

canceled a trip 3 months in advance and due to their "strict" refund policy option they give the host, I only recieved a $17 refund on a $175 deposit. What a horrible policy and a horrible host. I'll never use Airbnb again. I'd rather deal with a real company

yingc8
5/15/19

Do yourself a favor and go to a hotel. I rented a place last March of 2017 and when we got there the bed has rodent drippings on the mattress. We didn't stay there at all and ended up renting at the Mariot in Emeryville. The hotel was only $100 more than their rental at airbnb. I called airbnb customer service and told them the situation while in the rental to ask for a refund. They made me call them a lot. I sent them photos and they said it wasn't enough. Long story short they didn't issue refund. I called my credit card company mailed them the photo and I'm glad chase refunded me everything. Don't expect Airbnb to issue a refund. Book a hotel instead to make sure or if you encounter a problem make sure take photos report it to them at once then ask refund from your credit card company.

sarad149
5/13/19

Without prejudice and written entirely from my perspective and all opinions being my own.

2 females (wise individuals) book a Villa in Marseille. Looks amazing online. In reality not so. We arrive exactly on time. All doors are open so we enter, a man is standing in the Kitchen with his back to us we say hello, he does not turn around and simply grunts. We are left to presume he is a guest. We wondered about on the ground floor. The first thing I see is the laundry strewn over the balcony with stones on top. Enter the living room a huge pile of sheets on the sofa. The dining room - once inside you are greeted by several huge paint splattered speakers of course not on the photos. Back towards the kitchen the man scuttles hurriedly upstairs. We step in the quite cluttered kitchen where said man has left the remnants of his bread and humus. A somewhat messy smaller room to the side housing the floor to ceiling booze some of which was leaking onto the floor and washing machine with odd pieces of laundry dotting the floor. Not a great reception at all. What to do? I suggest we venture upstairs to find our room and or the man we just saw. We are one flight up when the man reappears and blocks our path. He says nothing......I ask are you the host to which he replies are you so and so. Yes I say, he states, 'and you just come upstairs by yourself?' very aggressively. You just walked right passed us I state. 'I thought you were friends of my other guests who are english, why didn t you call me I gave you my number.' He never gave us his number (and why would we call him he was right there?) he was not forthcoming with any information prior to our arrival. I had asked how we would enter the villa and who would be there at what times, his reply don t worry all the taxi s know it.??? I put that down to language barrier? We did not know till we got there at 6pm how to get in. I should explain that this is a villa quite high up not at ground level not so obvious. We found the gate and his name pressed the buzzer twice so i really don t understand how he did not know who we were? We presumed he had buzzed us in but we learnt later the gate was always open. He showed us to our room, presentable enough at first glance. He left to fetch towels and keys. He offered to show us the kitchen I replied I had already seen it. The atmosphere inside the villa was eerie and there was no sign of any other guests despite his earlier excuse for ignoring us. My friend went downstairs with him to be shown the washing machine I checked out the bathroom. The closet/wardrobe had been freshly painted so that couldn t be used due to smell. Behind the toilet were exposed wires where someone had done a very poor DIY light above the bathroom mirror job. The taps on the sink and in the shower were not clean the shower had a pebble bottom and several of these were missing showing age and wear. This led me to look under the bed and sure enough full of dust and a tissue? The bed seemed ok I pulled back the duvet to reveal a crumpled bottom sheet, I did the smell test they smelt neither clean nor dirty. My friend returned and informed me the host had left leaving the glass of wine he was drinking balancing on the garden wall. On further inspection of the towels he had handed us we realized they were in fact wet. We now also noticed the painting above the bed (not shown in the photos) of a female wearing a white basque which was revealing her pubic hair??? Also above the bed at head level was a metal lever sticking out of the wall, for gas, water god knows? Definetely a hazard. We hadn t eaten all day so left to get a pizza nearby unsure of what we were going to do. This is when we noticed the opaque glass panel in the bedroom door which had 2 more see through circle sections and a further 2 scratched out spots which viewed the bed - our bed. Immediately to our left we saw a cupboard with a pair of scissors for a handle. As if all that wasn t enough there was no lock on the inside of the room. my friend told me that on her previous visit downstairs she had noticed a room with an open door which couldn t be a guest room she described an absolute tip with clothes and objects shin deep all over the floor. This door was closed now. In the entrance way we noticed a vase which had been smashed to bits and glued back together. All the plants from the photos were now covering the kitchen table dead. The host had left a cupboard open and plates balancing on the sink side. The fridge was completely full no room for us. On arrival we had noticed an animal hutch in front of the main door again not photographed not mentioned. So on our way out we noticed the 2 fluffy baby bunny rabbits??? It did not reassure us. Also saw a plastic container containing dirty drinking glasses, many glasses just a step up from the front door so the entrance area, it had been there a while by the looks of it. We got our pizza and returned we ate outside as we did not feel comfortable inside. Turned out we were not comfortable outside either, we were completely on edge. We went to put the unfinished pizza in the bin which is when we saw the man s jumper and empty cleaning fluid bottle in the bin and I mean that was all that was in the bin. We immediately entered what is known as fight or flight mode, we didn t know where he was, he could have returned when were at the pizza place. I volunteered to go back upstairs and gather our belongings my friend stood guard at the front door. We locked the kitchen door he had left open returned the keys to the room and shut the self locking front door behind us and made our way down the creepy stone steps to our escape. With no phone ( my friend had issues with provider abroad) no access to internet we were forced to return to the city (30 min bus ride) and find a hotel. Luckily my friend had funds on her card to do this. With help from several members of the public and their phones we finally found our way to an Ibis to salvation. We were quite shaken up by the time we got to the hotel after 9pm. The staff were amazing they gave us discount because of our ordeal talked to us listened to us and the restaurant served us apple pie with cream and ice cream just what we needed after our ordeal. We contacted Airbnb as soon as was possible and for me that was before I had even returned home. We actually wrote a 4 page report sent photos that I even in my nervous state and had the foresight to take. We sent the hotel receipt. 2 weeks of the email game reliving that night over and over again to be told NO. the host won t refund and you didn t follow procedure. I mean its not real, right? Your emailing some minimum wage person who s first language is not english who are trained to say No. There are no supervisors or managers, my friend emailed the ceo s top dogs, nothing I don t believe they exist. For all we know it could literally be a 15 year old in their bedroom. This is not a real company at all. Its a sham. Appalling not just for us but this guy so called host is allowed to carry on, what about when 2 females not of our age and maturity book in there? It is not safe. You can t get anywhere with Airbnb directly its just not designed that way they have to be publicly outed and shamed and I would call for them to be shut down or boycotted so they just dissolve. This was my first and only experience with this cowboy outfit, thank goodness we had only used it for 2 nights of our 6 night break. We stayed with Ibis Hotels for the other nights and they were fantastic in every way. My friend has already contacted TV in the UK. They have to be brought to justice.

Tried 2 times to add photos here, page locks and I have to start again. Also had problems on Airbnbhell.com just didn t work.
When emailing Airbnb I lost my account for 2 days after trying to open a mail from them. It said it couldn t connect to google yet my other google accounts were fine???

kostasm9
5/12/19

I was looking for an appartement in Kefalonia, Greece, contacted the owner for some details he responded, then I made a reservation. SInce then no news. I contact Airbnb they told me to look for a new one since the appartement I cant find it any more...not a good first taste. So I hesitate to go further in a new reservation, I suppose they play games to change prices higher maybe? Owners are the types they dont like questions to prouve the pictures are what you ll really get?

mird
5/10/19

After a 3rd bad experience, I have decided to opt out of Airbnb, and removed my account. First bad experience was in Europe (Czech Republic)where just a week before my stay, owner was no longer responding. I cancelled successfully, but had to settle for a hotel as other options were no longer available. 2nd bad experience was in Paris where apartment rented lacked bedding for the second bed, and bathroom was not clean. But the worst third bad experience was 2 weekends ago in Boston where apartment was NOT as described (a bachelor instead of a one bedroom), had a dismall kitchen with a smelly sponge for cleaning, lacked bedding and blankets, had a dirty bathroom rug, and had a paying parking where we were told it would be free. When these were mentioned to the host, she posted that WE had ruined the place (she obviously poorly understood the cleaning lady who had explained that the people before us had done so!), and she posted a horrific comment about me on my profile. I explained this in length to the AIRbnb people, they said they could not do anything about it, nor were they going to review the details of the place. It is too bad, I did have good experiences (2) also, one on Pelee Island, and one in Prince Edward County.

rowanh12
5/9/19

Incredible bad experience.
The apartment i booked in Tokyo was in a horrible state to the point i immediately left.
I complained about it at airbnb and i stuck to their rules (Contacted and left within 24 hours of arriving and contacted the host ) but no result.
The excuse was that the host had a lot of good replies, while the host is able to accept his own reviews.
Multiple phone calls later no result, multiple promises later no result and 1200 euros gone.

Just never use airbnb you're better off using a hotel.

dougw137
5/8/19

They'll back charge you for damage that was there before your stay. Make sure you take pictures of all stains or chipped paint when you arrive. They will charge your credit card if the owner wants to scam and you will be stuck updating the house on your dime. The customer service will give you no love.

darias15
5/7/19

My previous experience with AirBnB was good, and I did not expect to stumble upon a scam this time. But, I guess there's always first time...
As it turns out AirBnB supports certain service providers, who are not the owners or owning/managing entities of the space, but suggest sort of "mediation service". They will (for additional fee of 11 euros per day stay) "kindly" call the hotel and book a room for you. Surely, the stay in the hotel is way cheaper than suggested by them price. They have a strict refund terms set, and answer/confirm reservation request extremely quickly. Even though, it may be more than a month or two until the check-in, it's only possible to get refund of 50%.
What made the experience even worse was that AirBnB will not assist you in requesting the full refund and cancelling the stay. They just close the case, as if "you have agreed to terms and conditions". And I do understand, I did, but I also have a right to dispute, which they refused me in without even getting the details.
Understandable is also the fact that AirBnB gets a commission from these scammers, so they don't try to protect the customer. They also are not interested in providing refunds apparently... So to say, AirBnB are quite discourteous and in fact support such scammers.
I do not manifest not using AirBnB, but will myself try avoiding the service. I understand too, that this experience will be considered a pointless whining in the world of "getting money", and it seems this philosophy has conquered any sense of integrity here.
AirBnB doesn't even require these scammers to provide you the real booking confirmation, and if suddenly it will appear that the reservation is not there, they surely won't assist in getting host to provide you other equivalent accommodation. What is more, they got my dates wrong, o it's double the scam, I had to cancel. Did they really think I am going to book from them again?
I will check each suggestion twice from now on, but mostly will try to avoid it.

nataliet174
5/7/19

The are cheating people and some account who have travel credit charge more money for the service, so they don`t have to pay any money.
Customers service didn`t help at all and didn`t provide any explanation.
Not using them again in the future.
Screenshots show the difference in price

warrenh18
5/6/19

We had a problem as the host's apartment was disgraceful. The shower didn't work and as per Airbnb's Guest Refund policy we should be due a full refund but they have refused. We only stayed there for a few hours and left at 8pm to find alternative accommodation and Airbnb turned their backs on us. Stick to hotels. They are better and in the long run cheaper. If you have problems you are covered by ATOL but with Airbnb you have no chance. We've lost so much money now and I would never use this company ever again. This was the first time I've used them and will be the last time.

martinad16
5/5/19

We booked a home to stay at for August two months ago. Then Friday, i get a notification that our trip has been cancelled and we are being fully refunded. This trip is only a few months away in Nashville, there are hardly any affordable places left for 12 people. Anyway, I contact customer service to see what happened and I find out the owner is listing her house for sale so she had to cancel all of her reservations. I message support and they tell me that since I chose the full refund option (keep in mind i didn't chose any option, it was just auto refunded) That I'm not eligible for a discount on my new booking. So I book a new place and they follow up after I say we been paying interest on the credit card that we booked with originally so we're losing money off of this they offered to give me $25 off my next booking and I say OK that's a terrible compensation but you can apply it to our next payment for the house we just booked. Then they say they can't apply it to something that's already been booked. This is the most ridiculous customer service I've ever had to deal with I shouldn't have had to call and ask to get compensated for that huge inconvenience, it should have just happened and nothing even happened in the end of it, we lost money with the interest paid on our card and had to book a new place. It was a huge inconvenience on our trip, we lost money and I will never use this app again after this next trip and I advise that you don't either.

edwardg160
5/5/19

First off, I've been an apartment rental manager for 50+ 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 3 bedroom units. I've done extensive background checks on prospective residents because it is my personal policy to rent only to people I feel safe with and people I would be willing to have as a neighbor. In 30+ years, I've turned away hundreds of people due to safety concerns (convicted felons, drunk drivers, domestic abusers, disorderly conduct, pedophiles, prostitution, etc, and yes, one convicted murderer out after a 20 year sentence---this in a town with a population of 104,000). There have only been a handful of people I've rented to who I wouldn't rent to again (problem personalities). My units are not lower end, and are usually occupied by professional people, often health care workers, attorneys, engineers. For the most part I've fully refunded security deposits. I loved the rental business UNTIL I listed with Airbnb...I booked with someone who met airbnb's criteria, only to find out this individual lied on his "application", and the lie was serious enough for me to question the safety of allowing this prospective "guest" on my property (and jeopardizing the safety of my current residents) so I IMMEDIATELY cancelled the reservation. I was penalized $100 for cancellation within a 24 hour period of the guests move in date, and I was penalized ratings wise because I cancelled a booked reservation. After a considerable amount of time spent with their customer service reps (sic), $100 was refunded but I still lost $1000 of "rent" that I could have had, if the unit had been booked to a person who was "safe". I consider myself a responsible host and would not knowingly host someone who could potentially endanger the safety of my guests or me, but some hosts would put money before safety and airbnb doesn't screen out those hosts based on where some of those properties are located (believe me, the location stars mean nothing). Oh, and when I realized I was dealing with a potentially unsafe "guest" I immediately contacted airbnb by phone and was put on hold indefinitely so I finally hung up and then sent them a "live chat" message on their site and this "live chat' was responded to the next day, more than 24 hours later.Airbnb has a limited ability to do background checks on guests and hosts. And the hosts have less ability than airbnb to check their guests. A picture id and a credit card just aren't going to ensure your safety folks. And important here, ONLY the guest has been "approved" by airbnb. As a host (and neighboring airbnb guest) you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA OF WHO THE GUEST(s) IS SHARING THE APARTMENT WITH!!! (I know of no cameras that provide contact info of unregistered guests). Knowing what I know as a host, I would never, ever, ever book through airbnb especially if I had children. I am no longer going to book airbnb guests...it is just not safe for me or for the guests!!!

lanced49

No Responsibility!

We recently rented our apartment through Airbnb. Their idiot guest heated a French press on the stove to red hot then placed it on the kitchen counter burning a hole and causing $1000.00 in damage. Airbnb would not pay for the damages. I guess it's ok for their guests to damage your property. It's not their money!

cherisses1
5/3/19

I took a last minute reservation from a guest through Airbnb. They state that they check people out--Security Measures in place, what a joke!! The girl was 15 years old and came and had a party at my house with 40 of her 15 to 16 year old friends. Airbnb is difficult to get any money from you bogus security deposit that they claim you have online and refund you for the damage and excess cleaning. I'll stick with VRBO.

miamaried
5/3/19

I have never used a BnB before and wanted to try it for the first time to book a long term stay for significant reasons I have to travel. My first experience trying to book on Airbnb landed me back to conventional booking with a hotel chain. I wanted the experience I hear most people talk about, but just trying to book a trip already started out on the downside.

When asking inquiries regarding check-in procedure (since I'm accustom to the traditional hotel method, which is unique to the lock box most bnb prefer to use, or being greeted by the host at the door), I emailed a few owners to ask the earliest I can check in because my arrival to the area was in the morning. Typically, if I'm booking with a hotel, I would just pay for an extra day to avoid any issues once I get there. After asking a basic question, I felt like I was interrogated with an initial response of my reason for coming to the area, which is a personal matter, but I briefly explained anyway. After sharing the sensitive and personal nature of my visit, it then followed with another question. Another owner of a different proper stated the rental was no longer available, but it was clearly not true. The listing with personalized select dates was showing 100% availability and saved on my account. And finally, one property owner declined my inquiry to stay, and the reason was, "my dates are conflicting with two other potential renters." I'm thinking this service is either a joke or a fraud, or maybe I'm just uninformed how the services work!

In the end, I booked with a hotel. Easy breezy, wasn't bombarding with questions, didn't have to be selected between other travellers. I'm aware and understand someone is sharing their personal space, and there may be concern to who you invite into that space, but privacy shouldn't have to be compromised and no one should feel like they have to wait to be chosen like it's a giveaway or prize! It should be on the first come, first serve basis. Perhaps, background checks with registered accounts should be taken into consideration, so that everyone feels welcome, and at the same time owners have less worry and feel safe when renting to random friendly guest.

carolew60
5/2/19

My booking was cancelled because the host had someone who wanted to make a longer booking. Just like, holiday plans ruined, Airbnb did not care, refunded my money and told me they would penalise the host. So Airbnb made money by fining the host. What a rip off. STAY CLEAR OR ELSE YOU RISK HAVING YOUR HOLIDAY PLANS RUINED.

mayam47
5/2/19

I'm confused to these negative reviews I've had hundreds of experiences with Airbnb and never once had an issue. When something did arise and I needed to call Airbnb they handled it. My only assumption with these bad reviews are that there are millions of reservation booked each month so maybe this is the .00009% that had a bad experience in my eyes anyone who ever stays in a hotel is a sucker Airbnb is top notch when booking make sure your dealing with super host with great reviews. I've been to places I could only dream of years ago for a fraction of the cost of hotels. Airbnb has changed my life and all I ever think about is where am I going next.

paular124
5/1/19

You shop for a place to stay and prices comes up and after you make a inquiries to the host day after the price goes up. Crooks!!!

lw202
5/1/19

Yesterday night, I got 2 emails from Airbnb stated that I had made 2 reservations in New Zeland (I am in the Netherlands and I did not authorize any reservation at all), totaling close to 800 euros. Right after that, 2 more emails from Airbnb about the cancelation of the reservations without a possilibity for refund. And right after that, another email about my account being canceled.

I called the customer service tried to explain the situation. They kept asking for my account and stated that they could not find any information in their database at all and thus could not help me any further. The customer service guy said that even if the acccount was canceled, there should be information in their system, but since he was not able to pull up any information, he could not do anything about it. At that time, I suspected there was a hack and for some reason, everything related to my account was deleted. I mentioned to him that it is not my fault that all of my data suddenly was missing from your database and demanded to talk to either the IT department or someone in the office that deals with these kind of situations. He refused and stated that nothing can be done without an account (which was canceled and deleted without my authorization). This was after 40 min of me explaining the situation and he repeting the same "I CANNOT HELP YOU BECAUSE THERE IS NO ACCOUNT" sentence for 20 times.

Since my account was linked to paypal, I managed to complain to PayPal right away and filed an unauthorized transaction. They contacted me 5 hours later and confirmed that it was indeed an unauthorized transaction and I managed to get the refund (Can't really say the same if you used a credit card).

A few hours later, all of a sudden my account was back online, and Airbnb send me an email saying that their system detected unauthorized reservations and have taken relevant steps to make sure I am protected. Apperantly my account is still in your database, otherwise how can the account all of a sudden come back if you didnt have the information in your system. I am also pretty sure if I didnt make the call, sent multiple messages on facebook and twitter, they would have done nothing about it, basically telling me to pay it and shut up about it.

My conclusion is that I am never going to use Airbnb again. I looked up online and found out that a lot of people have had the same problem, some of these people didnt even get they money back, Airbnb did not even try to help these people and all they could do is to pay the money. It is clear that Airbnb treats their users like crap and all they care is the money. Their data security is none existent and if you care about your data, dont use Airbnb.

victoriab220
5/1/19

We are buying a house currently listed for rent on Air B n B. The house is supplied its water through a bore hole in the ground as its not near a mains water line. Long story short - a water inspection for our house purchase has found that the owner disconnected the water filter (filters any bacteria out of the water before it comes through the tap) several years ago and the last water report showed positive for faeces. This house has been rented our on Air B n B for several years with babies and children drinking from this water. I rang them to complain as i don't think it should be rented out between now and me getting the keys and they couldn't care less. I presume they ask that the boilers are checked why not the water. Totally irresponsible.

robins408
4/28/19

I have stayed in at least 12 Airbnb's over the years. Half of which were pretty bad. The latest one, smelled strongly of must and mildew. Airbnb is not willing to back me up even though I provided them with everything they asked for. The first representative I spoke to was little to no help. They do not pay attention to their cases when there is a problem. I will not use them again and recommend that unless you want to take a chance on your trip being ruined, don't stay with them. Many hosts don't care, only want money.

joshm399
4/27/19

Airbnb has the worst customer support I have ever experienced. After booking accommodation for a large group trip 5 months in advance, I realized the second half of the home charge did not come through 2 weeks before the trip. I decided to call to make sure that our reservation was indeed still confirmed at which point I was told that I had canceled it with no evidence whatsoever that this was the case and that I would not be getting my money back for the first charge. The Airbnb representative then tried to convince me to book another place with the same host instead of taking any culpability for canceling my reservation and refused to issue me a refund. After several more unanswered exchanges and hours of calls, another Airbnb representative again told me that I was the one who had canceled the reservation and even mistakenly sent me a message on the platform saying "adv that we can't cancel reso's so nicely I told him that had to have been him or a user on the acct." Finally, I got someone to actually do some digging and realized that Airbnb did, in fact, trigger the cancellation of my reservation. At this point, it took THREE additional weeks for them to back to me to say they were going to issue me a refund.

I had spent 15 hours on the phone with representatives telling me that I was wrong. I had had several emails go unanswered. I had to book a new house through VRBO at the last second. And literally, all Airbnb provided me was a refund on the money for the house that they had canceled on me 2 weeks before my trip. No apology. No additional compensation.

While I'm sure many people will continue to use the service - as I did before this experience - I would strongly discourage anyone from doing so and caution that at some point you will have to deal with Airbnb's customer service and it is worse than any airline you've ever encountered and will not end well.

katerinap8
4/23/19

Reserved apartment was extremely dirty and didn't respond to advertisement and reviews. Airbnb asked if i want to cancel reservation. I confirmed and they changed me with full amount. 2 days of international calls and asking for help - to return money, to give new apartment, at least to give me back this one as i have no more money. But they only treated me in rude manner and advised to ask host for money.

kellyw273
4/23/19

Airbnb works with their hosts to take their customers money without worrying about the safety and cleanliness if the product they are advertising. Even with documented photos and receipts, the company disregarded the customers safety, health, and contentment. Do not use AIrbnb...it is like throwing money away!

jamesg943
4/22/19

I am a single parent,and work very hard to provide for myself,and my kids. I made the worst choice choosing, Airbnb for,a place to stay for family vacation. My familie decided to take a vacation to Orlando FL. I, booked a house through Airbnb,and not one day later I, discovered another option for me,and my kids. I contacted Airbnb horrible customer service department,and attempted to receive a portion of my money back. Airbnb, instructed me to contact the individual I,was renting from. I, attempted to contact her forever,and when I finally did get in touch with her she said, I, needed to contact Airbnb and I, contacted their horrible customer service once again,and was interested AGAIN.!!!! to contact the person I, was renting the house from because,they said they were not responsible. I contacted the owner of the house once again,and she said,she couldn't give me any money back because,she had rented the house for the date my family had reserved the house for. I truly hope Airbnb and the professional scam artist who took all money are happy with their vacations because,my kids are crying,and completely heartbroken. Thanks Airbnb,and professional scam lady from Orlando FL for, making vacation 2019 a complete nightmare.

3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Being a host, I can say that when things are going good, all is great, but if something goes wrong, as a host, you will not get the support from Airbnb that is promised. They do not stand behind their hosts, I find they like to a facade that all is great in the land of Airbnb. I have cancelled my listing and will not deal with them anymore in the future.

By Rita V.

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S.

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

Airbnb?