Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

edies9
2/18/19

We have several homes that we manage and unfortunately, a couple of years ago, some of our property owners had heard of Air B&B and insisted that we try them. We now have lost half of our properties because Air B&B doesn't pay us and hence we cannot pay the property owners or our cleaning crews. The president of our company has had to get personal loans to cover the amounts that are due to be paid out to the property owners. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars. It has gotten to a point where every booking we receive through Air B&B has to be verified over the phone to make sure they have sent our money to the proper / working bank account. They are still holding a huge amount of money from 2 years ago.

If you are considering trying Air B&B, I recommend that you reconsider. VRBO/HomeAway is not any better either. These companies have gotten so big that they now control most of the Internet bookings and apparently are not capable of keeping themselves organized. If you are lucky enough to talk to someone that can actually communicate with you, you can expect rude service and even hang ups.

One thing I DO recommend is that even though both Air B&B and VRBO/HomeAway will not divulge the e-mail addresses or phone numbers of the renters until they are actually booked, once they have booked one of your houses, encourage them to book directly through YOU the next time they want to rent one of your houses. I send our clients a friendly e-mail once they check out and tell them how much they could have saved if they would have booked directly through us.

joea277
2/12/19

I'm reading a lot of reviews here from renters but need to add my own as a property owner. We own and/or manage 17 vacation rental properties in two countries and have been Air BnB hosts for over 10 years with 95% 5-star ratings. Every now and then, we get a weird bad review-usually due to a gap between what we offer and the expectations of the guest. Recently, we got a 4-star review from someone whose issues included no water in the ice cube tray, exposed television cables on the wall, no door on the closet and not understanding that Air BnB properties don't include breakfast (it was her first time using the platform). As a result, Air BnB suspended the listing for a week because it fell below their arbitrary 5-star requirements, with no option for disputing the review and no one to talk to at customer service. Their attitude is "we let the reviews speak for themselves", even when the review is clearly unreasonable. I can live with a bad review-I can't accept the arbitrary suspension as "punishment". 10 years ago I used to tell everyone how great customer service was at AirBnB, and it was. Something went wrong somewhere along the way and they have become arbitrary, unresponsive and arrogant. There are better choices out there including VRBO/HomeAway and Trip Advisor/Flipkey We've developed our own booking site and related marketing tools and last year, it came close to beating Air BnB in total booking revenue for our properties. So we're winding down our participation on the Air BnB platform this year. They don't seem to understand that property owners are their lifeblood and responsible for 100% of their income. I would have written them to tell them of our decision directly but they don't seem to want or care about this feedback.

chrism910
2/12/19

One of the worst travel platforms to work with... they provide zero support for hosts despite years of loyal working relationship, they will turn on you with no real justification. Not worth the anxiety for a big Disappointment at the end. Their customer support also sucks they provide only useless textbook answers with no real solution at the end!!! They are an utter disappointment to work with whether a host or a traveler!

heathers421
2/11/19

I booked a home that when I arrived was in a seedy neighborhood with people drinking and hanging out on the corner. I didn't even enter the home. The owner did not answer and the people at Airbnb kept giving me excuses about a refund as I didn't feel safe. The house didn't even look like the picture posted. The bars on the windows of houses next door and the drug deals going on state not a good place to stay but the ad said nice neighborhood. Huh. Not sure if I will ever use this site again and this ruins it for the good hosts

kristenm120
2/11/19

Not sure about all these negative feedbacks, but I had an awesome experience with this company. Great deals, brilliant service - everything was pretty cool.

johannac31
2/10/19

Aweful user experience in website!!! Lots of glitches impacted negatively our experience while we naviguate on your website, so annoying !!
- Map (search functionality )
- Mobile app : "verify your identity",but never received an email, button stay loading
) ....

mikej365
2/6/19

I work for a trade show company in Southern California and we make frequent trips out to Las Vegas for various trade shows. There was a house that I saw that was available by a host named Andreas (From Los Angeles) that I wanted to book for my boss, myself, and my employees. So while I have this reserved, there were some things I had to change about the profile since it was a company profile under a former employee's name. While doing so our reservation was canceled and we were only offered a partial refund. I contacted the host about refunding the rest and he offered me a bogus special that was for $199 per night. Well, the original price was for about $150 per night. He also told me that he contacted Airbnb and they informed him that it was an error that caused the cancellation. So he was of no help to me. I then proceeded to call Airbnb in which the first operator that I spoke to hung up in my face. Then the second individual tried to put the blame on me before it was handled by her manager who is named Diana. Diana contacted Andreas about offering a refund and he refused. Then she turned around and told me that it was me that canceled, and a full refund would not be provided. So Andreas gets a free $500 on top of the new guest who reserved his house. Good job with supporting scammers Airbnb. I will be reporting you to the Better Business Bureau.

johnn489
1/27/19

Recently booked a stay at a Bronxville, NY house...wound up in the owners basement apartment which was dirty and not what was advertised. Airbnb said they got me back $150 of the $500 I spent even though I got scammed and had the documents to prove it. It was a clear case of bait & switch. They did nothing and the scammer is still listing the rental. I would never use them again. Their customer service stiinks.

pamelae61
1/24/19

I made a reservation for a rental home for 2 months in Albuquerque, NM. As time went on something unexpected came up that interfered with out keeping that reservation. I called Airbnb months ago to cancel. They told me It was cancelled. Yesterday I found out IT WAS NOT!!!! Out the Money.

karenr478
1/22/19

We will never use this dishonest, greedy, immoral company again. Airbnb rented us an illicit rental apartment in an Atlanta apartment complex. As we found out once we were there, the complex does not allow Airbnb rentals. The host gave us and dozens of other Airbnb renters the security code to the front gate of the private complex and access to all the complex facilities. We were kicked out of the apartment. I notified Airbnb that the host is not allowed to rent out her apartment in this complex and that I want a refund. Airbnb refused to refund ANY of our payment. I gave the the number for the main office in the complex. Not only did Airbnb not bother calling the complex, they continued allowing the host to rent the apartment, knowing full-well that the rental is illicit.
Their customer service is worse than the DMV. The worst I've ever dealt with. It took me hours to reach a person who could speak English and understand the problem. But they didn't care. They said it's not their problem or their responsibility to make sure the Airbnb rental property is legitimate and legal!

sc187
1/19/19

We will never use Airbnb again. Airbnb pretty much the worst company I have ever seen. The worst customer service experienced anywhere.

They have so many issues with their business! Things almost always go wrong when you use Airbnb, and they provide the worst customer service. An Indian 'follow the script' 'I can't do anything for you' --- customer service person is all you got. And they have no employee ID, no name that you can hold them responsible for, and they obviously don't care about the company's reputation or care to provide good customer service. Care even less trying to understand your situation, and help you solve any problems. So as a host, or renter, you have issue, you can expect to left to pay for it.

As a business owner myself, I really don't like to see other business go bad.
But Airbnb is one of the only company I wish will go out of business, and someone else come into the space with a better run company.

davidm783
1/17/19
• Updated review

Did not stay at dirty home in France. Took many pictures to document our issues.
This caused us multiple problems.

B&B would only refund a partial amount, which did not still well. We should not have to pay ANYTING! Finally, AmEx refunded the full amount.

Also, at 8pm , in a strange city, we had to find a hotel... which turned out to be another
disaster. Will NEVER AirB&B again!!!

“AirBnB has arbitrary policy of refunds....”
11/20/17
• Previous review

Our room in Arles, France was NOTHING like the picture portrayed in the home.
I won't go into to disappointing details .. , but we would not stay there, and we don't mind staying at a Super8 or Econlodge either.
Called AirBnB and told them of our situation. The asked up to take pictures to help document our claim. we took several pictures of the dirty bathroom, fridge etc

After two weeks, it was "DETERMINED" (how , I know not ) that we could receive a $100.00 credit. And as a bonus, we weren't charged for the cleaning fee, since we did not spend the night(s).

If you have an issue with your host or home, AirBnB will side with the landlord every time! They would rather lose your business than one of their 'clients' .

Forewarned. David Miller

Star 4
Star 5
Just now
DONT USE AIRBNB
The property was not even close to as described. We were welcomed by another "guest" living in the house while drinking and sitting on our bed. Check in process was not as described and we had dirty linens. We didnt stay 20minutes and decided to cancel the reservation and the host was kind enough to agree to refund us but unfortunately Airbnb decided to take it upon theirselves to refund only 80dollars from the 600+ they owed us. We continuiously try to call their customer service, which IS THE WORSE, and unfortunately ever day they keep changing our case manager and no one follows up!! For the sake of your sanity and money, DO NOT USE AIRBNB. Pay the extra to stay in a hotel and be guaranteed a better service. Unfortunately Airbnb never follows up with the hosts to verify the apartment, condos and houses are as described in their posts!

danil23
1/15/19

BUYER BEWARE!!!!! Airbnb is GREAT... until it's NOT. I was an avid Airbnb patron for many years - hosting and staying. But then I had my first problem... an owner who lied about their place and was unresponsive once I arrived. I had paid $780 for a monthly rental - I stayed overnight with no internet, stove and a malfunctioning heater (it was freezing in Malta). The owner refused to give a refund so the great Airbnb staff got involved and got me a whopping $500 refund! So I paid $250 for a fraudulent one night stay! HORRIBLE! Will never ever use them again - because when will that next problem occur???

mannym6
1/7/19

I've been hosting using AirBNB the last couple months and find the app and company policies to be quite unfair for us hosts. For example, anytime someone has an inquiry/question you as a host must pre-approve them staying with you in order to avoid penalties. I have had several guests ask to park at my place for up to 3 weeks while they travel & only book 1 night at my place. Because I don't have parking available beyond the nights a guest stays at my place, I don't pre-approve' these types of questions, however I always respond in a timely manner. Because I don't automatically pre-approve these requests, I get punished by my approval percentage' rate dropping and therefore my listing is dropped to the bottom part of all searches in my area, even though my price & location may be more suitable for guests. I also couldn't approve someone who wanted to check-in at 7am because I had a guest in the room & checkout is at noon for my place. Because I didn't approve the person who wanted to check-in at 7am I again got penalized for not approving the 7am check-in. Their customer service is also not good, lengthy wait times to speak with someone and untimely responses to online questions. It's truly an unfair system for hosts & I will no longer be using AirBNB.

kevint358
1/2/19

Beware of this site they are thief and customer service is useless dont waste your money in here there are lots of decent sites like flip a key or expedia....so dont be fool and waste your money in here get a better deal somewhere else this site is scam
SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB

hectorr67
1/2/19

My tale begins with a failed attempt to rent a cabin in Eureka Springs through Airbnb. In the middle of going through a divorce my wife filed false harassment charges against me without my knowledge and Airbnb cancelled my reservation and refunded my money due to the charges against me. "Ok" I thought "understandable" as I figured they didn't look specifically into my legal case to find the falsities. Well the deactivated my account. Enough time has passed, my case was dismissed due to the judge seeing through my wife's lies and I thinking I'm going to try using Airbnb for another stay in eureka and my upcoming trip to Lake Tahoe. WRONG. Even though I started a new account it was immediately flagged and deactivated. Customer service was NO help at "Zoey" spent no time looking into the matter and immediately responded with saying they had no obligation to offer explanation and had barred me from any further use of their platform. Ok. I get on Homeaway's site and I booked both my trips with confirmation in less than 15 minutes. Congratulations Airbnb. You lost a customer and added a nice blemish to your already poor reputation. HOMEAWAY for ALL your vacation rental needs! Lol

miked553
12/30/18

If you are looking for renting a property through this booking site please read carefully and be aware.

Hidden fees
The prices listed seem to be lower compared to some hotels, but that is misleading. Once you get to the check out you all of sudden notice that
1. They charge you booking fee for every day you book - that seems to be % of your booking so it can add up to $80-$100 extra
2. Many hosts will charge you cleaning fee $30-$35
3. Many hosts will want you to also pay for electricity and water
4. Add to that that you get no daily service
5. No free breakfast
6. No airport shuttle
7. no 24 hrs front desk service since the host lives usually quite far or in different country

All added up you pay a lot me for the booking than in the hotel

Process of booking through airbnb
This is the worst part. Their computer system is completely corrupted. It has so many glitches that both the customers and hosts have their share of adrenaline floating. For one, you have to wait for the host to approve you. You can send a request for booking with conformation after making your payement, but 24 hrs later you may get automated message that your reservation was cancelled because you did not verify your account. You go again and repeat the process with the verification only to receive another cancellation next day stating you did not upload your picture.
The host can send you a direct booking link, but if you don't respond in 24 hrs , not 48 as the system tells you, you get a message that the host withdrew your booking and the property is no longer available. If you contact the host he/she will tell you they never sent such a message and that they got message that you cancelled the reservation. So it is absolutely ridiculous.

Making changes/cancellations
Most places allow you to make changes with 48hrs. So you go in change your dates and send a message to the host requesting the change. However be aware that the system will not log in your change of date. It will only send the message. If your host does not respond in next 24 hrs, the airbnb rep will tell you that you passed your 48hr cancellation window and you are loosing your deposit.

Take my advise and book through more reputable sites such as hotels.com, booking.com, agoda, or what ever else, but stay away from this site to save yourself the headache. I am sharing this with you as an expensive lesson I have learned. Do not make the same mistake I made.

arianem2
12/27/18

We used Airbnb for years without issues in various countries of the Western world and Vancouver. But now that we're back in Quebec, we are treated to our own people's complete disregard for basic courtesy, it seems. The first place we rented was dirty and smelly. In addition, we were imposed a flatmate for a couple of nights when we had rented the whole apartment for a month! Thankfully, this was a clear breach of contract and we were refunded, otherwise we would have had to endure the stench and dirt. Then we rented an awesome and spotless house twice. The third time, though, the host canceled on us with a three-day notice! We couldn't believe it. And now we just rented what would have been a great house for the Christmas holiday, except it was a smoker's house! There were lots of ashtrays and the air was toxic because the fireplace was on and the ventilation system didn't work properly. With babies, we had to leave. In addition, the place was dirty and we were absolutely grossed out by the inside of the microwave and the kitchen, in particular. When we wrote to the host just mentioning the cigarette smell, he merely insulted us in capital letters and ordered us to get out of his house immediately without a refund! We checked the reviews again, they're all very positive. Either people have seriously low standards, or Airbnb, as other commenters here have suggested, edits reviews and systematically deletes negative ones. Now our holiday is ruined. My husband spent 6 hours on the phone with representatives trying to get a resolution, thus ruining his family reunion dinner. There was also an issue with his account being blocked and him being unable to read correspondence. We are still waiting to see what will happen to the rest of our holiday. Thankfully we have relatives around who could host the 7 of us in the meantime.
So people, here is my advice: don't rent in the province of Quebec!

En français pour mes confrères francophones : nous n'avons eu que de bonnes expériences à l'étranger et dans le reste du Canada. Malheureusement, les hôtes Québécois ne savent pas s'occuper de ce genre de "business" (et je dis ça en tant que Québécois ) : nous en sommes à la deuxième maison crottée (dont une maison de fumeur avec un foyer à la ventilation défectueuse qui a rendu l'air encore plus nocif !! En plus, c'était le proprio qui avait parti le feu en nous disant de ne pas utiliser le ventilateur !), à un coloc imposé alors qu'on avait loué un appartement entier, et à une annulation avec 3 jours d'avis. Nous avons dû quitter les lieux à chaque fois et passer des heures à tenter d'obtenir un remboursement auprès de divers agents.
Louez des chalets auprès de professionnels de l'hôtellerie, les standards sont trop bas au Québec. Nous sommes vraiment déçus de devoir le reconnaître.

Tip for consumers: Don’t use in the province of Quebec.

mustafas24
12/27/18

The experience overall was good as a host, But i do have an issue with not being informed/alerted that i had to provide an identity to withdraw the money! It's basically hidden info on the site while it should be very clear to me before i proceed to have a guest in my house, It's been a few months and the guest is gone and i still can't receive my money(That i started the whole thing because i was in need of it at that time), I can't do that because i don't own a passport and that's the only option they gave me to prove my identity so they made it even harder for me!
That's an issue or that's what i think is an issue.

seanm405
12/26/18

An Airbnb host cancels unexpected two days prior to the check-in date for a family New Year's celebration. When "working" for over four hours with the Airbnb Customer Service, all of whom are shocked that the limited comps are so expensive so close to a major holiday. Airbnb provided poor alternatives for a family trip, stating that other options were too expensive. Their solution was to receive a partial reimbursement after the fact. Not to mention this was after four LONG phone calls and four hours of nothingness. I expected more. My fault for assuming anything good from Airbnb.

jerryb257
12/26/18

Horrible experience with Airbnb. We've had about 5 instances with airbnb where the guests brought extra guests to the place. They book for 1 or 2 guests, then there's 3, 5, 8 guests coming in. We have video footage, took screenshots of these and we filed a claim with airbnb. Airbnb denied all claims saying that all these video footage is not enough evidence that the guests had extra guests!! Our listing clearly states that no extra guests are allowed, they will be charged fees for these and Airbnb just denied it! If that wasn't proof there were extra guests, I don't know what proof they think is valid!! Aibnb contact me about this icpm3245@gmail.com

dennisn57
12/25/18

This was the first time using Airbnb. Our room was advertised as $70 per night. After all fees we were charged over $120 per night.

matthews462
12/22/18

When we arrived at our cabin, we found dirty, unchanged bed-linens (one bed had body hair in it, the other had rice from someone's Chinese take-out in it). The coffee pot had dried coffee stains on it and the toaster was full of crumbs. We were so disgusted we canceled our booking, left after 20 minutes, and went to a more expensive hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't think about taking any photos. The host refused to refund us ANY money. Contacted Airbnb and was told any documentation needs to sent within 24 hours - HELLO??? We're travelling!!! How is that practical?

I posted a negative review of the cabin on Airbnb and was notified it wouldn't be posted until the host reviewed it and commented on it. How is that honest? All a host has to do is not review or comment on any negative review to avoid having it posted. My advice to anyone looking at Airbnb is to RUN! We will NEVER use Airbnb again.

michaela674
12/19/18

I've used Airbnb many times and never once had a problem until now. BE AWARE of anything in the Host descriptions stating that "additional information may be required" means that Airbnb has allowed this Host to ask for private information to check for a criminal background, sex offenders and other private information that Airbnb has allowed the Host to profile, discriminate and DENY your stay in that Host property. Airbnb will not support the customer (renter) and refuses to refund the complete amount of money because apparently it is the customers (renter) responsibility to inquire what this "additional information" is before making a reservation. Airbnb is making a huge profit on our (the public) renting properties through them and do not stand behind us. Not sure how this makes you feel but to me this is completely wrong and should be illegal. I never once have had this happen in a hotel, resort, casino. No where in the US is this alright but for some reason Airbnb has allowed these policies to be ok for the Host to discriminate it's people. With all the equal rights we have in this country, a huge company like Airbnb is allowing a Host to discriminate. PLEASE BE AWARE of this. I have tons of correspondence between me and Airbnb, the Host managers company for proof. Like I said I have used Airbnb many, many times in the last 4 years and never ran into this until now. I'm sure they will reply with something on the lines of. Oh we are so sorry and it is the responsibility of us (the renters) to ask what "additional information" is before reserving a room and basically that it's not Airbnb responsibility to make sure that its users (renter) are protected and safe. I hope that someone out there reads this and has the money and time to slap them with a law suit. Discrimination and profiling of the public is not ok.

3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Being a host, I can say that when things are going good, all is great, but if something goes wrong, as a host, you will not get the support from Airbnb that is promised. They do not stand behind their hosts, I find they like to a facade that all is great in the land of Airbnb. I have cancelled my listing and will not deal with them anymore in the future.

By Rita V.

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S.

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

Airbnb?