Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

sc187
1/19/19

We will never use Airbnb again. Airbnb pretty much the worst company I have ever seen. The worst customer service experienced anywhere.

They have so many issues with their business! Things almost always go wrong when you use Airbnb, and they provide the worst customer service. An Indian 'follow the script' 'I can't do anything for you' --- customer service person is all you got. And they have no employee ID, no name that you can hold them responsible for, and they obviously don't care about the company's reputation or care to provide good customer service. Care even less trying to understand your situation, and help you solve any problems. So as a host, or renter, you have issue, you can expect to left to pay for it.

As a business owner myself, I really don't like to see other business go bad.
But Airbnb is one of the only company I wish will go out of business, and someone else come into the space with a better run company.

davidm783
1/17/19
• Updated review

Did not stay at dirty home in France. Took many picrues to document our issues.
This caused us multiple problems.

B$B would only refund a partial amount, which did not still well. We should not have to pary ANYTING! Finally, AmEx refunded the full amount.

Also, at 8pm , in a strange city, we had to find a hotel... which turned out to be another disaster. Will NEVER AirBB again!!!

“AirBnB has arbitrary policy of refunds....”
11/20/17
• Previous review

Our room in Arles, France was NOTHING like the picture portrayed in the home.
I won't go into to disappointing details .. , but we would not stay there, and we don't mind staying at a Super8 or Econlodge either.
Called AirBnB and told them of our situation. The asked up to take pictures to help document our claim. we took several pictures of the dirty bathroom, fridge etc

After two weeks, it was "DETERMINED" (how , I know not ) that we could receive a $100.00 credit. And as a bonus, we weren't charged for the cleaning fee, since we did not spend the night(s).

If you have an issue with your host or home, AirBnB will side with the landlord every time! They would rather lose your business than one of their 'clients' .

Forewarned. David Miller

Star 4
Star 5
Just now
DONT USE AIRBNB
The property was not even close to as described. We were welcomed by another "guest" living in the house while drinking and sitting on our bed. Check in process was not as described and we had dirty linens. We didnt stay 20minutes and decided to cancel the reservation and the host was kind enough to agree to refund us but unfortunately Airbnb decided to take it upon theirselves to refund only 80dollars from the 600+ they owed us. We continuiously try to call their customer service, which IS THE WORSE, and unfortunately ever day they keep changing our case manager and no one follows up!! For the sake of your sanity and money, DO NOT USE AIRBNB. Pay the extra to stay in a hotel and be guaranteed a better service. Unfortunately Airbnb never follows up with the hosts to verify the apartment, condos and houses are as described in their posts!

danil23
1/15/19

BUYER BEWARE!!!!! Airbnb is GREAT... until it's NOT. I was an avid Airbnb patron for many years - hosting and staying. But then I had my first problem... an owner who lied about their place and was unresponsive once I arrived. I had paid $780 for a monthly rental - I stayed overnight with no internet, stove and a malfunctioning heater (it was freezing in Malta). The owner refused to give a refund so the great Airbnb staff got involved and got me a whopping $500 refund! So I paid $250 for a fraudulent one night stay! HORRIBLE! Will never ever use them again - because when will that next problem occur???

codys80
1/12/19

Use this referall link and join air b n b to get the bonus .
Sounds good to me !

mannym6
1/7/19

I've been hosting using AirBNB the last couple months and find the app and company policies to be quite unfair for us hosts. For example, anytime someone has an inquiry/question you as a host must pre-approve them staying with you in order to avoid penalties. I have had several guests ask to park at my place for up to 3 weeks while they travel & only book 1 night at my place. Because I don't have parking available beyond the nights a guest stays at my place, I don't pre-approve' these types of questions, however I always respond in a timely manner. Because I don't automatically pre-approve these requests, I get punished by my approval percentage' rate dropping and therefore my listing is dropped to the bottom part of all searches in my area, even though my price & location may be more suitable for guests. I also couldn't approve someone who wanted to check-in at 7am because I had a guest in the room & checkout is at noon for my place. Because I didn't approve the person who wanted to check-in at 7am I again got penalized for not approving the 7am check-in. Their customer service is also not good, lengthy wait times to speak with someone and untimely responses to online questions. It's truly an unfair system for hosts & I will no longer be using AirBNB.

kevint358
1/2/19

Beware of this site they are thief and customer service is useless dont waste your money in here there are lots of decent sites like flip a key or expedia....so dont be fool and waste your money in here get a better deal somewhere else this site is scam
SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB

hectorr67
1/2/19

My tale begins with a failed attempt to rent a cabin in Eureka Springs through Airbnb. In the middle of going through a divorce my wife filed false harassment charges against me without my knowledge and Airbnb cancelled my reservation and refunded my money due to the charges against me. "Ok" I thought "understandable" as I figured they didn't look specifically into my legal case to find the falsities. Well the deactivated my account. Enough time has passed, my case was dismissed due to the judge seeing through my wife's lies and I thinking I'm going to try using Airbnb for another stay in eureka and my upcoming trip to Lake Tahoe. WRONG. Even though I started a new account it was immediately flagged and deactivated. Customer service was NO help at "Zoey" spent no time looking into the matter and immediately responded with saying they had no obligation to offer explanation and had barred me from any further use of their platform. Ok. I get on Homeaway's site and I booked both my trips with confirmation in less than 15 minutes. Congratulations Airbnb. You lost a customer and added a nice blemish to your already poor reputation. HOMEAWAY for ALL your vacation rental needs! Lol

miked553
12/30/18

If you are looking for renting a property through this booking site please read carefully and be aware.

Hidden fees
The prices listed seem to be lower compared to some hotels, but that is misleading. Once you get to the check out you all of sudden notice that
1. They charge you booking fee for every day you book - that seems to be % of your booking so it can add up to $80-$100 extra
2. Many hosts will charge you cleaning fee $30-$35
3. Many hosts will want you to also pay for electricity and water
4. Add to that that you get no daily service
5. No free breakfast
6. No airport shuttle
7. no 24 hrs front desk service since the host lives usually quite far or in different country

All added up you pay a lot me for the booking than in the hotel

Process of booking through airbnb
This is the worst part. Their computer system is completely corrupted. It has so many glitches that both the customers and hosts have their share of adrenaline floating. For one, you have to wait for the host to approve you. You can send a request for booking with conformation after making your payement, but 24 hrs later you may get automated message that your reservation was cancelled because you did not verify your account. You go again and repeat the process with the verification only to receive another cancellation next day stating you did not upload your picture.
The host can send you a direct booking link, but if you don't respond in 24 hrs , not 48 as the system tells you, you get a message that the host withdrew your booking and the property is no longer available. If you contact the host he/she will tell you they never sent such a message and that they got message that you cancelled the reservation. So it is absolutely ridiculous.

Making changes/cancellations
Most places allow you to make changes with 48hrs. So you go in change your dates and send a message to the host requesting the change. However be aware that the system will not log in your change of date. It will only send the message. If your host does not respond in next 24 hrs, the airbnb rep will tell you that you passed your 48hr cancellation window and you are loosing your deposit.

Take my advise and book through more reputable sites such as hotels.com, booking.com, agoda, or what ever else, but stay away from this site to save yourself the headache. I am sharing this with you as an expensive lesson I have learned. Do not make the same mistake I made.

arianem2
12/27/18

We used Airbnb for years without issues in various countries of the Western world and Vancouver. But now that we're back in Quebec, we are treated to our own people's complete disregard for basic courtesy, it seems. The first place we rented was dirty and smelly. In addition, we were imposed a flatmate for a couple of nights when we had rented the whole apartment for a month! Thankfully, this was a clear breach of contract and we were refunded, otherwise we would have had to endure the stench and dirt. Then we rented an awesome and spotless house twice. The third time, though, the host canceled on us with a three-day notice! We couldn't believe it. And now we just rented what would have been a great house for the Christmas holiday, except it was a smoker's house! There were lots of ashtrays and the air was toxic because the fireplace was on and the ventilation system didn't work properly. With babies, we had to leave. In addition, the place was dirty and we were absolutely grossed out by the inside of the microwave and the kitchen, in particular. When we wrote to the host just mentioning the cigarette smell, he merely insulted us in capital letters and ordered us to get out of his house immediately without a refund! We checked the reviews again, they're all very positive. Either people have seriously low standards, or Airbnb, as other commenters here have suggested, edits reviews and systematically deletes negative ones. Now our holiday is ruined. My husband spent 6 hours on the phone with representatives trying to get a resolution, thus ruining his family reunion dinner. There was also an issue with his account being blocked and him being unable to read correspondence. We are still waiting to see what will happen to the rest of our holiday. Thankfully we have relatives around who could host the 7 of us in the meantime.
So people, here is my advice: don't rent in the province of Quebec!

En français pour mes confrères francophones : nous n'avons eu que de bonnes expériences à l'étranger et dans le reste du Canada. Malheureusement, les hôtes Québécois ne savent pas s'occuper de ce genre de "business" (et je dis ça en tant que Québécois ) : nous en sommes à la deuxième maison crottée (dont une maison de fumeur avec un foyer à la ventilation défectueuse qui a rendu l'air encore plus nocif !! En plus, c'était le proprio qui avait parti le feu en nous disant de ne pas utiliser le ventilateur !), à un coloc imposé alors qu'on avait loué un appartement entier, et à une annulation avec 3 jours d'avis. Nous avons dû quitter les lieux à chaque fois et passer des heures à tenter d'obtenir un remboursement auprès de divers agents.
Louez des chalets auprès de professionnels de l'hôtellerie, les standards sont trop bas au Québec. Nous sommes vraiment déçus de devoir le reconnaître.

Tip for consumers: Don’t use in the province of Quebec.

mustafas24
12/27/18

The experience overall was good as a host, But i do have an issue with not being informed/alerted that i had to provide an identity to withdraw the money! It's basically hidden info on the site while it should be very clear to me before i proceed to have a guest in my house, It's been a few months and the guest is gone and i still can't receive my money(That i started the whole thing because i was in need of it at that time), I can't do that because i don't own a passport and that's the only option they gave me to prove my identity so they made it even harder for me!
That's an issue or that's what i think is an issue.

seanm405
12/26/18

An Airbnb host cancels unexpected two days prior to the check-in date for a family New Year's celebration. When "working" for over four hours with the Airbnb Customer Service, all of whom are shocked that the limited comps are so expensive so close to a major holiday. Airbnb provided poor alternatives for a family trip, stating that other options were too expensive. Their solution was to receive a partial reimbursement after the fact. Not to mention this was after four LONG phone calls and four hours of nothingness. I expected more. My fault for assuming anything good from Airbnb.

jerryb257
12/26/18

Horrible experience with Airbnb. We've had about 5 instances with airbnb where the guests brought extra guests to the place. They book for 1 or 2 guests, then there's 3, 5, 8 guests coming in. We have video footage, took screenshots of these and we filed a claim with airbnb. Airbnb denied all claims saying that all these video footage is not enough evidence that the guests had extra guests!! Our listing clearly states that no extra guests are allowed, they will be charged fees for these and Airbnb just denied it! If that wasn't proof there were extra guests, I don't know what proof they think is valid!! Aibnb contact me about this icpm3245@gmail.com

dennisn57
12/25/18

This was the first time using Airbnb. Our room was advertised as $70 per night. After all fees we were charged over $120 per night.

matthews462
12/22/18

When we arrived at our cabin, we found dirty, unchanged bed-linens (one bed had body hair in it, the other had rice from someone's Chinese take-out in it). The coffee pot had dried coffee stains on it and the toaster was full of crumbs. We were so disgusted we canceled our booking, left after 20 minutes, and went to a more expensive hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't think about taking any photos. The host refused to refund us ANY money. Contacted Airbnb and was told any documentation needs to sent within 24 hours - HELLO??? We're travelling!!! How is that practical?

I posted a negative review of the cabin on Airbnb and was notified it wouldn't be posted until the host reviewed it and commented on it. How is that honest? All a host has to do is not review or comment on any negative review to avoid having it posted. My advice to anyone looking at Airbnb is to RUN! We will NEVER use Airbnb again.

michaela674
12/19/18

I've used Airbnb many times and never once had a problem until now. BE AWARE of anything in the Host descriptions stating that "additional information may be required" means that Airbnb has allowed this Host to ask for private information to check for a criminal background, sex offenders and other private information that Airbnb has allowed the Host to profile, discriminate and DENY your stay in that Host property. Airbnb will not support the customer (renter) and refuses to refund the complete amount of money because apparently it is the customers (renter) responsibility to inquire what this "additional information" is before making a reservation. Airbnb is making a huge profit on our (the public) renting properties through them and do not stand behind us. Not sure how this makes you feel but to me this is completely wrong and should be illegal. I never once have had this happen in a hotel, resort, casino. No where in the US is this alright but for some reason Airbnb has allowed these policies to be ok for the Host to discriminate it's people. With all the equal rights we have in this country, a huge company like Airbnb is allowing a Host to discriminate. PLEASE BE AWARE of this. I have tons of correspondence between me and Airbnb, the Host managers company for proof. Like I said I have used Airbnb many, many times in the last 4 years and never ran into this until now. I'm sure they will reply with something on the lines of. Oh we are so sorry and it is the responsibility of us (the renters) to ask what "additional information" is before reserving a room and basically that it's not Airbnb responsibility to make sure that its users (renter) are protected and safe. I hope that someone out there reads this and has the money and time to slap them with a law suit. Discrimination and profiling of the public is not ok.

nikkio12
12/17/18

I posted a recent complaint about Airbnb on their facebook page, not only did they remove it. They sent me a personal message acting like they had good intentions, only to lead me to a dead end like all of their other representatives. My bank will reimburse the funds I recently wasted on an airbnb trip, but my advice to future airbnb users, please read their terms and conditions. If there are any issues with the property you're staying at, document it in videos and photos, because airbnb will not reimburse you in anyway. Their customer service is completely despicable, don't waste your time with them. Contact a lawyer and seek advice before proceeding.

tonyk27
12/8/18

Avoid Airbnb at ALL costs!!
As a travel agency we have heard nothing but negative experiences from this place over the past 2 years which have just gotten even worse.

Absolutely unprofessional company first of all. Had to contact them re issues on numerous occasions and if it didn't take weeks to hear (a poor) response I never got a reply at all.

Secondly, if a company (Airbnb) has to PAY people and agencies to leave positive reviews on their behalf, it says very little for the reputation of that company (Airbnb).

Lastly, there has always been a safety and trust issue with these listings on their site. Majority of them have turned out to be scams and hence why so many people end up with cancelled reservations. As recent as last week a female traveller staying at an Airbnb in Costa Rica was unfortunately killed at the same apartment.

If you're going to travel and the quality / safety of your family depends on it; book with one of the more reputable sites... VRBO/ HomeAway.

Update:
We've also had numerous complaints with regard to racism on this site as some members a) either choose not to reply to some individuals based on their ethnicity or religious background.
Their GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) are also not valid as two clients have their personal information being withheld due to Airbnb refusing them access to the site to properly delete and close their account. This a breach of a major EU & International LAW!!

halleym
12/6/18

Lively and efficient customer service even in the early hours of the night. When we arrived at our apartment at 2AM without a key under the mat as promised, we placed a call to Airbnb. After confirming who we were, they were able to provide us with the host's phone number so that we could call and try to get the issue resolved. We had to stay in our rental car for a few hours, but with Airbnb's consist effort, we were able to get ahold of the host. Airbnb noted the case and followed up with us throughout the issue. The even followed up and apologized the next day. Great customer service!

linl40
12/1/18

Try to rent some places for staying... check out though Airb&b.... always get nice places to stay... love it

maryt397
12/1/18

Worst experience with host Michael. Location was dirty and disorganized. Host was not willing to clean as requested. Location was unlivable and had to leave but they still charged for full reservation. No refund Was given when we requested since we did not stay. They are not in the business of providing housing they are in the business of robbing you! I tried reviewing in yelp but somehow they where able to pull it off! I wish I knew of this site before I booked with them!

sarahs692
11/30/18

I rented a place through Airbnb and right before the trip I saw a couple new reviews stating that people had issues with cockroaches. I contacted Airbnb and they told me they were false reviews and I had nothing to worry about. They assured me that if I saw any when I checked in that they would move us.
We checked in and we started seeing them everywhere!!! I contacted them and no only did they not move us but they only refunded $120 of the $950 we paid! We had to spend the trip in a cockroach infested place. I called, asked to speak to a manager and they did not care. They closed the case and told me it was my choice to stay there. I have used Airbnb for years and I cannot believe how they treated this situation.

brookec64
11/27/18

The place I rented did not have the amenities it promised (heated pool) and was dirty. Also the host showed up in our backyard in the dark with a flashlight unannounced during our stay and it made us feel extremely unsafe. So, there is the component of having a host that is dodgy. But the component that compelled me to write this review is the way airbnb handled my concern. They sided with the host based on his rating overall rather than my individual experience. My experience was uniquely bad but because his reviews were ok from other guests my concern were not addressed and was minimized. There is not direct number to contact airbnb and so all complaints are logged in an e-mail process. They called me back and that's when I got their number. By the way, it's 855-424-7262 if anyone is looking to call them directly.

cathyl115
11/26/18

AirBnB takes a completely one-sided approach to the rental process...ie the renter is always right and the owner is always wrong. What does that mean to you as an owner or manager listing your property on AirBnB? It means that guests who make exaggerated complaints, unreasonable complaints, or even outright false complaints are unquestioningly handed refunds with no recourse or appeal. Doesn't matter if you can document the false or exaggerated nature of the complaint, AirBnB doesn't care about owners. Savvy travelers know this and take advantage of it. Owners are better off putting their time and energy into advertising elsewhere.

rolliem21
11/26/18

You are taking a chance and I have no pity for those that even use Airbnb. You are risking the possibility of being kicked out because of zoning violations. Be advised most are not legal in the municipality and are reported by neighbors that are tired of short term rentals. Is going cheap worth the risk? Safety, Fire, etc.

3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Being a host, I can say that when things are going good, all is great, but if something goes wrong, as a host, you will not get the support from Airbnb that is promised. They do not stand behind their hosts, I find they like to a facade that all is great in the land of Airbnb. I have cancelled my listing and will not deal with them anymore in the future.

By Rita V.

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S.

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

Airbnb?