Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

steveb329
1/18/18

I would seriously recommend no one doing business with Airbnb!
Make sure you read ALL of their policies, especially when it comes to cancellations! I just had a group that was supposed to stay at our cabin during one of our busiest Holiday weekends of the year and they cancelled a few hours before they were supposed to arrive. They blamed this on the cancelled flight of a couple of their guests. The rest could still make it! They classify this as an "extenuating circumstance" and you are therefore left high and dry with absolutely NO disbursement of your deposit or any way to recoup any of the rental amount at all! So they basically can make up ANY type of lame excuse to get out of a booking up until the last minute, which is pretty sad. No other Hotel, Bed and Breakfast or any other online vacation rental site we use has this policy! The renter would have to typically forgo at least half of the rental amount if it's cancelled less than 30 days prior to arrival. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

normaj14
1/16/18

I have had two terrible experiences! The first, the owner cancelled on me 3 weeks before, and I could find no other place to stay---needed it for herself.
The second, I had to cancel three months before, and they kept over $200 in fees non-refundable.
I WILL NEVER USE AIRBNB AGAIN!!!

susanm395
1/14/18

Six guests stayed at airbnb managed property in Maui (Paradise Properties) between December 20-27. We were charged $1273 per couple for a week (more than $3500.00 total) for a unit that does not accommodate 6 adults - only 4. We had to move furniture so we could all be together in the common area, eat in shifts, stack bags and belongings in the common room since there was no shelf, drawer closet or cupboard provided for extra two people. Light bulbs were burned out, refrigerator shelves broken, the mattress on sofa bed was horrible even when placed on the floor. Mainly there were no accommodations for two people at all which inconvenienced all of us. We sent pictures, explained the situation in detail, and asked for a partial refund (for 2 people) -the host refunded our "service charge" of $200 and blamed us for not calling her about a burned out light bulb. We went through the "resolution" process with airbnb rep who also did not respond directly to actual concerns and blamed us for not calling. She said she could not 'force' the host to refund money. This is not a resolution process. The accommodations were woefully misrepresented and customer service is appalling. We will never use airbnb again and the six of us have told our traveling friends. Airbnb must change their way of settling disputes by actually reading the complaint and attempting to find a reasonable solution. Airbnb must use the leverage of refunding money to customers if they want their properties to represent their accommodations accurately. airbnb attempts to resolve the process is insulting - No one should be treated with such distain, especially customers.

robertl319
1/3/18

What started out as a great New Years Eve weekend with my wife ended up being screwed..... Everything that was planned got messed up. I booked a Condo using AIRBNB.com a week ago and everything was confirmed by HOST ( FROM THE VACATION DEPOT ). I am pleased to be able to accommodate your trip to the Ridge On Sedona, AZ Resort, studio unit!!
This invoice covers everything except the following:
1.) Resort fees, plus tax (approx. $10.00 per night)
2.) Meals, incidentals, theme parks tickets, pay per
use amenities, rides, attractions etc.
My Best,
Robin from The Vacation Depot

and they took out the money out of our account. We drove 4 1/2 hours to get to Sedona, AZ Saturday morning .... only to have an email that AIRBNB.com cancelled our reservation 2 HOURS BEFORE CHECK IN..... said something about the host ( The VACATION DEPOT was out of town.....) Being a holiday weekend, everything is booked now and the only rooms available are $350-400 a night and they already took our money. This was the first and last time I will use The Vacation Depot..... I had to drive another 4 1/2 hours home ..... I saved up the money to take my wife on a nice trip and ended up being the day from HELL .. Oh yeah we will get our money back in 5 to 15 days.... Doesn't help us get us a hotel... In cancellation email was another more expensive listing from same host..., another splat in the face. calling hotels and the all all booked. no computer to spend hours trying to find a guaranteed room. I'm a diabetic and my insulin is getting warm now which makes it no good because I didn't expect to be turned away hours before..really..... I'm about to climb on a helicopter tour that I booked when I thought I had a reservation....... Find me another Condo to stay at the same price range.... don't send me more chances of a cancelled reservation at rate of $300-$400 a night.seeing my Wife's face of disappointment hurt me and just made me more angry.... we planned this trip for a while.. and instead of going with a hotel (a sure thing when rooms were available) I went through you guys..

jps7
12/26/17

Been doing AirBnB since its inception as a guest. Transitions from conventional hotels to B&Bs a while ago, but now mostly AirBnB satisfies my needs when I stay out of town. Four Years ago my wife and I started hosting. She became ranked as a Super Host and we really enjoyed meeting and interacting with our guests and also the added household income that more than paid for our monthly mortgage payments.

Never really had a bad incident HOSTING and only was disappointed on 2 occasions as a guest (where the room was less than we expected [once it was dirty and once it was way too small]) For anyone wanting a nice stay outside the big-box corporate hotels... this may be for you. For those with extra private space in their homes who want to be Innkeepers for a day... consider hosting.

As a Host, it is a bit difficult contacting CustomerServices by email or phone. In an emergency it becomes quite a chore trying to get ahold of someone to help out in a pinch. They should do better with CS and host access to corporate.

Tip for consumers: Stay with SuperHosts when you can. Read all the reviews and make sure you read all about each place you stay to avoid some ugly surprises. Watch of hidden fees (Cleaning fee, etc). Make sure they have W&D and WiFi too.

elizabethj47
12/19/17

We booked a family trip to Mexico and used Airbnb for two of our family members. With only 23 days before our trip, the host cancelled. Then he re-listed his property under a different name and raised the price by 50.00 per night. Then he took advantage of the high demand over New Years and it was unavailable for us to book. We were left with no accommodation. Airbnb customer service strategy is basically to pass you off from one person to the next with no resolution. After spending thousands of dollars on airfare we learned a few lessons - buyer beware and don't take a risk with this shady business.

valdemirog
12/12/17

Ohhhh Airbnb....

Been using this website almost since it's launch and have found amazing quality for price deals time and time again.

I suggest looking at all the details carefully. Choose good places in nice parts of where yo are travelling trying to always read the reviews and stay in contact with the host.

There will come a time things are a little shady or even ghetto.

Tip for consumers: Stuff happens overall the quality of staying in say an apartment is a million times better than an apart hotel or similar presentations.

simonj45
12/8/17

Not saying Airbnb is prefect, but comparing to other major vacation / short term rental websites, Airbnb is way better.

We have used Airbnb the longest period of time and get most guests from here. The best of all is with least amount of trouble. And even when there's a problem we could always solve it with help from Airbnb smoothly and professionally. Plus, there has never been any payment issue. As a result, we are very confident using Airbnb to rent our properties. We are not afraid to enable Instant Booking features. We also offer our best prices here thanks to the basically worry-free business relationship with Airbnb.

Why are bookings/guests from Airbnb the best? Our guess is because Airbnb handles everything from the beginning to the end with a proven system. Starting with verifying guests picture matching their ID, so to prevent potential online fraud. Their customer service representatives, at least the ones we talked with so far, speak perfect English, are professional and a pleasure to deal with. Plus, Airbnb provides $1M Host Protection Insurance coverage for owners/hosts, which certainly provides extra peace of mind.

andrewt78
12/4/17

I used Airbnb for years as a source for my rental properties without any real problems. Recently they cancelled two of my reservations without any explanation. When I called they said I would have to talk to a specialist who would return my call. Several further emailed attempts for an explanation went unanswered and I never received a call. It raises concerns about the why's and where this is going.

annam295
12/2/17

I am very disappointed with this website and the services the employees offer. For over 3 weeks I have had a problem with my account where the pricing comes up as $90 per month when I charge about $2300 a month. It is very frustrating as I am loosing possible interested clients and getting an overwhelming amount of inquiries. I called many times to get this fixed, was put on hold for over 30 minutes at a time and was hung up on numerous amounts of times. From a big company like that it was simply garbage customer service. When asked to speak to a manager - he was disgustingly rude on the phone and also hung up on me. Now - going on almost a month of pricing not working - they still haven't fixed it or I haven't gotten a call back. Very disappointed with this website. I loved this website prior to this.

sameerr2
11/24/17

Whenever booking through Airbnb, use an international credit card and book in the local currency. This is what I saw in Marrakech, the hotel room in MAD was 361, which the credit card exchange charged at USD 40. The same hotel when searching in USD shows up for $61 on Airbnb.

elainel40
11/22/17

I conversed with a host and decided to make a booking. The immediate next day after doing so, the host asked me for $500 more because she had put the wrong prices. But, that she would give me a discount and only request $300 from me instead of $500. This was dishonest behavior given I had conversed with her (during which the price was shown upfront) and I reported this to Airbnb requesting a full refund. However, Airbnb claimed the host did nothing wrong and they are entitled to ask me for more money. Airbnb reassured me no more money is owed, however, but this was not the point. The point was that I did not feel comfortable staying with a host who might unilaterally ask me for more money but Airbnb totally did not empathize. Airbnb sent me in so many loops when I tried to challenge this and I escalated this to a supervisor. The supervisor told me he will respond within 48 hours. Instead of getting me a refund, he got the host to send me a message reassuring me that I won't be charged extra after all but the damage has already been done. Just 2 hours after the supervisor sent me this update asking me if I am ok with this resolution, he sent a follow up saying that he will now close the case since he has not heard from me he assumes I am satisfied - even though he only gave me 2 hours to respond! It just goes to show they have no interest in truly resolving a customer's complaints but just wants to wash his hands of the problem ASAP. I lost faith that Airbnb truly cares about its guests and called immediately to emphasize I still want my refund. It took me 3 calls. During the first two calls he was still in the office and I was assured he would call me back shortly. It was only during the third call that someone told me this supervisor had left the office and I asked to speak to someone else instead. The replacement, when asked why on earth I was only given 2 hours to respond to a message, could only tell me he can't comment on the actions of his colleague. Absolutely terrible service and will never use Airbnb again!

kimberleen
11/22/17

No meaningful customer service when place turns out to be NOT as advertised. Distrust the reviews: those that are negative are posted.

yuliaa1
11/20/17

I was a great fan of this service for about two-three years until I faced an ugly situation.
I had a bad experience with the apartment in Tel Aviv in the high season in August. It was so bad that when I provided photos to Airbnb, they returned me back 50% of total cost.
But later I understoond why there are so many good reviews (good scores) for awful apartments. It is just the policy of Airbnb. They do not want to spoil their reputation and image allowing to use the site bad hosts. That's why they do their best to escape negative reviews.
After my experience I have left a true review for the apartment and they cancelled it. The explanation was that the host provided them with some evidence that I was bribing money from him for a good review. I have provided our sms-exchange and wattsapp messages. But they took his side. It was especially strange and disgusting taking into consideration that the guy cheated with apartment description and there were awful conditions and his ad was a fraud. And they themselves obliged him to pay me back 50%.
I will never recommend to use it as you there you are buying pig in a poke.

davidm783
11/20/17

Our room in Arles, France was NOTHING like the picture portrayed in the home.
I won't go into to disappointing details .. , but we would not stay there, and we don't mind staying at a Super8 or Econlodge either.
Called AirBnB and told them of our situation. The asked up to take pictures to help document our claim. we took several pictures of the dirty bathroom, fridge etc

After two weeks, it was "DETERMINED" (how , I know not ) that we could receive a $100.00 credit. And as a bonus, we weren't charged for the cleaning fee, since we did not spend the night(s).

If you have an issue with your host or home, AirBnB will side with the landlord every time! They would rather lose your business than one of their 'clients' .

Forewarned. David Miller

larissal12
11/15/17

I've used Airbnb several times without issue. However, last week I had a horrific experience that Airbnb completely failed to resolve. My host canceled a 3-night booking in Mexico City on my day of arrival 2-hours before check-in. Airbnb did not phone to alert me to this significant last minute development, but rather sent an email. In the email, various "alternatives" were proposed - none of which were in remotely the same area of Mexico City, a massive metropolis - that I could book directly, or I could request my money back. #1 - the alternatives were not comparable. #2 - I had guests arriving within 2 hours, and did not have time to research, communicate and re-book (hoping that there would not be another last minute cancellation). #3 - In lieu of availing myself of a non-comparable alternative that would have considered time and effort (and luck - there was very little time to pull all of this together) on my part to reserve, the only option that I was left with was to request a refund. I was forced to book two hotel rooms last minute, incurring a cost $300 greater than my Airbnb booking. Airbnb offered no further assistance or recompense for the stress and extra expense that resulted from using their platform. Subsequently, I received a phone call purportedly to learn more about my point of view regarding what happened. When I said that Airbnb failed in its customer service, and that it did not provide me with assurance, as a paying guest, that I could depend on pre-booked and pre-paid accommodations, I was informed that it wasn't their fault. Problems happen, but Airbnb's management of the situation and subsequent follow-up was pathetic. I will not be booking ever again w/ them, and urge other travelers to be cautious as they also may not know that Airbnb hosts can cancel pre-paid bookings at the last minute, with no excuse and no assurance from Airbnb that you will be relocated to comparable accommodations.

cristinal17
11/10/17

I've used Airbnb a couple of times prior to this trip and had some decent experiences, but I will never use them again after this one. I will preface by saying that both my sister and I have traveled the world, been to many different countries and have stayed in hostels many times but never had an experience like this.

We booked a room in a house in New Orleans. The house stated that it was on Frenchman Street for those of you who are not familiar with this area, its a popular destination in New Orleans, lined with bars and restaurants where all the locals go to listen to live jazz music. Unfortunately, Airbnb does not disclose the exact address of the house until the day before your stay, they give you a radius to give you a general idea of where its located. Well, when we arrived at the house it was on the very far end of Frenchman Street, not at all in walking distance to that area as described (nor would it have been safe to walk, day or night, male or female, EVER). It was in a very bad, crime ridden area with bars on many of the windows and doors, and wood paneling covering windows that had been blown out. The house was not at all how it was described in the ad. We stepped outside for a moment to contemplate if it was safe to walk just around the corner to Walgreens, and within a few minutes someone made an attempt to rob us. I will spare the long details of this but luckily we escaped the situation unharmed. When we ran back into the house we discovered that someone left the door to the back patio unlocked. This was a shared space, meaning other guests were staying in other rooms just down the hall. Luckily no one had entered the home from off the street but we feared that if the guests accidentally left it unlocked again, that someone could enter the home in the middle of the night and rob us or worse. Also, there were no locks on our bedroom door, leaving our belongings at risk while we were out exploring the city. I realize that New Orleans suffered awful devastation from Hurricane Katrina and is still recovering and its really sad, but, Airbnb should be more forthcoming about the state of these houses/rooms.

This place was completely misrepresented. It said there was a porch overlooking the yard as well as street and two sets of french doors that open up into Frenchmen Street, letting in plenty of light and allowing for prime people watching. The french doors in the kitchen were bolted shut, and the only view from the porch was a very tall fence that separated the back of the house from the street, we couldnt view the street as stated. In addition, the house was unsanitary. The pillows were stained brown (very brown, spotted, DISGUSTING), the towels that were folded and placed on the bathroom counter were damp and smelled like mold, the toilet wasnt completely bolted down to the ground, etc.

Unfortunately Airbnb has a refund policy that protects them from just about anything. We contacted their customer support line immediately and worked with a case manager in an attempt to get a refund but they refused. They said that they cannot refund due to neighborhood factors, only things pertaining to the house itself; so we sent the pictures of the house and everything inside that was dirty (including those nasty pillows) but they still refused. We were also shocked that there were no reviews about any of these things which leads us to believe that perhaps the negative reviews are being deleted. After the incident I decided to do some more research on the company, and found that other people have experienced the following situations (also without refunds): door locks being broken when you arrive, getting kicked out of the house by disgruntled ex-spouses, cancelling peoples stays hours before their reservation, hosts openly using drugs in common spaces, getting kicked out by HOA reps because the host doesnt have rights to rent, not refunding people who were supposed to stay in Napa Valley during the devastating fires just to name a few. I dont care what their policy states, they should operate by whats right and whats wrong. This company has no moral compass whatsoever. It sounds like just about anyone can qualify to rent their space through Airbnb and misrepresent it in their ad. I would highly advise against using this service.

jobh10
11/9/17

We own two expensive homes that we rent out in vacation areas. This year we added Airbnb as a site to book our home in addition to Homeaway and VRBO. We had numerous rentals booked thru Airbnb as well as the other vendors and maintain 5 star status with excellent reviews. One of our last rentals of the seasons through Airbnb places a renter innonevour homes who did over $1,500 in damages. We contacted Airbnb immediately and contacted the renter as well. We supplied well documented pictures and a written estimate from the contractor with a full assessment of damage and costs to repair. Airbnb told us that our contractor must have a raised seal on his estimate paperwork and it cant be a Word document. We told them a small family owned contractor business does provides estimates on a home computer with simple letterhead. Then they wanted a video of the danage in addition to photos. It was a complete runaround and then they denied us payment. We are disgusted. We were disrespected as property owners by Airbnb and treated like we were trying to get one over on them when the renter is the bad guy. Anyway, a caution to property owners. Airbnb is not easy to deal with regarding property damage claims and we have decided to terminate them. Homeaway just earned our loyalty and rights to do business with us.

rosek47
11/7/17

We rented a place in Jacksonville, Florida only to find out halfway into the stay that the owner cannot lease out his property under the rules of the home owners association. He has done this to others yet Airbnb continues to keep his account active. Because of this one of our workers had their car towed and was told they had to leave today since this rental was not allowed. This not only cost us a tow bill, taxi, another hotel and lost time at the fair where we have a booth. We want a total refund not partial because of all the inconvenience. We have documentation to the fact that this person was warned more than once that renting his units was not allowed. Now we are having a heck of a time just trying to get our documents to Airbnb. If this is how the company operates we will go back to staying at hotels.

jenil4
11/7/17

BED BUGS IN HOTELS THAT WERE DISGUISED AS APARTMENTS. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. AIRBNB DOES NOT PUBLISH IT'S PHONE NUBMER, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT GUESTS, HANGS UP ON THEM AFTER ABUSIVE HOLD TIMES.

katys28
11/1/17

Awful hosts, awful customer service, just an awful company. Save time, save your money, and be stress free by going with any other company. You know the saying, "Wish someone would have told me?" Well your wish is being granted... Never book with Airbnb!

Tip for consumers: Airbnb's detailed ratings are all awful! They are the worst! Stay away from Airbnb.

paulj157
10/31/17

Without a doubt the worst booking site I have ever been on in my life,spent 1 hour trying to book a property,they want photos of you that have to be confirmed then after all the hassle i'm none the wiser that I have booked..avoid..

chilona
10/24/17

My maiden voyage with airbnb ended up a disaster! My online experience with airbnb was a bit clumsy but i figured it out and was able to make a reservation "Mountain Peek - Hosted by Jamie + Melissa" on September 27, 2017, I thought everything was fine and i was so excited to be able to experience this area from a new perspective..... Until, 2 days before we were supposed to be at this unit and the host cancelled our reservation. No reason was given, the airbnb folks said it was because "she was uncomfortable". I complied with everything that was asked of me and even filled out a profile in it's entirety in order to give enough details about my personal life to give anyone considering our requests a level of comfort.

The host cancelled the morning i was in communication with him/her via airbnb text, but in the texts, the host stated that the reservation was cancelled the day before. (the cancellation email was sent out the morning i was in communication - in fact 10 minutes prior). The hosts also told the airbnb folks that we had 9 people coming, and that was not true either, we only had 7 (and two of those were last minute tag alongs) The home was supposed to house a total of 7.

I contacted airbnb and asked them if there was a vetting process for hosts, and guess what, according to my representative, the answer is no. So there you go. I went on the airbnb site to give an official review to this host, and guess what, that is not allowed either. How am i to know that there were not more dissatisfied folks out there having their plans cancelled the last minute? I don't! All i know is that i am going to stick with the tried and true. My first and last experience with airbnb was unprofessional, disappointing and i don't need to learn this lesson again.

lindar235
10/22/17

Should you wish to give yourself an early heart attack...
Airbnb had a good concept but this is all it has. I met lots of nice people as a Host. The customer service is unbearable and inept; they speak in compliments and riddles, never substance, endless holding. No one is capable of resolving the smallest problem, or take responsibility.

You could not possibly get any worse customer service nor waste more time trying to resolve the simplest problem; no client satisfaction whatsoever. It took ABB from May to July to correct something (address and mapping area), never mind the random pricing which required my endless monitoring. The incompetence is rampant. After two years I quit. UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY, Pathetic.
Id rather chew nails.

Tip for consumers: Hosting - Do Not Use Airbnb, Seriously.

lindam463
10/20/17

We tried to book a property in AK 3x with 3 different dates and each time the property calendar showed the dates were available. Each time we got the autoresponder notice that those dates were not available even though they show available on the calendar. I am a vacation home owner and use VRBO (not so great either) to list my home, but at least my calendar functions and I can be reached by prospective guests. (The owner eventually stated that the calendar function had a "glitch.") Airbnb needs to provide a way to communicate with the owner in situations like this. I had thought of switching my property to Airbnb but will never do so now. Nor will I ever book another property through Airbnb.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation. However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do. I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions. Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.

By Susan M.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S.

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

38 Photos for Airbnb