Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

erinn33
8/18/18

Nothing but terrible experiences with Airbnb and their "services." To say the least this company has poor customer service and does not take any responsibility for any mishaps that occur at their venues. They don't care about their customers whatsoever or the fact that the places they post on their site could be a scam. They don't check out any of the venues they post on their site to see if they are legit and meet their standards. I recently stayed in an Airbnb that was evicted and then got thrown out of because I was told I was trespassing and staying there illegally after booking and paying for the place a month in advance. Customer service didn't take any responsibility for the fact that this place was a bogus rental on their site and even went so far as to say that that wasn't their fault or their problem. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours and transferred to 5 different people trying to get my refund while also attempting to figure out another place to stay since I was now homeless for the night (which they also didn't give a sh** about).Makes me wonder how many other places they post up online that aren't safe to stay at either or if they even care. Never staying at another Airbnb and I wouldn't be surprised is they find a lawsuit coming their way soon.

massimof4

BOOK AN HOTEL, IT WILL COST A BIT MORE BUT IT'S SERIOUS

lorenal13
8/17/18

A SHAME !

I paid 1900euros for a room for one month and a half in London so I can do an internship at the French embassy.
When I arrived, the room was disgusting (I found a nail in one of the drawers of the bedside table, the desk was so dirty it was sticky, the wardrobe was so dirty I had to clean it for several days before I could unpack, the floor was full of stains...). The rest of the appartment was in a poor condition, the bathroom was disgusting as well, and the way to the balcony was dangerous (you have to go through a small window, the stairs are broken so you have to put your foot on a plastic stool on which lays a wooden board with nails on it). Also I didn't know they would be other guests in a shared room, and my hosts even put mattresses on the floor in their own bedroom so they can get more money! I started feeling insecure, when one woman came to me in the kitchen and told me she had to sleep tonight in the same room as another man whom she did not know, and was not aware of this before her arrival.

Then my relationships with my hosts started detariorating, as they were aggressive towards one of my friend who came for 4 nights (my host had given me her consent). They started to make false accusations (literally "I think your friend borrowed something but I don't know what"), and lie (writing to me one month after my arrival that I "shouldn't go to the balcony because it isn't safe" the very same day she sees me taking pictures of the balcony to send to airbnb). I felt so insecure about them that I started getting home as late as I could.

I called airbnb to explain my situation to them and not only were they of no help, but they made me lose time, and made the situation with my hosts even worse.

I would strongly advise anyone not to use Airbnb services, as they really turned my stay here into a nightmare.

kyliav
8/14/18

I got sick year ago with cancer and almost died. Because of this I had to cancel some reservations, in which I called the people and airbnb to explain the situation. I finally got better recently and started doing it again, a year later, and they want to penalize me by stealing $200 from my payout. Even after contacting them again and explaining it all over again, they refused to waive this penalty. So now my already paycheck to paycheck income is reduced even more this month. Thieves. Terrible experience.

jenniferg374
8/14/18

Thought we had a house rented in Destin Florida for family vacation and was told host did not like something about use so they canceled are reservations with out even notifying use they said they sent an email and I'm still waiting for it maybe they are sending it but not to me. I really am a check the reviews kind a of person but did not think this sight would be that bad and boy I was so wrong. I will be telling everyone I know not to stay away from Airbnb.

jamesc957
8/12/18

Drove 1 hour waited 2 hours & they canceled the booking cause the owner was using it and never refunded our money still.....what a scam & no reply from customer service

jayw138
8/10/18

I booked thru Airbnb a unit in Newport Beach. The pictures of the unit looked good. However, the place was a hovel. I can't begin to list all that was wrong with the place, but perhaps the best example was the mold growing on the heat register. Considering the place was a dump and the mold made my allergies intolerable, we had to check out after 3 days of a ten day reservation. But what really annoyed me was after I send an email of complaint to Airbnb, they had the nerve to respond saying it was a pleasure to speak to me and they were closing my case. The problem was they never spoke to me about my complaint. I could not believe the unmitigated gaul. I strongly recommend that you not use Airbnb because if you ever rent a place based on the pictures (which are misleading) or have to lodge a complaint with Airbnb, you will get some bull sh... response. I feel completely ripped off by Airbnb and want to warn anyone interested in booking they them, you will get butt fuked

juliej150
8/10/18

I entered the apartment and was met with filthy and unhealthy conditions. I took photos, reported it and asked for my money back. I got my money back, but in the meantime, due to the popularity of the area I had to rush and book a room at a motel 20 minutes away in a different beach community. In the area we were supposed to stay in we were going to rent kayaks and lounge on the quite beach. We ended up in an over populated expensive area. The host left me a review saying that I probably lied about the whole thing so that I could stay in the more exciting environment. She is accusing me of having that motive for not staying in her filthy place. I didn't even leave awful feedback with description since I didn't want to completely ruin her reputation. So now she's slandered me and called me a liar in public. She has no idea who I am and if she did she Would know that I didn't want to pay double to stay in a double the price room. Air bnb won't remove the slanderous review. Terrible experience.

illial
8/10/18

My problem was solved in 30 minutes. Customer service speaks at least English and Russian. Well done.
I use Airbnb for 3 years, recommend to you.

hadaras
8/7/18

I tried for a period of 4 days to delete my Airbnb account, The first Supervisor dropped the ball and never had another supervisor help to get this account delete, due to a legal problem. Thank god for David. he took care of this right away !!.

sherim56
8/3/18

I have 3 listings with them and have been using them for years. I had a renter scratch my coffee table in Winter Park pretty bad. They of course denied it and refused to pay. Supposedly, Airbnb is supposed to take care of that kind of thing. However, when I called them, they told me it was normal wear & tear so wouldn't pay for it. Total crap as a huge scratch that was not there before 1 renter, but there after, is NOT considered wear and tear. Obviously they don't know the correct definition of wear and tear. I've called three times, asking to speak to a manager about contesting it and they always tell me they will escalate it and then have someone call me back. Nobody ever calls back! 1 out of the 3 times I called, they emailed me and basically told me too bad. It's ridiculous after all the times I've used them and money I've made them!

megm40
8/3/18

Never got to rent but got to inquire about rentals: didn't end up renting becuase I canceled the vacation I was supposed to go on due to having to work. The people were pleasant and friendly. Also it's a safe and secure way to find legitimate rentals. Would come to AirBNB for a short term or vacation rental if I needed one.

sandrar251
8/1/18

They discriminate against women! A bunch of wanna-be females ganging up on the fairer sex! Buyer beware! You will get scammed!

kellyh286
8/1/18

All good , use them already more than 10 times, a personal touch from a large company , Top class customer service.

leslieb203
7/29/18

Our 50 & Fabulous trip started off beautiful until we got to The Alexander Hotel on Collins Avenue...6 women in the room with only one shower operable. My girlfriend reached out to the owner ANGEL and of course no one ever came to fix. We met several people who complained about the deplorable conditions in their rooms.. The sheets on the bed were dirty...DIRTY with stains on them i mean when you pull the covers back you see dirty ass sheets. Another girlfriend went to ask the concierge about continental breakfast WHICH NEVER EXISTED...We were told to come back at 10. We came back at 10am and the girl in the little store said she was waiting on a menu... A menu? You said you were the cook? What the hell you need a menu for if your the cook. Another lie. We walked out..Met a man and his wife who said it was RAINING in their bathroom....He reported it to front desk they were never moved to another room nor was the problem rectified. They were like that for 3 days, our view of the beach was the only nice thing. The Alexander Hotel needs to train their staff on meeting customers needs. Not lying about all and everything. We rented from an owner who in poor taste,when reaching out to him he FINALLY answered back but never followed up with us again to see if anything got fixed. Which it didnt. I feel as an owner you; since you were not around you should of had a representative to met and greet your renters..This experience has taught me HOTELS FOR NOW ON. What you have posted online is false advertisement...Anyone reading this please think before you spend your money....your hard earned money dont let it go down the drain...Us girls made our own trip....50 & Fabulous!!!!

timl225
7/26/18

I went to the airbnb website and typed in my location. However, it point me to spain for sight seeing. I just want to rent a room. But I was unable to search for a room using the search function do I left the site. Apparently it's not for renting rooms anymore. It wased my time.

steveb349
7/26/18

The fastest way to know what kind of site it is your dealing with in my opinion is to go right past the welcoming page and straight to their help section. I do appreciate not having to contact CS by having a quality group of FAQs but often times I seem to be the one that falls through the cracks and though I am diligent about searching FAQs (because I don't have a lot of faith in CS in the first place) , there are times when contacting CS is the only option.
This proved to be the case with my experience with Airbnb.com . I can't tell you how the rooms were, although I suspect that would be a place by place circumstance in this case. The reason I can't tell you is because although I have legal state issued drivers license; I was unable to get a photo of it which was good enough to satisfy their ID check system at airbnb.com. Had that been just the case, it would have been simply dropped from my mind as I continued my search to find a place to take a hot date I had been lucky enough to arrange. I am also of limited finances which was the reason I didn't just get a hotel room in the first place but before I left airbnb.com I noticed there was a second option to arrange getting my room, which stated that you didn't need to provide your ID to their system, but the caveat was that you might lose your reservation to someone who had in the meantime went through their process of checking ID successfully. I decided that sounds fair so I went through their process of taking my money and after having done all that I expected to be taken to a page saying when I would be contacted or where I had to go or something with instructions on what I needed to do next. Needless to say I was less than thrilled when it took me to their ID cheeking system page once again and it stated I needed to prove my ID.
Now the site had my money and I didn't have funds to just go on and worry about it later after my date. So I contacted both the owner of the place I was suppose to be renting and airbnb.com, this however only after going round and round on their website trying to find the link I needed to actually contact a human being.

All together I lost about four hours time before I got a message stating that my money was refunded. The owner of the property I was suppose to be renting did finally contact me that day with an oh-so helpful statement saying he couldn't accept my reservation until I had satisfied airbnb.com's identity checking system.

The only reason I didn't give airbnb.com a lower rating is because I didn't want to scare somebody who might need lodging at a somewhat lower rate than most hotels, because the truth is it might have been a wonderful stay had I been able to satisfy their ID check system.

This is fair warning to anyone that can't afford to have their money tied up or that might have any sort of special cause for contacting airbnb.com because I don't think you will get a reply in a timely fashion if at all.

mac9
7/25/18

My husband & I have used Airbnb for years. In the past we can say the accommodation we have used has been quite good. We have been quite disappointed with the properties in the last couple of years as they have been generally inferior.

We are currently staying in a house in Iceland. This property had numerous good reviews. The cost to us was considered to be on the top end ($600 AUD per night)
We have five in our family & we expected to find a lovely property in good condition for this price. Unfortunately the property is in very bad repair & has so many problems that need attention.

We are now not trusting Airbnb listings. It is too difficult to resolve any issues & there seems to be nothing that can be done in our situation (which is grocely overcharging for the condition of the property). We are comparing this home to others we have stayed in in Iceland so we understand the cost base of this country.

Airbnb needs to stand behind the properties they are making so much profit on & make sure they are of suitable standard for what they are charging the customer. I also note that Airbnb appear that they do not reufund their own margin if the customer has a refund owing?

paigeg7
7/23/18

That's exactly what i sent to them.....

I am Extremely unhappy with the service i have been given. Not only have you cancelled my reservation less than two weeks before but i have been told if i rebook with yourselves i can have a £33.80 but if i want a refund i get nothing! Not only this but i am unable to leave a bad review for the host because they gave me two weeks notice, i can only leave them a review if it was on the day. This is DISGUSTING. So now i have to re arrange my hen do within 2 weeks notice and i am unable to find anything due to school holidays and being such short notice. I will not be using your service again.

bridgeta13
7/20/18

I was harassed by the home owner with countless phone calls and text messages. She told me I had to leave by 8:30am but her page said check out time was 11am. She then called back and said over voicemail I'll go ahead and let you check out at 11am but I'll need a good review in exchange for the good review. LOL! I told Airbnb and they said they can't do anything about the harassment nor was it harassment.

ashlik2
7/19/18

If I could give zero I would. Eight days ago I booked a trip and was double charged. They charged both the gift card I used for the transaction as well as an additional credit card which I did not authorize. I have called numerous times, been on hold for several hours, sent emails, sent private messages via their Facebook, and used all available contact forms on their website and this is still not resolved. They keep assuring me will happen in a timely manner but no one has a time estimate. Only managers can handle this they say but no manager is ever available. Im out over $700 which they admit is their error but are u willing to refund. I will NEVER book with them again. They assured me that the delay is just do to a high number of current incidents (is that supposed to be reassuring?????). Buyer beware! This company does NOT care!

gregl175
7/16/18

Superhost? Please. Rude, arrogant, and offensive. AirBnb refused to allow me to post my review on my experiences with him, as I didn't get to rent the unit. He removed me from renting, as I had inquired without filling out a profile up front, and made some nasty insinuations. Really, my question was which complex is your unit in? That was over the top for him? And this is the "cream of their crop". Remember Jacques from Kihei and don't rent from him, nor give AirBnb your business based on my experiences. Horrible, 0 stars.

stephenw236
7/16/18

I rented out my apartment to a guest. He broke a bed. I sent the evidence to Airbnb, they accepted this and agreed to pay. They then withdrew the offer, no explanation given.
My understanding is that they also kept the guests deposit. That's fraud in my opinion.
Do not trust Airbnb.

toddym
7/14/18

After a divorce, i stared doing airbnb to make ends meet and provide for my 2 boys , my bnb was great and thriving, I got an LLC for my bnb and was proud of not only getting back on my feet but being a bussiness owner, i payed my taxes and did everything by the book. One day one of my regular guest mentioned that he couldn't rebook due to an error in the app, i called airbnb when they inform me that they will send this case to the specialist department to be fixed. My app froze and my guest were leaving beacuse they couldn't rebook. I called back. Again and again to see whays going on?! Again the same answer " i understand, but its in the specialist department and they will call you" they never did. Then airbnb started cancelling the few guests i had left and refunding them out of my monthly earnings! I had very loyal guests who refuse this offer, they were told they didn't have a choice and said airbnb would be cancelling regardless, they asked why?? Airbnb refuse to tell them why , guests asked me why?? I couldn't tell them because i myself did not know. I begged airbnb, i told them that this was my only income and that the money they were returning was infact my rent for myself and my boys. Again same answer " i understand, its in the specialist department and they will call you" until this day they never called me to explain why this was happening a week later they cancel my account, never explaining why, me and my boys are now in the process of moving out of our home beacuse we couldn't get rent , i depended too much and build a business on a company that didnt care enough to investigate or call , i cant defend myself because i dont know what was said or even if anything was said at all ?? I suspect it was just a glitch in the app that they didn't feel like fixing or maybe a lie was told we had a guest who we kicked out for opening bank accounts under our adress and braking into my mailbox at the time, i suspect he called and made something up but then again..i dont know..they never call to explain..it wasn't fair and cost me everything , all my hard work and ultimately my home. If anybody ever starts a class action lawsuit contact me please this was not right what this company did to me.

cherylm303
7/13/18

I am currently a host with Air BnB. I have been since the year prior. I received what is known as an "Instant booking from a traveler named Jack Instant booking allowed him to book my home without communicating with me and Air Bnb gets a fast booking. I called Air BnB immediately because when I messaged this man, he told me he was proposing to his wife to be at my home and was having a BBQ with extra guests at my home. I was not comfortable with this. The Air BnB representative told me that I could only cancel an instant booking once . Since I was worried about the consequences of needing to cancel again (my rental season is only 8 weeks in duration) I elected to speak with this guest to insure that we were on the same page regarding the House Rule posted on my listing. Instant booking allows a guest to instantly book your property and as such, an owner must expect without speaking to the guest, that he/she will abide by all the house rules. This guest "Jack" did not. I had over 50 cigarette butts left all over my yard, lit butts stuck between the decking slats causing small burns to my deck wood, beer tops in the pool, silk flower petals left in the pool which clogged the bottom drain, candles melted in the pool and submerged and clouded my pool which took two weeks to clear and over $50 of chlorine and hours of hand skimming, there was an amount of garbage as though there were 20 guests, filthy amounts of trash all over the lawn and around pool area, my home smelled of cigarette smoke and was extraordinarily filthy...
Each time I call Air BnB I get someone from India who tells me they case is marked Urgent and it will be dealt with properly.
I was coerced by Air BnB to accept this instant booking because I was told that I could only cancel one reservation and my vacation rental period is only 8 weeks long.- additionally, I was told, in writing, that if I cancelled instant booking that my rental property would be placed at a lower viewing position that other homes because Instant Booking on your account raises your home to a higher viewing position. I attempted to message with this guest and thought we were on the same page insofar as the House Rules. We were not, my home was destroyed by this guest and his band of cigarette smoking animals. Because I was requesting payment from the guest myself (wherein he admitted to the damages and violating the house rules-in writing) when I called an Air BnB representative and advised them of the damage, I told them I was dealing directly with the guest and it appeared that he was going to pay for the damages and extra cleaning necessary, I was never advised on TWO separate calls to Air BnB that I had no recourse after 14 days. It appears as though the guest knew this. I actually advised Air BnB that I had damages within three hours of the guests departure and I further advised that I was asking the guest for payment. The Air BnB representative were sent a copy of all written communication from the guest wherein he admitted to the damages and all other problems and agreed to pay.
Air BnB is not a USA based Company. They do NOT give a crap about your home. They simply want to make money and leave you hanging when there is damage. All I receive from my calls is a representative from India, 'glad-handing' me and telling me that my case is re-opened, marked as "Urgent" and I should not worry. Believe me folks...WORRY !!! Air BnB does not give a crap about you or your property their only concern is: about making money!

Tip for consumers: Don't use Air BnB Use Homeaway.com or VBRO. This company does not give a crap about your home or your concerns!;

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Being a host, I can say that when things are going good, all is great, but if something goes wrong, as a host, you will not get the support from Airbnb that is promised. They do not stand behind their hosts, I find they like to a facade that all is great in the land of Airbnb. I have cancelled my listing and will not deal with them anymore in the future.

By Rita V.

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S.

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

51 Photos for Airbnb