Review of Macy's

privacy.master@macys.com
2018 Customer choice award

timk226
1/16/19

I ordered a Calphalon Classic nonstick 14 pc pot & pan set on Nov 26. I got an email showing that the order was placed on back order until Jan 11 and I need to respond before the back order due date to receive the order, witch I did. I then got another email showing that the order was put back on back order again and would not get it until Jan 17 and I would have to respond again before the new due date to receive the order. Again I responded that I wanted the order. Two days later I for an email stating my order was canceled. When I emailed them back they told me they never received my response, and I could reorder if I wanted my order. I called customer service to reorder and they told me that the order was canceled dou to no stock. I was also told I could not reorder because they were out of stock. They seemed like they could not or would not even try to help. First I was told is was their automated system that canceled my order then it was a stock issue. What ever the problem customer service acted like they didn't care.
I asked for my name, number, and email be removed from their system so I never here from them again.

richardc717
1/4/19

I ended up ordering a ton from Macy's, but lord knows they fought me the entire way. Their credit card seemed like it had some good features. I know I've filled out the necessary information for it. To this day, I don't know why I don't have one. I don't even know if I'm registered as a client. I'll go back to the site to see if things improved. But life's too short to order from them any more.

patrickb423
12/18/18

I purchased a Ralph Lauren shirt from the website. I selected XL for the shirt, but in checkout the shirt kept showing XXL. After my third attempt to refresh, I thought it was possibly a glitch. After the checkout was complete I got the email saying the size was XXL.Keep in mind I used a gift card. I had to call in to dispute the size. The initial dispute was an okay experience. I got the right size ordered and everything was fine. I checked my credit card account and notice three transactions. One for the right amount 4.99 with my gift card. The second 64 dollars and lastly 23 dollars. I called concerned about what the other two transaction were. I was assured that they would be dropped off my account in two to three business days because the transacts were pending just to make sure the card was good. I checked my account after the elapsed time, shockingly I was charged 23.94. I checked the past three emails they sent me with the price changing in everyone of the emails increasing in value. The number quoted matched non of the emails. I called in to get a price correction when I explained the problem the service rep insulted me by saying, "you filled the transaction wrong...". Truth is I didn't and have the emails to prove it. I asked her what she doesn't understand? Would you like me to show you the emails? Abruptly, I am hung up on. Macy's keep doing business this way and I will chuckle when this company is filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. You have no future in my analysis. I will never shop at this company again, nor as an investor invest. Take your money elsewhere!

kathleenh194
12/17/18

I have closed my account after many, many years!!! Their online support is so, so horrible!! People are rude, and most important, they do not take care of the problem you are calling about. I have spent hours trying to resolve a refund, each time being told it was done, and never happening...I mean, literally months!! What a shame, I love Macy's things, but absolutely not worth the headache dealing with people who don't understand or speak English correctly.

stevep381
12/17/18

Ordered item and week after expected delivery date I call. Item had a tracking # but they say it never shipped and is no longer available. They never contacted me or even try to make right. Will never shop at Macy's regardless of price..

juliem514
12/12/18

I ordered something on the 23rd of the month and it did not ship out until the 11th the following month. Who knows when and if I'll ever get the item I ordered. I could've ordered it from Hong Kong, Nova Scotia or Singapore and got it faster than this. SMH Technically, I could go to the end of my street and get the exact same item but I would've paid five dollars more for it. NEVER AGAIN MACY'S! NEVER!

donnas586
12/12/18

Did not receive a gift card ordered online. Contacted customer service; terrible service. To get a refund was going to take 5 days and to reorder was going to take at least 2 weeks.
Never again will I order anything online.
To add insult to injury, the gift finally arrive a couple of days later; however, it had been canceled by that time

anno105
12/11/18

In recent years, Macy's has stepped up their game. Although sometimes I wish they had a better selection of better quality items, I've been pleasantly surprised by many very reasonably priced purchases there. They are always a go-to, and their customer service has actually improved!

rickm304
12/11/18

Don't ever buy from Macy's and especially if rebates are involved. Their customer service is beyond poor. Spent well over2 hours trying to resolve a rebate issue and after talking to 7 people in three department. In many cases the representative obviously did not understand or was not listening to my situation based on their question. I was twice directed to automated voice systems that provided only automated information in a quagmire of numerical options and I was also disconnected twice.. One rep suggested I should look up a department number rather than giving it to me or transferring me directly. I received no resolution nor anyone that really was even qualified or competent to guide me. Just a lot of runaround and misinformation. In the end, I decided my time was worth more than the $72 dispute. So Macys will lose thousands of dollars in future revenue because they are not competent enough properly address their customers needs. I suggest everyone join me and "just say no" to Macy's in order to save yourself a lot of pain and anguish.

tierab1
12/11/18

Macys messed up my order. The customer services was terrible they cancelled my order then stole my money .Never again

kathym175
12/7/18

I ordered from them on Black Friday. Unfortunately they sent my item to the wrong address. I track my shipments closely so I notified them of the issue within an hour of the UPSP noting it was undeliverable. Over the course of a week, I dealt with (4) different reps. My question every time was: "Where is my box going and how do we get it re-sent to me?" What I got was some version of the same "It's no longer in stock so we can't re-ship it. Here's a refund." I was clear every time. I'm not talking to about shipping me a new item. I don't care if it's in the inventory or not. The items I ordered are coming back to Macy's. There' s no obvious reason why you can't send them to me. The first person said some escalations team would contact me in 2-3 business days but that never happened. It wasn't until I got the 4th person that they told me they have no way to communicate with the warehouse that would receive the returned shipment??? Seriously? There's no procedure for getting me what I ordered? My only consolation is that my kids had no idea they were getting this particular thing for Christmas so they won't know they aren't getting it.

brianb631
11/24/18

I purchased a bracelet, online, as a gift for $314.29. The Bracelet did not fit comfortably so I decided to return it and purchase something different. The Dept. Manager, at the Mall of NH Macy's Store, said that I only had 30 days to return it! I had not even given the gift by then! Your return policy states 180 Days. He said if you dig deeper it says 30 days for Jewelry. That's ridiculous! I should not have to click on separate links to find the actual policy! It, at least, should have been on my receipt! I was willing to exchange it or except store credit. The only thing he would do is give me $188.79 store credit, for something UNUSED, WITH THE TAGS STILL ON IT, Receipt in hand, that I paid $314.29 for! That is like stealing $125.50 from me because they are going to put that back in the case and sell it again, for full price! The Better Business Bureau might be interested in that! While at the store today I noticed that at this time of year, they give you 90 days to do full refunds on jewelry. So I know they can do it, they just did not want to. This is not the way to treat loyal customers!

UPDATE: After I was contacted by the jewelry supervisor, I have since been refunded the full amount of my purchase.

markb1070
11/19/18

UPS did not deliver my package on time because Macy's didn't put the suite number on the delivery slip, even though the complete and accurate address was clearly stated at the time of the order.

The only solution Macy's customer service was able to offer was I could pick it up at the UPS depot, 5 hours after the end of work and on the other side of town. This is not acceptable, especially since I live 45 miles away in another city.

So poor attention to detail, followed by shabby customer service. I will not be using Macy's ever again.

benjaminr57
11/8/18

I recently ordered watches for my kids. I got my order quickly and the offer price was too good. Reliable!

marm28
11/1/18

I ordered from them online international Canada, it gave me confirmation and I thought everything was fine but after a 10 days I emailed them for shipping confirmation and they replied back telling me that it has been cancelled, they don't have it in stock and I should buy it thru another site. The inconvenience it costed me with my Visa card was horrible. I was charged already for something they never had. They don't communicate. Don't trust online shopping with them, not trust worthy. They always ship late and it takes them even a month. This is ridiculous and I won't be shopping with them again. DON'T TRUST THEM. This item was suppose to be bday gift and wanted it on time.

mod9
11/1/18

I guess Macy's stopped trying. They are down to about 1/8th of the brands they used to carry and the store looks sloppy and poorly arranged. It is starting to look like a TJ Maxx, only 10 x the price. I can't see Macy's lasting the next 5 years.

valj19
10/18/18

Have a great experience buying at Macy's. A great variety to choose from and great chances with discounts.

lisah631
10/11/18

I really like to shop her for my makeup. So much to choose from. The people are always so helpful. I have also ordered online and receive my items in a timely manner.

kateu6
10/11/18

I am a longtime customer and I've had lots of experiences with Macy's, both good and bad. Still, I continue to buy here and am not planning on changing that. It's a classic that you can't really go wrong with.

lanef
10/10/18

You have to shop for real at Macy's and you will get a great sale. Loyalty pays off with Macy's if you know their merchandise you can get a good deal even in gold. They will make adjustments, and they often have trending items on sale. I just hope they keep their doors open and stop downgrading their sales merchandise CEO Jeff Gennette!!
More high-end designers mixed with mid-level products is what is needed.

chandrah1
10/8/18
• Updated review

It's no wonder that Macy's stores are on the way out. I placed an order online for two pairs of shoes. Picked up my box and went to the car. Before I drove off I double checked to make sure that I got what I had ordered. One pair (9 West pumps) was perfect. However, the Jessica Simpson shoes were dirty and worn. Not just "tried on" but literally had been worn and worn multiple times. There are visible toe prints, areas of dirt and stains, areas where the suede was rubbed and faded. I wasn't just disgusted, but I was also angry because I ordered these shoes to wear to a wedding this weekend. I would love to re-order, but I can't take a chance of not getting 'new' shoes instead of used shoes for a department store. I can go to Goodwill across the street had I wanted to get a shoe like that. Macy's, you really should be ashamed of yourself for even having this used dirty shoe in stock in your warehouse. Seriously!

“Love shopping at Macys.com”
5/10/15
• Previous review

Always a great deal! Always get great coupons! Always get quick shipping (or coupons for shipping discounts). Can't go wrong shopping here! Love the customer service also!

renees133
10/3/18

Purchased a mattress at Macy's a month ago (Labor Day Sale). They told me I had 30 days to return it. To return this item, it will cost me nearly $1,000.00. Greedy commercialism! I was not told by the salesman before I made the purchase. When I spoke with the agent on the phone about the return, she said that they have it posted in the mattress department. I NEVER saw it posted anywhere, it must be hidden inconspicuously somewhere. BUYER BEWARE.

debrab251
9/29/18

I tried for five days to order from Macys.com

I finally called customer service who pulled up my order. They did not know, via the order, that I had a $12 discount due to a promotion, did not know that I was ordering via a registry, did not know there was a gift message included, etc. So, after five days of trying to order online and waiting over 10 minutes and three times of being transferred from one operator to another, I hung up and ordered my gift from another company. Such a shame. Macy's was always my favorite go-to place for anything I needed. No more!

tl100
9/26/18

I've had very mixed experiences at Macy's, both in stores and online. It's an SF standby - an old, classic, less pretentious, mid-level department store. In SF, it's considered a bit old-fashioned, and maybe a little uncool - definitely from the era before the hipster invasion and over-gentrification.

Macy's in SF is a lot of immigrants and shoppers who are motivated by sales and coupons. It can be a little "dangerous" shopping here because clothes/accessories veer on the more dated and matronly - though you can find very on-trend things here as well.

Macy's is an SF establishment - there's a major tree lighting every year, where the area is filled to the brim with boring young people, and lots of events throughout the year, like the Flower Show, Pride, the SFSPCA kitten windows, etc.

Their giant flagship store has a lot of stuff - a very substandard Starbucks with a great view of Union Square, and some trendy eateries that come and go. Their Impulse section seemed like a great idea, but I think they've really failed to build it up and make it anything. They've recently added a Last Act to a high/top level of the store - but I wonder if they'll close it soon due to lack of customers or profit.

Every winter, they have a lackluster Holiday Lane at a top level, with pretty bad, conservative-looking holiday knickknacks.

Supposedly, you can get good deals at Macy's, but I wonder if that's a thing of the past. It seems their products, both online and in store, are a little high-priced for what they are. And again, you run the risk of looking a little dowdy if you buy from Macy's - the selection just runs a little in that direction.

Service is dismal, like everywhere else in SF. Employees, as usual, are going to be super-nice and attentive to some customers, and rude/ignoring towards others - based on physical appearance and ethnicity. It really doesn't matter how you dress, how well-groomed you are, etc.

Customer service over the phone, for online orders, can be pretty lacking.

Macy's is a pretty dated place - definitely not part of the newer, techie Millenial hipster SF. Despite it all, I give it 3 stars because of its lack of pretension, its many established events in SF, and its very wide variety of offerings.

Tip for consumers: More expensive than it should be. Merchandise runs a little dated and matronly. A major SF establishment/standby. Terrible service in person, depending on your look and ethnicity.

khemg
9/18/18

I AM THE REGULAR CUSTOMER OF MACY'S I SPENT AROUND $5000-$7000 PER YEAR TO BUY CLOTHES FOR ME AND FAMILY BUT I DONOT LIKE THE CREDIT
CARD SERVICE OF MACY'S I PAY IN TIME BUT THEY SHOW PENDING IN MY
ACCOUNT, IT IS NOT YET CLEAR, THEY SEND ME THE EXTRA FEE FOR LATE
FEE , I TALKED WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE , SHE SAID IT IS OUR MISTAKES
SHE SAID IT TAKES ONE OR TWO TO FIX IT,THEY DID TWICE IN MY ACCOUNT SO I NEVER GO TO BUY MECY'S, THEY MESSED UP MY CREDIT SCORES

I really can't answer about Macy's stuff, not a constant buyer from them, but their merchandise is considered bona fide for the most part, wouldn't you say so, especially for those prices, call Macy's and ask them personally

By Addie Y.

I can answer yes as I have purchased 2 MK bags and they are real; the best sale @ Macys for xmas is Super Saturday Sale weekend BEFORE xmas. Buy now (inventory will be very low by that weekend) and return receipt or actual merchandise if necessary and get markdown. I have found the associates are not trained well regarding even sale dates (sorry but nothing but customer service problems and poorly trained associates) so if necessary, refund the item, and have associate rering the item at sale price. Most sales @ Macys EXCLUDE additional discounts on MK and designer items so the friends & family 25% off (I purchased a MK coat at a great price) until Dec 10th is probably your best sale. If the item won't be used prior to xmas, just keep checking in on all new sales and return item and rering at better price. Be careful with online orders at Macy's, if something goes wrong and an online associate has to correct it good luck. You can speak to a supervisor at the Customer Service # and get help.

By Deborah E.

All I can say about shipping is I live in The United States and I ordered one item and it took 19 days to even leave their facility to be shipped out. Who knows if or when I'll ever receive that item. I'm not the only one that has complained about this. If I were you I would find it somewhere else if possible. Unless you don't mind waiting over a month to get your order.

By Julie M.

Questions? Get answers from the Macy's staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Macy's