Review of JCPenney

rkeller@jcpenney.com
2018 Customer choice award

connies102
7/29/17

I had my haircut at the JCPenney in Visalia California and it looked like she used a weed eater on my hair I must say it is the worst haircut I have had in my life and I am over 50 years old do not let this woman cut your hair she is the only African-American woman who works in the Visalia JCPenney salon and you will regret it. after you get a haircut there people are going to think you got drunk and used the hedge clippers to give yourself a haircut I wish JCPenney would get people in there who knew what they were doing they're going to get a lawsuit one day

db152
7/27/17

I ordered 11 clothing items online. It took about 3 weeks for my order to ship which I found very long in today's online shopping environment. About 6 were great and a great value. Five were sort of cheap and I returned them to the local store with no problems. I will order again.

ramonaw3
7/24/17

I am being treated like a criminal for to many returns. I have had a receipt for every single return I have made, yet I was flagged. It's embarrassing to have a cashier then a manager tell you they can't return clothing that doesn't fit for 180 days. I always charge, which should be proof I am not shop lifting. Last year I spent $3000 on my card at Penney's. I am stuck with clothing that doesn't fit...again I always have a receipt or bag the order comes in.
I purchase for myself, my 3 children and my 3 Grand Children. I'm done with JC, we are building a new home, I'm buying my appliances and blinds elsewhere.

ajmm
7/20/17

On June 23rd we ordered a Samsung dishwasher from JCPennys to be installed, and paid for everything with a JC penny card over the phone- including dishwasher, supply cord pack, installment fee, and the hallway of the old washer. July 3rd was the set delivery date., and this was an anniversary gift to one another. The delivery truck came to the front of the house on July 3rd and took out a very "dented and damaged" dishwasher that clearly could not work. The delivery people loaded it back into the truck and drive away. After many attempts and lots of hold time, I called and needed to set up another attempt. Another delivery date was set for two weeks later, July 12th. The new dishwasher came in, but this time different, reluctant delivery men said that they could not install it. They claimed, "There is no request for installation in the order, We dont have the materials we need, and "We only install with copper pipes because we are afraid of breaking the plastic ones..." (Mind you our kitchen is fully updated with modern pipes and the original dishwasher is only an 8 year- old traditional 24" Whirlpool; thus the second attempt was also a fiasco!) At this point I was so angered and frustrated from taking 2 full days off of work to accommodate the 4- hour window 2-week time frames for delivery, and I attempted to call JC Penny's yet again but was put on hold for 74 minutes! When there was an answer, the person on the other end was somewhat illiterate and unable to pronounce my name, my city's name and was very slow at understanding the matter, often misquoting me while listening; therefore, I requested a supervisor. After holding for another 22 minutes, a supervisor came on. I explained the issues again in detail. She said that she would need to contact the delivery people to see what the issue was. She promised that I would hear back from her within an hour, Now, I was waiting again. I called at 1:20 and it was now 2:50... I decided to try my luck and call back with the same number and the extension that she gave to me earlier, and after waiting another 31 minutes, the supervisor said she was still trying to make contact with the delivery company. I called back, waited on hold again and eventually made contact. I asked 3 simple questions: Is it possible to buy a dishwasher from JC Pennys and have it installed in a normal house with normal modern pipes? 2. When can I have the dishwasher that I paid for installed? 3. Will I receive some type of compensation for the delay and aggravation? The supervisor said, Yes to all the questions but had no specific information for me, yet promised to call back before 5pm. She did at 5:15 and informed me that the dishwasher could not be installed because of what the Reliable delivery people said is plastic piping and now I will need to cancel the order with JC Pennys.. Will that be a problem too? Or will I end up seeing a charge on my JC Pennys account that Im now strongly considering closing also? As I waited on hold again, the next day, trying to cancel the order, I couldnt even get anyone on the online chat from customer service. And what about some compensation for the two days I took off from work? What about the headaches of waiting on line and all the false promises from this month long fiasco without a dishwasher? This total fiasco ended up with wasted time, frustration, and as of now- no compensation. And In the end, was it the lack of communication between the people on the phones, internet, actual store, and rickshaw delivery company that JC Pennys subcontracts to? Thanks JCPennys. Our family used to be able to trust and depend on you. Order # 2017178540036200 will now try to be cancelledWe are indeed just another number in a sterile warehouse of incompetency and tact that lacks appreciation, knowledge, and concern for customers (I mean numbers.)

sabyy
7/18/17

Worst Customer service of whole world. Wasted my money is one thing, said wasted more than 15 hours on customer service for one order, which should have gone through without a singel minute call. They just don't care.

janetg63
7/15/17

I ordered some items online. Went to have items expedited shipped to me. It would only let me do free shipping. Then I started having my account debited for a subscription to free shipping.com. I never authorized this and they have debited my account three months in a row. Free shipping refuses to cancel, Penny's and my credit union refuse to help.

karlah12
7/10/17

I ordered 10 bottles of shampoo and conditioner online. JCP.com packaged the bottles without sealing them or taping them in an way. Naturally, the bottles opened up during shipping and all of the liquid poured out into the box. The package was completely soaked. JCP doesn't provide an email address or any way of returning a package other than calling them or doing online chat. I chatted with them and they requested that UPS pick up the ruined package. UPS picked up the package and ended up discarding it because it was too soiled to ship. According to my credit card company (I disputed the charge), JCP refuses to refund my money because they say UPS is responsible. UPS says that I should contact the sender - I cannot open a claim. Currently I am out $108.00 because JCP finds it acceptable to throw a bunch of bottles in a box without anything to keep them closed. I order hair products from a variety of sellers and have never received any that were packaged as poorly as these. No wonder they are going out of business - they definitely deserve to!

michaelm609
7/3/17

Worst rings and jewelry service, quality I have ever known. I purchased a very nice wedding ring for my wife, or so I thought....
After buying the insurance, having it sized and everything the ring breaks due to shody work so I send it back in and get it fixed then the ring causes my wife's finger to break out and turn green...wtf...
Store manager tells me she might be able to get me store credit but after weeks of searching in different locations and online my wife can't find one she likes and now I don't trust the rings they have as being of good quality and I can't get my money back too purchase anouther ring for my wife!! WTF!?! Don't buy from JcPennys anything over 100$ especially any expensive jewelry it's all garbage and a rip off!!

teresay7
7/2/17

I made an online purchase and had to return - 4 weeks later no refund - called their customer service, the rep says this happens a lot. They don't provide tracking info with their return label. Turns out JC Penney has a Better Business Bureau rating of F! Nearly 100 negative reviews and 3 positive. I had no idea they were so shady and I won't do business with them again.

jodym34
6/10/17

Tried it twice both times I was unimpressed with my photos. I was rushed and didn't feel appreciated as a customer. I was told if I didn't like my photos I'd have to reschedule and come back. As a customer I feel that was insulting. It took me all day to get me and my kids ready my sister came over to do my hair it took me a week to find outfits. What do you mean come back another day and try again? This was both times. But this time I just about cried because of disappointment. I put so much effort into our outfits only to be rushed out. The lady asked how I wanted to pose rather than show us poses. And usually for one shot atleast 3 photos are taken and then the best picture can be picked. This did not happen. We received a total of 12 pictures of different poses to chose from but no multiple snaps of the same one to make sure everyone smiled no one blinked. Awful

kathyb143
6/5/17

I purchased so things and I was very happy with my order I usually don't order online so I thought I would try it and I liked it thank you I would rate this a 10

aryellar
6/2/17

I have never had such a bad online shopping experience. I ordered 4 pairs of sandals on sale and 5 days later they told me that two pairs were not available anymore and that my order was in transit and not moving at all and I would probably never get my order. So they had to reorder the ones that were actually available still even though they were on the website and gave me "express shipping", which actually was like 5 days later. Never again will I order from this company! They have really let their standards go.

eleanors13
6/1/17

I ordered items on the 21st of May, it is now the 31st of May, I have called in 3 time to check on them. I was told that someone made up a packing slip, but never shipped them. I was not told we are sorry and will see that they go out right away.
I was told they would credit my account for the items. I did not want credit I wanted the items. If you make a mistake clean it up. This person should be fired. I have had an account with J C Penney since 1967.

carlam50
5/20/17

Waited patiently for my order after three weeks I called they said it was shipped. Waited another week nothing, called 48 minute wait to talk to someone, following day 18 minute wait finally got to talk to a real person can't find anything about my order I wanted to ask her a question and she hung up on me. No wonder their stores are closing. NEVER AGAIN!

ginad47
5/18/17

The store in Evansville Indiana is a mess! Clothes on the floors, making it a safety hazard and racks of dresses not separated by size that are too full! The dressing rooms have clothes on the floor and the rooms are too tiny especially since they put a big chair in each one. The prices are way too high too. I picked up a pair of ordinary cotton capris and they were $48! It was a joke. Plus the clothing selection is very outdated and in a lot of cases just plain ugly. I finally went to Walmart and was able to purchase a pair of capris and a pair of shorts in the same quality of the Penny's merchandise for less than I would have paid for one item at Penny's. I don't plan in going back.

deboraha48
5/15/17

Online ordering is a joke, they have it in stock ,then a week later while your waiting on your order, they credit your account and said it was not n stock to send it to you, know email tell let you know , after holding on the phone 35 mins so you can be told that never shop with you again, been a customer for years

nancyh164
5/15/17

SINCE WHEN CAN A COMPANY NOT CANCEL AN ORDER FOR A CUSTOMER? CANCEL IT IF IT IS AN ERROR, MY ORDER IS GOING TO THE WRONG ADDRESS AND THEY REFUSE TO HELP ME REROUTE OR CANCEL THE ORDER. i GUESS SOME STRANGER WILL ENJOY MY ORDER. I DONT EVER EXPECT TO SEE IT AGAIN. NEVER EVER JC PENNEY AGAIN !!!!!

christinaf38
5/10/17

I have been a loyal customer for about 6 years. I pay my cc off every single year. In the beginning, a cc limit of $1200. Than a couple years ago they lower my credit limit after I paid it off as usual, to $300. So, I didnt shop with them for a while. I recently decided to give them another shot. Im shopping online and go to check out with an error of "not all items in bag qualify." Ok, i get. Now im spending time trying to review and delete items from my shopping bag which i have no problem doing with numerous stores online other than JCP. They quote this experience is a breeze. Ha! So online help comes on and I tell her my issue. She askes me if I have signed in, which I answer with, I will try again but A breeze, my ass. She tells me that they dont tolerate the word "ass" and ends the convo. I have been trying to check out for several days with the same error messages. I had 18 items in my bag. Guess what. I will be payimg this cc off and they will no longer have my business. Have a blessed day and your service is the worst!!! May want to work on that if you want to stay in business.

pata36
5/8/17

I absolutely love the Adona night gowns! I have four of them! They are SO nice to sleep in. I personally would not buy anything else.

pissedoffj1
5/7/17

I placed a order today and as I clicked "place order" I realized I made a mistake. I called the Minnesota call center (800 322-1189 Like it states on the website) and asked to speak to a manager to cancel my order. She told me if I take more than 4 seconds between placing a order and trying to cancel it there's no way to cancel it. How is that humanly possible? I asked to speak to another manager and they left me on hold for 15 minutes. Finally when that manager came on she said the same thing. I then used the chat service and told the rep what the manager said and all she said was she was wrong that if its not done in 5 minutes or less they cant cancel it. Yet it shows its still in processing on a Sunday.. I doubt the information stated by either rep was correct. I am paying off my credit card and will NEVER use Jcpenny for anything EVER again.

holliem26
5/3/17

I haven't shopped at JCPenney in years. I had a credit that I wanted to use & went way out of my way to go their store. I went in & found the item I wanted to spend the credit on. The said my card was too old to show the balance (even though it's just a plastic card & it was only a few years ago I got it). They said I had to call their customer service phone # myself & have them transfer the balance to a newer card. I very politely explained I drove really far to come to their store only with the purpose of using this credit. I told them I can't drive all the way back again. I asked them very nicely if they can please assist me in calling customer service while I'm in the store. They said I had to call myself. So I sat in the store & called the customer service line literally over 5 times with no answer from a human & for some reason, there was no option to speak to someone. I told them no one was answering the line so could they please assist me. They literally told me there was nothing they could do. Seriously?!? I literally begged them to do something because I wasn't leaving the store without using my credit up. I'm not kidding, they just continually told me they couldn't do anything! I said the phone # doesn't reach a human, it's just automated.
I received zero assistance from their employees. All they did was told me to call that number again & which #s to press to speak with a human. I called again following their directions & again, no human. When I went back again to the employees I explained the whole situation & they didn't do anything to help me except say to keep calling that's #. Oh my lord, are you kidding?!! I finally said we can't sit in the store all day calling & if they're not going to help me, can they at least give me some kind of online coupon / discount / free shipping etc so once I get this all figured out I can order online because I can't drive back. They said they can't do that, I'll have to ask when I finally speak to someone on the phone.
Definitely offered me zero assistance, the customer service phone # doesn't really work.. And when I got home I go on their website hoping I can start by emailing customer service so I don't have to keep dealing with their useless phone #. Wouldn't you know... JCPenney doesnt have a customer service email... of course they don't!
Thankfully they do have the live chat option (so odd they have live chat but no email address?). I live chatted with a representative & they were finally able to assist me. They told me my gift card had been deactivated (they shouldn't be deactivating gift cards!) & they would send me a new gift card in the mail with my balance on it. At least I finally got it worked out, but after a lot of headache & frustration.

JCPenney struggles because of these exact reasons! Why in the world would I want to shop here when I can go anywhere else & every other store on the planet lives in modern times with humans answering their phones & they have this new fangled thing called an email!
Jeez JCPenney... get it together. No wonder you're always on the brink of going out of business.

abigailk8
4/28/17

I brought these shorts they were buy one get one for 1 cents I got them,got home one pair did fit ,so I thought I would just take them back a exchange them a pair that fits, we'll the cashier today I had to buy to more pair which I think is really dumb,it will be along time till I shop in your store again

laurae46
4/14/17

I ordered product on line which was promised to be delivered in 4-7 business days. After 15 business days and no product, I called the store and they had no record of my order. Called 800 number, sat on hold for 15 minutes, then the lady accidentally hung up on me. Called back, got someone else, and she and her supervisor have no idea what happened to my order and suggested I try to cancel it. Not possible to cancel my on line order on line or on the phone, so i have to go into the store to do it! So frustrating. Will absolutely never order from them again. Antiquated order system and terrible customer service.

antoxak
4/10/17

There's a few clothing items that in retail dont get carried all the time, bali bras and Mixit tights (yes I know they are for juniors but they fit still lol). Anyways it's easy to get stuff there.

jfw
4/10/17

This is 2nd and last time I'll order online from Jcp. Before you order they say you'll receive April-6-10. Then 1 wk later they say Ups has received, & will send to usps days later because under 10pds, so I'll receive on April 12th. This is 7 clothing items, that I needed by 10th. Talked to supervisor & they can do nothing. Never ordering jcp online. Hate website if I forget pswd so many ads with reset doesn't show. Customer service is a joke...

82 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney