Review of JCPenney

rkeller@jcpenney.com
2018 Customer choice award

to11872
11/12/17

I was about to complete an online purchase of dress shirts. JC Penny had a by one get another for a penny promotion. The website wouldn't apply the promotion I thought I was entitled to. I began an online chat with an agent who identifed as "Florence." It turned out the shirts where slightly different categories, which would void the promotion. Florence was generous enough to agree the apply the promotion anyway. For some reason our online chat was disrupted. I accessed the chat line and this time "Arlette" answered. She said "Florence wasn't available. I told her what happened. I explained what happened. She claimed to have discussed the event with "Florence." For some reason, "Arlette" refused to honor my conversation with "Florence."
The whole episode was frustrating, time-consuming and nonproductive from a customer service and customer retention perspective. I have been a lifetime customer of JC Penny's. I've been rooting for this company since learning of their dire economic problems for which it appears that they will not survive. However, the shoddy way I was treated is perhaps symptomatic and predictive of the causes of their potential demise. JC Pennys seems intent on shooting themselves in their own foot.

Until I see a sign of an improvement in their customer service practices, I will not shop there again.

T. Overby

tresac1
11/7/17

I have been a loyal customer to JCPenny for 2 years. I always paid my bills early, on time or in full, but since June. I have fallen ill and been in out and of the hospital, sometimes there for 5 weeks t a time, so a few bills got paid late. Plus I haven't used my card 2 times between June to Aug. but not since Aug. so they closed my account on me. It took me 10 years to recover from a divorcee to get a few cards in 2016 now because of a few late payment to other companies they do not want to give me my card back. When I called customer service they said "Yes mama you have been an outstanding customer but because what the credit bureau says we can't give you your card back". This makes not since when a person is a loyal customer and has not problem with them that should be the first thing they look at, not what has happened to other companies. JCPenny should look at me as a loyal customer until I shop other wise,, so now instead of me shopping there I will never shop there again because they do not care about the customers. JCPenny you are the worst.

jamieg61
11/3/17

Website is easy to navigate; large selection of products, return policy is great, store pick up is a convenience. Delivery and shipping is affordable ad fast.

amandam234
11/2/17

Quick shipping and lots to choose from at wonderful prices. Better than shopping in the store. Cant go wrong

johnm937
10/25/17

The handicap men's restroom at the JCP @ Meadowbrook mall in Bridgeport, WV seems to have personnel who can't install toilet paper correctly; keep feces from the floor and walls, making sure the toilet seat is attached properly.

stevieg5
10/24/17

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH AND I WANT TO TELL EVERYONE TO NEVER ORDER FURNITURE FROM JCPENNYS!!! MY ORDER WAS PLACED SEPT 4, RECEIVED SHIPPED EMAIL SEPT 9 AND I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE MY ORDER. CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR THE PAST MONTH AND AFTER EACH TIME TOLD WE ARE LOOKING INTO IT AND THEY WOULD CONTACT IN 5-7BUSINESS DAYS (THIS HAPPENED OVER AND OVER) UNTIL TODAY I CALL BACK AND THEY TOLD ME ALL THEY CAN DO IS CREDIT MY ACCOUNT I CAN TAKE THE RISK (YES SHE SAID THAT) TO REORDER AGAIN!!!! NO ONE OFFERED TO REPLACE THE ORDER AGAIN AND FOLLOW IT THROUGH AND MAKE SURE I WOULD RECEIVE IT (ALSO TOLD ME NEVER TO TRUST THE ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE ON THEIR WEB SITE AND THAT THOSE ARE NOT SHIP DATES TO THE END CUSTOMER THAT THEY SEND IN THEIR EMAIL THAT SAYS SHIPPED). THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE AND AFTER ALMOST 2 MONTHS OF SLEEPING WITH NO BED (BECAUSE I ALSO ORDERED NEW MATTRESSES FROM THEM AND RECEIVED THOSE RIGHT AWAY) I RECEIVE NO HELP FROM THEM BESIDES CREDITING MY ACCOUNT FOR MY ORDER! THEY BASICALLY MADE THEIR COMPANY SOUND LIKE A TERRIBLE COMPANY AND NOT REASSURING TO EVER ORDER FROM THERE AGAIN. I WANT ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO KNOW DO NOT PLACE ORDERS THROUGH THIS COMPANY!

pats250
10/22/17

Purchase a pair of Sketcher online, however, two days later they told me that its on back order which is fine.Then the canceled the order without calling/text me, no apology. Went in my email looking for something and I saw that my order is canceled they no longer have the item.

I call and asked for a manager, this young lady name Shawnese were so RUDE to me. When I ask her for the manager she stated "I AM THE SUPERVISOR " she refuse to let me speak to someone other than her rude ass. Will spend my money with JCPENNY AGAIN!!!

tanyong
10/20/17

I just love the new selection clothes for women it 's has been a while since shop at the website Customer Service was great Janice was very helpful.

sherrym68
10/18/17

Love the instant coupons on the website . Was fast shipping . No problems . Could navigate a bit easier .

robertc395
10/16/17

Want to thank Jcpennys for the great customer service they provided for me great service and very prompt couldnt ask for anything more

nc62
10/16/17

Wiregrass location(Jose) would not honor a price match with receipt for an crew t-shirt in store purchase within 5 days of original purchase date and looking to purchase 7 more of the same shirt in different colors. I was told to call customer service to see what they could do for me. Called customer service (Hennesey) and they would not help honor the price either. Left on hold for 20 + minutes to be hung up on by Hennessy. Why does this have to be so difficult!

eliser6
10/11/17

I ordered something online but found a better deal somewhere else so I tried to cancel the irder that I just placed. I ordered as a guest but definitely wasn't treated like one. I talked to customer service and they informed me that I could not cancel the order. Then I realized that the store the item is being shipped to was 4 hours away from where I live so I asked if they could change the store it was shipped to but again they said no. They were very rude and unapologetic so much that I just burst into tears because I was so frustrated. Never doing business with JCPennys again.

rubym48
10/10/17

J.C. Penny's is an awesome place to shop! I bought all my kids clothes
There when they were young. The customer service is good. Their inventory of items is huge. Shop J.C.
Penny!

maryc362
10/6/17

I will never ever do business with JCPenney again!!!! NEVER
I ordered a sofa and chair online. When they delivered the furniture they forgot to leave the paperwork & warranty. The sofa they delivered looked much darker than the one I ordered. I called them the next day and asked them if they could check to make sure that the correct item was delivered. I explained to them that I was aware that sometimes when you order things online that the pics do not always match exactly with the actual color. I told them that as long as the correct item was delivered That I would be content with they left me with . They told me that they could not check to see if the correct item was delivered and that even if they could there would be nothing that they could do about it. They told me that because I accepted the delivery that it would be my fault if it was the wrong item or color. I spoke with a supervisor and a manager and was told the exact same thing. So I guess that JCPenney can just drop off anything they want. It doesn't have to be the item that you ordered. They assume no responsibility whatsoever. The funny thing is that I eventually found a serial number on a tag underneath the couch and once I googled it I found out that it was the right color. What's not so funny is there ended up being a very small tear on the arm of the sofa that will probably just get bigger. They sent someone out to look at the sofa ( 2 months later ) . After he walked all over my white rug with his dirty tennis shoes he told me that even though there is a 1 year warranty on the sofa they probably won't do anything about it because they said I probably tore it myself. I told him that I was going to report them to the better business bureau and any other agency that I could come up with. His response was " Oh they don't care about anything like that." They have been reported numerous times besides, they are getting ready to go out of business. " They are a horrible company! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

calicos
9/18/17

ITS TERRIBLE ..THEY DONT GIVE U 30 MIN.LUNCH UNTIL U WORK AFTER 6 HRS AND THE MANAGEMENT TREATS U LIKE CRAP ............

clelias1
9/15/17

I bought a shirt and I paid $28 whenI got it the sticker said a $8.97 on clearance, I called them and they didn't want to help me

rebeccas187
9/14/17

I just picked up my purse which I ordered through JCPenney app. I'm in love with my purchase. Very fast shipping with a very little shipping fee. Their prices are extremely reasonable. JCPenney makes it very fun, hassle free and convenient to either shop online or in store. I am highly satisfied shopping with them!!!

joannel58
9/8/17

I will never order from jcpennys on line again. The worst customer service n after 2 weeks of waiting. I was told my item went to Rhode Island n they did not find a solution to fix the problem. Never again. The worst on line ordering n customer service around

lindseym53
9/6/17

But I did find something I liked, it took well over a week to even ship an item weighing less than 2 ounces and was charged $8.95 and cannot get an answer about why there's been such a ridiculous delay. I am STILL waiting for my item to arrive, and all they've done is print a shipping label, I can't even get an estimate for when it will actually arrive.

jenniferm399
9/5/17

My husband order living room furniture a month ago they said it would be delivered today between 4-6 pm well 5pm they called and said that they where in NY we said no we are in NJ well now I have no furniture until they can set up new delivery day after Friday well we work have a toddler with autism and no more patients left and your delivery company was very disrespectful someone should get my furniture to me

cassr5
8/30/17

After several recent transactions with JCPenny on line, I can tell you this...
I would give them no stars if I could
Your order will get screwed up
After they screw up you will be on the phone for an hour listening to repeated "I We apologize..."
They will not fix it by doing anything to make it right!
They don't have a place to do an online reveiw of their services...that should tell you something!
Buy on line from some one else ...if you can

elizabethg127
8/27/17

They sells stuff they know is out of stock, they are aware of the issue and refuse to fix it. They actually told me to repurchase the item I had already purchased to see if it would ship this time as it was still being sold a week after I had bought it and was told it was out of stock. However it was not on sale anymore and I still had not received a rebate on the one I had already bought.

lauras265
8/26/17

I was at Sephora in Deerbrook mall area with my teenage daughter and we were treated very rudely by Mary who wasn't very happy to be there or helping customers. Her attitude made us go to complain to the manager but nothing was resolved. Me and my daughter are very good customers at Sephora at the galleria store which has always been very professional, Sephora should choose it's employees with a higher standard. Very disappointing

kelvint9
8/24/17

got a credit card from jcp [penneys] everything was find until this year try using card online and nothing try resetting password nothing called customer service total waste of time and you wonder y there closing stores .go figure by the way they cant say i don't pay on time because i have a 100% on time record .paying my bills will take business elsewhere.have since closed account.

Tip for consumers: beware!!!

vanithay
8/18/17

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE . lot of miscommunication . send wrong color dishwasher and and delayed delivery and couldn't get a proper response from them for the inconvenience and stress i went through .no one picks up the phone in the appliance section and nobody is at the desk in the appliance section to assist you. Never going to order any appliance from the store.

82 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney