Review of JCPenney

rkeller@jcpenney.com
2018 Customer choice award

rebeccap119
12/22/17

I ordered a Christmas present for my husband online from JC Penney on December 7, 2017 in plenty of time for Christmas (or, I thought, anyway - everything I ordered from other providers was delivered within 1 week of ordering). I had it shipped to the closest JC Penney store (in Centerville, Georgia) for pickup because I wanted it to be a surprise. On December 9, I got a notice that it was shipped to the store and to wait for an email from the store for a pickup date. I also got a notice from my credit card company that JC Penney charged my account for this item. I also signed up for text notices on my phone. After nearly two weeks of waiting, on December 19, I called the 800 customer service number and was told that the item did ship, and had been received by the store on December 18. I was told that someone at the store had signed for the item. I drove the 75 miles (one-way) to the Centerville JC Penney store (because our local store had been closed - no small wonder, considering the poor service JC Penney has been providing lately), and at the store was told that no, my item was NOT there and that they were having problems with their shipments. The store clerk called someone to confirm that the item was not there. I drove the 75 miles back to my home and called the 800 number again, and was told AGAIN that the item had shipped and had been received by the store on December 18. I contacted JC Penney again on Twitter #askJCP and was sent this message back on December 20 - " We are sorry for the miscommunication. Your order shipped on 12/11 and it typically takes 4 to 7 business days to arrive at the store. Once your order arrives at the store you will receive an e-mail notification to let you know that your order is ready to be picked up. We are going to e-mail you a $20 e-giftcard for the inconvenience that you have experienced" Today is December 22, and I have yet to receive a notice to pick up my item, nor have I received the $20 e-giftcard,
which I don't even want because I'll never buy anything from JC PEnney again. What I want is my husband's Christmas present delivered before Christmas or my money refunded. Not sure how to go about doing that, however.

vanessaa42
12/21/17

Long story short, ordered an item on 12/04/17,JCP website stated it shipped and out for delivery by 12/13. Called on 12/14, the rude, inexperienced customer service dept (after hold times in excess of an hour) then informed me that the item hasn't even left for delivery. So it's now the 21st, item still just sitting in warehouse. I am unable to cancel this order and they are unable to give me any shipment information. Customer service stated "I am not sure what else you want me to do". Needless to say, I will not get this item by Christmas, which is what it was intended for, a Xmas gift. Also, needless to say, I will NEVER shop online or in store at JCP again.

nataliee27
12/20/17

I ordered a recliner on 11/22, the ONLY reason I ordered was because they said they would schedule delivery by 12/18. It's 12/20 and I spent 2 hours on hold only to get disconnected. All I want is a number to schedule delivery. I am reading the other reviews and now I'm seriously concerned and, again, ON HOLD.

kristins35
12/19/17

Never shop with JCPenney, BBB complaints and proposed resolutions that they promised but never followed through. Im done with them.

barbarah207
12/18/17

How a company like this stays in business? I think it's because they offer such great "deals" online; however, this is what usually happens (I fell for it THREE times): Order 1: Never arrived. Called customer service. Waited 65 minutes. They said it was on the way. A lie. Never got the item. Never got a refund. Order 2: I got the item; however it was a different color than what I ordered but whatever. However, when I looked at my bank statement, I realized I had gotten charged the FULL price of the item, NOT the advertised discount. I called but when it said "wait time currently 83 minutes" I hung up. F that. Order 3: After 3 weeks still waiting. LESSON LEARNED FINALLY. I'm never shopping here again. I think they are just trying to grasp whatever money they can before their inevitable irrelevancy...just like Sears. Go away JCPENNEY YOU SUCK.

chadc50
12/14/17

This was the worst online shopping experience of my life. I ordered this bracelet on 11/27/2017. The bracelet was shipped on 11/30/2017. The bracelet was "expected" to be delivered on 11/12/2017. I called customer "service" on 11/13/2017. There was a wait time of 50 minutes. Thereafter the rep said the package should arrive tomorrow. It didn't arrive so I called customer "service" back. There was another wait time of 50 minutes. The rep said the package should arrive tomorrow. It didn't so I called customer "service" back. There was, yep you guessed it, a 50 minute wait. The rep said the shipper is behind so the package will arrive next week. I asked for a refund because I can't wait to receive the gift that close to Christmas. All of a sudden a supervisor got on the phone and magically gave me the UPS tracking number and told me the package would arrive today. Why couldn't the first rep give me the UPS tracking number?? UPS truck arrives and I"m excited to see the bracelet I bought my wife for Christmas only to find the package was empty. So I gave the envelope back to the UPS driver and asked why the envelop was empty. The UPS driver found a slit in the envelope indicating the bracelet was stolen. I refused the package and called customer "service" back. As expected, I waited 60 minutes and talked to a supervisor. I am now waiting for my refund.
Why does customer "service" have such a long wait time? Why doesn't the chat work? Why isn't there an online option for customer service?? Why would JCP ship a $1,300 bracelet in a cheap envelop? Why wouldn't JCP provide a tracking number when the package ships so I can track my package and try to be home instead of leaving the package on my front porch?????

Never, never, never again will I buy anything from JCP.

janellej9
12/13/17

Do not order items online. The products may not exist. EVEN if you're choosing the option to PICK UP in store and the site indicates such are available, there is VERY LITTLE GUARANTEE those items are in stock. After placing an initial order, with some items being shipped and choosing to have some AVAILABLE for pick-up in store, I received notice HOURS later that 8 of 10 items are in stock at the store location where the site told me to pick them up. So, then I decide to go online and order the other 8 items to be shipped to my home. Just got notice, there's a change in my order status (this after working the new order through an online customer service rep) ... meaning the items aren't available at all. This doesn't seem like a big deal but I was ordering similar items for three daughters, now I've hodge podge items. And, of course, the two items that can be fulfilled at the store, I now have to trek to go pick up. BOTTOMLINE: Even if you place your order there's no guarantee those items even exist. RECHECK and DOUBLE CHECK your email because even if you get a confirmation initially, the order can and will likely be cancelled by JC Penney. BETTER YET, do not order from the site AT ALL.

prakashv
12/9/17

Spend an hour to get to the customer service to talk about a delivery issue on a furniture order online. After an hour of waiting transferred to furniture department and waited for another half hour to talk to someone.

Not sure how they are still in business!!! Stay away, there are lots of options out there.

sparkyp2
12/8/17

This is a great place to shop, good quality products and with sale prices and coupons everything is a steal would recommend to everyone

audrag2
12/4/17

I have been patient, kind and today your lack of customer service and lies was the final straw!! called 4 times to resolve my order being placed on my online account, an email confirmation of my order e-mailed to me and having my rewards points put onto my account and having the ability to track my order. I have been previously told; I have to wait 24-48 hours for my order AND email AND the online account/order to join together 2x, that they would email a confirmation of my order 4x and they NEVER emailed it until the furniture department finally did it!!! The customer service representatives lie, telling me the account would join on its own in 24-48 hours. When I bought the mattress it said I would be contacted by December 5th for delivery. When they FINALLY send me the order confirmation email, it now states I will be contacted for delivery by December 12th!!! They lie telling me that I can use my points for the Black Friday sale! They lie telling me I can also combine coupons with the rewards points on Black Friday - I waited and waited and STILL NO POINTS - My order has NEVER reached my online account!! I can't track it! I can't see it!! I have been gaslighted by your customer representatives and your furniture department. The furniture department representative tried to gaslight me - I told her I wanted an email confirmation OF THE ORDER SENT TO ME THAT no one HAS YET BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH sending me a damn email!! She said she wanted me to show her some respect! I said, excuse me?! When am I gonna get some respect and get the email I requested 4 times now?? And then she gets snippy/snarky. I said Yeah, I want an email sent of my order - silence. And I said hello? And she begins saying what do I want? I said I'm waiting. She said for what? I said for the email. She gaslights me saying but you never asked. WHAT??!! I asked for her supervisor and was placed on hold. THAT conversation was also crappy customer service!!! I asked to speak to the furniture floor manager's supervisor and she told me she doesn't have a supervisor. So I asked for the manager over the furniture department and she states he doesn't take phone calls. So I said, "so you lied to me just now, you have a supervisor but he/she doesn't take phone calls!" I am fed up! I will never shop with you again and I am returning what I bought!!!!!!!

chrisj204
12/3/17

I made a purchase on black Friday and found the items for half the price at Kohls. No problem right, jcpenny price matches within 14 days if you have the ad? BULL$#*!! I go to the store and they tell me they don't price match. After going home and looking it up it says to call for online orders. When you call (AND WAIT FOREVER) I'm told they do price match with Kohls, Great right? No, shetakes the item numbers from me and looks up the current price at Kohls. When I tell her I have the ad from Black Friday she says I have no way to verify that price.
The items will be returned and I will no longer deal with this lying company!

mikaylak2
11/28/17

This is the WORST experience I've ever had ordering online with any company.
I had placed an order online with JC Penney with multiple items. When I received my order I was sent a necklace that I did NOT order in place of one that I DID order. I contacted JC Penney customer service over the phone, only to be told that I had to drive to the nearest JC Penney, (30 mins away, hence why I ordered ONLINE) return the incorrect necklace, get my money back, and with that money, buy the correct necklace I had ordered in the first place....NO KIDDING. Thinking I had spoken to someone who was inadequate in customer service, I called again 2 days later, where I was told the same thing. I then was able to talk to the supervisor who told me it's their policy for me to send it back, wait the 3 week process (which is what the second person I talked to told me) that it takes for me to actually get my money back, THEN they'd send me the correct necklace that I ordered....absolutely insane..mind you this necklace was $7.99, not some $400 diamond necklace I'm trying to have sent to me, and it's a gift I don't have time to wait around for.
They are sending me the correct necklace now, but I still have to go to a post office and drop off the ugly excuse for a necklace that they sent me. My advice is to NEVER order online from JC Penney, if you too receive the wrong item, it will be a hell of a lot of work for you to get the right one. It shouldn't matter if the nearest store is 2 hours away or 2 minutes away, JC Penney sent a customer the incorrect item, and they should make it right, not have the customer go out of their way to get what they ordered in the first place, and their customer service is an absolute embarrassment. Do not order from them EVER, try Amazon or a company that actually values their customers!

benj1370
11/28/17

I have called four times to get a refund, been lied to and told I would get one, never have, now they tell me I cant get a refund, very frustrating.

jaimeg32
11/27/17

Customer service is the last priority for JCPenney's. Horrible experience in there portrait studio that bears their name. They tried to pass the buck saying the rent out the space. Corporate is unless can't even handle an angry customers. They don't care if they lose business after 14 years!!

williamb327
11/24/17

Bianca was our salesperson on our purchase of two Sterns & Foster mattress sets.

She had the product knowledge and very helpful in insuring we were get the best product for our needs. She was not in any hurry to make a sale but had our best interest at heart.

I have been to all the so called mattress stores here in Naples, Fl. but they could not compare with Bianca service and pricing.

If you want service and selection on bedding go to JCP in Naples, Fl and see Bianca.

Bill & Connie Bishop

sylviac25
11/23/17

I ordered a curio cabinet from JC Penney which was delivered damaged and without the shelves. I called to report to JC Penney customer service and they told me I had to order a replacement. The next morning, the delivery service bought the shelves which they had taken in error, so I decided to keep the damaged curio since I did not want to wait another 2 wks. I called and cancelled the order placed the nite before and was assured it would be canceled and I would receive a cancellation notice. When I didn't receive the cancellation notice, I called another 3 times and finally was told the order was definitely cancelled. A wk later, I was charged for another curio. When I called customer service, I was told it would take minimally 10 days to research and refund my $258.00. Since I charged on my American Express, I will probably be paying interest before it is resolved. I will NEVER order from JC Penney again. THey join the ranks with Home Depot and Lowes. If I could rate a 0, I would.

todda5
11/23/17

I purchase all of my TALL clothing here. You cannot get a better price anywhere. ALL of my size 14 shoes are purchased here. Their coupons give me the best price on shoes. Great customer service. ZERO COMPLAINTS.

chrisv64
11/21/17

Shipping is too expensive, $5 item cost me $8.95 to ship...a single tshirt...You literally have 10 minutes after an order to cancel it, or you cannot cancel, and you have to call them on the phone within that 10 minutes and make it through automated crap in time to cancel...their customer service is evasive, rude, and poor, Their website super sux...even if you refine your search to same day piuckup,k your still presented with items not available for same day pickup...These jerks charge you a fee to have something shipped to the store for pickup! Even if they already have it in stock, you order online, theyre charging you that ship to store fee! Finding something free same day pickup even after refining your search to such, is a waste of time...nothing that comes up is available for same day pickup...The shipping is super slow for how expensive it is...often more than the cost of the items being shipped...Wat too many other retailers have free pick up at store, even if it ships to store, the shipping is free and so is the pickup...anything I want is on Amazon, and they are 500 times better in every way than this dump dying company! Hurry up and throw the towel in JCpenny! you treat customers terribly and charge them every step of the way....go out of business scumbags.

nickb141
11/20/17

JCPENNY $#*!ING SUCKS!!! DONT EVER SHOP HERE. AT LEAST DONT ORDER FROM THEM. EXPECT YOUR ORDER TO BE LOST OR STOLEN!!!! IT WILL NEVER BE DELIVERED. IM $#*!ING PISSED.

shirleyb115
11/19/17

I called JCP furniture only to be on hold for 35 mins and then to only be told that MXD delivery had not informed JCP that they had picked up our bedroom set this past Monday. Shawn, the manager finally gave me a processing of refund reference number. He said it can take ANOTHER 48-72 hours for our refund, our money to show back on our JCP Card. Yet another delay. Our money has in fact been hijacked and we are no longer willing to be lied to and put off by JCP. $4800 dollars may not seem like alot to JCP but it very much is to your customer. I will be posting this on every media outlet and source available as well. We were faithful customers and all we got was lies and disrespect!! #jcpenny #jcpenney #jcpennys

kathys195
11/13/17

I had ordered a pair of vans online. I had no trouble ordering them until I received an email saying that they had to check the inventory. It did not say if they were out of stock , just "checking inventory" I received this email a total of 3 times. I decided that I would go to a separate store and just cancel my order. I called the customer service number and the woman was incredibly rude, she told me they were going to ship past the day they were to have been arrived at my house. They finally came days later and the box was torn to pieces, with a whole side missing, please for the love of god, save yourself the trouble and go elsewhere, really anywhere else.

to11872
11/12/17

I was about to complete an online purchase of dress shirts. JC Penny had a by one get another for a penny promotion. The website wouldn't apply the promotion I thought I was entitled to. I began an online chat with an agent who identifed as "Florence." It turned out the shirts where slightly different categories, which would void the promotion. Florence was generous enough to agree the apply the promotion anyway. For some reason our online chat was disrupted. I accessed the chat line and this time "Arlette" answered. She said "Florence wasn't available. I told her what happened. I explained what happened. She claimed to have discussed the event with "Florence." For some reason, "Arlette" refused to honor my conversation with "Florence."
The whole episode was frustrating, time-consuming and nonproductive from a customer service and customer retention perspective. I have been a lifetime customer of JC Penny's. I've been rooting for this company since learning of their dire economic problems for which it appears that they will not survive. However, the shoddy way I was treated is perhaps symptomatic and predictive of the causes of their potential demise. JC Pennys seems intent on shooting themselves in their own foot.

Until I see a sign of an improvement in their customer service practices, I will not shop there again.

T. Overby

tresac1
11/7/17

I have been a loyal customer to JCPenny for 2 years. I always paid my bills early, on time or in full, but since June. I have fallen ill and been in out and of the hospital, sometimes there for 5 weeks t a time, so a few bills got paid late. Plus I haven't used my card 2 times between June to Aug. but not since Aug. so they closed my account on me. It took me 10 years to recover from a divorcee to get a few cards in 2016 now because of a few late payment to other companies they do not want to give me my card back. When I called customer service they said "Yes mama you have been an outstanding customer but because what the credit bureau says we can't give you your card back". This makes not since when a person is a loyal customer and has not problem with them that should be the first thing they look at, not what has happened to other companies. JCPenny should look at me as a loyal customer until I shop other wise,, so now instead of me shopping there I will never shop there again because they do not care about the customers. JCPenny you are the worst.

jamieg61
11/3/17

Website is easy to navigate; large selection of products, return policy is great, store pick up is a convenience. Delivery and shipping is affordable ad fast.

amandam234
11/2/17

Quick shipping and lots to choose from at wonderful prices. Better than shopping in the store. Cant go wrong

82 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney