Review of JCPenney

rkeller@jcpenney.com
2018 Customer choice award

darlenek41
8/9/18

I saw a notice about you possibly going out of business, and this really saddens me. Jc penny's has always been my go to store. This is just my opinion, but I am an older lady 50, and the store as far as clothing now is geared more towards younger shoppers, and Penny's is just not a store where the younger crowd shops. Why someone has not figured this out and gotten nicer newer things for middle aged and older crowds, I don't get it. There is no longer any type of customer service, Years ago we could come in your store and get women to help us put and ensemble together for an event, if we needed help.. Now we have no customer service, we stand in long lines with untrained rude people at the register. I would really love to see you all turn this around. I'm ok with shopping online from time to time but I still love coming in the store to shop. I wish you all luck! Saddened in Tacoma, WA.

lh141
7/1/18

I doubt they will be in business much longer. I tried ordering online and picking up at the local mall. The mall employees I dealt with were good helpful in customer service BUT NOT THOSE you reach on their Customer service number? I was missing 2 items from my order and they called in about it and that woman was absolutely clueless? They told her to mail the 2 missing items to my house but a month later nothing arrives and I got no update in my emails or contact info? I called up after the hoopla of end of school/graduation time today to find out that their story is the 2 items are out of stock, they were returned (although I explained over and over again that clerk didn't want me to get charged twice, it was an override saying that I didn't receive the 2 items) and since I was on hold so long, I did see the credits on my account. Obviously, there was some mistake but nobody wants to hear about it, admit to any error and the best part, don't expect any "sorry about that"? Wow, well they certainly deserve to lose business to the likes of amazon who excel at customer service and when they close down, oh well. I spoke to the customer service rep and a supposed manager but neither had any decency to really help nor say sorry about the whole situation? I tried to help fix their problem so it doesn't happen to anyone else but none of the employees at the customer service/management really care. Stay away & be aware!

heathera58
6/19/18

I placed an order at Sephora in my local JCPenney store for a CoverFX Contour kit since they didn't have it in stock and I had a merchandise credit from a previous return. I gave the sales clerk my ID with my correct address and she entered it INCORRECTLY. I realized this as soon as I received the order confirmation. I called JCPenney to update my address but was told that they weren't able to assist me, I had to wait until it was shipped and to call UPS to update my address. UPS informed me that Sephora wouldn't allow the address to be updated. So I called JCPenney back to have the package returned and my money refunded. It's been over a MONTH of back and forth frustrating phone calls between Sephora and JCPenney and I still don't have my money back and/or the contour kit I ordered. I will NEVER set foot in JCPenney ever again and if I purchase from Sephora going forward it will be from them directly. HORRIBLE customer service!!!!

nicolew155
6/18/18

I've purchased curtains/rods, towels, socks, blue jeans....a balaclava...a hiking hat. Loved everything! It's easy to just walk in or shop online and pick it up in the store. Really love JCPenney's!

miguels73
6/2/18

I have a bad experience with the jcpenny appliances. We bought a stove and they told us that they had professionals to connect the stove to the gas and we paid $100 for the installation, when they came to install it they left gas leaking and my family, 2 dogs and I for 4 days inhaling gas. We called MN energy but they couldn't do anything because they said that it wasn't their job since that day, Friday 25 to this day we haven't been able to use the new stove because jcpenny wasn't responsible of the gas leak. We have gone 3 times to the Jcpenney appliance center and they only give us phone numbers to call and don't help us whatsoever. They are a company of liars. If I could give this no stars I would. The managers of appliance center are clueless, it's unbelievable!

martyp26
6/1/18

I placed an order - item on sale with mfr rebate. They confirmed the order and even sent me an email saying "order has been shipped - with a tracking number" UPS never received the item. So I called in and they told me they lost the item. They re-ordered - and after I complained that due to their screw up the mfr rebate period had expired - a supervisor discounted my order = to the value of the rebate.
Fast forward 3 weeks...
They send me an email "your order has been shipped" with a tracking number. Again the item never reached UPS (when I queried the tracking number) - I called in and they advised that the order has been cancelled due to product no longer being available. Supervisor told me no substitute item available "Too bad so sad - case closed"
An hour later they send me an email "Your item is back in stock" if you wish to re-order. I try to re-order - out of stock.
What a screwed up company.
Sears in Canada went bankrupt partially due to sh*tty service like this. JC Penny is headed in the same direction.

pamelam216
5/19/18

Dont ever call their customer service. I had called them about an online order and was disconnected in the middle of the conversation. When I called back I got someone who was extremely rude and refused to put me through to a supervisor and was hung up on again. She clearly didnt want to be doing her job and was the rudest customer service person I ever spoke to. I wont give this store anymore business. Terrible!

ritah66
5/11/18

ordered towels for a mother's day present, was shorted, called in and was promised they would be over nighted to me so i would have them before mother's day. get a notice will be here on Monday, day after mother's day. called and spoke to 4 different supervisors and did not get this resolved and was finally given a pitiful $5 credit. what a joke!!! apparently you cannot trust this company to do what they say they will do, customer service is non existent with JC Penny. they should have refunded the whole amount of the 2 towels they shorted me and said keep them for your trouble. this would not be a big issue, most people would have just went to the store and got them there, but i am disabled as i told them and cannot get to the store. so this was and is a BIG stressor for me. what happened to keeping your customers happy and doing the right thing?

sylviaw34
4/18/18

Ordered a dishwasher; they use 3rd party to deliver, and then their delivery company uses 3rd party to deliver. Everything was messed up! Just trying to cancel the order took over an hour of my time because of all the 3rd parties involved.

billw149
4/9/18

Quite pleased with the Cook's toaster oven, works very well. Where JC Penney failed completely was with the rebate, this is why I hadn't done a rebate in over 5 years prior to this scam. Never received the rebate never was a working method to check on the rebate. JC Penney so desperate they now deceive customers. Crooked.

jm70
3/26/18

Read all of the reviews about delivery of JC Penney Furniture items. They never deliver anything. I ordered a mattress and a chair many months apart. I could never get delivery on either. Just absolute insanity from customer service, to the point that it felt like I had to be on Punked. I think the whole point is to take people's money and then keep it, at interest, for as long as they can without issuing a refund. They are propping up their failing business with this fraudulent sales scam. Even when you finally cancel in exasperation, you still aren't going to get a refund for as long as they can possibly string you along. And don't believe that they are "subcontracting" delivery. There is no actual delivery service. It's just JCPenney's personnel who know the game and are doing what they were hired to do: keep your money for as long as they can without refunding it. They put you on hold over and over for 10 - 15 minutes per time and then hang up on you. They transfer you around, but no one can ever get in touch with anyone. They can't ever answer a question. They say they'll call back but never do. You leave messages but they never return your call. And every call you make, no matter what the number you call or what location they might claim, is exactly the same place.
They use different names, but you are dealing with the same people. They know what they are supposed to do and they all do it. They stall. They have your money and they are going to hang on to it for as long as they can. Believe me when I say this: you are NEVER going to get delivery. And, you aren't going to get a refund for a long, long time.

carolp137
3/24/18

I usually do not shop on JCP.com but decided to give it a try. I received an email stating that my order was ready for pickup at the store. I went to the store only to be told that my order was not there yet. The employee's only explanation was that they send emails all the time saying that orders are ready for pickup when they really are not and for me to try back in another 3 days. I called customer service and the rep that assisted me said that everything in their system was saying that my order was at the store. The rep tried contacting the store twice. The first time he said they hung up on him. The second time he was transferred around to different departments and then disconnected. After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes, all he could say was to do what I was told and try going back to the store on Monday. Needless to say, I will no longer be shopping on JCP.com.

winne7
3/21/18

I order online frequently from JC Penney, and for the most part the services have been satisfactory. But recently I had 2 problems with delivery to the store and it was frustrating. I usually have items delivered to a nearby JC Penney as that is free shipping and I just go to the store to pick up my order. If I order more than one item everything usually come in at the same time so I just make one trip to pick up. Lately items in the same order comes in separately so I have to make 2 or 3 trips to pick up. I can accept that as the store isn't very far from me and I like shopping at the store. Last month I ordered 3 items and 2 came in at the same time so I expected to make one more trip to the store to pick up the third item. So I waited and waited for the phone call from them to tell me my order is ready for pick up. I waited for 3 weeks and no phone call. I then went to the store to follow up. I went to the online pick up counter and asked what happened to the rest of my order I thought maybe it was delivered to the store and is sitting in the backroom buried under other packages. He checked on the computer and the backroom and did not find anything. He said maybe the item was on back order and will be here soon. How much longer am I supposed to wait? That was not a satisfactory response. Finally he called over a manager and she said she will return the item then reorder it again and give me free shipping so it will ship to my home. Ok so the item arrived at my home within one week. Why did it get here so soon if it was on back order?? That's a lot of work just to get the jacket I ordered. I really like the jacket so that made it better. More recently I ordered 3 items but I paid the shipping costs this time. This is very out of the ordinary for me but I did not want to make 2 or 3 trips just to pick up the items. So again I received 2 items shipped separately to my home and the third item was MIA. I waited for 4 weeks this time and nothing. Again I went to the store to follow up. After searching on the computer and the backroom they had no idea what happened. A manager was called and she found out the item was cancelled and was never shipped. What? I said who cancelled the order and why, I know I didn't cancel it. I never received an email saying this was cancelled. I got no satisfactory explanation. So I wait 4 weeks just to find out some idiot cancelled my order and I was not notified. I looked it up on line and the item is still available so they just screwed up. I did get a refund. I think I will still order online from them because they have excellent sales that is just online and the quality is quite good. But I advise them if they want a larger share of the online shopping market they better clean up their act. For example, Macys has free shipping for $49. JC Penney requires $100 to get free shipping.

moniquer4
3/12/18

I went to JCP to purchase a spring jacket. I get to the register and tell them that I have a military discount to the cashier who is checking me out. The cashier next to him gets this attitude and says, "No don't give it to her because we can only give it on Veteran's day." The cashier tells her that he's never heard that before and I also ask her when did it start because I was recently there and the cashier I worked with then was the one who told me about it and to be sure to ask about it because some cashiers don't know they give it. I'm getting this information from someone who has Vets in her family. The cashier continues to argue with the cashier that is checking me out, then she says, "Give it to her if you want to but I'm not getting in trouble!" REALLY JCP? I didn't realize my husband, who is currently deployed only serves the country on Veteran's Day. It's good to know that over the last 21 years of service that he's only served 20 days according to your policy. I take issue with any business that treats our Veterans like crap and this was crap! It would be 1 star, but the cashier still gave me the discount in spite of what the bitter cashier had to say. And the fact that she was going to argue with him in front of a customer...terrible customer service.

heathera72
2/18/18

I places an order online for almost $300. 20 minutes later I called back because I realized I needed the items before they were to arrive. The rep told me that she only has a 10 minute window to change an order, I just placed it 20 min ago! So here I am, paying almost $300 and offering to pay extra for expedited shipping and they say no, you are 10 min too late!? It takes 10 minutes just to find the customer service number, call them, and talk to a live person!!! Poor poor service if you ask me.....

debk36
2/15/18

I wish I could give it zero stars. I ordered 3 items to be picked up at my area store. Two of the items came in, i was charged for the 3 items, but the store won't release the items unti l all 3 are in. But the 3rd item is out of stock! I've made calls to customer service and the store with extremely frustrating results. Penney's will be out of business soon is my predection as they cannot keep up with the big boys

charnelm
2/14/18

I placed an order on February 1st to have the item shipped to The Mall @ Prince Georges and I havent received my order nor would they refund me my money. I called the customer service line and they couldnt help me that much. They have tried calling the store no one will answer any of the departments lines . As a result I have called and faxed a letter to the corporate office. I have never seen anything like this . This was my first and last time ever ordering anything from them. Im giving them time to contact me before I take my story to the news.

karenp212
2/14/18

I made a very large purchase online during a big sale promotion with free shipping, etc. and was extremely disappointed. The shipping said standard 5-7 days or something to the extent that it might take close to a week but instead it took over a month. I had ordered items specifically for my vacation but was not able to because of the delayed delivery. I called customer service to find out where the order was and they said the items were out of stock or back ordered and they were waiting. Thats what free shipping gets you. I asked for some compensation and was offered a coupon towards my next purchase which I passed on. I would rather drive to a store than wait a month or more. Boo.

maryannr21
1/27/18

JCP at Roosevelt field in LI NY. Went to spend a gift certificate, ended up in mens shoes. needed help and not a single employee was on the entire 2nd floor of this major department store. This isn't a kmart or target I expected better, hell even at those discount stores you can find an employee. Needless to say I will not be shopping their again and i plan on telling everybody i know about how JCP has gone down hill and not worth the shopping trip. IN OTHER WORDS DON"T SHOP AT JCP.

kates133
1/23/18

I have never been so unsatisfied with an online purchase before. We ordered a mattress during Black Friday... and it never arrived. Calling JC Penney's ridiculous customer service support did nothing. Waiting on hold for hours got us nowhere, only to be informed it was up to the distributor to deal with our purchase. The distributor simply refused to deliver it. Every week they would say they were scheduling routes the next week. FOR TWO MONTHS. Finally we called to cancel it, and after months of waiting we were now without a bed for months, and screwed because we missed any opportunity for a sale. Unapologetic, they offered nothing but a refund, no acknowledgement of how much they put us through. I will never purchase anything ever again from them.

debras135
1/22/18

JCPenney is unable to provide the simplest of services: deliver and install a microwave. The microwave arrived damaged; the installer unboxed it and could not install it, due to the damage. UNBELIEVABLY, JCPenney is requiring ME to communicate with the manufactuer, Samsung. They are requiring me to speak with SAMSUNG to arrange pick-up, and then I am supposed to call-back JCPenney to let them know that Samsung has it. And only then, will JCPenny process a refund for the microwave. Meanwhile, JCPenney has my money. And I still do not have a new microwave (using my old one still).

I offered to personally return the microwave to JCPenney store, ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY HOUSE. But they refused. Instead, JCPenney is requiring me make all these phone calls (which I have to do on my lunch hour only), to MISS AT LEAST ANOTHER DAY OF WORK, waiting for pick-up, not to mention all the time I have already wasted. I told JC Penney I would have to miss a day's of work, and please can I take it back to the store myself, and she said "NO". I asked JCPennney if they thought they should do something to compensate me for all this inconvenience, missing work, and making all these calls, and STILL not having a microwave. JCPenney said "NO." I have the phone convo recorded -- unbelieveable! When The main problem, I believe is that JCPenney is taking our money for major appliances, then sub-contracting to all these other companies (separate delivery company, separate installing company) BUT then when something goes wrong, they are unwilling to accept responsibility - They blame everone else. And, in the end, they can't even come to a resolution themselves -- They punt the issue, finally, to the MANUFACTURER, in this case, SAMSUNG.

It took HOURS of phone calls, and HOURS of then chatting with online reps. It toook HOURS, and communciating with MULTIPLE reps, to at least get them to refund the installation!! But, they still won't refund the microwave itself until they have it -- but they WON'T let me return it! I have to miss work, make more phone calls -- And still, I have no microwave.

I believe JCPenney is doing harm to people.

jinyoungc
1/12/18

I will be very happy when JCPenney goes out of business. On 12/31/2017, I ordered JCPenney merchandise in the amount of 127 dollars. JCPenney happily took 127 dollars from my bank account, but never bothered to ship the items that I had ordered. I have yet to receive the merchandise that I ordered from JCPenney. JCPenney claimed that my order would be delivered within 4 to 7 business days. JCPenney has the absolute worst customer service of any major retail corporation. Although JCPenney merchandise is an excellent value at affordable prices, I will never again buy anything from JCPenney. JCPenney has absolutely no excuse for stealing my money

candib2
1/9/18

My elderly mom purchased my son a pair of Levi's for Christmas but chose the wrong size. I went to the store in Chino Hills, California to simply exchange the jeans for the correct size and was told that without a receipt an even exchange could not be made!!! The best they could do would be to give me a store credit for the lowest price which was $8.93. These jeans had the original tags and everything. What kind of store will not simply exchange the exact same jeans, just a slightly different size????The management should be criminally prosecuted because this equates to stealing. Happy holidays from the folks at JC Penney.

christineh54
1/4/18

Now I see why JC Penney is going out of business. Yesterday I contacted their customer service for my mother to ask a question about the model # of a major appliance. The representative was extremely rude, short tempered and could not answer the question. She said she would need to contact the manufacturer which is Samsung, I stated that would be fine because I needed to know why their model number was different from other stores that did not have a /AA after their model number. She then went on rudely to say there would be a 45 minute hold. I said forget it, Needless to say they lost the sale.

joshiv
12/30/17

Asked JCPennys about the status of my recliner delivery, they failed to provide a status. Customer service kept up the excuses and the executive customer service along with its CEO is AWAL.

82 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney