Review of iBuyPower

City of Industry, CA 91746, US
2018 Customer choice award

willt14
12/6/18

I have been purchasing computers from iBuyPower for over a decade. The latest system they sent was put together by a child. First Customer Service put me through to Tech Support then Tech Support put me back through to Customer Service. The second guy hung up my call, forcing me to go through it all again.

First obvious problem? Assembler didn't remove the port guards. So literally HALF of my USB ports were unusable. On top of that, fans not working, screws bent and forced in stripping the CASE. Even the graphics card was installed at an angle. The case lighting controls (neither the included remote, nor desktop software) never worked, and honestly I just wanted to turn it OFF. Despite this I tried to make it and just swallow the shoddy production quality. The audio on the motherboard kept crashing. Finally, LESS THAN A WEEK after receiving it, the RTX 2080 graphics card FAILED OUTRIGHT. IBuyPower's solution: send it in for repair.

Time line: minimum one week after receipt if a quick swap (so figure 2 to include it arriving and processing). I was happy to just try having them send me a new one that was put together professionally, but they said, "we just can't do it." So rather than keep the sale, they said, "your only other option is to return it, then there is going to be a restock fee". That's when I flipped and demanded a manager. Rather than put me through to a manager, they disconnected my call. I had to go through this all again with another customer service rep. When I pointed out to the second rep that there were no fees if returned within 30 days and I was just threatened with it, the best response they had was to offer the full refund like they should have in the first place.

God-awful build quality + lousy customer service = long time customer refusing to ever do business with them again. Nice job iBuyPower.

jacobp88
9/5/18

I was very hopeful after spending over $1500 on a pc. Unfortunately this pc did not even last me 6 months before I had to send it in for a repair! The shipping for me to send it to them was quite expensive about $300 after paying to make sure it was properly packaged, for it to get there in a reasonable time so that the total process of repair and shipping back doesn't take weeks (as recommended by the IBUYPOWER tech I spoke to), insurance on the shipping, etc. I contacted IBUYPOWER because I did not feel it was fair that I had to cover shipping to send it back to them when it was their fault for the malfunctioning pc in the first place. When I spend $1500+ on a pc I would expect it to last me longer then 6 months before becoming unusable. And I ya several other issues with it far before the 6 month mark when it totally wouldn't even power up properly. Contacted a customer service manager and he basically told me that I was "unlucky" because most of their customers don't have any issues at all. My point was that if most of your customers don't have any issues then clearly there was a mistake made or something was wrong with the pc they built for me so then why should I have to pay for their mistake when I had done nothing to cause the pc to have issues. The manager never tried to understand where I was coming from or do anything what so ever to try and resolve the issue. I recognized that I choose for a faster and more secure shipping than what the standard is so I wasn't even looking for them to cover the shipping completely. I would have been satisfied with them paying for a portion of shipping, a store credit, anything at all for them to just realize and take some responsibility or try anything to mediate the situation. The manager displayed awful customer service and continually repeated that I was just "unlucky." I would highly recommend going to one of their competitors as hopefully they will display and give you better customer service. The bottom line is that $1500+ should give you more than 6 months of use and if it doesn't the company SHOULD take responsibility for that without just chalking it up to bad luck and telling the customer they are out of luck!

haroldb53
12/27/17

Always buy my computers here. Much better than other computer companies (won't list here) because you get quality hardware.

alysrianx
10/5/17

Ordered 9/22/17. Two different computers. One was built, sent, and arrived on 10/2/17. We paid extra for 2 day shipping and rush order on both, they sent it via Fedex Standard (who kept it overnight on Monday, because can't deliver more than 18 hours earlier than estimated delivery). Total delivery time took over 4 business days, due to the shipping method they chose (totally not what I paid for!).

Second computer (mine), missing. Called on 10/2/17 to ask about it's location and what was going on with it. They claim it is being mailed out soon, and they don't offer nonstop updates on numerous computers in one order. Okay fine. Tells me I will get an email about when it will be shipped. Should be shipped by today (10/5/17). No email, so give them a call.

Am told that the order was lost. It is currently (after 13 days from order, and 9 business days) in "building". That they lost the computer twice. Lost the order, and then lost the actual computer itself but "inventory" found it. Will not be shipped until maybe next Monday (10/9/17). Supposedly 2 day shipping (I doubt they will send it that way, and it will take 4 days to arrive like the last one).

So, they lost my computer not once but twice and I paid for a computer that I still don't have. It will be a total of 15 business days (over 21 days) before I might have the computer in my hands.

PS. The representatives I spoke with have lied to me (first guy didn't even tell me it was lost and lied about shipping times), and talked down to me nonstop (second guy was not a joy). The final representative I spoke with tried to somehow pin the blame on me (not sure what his goal was there??? I didn't change my order or even order anything fancy). He had a huge attitude, and I spoke with a supervisor (after having to be "that caller" and demanding one numerous times). Supervisor said nothing differently, and did not even receive an apology. Like what.

TL;DR - This company sucks ass. Should have built it myself.

Called back and asked to speak to a supervisor, as nothing was accomplished. Third representative was just as short and rude as the second. Have been waiting on hold for a supervisor for over 55 minutes now.

Nothing has been accomplished and I am still sitting here wondering how the $#*! this company is still in business.

Update 2: Waited on hold for a supervisor for over an hour. Called back AGAIN (4th time today), and am currently waiting for a supervisor again. So far wait time is: 15 minutes.
Update 3: Spoke with the 2nd supervisor after a 22 minute wait time. This guy claimed they still had 1 more day (they do) to ship out my computer before being in breach of the contract. This is true, I asked him realistically how possible that was. He agreed was not possible.

So, the wait time for the computer is still the same and was offered zero apologies. I am paying for a computer that will take almost a month to get here. I got the added bonus that "women should not be in the computer field" comments. I made my husband handle the call from there, while I lost my $#*! in another room (that's completely disrespectful, I am a network engineer).

So, nothing has been changed. No apologies, and bonus insults. We were not offered a discount (as some others PMed me about asking for). We were basically told "suck it up buttercup".

We will never order from them again, and will build our computers from scratch instead.

davidk282
2/21/17

Good job guys, I love IBuyPower. Whene everything is okay, you can't tell different opinion like this

kev2491
11/5/16

Good thing bout this is u dont have to pay it full,. U can play n pay later. Got approved immediately.

brennann
10/25/16

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. This company is the worst-run company I have ever (unfortunately) had to deal with. I ordered a computer from them 2 MONTHS AGO. They sent me the computer and i received it in 2 weeks but the graphics card was completely broken. I emailed them and shipped it in to get a replacement part and IBuyPower gave me a shipping label to do it. The computer's front panel was broken in the shipping process and they call me and tell me that it's not their fault so i have to pay for a new one. When i told them that if they had given me a working computer in the first place, it wouldn't have been shipped back in the first place, the MANAGER of the customer service department first attempted to correct my (already correct) grammar...he did so incorrectly...in an attempt to try and belittle me into paying for this front panel. When i said that I shouldn't have to pay extra for their error, he told me "okay I'll ship your computer back to you broken." and hung up on me.

I can't imagine any employee let alone a manager talking to a customer like this. the customer service is absolutely horrible, you will end up paying more than what the actual cost says because they consistently try to screw you out of your money. You might think "oh customer service isn't a problem I'll never have to deal with them," don't fall for this. They hastily put together computers and put defective parts in computers. all of the wiring and pieces to my computer was so strewn around and had fallen out of place (or was never put in the correct place in the first place) and it was just awfully done. This is going to cause something to go wrong with your computer and you'll be on the phone with them and the next thing you know, they'll be telling you it's your fault and that you have to pay them more money. This is all they know. I don't understand how such a terribly run company with such awful management and customer service employees can even survive. Half of these "positive" reviews also look incredibly fake and probably done by the owners themselves. I have since received the "fixed" computer and the wiring is awful and this is the absolute worst job I have ever seen with putting computers together. Please don't buy from this terrible company. You'll only be supporting the idea that they can screw every customer over and lie and cheat their way into making money off of innocent people.

grego800
10/17/16

So I discovered this site while I was watching CS:GO tournament.
And I was overwhelmed buy how awesome they are.
You can buy a top notch PC, with basically everything you want. If you want a PC with lightsabers I think you can buy it here. And easy, just few clicks and TADA.
Yes they are kind of expensive but if you don't know how to build a monster PC yourself you paying exactly for what you getting.

Tip for consumers: You don't need to order the most expensive one if you don't like its design, just chose the one you like and look for optional extras.

mikhailb1
5/18/16

Not a fan of Apple products, too expensive for such phones

thomasm144
4/4/16

I had really wanted a new gaming PC for quite some time. After pricing out all of my wants I found that my PC would cost me about $2200.

IBuyPower constantly has great deals, so I put in all my wants and the computer came out costing me only $1800.

I would suggest getting the extra shipping padding though, as the US guy arrived he dropped my PC and broke a footstand. Ibuypower was supposed to send me a replacement for free, I haven't recieved it yet though. That's the only issue, customer service.

As for the computer itself, it works great. Best PC I've ever owned.

kellik3
3/29/16

Every company has its ups and downs hopefully after reading this they will go up We're giving them a 4 star rating for change and hopefully better quality builds and less failures out to the customers

We were lucky and we're still within the 30 day moneyback guarantee as it continued to crash watching videos Netflix YouTube Hulu the monsters TV show, The computer just kept crashing black screen etc

Issue number 1 ,When the computer arrived the LED lights had fallen out and we're laying inside the case. We took pictures of problems as well as other parts fell out.

Issue number 2, The computer crashes goes to black screen and makes a loud noise and other times it just goes to a black screen must restart the whole computer. We were watching the rock San Andreas just a movie on Netflix and The computer crashed black screen loud noise. We took videos of the above issue #2, The video Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB with G-Syn

Issue number 3, when buying a computer using PayPal from Ibuypower you must put in your name and Social Security number the way that they collect the information through PayPal check out only shows up on PayPal credit even if you have your PayPal account linked PayPal credit has been aware of this now and it is under investigation to change it. Currently when you buy a computer you cannot do a resolution through PayPal and PayPal credit will not link or show on the PayPal site. PayPal credit is trying to work on this and correct this issue.

Issue # 4, they have an ( F ) very poor failure, F rating for the Better Business Bureau, here is the link you can see it yourself,

BBB.org Business Review Overview Complaints Customer Reviews THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED iBuyPower.com On a scale of A+ to F 529 Baldwin Park Blvd City of Industry, CA 91746-1419 130 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 30 closed in last 12 months Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints Advertising / Sales Issues 6 Delivery Issues 8 Guarantee / Warranty Issues 13 Problems with Product / Service 103 Billing / Collection Issues 0 Total Closed 130

we did a lot of reviewing and through the reviews many people have spoken about Robert and had good things to say about him so we used Robert Chen and he was helpful.

We did try the online chat it took a little bit and the representative who answered the online chat session was Robert Chen. They do have a company picture of their employees on their website in the about them section. Hopefully will never have to use support but at this time we are currently unable to give you a solid review on the support because we have not used it yet.

After buying our computer, We received an email auto generated letting us know that Mike would be our main point of contact to the sale. we did called Mike and spoke on the phone we also called Robert and spoke on the phone. We did send both Mike and Robert emails but only heard back from Robert. We're not saying anything bad about mike, we just read a lot of reviews about Robert and people seem to favor him so we used Robert.

Any questions or information we called Robert and he answered his phone and email, Robert preferred to talk over the phone to answer any questions or problems we may have.

The computer was packed well and they put foam inside the computer case which was very nice because we did not purchase that option which was an option on the website the foam in the case should be a standard not an option when shipping out.

Our buying experience we had, This is based on our personal experiences Buying computers through Ibuypower.com

We hope this helps others when buying a computer

ryang40
1/14/16

I must say I was originally very open-minded about ordering my laptop from iBuypower. I made my order on December 4th, 2015 in time for their black friday deals. Of course the reason I bought my computer in the first place during this time was so that I could receive it before Christmas as it was a gift. While I commend their initial efforts to satisfy the consumer with a user-friendly interface on their website and the multitude of added bonuses in purchasing from them, I was very disatisfied with the ultimate shipping date of the laptop I designed which was on 12/29/15; this date was well after the standard free shipping I was lead to expect (14 days) and even the "free upgraded overnight" shipping I was later promised as recompense. Being a repeat customer of a company such as iBuypower who specializes in custom built computers, I knew the risk I was running but it was the constant shortcomings and false promises that really set me up for disappointment.

On the other hand, the associate assigned to me, Steven Wong, was a pleasure to work with. He was always professional and timely in getting back to me and never made my needs as a customer feel like they were unimportant. He tried his best to apologize for the current circumstances and make ammends for iBuypower's failure to meet my expectations. He even went out of his way to get me missing items from my order after I had already received the computer. Anyone would be lucky to be assigned an associate as dedicated and hard-working as Steven.

I realized that there would be an increased volume of sales during black friday and cyber monday and that the upcoming holiday season can make for an overwhelming workload for any retailer. This said, it still does not excuse iBuypower's deficiency in assembling and shipping their product in a timely manner and in accordance to their own advertised wait time. Anticipating the delay, I was prudent enough to order my laptop well before Christmas and I was still let down.

The biggest flaw of iBuypower aside from their slow rate of production/shipping was making false guarrantees that they could not deliver on and building further expectations with apologies and shallow promises in order to subdue my complaints and discontent.
Their product however, was up to par with what I was hoping for and even exceeded my expectations. All in all, I would still recommend iBuypower as a computer building company for their excellent customer service and the final product. My only advice to newcomers to iBuypower is this: be prepared to wait for several weeks or longer to receive your product even if your shipping time is "standard" or "expedited". Also be sure to scrutinize what you will actually be receiving with your build. Do not expect to receive all the advertised "freebies" on their website automatically as many are specific to only certain models and are highly dependent on a limited supply. If it was not "officially" listed in the configuration you set up before ordering, then expect that said items will NOT ship with your order and be prepared to jump through hoops trying to procure promised games, bundles, and accessories. If you are a patient person and you have a reliable sales associate, I have no doubt that you will be happy you went with iBuypower.

jratd
1/13/16

Tip for consumers: RUN AND HIDE! these guys are as bad as it gets, the only thing that compare are phone companies that try to add charges to your bill.

randomc
12/25/15

I've ordered my system almost a month ago, was being told excuses constantly as to why it's taking such a long time, finally I was informed that it would be a "Christmas Delivery Guaranteed, which means it will be delivery on or before December 24th" by Steven Wong. Today the 25th of December I still have not received my package or any notification, not to mention Steven Wong seems to be ignoring my emails and not answering his phone. I dont know how else to say this, maybe I just got the worst iBuypower representative but at this point I'm left with no package just frustration.

mikec142
2/12/15

I bought a custom rig from ibuypower and the graphics card didn't work. They sent me 2 replacements which still didn't work. Eventually I had to send back the entire pc for repair. When it returned it worked fine. Now it has been several months and all is good. At first I was hesitant to buy from them again but I think I will give them my recommendation. They were great about customer service and repairing everything.

ginas17
2/9/15

Bought a laptop from them a while back. Just before the warranty went out the laptop shut down and never came back on. After contacting them I had an RMA number. The repairs took a few weeks but I did get the laptop back fixed.

jasonk44
1/19/15

One of the few companies where you can customize a notebook to your liking. Great products.

paulv21
8/26/14

Let iBUYPOWER build your next computer if you want a Great One that Really Cooks! I've had dealings with their online tech support 3 times. Fantastic-knowledgeable-patient people. Thank God for good old fashioned Customer Service, no matter how scarce it is elsewhere.

Tip for consumers: No doubt in my mind, they build 'Hot' computers with awesome craftsmanship on wiring harnesses, detail, etc!!!

johnr200
8/26/14

Bang for you buck, the best buy for an optimized gaming or media system is the ibuypower pro series. I did all of the price comparison and if you are going high end their systems cannot be beat. Half the price of alienware with better stats.

joex2
4/29/14

Ibuypower sold me a pc and it had some problems because some components were loose after shipping. They walked me though how to fix it and it works perfectly.Best part of it all, I wasn't routed to an indian call center.

davidp116
4/16/14

Hands down one of the best PC companies around right now. I buy for our business and have been customizing our orders from them.

petert49
3/2/14

Never use Dell to customize a gaming PC anymore. They no longer have the parts you want. I have switched to custom rigs from ibuypower because of the large range of graphics cards, sound boards, and CPUs at a fair price. Other companies rip you off on ram and other upgrades which cost next to nothing to buy or install. ibuypower has fair prices and caters to the crowd who knows what they want in a gaming pc. I can't say enough good things about their computers, even their pc cases look amazing.

ianm18
12/7/11

Purchased a custom desktop from Ibuypower. The computer came very fast and was exactly what I ordered at an awesome price.

timothyg2
7/30/11

I have purchased 2 desktops from this site and my Dad has also purchased 2 desktops. What can I say when you find someone that does a good job and backs up their work you keep going back. The only problem was my dad received a dead pc because one of the video cards screws came loose and bounced around during shipment. after setting it up and watching it flame out Dad Immediately called them, reported a problem and had the rma in motion, upon their reciept of the computer they sent out a new model with updated gauges (to read cpu and case temps) and a nicer video card in way of apology.

I cannot give any cons for them as I have allways gotten great service and the delivery I have asked for. The machines I have ordered through them have allways been well built and still are being used daily after 4 years for one of them and a year for the other, dad had his for five and just ordered a second. To me for the hardware/software you get make them an outstanding buy for the money with no bloatware to speak of, just a great machine at a damn good price.

25 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

30 days that's it must be in the 30 day return window that is the current policy changes. After 30 days working or not it's your computer

By Kelli K.

They help but it all depends what is wrong. lots of people have complained in different ways so depending on the person you get and what you are trying to do. Take a good look at the Better Business Bureau check out the companies before you buy from them. Most companies would help you or walk you through putting in the video card especially if you bought the next video card from them. The biggest thing we can say is try to buy a computer where the computer company is closest to you so if something goes wrong you don't have to do a lot of shipping. Run the hell out of the computer for the first three weeks before the 30 days is up. Video cards run those games especially the heavy ones like call of duty takes a lot of graphics check the computer. If your computer crashes or has black screen for the video card crashes often return the computer immediately. Don't let any of the companies talk you into keeping it or trying to fix it

By Kelli K.
Questions? Get answers from the iBuyPower staff and other customers.

11 Photos for iBuyPower