Dell

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Dell has a consumer rating of 3.5 stars from 370 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Dell also ranks 13th among Computer sites. The most common issues with Dell are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 30.2%

• I've had my dell inspiron 11 3000 for almost 2 years now and it still works as great as the day i got it.
  • i have used dell1320 for 3-4 years and so far it is good.
  • 2018 Customer Choice Winner

• Dell has the worst customer service in the universe.
  • To start, I received a brand new laptop that had a bad keyboard right out of the box (12/11/2019).
  • You tell them that tech support (or whatever department) said that CUSTOMER SUPPORT WAS WRONG and THEY MUST HELP!
How would you rate Dell?

“Nice service and good products”

Hiley P.
2/14/20

I has some troubles regarding the warranty but their support service was polite and courteous. I've fixed everything and keep buying from them.

“Unreliable product, no support”

Kelly j.
5/13/20

Dell inspiron laptop purchased Feb. 2019. Feb. 2020 (2 days before warranty was up) motherboard fried. No spills, no dropping, no power surge, worked one day, did not the next. Repair takes over 2 weeks. No machine for 2 weeks. May 13,2020 stuck on "preparing auto repair" screen. Try to get dell support and am told no longer under warranty, nothing they can do. They send self diagnostic video instead. Will never buy a Dell product again.

customer service (62) laptop (121) tech support (11) computer (80) customer support (10) order (44) credit card (6) 2 years (6) 5 years (5) 3 hours (5) 3 weeks (6) gift cards (3)
kellyj256
May 13th, 2020
hileyp
February 14th, 2020
juliec980
June 19th, 2020
Dell has the worst customer service in the universe. My lcd screen cracked after 1 month and I understood it wasn't under warranty. But i spent 15 hours just to find out were to send to repair. Five people disconnected me. The voice recognition doesn't recognize voice of numbers or office vs home and they kept giving me the wrong numbers. If I had know before spending 5 hours I would have smashed it with a hammers.
rezgars
March 7th, 2020
I bought my first laptop with one month warranty. Laptop is good!
Then another laptop and keyboard but returned them and after one month got my refund.
I wanted to unsubscribe my warranty but Dell has terrible website and I couldn't.
I told three different persons in costumer service that cancel my warranty.!
But still Dell is charging me. Had to block Dell from my credit card!
jays687
June 10th, 2020
I do not recommend this laptop at all. I bought this brand new to discover that the fan is loud, replacement parts weren't in stock which prompted Dell to send a refurbished laptop. I accepted how naively of me, and of course the blue screen of death appeared and also bit locked. Well Even though I bought this over a year ago I hung up the fight and still to this day fan is loud, slow response, and I can't believe I'm still paying for this computer. I hope someone from Dell sees this and reached out.

Tip for consumers: Go to a place where you can actually see and speak with someone to test drive the equipment

snowqn
July 30th, 2020
It's really a good laptop, specifications are correct and Performance is very good, 10th gen processor i5,8GB/1TB at 14inches is worth the price
Both windows and office are genuine and should be activated online.
Please check the video for Office student pack activation. Backlight keyboard not in the specifications and Bag is not included with the product. Read the details properly.
davids3052
February 25th, 2020
Dell quality has really gone downhill. An expensive latitude laptop I purchased stopped working after about a month. Technical support and warranty support were utterly incompetent and seemed to operate with the sole goal of grinding down customers until they gave up
randym401
July 2nd, 2020
Purchased a system worth over $4000 on May 25 with a June 26 delivery date, A week later and the date was pushed back a week, now just before it to be delivered I get an email saying it'll be another 4 weeks. Talked 45 minutes with customer service and finally they blamed COVID 19. I don't think COVID 19 put the delivery dates on Dell's site. If Dell has a supply problem then they need to adjust their delivery time to account for this not use bogus dates that they can make. COVID 19 is bad, DELL hiding behind it is sickening. Order was finally cancelled, no longer a DELL customer..
adamw405
June 10th, 2020
Dell does not care, do not order anything from them. I ordered a £1,700 laptop which didn't arrive. I am now faced with dealing with a call centre in India, and have now been told to deal with the police. Such a rubbish company, with no support, or customer care. I will never deal with this company again, so be warned.
katec175
June 18th, 2020
Dell computers. What can I say? They are HORRIBLE terrible equipment, really bad customer service, inept technicians, need I go on? Best quality? They have none. They know how to say "not my job" and pass you along where you sit on hold for over half-an-hour to be passed along to someone else who will not help you but pass you along to another person AND you get to explain the situation for the umpteenth time. Well, that is to say, this is the sort of service you get for personal/ home computers, I cannot give comment on the business computer side.
saras616
January 17th, 2020
Here is my honest opinion about dell.

If you are one of the few who receive a perfectly good dell computer and you have no issues, great.

For the rest of you, be warned, Dell computers have a multitude of issues some repairable, some not.

I ordered a dell xps 13 top with all of the bells and whistles. This laptop is rated the best for your money. It wasn't cheap, about $1600, but i thought it was worth it. Two days after receiving the laptop everything started to fail. The fan is incredibly loud and sounds like I'm standing next to a river and the computer actually doesnt work. It can not locate the internet. Here is the major issue. I called dell, was put on hold for over an hour. Technical support walked me through everything to find the solution. We even did a factory reset. The result, no fix, a waste of 2.5 hours and waiting for a new motherboard. I called back the next day to discuss getting my money back and I was placed on hold for over an hour. The end result of the conversation was to wait for the parts and see if that solves the issue. A week passed and the tech installed the new motherboard, still did not solve the issue, he reset the computer again, again, that did not work. I immediately called customer service. I was placed on hold for over an hour. The operator put me in touch with tech support where I was speaking to him and after 10 minutes the line went dead and when I called back I was told they have left for the evening. The representative hung up on me to go home. If you dont mind wasting precious time on hold and fixing your computer. Go ahead and spend the $1600 on a beautiful sleek brick. I would be incredibly happy if someone from dell would fix this issue. I'm sure dell has enough money to hire some more people in customer service. Especially if they are selling $1600 bricks to their customers.
greggw33
January 14th, 2020
To start, I received a brand new laptop that had a bad keyboard right out of the box (12/11/2019). I used the laptop for a couple of days to see if the issue would have much of an effect on my performance. It turns out, when the "2" / "@" key does not respond to keystrokes consistently, it becomes a problem. So, I contacted support to get this resolved (12/13/2019).

Instead of offering to send a new computer, I was given the option of either mailing my computer in for repair or having a technician come to my house to repair it (I got the pro support, but I wouldn't trust Dell's repair technicians again). Not a great start, but I presumed this should not be a difficult fix.

Then, I find out that essentially the entire laptop needs to be moved over to a new palmrest/keyboard, from all of the major interior components to the display to even the power button. I had my reservations and even expressed them to support, but I was advised this was the best course of action to take. So, I agreed. I was starting with a brand new laptop, and if things go according to plan, I would then have a rebuilt laptop. Just what I paid for, ha.

I set up an appointment for 12/16/2019 to get the issue resolved and set aside the entire day to be available for the repair technician. He came in, removed the bottom of my laptop, removed the replacement product out of the box, and then realized that Dell sent the wrong product. This day was already shot, and now I have to set up another appointment to get my laptop fixed, and set aside another full day.

On 12/19/2019, a different repair technician came for this second appointment. He came with the new palmrest/keyboard unit, as well as the wrong keyboard that was sent for the first attempt. I had to initially explain to him why we would not be using that first product that was shipped. After that exchange, I was a bit concerned about whether he had done this type of work on a laptop before. He then spent several hours at my house, taking the bottom off, putting the bottom back on, taking the bottom off, putting the bottom back on, and repeat. This included a time when the display cord was sticking out by the hinge after he screwed the bottom on, and instead of taking the bottom off again, he initially tried to pry it back in with a screwdriver. At last, he decided to give up when he turned the laptop on and it said the hard drive could not be found. After being here for a few hours, he was at his breaking point. At one point, he told me he believed the new palmrest/keyboard may be defective and that Dell often sends out refurbished parts for repairs.

So, the repair technician called the Dell Support line for technicians and told the representative there was not anything more he could do. He had seemingly tried everything and nothing was working. There was something amiss. After a short conversation, the technician handed his phone over to me to talk to the Dell representative, who then told me I would need to send my laptop in for repair. I emphatically told him that was not acceptable. This was a brand new laptop that was already just essentially rebuilt. I was not going to accept what was going to amount to a refurbished laptop. I was sent a defective product which was rendered unusable after their repair technician tried to fix it. The representative then said he would be willing to order me a replacement and that someone would reach out shortly and that I can expect a new laptop in 7-10 business days. So, after this mess, I actually had to advocate for a new laptop to be sent. On top of that, 7-10 business days is not a short amount of time to be without a laptop (note: it took longer).

I expressed my displeasure with my experience in an email to support that same day on 12/19/2019. In it, I also expressed concern with sending back the laptop with the SSD in it, as I have sensitive information on it (attorney-client and other confidential files). No one responded to this email, ever. I know it was received because that was the message replied to when my designated support representative, Stephanie, stated she noticed I had received "assistance" from Daniel while she was out of the office. I am not sure who Daniel is, as prior to that email I received from Stephanie on 12/23/2019, no one reached out to me after the conversation I had with the Dell representative when the repair technician handed me his phone. Maybe that was Daniel; I did not catch that person's name.

It was not until 12/24/2019 that I received notice that Dell put through the order to have a new laptop sent to me. Thank you for the prompt attention (sarcasm).

The new replacement laptop finally arrived on 1/13/2020. I again expressed my displeasure to support in an email similar to this review, and gave them a chance to try to make this experience right. The response was "I am very sorry the original system didn't work out."
jenniferc1668
July 2nd, 2020
I spent an hour on the phone with a Dell rep perfecting a computer tailored for me >$2500. It took 6 weeks to arrive. Apparently I hadn't specifically asked for it to be able to connect to wi-fi, so it couldn't. Who buys a computer that's not wi-fi compatible. Just awful.
donnar472
February 4th, 2020
My computer was 4 years old had 80% space free and the hard drive crashed, buttons didn't work, the sound was so low you couldn't hear it. Had to buy a new battery after 2 years. Don't buy a Dell. Buy HP. They make good computers. Their computers are trash now.
mariliac2
November 15th, 2019
My desktop is a Dell computer and I recently bought a laptop for my daughter. The customer service couldn't be more helpful: they went out of their way to accommodate the delivery to my daughter's friend's schedule (he was going to receive it and take it to her). Unfortunately, two days after she started to use it, it crashed (software issue). If she was here in the USA, they would have taken care of it in days. A trustworthy company. My next computer will be from them because even if I have a problem, they do fix it.
jasonm1247
May 10th, 2020
Unable to answer Complaints, Unable to deliver a Laptop when promised. Still waiting 8 days later for said laptop to be shipped. Very disappointed
annam744
May 5th, 2020
This is a great laptop! Exactly what I needed and for a great price!
Once I took it out of 'S' mode, I was able to start using the browser's and apps I prefer.
Very Easy to set up and use.
I love it!
brandtb6
July 30th, 2020
I would give them -1 if I could. I paid over $3,000 for a new laptop. As soon as it got to the distribution center near my house, Dell requested it returned to them. Needless to say I have spent the past 2 weeks on hold, speaking to various customer service reps who could care less about me. I keep getting told just to wait 1-2 more business days. After the 10th business day, It appears that once I gave them my money they could care less about me. Terrible company, terrible experience, not only am I personally never buying from them again, but I am going to ensure my department of which I am director, will be buying our 30+ new laptops from another company.
shravank7
July 3rd, 2020
We contacted them about a server configuration we were interested in. They changed the configuration promising it will work for us. We made the payment. They said they will send manuals and invoices. But they never did. They simply shipped the server. We later figured that it won't fit our need. When we contacted them over refund on the software licenses, they never returned email responses. We tried reaching them again and again, finally got their callback. They said their return policy was 30 day and the time was up. We never received any return policy and not even an invoice. We filed dispute with our bank. Dell forged their invoice to show return policy on the first page. Our bank won't help. We are entering a big litigation with Dell Enterprise over $25,000USD and all damages that caused us.
hilw1
June 21st, 2020
Honestly, i consider their products to be best ever! Perfect material, reliable construction, perfectly fonctional
kyungl4
July 8th, 2020
In April, I ordered a webcam on Dell.com. When I made an order, I was aware that delivery would be done in July. I thought that this took too long, I tried to cancel my order.

After that, I received one email from DELL saying "Your order has not been cancelled. We regret to inform you that some or all of the items in this order couldn't be cancelled. If you'd still like to cancel this order, you can contact Dell Care agent at *******897 and we'll be happy to help."

When my cancellation request was rejected, I did not call them and I just accepted this situation. I have been waiting on July since then, and I contacted DELL to make sure delivery date of this. DELL answered me that my order was cancelled because I requested.

What the DELL! I was hoping to reinstate my order but DELL said Nah! So sad. I just wasted my time 3 months and lost my chance to buy this on other site. DELL is so shameless and the worst customer service ever ever maybe forever.
mimib39
Customer
1 star: Bad
Updated just now
I called them for help
I called them for help. I paid 99.00 and spent 3 hours twice in one day on the phone. They purposely set me up to sabatoge my 5 year old laptop so that I would have to purchase a new one. BUYER BEWARE DO NOT PURCHASE FROM DELL. THEY LIE AND SAY THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU FIX YOUR SOFTWARE, HOWEVER WHEN YOU GIVE THEM YOUR LAPTOP DEVICE INFO, THEY SCREW UP YOUR CURRENT SOFTWARE DURING THE CALL SO YOU HAVE TO BUY NEW! THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. IT IS WRONG AND DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES. The customer service reps were all very unhelpful. They knew what they were telling me it should be no problem, and implied they were going to be able to fix it. My computer worked better BEFORE I called them for help. It's just their way of keeping people having to rebuy items to keep making money for their company. It is morally and ethically wrong. They should face lawsuits for this. My computer's warranty just expired a few months before their new SOFTWARE updates screwed up my laptop. I even had windows 10 on it. It was given to me as a gift and I barely used it. I always kept it in new condition in a safe spot and was the only person to use it. This happens with our cars, phones, everything. So we have to remain slaves to rebuy expensive things that don't even hold monetary value, by the time we are done paying them off. What a brilliant scheme for the BUSINESS industry. They know when the warranty that we buy is gone that their products will go"bad." Then theres an update or no longer any parts or software for these expensive items made of pure cheap materials. These are all BUSINESS scams that should be outlawed and prosecuted severely, to protect consumers
deeo3
March 11th, 2020
I've used PCs since the 90s - NONE of them (EXCEPT for the Dell Inspiron 5559 Notebook) - interrupted my work by displaying random, flashing colours on the screen - and then STOPPED WORKING! Luckily, I could research the problem online using my 12-year old HP Compaq Presario Notebook. Dell (USA) tells you (the customer) that you can contact your local Technical Support for concrete answers.

I approached Dell Technical Support (Australia) through their online 'Chat'. In the message box I wrote:
"NO POST. I pressed the 'Fn' key and 'Power' button - I heard a sharp, melodic double-beep (6 times); then 15 note melody (1 time) followed by 3 strong beeps (3 times); these last 2 beep patterns repeat consecutively. WHAT IS WRONG EXACTLY?"

Over some days, I successfully transmitted this message at least 21 times (that I documented). Each time, the 'Chat' window showed 3 moving dots (to indicate it was going through) - then NOTHING! - the 'Chat' window had simply DISAPPEARED!

[NOTE: I got through the very FIRST time I contacted the company via 'Dell Chat' (Consumer Sales) on March 4,2020. I told the Sales Advisor that I'd been trying to get through on 'Technical Support' Chat with no success and asked if he could transfer me to someone there. He could not accommodate my request and provided a link (that I had already used). I continued to try to make contact with Dell's 'Technical Support'. I had also tried to initiate a chat session with Dell (USA); I was always redirected to the Australian website.]

I thought I did my research before choosing Dell (reading paid editorials). I could not have anticipated that, as a customer, I would be BLOCKED by Dell's Technical Support - thereby preventing me from making crucial enquiries about their product.

I can only now appeal direct to Dell (USA) for help. Given the (above) diagnostic codes and/or beeps, I repeat the question to them: "What is wrong exactly?" I would very much appreciate their answer.

Not that it now matters, my first computer was a Dell Desktop (Pentium).

MARCH 23,2020 UPDATE:

As I await a response from Dell, I should mention that I am indebted to those independent computer technicians who freely post and share their tips. One of these, published October 25,2017, is for the benefit of Dell Inspiron 14 or Dell Inspiron 15 owners called "Dell 3 beep trick for no display problem". The technician advises, "Every model can face this type of problem."

The fix (not a permanent solution) is to press the 'down arrow' + "D" + "W" + "F2" - and the power button also - only removing your finger off the power button. If your laptop processes this code it will show "Preparing Automatic Repair" on the screen; if it does not (after a few tries), to quote (again) from this technician:

"OK. If your laptop shows this type of problem so it's your bad luck because your laptop's motherboard has been Tear down soon and now today's the laptop circuit is being very difficult and cheap and the laptop company has included GPU, CPU, clock together into one piece of i. C so it's very difficult to cure your laptop."

As a newcomer to this page, I'm struck by NOT seeing (public) Company responses from Dell to the 1 Star Reviews. These reviews are 'gifts' - providing Dell with free reports that laser-focus on systemic failures within the company's operations.

As a society, we have the right to be able to rely on our technology. Every customer that chooses Dell believes (intrinsically) that this American company has their best interests at heart.

'Care for the customer' - what happened to it?

April 23,2020 UPDATE Dell - A BBB Accredited Business?

Dell Inc is a "BBB (Better Business Bureau) Accredited Business" (since 04/10/1989) that has been given a rating of 'A+'. (For a list of the many virtues that this accreditation entails see: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/round-rock/profile/computer-dealers/dell-inc-0825-41453/accreditation-information). Accordingly, "BBB has determined that Dell Inc meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints."

Dell Inc should be only too aware that '1 Star Reviews' are in fact consumer complaints - albeit expressed publicly. However, Dell has been practicing 'social-distancing' from negative reviews for some time now - which is why these have increased exponentially. For example, at 'bbb.org' (with 2,761 Customer Complaints), Dell Inc has been given a '1Star' rating from an average of 266 Reviews.

This trend is reflected elsewhere, too. For example, at 'Reviews.io', Dell (currently) has 449 reviews with an overall rating of '1.2 Stars'. At 'Resellerratings.com', Dell has 1,716 reviews with an overall score of 1/10. In Australia, at 'ProductReview.com.au', Dell has 479 Reviews with an overall rating of '1.4 Stars'. The Australian 'Trustpilot.com' website has 735 Reviews for Dell with an overall rating of '1.3 Stars'.

Notwithstanding that Dell's overall rating of "3.7 stars" on this website appears to be an anomaly, why hasn't the company responded to the '1 Star Reviews'?

Better Business Bureau advise potential customers:

"When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and UNDERSTAND THAT THE NATURE OF COMPLAINTS AND A FIRM'S RESPONSES TO THEM ARE OFTEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS." [caps added]

The '1 Star' Complaints against Dell are detailed and comprehensive [For example, from: 'bbb.org': 'Ana M' (posted 03/29/2020); from 'Reviews.io': 'Pam' (04/20/2020), 'Michael Smith' (04/20/2020), 'Anonymous' (04/01/2020), 'Anonymous' (03/22/2020), 'Carey Mueller' (03/22/2020) and from 'Resellerratings.com': 'AldertVanN...' (12/14/2019).]

Dell is lauded on 'ifixit.com' for having a full Service Manual to be able to completely disassemble the laptop (to potentially fix it yourself). What good is this when Dell uses 'cheap' parts seemingly designed to break down while the computer is still current and viable (as has been my experience)?

It's been over a month since I first posted my online complaint. I have yet to hear from this "A+" business.
crystall270
July 5th, 2020
DO NOT BUY A DELL COMPUTER unless you want to spend 3-4 hours 2-3xs per week With a Dell Techincal Support. I have had my computer for 18 months and I have made 20 technical support calls and had 1 technician come out to fix it. But it's always a temporarily fix since the computer stops working over and over again. I depend on my computer for nursing school, and I have asked for a replacement since month#1, but they refuse to fix it or send me the parts and ALWAYS REFUSE TO REPLACE IT. They prefer to waste my time and theirs trying to fix it, and the only one hurting is me. I had to stop my online nursing degree since I don't have a working computer. Thank you Dell - for not helping me when I most need it.
yaeld2
February 18th, 2020
I work for the biggest Research institute in Israel. We bought a very sophisticated robot from a Polish company for more the 500000$. The system is run by a Dell computer and was installed about 6 month ago. Everything is under warrenty. An outside technician came to fix a problem in the robot yesterday and the Dell computer crashed down.
It turned out that we need to transfer ownership from Poland to Israel and this process takes TWO WEEKS. This is shuffling paperwork through Dell company bureaucracy. This fits the middle ages when you ran a grocery store with books. Have DELL heard about COMPUTERS and EMAIL?
Furthermore, until this paperwork process is not completed I can't place a call to fix the computer. I don't know how much time that will take and I can't call the robot technician to check my system.
Is DELL trying to shut down the research in my institute? I am sure that my institute buys a lot of computers and how DELL are going to solve this issue will effect future purchases.

I personally wouldn't buy another computer without the support services. I'm pretty tech savvy, but having the premium services means an extended warranty. If you end up with hardware issues it's WELL worth the added coverage.

By LeiLani D.