Review of HomeDepot

customercare@homedepot.com
2017 Customer choice award

aa257
3/21/19

"I purchased washer and drier to replace existing appliances. Sales person convinced me to get a new cable for a washer and vent duct for the drier claiming the installation comes with these parts. This was appealing so I agreed. He also notified me that I will have 48 hours to test both appliances. If anything goes wrong, Home Deport will replace it, otherwise I will have to deal with manufacturer's guaranty service. Delivery people came in time, removed old appliances and brought in the new ones. They connected power cord to the washer and informed me that they have no vent ducts left so the will give me a credit so I can get this part from the store. They placed word "credit" on corresponding line in delivery papers. Here the fan starts. I ran to the nearest Home Depot store and after 15 min of waiting at so called Service Desk guy with named Jesus on his uniform listen to me and walked away for another 10 min. When he came back he looked into computer screen for another 5 min and said that I bought drier in another store so he cannot help me because they have no required part. Store of sale should either give me this missing duct or credit back the price of the duct. So I go to the store of sale. There I waited another 15 min until local clerk paid attention to me. Obviously he sent me to appliance sales. Where clerk stated that I will have my money back from delivery and in turn I was sent back to the Service desk where clerk claimed that I will have credit from delivery. I assume they have no idea that Home Depot subcontracts delivery. At this point I asked if I can simply buy this duct again for $24.99. This duct was found at sales and I paid for it. Unfortunately, it turned out that this particular duct model is only 8 feet and too short for any basement installation so I tad to return it and buy another one but finally, by midnight, I managed to put drier in working order so my wife could test it the next day. Fortunately, it worked OK.
I see more then few problems in this story:
1. Customer service is absolutely inefficient. They just waist consumers time and have no idea how to deal with delivery problem.
2. Sales push consumers into buying wrong parts under the pretense of free installation.
3. Delivery have no desire to get involved into free installation and I am sure that sales clerks perfectly aware of this.
4. There is a lack of communications between Home Deport and their subcontractors.
5. Home Depot pocketed my $24.99 and this is a clear robbery.
I will eventually get my money back but I strongly advise everybody who is going to buy any appliance from Home Depot to be extremely vigilant. Personally, from now on I will try to buy everything online. Appliances included.

keithk137
3/20/19

I only go to Home Depot and the other big box home improvement center for small items, but after a half dozen times of ineptitude and common items being out of stock, or nowhere to be found, never again.

I went in to pick up some fence brackets. You know those things you use to hang a wood fence rail. Two employees looked at me like I was from outer space.

The first asked me if it was a chain link fence. I said no and she walked me over to the chain link fence supplies.

I shook my head and walked away and found another employee and got the same response. They both said, "I think we have those in three places." The second person showed my where all the various joist hangers were and said, "you might find them in there somewhere."

I looked at both of them, threw my hands up, said, "really people," and walked out.

I gave up and drove the few miles to our local home improvement center, Jerry's, I was lead to fencing supplies to a big box labeled "fence hangers, $89." I was in and out in minutes.

Unless absolutely necessary, I'll just head to Jerry's, our great local option.

daleg75
3/15/19

Today March 15th we were in the Peoria Arizona store shopping products for our home remodel. The department staff was rude, it was like we offended them asking for CUSTOMER service. The store was well staffed but none of them would assist customers, the rudest employee was a big Fat old guy with a fat red face who worked in the door department. All he would do is argue with us and say "Well look it up online" So we did and bought everything online from E-Bay. I'm done with Depot

alexb440
3/14/19

I have shopped extensively at both Lowe's and Home Depot for many years. Home Depot does not screen their employees very well. I had people renovating my house go to both places to buy building materials several times when I was out of town on business. I gave both places my credit card information over the phone. At Home Depot, they stole my credit card information and made unauthorized purchases. It never happened at Lowe's. I met several people in my personal life who worked at Home Depot and that just confirmed for me that Home Depot does not screen their employees well at all. I have to buy appliances soon, and I'll go to Lowe's because I don't trust the employees at Home Depot with my personal information such as my address.

joanm11
3/12/19

Home Depot CEO and the sales and install managers agree both verbal and written (sales contract/building permit) documentation exists specifying that those two large half-round windows will be wrapped in white vinyl, but Home Depot refuses to do the work because their salesman "mis-spoke," and the Home Depot won't honor the contract. If I contract the work with another service provider, Home Depot won't honor the warranties for those two windows because the work was not performed by a trained Home Depot crew. The requirement to wrap these specific windows was a focal point of the sales pitch as both windows were replaced in the past due to moisture problems and wrapping was touted as the ultimate solution. I've been negotiating for nearly six months and have developed management approved action plans, but no progress has been made at the local or exec levels. The only response I've received from the executive level is the return of the certified mail receipt signed for by the CEO's office. The install manager claims to speak for the CEO.

A legal remedy would not be realistic as North Carolina law requires the customer to pay legal fees even if the company is at fault. For this simple case, the legal fees would start at $2,000.

zacharyz8
2/21/19

So i went into the store and spent and hour picking out appliances with the sales rep and i told her from the beginning i needed them asap. After picking them all out none were available to be delivered. She swapped them out for more expensive appliances that could be delivered on four days later. I waited on the day of delivery all day and no one arrived. When i called homedepot i was hung up on multiple time, transferred, disconnected, promised call backs with no call back. Eventually they told me the appliances would be delivered but a week later. They blamed the supplier or vender (what happened to instock !?!) I told them no i can't wait so cancel it. They said the can't and just wait for the appliances to come and then don't accept them. I said i can't do that because i need the money back to go buy appliances elsewhere. I spoke to sales associate, store manager, homedepot national customer service. They basically told me they look into it but couldn't do anything. This is absolutely the worst customer service on the plannet. Multiple chances to fix things and they did nothing. What a gigantic waste of my time and energy.

aimeem42
2/21/19

I bought 7 gc from varies places on 12/23 as Christmas gifts, including 1 to HD. I've received replacement cards from 6 of them, absolutely no problems, some I even received same day. I just got an e-mail from Customer Service Rep Iris C stating I'm crap out of luck, there is absolutely nothing they will do for me. I even had the FULL GC #, given to me by Kroger, where I purchased these cards. I'm utterly speechless! DONE EVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM HOME DEPOT! There's a Lowes right down the road, I'm sure they'll appreciate my business! Also, I would give negative stars if I could but had to give 1 to post my review.

ajl25
2/19/19

Due to a lack of in-store choices on a replacement sink for our powder room, we had to order one online. The one my husband chose with a very nice design to it was not inexpensive and there was NO indication that this sink would not fit into a "normal home powder room". Even in reading the specs, there was nothing that led us to believe that this sink sat so close to the wall that the current plumbing would not fit into it correctly. The main pipe coming into it would have to be cut down to fit properly and the drain stopper both rubbed on the inside and dug into the wall behind it. After paying for the plumber to start installing this, we decided there were too many issues with it and had to have him come back to un-install this one and install the replacement we found. I contacted Home Depot to let them know of the issues and suggesting that the proper thing for them to do would be to send out an installer, for this 2nd one, at no cost to us. They refused. Then I suggested they pay the very low cost of our plumber for the re-install, and they still refused. The person that I was in contact with seemed to NOT care in the least about their customer relations or trying to make the situation right, even though this was caused by their website not having a full, proper description of the item. On other sites, they clearly state the sinks are "small', or "tiny" or "full size", etc. Home Depot had no such words in the description and since the cost of this was more than many others, we had no reason to believe it may not fit in our small powder room. The least Home Depot should have done to make this right was somehow cover the re-install. We had to pay twice for their inaccurate website information.

Tip for consumers: Don't trust Home Depot's website descriptions. Totally inaccurate and they won't help you if you have an issue with an ordered item!

alv30
2/16/19

We bought a Hampton Bay outdoor table with 8 chairs on line. Assembled the table and chairs and when unpacking the four ceramic tiles that in lay within the table found out one was broke. Called HD, they connected to Hampton Bay specialist , we sent all required photos and proof that the tiles were still mostly packaged as proof of break during delivery. We were told the one tile could take 16 weeks to be delivered. After stating this was not acceptable they said they will just send another company to pick up the table and chairs and refund our money- we agreed.

The company assigned to pick up the table called set up the 4-5 hour window for pick up- NEVER SHOWED UP.

Called HD, after 4 holds and transfers to other departments I was connected to another customer who was calling them with the identical problem.

Home Depot has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They have to be taking a finance hit by thinking we just pick up the entire unit as opposed to just making one tile delivery within an acceptable time period. Whoever is running or making the worst business decisions in that company has got to costing them a lot of money that I am sure is passed back to the everyday customers. They simply do not care. We will never order from this place again. I recommend that buyer beware before making a purchase there.

larrym379
2/14/19

Their website showing you exactly what aisle and bay the product is in makes shopping their so easy!!!

paull465
1/31/19

My customer experience is terrible. My appliances have been delayed (for almost 2 months from now) and I have been told from "project support" that I was not charged. Then I called credit services and they say I have a full charge on my card. I complained to the store and they told me I must be charged for an order to be placed. On the website in there own FAQ it says regarding back order I will not be charged until the order is shipped which is a lie. There is a huge error here where every support person (every person I spoke with was disgruntled and not able to help me) and me running around calling all these departments is broken and not right. Why is this so complicated for me as the customer. In addition, I had to call to reschedule the installer. Booking told me they only book but they don't cancel or reschedule. WTF! Also why am I only told the day before arrival that my appliance order is delayed for 2 months! Home Depot has some huge logistical problems. Be prepared to run around and not get any answers. Phone and Customer support in general is terrible!!!

maxwella13
1/31/19

I recieved the worst customer service resolution today from home depot. Unimaginable he told me off literally to x and leave a review rather than looking for ways to resolve the problem.

jeffw321
1/26/19

spent over $3,000 to buy flooring and baseboard from the East Wichita store. During the process I was told by two different employees at three different times that I also had to remove the casing from around the doors. This seems strange to me hence the reason I asked more than one person and more than one time.

In fact the casing did not need to be removed and you can't properly install the baseboards unless the casing is up first.

When we asked about adding installation of the casing to the order were told that could not be done and we'd have to hire someone on our own. It was suggested we talk to the installer to see if they could/would do it.

Keep in mind that but for the Home Depot employees telling us the casing had to be removed we would not have spent time removing it and money buying new casing.

We contacted the installer - cooper installation - who said they didn't think there would be an issue but needed to talk to the people doing the actual installation first. We then get a call from Home Depot about wanting to add additional services to the contract (which we'd tried to do weeks ago and were told we could not). The cost to add this was going to be $891! That is only slightly less than what we were paying to install flooring and baseboards in three rooms, a walk in closet, and a hallway! We explained this was not acceptable and contacted Home Depot corporate to see what could be done since this was an issue caused only because of what we were told by Home Depot employees.

Ultimately we were told we could hire someone ourselves and submit the bill to Home Depot and they would then see if they could do anything to help with the costs. This went back and forth with us explaining over and over that this didn't work since we needed to have the casings done as soon as the floor was done and before the baseboard was installed. We were then offered a $200 credit (meaning we could pay $681 to fix the issue caused by Home Depot)!!!!

When the actual installer (sub-contractor for the place Home Depot hired) came to start the project they were surprised at the casing being off and explained what we already knew, that this would be an issue with getting the baseboard an casings installed properly so they looked right and fit correctly. The on-site installer gave us a quote of $300 to do the casings ($591 less that the Home Depot quote). However, since they were contracted through Home Depot they could not do the work without approval.

I tried to call the customer service number but the people I need to talk to don't work on the weekend. I was told to contact the local story and see what could be done.

I called and ultimately went to the Home Depot on Woodlawn in Wichita, KS to see if this could be resolved so I could get the project done today. I was repeatedly interrupted and talked over when I tried to explain to yet another person at Home Depot what the issue was and what needed to be done to fix this.

I asked that the installer be called and given the okay to do the casing installation and I'd pay the $300 out of my pocket to get it done so the rest of the work could be done. Instead all I was told over and over was that I could have a $200 credit against the $891 installation.

I ended up cancelling the baseboard installation entirely and walked out with a refund. Now I have to not only hire someone to do the casings but I'll have to hire them to also do the baseboards and my house will remain incomplete longer.

A simple phone call today would have fixed this and cost Home Depot nothing. Instead you had to refund me money and have lost a customer.

I urge everyone to make their home improvement purchases any place but at Home Depot.

garyl283
1/20/19

On Friday January 18th, 2019 I went to my local Home Depot store located at 15655 Roy Rogers Dr in Victorville, California. I went to the toilet seat section to make a purchase. I was then approached by two men, one whom appeared to be white and Mexican(Store Manager) and another white associate. They then said to me, "One of my associates pointed you out saying that you had a whole bunch of cleaning supplies and denied showing the receipt of your purchase."

They then asked me to leave and told me that I can no longer shop there. I then proceeded to tell them that this was my first time in the store today. The manage then stated that he will check the cameras.

I have numerous issues with this situation and the way it was handled.

The first being, the associate should have notified the manager when said issue happened with whomever it happened with and the cameras should have been reviewed at that time, prior to making FALSE accusations.

Second, Being a BLACK man in America, the intimidation and humiliation I experienced for something that I did not do does not sit well with me.

I need to be contacted by The CEO in order to resolve this issue, this should have never happened and I refuse to let it happen again to an innocent person, whether they are black, white, purple, or yellow.

marvink23
1/16/19

IN TULSA OKLAHOMA. BOUGHT A WATER HEATER WITH EXTENDED WARRANTY TWO YEARS AGO. UNIT STOPPED WORKING. COME TO FIND OUT THEY DO NOT HAVE A REPAIR SERVICE IN TULSA...IN A CITY OF 400,000+ PEOPLE. AFTER NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS AND PERSONAL VISIT TO THE DOWNTOWN STORE MANAGER. ALL THEY ARE WILLING TO GIVE IS A GIFT CERTIFICATE OF THE ORIGINAL PRICE...NO TAX...NO DELIVERY...NO INSTALLATION. THIS IS SUCH POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. WE WILL NOT SHOP HOME DEPOT AGAIN.

randyb234
1/4/19

Home Depot

The GOOD
1. Home Depot is a very good hardware store. If they'd stick to that they would be awesome. They typically have a large selection of mainstream items in both tools and hardware.
2. They finally got the self checkout experience working well.
3. They have an excellent return policy.
4. You can go to HD in the net on your phone, select your store, and then enter products and it will tell you exactly where they are in the store. Works great (almost) every time. You do NOT have to load their app to do this.

The BAD
1. While usually friendly, employees typically don't know much about their products. Don't rely on them to help you make selections.
2. If you're getting more than a few pieces of lumber, you're better off making a trip to the lumberyard.
3. If you're going to use the rental service, be aware that you are on your own. The people there do not know their equipment very well and will tell you anything. Do your homework! Know exactly what capabilities, dimensions, etc. your job requires, and research specific tools and equipment to make sure you get what you need. Take a tape measure with you to check tools, ladder heights, truck bed dimensions, etc.
4. It is not an appliance store. Just stay away from this aisle; lots of sketchy things happen in this department.

The UGLY

1. While the shopping experience is very good 96% of the time, if you ever get into a situation where you need to speak to the manager, you are already screwed. No matter how incorrect the advertised price was or how badly the rental people mislead you, you'll basically be told very nicely, "That's the way it is." This is the corporate PC version of "Bugger off, we don't care".
2. Don't even think about using their Home Services. If you're ever tempted to do so, first buy a 3# hammer and a 6" nail and with the hammer in your right hand drive the nail through your left hand; you will enjoy this more than allowing HD to do your installation.

glennb115
12/12/18

I purchased a washer dryer set from Home Depot. The delivery was scheduled for November 28th. On the 27th I was told the delivery would be between 8 and 11 on the 28th. At noon the product hadn't arrived. I was assured it was on the way. Called back at 2 and kept on the phone for an hour only to be told the truck broke down and the product would be delivered the next day between 8:30 and 11:30. Again it didn't arrive and I was told it would be delivered between 4 and 6. At 6 Home Depot called to reschedule the delivery to DEC 6TH. I went to the store where I bought the product and the associate called to find out was happening. She found that there was no delivery schedule for me on the 6th so it had to be rescheduled for a delivery for December 7th and that I would be compensated for all we had been put through. The product did arrive on the 7th, 8 days and 4 missed delivery windows from the original scheduled delivery. Then to add insult to injury, the compensation for this delivery disaster was $75.05. I will never shop at Home Depot.

shureno
12/1/18

What you would expect. Helpful people here who know about their departments. I'm sure a lot of the staff here has previously worked or majored in a trade of some sort. Ofc I am certainly not referring to all staff because I have definitely met a lot of stupid & rude 1's who straight up should've been fired out the door, but lets not focus on that shall we?

Again their display's are pleasant to look at, & they have at time's live workshop's going on in the store, which I think is a great idea. When I do need assistance there is always someone there to assist me & answer any Q&A's I have about a particular product. Front desk is nice & have even offered at time's to load heavy item's into my vehicle. No idea if this is part of their policy or anything but if their doing this wholly voluntarily than a "BIG" thank you.

jayz24
11/27/18

The worst thing I've ever done was trust a kitchen remodel to Home Depot. The Rochester Hills Store is absolutely horrible from the kitchen designer up to the store manager. Kitchen design started in July and going on December and project is not yet completed. The store employees refuse to answer email messages and once they have your money they don't care. I have damaged cabinets and the store won't even tell me the status of the replacements. The store manager said it was my responsibility to make sure they (Home Depot) measure walls correctly. After the design issue is resolved I'm dealing with damaged cabinet doors. The store refuses to answer email messages that are simple questions, such as when were the replacements ordered and how many were ordered. The only person that was helpful was the District Manager over the installation contractors. Unfortunately, he has no authority over the store. I've sent messages to the corporate office and have yet to hear back from them. Spent over $20,000 and have had nothing but headaches

This has been an absolute nightmare

renem145
11/17/18

HOME DEPOT Can not get a hold of anybody in power(store managers and heads of deptartment have no power) then you are blocked and given the run around from
corporate. BS. Bought $6000 worth of carpet Chesterfield Michigan store 6 months ago.
We moved all of the furniture off carpet for installation. Carpet installed after 6 days of tour house a mess and one installer being there. Moved all of the furniture back. Carpet was defective. Chose a totally different product. Moved all of the furniture AGAIN. Installers came. I asked them to roll it out make sure this was not defective. They
said it was. Sent the carpet back. The installers told the installation
place IAS that I said it was the wrong color. This was a lie. Then tried to say it was because of the language barrier. I speak no other language but English they did not. Not my problem they have workers that can not speak or understand English. So house still tore up they finally come back to install 4 days later with the same roll and it was not defective. Finally installed. Moved all the furniture back AGAIN.
Called the store and the only thing they want to compensate me with on this over $6000 purchase is a gift card. WTH? I said I want money off of the $600 dollar Home Depot credit card I just opened up for this purchase. All of a sudden they wont talk to me now that the job is done.Called corporate and Chesterfield Michigan store manager and still have heard nothing.

paulaz10
11/16/18

I bought a LG washer from Home Depot.They were out twice.They think there is nothing wrong with it,well after it's done washing,you open the door and water comes draining out on my wood floors. There is a hump in the boot inside the washer, the water does not drain back inside,it drains outward.But according to them it works properly and just leave it air dry out. I was told it's not a functional problem,well what's the boot doing on the washer then if it's not a functional part.Because it's stacked units,they refuse to send two people out to repair it.Just keep passing the buck between the store (Home Depot) and Asurion.And I got a defective appliance.

julien102
11/12/18

A few weeks ago we purchased a microwave from home depot. We also signed up for installation from one of their subcontractors. They were supposed to deliver the microwave today, with the installer scheduled for tomorrow. They never showed up and they're now promising to come tomorrow. However that means the installer has to reschedule, so the microwave can't be installed for another three weeks. So...no microwave to help get Thanksgiving dinner on the table. I'll never buy anything from them again. Worst service I've ever experienced.

genl7
11/4/18

Very helpful. Had 3 people check to see if I needed assistance. Nice lady at the register greeted me and was very helpful.

willc51
11/1/18

Last 3 or 4 orders placed online for instore pickup of various items at various stores have been cancelled due to inaccurate inventory. I finally called Corporate CS and was told "yeah, we know we have big issues with accurate store inventory being reflected online - it's often way off." REALLY? Based on that, I would advise folks to sell any stock in HD. If you have no accurate way to maintain reliable inventory how can you possibly maintain accurate revenue reporting, much less fulfill customer orders... or even strive for customer satisfaction. My latest pick-up order was for a quantity of 1 of an item that had 6 in stock, of which 5 were saleable. After 2 hours I received the standard "whoopsey, no one can find them" phone call. So few hundred dollars in product disappeared. Placed another order for same item at another store that had 2 saleable in stock. Thirty minutes pass before that call with same story. Perhaps the internal theft, or employee incompetence is extremely bad in my area. Perhaps my area is the anomaly and other stores are competent, but based on national customer service rep's response it seems my situation is not unique. The last time I've had so much trouble with a B&M company's online site it was Sears... and everyone knows how their transition to digital sales went.
My suggestion is if you MUST order from HD online with in-store pick-up dont spend too much time because the effort you make to create the may be wasted when nothing is in stock.

richardk360
10/31/18

There is nothing wrong with the appliances as long as you pick it up and install itself yourself. Home Depot farms out delivery and installation to a bunch of incompetent dishonest and in my case criminal companies. If you want a sample of the problems go to my3cents.com. In my case after 3 visits my range was still not installed, part of my old oven was still not removed and on the second visit one of the delivery people stole a portable power tool from my home. My experience is not unique.

595 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Betty, you can also return without receipt if you purchased using your credit card. Give them the same CC and they can tell the price you bought at.

By Rita C.

Questions? Get answers from the HomeDepot staff and other customers.

14 Photos for HomeDepot