Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

wf23
7/19/18

I have had great luck finding fun items that I can afford. Sellers have always been super friendly too.

selmac4
7/19/18

Terrible customer service no response to any emails. Theres no published phone number to contact customer service All nine bachelorette girls have been tracking their shirts to no avail Nana have arrived in time Site says 1 to 2 business days its been 2 to 3 weeks Buyer beware! Id never use Etsy or Quteez, seller, again!!!

tawniat
7/17/18

As a seller , for quite a few years now I really don't know why I haven't left earlier. I have spent so much time and effort on my shop and products, and given Etsy way to much money... I found that some of MY INVENTIONS would be copied , so I just took them off all together.
There's to many and to much CRAP shall I say , on there... LOts of OVERSEAS shall we say sellers., and It seems if you don't pay for Extra advertising , well.... YOu get lost in the shuffle.
I felt like I was being nickel and Dimed just more and more... They were making more off of me than I was making myself.. I did the WEB page new thing they have.... The constant renewal fees,,,everytime I made a sell fees...uploaded item fees....and now with all the new stuff they have coming at us...For THEM to make money...
My Items are getting further and further back in the Pile.
I am leaving you Etsy, you done me wrong... Making my own website with another host where I have more control over the Design of my pages....and can put as many things on it and whatever I want it, without being shut down and not be charged extra....
I am actually saving money!!!
I will continue to buy my Items from the sellers, my suppliers I have grown to love,,, they have been good to me... But I think being on MY Own is so much more freeing than that NIckel and Dime Shop they have going on.... Good Luck everyone.

jennifera58
7/14/18

The American consumer needs to be very careful about dealing with the website etsy.com. Etsy has fashioned itself as an online platform where people come together to buy and sell goods. However, the piece that the folks who run Etsy are missing and do not seem to care is the safety and protection of buyers from unscrupulous sellers who deliberately pass their fake merchandise off as real.

I made a purchase 6 months ago from a seller with fake merchandise and a fake name to go along with his Etsy profile. Essentially, the guy used Etsy in order to pull off his scam knowing that the website had no way of vetting him as a seller. More than likely, the seller had been a long time Craigslist scammer and troll, and was caught by law enforcement. Now, he is using other online trading websites such as Etsy to rob people.

Matters went from bad to worse when the lying, stealing and cheating Etsy employees with the Donald Trump mentality sided with the scammer and refused to refund my money. Etsy accepted the fact that the seller was a fraud, however the company is so money hungry, it would tolerate any form of criminal activity just to stay afloat. Etsy's written policy requires a buyer to send back merchandise that is defective or damaged but not fake. If it's fake and you buy it, too bad. I sent back the fake jewelry to the seller with the fake name (Alexander Shayevich) of Flushing, New York to the same UPS Store box number which was on the original shipping label. This is when things became twisted.

Etsy did what they do which was to claim that the jewelry had never been returned or received by the so-called seller and therefore no refund could be issued to me, the buyer of the fake jewelry. Essentially, Etsy took the word of a lying, piece of trash, low-life Russian criminal that he never received the jewelry, over an honest, upstanding member of my community and society. As I stated, it has been more than six months of fighting with Etsy which is akin to trying to rehabilitate a sex offender.

Impossible!

So, please take my story as a cautionary tale about buying from someone on Etsy. If you feel the need to deal with this website, read the reviews very carefully, first. From all appearances, Etsy screws both buyers as well as legitimate sellers out of money. However, the New York State Attorney General has racked up a large number of complaints about Etsy and encourages victims to file complaints with their office. It is also a good idea to contact a local consumer reporter in your city as well as post your negative experience with Etsy online via social media. This spreads the word that Etsy cannot be trusted and that consumers should steer clear of the website.

Etsy is the new craigslist and there is nothing good that could be said about craigslist. If you do not believe me, call your local police department and ask to speak to someone in their Internet crimes division.

caitlyns13
7/14/18

I purchased a cake topper as my first item on this site. I am so in love with it and I am so happy with how it turned out since I was so nervous to buy it because it was coming all the way from Turkey. However, all my fears and nerves were for nothing because it was beautifully made and I can't wait to put it on top of my wedding cake!

tarrac
7/12/18

Before you start an account review everything very carefully. I knew they took a percentage of sales most do, but I didn't realize they charged you to list items. After browsing the site, it seemed more like small businesses and not a place for those of us who liked to do crafts and make a little bit of money. I was under the impression it was a great place to sell crafts for those of us who do it because we love it, and just want to make a little money, but after looking at the sellers, they seemed more like small arts and crafts stores.

lyg1
7/12/18

I am a seller on Etsy for 6 years and I find it challenging and fun for the most part. My shop has many different vintage items for sale. I love the diversity of having a curiosity shop online with shelves I keep well stocked and shelves I don't have to dust.
I advise buyers to be curious and ask the seller questions.
A good seller will answer them honestly and promptly.
I advise the buyer to look at the reviews before making a purchase.
I also advise the buyer should read the whole sellers comments. The section of shop policy is very important in that the seller will alert buyers of the "rules" like refunds or "all sales final" etc.
Most sellers will not refund the shipping as the shipping services don't either, ie, FedEx, USPS, UPS.
Why should a seller pay to take back an item if the seller wants to return it? Unless it was sold and was "not as described", then the seller should pay for shipping.
I have had many contacts with the staff at Etsy, and they always get back to me promptly and always try their best to resolve any problem or issue I may ask about.
They go to great lengths to make suggestions or to explain a policy or steps that should be taken next to correct the problem.
I like Etsy, and I am glad and proud to be a merchant there.

marcelas6
7/5/18

Etsy used to be a wonderful handmade marketplace, USED to be. The problem with this company is the horrible unfriendly and completely unprofessional people working behind. Non existent customer support for sellers or buyers, NO number to call, emails get's automated responses. Now, with their wholesale and expansion, you got all the sellers form Alibaba, Aliexpress, DHGate and all those asian cheap marketplaces filled with FAKE items and mass produced items, been sold as handmade on etsy. WHAT A JOKE!

ETSY IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY THAT NO LONGER CARES ABOUT IT'S SELLERS. THEY FORGOT WHO MADE ETSY SUCCESSFUL, THE SELLERS!

The new CEO care even less for sellers than Chad the previous CEO did. Josh only cares about making money at all cost for the shareholders, as the good capitalist he is proud to be. The old values and what once was Etsy, is completely GONE!

I hope their greed and lack of moral values and appreciation for the people who made Etsy be what it is today, make them fail. They're horrible people, trust me as an insider I know!

priscillam33
7/3/18

DONT EVER USE ETSY:

I sold a Chanel Vintage Sunglasses (Chanel 01945) on Etsy in the value of $2.000.

The buyer got the glasses and decided she wanted to return them.

She sent me back an EMPTY package, and Etsy said they couldnt hold the buyer responsible.

I had to hire a lawyer to take them to Court.

Etsy is the WORST shopping website Ive ever used!!!

************
NUNCA USE O ETSY:

Eu vendi um óculos de sol vintage da Chanel (Chanel 01945) no valor de 2.000 dólares.

A compradora disse que queria devolvê-lo.

Ela me enviou de volta um pacote VAZIO, e o Etsy disse que não poderia responsabilizá-la.

Eu tive que contratar um advogado pra levá-los pra Justiça.

Etsy é o PIOR site the compras que eu já usei!!

normal27
6/27/18

is like running a store in the Third Reich or Soviet Russia. The whole site is toxic with snitches and spies who will report competitors to bring them down.

We recently found out that one of the things on Etsy that can affect your search ranking (ie how you get seen in search) is something called a "citizen score". Now one can understand if this so called score is based purely on business criteria, such as the service you provide to consumers (as expressed in reviews) how you handle problems, how quickly you ship orders and so one.

However it is also based on how the mods on the forum rate you and whether they consider you a good contributor or a trouble maker. Now lets be clear that the so-called forum mod is an entry level position and so these high school hipsters are judging people who are skilled artisans. Or in my case, a person who has the highest degree qualification one can gain in my country. And in my country you cant do a degree with multiple choice questions. Nor do we have degrees in baton twirling! So these quasi educated kids are passing judgement on how good a "citizen" you are based on what you say in the forums.

Now you will begin to see the sense of the references to Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia - both of them snitches and informers paradise.

gwenh7
6/11/18

Etsy is an amazing online store to purchase handmade unusual items of all kinds. From custom household items, jewelry, baby gifts, custom eats, to just about anything you would ever find at a huge high end custom warehouse with high end vendors, if there was ever such a thing available. It is available on Etsy,com!

kathleenh173
6/10/18

Etsy asserts that when you order an item and fail to receive it due to loss in transit, you bear the risk of loss, not the seller, even though you have no control over the shipping method or whether insurance is purchased. This policy means you pay but get nothing if the item is lost. This policy violates Uniform Commercial Code § 2-509(3) and is therefore contrary to law in every state. Other seller sites (like Amazon Seller) recognize that risk of loss remains with seller until actual receipt. Etsys policy cheats you out of your money so it can profit.

jamald8
6/9/18

Bought a tee for my daughter, the materiel is just crap, more like stiff paper than cotton fabric. Packaging looks like it was done by a 4 year old, and to top it all off, they don't accept returns. If you don't like what you paid for, too bad. Paying $26 for a girls tee, I thought I would have a decent fabric, but not from them. What honest business does not stand by their merchandise??

sharonh315
6/7/18

I purchased from a seller on 5/9/18...Despite numerous email from the seller that she would ship, then did ship...I still have not received my merchandise..Involving the company does NO good..they do not respond or reply to your email and there is no phone number to speak to a human being..Very Disappointed...I have been scammed with no recourse.

karenk310
6/6/18

When you get into a dispute, Etsy favors the customers whether a customer caused a damage on the product or even used it regardless of final sale terms. As a seller, I have lost over $600, and have to pay for the return shipping fee for the product that the customer used the order for a wedding, and the product is not sellable as the customer damaged the merchant. My even one star is not worth!!! I am done with Etsy.

valeriw3
6/5/18

#Eileen Mikolayunas
#SenecaPondCrafts
This Etsy Shop owner is an unfair seller. She misrepresented her product, then refused to do anything about my complaint. I will never purchase from her shop again, and I caution others. She is not at all concerned about customer relations. All she cares about is selling the next thing she puts on her site. Very RUDE person too.

maryh623
5/22/18

I ordered an item on Etsy on 5/13/18. As of today (5/22/18), the item has not been shipped and the shop owner will not return my inquiries. Be aware of who you are buying from on Etsy. Some vendors are reputable and some are scamming (you know whats). As for Etsy itself, they have no contact phone number to reach them to discuss these issues. I'd just stay away from that site and buy direct from the vendors that are trusted.

Tip for consumers: Look in the reviews to see if other customers had a positive or negative experience.

tracyw53
5/13/18

Etsy will not support a buyer in a dispute case because that will mean money out of their pocket. You are at the mercy of the seller to be honest which is a crap shoot!

louil
5/11/18

loved the gift i bought from qualitypersonalized, it really depends on a store to what type of experience you'll have

janar6
5/7/18

I've ordered from a couple different shops and love them all. I've only had one issue with one shop but Etsy's customer service team was able to help me get a fair resolution.

I just want to remind other potential customers that Etsy itself is not selling the items you see, individual shop owners are so if you have a problem with a shop you should contact Etsy for help and if for some reason Etsy can't help you then you should contact your bank or credit card company.

Overall, Etsy has been pretty great and the variety of shops available is amazing. There are some seriously talented artists on Etsy and they shouldn't be lopped in with the few bad apples that give Etsy a bad name.

jennr31
5/7/18

I purchased a Wordpress theme from 17thavenuedesigns and when I downloaded it it was the wrong theme. I contacted her thinking it would be an easy fix but she told me I was out of luck and in order to get the theme I wanted I would have to pay again! I emailed her back and it's been a week now with no response. Beware of 17thavenuedesigns on etsy! scammer!

williamd289
5/1/18

Standard shipping is 3-5 business days, its been 7 days. Who runs this company? I see yall follow 29 people with no followers. Im starting to see why no one follows you back. You $#*! up innocent people who spend their hard earned money on your website. Ridiculous.

shellis4
4/29/18

My fiance recently ordered a ring set that I had picked out from an Etsy shop called ""Zhedora." Over 2,900 (5) star reviews was the main reason I chose this particular Etsy shop. All their jewelry is claimed to be hand-made, which can take 3-4 weeks. On the day he was told the ring would ship out, he received an email stating my ring would not be ready for another 2-3 weeks because they were flying to Canada due to a death in the family. I understand things happen, but this was the day the ring was supposed to ship out, so why wasn't it ready yet? They offered a 10% discount for the ring, but would only apply the refund after the ring arrived. My fiance obliged rather than to cancel at that time. After over two months of waiting for my ring, I was so excited to finally put it on my finger. From a distance, it was beautiful, but on closer inspection there were very obvious flaws. The center stone was set crooked and a bit cloudy, and the ring was not stamped 18K, as they stated it would be. Within a day of wearing it, the center stone was so cloudy that I was embarrassed to show it off. Afraid of hurting my fiance's feelings, I didn't mention it, but was relieved when he noticed it. He then contacted the owner, who responded with, "did she get it wet?" Their page states, "All of our stones are incredibly tough and durable." Not to mention the fact that the care instructions say to wash them in warm soapy water. He argued back and forth at which point the owner wanted to call and explain their different stones and (at our cost) offer an upgraded stone for another $400.00. He then requested a refund,, which to our relief, they did not fight him on. I will give them credit for allowing us to return the ring, but I would NOT recommend buying jewelry from Zhedora.

taunac
4/25/18

What a waste of time. Will not be back for any reason! Shop owner lied about shipping twice! Took them 10 days to investigate the no show item, another 10 before I got my refund. Just don't do business with these people!

job262
4/24/18

So disappointed, thought I found another place to shop but EBAY and Amazon have no competition here. Cheap junk seller and ETSY does not honor their promise to refund if not "as described". Won't be back.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

12 Photos for Etsy