Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

sans21
1/14/18

Tried to sell on etsy but no buyers. I sell handmade vintage upscaled jewelry. I have lots of hits, likes and followers on instagram. The only traffic and sales are from there. Why am I paying Etsy? Not worth it setting up my own website. I learned traffic shows up not through sorts but by paying for ads at $30 a clip. Etsys reputation is decreasing because people are selling junk from overseas. Not vintage, not handmade just junk.

amys292
1/12/18

ordered an item for Etsy it never arrived so contacted the seller who said it couldn't be delivered because of a false address which isn't true. I have order items from my Etsy account using the same address and the items have always arrived. The seller then sent the tracking number and turns out the item had one failed delivery and then shipped back to the sender who refused to give me a refund claiming it was my fault for giving a wrong address. So the seller now has my item and money and i have nothing. Etsy did not listen or help just closed the case straight away basically saying tough by using and automated response.

carolynd57
1/6/18
• Updated review

I did get a response from etsy; they were able to put me in touch with the vendor; I did get my item after 3 weeks.

“don't order from etsy”
1/6/18
• Previous review

I ordered something on Dec. 8 & never received the item. Because I checked out as a guest, my email address was not file. When I contacted etsy, I got the reply, "sorry we aren't able to connect your order to a vendor". So I guess it's too bad for me. I will never again order form this site.

richc48
1/3/18

Will never use Etsy again...this is a scam...ordered this on Dec 6...says was shipped by shop Dec 8th...It is now Jan 3rd and still not here...according to tracking info - still in country of origin. Etsy will not do anything as the shop owner shows it as shipped. Who knows if they really shipped item or not. It was a Christmas gift. Now shop won't respond, I have no item and no refund. I will be going through my card company to dispute. What a nightmare and Etsy has TERRIBLE customer service.

californial1
1/3/18

I use this site for both selling and purchasing. As a buyer I've had very good experiences. Every shop is individually owned. As a seller I find the site is a great place to reach additional online traffic. However, it is constantly changing so there is a never ending learning curve. This can be difficult since sellers have no input or control on the physical site. Etsy has a customer service team for sellers and buyers. But, it usually takes 7-10 working days to receive a response to an email inquiry. I have always received a response and support. But, it's never been quick. They do outsource for phone support so tickets can be opened for additional support.
Over all I am happy with the site.

chinan
12/29/17

These reviews are horrible. I was considering doing quite a bit of spending on Etsy but it appears from the reviews that I WILL NOT! Shameful.

silviac30
12/29/17

Last time I bought somentthing on Etsy I didn't have any problems, but it was many months ago. I bought several items from different sellers and they always arrived on time and well packaged. I remember wwo items in particular because I loved them: the sellers have been very helpful and have personalized my order.
I hope that Etsy will become a better place to shop and sell.

screwe5
12/22/17

And unable to answer a simple question. Made 3 payments to a wonderful seller for my wife's wedding ring for Christmas. My last payment was still pending a day later when when my bank account was debited for $4300. I called my bank, processed on their end, no issues. Contact Etsy, you Know how much of a pain in the ass that is already. They say, sometimes that happens, no problem. I'm sending it over to a blah and they'll email you. I get an email that my order has been cancelled. I send email asking why. No response. Seller puts in for a call, seller puts in a request for them to call me. No response. Neither I nor the seller canceled. Then I get an email that my funds will be available back in my account in 2-5 business days. Well today was the last day for the seller to ship the ring in time for Christmas. Not only am I out $4300, Etsy won't tell me how or why it was cancelled and my wife is going to kill me on Christmas. I'm about to knock on some doors in Brooklyn... Then Ireland. I'll have nothing else to do after my divorce but to destroy this company. I'm taking them down. Jail? Oh well, at least I'll have a place to live because I'm a dead man come Christmas morning. How does this happen? I can't find anything online about anything similar happening but my luck can't be that bad to be the only one. Merry Christmas!

jasonm283
12/21/17

I ordered a product from a vendor on Etsy and never received the item. They want me to wait a week to resolve the issue even know the store closed in the middle of my transaction and took my money with them. Don't bother with this generic amazon.

janed251
12/19/17

Never order from this site!!!! Never received the order. Stay with Amazon or a more creditable site,

christinam144
Christina M.
12/16/17

Hi! I attempted to create an account, but then received a message that you were unable to send a confirmation email to me and to call Etsy Support. Problem is, there is no way to contact Etsy support. Can someone please help me?

lauram221
12/10/17

I love that you can find almost anything here. Hand made products are beautiful! I have never been disappointed and everyone has loved the gifts I have given them that I bought here! That's saying a lot when you're teenager is excited about your gift!

lhureem
12/7/17

I would stay away from buying anything from this website. I just had a recent experience where I bought 24 products from one looked like a reputable seller with an expectation of receiving the item in 1-3 business days. It has been 11 days since I ordered and still no product or a reply from the seller after multiple emails, messages through Etsy, and even googling them up in attempt to call the company personally. I opened a case yesterday in hope to get the sellers attention but because I still had no reply, I wanted to cancel the order and just get refunded. But unfortunately that is not how Etsy works. You have to wait for a 7 day period for where the seller and the buyer (myself) can try to resolve the issue. Then after 7 days if there is still no reply from the seller or no resolution, you as a buyer can escalate the issue and have Etsy try to have the seller refund you. Even then, I do not think you are guaranteed a full refund. THIS IS A POORLY STRUCTURED COMPANY GEARED TO SUPPORT CRIMINALS AND THIEVES. They really need to re-evaluate how they structure buyer/seller resolution. If the seller doesn't reply after a day or an open case or at least 2 days, the issue should be escalated immediately without having to wait 7 days. Especially on seasons like Christmas which is a time sensitive issue. Being a nurse and serving others every day all day, I expect to be treated the same way I treat my patient's. I am very disappointed at this website and advice anyone to avoid buying from here at all cost unless they change their refund policies. Ebay and Amazon is way better. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS ON THIS SITE!!!!

viviennec6
12/6/17

No quality control over what is produced - all CRAP CRAP CRAP - go local!!!
They have no control over what is produced and they have NO interest in resolving issues, they just make a cut putting vendors (not all that good) in touch with idiots like mysef who think by ordering through such a professional looking Website, it will all be lovely - NO WAY - go anywhere else!!

georgettek1
12/4/17

I love Etsy for its unique hand made items from all over the world. I can't always find what I want, but mostly do. I have gottenaa amazing gifts on there and my favorite unique greeting cards. Their website is easy to use and they sell mostly excellent products. One compliant is there is rarely ever free shipping. Sometimes the shipping is more than the product.

sylvied6
11/27/17

June she's the one to send an email for any coloring books you desire and she will do more then Her best to found that book and even if you are to canada and it's right no shipping to canada she will do Her possible to do the shipping.

deborahs114
11/27/17

Etsy only charges .20 cents peeiod. No final value fees or percentage of sales taken. Simply the best deal around. This company supports the small business owner and encourages reuse/recycle of goods. I sell on a lot of different venues but Etsy is my top choice.

honeyb10
11/27/17

I ordered four things,one was a skirt and the other three various hair accessoires.My skirt came and was really cute,even tough it was supposed to be green/blue and not green/pink.I'm still a bit regretful because I wanted a different skirt with an more stable and not so flexible material,but I fell in love with it anyway.I later on got two of the accesoires,and they were alright.But the last accessoire is still missing,and it's been two months.It should arrive in 1-2 weeks,but I yet need to get an answer from "deadlycherries".It's a bit sad on how I originally wanted to wear the antler headband for halloween,but It's already over.

shontelb
11/27/17

Hi I bought a couple things from Etsy. A personalized mug and key from the kids for my love for fathers day. They are amazing! I had minor questions and concern about the product and they were extremely helpful. They made sure that understood everything. I also had to change something at the last minute and they were ok with it. My products arrived on time and my kids were so excited.. They did really good. And I would recommend to anyone for their personalized needs. In fact I'm ordering from them again now for Christmas. They do excellent work.
Shon

mariem148
11/22/17

In retrospect - if you want to have buyers take advantage of you - get something for nothing and then YOU pay high postage and other fees with very little real ETSY traffic - go ahead and open one of these shops.

My sincere advice is take your money and dreams to another platform - Amazon, shopify and rubylane are more professional outfilts that value sellers just as much as their customers. I am soo angry with their absolutely obtuse dispute resolution...I can't put the words online.

I am sorry I started there and invested so much time and effort. Amazon is actively recruiting 'hand made sellers' and ETSY will soon realize the hard way that hand made sellers will move to other platforms when WE are not satisfied with their customer service. DONT SET UP A SHOP ON ETSY.

arleneb29
11/18/17

I bought 2 Keepsake Urns from Mayra Stoneware Design..They are outstanding. The workmanship is absolutely fantasic and the service I received from Mayra was excellent. I would recommend her work to anyone looking for such items.
Arlene B

tarao10
11/12/17

Reviewing a site like this is difficult - unless you've ever had a major issue with a particular seller on Etsy or actually sold on the site, you're likely to never have a reason to interact with the people of Etsy itself.
I've created and managed three shops on Etsy for a few, shall we say, not-so-internet-savvy older folks who wanted to get their crafts out into the world. Listing and editing is super easy with the site and if you ever have any questions or problems, Etsy customer service is amazing and generally pretty fast with a response.

Obviously the site cannot be held responsible for the actions (or inactions) of the very few bad eggs there are that you might experience as a frequent buyer. But they really are few-and-far in between since Etsy takes quick action on any reports that are made.

gabriellay
11/8/17

As a seller, I have to honestly inform other sellers that Etsy is a totally useless site! Selling on Etsy is nothing but a waste of time and energy!

andig3
10/31/17

I have found some seriously rare gems on Etsy for a very fair price. All the sellers have shipped on time and have been very friendly. My only complaint is that it is kind of hard to get your foot in the door as a seller and have your items be seen.

murield2
10/27/17

Etsy is an abusive company that may close your shop whenever they want under any excuse, even if you have several hundred sales with every review being 5 stars. You sell handmade, quality products and you make your customers happy ? It's not going to make any difference. Meanwhile, Etsy let Alibaba/Aliexpress re-sellers stay there.

Please, read this article, this is exactly that Etsy is:

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

11 Photos for Etsy