Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

lauram221
12/10/17

I love that you can find almost anything here. Hand made products are beautiful! I have never been disappointed and everyone has loved the gifts I have given them that I bought here! That's saying a lot when you're teenager is excited about your gift!

lhureem
12/7/17

I would stay away from buying anything from this website. I just had a recent experience where I bought 24 products from one looked like a reputable seller with an expectation of receiving the item in 1-3 business days. It has been 11 days since I ordered and still no product or a reply from the seller after multiple emails, messages through Etsy, and even googling them up in attempt to call the company personally. I opened a case yesterday in hope to get the sellers attention but because I still had no reply, I wanted to cancel the order and just get refunded. But unfortunately that is not how Etsy works. You have to wait for a 7 day period for where the seller and the buyer (myself) can try to resolve the issue. Then after 7 days if there is still no reply from the seller or no resolution, you as a buyer can escalate the issue and have Etsy try to have the seller refund you. Even then, I do not think you are guaranteed a full refund. THIS IS A POORLY STRUCTURED COMPANY GEARED TO SUPPORT CRIMINALS AND THIEVES. They really need to re-evaluate how they structure buyer/seller resolution. If the seller doesn't reply after a day or an open case or at least 2 days, the issue should be escalated immediately without having to wait 7 days. Especially on seasons like Christmas which is a time sensitive issue. Being a nurse and serving others every day all day, I expect to be treated the same way I treat my patient's. I am very disappointed at this website and advice anyone to avoid buying from here at all cost unless they change their refund policies. Ebay and Amazon is way better. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS ON THIS SITE!!!!

viviennec6
12/6/17

No quality control over what is produced - all CRAP CRAP CRAP - go local!!!
They have no control over what is produced and they have NO interest in resolving issues, they just make a cut putting vendors (not all that good) in touch with idiots like mysef who think by ordering through such a professional looking Website, it will all be lovely - NO WAY - go anywhere else!!

georgettek1
12/4/17

I love Etsy for its unique hand made items from all over the world. I can't always find what I want, but mostly do. I have gottenaa amazing gifts on there and my favorite unique greeting cards. Their website is easy to use and they sell mostly excellent products. One compliant is there is rarely ever free shipping. Sometimes the shipping is more than the product.

sylvied6
11/27/17

June she's the one to send an email for any coloring books you desire and she will do more then Her best to found that book and even if you are to canada and it's right no shipping to canada she will do Her possible to do the shipping.

deborahs114
11/27/17

Etsy only charges .20 cents peeiod. No final value fees or percentage of sales taken. Simply the best deal around. This company supports the small business owner and encourages reuse/recycle of goods. I sell on a lot of different venues but Etsy is my top choice.

honeyb10
11/27/17

I ordered four things,one was a skirt and the other three various hair accessoires.My skirt came and was really cute,even tough it was supposed to be green/blue and not green/pink.I'm still a bit regretful because I wanted a different skirt with an more stable and not so flexible material,but I fell in love with it anyway.I later on got two of the accesoires,and they were alright.But the last accessoire is still missing,and it's been two months.It should arrive in 1-2 weeks,but I yet need to get an answer from "deadlycherries".It's a bit sad on how I originally wanted to wear the antler headband for halloween,but It's already over.

shontelb
11/27/17

Hi I bought a couple things from Etsy. A personalized mug and key from the kids for my love for fathers day. They are amazing! I had minor questions and concern about the product and they were extremely helpful. They made sure that understood everything. I also had to change something at the last minute and they were ok with it. My products arrived on time and my kids were so excited.. They did really good. And I would recommend to anyone for their personalized needs. In fact I'm ordering from them again now for Christmas. They do excellent work.
Shon

mariem148
11/22/17

In retrospect - if you want to have buyers take advantage of you - get something for nothing and then YOU pay high postage and other fees with very little real ETSY traffic - go ahead and open one of these shops.

My sincere advice is take your money and dreams to another platform - Amazon, shopify and rubylane are more professional outfilts that value sellers just as much as their customers. I am soo angry with their absolutely obtuse dispute resolution...I can't put the words online.

I am sorry I started there and invested so much time and effort. Amazon is actively recruiting 'hand made sellers' and ETSY will soon realize the hard way that hand made sellers will move to other platforms when WE are not satisfied with their customer service. DONT SET UP A SHOP ON ETSY.

arleneb29
11/18/17

I bought 2 Keepsake Urns from Mayra Stoneware Design..They are outstanding. The workmanship is absolutely fantasic and the service I received from Mayra was excellent. I would recommend her work to anyone looking for such items.
Arlene B

tarao10
11/12/17

Reviewing a site like this is difficult - unless you've ever had a major issue with a particular seller on Etsy or actually sold on the site, you're likely to never have a reason to interact with the people of Etsy itself.
I've created and managed three shops on Etsy for a few, shall we say, not-so-internet-savvy older folks who wanted to get their crafts out into the world. Listing and editing is super easy with the site and if you ever have any questions or problems, Etsy customer service is amazing and generally pretty fast with a response.

Obviously the site cannot be held responsible for the actions (or inactions) of the very few bad eggs there are that you might experience as a frequent buyer. But they really are few-and-far in between since Etsy takes quick action on any reports that are made.

gabriellay
11/8/17

As a seller, I have to honestly inform other sellers that Etsy is a totally useless site! Selling on Etsy is nothing but a waste of time and energy!

andig3
10/31/17

I have found some seriously rare gems on Etsy for a very fair price. All the sellers have shipped on time and have been very friendly. My only complaint is that it is kind of hard to get your foot in the door as a seller and have your items be seen.

murield2
10/27/17

Etsy is an abusive company that may close your shop whenever they want under any excuse, even if you have several hundred sales with every review being 5 stars. You sell handmade, quality products and you make your customers happy ? It's not going to make any difference. Meanwhile, Etsy let Alibaba/Aliexpress re-sellers stay there.

Please, read this article, this is exactly that Etsy is:

bevj6
10/26/17

I'm thinking of closing my shop because after about a 7 year span, I've sold maybe only 50 items. My daughter opened a shop, she is over 18 years old, but used our address. She had a claim on her shop, and etsy SUSPENDED MY SHOP (as well as hers), with no notice to me, after I finally got through to a representative that was supposed to help, they told me there was overlapping information between the two shops and that is why MY shop was also suspended! The customer service experience was AWFUL, almost rude. This is the last sentence of the last email I received from them, copied and pasted. "Because we've shared all the information that we're able to regarding this connection, my team and I will be unable to respond to any further emails on the subject."
Even when I reached out with a new claim, they WILL NOT return an email. Absolutely saddened by this. I used to own stock in this company. I sold it.

dh410
10/24/17

Fair Warning to anyone that thinks ETSY is a "cool" place to shop. Had a seller put glass in a box without proper wrapping for $134.50 and ship it. Of course it arrived broken. Here's what happens next with this site:
1. I contact ETSY seller "SHORTPANTS" to tell her the packing was not sufficient - she tells me I broke it and ignores any request for refund.
2. I contact ETSY "customer service" get form emails but never get any response from a human. This was over 2 weeks ago, and they have never contacted me.
3. I file claim with AMEX after figuring out I'm dealing with a scam artist. AMEX refunds me. Again ETSY never responds.
4. I close the claim and give negative feedback. ETSY REMOVES negative feedback. I you check you will find it very rare that anyone in fairyland (ETSY) ever had negative feedback.
I will never buy anything from this site again. Their support is nonexistant, unless you are a dishonest seller, then you have it. If it were not for paying with AMEX or Paypal you are screwed. At any rate how fair is it that such a seller gets to keep my money?????

Tip for consumers: Dont buy on ETSY.

annav48
10/24/17

I do not know where to begin. I ordered a pair of earrings from SacredTribeArt TWO MONTHS ago and still have not received them. This is after contacting the seller myself, being ignored by the seller, and finally opening a case with Etsy's dispute resolution team one month ago. Needless to say, I am appalled by Etsy's customer service. Their "Dispute Resolution Team," is essentially useless. They claimed they would resolve the case with the seller, and ONE MONTH has gone by and still nothing. After trying to email the dispute team many times to see if I will be receiving my product or not, they just reply with PayPal's refund policy, failing to answer my question at all. I finally was able to speak on the phone (just now) with a customer service rep, and she essentially told me that I have to contact the shop owner myself, even though she knew I already had AND knew their account is suspended right now anyways. She basically said she could not do anything at all to help me. Apparently their "Dispute Resolution Team" is actually a figment of imagination. YOU ARE THE WORST ETSY!!!!! That is the last purchase I will ever make from your website, hands down the worst customer service I've ever been falsely offered.

poppieg
10/23/17

I've recently started a pin shop on Etsy as I wanted some extra cash for my college fund. So far I'm very impressed! I've had 15 sales so far and have made a few extra bucks I wouldn't have had. I highly recommend this site :)

marilyny4
10/22/17

I love etsy as you can buy things that are handmade and you can't find elsewhere. I have 2 shops on etsy and I am very happy with the website. I have also ordered a few times from other sellers and always have been very happy. Etsy's customer service used to be quite slow but now they are quite fast and helpful.
There are things that need improvement though but they are working on it.

lauraettee
10/21/17

I purchased a watch band for Apple watch. Very well made, nice leather, and the ends fit precisely to the watch
.. unlike many dealers selling Apple watch. It took about a week to arrive which was also excellent and efficient! Lauraette Evans

rhondak25
10/21/17

Stay away from ordering items of any kind, takes three weeks or more to get your items and the items don't look NOTHING like the pictures, the fabric is super cheap looking.and the sizes run very , very, small, sizes not near to being close to a true size.all of this is true especially if it us coming from China!

paular58
10/20/17

Anyone new to Etsy needs to be aware that when it comes to buyers they couldn't care less. I opened a case against a seller after waiting nearly three months for an item I'd paid for to arrive. I did this because the seller claimed that I was being unreasonable to expect to have received an item sent from Canada to London in that time period and assured me that I just needed to be patient. After checking the shipping times between Canada and the UK, I realised the seller was being less than honest, especially as they could not furnish proof of postage receive a . I believed that Etsy would agree I should receive a refund. However, a short while later I received a form email from an Etsy customer support person telling me that they decided in the seller's favour, as they had an admin number which was proof the item had been sent. I queried what an admin number was and was sent another form email this time claiming that the seller had shown them a tracking number as proof. This was news to me as the seller had told me that a tracking number was not available. I contacted Etsy again and this time was told it was not a tracking number but a 'shipping receipt' When I asked what that was, I was given a very convoluted explanation, which basically boiled down to the seller having printed off a shipping label from Etsy. I pointed out that was not proof that the seller had actually posted the item, just proof they had printed off a label and that I wanted to see proof of purchase. The Etsy representative tried to use the confidentiality excuse before admitting they had actually seen a proof of purchase. In other words, despite their 'investigations,' they had done no more than look to see if the seller had printed off one of their labels. I fail to see the purpose of inviting users of the site to open cases when they clearly can't be bothered to actually investigate. Instead they simply wait a few hours before emailing a draft email. The three I received from three different representatives were identical. But don't take my word for it, check out the scores of bad reviews they racked up and judge for yourself.

andrewj112
10/11/17

I have ordered several items...decals for my car and my fiancees car. I had Just received my Superman window decal. I have had no problem and i had received my orders withing 3-4 days depending on where it was coming from. The customer service was excellent. Thanks Etsy. I will recommend them to folks....oh wait....i already have done tht.

briannam21
10/10/17

Been waiting on my order for awhile now still haven't got it can't get ahold of nobody to talk too will not order from them again.

danah64
10/9/17

Received a second bird from this artist ... birds are delicate and very lifelike. I bought a pure white one and a blue jay. They are sitting on a lampshade and at Christmas, the white one sits on my tree (I bought the white one at a sale before this artist opened on Etsy). Love them! You can be sure that this seller will deliver as promised.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

11 Photos for Etsy