Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

mikeg664
3/14/19

I opened an Etsy shop approximately 9 months ago. A friend, who had been doing business with Etsy for several years, helped me to open the shop and helped me to list the items I wanted in my shop. Recently, my shop was shut down. Even though Etsy claimed to have sent me an e-mail, they did not. They sent that e-mail to my friend. She has violated Etsy policy. Because her IP address was used to log into my shop, Etsy not only shut her down, they shut me down too. I contacted Etsy and only received automated responses from Etsy legal. I question if they actually have employees in that department as I would send a message stating that I had never received an e-mail from them and did not have any associated shops. The response was always "check the e-mail we sent to you for the information'. I would reply "I didn't get an e-mail from you" and the response was "check the e-mail we sent to you for the information". I think the respondent is either a computer or a terribly lazy employee. After getting nowhere with legal, I filed a dispute with Etsy. The note I received after the dispute was filed said that someone would be in touch with me when my dispute was reviewed by the legal staff. I went into the dispute center to check the status of my dispute and guess what??? The dispute was marked "Complete" and I NEVER received any communication at all from Etsy. In addition, they are holding my last pay for 6 MONTHS AND I DID NOTHING WRONG! I guess they can scam some interest $ on my money for the next 6 months. My items were custom made and nothing could be returned after 30 days so there was no reason to hold my money for 6 months!!! Etsy has also taken money from seller's bank accounts without authorization (see google search for February 22, 2019) and it appears they are now skimming money from the top of sellers accounts. Sellers are setting a minimum charge for Etsy services and Etsy is over charging those folks by a penny or so each time they provide the service (which is multiple times a day). With hundreds of thousands of sellers, they are making a killing stealing from their sellers! Etsy is the most unethical company I have every had the non-pleasure of working with. This business is a cesspool of unethical behavior and unscrupulous business practices. If I could give 0 stars, I would.

royc149
3/12/19

I ordered a leica case on the 18th of Jan 2019. been almost 2 months now and they have not dispatched the item neither have they give me an explanation on the delay..

anyan2
3/3/19

I've been buying on Etsy since 2013 and I just opened my own shop on there last year. I would highly recommend buying on Etsy, but if you are a seller please be aware Etsy will nickel and dime you to death and will make it difficult to get your items seen if you don't pay for their "promoted" listings. They charge you a fee for shipping (even though YOU pay for shipping to customers yourself and Etsy has nothing to do with it!) a fee for each of your for listings and of course they take a percentage of the sale. Now there is a tax that shows up when you make sales to certain states. In the last year they started a campaign where they promote "free shipping" seller's listings above all others- basically ensuring that the sellers that already sell mass quantities continue to get prime spots in the search and those of us that have to charge for shipping (because we are single-person operations and cannot afford to offer free shipping...) get knocked to the bottom of the listing feed. This has taken my daily clicks on items from 30-40 a day to zero some days since the change. It's so disheartening after all the work I put into my shop. Customer service is extremely friendly and empathize when you have an issue, but their hands are tied and they have no real power to change anything. Etsy will also hold your money for days- sometimes more than a week after sale! If you are counting on the sale money to be able to ship the item then you end up risking an unhappy customer who has to wait- just because Etsy can't immediately deposit your funds for no reason at all. (And thanks to Amazon most customers EXPECT their item to be sent immediately and arrive in two days...even though that is completely unreasonable to expect from a seller who is doing this as a side job!) It used to be a great site to buy quality handmade artisan goods, but now it seems like anything goes...most of the listings are just wholesale items from China. If Etsy could try to make more of an effort to return to its craftsy/artsy roots and encourage sellers instead of making it so difficult for them to succeed it would be nice, but as with most of these corporations...I won't hold my breath. I'm working on building my own site for future sales so I won't be put out of business by greedy corporate fees by Etsy.

linc21
2/26/19

I ordered some stickers for a friends birthday. I looked for a sticker seller with great reviews and I ordered the stickers. Shipping took longer than expected as apparently since I ordered on the weekend it wasn't marked as a real order till a week later when I messaged them about it. So after a week my package has finally just been shipped. It takes approximately three weeks to get at my house for two stickers. Nonetheless, my friend was very happy about her stickers as it was of her favorite bands. So even if the seller has great reviews there's always some problems.

kentb69
2/25/19

Purchased aquarium plants on Etsy shop Planterest. Item never shipped. Poor customer service from planterest and Etsy. Only got refund after disputed charge with bank. Beware no phone numbers to call thwir venders. Its very risky to buy anything in here .

brett11
2/24/19

I opened a shop and listed 47 items. I sold three things right away to the tune of about $110. After a few days the funds were not available to transfer. I spoke to them and they said the funds would be available that day but it never happened. The problem for me is that it can take 5 days after the request for funds to get the money so I figured, including weekends, it would be about 10 days from the sale date to get the money. I'm sure they spell all this out in their policies and many people will side with them because I didn't read them entirely before doing business with them. That's fine if you want to miss the point you have every right to do so. I don't do business with companies that hold my funds. That's just how I roll.

juliec407
2/22/19

Ordered the mens Tungston wood wedding ring. The instructions were quite helpful in gaining the right sizing before ordering

claudiab103
2/20/19

Once in a month i bought something handmade from here and i can totally say i love the quality and etsy customer service is great!

alexeys29
2/11/19

ello. hwhat's happening? why my order stuck in payment processing 3 days? and you charge my credit card for USD 99.94 at feb 9. it looks bad for such a company

lavettes
Lavette S.
2/9/19

First of all, Etsy does not openly provide a customer service number for sellers. You have to submit a support request online and wait 2 days for an email replay to finally get the number (844-659-3879) which asks you to enter your call back number in a que and wait for someone to call you back. The problem is, the 1st level of support that you receive a call from can only update email addresses and that's it. I was locked out of my account due to an old cell number and could not get back in. Because of this, I could not even log in to enter a support ticket because the login process requires you to enter a code from your cell phone on top of your login id and password. I had to set up "purchaser" user account with Etsy, just to be able to login and enter the trouble request for my seller account. I'm at the point where my request has now been so called "escalated" to a "specialist" who will email me, NOT CALL ME, to provide additional support! FOR THE AMOUNT OF FEES YOUR CHARGED AS A SELLER, THE CUSTOMER SERVICE TOTALLY SUCKS! ONE THIS PROBLEM IS RESOLVED I'M CLOSING MY STORE AND MOVING TO A PAID SITE. THE WORST PART IS, I HAVE ORDERS SITTING IN MY SHOP THAT I CAN'T PROCESS BECAUSE OF THIS....5 DAYS LATER AND STILL WAITING.

corrupte
2/9/19

I have been using Etsy for 3 years with little to no issue. The shops give freebies, write kind notes and products are always accurately described. I had an odd experience when I took a risk with a rule I never break- 'don't buy items that cost less than your s&h'.. I've always had bad luck with this and that's just my opinion.
I ordered a scented product- everyone thought it smelled like p!ss! Straight up.. like their pet did something to it before it got shipped over.. that bad. I wasn't gonna say anything until I noticed just how strange the system is to refund it. It took almost a month of wheeling and dealing towards this. I have to argue my case because they allow shop owners to have a policy that basically disallows any refunds, returns or exchanges.. I mean, unless what you're selling is edible or underwear.. even then, ridiculous.
I have to 'present my case' to Etsy and hope they "rule in my favor." Can anyone think of just one website that does this? Its not because of individual sellers.. Ebay has that, poshmark has that.. So why does Etsy favor shop owners? Why would this process be so difficult unless it wasn't for profit on behalf of Etsy? If purchased products are too difficult to refund.. a customer is going to give up. The shop owner and Etsy share profit- the end. Yup!
As I wrote my review after receiving a refund.. ofc I expected this outrageous reply from a shop owner who used all caps, exclamations and the most high school tone I've ever seen.. What I didn't expect was for the owner to spread lies.. everything from the fact that Etsy disagreed with me but I got a refund soo? To she filed the case and escalated it? Um.. no again. To my friends and family have concentrated on her shop and we all ban together to leave her bad reviews...yup.. Oh and one more thing, I verbally abused her staff... I wish there was proof of it. I reported it and it was ignored ofc. No guidelines were violated according to Etsy which has all the info in their system to prove that these are lies.. to be able to accuse a customer of abuse is "within their policy."

If your review is less than 3 stars out of 5, Etsy will not allow you to respond to the reply. Most replies you see on reviews are pre-written apologies. On this shop owners reviews, you can see the owner constantly berating the customer in the reply to the reviews.

Why did I do this? It was not for money; it was sheer morbid curiosity for the rumours I've heard against Etsy. Is this really how their system works? Is there really this odd community of witches there who get away with quite a bit? Its all true folks.

I am quite an avid shopper.. There isn't a single website I ever been on that makes a customer do this when they are unsatisfied. Take your chances and be suspicious- If Etsy doesn't have your back, I encourage you to use Social media and spread awareness of this nasty bs.

p.s. I dont want to mention what the Shop is because I'm almost positive the witch will stalk this and complain, I cant be bothered! If you see an Etsy store preaching their ever-precious tumbled gemstones(some the size of miniature gravel) and handmade incense marked down to as little as $2-3 then you probably found the shop.

OH and good luck with tracking your item. Shop owners and Etsy have the right to apparently hide tracking information! I currently have to contact the post office to find out about $50+ worth of products purchased in Nov-Dec 2018. I'm obviously going to avoid going through Etsy to resolve this, just go to your bank for corrupt, desperate businesses like this.

I am sorry this is so long but these business practices are bizarre and I don't understand how its even legal.

Tip for consumers: Go through your bank for refunds, dont bother with the Etsy system.

tommyr35
2/6/19

It'd be a much better site if I wasn't charged selling/listing fees for items not sold/listed.

It's a decent merchant community...but the admins have to get a better grip on business practices before they become eBay/Listia/Craigslist...

mikes1638
2/5/19

So we always hear the problems on the buyers' side. However, ETSY is a complete scam ring, specifically for sellers.
I had my store for 2+ years with 100s of transactions. Everything was smooth, but I never invested too much, because I read reviews, like this one. There were no real profits, if you count shipping charges, ETSY fees, my invested time and overall experience. I considered it to be a self-sustained green house environment, where all profits went right back to listing fees and paying for materials; that is not a business for profit, more a charity on my part.
So this lady buyer purchased something from me with overseas shipping. And after 3 month opened a request for item not received!! Leaves negative feedback and speaks very rude. So ETSY jumps in and refunds. Ok.
In a day or so I find my account suspended and entire seller balance TAKEN by ETSY. They STOLE ALL MY MONEY!!!

What is even more amusing is that I never received a human email with warning, instructions, asking me my side of the story.... NOTHING!! Not a single line, not a single email or message. ZERO.
So if you are a seller, expect that at some point you will be robbed of all your money and will not have a means to contact them to resolve this issue. Emails are not answered, as expected..
If you are a buyer on ETSY, you got a green light to cheat, lie, whatever. Claim not received, claim not as described. ETSY will refund you, but take down sellers account, together with whatever is in the accounts.
Just hoping this scam company will bankrupt itself soon enough.

UPDATE!! I recently found an illegal charge on my credit card from ETSY.com. They take whatever amount they decided, without asking for my consent, without notifying me of a charge they are going to do, nothing. This activity, (to charge other people's credit card) without consent nor notification is a definition of INTERNET FRAUD. And they did exactly this.
So be aware, ETSY is an Internet scam website.

jamesa614
2/3/19

Very one-sided website. It's all about the "all mighty dollar!" We had to get our credit card company involved to resolve the transaction. Some of the items can't be returned after, the Buyer receives the item and finds out that the item isn't as described. This is called "consumer fraud!" I hope the Attorney General shuts them down!

coralb10
2/2/19

No matter how many time's i email them about problems with my shop i get no answer. They have just charged me for making my shop, which i can't sell on because of the issues I've emailed them about and still nothing

prasannab
1/27/19

Etsy makes sellers promote their stuff by staking high bids. Wasting my money every month to "get views". Once I get a sale after 15 days it pays off the money I spent to get the views. So many sellers on etsy, such few buyers, Etsy is a scam.

franzg5
1/21/19

I have been on Etsy for 10 years. Since Etsy has been taken over Josh Silverman (glorified on thejewishnews.com), this website is now horrible, fees are higher and sales dropped for most of the sellers. Their rules are shady.

They stand as 'handmade plateform' which even more shady, now just type in search 'dildo' and you will find and see what I mean.

If you are a seller, stay away from this plateform!

wandah75
1/20/19

Purchased a Scrunchie 08/18 & was suppose to be 100% Human Hair. Was NOT, & would not give a Refund.

Tip for consumers: Would not recomend to anyone

samanthac193
1/15/19

I ordered two gifts from them for Christmas and I did not get either one of them. For the first purchase, I was notified after Christmas that there was a glitch in the system and what I ordered was already sold. The second, I had to open a case to find out where it was and after a lot of back and forth I still did not get the item. So there was over $200.00 tied up in presents that never came.

dennisb305
1/15/19

I ordered two tapes from a vendor from the web site ETSY. this was on Dec 17.2018.The vendor on the order receipt stated that it would take 1 to 2 weeks to send them.One month later i sent several e mails to the site.NO answer at all.so i opened a complaint with ETSY.well again not a thing was done.AGAIN I SENT E MAIL TO THEM NOT A THING AGAIN.so last thing i had to do was get ahold of the credit card company.They are looking into the problem.To keep from having this problem dont use this web site.They are a total rip off.

anned115
1/6/19

Yet another taken for a ride by Etsy
Yet another taken for a ride by Etsy this Christmas! Spent £27 on gift, 13th Dec, e mail indicated it shipped 15th Dec, but no tracking info. Money has left my account, no gift, no response from seller or Etsy. Don't go here, they are rip off merchants!!

raneea
Ranee A.
1/3/19

I thought Etsy was great until I tried to create a seller account.

You're at the mercy of the seller for the products you order. Some are ethical and some are not. Most of my purchases have been pretty ethical. This is just like ebay but without the bidding. You're at the sheer mercy of the seller.

I tried to create my own Etsy account only to find I was stopped at the bank account information. No you can't just give them your debit card number. You have to give your entire bank account number router and all. I had a bad experience with this once else where and will never do it again. I've created a third bank account to form this business. Unless you have hordes of merchandise and give out dozens of it for free to boost your sales your sales struggle. The higher rating your business is the more apt you are going to show up in the first page of searches. I gave up on this dream in three months.

erikab58
12/20/18

Dont buy ever at this BS market place. Seller totally liar and dont refund my money. I place order for abaya and what i received is TOP with cheap details. How come? And etsy said they cant do anything about it? Is this serious? Sh*t! Dont ever buy or you will lose ur money!

angelicam37
12/18/18

I bought a shirt and it said it was sending forever. It's been months and the tracking number doesn't work and I don't even know how to get my money back you're better off buying on wish. The good reviews are Probably fake reviews.

ulricl
12/18/18

I wish I reviewed this company before shopping, I wouldn't be here leaving my own review of how negatively I was treated. I opened a non-delivery case with them concerning a necklace I purchased from one of the shops (gorgeous) selling on their site. I was never contacted/emailed about the case I opened. They just closed it. Ultimately I lost money but it's a lesson learned. If ur interest is obtaining items which promotes ur positive energy shop elsewhere not at ETSY. If they tolerate shops like gorgeous then those items are not coming from a spiritually positive place. This was a Kyanite stone yellow gold necklace for my wife and it wasn't valuable enough to have it shipped UPS requiring a signature. DELETE THE ETSY APP FROM YOUR DEVICES. I pray this helps someone from making the same mistake as I did.

914 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?