Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

allam11
9/6/18

I really like their creams, Home Brew natural coffee hand and body cream is just awesome! No doubt I give five stars!

adams454
8/30/18

Do not trust positive reviews coming from Etsy scammers and thieves! Of course that they don't want you to know about their scamming tactics! Every person KNOWS what it wants to buy but scammers on Etsy DO NOT SELL what they claim to be selling! Etsy's "case system" is bot-operated and automated to side with scammers pretending to be "sellers" because Etsy needs them - NOT YOU! Scammers share their stolen funds with Etsy - not customers! BEWARE AND REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM!

johnr1095
8/25/18

Etsy, a site a previous review of mine defends.. is now on the chopping block for me. I just witnessed this week alone Etsy charging innocuous small amounts to a credit card of mine I used a year ago to make a purchase. One dollar fishing charges by the looks, labeled as Etsy Seller Fees I never linked this card to Etsy I only found them because the card has been paid off. I canceled the card. Whether Etsy is doing it or some hacker, fishing fees seem a great way to steal without being noticed. If a 1000 cards were hacked then thats 1000 ways to hide small charges that might go unnoticed rather than 1000 bucks stolen from one card... think about it.
ALSO.. in the Etsy forums, a place Etsy touts as a safe haven for both buyers and sellers.. an Etsy seller posted a contact number for Etsy support. Now Etsy support is notoriously spotty as it's mostly a self run site meaning ..youre on youre own! Its a nightmare to get anybody to email you back or call.. so this post was a helpful thing, and Etsy REMOVED it before I could read the 3rd page of replies. That kinda stinks Just what is Etsy hiding from? I have posted the screen shot I took before the post was removed. And what the heck is Etsy doing with our credit info?
If you find small charges you didn't authorize on your cards you used on Etsy call your card provider and close that card out. Your provider will send you a new card with a new number Etsy doesn't have.

lisab718
8/23/18

I find it impossible to believe that despite of all the warnings, people still visit and get scammed on Etsy! Unsure in which language should any of us speak to make people understand that Etsy is a dangerous scam website whose sole purpose is to steal your money and to sell your personal details to other scam sites. I have been scammed out of $2400 in late 2017 and I had no where to turn! Calling the police or reporting the case to the FBI (Internet Crime Complaint Center) did not sort anything! Anyone can set up a "shop" on Etsy, link it to their PayPal account and put fake item images from the internet pretending that they are selling them. WAKE UP AND DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO THOSE ONLINE PREDATORS!!!

johnf744
8/21/18

I see an item and like it, it's reasonably priced, I check to see how much shipping it is and usually ranges from $10 to $40!!!!!! FOR SHIPPING!!!! That's insane. Either the vendors need to lower the original price for the item or there needs to be a base price for all shipping!!!

tinalouisel
8/14/18

Transaction fees, payment processing fees and listing fees... plus I received notification that transaction fees are being increased again to 5% making total seller fees 8.5% (plus listing fees) of your total price. And that's just the minimum. Etsy now has a tiered service plan for sellers who can buy up to receive additional services.

I'm a small business owner with high overhead and it's just not worth paying their cut, when I can use my website (3% payment processing built in) and social media avenues (which are free).

I closed my Etsy shop as soon as they notified me that they were raising their rates again. Not worth it as a seller in my opinion.

I'd have given a 1-star review save for my fantastic experience as a buyer. So... 2 stars!

lewisb61
8/12/18

What I ordered was useless, did not work and had parts missing. Seller did not respond to my many attempts to reach him, so considering the cost and hassle of returning the item I tossed it in the recycle and said goodbye to my $69.95. Stay away from ETSY.

ginan17
8/10/18

Purchased dress only to have the incorrect dress shipped to me. Then the seller, sanyagold, sent my information to the other, vivian alexander. Vivian works for the federal government, proceeded to utilize the federal database to locate my contact information. Vivian then contacted my office and proceeded to harass my staff for the better part of a week concerning the exchange of this dress. When etsy was called concerning the mixup and release of my personal information, they refused to assist and allowed the vendor to remain on the site without concern. I was left to go to paypal for return of my monies. I would be careful with this site as they may be sharing more than names and addresses with people.

nellya10
8/7/18

Sellers are more protected than buyers and the buyers are not genuine for example they wont let u cancel orders that are not yet shipped they force u to take them even when u have decided to change ur mind. And then very expensive compared to other places for the same products.

rn46
8/6/18

I have been buying antiques and art for several years on etsy, and the sellers are getting more and more dishonest and belligerent. I always use paypal for an extra level of protection, but the dealer can still stick you with all the shipping charges if you return something, even if they lied in the description of the piece. The level of honestly and professionalism was much better three years ago.

lynneb64
8/2/18

Poor quality merchandise attempt at a return was futile. Customer service does not respond. Several attempts to contact them went unacknowledged.

shivaj2
8/2/18

I purchased a clock and They sent me a rubbish clock, I paid $10 for shipping and $75 for clock and $10 again for return and they received the clock 2 weeks ago But they don't answer my massages and they didn't give me back my money.

danielleo19
7/25/18

They don't vet their sellers at all and will advertise anyone. Beware of the endless scammers and useless customer service reps- SHOUTOUT TO TYLIE! If you want to be disappointed and ripped off then etsy is the place for you! So excited to sit around for the next 3 hours and wait for this alleged supervisor call back. I have been a seller and patron on this site for YEARS and never again will I give them 1 cent.

judys254
7/22/18

Poor. Item ordered was not as expected. Contacted seller same day item was delivered, requesting return address. Seller cannot find order and asked what was purchased. This information was supplied, still no response from seller. Follow email sent to seller. Again seller asked what was ordered and info was recent. Again, no response from seller. This was my first purchase from Esty and will be my last.

wf23
7/19/18

I have had great luck finding fun items that I can afford. Sellers have always been super friendly too.

selmac4
7/19/18

Terrible customer service no response to any emails. Theres no published phone number to contact customer service All nine bachelorette girls have been tracking their shirts to no avail. Contacting seller to no avail. Etsy still has not responded. None of ours have arrived in time, most didnt arrive at all. Site says 1 to 2 business days its been 2 to 3 weeks Buyer beware! Id never use Etsy or Quteez, seller, again!!!

tawniat
7/17/18

As a seller , for quite a few years now I really don't know why I haven't left earlier. I have spent so much time and effort on my shop and products, and given Etsy way to much money... I found that some of MY INVENTIONS would be copied , so I just took them off all together.
There's to many and to much CRAP shall I say , on there... LOts of OVERSEAS shall we say sellers., and It seems if you don't pay for Extra advertising , well.... YOu get lost in the shuffle.
I felt like I was being nickel and Dimed just more and more... They were making more off of me than I was making myself.. I did the WEB page new thing they have.... The constant renewal fees,,,everytime I made a sell fees...uploaded item fees....and now with all the new stuff they have coming at us...For THEM to make money...
My Items are getting further and further back in the Pile.
I am leaving you Etsy, you done me wrong... Making my own website with another host where I have more control over the Design of my pages....and can put as many things on it and whatever I want it, without being shut down and not be charged extra....
I am actually saving money!!!
I will continue to buy my Items from the sellers, my suppliers I have grown to love,,, they have been good to me... But I think being on MY Own is so much more freeing than that NIckel and Dime Shop they have going on.... Good Luck everyone.

jennifera58
7/14/18

The American consumer needs to be very careful about dealing with the website etsy.com. Etsy has fashioned itself as an online platform where people come together to buy and sell goods. However, the piece that the folks who run Etsy are missing and do not seem to care is the safety and protection of buyers from unscrupulous sellers who deliberately pass their fake merchandise off as real.

I made a purchase 6 months ago from a seller with fake merchandise and a fake name to go along with his Etsy profile. Essentially, the guy used Etsy in order to pull off his scam knowing that the website had no way of vetting him as a seller. More than likely, the seller had been a long time Craigslist scammer and troll, and was caught by law enforcement. Now, he is using other online trading websites such as Etsy to rob people.

Matters went from bad to worse when the lying, stealing and cheating Etsy employees with the Donald Trump mentality sided with the scammer and refused to refund my money. Etsy accepted the fact that the seller was a fraud, however the company is so money hungry, it would tolerate any form of criminal activity just to stay afloat. Etsy's written policy requires a buyer to send back merchandise that is defective or damaged but not fake. If it's fake and you buy it, too bad. I sent back the fake jewelry to the seller with the fake name (Alexander Shayevich) of Flushing, New York to the same UPS Store box number which was on the original shipping label. This is when things became twisted.

Etsy did what they do which was to claim that the jewelry had never been returned or received by the so-called seller and therefore no refund could be issued to me, the buyer of the fake jewelry. Essentially, Etsy took the word of a lying, piece of trash, low-life Russian criminal that he never received the jewelry, over an honest, upstanding member of my community and society. As I stated, it has been more than six months of fighting with Etsy which is akin to trying to rehabilitate a sex offender.

Impossible!

So, please take my story as a cautionary tale about buying from someone on Etsy. If you feel the need to deal with this website, read the reviews very carefully, first. From all appearances, Etsy screws both buyers as well as legitimate sellers out of money. However, the New York State Attorney General has racked up a large number of complaints about Etsy and encourages victims to file complaints with their office. It is also a good idea to contact a local consumer reporter in your city as well as post your negative experience with Etsy online via social media. This spreads the word that Etsy cannot be trusted and that consumers should steer clear of the website.

Etsy is the new craigslist and there is nothing good that could be said about craigslist. If you do not believe me, call your local police department and ask to speak to someone in their Internet crimes division.

caitlyns13
7/14/18

I purchased a cake topper as my first item on this site. I am so in love with it and I am so happy with how it turned out since I was so nervous to buy it because it was coming all the way from Turkey. However, all my fears and nerves were for nothing because it was beautifully made and I can't wait to put it on top of my wedding cake!

tarrac
7/12/18

Before you start an account review everything very carefully. I knew they took a percentage of sales most do, but I didn't realize they charged you to list items. After browsing the site, it seemed more like small businesses and not a place for those of us who liked to do crafts and make a little bit of money. I was under the impression it was a great place to sell crafts for those of us who do it because we love it, and just want to make a little money, but after looking at the sellers, they seemed more like small arts and crafts stores.

lyg1
7/12/18

I am a seller on Etsy for 6 years and I find it challenging and fun for the most part. My shop has many different vintage items for sale. I love the diversity of having a curiosity shop online with shelves I keep well stocked and shelves I don't have to dust.
I advise buyers to be curious and ask the seller questions.
A good seller will answer them honestly and promptly.
I advise the buyer to look at the reviews before making a purchase.
I also advise the buyer should read the whole sellers comments. The section of shop policy is very important in that the seller will alert buyers of the "rules" like refunds or "all sales final" etc.
Most sellers will not refund the shipping as the shipping services don't either, ie, FedEx, USPS, UPS.
Why should a seller pay to take back an item if the seller wants to return it? Unless it was sold and was "not as described", then the seller should pay for shipping.
I have had many contacts with the staff at Etsy, and they always get back to me promptly and always try their best to resolve any problem or issue I may ask about.
They go to great lengths to make suggestions or to explain a policy or steps that should be taken next to correct the problem.
I like Etsy, and I am glad and proud to be a merchant there.

marcelas6
7/5/18

Etsy used to be a wonderful handmade marketplace, USED to be. The problem with this company is the horrible unfriendly and completely unprofessional people working behind. Non existent customer support for sellers or buyers, NO number to call, emails get's automated responses. Now, with their wholesale and expansion, you got all the sellers form Alibaba, Aliexpress, DHGate and all those asian cheap marketplaces filled with FAKE items and mass produced items, been sold as handmade on etsy. WHAT A JOKE!

ETSY IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY THAT NO LONGER CARES ABOUT IT'S SELLERS. THEY FORGOT WHO MADE ETSY SUCCESSFUL, THE SELLERS!

The new CEO care even less for sellers than Chad the previous CEO did. Josh only cares about making money at all cost for the shareholders, as the good capitalist he is proud to be. The old values and what once was Etsy, is completely GONE!

I hope their greed and lack of moral values and appreciation for the people who made Etsy be what it is today, make them fail. They're horrible people, trust me as an insider I know!

priscillam33
7/3/18

DONT EVER USE ETSY:

I sold a Chanel Vintage Sunglasses (Chanel 01945) on Etsy in the value of $2.000.

The buyer got the glasses and decided she wanted to return them.

She sent me back an EMPTY package, and Etsy said they couldnt hold the buyer responsible.

I had to hire a lawyer to take them to Court.

Etsy is the WORST shopping website Ive ever used!!!

************
NUNCA USE O ETSY:

Eu vendi um óculos de sol vintage da Chanel (Chanel 01945) no valor de 2.000 dólares.

A compradora disse que queria devolvê-lo.

Ela me enviou de volta um pacote VAZIO, e o Etsy disse que não poderia responsabilizá-la.

Eu tive que contratar um advogado pra levá-los pra Justiça.

Etsy é o PIOR site the compras que eu já usei!!

normal27
6/27/18

is like running a store in the Third Reich or Soviet Russia. The whole site is toxic with snitches and spies who will report competitors to bring them down.

We recently found out that one of the things on Etsy that can affect your search ranking (ie how you get seen in search) is something called a "citizen score". Now one can understand if this so called score is based purely on business criteria, such as the service you provide to consumers (as expressed in reviews) how you handle problems, how quickly you ship orders and so one.

However it is also based on how the mods on the forum rate you and whether they consider you a good contributor or a trouble maker. Now lets be clear that the so-called forum mod is an entry level position and so these high school hipsters are judging people who are skilled artisans. Or in my case, a person who has the highest degree qualification one can gain in my country. And in my country you cant do a degree with multiple choice questions. Nor do we have degrees in baton twirling! So these quasi educated kids are passing judgement on how good a "citizen" you are based on what you say in the forums.

Now you will begin to see the sense of the references to Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia - both of them snitches and informers paradise.

gwenh7
6/11/18

Etsy is an amazing online store to purchase handmade unusual items of all kinds. From custom household items, jewelry, baby gifts, custom eats, to just about anything you would ever find at a huge high end custom warehouse with high end vendors, if there was ever such a thing available. It is available on Etsy,com!

914 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?