Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

kh650
10/1/18

Lots of disreputable third party sellers now. Search engine is atrocious. It is difficult to log in to an Etsy in another country, which is ridiculous. Etsy is also letting sellers sell any items they want; many! are not hand made or even art.

terrih42
10/1/18

SITTIN PRETTY WITH MYLEEN RIPPED ME OFF $450 ON AN ITEM I PURCHASED THAT THEY REFUSED TO SHIP TO ME. THEY REPEATEDLY MADE EXCUSES OF WHY IT HADN'T BEEN SHIPPED. LONG STORY SHORT. THEY REFUNDED THE MONEY FOR THE ITEM AND KEPT $450 SHIPPING. THEY WERE 100% IN THE WRONG AND ETSY WOULD DO NOTHING.

jennar34
9/29/18

Words cannot express the terribleness of this monster scam known as "Etsy"! Whoever those inhumane criminals are, they deserve capital punishment! STAY AWAY!!!

clarar37
9/25/18

I sold alot of homeade jewlery and scrubs and alot of people sent back great feedback. I also ordered natural lip balms from their. They lasted me a long time

tobyh27
9/22/18

I used to use Etsy to purchase items online. Lately however, I've encountered a number of rude sellers including one whom I had asked a question about something and got a rude reply. Later, when I posted my review and exposed her behavior, she sent me a nasty "conversation" because I didn't give her five stars, and didn't like my review She threatened and blocked me. I replied back but not in the way they liked (yes I was wrong and I apologized.) She then reported me to Etsy, who decided to close all my accounts but did not address the seller's behavior. They were only concerned that I had violated their policies, and even after saying yes and told them it wouldn't happen again, still chose to close all my accounts.

Turns out the seller has done this many times before with buyers who don't give her glowing reviews - shouts at them in CAPS, threatens and blocks them. Has done it for years and Etsy allows her to keep her account and act this way.

What a classy site with rude sellers and uncaring staff!

milanc
9/14/18

Ordered a cake topper for our wedding in December, Was promised to receive it by June/July. It is September and I haven't received it. Called Etsy for assistance as the missed window will make me incur extra costs since our venue is out of town and we went on a trip to the venue in August to take all purchased accessories and decor items to necessary vendors in our luggage(as to avoid paying to ship them). Etsy says oh well, enjoy your topper we can't make the vendor do anything. Vendor has not sent any proof of any kind and then sends me an email today sayin I shipped it and added items to it that you didn't ask for and I missed the details that you did ask for. Wedding planning can be very stressful but i've been fortunate that mine has not been with the exception of this unprofessional vendor and etsy's lackadaisical support department.

dianam243
9/11/18

Now this Etsy scam has reached further heights by paying review websites such as this one to remove negative reviews and replace them with fake positive ones! In November 2017, Etsy did have 1,028 negative reviews which suddenly dropped to only 114 in December! Worse yet, the scam site was proclaimed the winner of "Sitejabber's 2017 Customer Choice Award". Ridiculous! Etsy is determined to remain the leader in Internet fraud business and they are doing all that it takes to silence their victims! Brutal criminals!!!

maries120
9/11/18

If you are looking for handmade, homemade or home grown, this is a great place to find them. Shopping here is very diverse as you can buy things like whole vanilla beans to sterling silver handmade jewelry. Many artisans and crafters use this site as a platform to sell their goods. Important to check the ratings and read reviews before you order from someone. Have never had any problems; you shouldn't either, as long as you know how to shop sites like this.

allam11
9/6/18

I really like their creams, Home Brew natural coffee hand and body cream is just awesome! No doubt I give five stars!

adams454
8/30/18

Do not trust positive reviews coming from Etsy scammers and thieves! Of course that they don't want you to know about their scamming tactics! Every person KNOWS what it wants to buy but scammers on Etsy DO NOT SELL what they claim to be selling! Etsy's "case system" is bot-operated and automated to side with scammers pretending to be "sellers" because Etsy needs them - NOT YOU! Scammers share their stolen funds with Etsy - not customers! BEWARE AND REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM!

johnr1095
8/25/18

Etsy, a site a previous review of mine defends.. is now on the chopping block for me. I just witnessed this week alone Etsy charging innocuous small amounts to a credit card of mine I used a year ago to make a purchase. One dollar fishing charges by the looks, labeled as Etsy Seller Fees I never linked this card to Etsy I only found them because the card has been paid off. I canceled the card. Whether Etsy is doing it or some hacker, fishing fees seem a great way to steal without being noticed. If a 1000 cards were hacked then thats 1000 ways to hide small charges that might go unnoticed rather than 1000 bucks stolen from one card... think about it.
ALSO.. in the Etsy forums, a place Etsy touts as a safe haven for both buyers and sellers.. an Etsy seller posted a contact number for Etsy support. Now Etsy support is notoriously spotty as it's mostly a self run site meaning ..youre on youre own! Its a nightmare to get anybody to email you back or call.. so this post was a helpful thing, and Etsy REMOVED it before I could read the 3rd page of replies. That kinda stinks Just what is Etsy hiding from? I have posted the screen shot I took before the post was removed. And what the heck is Etsy doing with our credit info?
If you find small charges you didn't authorize on your cards you used on Etsy call your card provider and close that card out. Your provider will send you a new card with a new number Etsy doesn't have.

lisab718
8/23/18

I find it impossible to believe that despite of all the warnings, people still visit and get scammed on Etsy! Unsure in which language should any of us speak to make people understand that Etsy is a dangerous scam website whose sole purpose is to steal your money and to sell your personal details to other scam sites. I have been scammed out of $2400 in late 2017 and I had no where to turn! Calling the police or reporting the case to the FBI (Internet Crime Complaint Center) did not sort anything! Anyone can set up a "shop" on Etsy, link it to their PayPal account and put fake item images from the internet pretending that they are selling them. WAKE UP AND DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO THOSE ONLINE PREDATORS!!!

johnf744
8/21/18

I see an item and like it, it's reasonably priced, I check to see how much shipping it is and usually ranges from $10 to $40!!!!!! FOR SHIPPING!!!! That's insane. Either the vendors need to lower the original price for the item or there needs to be a base price for all shipping!!!

tinalouisel
8/14/18

Transaction fees, payment processing fees and listing fees... plus I received notification that transaction fees are being increased again to 5% making total seller fees 8.5% (plus listing fees) of your total price. And that's just the minimum. Etsy now has a tiered service plan for sellers who can buy up to receive additional services.

I'm a small business owner with high overhead and it's just not worth paying their cut, when I can use my website (3% payment processing built in) and social media avenues (which are free).

I closed my Etsy shop as soon as they notified me that they were raising their rates again. Not worth it as a seller in my opinion.

I'd have given a 1-star review save for my fantastic experience as a buyer. So... 2 stars!

lewisb61
8/12/18

What I ordered was useless, did not work and had parts missing. Seller did not respond to my many attempts to reach him, so considering the cost and hassle of returning the item I tossed it in the recycle and said goodbye to my $69.95. Stay away from ETSY.

ginan17
8/10/18

Purchased dress only to have the incorrect dress shipped to me. Then the seller, sanyagold, sent my information to the other, vivian alexander. Vivian works for the federal government, proceeded to utilize the federal database to locate my contact information. Vivian then contacted my office and proceeded to harass my staff for the better part of a week concerning the exchange of this dress. When etsy was called concerning the mixup and release of my personal information, they refused to assist and allowed the vendor to remain on the site without concern. I was left to go to paypal for return of my monies. I would be careful with this site as they may be sharing more than names and addresses with people.

nellya10
8/7/18

Sellers are more protected than buyers and the buyers are not genuine for example they wont let u cancel orders that are not yet shipped they force u to take them even when u have decided to change ur mind. And then very expensive compared to other places for the same products.

rn46
8/6/18

I have been buying antiques and art for several years on etsy, and the sellers are getting more and more dishonest and belligerent. I always use paypal for an extra level of protection, but the dealer can still stick you with all the shipping charges if you return something, even if they lied in the description of the piece. The level of honestly and professionalism was much better three years ago.

lynneb64
8/2/18

Poor quality merchandise attempt at a return was futile. Customer service does not respond. Several attempts to contact them went unacknowledged.

shivaj2
8/2/18

I purchased a clock and They sent me a rubbish clock, I paid $10 for shipping and $75 for clock and $10 again for return and they received the clock 2 weeks ago But they don't answer my massages and they didn't give me back my money.

danielleo19
7/25/18

They don't vet their sellers at all and will advertise anyone. Beware of the endless scammers and useless customer service reps- SHOUTOUT TO TYLIE! If you want to be disappointed and ripped off then etsy is the place for you! So excited to sit around for the next 3 hours and wait for this alleged supervisor call back. I have been a seller and patron on this site for YEARS and never again will I give them 1 cent.

judys254
7/22/18

Poor. Item ordered was not as expected. Contacted seller same day item was delivered, requesting return address. Seller cannot find order and asked what was purchased. This information was supplied, still no response from seller. Follow email sent to seller. Again seller asked what was ordered and info was recent. Again, no response from seller. This was my first purchase from Esty and will be my last.

wf23
7/19/18

I have had great luck finding fun items that I can afford. Sellers have always been super friendly too.

selmac4
7/19/18

Terrible customer service no response to any emails. Theres no published phone number to contact customer service All nine bachelorette girls have been tracking their shirts to no avail. Contacting seller to no avail. Etsy still has not responded. None of ours have arrived in time, most didnt arrive at all. Site says 1 to 2 business days its been 2 to 3 weeks Buyer beware! Id never use Etsy or Quteez, seller, again!!!

tawniat
7/17/18

As a seller , for quite a few years now I really don't know why I haven't left earlier. I have spent so much time and effort on my shop and products, and given Etsy way to much money... I found that some of MY INVENTIONS would be copied , so I just took them off all together.
There's to many and to much CRAP shall I say , on there... LOts of OVERSEAS shall we say sellers., and It seems if you don't pay for Extra advertising , well.... YOu get lost in the shuffle.
I felt like I was being nickel and Dimed just more and more... They were making more off of me than I was making myself.. I did the WEB page new thing they have.... The constant renewal fees,,,everytime I made a sell fees...uploaded item fees....and now with all the new stuff they have coming at us...For THEM to make money...
My Items are getting further and further back in the Pile.
I am leaving you Etsy, you done me wrong... Making my own website with another host where I have more control over the Design of my pages....and can put as many things on it and whatever I want it, without being shut down and not be charged extra....
I am actually saving money!!!
I will continue to buy my Items from the sellers, my suppliers I have grown to love,,, they have been good to me... But I think being on MY Own is so much more freeing than that NIckel and Dime Shop they have going on.... Good Luck everyone.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?