Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

kathleenh173
6/10/18

Etsy asserts that when you order an item and fail to receive it due to loss in transit, you bear the risk of loss, not the seller, even though you have no control over the shipping method or whether insurance is purchased. This policy means you pay but get nothing if the item is lost. This policy violates Uniform Commercial Code § 2-509(3) and is therefore contrary to law in every state. Other seller sites (like Amazon Seller) recognize that risk of loss remains with seller until actual receipt. Etsys policy cheats you out of your money so it can profit.

jamald8
6/9/18

Bought a tee for my daughter, the materiel is just crap, more like stiff paper than cotton fabric. Packaging looks like it was done by a 4 year old, and to top it all off, they don't accept returns. If you don't like what you paid for, too bad. Paying $26 for a girls tee, I thought I would have a decent fabric, but not from them. What honest business does not stand by their merchandise??

sharonh315
6/7/18

I purchased from a seller on 5/9/18...Despite numerous email from the seller that she would ship, then did ship...I still have not received my merchandise..Involving the company does NO good..they do not respond or reply to your email and there is no phone number to speak to a human being..Very Disappointed...I have been scammed with no recourse.

karenk310
6/6/18

When you get into a dispute, Etsy favors the customers whether a customer caused a damage on the product or even used it regardless of final sale terms. As a seller, I have lost over $600, and have to pay for the return shipping fee for the product that the customer used the order for a wedding, and the product is not sellable as the customer damaged the merchant. My even one star is not worth!!! I am done with Etsy.

valeriw3
6/5/18

#Eileen Mikolayunas
#SenecaPondCrafts
This Etsy Shop owner is an unfair seller. She misrepresented her product, then refused to do anything about my complaint. I will never purchase from her shop again, and I caution others. She is not at all concerned about customer relations. All she cares about is selling the next thing she puts on her site. Very RUDE person too.

maryh623
5/22/18

I ordered an item on Etsy on 5/13/18. As of today (5/22/18), the item has not been shipped and the shop owner will not return my inquiries. Be aware of who you are buying from on Etsy. Some vendors are reputable and some are scamming (you know whats). As for Etsy itself, they have no contact phone number to reach them to discuss these issues. I'd just stay away from that site and buy direct from the vendors that are trusted.

Tip for consumers: Look in the reviews to see if other customers had a positive or negative experience.

tracyw53
5/13/18

Etsy will not support a buyer in a dispute case because that will mean money out of their pocket. You are at the mercy of the seller to be honest which is a crap shoot!

louil
5/11/18

loved the gift i bought from qualitypersonalized, it really depends on a store to what type of experience you'll have

janar6
5/7/18

I've ordered from a couple different shops and love them all. I've only had one issue with one shop but Etsy's customer service team was able to help me get a fair resolution.

I just want to remind other potential customers that Etsy itself is not selling the items you see, individual shop owners are so if you have a problem with a shop you should contact Etsy for help and if for some reason Etsy can't help you then you should contact your bank or credit card company.

Overall, Etsy has been pretty great and the variety of shops available is amazing. There are some seriously talented artists on Etsy and they shouldn't be lopped in with the few bad apples that give Etsy a bad name.

jennr31
5/7/18

I purchased a Wordpress theme from 17thavenuedesigns and when I downloaded it it was the wrong theme. I contacted her thinking it would be an easy fix but she told me I was out of luck and in order to get the theme I wanted I would have to pay again! I emailed her back and it's been a week now with no response. Beware of 17thavenuedesigns on etsy! scammer!

williamd289
5/1/18

Standard shipping is 3-5 business days, its been 7 days. Who runs this company? I see yall follow 29 people with no followers. Im starting to see why no one follows you back. You $#*! up innocent people who spend their hard earned money on your website. Ridiculous.

shellis4
4/29/18

My fiance recently ordered a ring set that I had picked out from an Etsy shop called ""Zhedora." Over 2,900 (5) star reviews was the main reason I chose this particular Etsy shop. All their jewelry is claimed to be hand-made, which can take 3-4 weeks. On the day he was told the ring would ship out, he received an email stating my ring would not be ready for another 2-3 weeks because they were flying to Canada due to a death in the family. I understand things happen, but this was the day the ring was supposed to ship out, so why wasn't it ready yet? They offered a 10% discount for the ring, but would only apply the refund after the ring arrived. My fiance obliged rather than to cancel at that time. After over two months of waiting for my ring, I was so excited to finally put it on my finger. From a distance, it was beautiful, but on closer inspection there were very obvious flaws. The center stone was set crooked and a bit cloudy, and the ring was not stamped 18K, as they stated it would be. Within a day of wearing it, the center stone was so cloudy that I was embarrassed to show it off. Afraid of hurting my fiance's feelings, I didn't mention it, but was relieved when he noticed it. He then contacted the owner, who responded with, "did she get it wet?" Their page states, "All of our stones are incredibly tough and durable." Not to mention the fact that the care instructions say to wash them in warm soapy water. He argued back and forth at which point the owner wanted to call and explain their different stones and (at our cost) offer an upgraded stone for another $400.00. He then requested a refund,, which to our relief, they did not fight him on. I will give them credit for allowing us to return the ring, but I would NOT recommend buying jewelry from Zhedora.

taunac
4/25/18

What a waste of time. Will not be back for any reason! Shop owner lied about shipping twice! Took them 10 days to investigate the no show item, another 10 before I got my refund. Just don't do business with these people!

job262
4/24/18

So disappointed, thought I found another place to shop but EBAY and Amazon have no competition here. Cheap junk seller and ETSY does not honor their promise to refund if not "as described". Won't be back.

lamiae1
4/21/18

As a seller on Etsy, I really worked hard, and did my best to make my business successful on Etsy, I always got 5 stars from my customers. Now they closed my shop presuming that I sell commercial items. The items I sell are not commercial at all, they may look like other commercial items but quality are much different. Etsy use some tricks to close successful shops. I feel sorry for the way Etsy deal with their sellers.

katrinah45
4/18/18

I ordered the item a month ago still havent received it and I cant get no one to respond back to me about this I have sent several emails no response dont waste your time and money they suck

jennal49
4/17/18

I placed my order for Barney invites April 10th. About for days later I contacted the maker via email and asked when my order would be ready. At that time she said " will be sending via email shortly". Well shorty to me is like a few hours but here I am going on day 7 with no invites and two emails unanswered? The money has already been taken out of my bank account so I'm confused as to what's taking so long considering it's a digital file? I'm not a very happy camper as I still have to print out invites and send!

catherinew75
4/11/18

I have to say that I have no any issues so far purchasing on Etsy. I bought this product https://www.etsy.com/listing/89328163/secret-message-locket-pendant-brass-long?ref=finds_l for my mom last Monday. It is exactly as it looks on their product image on their site and I really love the quality and design. Will surely come back!

breeg5
4/5/18

I'm thankful for Etsy...I've been a shop owner for 4 years. It is very expensive to keep your shop. I've had a good experiences in the beginning selling and buying. With buying from shops with a couple items no reviews don't do it they might shut down. My shop open 4 years... has the best customer service and lately I feel like the customers are scammers. What's up with that? Customers should realize that we are solo most the time and do almost everything from start from finish and have reasonable completive prices beating out the big guys.
You have to be a good sells person to bring in customers at Etsy because almost everything is a custom order.
I'm defiantly looking to away from Etsy to make more money as its not cutting it lately. My advise is start here and work on another website platform so you don't get stuck like I have been. I'm looking into shopify and bigcartel but then again they don't help you with the marketing part like etsy. I'm just grateful for the orders we do get, and hopefully one day can just have the etsy site as a side gig.
Thanks for reading! :)

marions35
3/26/18

I have bought just beautiful items from a store on Etsy and wanted to share with you, have a look, the items arrived as promised and were extremely well presented, simply love these pieces

danc223
3/23/18

The most poorly handled transaction I have ever seen and make sure you all read the fine print very clearly because their return policy if you try to even see if the item works is there is no return policy. As I found out recently!! So now I have a $50 piece that will not adhere to the wall (when other pieces do) and neither Etsy nor single stone studios will stand behind their product. I would encourage you all to look elsewhere because these are very cheaply made and the owner is everybit as cheap.

mikeh398
3/23/18

bought boots from a merchant in brisbane australia (victoria is her name and is just as stupid as etsy customer service people) boots were not described properlyand could not wear them. return was ok, except they want me to pay for shipping, which would have cost me 70 dollars to return 114 dollar boots.6 weeks I dealt with the merchant and etsy . they never once said anything about my complaints about the return costs.this victoria just kept raving on about how no one has ever had a problem with her merchandise. etsy also ignored all my questions, always dancing around the only issue I had with them.In the end, etsy resolve team did absolutely nothing but waste 6 weeks of my time. I will never look at this site again. And beware of merchants from outside the USA. Nina H

lisan158
3/23/18

Be c̲a̲u̲t̲i̲o̲u̲s̲l̲y̲ ̲a̲d̲v̲i̲s̲e̲d̲ that Etsy is a den of forgers and thieves! The most wanted cyber criminals lurk in there, awaiting to rip off their next victim that could be you! Do not get fooled by Etsy's fake product pictures and fake positive reviews! Just like any other scam website, this one is also carefully designed to attract and deceive people! I fell a victim but you don't have to! Please share this review with your family and friends before it gets too late!

Tip for consumers: ETSY IS SYNONYMOUS TO SCAM! BEWARE AND INFORM OTHERS!

nojinp
3/19/18

Amazon had small # of options in artificial diamond. Then I found it on Etsy, made by EternalJewelryLV(in Nevada). I got relieved when I found the email telling 3-day delayed shipping. Finally, a post officer delivered it on the day told & I gladly signed on the device. Since my artificial ring got to me as what I ordered, again I thank.

Tip for consumers: This website offers ring size table. If you don't know the exact size of your ring though, first order $5 ring by guess for test...

richardc284
3/19/18

OK I have an Etsy store I make Pillows ,Its a Pillow store (..with me so far )
I make a maternity pillow its U shape that's all no reference to any other pillow ,like a name or Print, or what ever ..I get an email from etsy saying they removed my listing because of a copyright infringement WHAT !!!!!
ITS A PILLOW you can't copy write a pillow .unless lets say you had a pillow that look like a Disney product and so on ..This is a U shape Pillow ..there are thousands of U shape pillows ....So if you are going to put a store on etsy be careful don't spend a lot of money on it .. so don't make Lamps because someone will say they have a copyright on lamps ( I'm Being Funny ) I like to share this stuff I have several sites and it always amazes me the genius of the upstairs office and the rules they make and if you have an eBay store you will know what I mean ..thanks Richie C https://www.etsy.com/shop/pillowpillowandstuff

914 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?