Review of Grove

San Francisco, California 94123, United States

28 reviews with 1 star

melissar407
1/17/20
When I first signed up, I was suppose to get a free cleaning caddy, which was never received. Going forward, when I would select a free gift with my purchase for over $99, or $79, I would never receive it. So I sent an email and was told that they apologize and said they tend to ship those items within shipments to avoid unnecessary shipping. Made no sense to me. However, they never made good on any of those free gifts with purchase, nor did I ever receive the cleaning caddy from when I first set up an account with them. When I emailed them again about this, I was then told that free gifts with purchases are only available if I selected the ship now option instead of waiting for my orders normal ship date and Also that recurring orders are not eligible for free gifts. So where's my incentive to continue ordering them, as opposed to going to the store? To me, that's wrong. I have spent a lot of money with this company, and to dangle free gifts in your face only to find out that you have to ship your order immediately to get it instead of waiting for my normal ship date is ridiculous.they encourage to Spend, spend, spend, but then have strings attached to their backwards "incentives", if you can even call them that.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for your review, Melissa.

We are saddened to read about your experience with Grove. It is not what we would want for our most valued members and we apologize for that.

As it is stated above your cart, bonus items are available for orders that have reached the pre-tax minimum and by clicking "Ship Now". We sincerely apologize for the confusion!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It does look like this has been resolved, and we hope that you continue to reach out to us if you need any further assistance at support@grove.co.

mariad401
1/5/20
It started out well until I decided to adjust my order and delay it. 1) It says to empty your cart and that changes order 2) I wasn't aware there was a19.99 membership.3) you can't delay it like you want in other sites. They only allow you to delay by a week or two. 4) even if you attempt to cancel they still charge your credit card and even if you cancel they still charge your card. Oh when I rebuttal they said they wished they could help me and credit me but the order already went out went to website checked order and there was none. No tracking number was given . I'm about to call my bank and request a credit . Don't waste your money your better off at a store locally .
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for the review, Maria.

We are so sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with your account. We do not want our service to be a frustrating process and we apologize for the hassle this has caused.

Grove offers two separate programs: a VIP Membership and recurring shipments that can be used exclusively or combined to get the most out of Grove. When you placed your first order, you were automatically enrolled in a 60 Day VIP Membership Trial as well as monthly recurring shipments. We apologize if this wasn't clear to you.

We want to clarify that the $19.99 fee was for your VIP Membership renewal. Three days before your free VIP trial was up you should have received an email stating you could cancel.

You are always able to customize your cart and product subscriptions to best fit your needs.

It sounds like you're receiving a shipment you weren't expecting. Please reach out to us at reviewsupport@grove.co and we would be happy to dig into this and get this taken care of for you.

blythel1
1/3/20
They are Dishonest in setting up an automatic monthly reorder. Changing the order is beyond difficult and timely. This company is supposed to be trying to create less garbage and instead automatically signs you up to get a monthly recurring shipment. They also add items to your order that you did not authorize. As the website is not that user friends, I emailed in between and got absolutely no response to my problem. I fumbled through myself. But, apparently it takes weeks to update so that the next order is still the same junk. So currently I have 3 bottles of toilet cleaner, glass cleaner, wipes which I do not even use because they are not good for he environment. These will last me about 5 years or so. This is not saving the planet it is ripping off the consumer. Cancelled my account. I just do not do business with schemers.I wish I would have read the BBB reviews before using this company. They say it all. Do not sign up for anything with them.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Blythe. We want our customers to have all the necessary information about our services from the beginning and we are terribly sorry this was unclear. It’s thoughtful community members like yourself that help us continue to improve.

All new Grove accounts are automatically set up to receive a recurring shipment each month, but there is no requirement to order every month. You will receive an email to alert you of your upcoming order 7 days before your next shipment and then again 1 day before each order is scheduled to process. This gives you time to review each order before it is shipped out to you.

if there are items that you are looking to return, please email us at support@grove.co or give us a call Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375). If you don't mind giving us a call then, we're happy to help.

carlak60
1/1/20
Promised free $30 Mrs. Meyers kit with first order. Kit was in my basket when I checked out but not in confirmation email received after completing checkout. Contacted Customer Service; they responded with $20 credit on my next order. Not interested in any future orders, so I requested that they send me the kit. No response. DM'd via FB requesting order and subscription cancellation; no response after 4 hours. Instituted dispute with PayPal.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We are so sorry about the trouble, Carla.

We are so saddened to hear about the difficulty you had. After looking into this we can see where the issue came from.

The offer you ended up claiming required that you opt in to our recurring shipments and a free VIP Membership Trial to receive your free gifts. It looks like only the recurring shipments were opted into, which explains why those items weren't included. We can confirm that the credit is still on your account and that as you requested, your account has been changed so you can now shop without recurring shipments.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reach out to us at support@grove.co.

seleciaa
12/19/19
I ordered their service for my daughter as a gift and luckily I had it mailed to me. When I received it, the box was empty, just packaging paper and a welcome card. Not sure what type of game they are running, but I will not ever order or recommend them. Thought that it would be okay because I see the brands in store.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for your feedback, Selecia.

We are saddened to hear that your Grove order arrived as an empty box! That is unusual and not up to our Grove standards. We greatly apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this must've caused.

Please reach out to us at reviewsupport@grove.co and we would be happy to help sort this out and get you the items you ordered.

kamileo1
11/27/19
When I made my first purchase with grove I absolutely loved. However, after a month I received items items that I never bought and I was charged for that. I sent them and email and they gave me the money back. However, in the subsequent month I was charged AGAIN ($64) for items that I never bought.
Do not trust Grove. They take your credit card number and charge you for things you never bought.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Grove, Kamile. We are sorry that your journey with Grove Collaborative has been anything other than positive and that you received another unwanted shipment.

This is not the experience that we want our customers to have. Grove Collaborative provides home and personal care products for eco-conscious homes on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default, but there is no requirement to order monthly and every order is completely customizable. We want to be sure that we have taken care of this unwanted shipment for you and make updates to your account to prevent additional unwanted shipments from occurring. We created Grove with maximum flexibility in mind because we want Grove to work for you. Please be sure to reach out to us at support@grove.co so that we can assist.

ronp218
11/24/19
I did a one time purchase and they keep charging me $19.99 for a monthly fee. Do not purchase from Grove. When they get your credit card number they keep charging it. Please dispute the charges with your credit card company. When they get a large number of disputes they are no longer able to use credit cards.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We appreciate your feedback, Ron.

Grove provides home and personal care products for eco-conscious homes on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default, but there is no requirement to order every month. We apologize if this was unclear when you first signed up with us.

Additionally, when you first ordered, you enrolled in a Free 60 Day VIP Trial after which it renews for $19.99 for a year of VIP. This program includes free shipping, four full-sized gifts, early access to special promotions, and a lower order minimum. You'll receive an email from us a few days before your VIP renews so you can cancel if you would like.

You can still shop with us without recurring shipments or having a VIP membership.

Again, we are so sorry if our two programs were unclear when you first ordered. Please reach out to us at support@grove.co and we would be happy to help you get your account set up as you wish.

dough221
11/15/19
CAUTION. Very deceptive business practices. Difficult to cancel. Difficult to get returns/refunds. HAVE you ever NOT been cheated by a firm that uses (relies on) deceptive business practices. MY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE with Grove: I entered my cc and it put me back to the order screen but changed what was in the cart. I looked at order history and saw it was blank. I went back to the cart and placed the order. Now my order history shows 2 orders and WORSE - I had to find in subscriptions (a completely separate page) that now I had a VIP membership to be charged on my credit card. I immediately contacted support via Chat (about the only way to talk to someone). They would NOT cancel the orders. NOPE - no chance of that depsite the orders being placed less than 5 minutes previously. They did email me one shipping label. When the boxes came I realized that I needed another shipping label so I went back to their CHAT box for support. I was sent another label - to a different location. I sent a chat back that the return addresses were different. Alas... I have to do other things - like work - instead of chat back and forth with a firm that has neverending excuses, incompetence and BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We are so sorry for this negative experience, Doug.

We understand that taking the time out of your day to connect with your Grove Guide to remedy this is not ideal. Additionally, we regret that we have inconvenienced you further by requesting that you return the packages to us to one of our warehouse locations. We apologize that you received unwanted orders from Grove Collaborative and that your first experience with us was anything other than pleasant.

If there is anything else we can do for you, we would love to offer you a solution. Please reach out to us at via phone call Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375), or by live chat or email us at support@grove.co and we will gladly assist.

annaa185
11/14/19
I made a one-time order. Then I was subscribed for a bunch of products and got a membership trial which you need to pay at some point. They did all this without asking me. I just received an e-mail about my next shipment being prepared. I was able
To unsibscribe and cancel membership. We'll see if that worked
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Grove, Anna.

We apologize that the conditions of your Grove account weren't made clear when you elected to place your first order. We can understand how frustrating this must be. We would love the opportunity to further assist if you have any questions or would like verification that your requested changes were applied to your account.

Please reach out to us at support@grove.co, through live chat or via phone Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375).

karrens5
11/10/19
I tried Grove Collaborative because I wanted to try some more eco friendly options. They automatically sign you up for subscriptions and autospiments that will go out monthly.

I have tried to edit the shipments before they are sent, but it never works. They ship what they want even after I edit my orders.

Then they signed my up for a VIP membership free trial that I could not cancel. After the free trial the membership costs $19.99 a year. The site claims it can be canceled at any time. But if I navigate to a web page that even hints at cancelling the membership or auto shipments I get redirected to their login page.

The webpages about how to cancel autoshipments, modify your account, or cancel subscriptions ate bogus. The only menu option you are provided to manage your account is "Log Out".

Stay way from this company. I haven't seen a product on their site that can't be purchased somewhere else.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for this helpful feedback, Karren.

We apologize that you had some unwanted orders process and can understand how frustrating this must be. We would love to assist you in returning any unwanted items.

You can have a Grove account without monthly recurring orders or a VIP Membership, which will allow you the maximum flexibility to shop only when you wish to order products. There is no charge to have a Grove account and we would love to help you to adjust your product subscriptions and account to suit the needs of you and your household.

ginas175
11/5/19
I really loved their whole idea! I placed a order along with my introductory free gift. My order showed up, the intro free gift did not. When I talked with CS they said there was a glitch in the system, the intro gift did not ship. If I wanted the intro gift I would have to place a new order. They offered to give me a $30 credit towards a new order and intro gift. Their issue & they wouldn't honor their mistake. Buyer beware, I think they suck you in with the free intro gift and won't hold up to this. Definitely, much better companies out there! Stay away!! :(
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for sharing your experience, Gina.

We apologize that your first order was missing an item. This certainly is not the experience we wish for our customers to have and are sad to hear that this was your first impression of Grove Collaborative. We follow rigorous B Corp guidelines to lessen the impact on the earth by shipping small boxes with fewer items, whenever possible. We are always happy to accommodate and are sorry to hear that this wasn't offered to you when you replied with dissatisfaction.

Please reach out to us at support@grove.co so that we can have the opportunity to get your missing item out to you. We can also be reached via live chat and by phone Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375). Thank you for calling this to our attention. We would love to make this right.

jilln11
10/26/19
They will keep billing you with no options to cancel. Even when you remove every item from your basket and e-mail and attempt to contact, they will keep billing... I had to block them on paypal to make it stop.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We are sorry that this is the experience you had, Jill.

New accounts are automatically established as an ongoing monthly order. We have designed this service to add convenience in gathering the items you need for personal care and also for your household. We apologize if this wasn't convenient for you and if this service wasn't made clear at the onset of your account. We certainly don't want for you to be receiving anything you don't want or need.

Please reach out to us at support@grove.co, so that we can adjust your account settings to suit your needs and assist in making any returns you would like We can also be reached at Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375) or via live chat. We are always happy to help, and again are sorry that your experience with Grove was anything other than pleasant.

concernedc44
10/21/19
They send me numerous emails offering free product and then decide I don't qualify. Why send me the offers then? FALSE Advertisement....stop SPAMMING ME then!
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for providing your feedback.

We apologize for this frustrating experience. There is a required $20 paid minimum on all first orders to redeem your free welcome bundle. We are so that this wasn't made clear. We will be sure to pass your experience along to our Marketing team for consideration.
If you need assistance opting out of our email list, please be sure to reach out to us at support@grove.co.

lindak475
9/16/19
Do not give them your information. You cannot cancel the subscription. I sent 5 emails, spoke to a rep, took all items out of my cart, cancelled all subscriptions and they continue to take money out of my paypal account. I cant change my payment method on the website. I'm sorry, but I dont want to deal with a dishonest company. I'd rather pay more and do business with an ethical company. I can get this stuff online at whole foods for cheaper. It has taken hours of my time to fight them screwing me and I am too busy to have to constantly wathc an unethical entity try to steal my hard earned money.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for the feedback, Linda.

Grove Collaborative provides home and personal care products for eco-conscious homes on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default. Grove offers two separate programs: a VIP Membership and recurring shipments that can be used exclusively or combined to get the most out of Grove. We understand that every household has unique needs, which is why there is no requirement to order every month, and everything about your Grove account is customizable. You can always change the date of your next shipment, and edit the products in your cart and subscriptions.

We are so sorry to hear that you've had difficulties updating your account. Please reach out to us at support@grove.co if you are still in need of assistance updating your account and we would be happy to help assist and make this right.

sheak3
7/31/19
Do not EVER order from this company... I ALWAYS order and make sure you do a ONE time and they are sending stuff every month and taking money out of my account and there's no phone number to contact them NOR and email address!
You would think that the list that comes in all these boxes would have a contact number but they are thieves and don't know want you to contact them!!
So disappointed!!
I only ordered because of the "Jenkins" lady and her humor was thinking because she was advertising for them it was legit... WRONG!!!
CROOKS!!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS SCAM!!
You will receive a package every month or maybe more often than that!!!
And it’s just whatever they want to sent and they don’t care that you might not be able to afford this SCAM!!!

Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We appreciate you taking the time to leave this thoughtful review, Shea.

We completely understand your frustration and are saddened to see that you haven't enjoyed your time with us. Grove Collaborative provides home and personal care products for eco-conscious homes on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default, but we understand that every household has unique needs and apologize if this was not a service you were expecting.

If you have any concerns, or additional feedback you would like to pass on, please reach out to us at support@grove.co. You can also reach us by phone as well. We are available by phone Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375). If you don't mind giving us a call then, we'd love to help. We're also available via email or live chat to help with anything you may need!

anne65
7/30/19
Grove Collaborative's advertising practices are dishonest, unethical, and misleading. Not only is the quality of their branded stock very low, you are led into believing you are making a one-time purchase when you are not only being subscribed to monthly purchases, but also opted-in to their "free for 60 days" VIP membership program. I made a single purchase on June 26, 2019 in the amount of $24.29. I received an order shipment notification on July 30 for a charge of $70.20, for a shipment containing products I do not want or need.

In addition, the "cancel VIP trial" option is hidden behind several searches and links, not accessible from the account management pages. This is dishonest UX (user experience) design at its worst.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
We apologize for this frustration, Ann, and appreciate that you took the time to offer this feedback.

We are so sorry that your experience with Grove has been anything other than pleasant and that you experienced unwanted charges. Grove Collaborative provides home and personal care products for eco-conscious homes on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default and we apologize if this wasn't a service you were expecting. We understand your frustration and always appreciate our customer's feedback on how to improve and have passed this along to our team.

Please reach out to us at support@grove.co if you need any additional help in adjusting your account settings to suit your needs.

lindak446
7/1/19
I made multiple attempts to reach about site issues and received NO response. I have given up with this seller.
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for this thoughtful response, Linda.

We are so sorry to hear about the troubles you were having with the site. That is certainly not the experience we wanted for you to have. It looks like you were having some issues using our app for the site, as there have been a few updates since then, those errors should be fixed. We are so saddened to see that we didn't give you the help you needed and that it impacted your time with us.

The site also works well when using a computer, or if you ever decide to return to shop with us, it can be helpful to chat with one of our Grove Guides, they are great at troubleshooting issues that may arise.

christies55
7/1/19
Auto order happens monthly and random things get added to my cart each time. I have to go in and clear my cart then shop from scratch. June's order sent and I got $100 worth of stuff I do not need. I reached out to my "sponser" the day it sent to try to adjust it and never got a response back. I'm HIGHLY dissatisfied!
Response from Grove C., Grove Representative
Thank you for the feedback, Christie.

We are so sorry to hear that you received a recurring shipment that you weren't expecting. Grove Collaborative provides home and personal care products on a monthly recurring shipment schedule by default, but we understand that every household has unique needs. This is why there is no requirement to order every month, and everything about your Grove account is customizable. You can always change the date of your next shipment, and edit the products in your cart and subscriptions. You are also able to set up your account so you can order with us on an as-needed basis, without recurring shipments.

Additionally, we apologize that you never received a response to your inquiry. Please reach out to us at support@grove.co and we would be happy to help ensure this gets taken care of for you.

Have a great day,
daves582
3/24/19
Charging above what I agreed. Wanted to try the product by decided to avoid since I was being lied to.
elizabethh403
3/21/19
I was actually excited to try this as I've been moving towards adding more sustainable products to what I buy. I received a coupon from Hello Fresh and decided to give it a shot. I love delivery services and subscriptions because I live in the middle of nowhere and it saves me time and driving even if it's a tad more expensive. But when I finalized my cart and chose pay through PayPal, the notification pops up that I paid $30 more than what I signed up for! When I went back to website and went to order history the order was completely different. Free items were not the same, and a bunch of items were added. I'm glad I chose PayPal because after reading other reviews it sounds like I'll have more luck canceling the subscription with them than the company.
maryp496
3/10/19
First time on website (and last) and I had added two items to my cart (one "free") for a total of $36.95. After I checked out with PayPal, I find the the order went through without being able to review and I was charged double the amount. I logged back into the site to find that multiple items were added to my order without my knowledge or consent. I sent email requesting to cancel the order and also filed a dispute with PayPal. What a scam!! I highly advise anyone and everyone to avoid them!! What a complete waste of time! I really hope that they issue the credit within a day or two. I have a bad temper when it comes to becoming a victim of deceitful business tactics and won't tolerate it from anyone.

Tip for consumers: Don't.

kath30
3/3/19
I have contacted Grove three times in the past three months via email to cancel. They have not honored this requestand have continued to ship things I neither want nor ordered and bill them to my credit card. I shop almost exclusively on line and I have never seen anything like this.
laurenj81
2/21/19
I placed a 23$ order to qualify for the Ms Meyers gift set (spend 20$ and get free gifts). After I went through checkout with the 23$ subtotal, I checked my email to find that the items my cart had been completely changed, and I was charged 50.86. Even after totaling up all the (UNWANTED) items in the order, I was overcharged by 4.13.

My attempts to contact Grove yielded no results and I received the box of random items 2 days later. I was missing parts of my "free gifts" as well.

All in all: DO NOT shop with Grove Collaborative. Going to the grocery store would have been much less of a hassle.
kellyk244
2/6/19
I liked the service at first, but if you aren't careful to go back and uncheck items from a list of past orders they automatically want to send you again, you end up paying for a box of stuff you didn't want. When I communicated with customer service that I wanted to cancel my membership and unsubscribe, they said it was taken care of. Today a grove box showed up full of products I don't want and didn't order. I contact customer service, they acted a though it was my mistake (I still have the communications proving otherwise) and then after condescending to me, concludes with, 'just turn everything, no worries. ' grrr. Now I'm hauling their stuff back to the post office, adding another errand. No apology, nada. Never again.
sarahd311
12/21/18
Can't tell you how frustrating it is to have your credit card keep getting charged. I have over 10 emails with company and still getting charged. I have to go through PayPal to file a claim now. Super shady . Company lies . Still hasn't refunded me over $80.

Grove Collaborative is a legit company. We are a certified B Corporation and can be located in their online directory.

By Grove C., Grove Representative

Grove can be reached by phone Monday-Friday from 6:00AM-5:00PM PST at 1-844-GROVE75 (1-844-476-8375). We also accept texts and emails 24/7, at 650-667-7418 and community@grove.co.

By Grove C., Grove Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Grove staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Grove