Review of Green Dot

Green Dot reviews

Tel: 1-866-795-7597

marias129
1/27/19

I used my GreenDot card to purchase a pair of leggings off of Instagram. That was two months ago and I haven't received them yet! So I researched the company. Turns out their website has disappeared, no customer service number and no responses to my numerous email inquiries!! I filed a dispute FB or the charge through GreenDot support. All they keep saying is to contact th ed merchant!!! That is impossible! The company I give my money to can't protect my purchases? I have no recourse after obviously being a victim of a scam!! Highly disappointed and Greendot is a shameful company to conduct business this way by NOT protecting it's customers!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Just beware of making purchases using Greendot and understand you can't rely on Greendot for a refund if you don't get what you paid for!! I have included a picture of this merchant's mysterious missing website....buyer beware!!!

tristanp7
12/5/18

Although this company states that they release deposits to your account early from the actual scheduled date, I never have. Didn't matter from what company that was issuing the payment. Not to mention, the same employer that I have received my checks from that I sometimes have deposited to this account I have not received anything this time around. I have checked and double checked with my employer regarding my payment and everything is normal and correctly set. Green dot does not want any confirmation showing that my money has been reported to them nor do they have a system to view any pending deposits. At this point, I feel robbed with my funds floating in thin air and all Green dot can say is that when they receive notification they will release my funds. I asked to speak with manager, I got a supervisor. I asked for a corporate number, they would not release any information and told me that I will receive a call back from someone within the next two buisness days. LIKE ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NEVER AGAIN

kimb486
10/14/18

This has been a complete nightmare. I had a transaction deducted from my account on 9/20/18. I filed a disputed as instructed and the represented told me it would take 10 business day to resolve the dispute. I called on the 11th business day and received another date of 45 days to resolve the issue. At that point I closed the account today I found out the company sent the money back I went to log into the prepaid account and there it was just sitting there since the 8th October. I call the customer service line and they stated the only way to receive my money is for them to send it by mail in a check form which will take another 10 days. At that point will be well over a month from the time I filed the dispute. Please please do yourself a favor a run AWAY from this company. They are not here to help or protect the costumer as a regular bank typically has dispute resolved in half the time frame then what walmartmoneycard lies to you about. There are many banks you can go through if you need a debit cardswith no credit, first time banking or bad credit . Wells Fargo Opportunity Checking is one of them. At this point I'm going the legal route in order for me to receive my money because I don't believe a word they say and all of there representatives are from overseas and it is hard to understand them and they really don't care about your issues. COMPLETE TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!!

alanh200
8/26/18

Greendot is reckless and indecent...Stop doing business with them...so no others will be hurt.... There are no zeros????h,,,

geralds131
6/29/18

greendot is the worst debit card service ever dont waste your time applying i called my card in lost so the agent who talked to me was in india he never closed my lost card off so i called back then i got somebody from the philipines everytime i spoke to someone i was told something differant then out of the blue they block my account for no reason please anyone donot use this company

neworleansd
6/15/18

I would have to agree with most other reviews here. While Green Dot is decidedly one of the worst in the financial sector, It's hard not to interact with this company at some point in life.According to Wikipedia, it's considered the "world's largest prepaid debit card company and operates the platforms for Apple Pay, Uber, & Intuit", and is in partnership with businesses like TurboTax & WalMart's GoBank. Green Dot also owns the RushCard.

Green Dot also operates under the name Bonneville Bank, but accounts or transactions cannot be transferred between the two. That's where I had the biggest issue.

Green Dot's customer service is very UNhelpful, and is very limited. If you have a problem you're practically on your own.Their reputation is bad across the web, on Yelp, Amazon, & CreditKarma. It's definitely about the worst you can do business with. Avoid the prepaid card if at all possible, it's loaded with extra fees, and you may even be stuck paying the monthly fee if you don't setup direct deposits of at least $1000 per month.

tonym255
3/28/18

Over a week ago, my wife used my Green Dot card. The cashier entered an astronomical amount of money and the company that made the mistake, quickly refunded the money. As of today, 5 days later, Green Dot has YET to return my money to my card. Try calling them? Good look with that because there is NO human to talk to and everything is automated! NEVER EVER utilize this service AMERICA. The customer service absolutely STINKS and they are crooks that will hold your money for no reason. I haven't been this angry in quite some time. I repeat DO NOT USE THIS BUSINESS EVER

morganc57
3/16/18

If I could, I would give GreenDot zero stars. This has to be the worst company when it comes to pre-load cards. And the worst customer service ever. I bought this card from Walmart with the intent to use it as a gift card. I loaded $270 cash at the register then went home to put it in the gift box. I looked closer and realized I needed to activate it/register it. I called the number and to my surprise, they asked for all of my personal information. Social, address, date of birth. That wasn't what I bought or what I was wanting, no where on that packaging did it say it would need that information to be used. I was livid, honestly. The packaging on that card said nothing about what it really was and what it really required to be able to use it. And on top of that, it charged me $7.95 the very next day. Not expecting that either but okay, it did say that on the back. I attempted to take it back to Walmart and they told me they wouldn't be able to refund my money and that I would need to call GreenDot. Later that day, I attempted to withdraw money from an ATM and it said my PIN was wrong. I knew for sure this wasn't the case since I used my birth year for my PIN. The only way to change your PIN is to go online, a rep can't assist you with that what so ever. Then I found out another little hidden surprise. Even once I got the PIN situation taken care of, I still couldn't withdraw my funds in cash, because you have to wait for the card with your name embossed to come in the mail which can take two weeks. Ridiculous! In total, I spent about 6 hours dealing with the on going nightmare this card caused. I visited the website, I called the number on the back of the card, no where could I get a live rep. How could you run a company that deals with people's money and not have a direct way to be reached? That is completely shady. I had to research other way to reach them, and finally found a number. After having to go through the prompts about three times, I finally got through to someone. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but the person on the other side had such a thick accent that I could barely understand what she was saying. So not only do they not have a legitimate customer service number, they have also outsourced to pay people less than minimum wage to deal with phone calls that directly affect the lives of the people who purchased and loaded these cards. That is completely unethical in my opinion. I would never ever recommend this card to anyone. If anyone is ever looking for a debit card, buy a Visa card that can be used anywhere. These cards are a completely joke. I was lucky enough that my local Walmart worked with me to get my refund. They also mentioned they are working on getting rid of Green Dot because of so many customer complaints. After reading everyone's reviews here, I think it may also be wise to close out the card completely. I would hate for them to take me negative with the scam monthly fees then ruin my credit because they also have my social security number. I think the next place I will be calling is the better business bureau.

kenziai
3/3/18

if you got kids have they had any food today? Sure that have my three havent eaten in two days Walmart money card got every dime I own! And do your kids have a warm home? Well mine sleeps in the car as of Monday morning cause I couldnt pay rent Walmart has my money! Do your kids take medicine daily to live? Will my 8 year old cant get his medicine I dont have the copy to get it! He will die without! 5/6 years I had this card and worst thing I couldve done is trust it to do direct deposit!! Yep Walmart money card when we die out here in this cold car I have all my proof that I just mail to the news station so everyone will know what happened to us! 6-5 yrs never put all my money on that card this year I did!!I sent my state ID and my birth certificate ss# I ask for help I even ask for food no help my kids are so cold in this car we had a place to live until I trusted Walmart money card with every dime I had

tonyd111
1/30/18

Nothing is worse than a bank holding your funds unnecessarily. I attempted to make a purchase on line. The company did not have the products in stock so I immediately cancelled the order. According to the company they immediately issued a release on the pending funds. They don't actually charge until the are ready to ship. After 24 hours I contacted Walmart Green-dot Bank because the funds which were never drawn against were not available for my use . I contacted customer service, I got a person from the Philippines who could only read to me, stating that my funds may not be released for several days. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor but none were available. I was promised that one would call me back but that has not happened either. I have been using Walmart Green Dot for five years, customer service really does not exist. It is difficult to almost impossible to discuss real issues with a live person and get real reasonable results. Tying up my funds for seven days for a pending hold that was released and a sales transaction that never took place is ridicules.

billishae
1/18/18

I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO EXPRESS MY FRUSTRATION WITH THIS COMPANY. I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME GET IN TOUCH WITH A LIVE PERSON FROM GREEN DOT. I WENT ON THEIR SO CALLED CHAT AND ALL THEY KEEP SAYING IS CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE BUT THE PROBLEM IS ITS JUST AN AUTOMATED PHONE SYSTEM AND NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE HELP ME OR TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT WHY I CANNOT ACCESS MY FUNDS ONLY THAT THEY CLOSED WITHOUT TELLING ME DUE " FRAUDULENT CHARGES". I HAVE CALLED THE SAME NUMBER ON THE BACK OF MY CARD FOR AT LEAST 30 TIMES AND THE ONLY THING THE CHAT CS COULD TELL ME WAS TO FIND SOMEONE WITH AN ACTIVE CARD SO THAT I COULD SPEAK WITH A LIVE PERSON! I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN BEGGING AND PLEADING FOR ANYBODY SOMEBODY FROM THEIR COMP. TO CALL ME BACK. I HAVE EVEN BEEN ON INSTAGRAM AND GUESS WHAT THEY SAID....TO CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE BUT NO ONE WILL ANSWER THE DAMN PHONES! PLEASE HELP.

nancyk79
1/15/18

I had this debit card for a while and liked it a lot. I had no issues at all with the customer services. I would recommend this card to anyone. I must say they do charge a monthly fee which is the con for this card. The only way to avoid this monthly fee is to deposit at least $500-$1000.00 on the card within a monthly time frame. And to keep that amount in the account. You see I deposited my tax return and that also helped with the monthly fees too. So before you sign-on, I say read the agreement well.

Tip for consumers: There's a monthly fee $4.95 could be higher now like $5.95.

troyb51
1/10/18

Don't ever use this card, EVER! These people are robbing bastards. My situation is similar to Juanita Cleveland's, I feel your pain Juanita. I was given a gift of $50. It took me an hour of my life to register to access my gift. I put the card in my truck for an emergency. One day I forgot my wallet and was low on gas, I thought great use for my emergency card. I tried to use it but was told I had a zero balance. I reviewed the activity to find that the crooks at Green dot were stealing $6 a month. What they do is probably legal, but is surely immoral. I encourage anyone who reads this to commit the Green dot name to memory and if you see anyone grabbing one of these cards at check out, do them a favor and STOP THEM. These people are predator's. It is our obligation to not allow crooks like this to function in our economy. Please don't use them.
Troy B.

matthewa59
12/14/17

I ordered something on Amazon and they have trouble with this card.
-Ordered on Dec 7. Every day I get an email from Amazon saying to correct payment method...
This card is a waste of money.
Can I have my money -BACK-..??!

juanitac20
11/2/17

My name is Juanita Cleveland last year for Christmas I brought my Uncle Charles Williams a green dot visa debit card. Plus I paid the fee to purchase if about $ 4.95. We activated his card and my Aunt sometime I believe last February. My Uncle decided to use his card yesterday at Wal-Mart to buy halloween candy, where I purchased the cards .He was told by the cashier he did not have any funds. He immediately went home and called the number on the backof the card and was told he had a -$15.90 balance due to monthly service fees. Explain how someone has a negative balance on prepaid, with a company that says no hidden fees. The rep yesterday could not explain so my Uncle called me. I went to his house after work and called with him present and was greeted by Nina. Nina said he was only charged 2 months of service fees that's why the negative balance. I told her the math dies not add up. She also said she sees where he did not use the card. However she could not refund or reload his card
She said their system could not do that. I after being put on hold a couple of times and asking for a refund I asked for a supervisor. I was initially told several times there wasn't anyone. After being put on hold again Hubert came on the line and said they could not refund or reload the $50. I put on the card because green dot charges monthly fees. He then asked if we had a receipt or the card packaging. What a joke! We went through different senerials, and I asked if I brought a toaster a year ago did he expect me to have a box or receipt for an exchange? His answer was that was different. I asked again and again for a refund or reload and we were denied. How can you say no over dreary fees and you overdraft prepaid visa debits constantly,and consistently. You are Miss leading your customers purposely. To top it all off and I guess this is how you make a profit you are extremely hard to get a hold of for assistance. Your pholosy should be take their money plus the card fees. Make sure the customer can't reach you. Don't forget if they do reach you have people in place that can't or won't help. I say all this to say I want my Uncle to have his present of $ 50. And how is it that one representative can tell us the card was not used and the other says the system does not show anything. My name again is Juanita Cleveland. My Uncle name is Charles Williams. My cell is 843 991 3115. My email is jjcleve@tds.net. My Uncle email is CharlesWilliams@homesc.com.
I would appreciate my Uncle present back. Please don't forget he had a negative balance.
Juanita Cleveland
We can't even get a response from green dot. I wonder why? I guess this company doesn't have anyone available.

yvonnes60
10/27/17

I have been a green dot never for several years . I was recently denied my claim but I proivddd additional information that could help my case all yall have to do is call them. The reps are really nice and not disrespectful . You have to Rember this is not a actual bank they cant do what regular banks can do. Im just saying I have had great service with them.

marcettab
9/19/17

# 05758607 After the hurricane in Texas I filed Identity theft to check my back up card ...Green Dot for my extra funds. Any company that I have contacted since the concern has did what they can do to expedite the Texas customers. I explained to the these funds depended on me being homeless no one expressed any sympathy or went out of the way to assist me due to the circumstance. I was told I needed to send another form in because it was denied because of information that I filled out wrong. After submitting again they told me to wait another 2 weeks in which I was never called back since the initial time that I filed dispute. I was never questioned by a supervisor or representative by return of call. I had to call them they canceled my card so I was not able to talk to the customer service line without a card number it took me a couple of days to find another number for assistance to again receive customer service. It would be different if I disputed large amounts all the time. That would be a red flag for them to deny it, not only do I have to pay for new card they are telling me I'm denied in getting my funds reversed. Know one was given my pin number that information was filled out incorrectly. I sent it the corrected form with more supportive information and they stated that I will still need to wait 2 weeks. The fault is at customer service assistance because if I was guided correctly or ever called back by someone to discuss I would have fixed the issue along time ago. I don't accept having to wait another 2 weeks when I am homeless and they know the conditions with Texas inclement weather. They give you company Terms and conditions as if I dont work in customer service. I go out my way to resolve issues for mistakes caused by the customer service agents I work with. Not matter the compromise I find away to resolve the customer issue with one call resolution not 2 weeks. I'm able to verify payments and refund within 24 hours, if a customer has a problem with a charge. Even if It takes me an hour to complete and I have to call the customer back I as a agent take responsibility at the end of the day no matter how good a product can be if there is poor customer service it is not worth it

Green Dot Support Hi, Marcetta. We are here to help. Please send us a private message with your name and contact information. -AB
Love
Marcetta Bailey 8323592047
Like · Reply · 32 minutes ago
Manage
Marcetta Bailey
Marcetta Bailey Thanks for providing that additional information. As you did already advised, we see that you have spoke with a few representatives regarding this matter. Unfortunately, the outcome regarding your dispute case will remain unless you are able to provide additional information that will allow us to reopen your dispute. We see that a dispute letter providing more details from your case has been mailed in which you will receive in 2 weeks. -AB

michaelw356
7/4/17

Please stay away from this business because they will totally Ignore you when something goes wrong on your giftcard. They possibly could be keeping the card themselves. It sounds crazy but it may not be. They Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore ignore. One vanilla and restaurant giftcards are usually 100 times more helpful and nice! Walmart, which is a good company needs to wake up and get rid of this company very fast and do only business with onevanilla who are nice and respect people.

duncanb42
3/3/17

Loaded my greendot pay-as-you-go card, made sure the load worked, went to the ONLY site online I use the card at, and... It was declined, because greenf*** is "holding payment until March 7th" - which HAPPENS to be their billing date for their monthly fee. Greendot, YOU SUCK DEAD BABY BUNNY BALLS.

claytonr10
12/20/16

If you buy a card, your monthly fee will go up after some time of using it. The monthly fees are ridiculous. $7.99 just to use these guys? I don't think so. And $4.95 to reload? I don't think so. And take a look at all the bad reviews here... they are true stories. You will not be satisfied. Just stay very far away from them.
I switched to Netspend.

cinnamonc
12/18/16

My husband bought this card so we could shop online for Christmas, we ran out of money so naturally we wanted to reload it. We went to the nearest green dot location and he went to load the card at the register with 200 dollars in cash. The clerk told him he had to buy a Money Pak card to reload it. First of all, you have to create another, separate account to use Money Paks services , then lo and behold it came to my surprise that an alert came up saying Money Pak can only be used on permanent cards ( where your name is on it ). We were not informed of this at the time of sale, and the sales clerk insisted it was the only way and did not use the register to load the card as she said it was unavailable for their device. So I called customer service, to see if they can over ride the system by just directly accessing from their system and adding the money pak info into it.. After explaining it to a representative they said they would transfer me to a supervisor which instead I was place back in the automated system to have to teleprompt all over again. Then I had to explain the situation to another person. Which told me there were no supervisors available to assist me and that they could no longer override the system to add funds from money pak as they have a new contract that doesn't allow that and is only exclusive to money pak a completely separate entity. We now have to wait until Dec 21 when the permanent card comes in the mail in order to use the funds. So close to Christmas and I can't shop for my son. His big purchase was gonna be on that card. What if we needed the money for food and it was the last of our money? How would we eat? I'm so pissed. The stores they allow to sell their cards are uninformed and ignorant. They do not have the information required to help you out and your stuck like me unable to use the funds. Plus it's another 5.95 charge to buy the money pak.. What a scam. They make it look like it'll save you money when in reality their just as bad as banks with all the activation charges. We have spent 14 dollars so far in fees to use their poor services. 1.95 to buy the card then 7.95 for their monthly services, then 5.95 for the money pak... Dont ever use this awful system. Such a waste!!!!!!!!!!!! Better to western union someone money than go through this crap.

jimil1
5/29/16

I get direct deposit on the card for over two years. Due to the amount of purchases and deposits, it costs me a total of $0.00 per month to maintain the account!!

There is one issue that I am not happy with, they stopped allowing international transactions a couple of months ago. I am a hobbyist and collector and have purchased many many items over the years from all around the world. I have not had a single issue and even ran a dozen or so with Green Dot. For some reason, they no longer allow international purchases. I do not like that at all. I now have to go through the extra expense of Western Union money to someone if I want to use the proceeds on the card.

Other than that, Green Dot is great in every sense of the word.

davidp134

they totally suck
wheres my money

bobr23
2/11/15

The Green Dot Moneypak is great - if it works. If you don't know what you're doing you will delete the amount on the card and have to notify Green Dot for a reimbursement, which can take weeks. Green Dot had some major issues with this card around 2012 - 2013 because of all the scams going on with people trying to take advantage of other people with it. Walmart doesn't handle them anymore and it's rare to find a Turkey Hill that will sell you one. CVS still sells them BUT make sure you get a newer card that is dated 2014 or newer. ALSO, make sure after you pay for the card and get it loaded that you get a receipt that shows it's loaded. If not, ask the cashier to re-try. If still no good ask for your money back before you leave. I love these cards when they work for loading my Horse Racing accounts or Paypal. Just tellin' my opinion.

Tip for consumers: Update: "Green Dot Moneypak" no longer sold.

sarac32
11/7/14

Stay away from this horrible place. These greendot money pak cards do not work 99% of the time (Says no money was found on the card or did not go through) and you have to call their crappy customer service to tell them about your problem since the store you purchased the card from cannot do anything about it. They will keep you on hold for a long time and eventually say they're sorry and will "refund" your money through mail by a check (for me i never got mine at all). Point being, they will steal your money and say they refunded it back. It amazes me how many people say this thing is great and still is in business. They're probably members of the company posing as customers saying they had a great time using it and recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to use a credit card online. Find another method to pay for stuff online or just use your own card to avoid dealing with these scammers!

You don't. They SUCK.

By Duncan B.
Questions? Get answers from the Green Dot staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Green Dot