Review of NetSpend

Tel: 1-866-387-7363
customerservice@netspend.com

joef325
4/3/19

Netspend had Synina Rodriguez and Oscar Sotuyo who were Customer Experience Analysts. I provided them with documentation showing I was incarcerated, not in possession of the card and there was a restraining/ no contact order in effect with the ex girlfriend who used the card. We are not married, no joint bank accounts, she is not an authorized user on the account, and our relationship was ended the day I was arrested and the restraining/ no contact/ order of protection was put into effect and any previously rites, authorities, or agreements became null in void. As also stated in the police report. All privledges were revoked upon arrest and dissolution of the relationship. How can this not be automatic grounds for reimbursement. Also how could no fraud warnings or procedures be in place when multiple high value atm withdrawals are done in one day??! How can they have a woman call, have recordings of her voice! And allow her to order a new card to a different address then on file and send it??! This is ludicrous! And no provisional credit during the investigation??? I'm a senior. Please help!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Joseph,

We understand you are dissatisfied with the conclusion of your dispute claim.

When investigating dispute claims reported by our cardholders, we adhere to the processes as defined in both Regulation E and in Netspend cardholder agreements that customers receive when opening an account.

After additional review of your dispute claim, we have confirmed that it was handled appropriately. The documentation regarding your dispute investigation has been mailed to your address on file.

kayanag
12/3/18

I've had a Netspend account for a few years. I have 40% of my pay deposited into that account and the other 60% deposited into my credit union account which I've only had for 1 year. 11/29/2018 I received my payroll deposit around 10:40pm. The next day I placed an order on EBay around 11:20 and went to log into the Netspend app using my finger print and this was the first time it asked me to actually type in my password. Didn't think anything of it since sometimes things like this happens with apps. The problem was it was not accepting my password. So I clicked the forgot password button to have a temp password emailed to my yahoo account. Did not receive the email so I tried it again and nothing happened. Called Netspend to let them know and they asked to verify my email address. Once I done that, the rep told me that they had a hotmail email addyon file for me. I knew this was not right because I've never used hotmail and Netspend has always sent correspondences to my yahoo address. So the rep updated my account back to my yahoo email so he can send a temp password so I can reset mine and log in. It wasn't until I logged in that I realized $540 plus and additional $18 transfer fee was charged for Western Union. I immediately went off and filed a dispute. I also contact Western Union fraud dept and filed a dispute with them as well. Long story short, they said I have to wait until 12/14 to see if I qualify for a temp credit back to my account. Today is Monday 12/3 and western union says the person that received the money was a lady named Michelle Dodson from Kansas City Missouri. Mind you, I live in Virginia and so does all my family and I have never sent money through Western Union ever in my life. After reading some of these comments and finding out there was a class action lawsuit against Netspend, I'm convinced this is an inside job. I will have an update for you on 12/14 to see if I get my money back. And I am also filing a police report

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Kayana,

We regret to hear that there was an unauthorized transfer made from your account. We would like to make sure this is addressed and request that you contact us at social@netspend.com. We will have someone from our main office contact you to assist with your dispute claim.

arthurb58
10/25/18

Netspend has some positive features, they do have overdraft protection for anyone who has direct deposit and their online banking website is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. However, you do have to pay a monthly fee for the overdraft protection feature and to prevent from being charged a fee for every transaction made. My biggest gripe with Netspend is the inconsistency in when your direct deposit appears in your account. At first, the pay I receive from my employer would appear on Wednesdays every two weeks. However, it appears after a while, direct deposit transactions from the same employer were showing up later and later. My last payday, for example, I got paid Thursday morning around 5 am. This week is another payday for me, and I have yet to see my paycheck appear in my account, which has caused significant inconvenience for me. With that said, I'm going to switch to another online bank.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Arthur,

We appreciate your feedback.

Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us. However, we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives, whether that be Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com should you have any questions or concerns.

danar96
10/19/18

Don't brother. They charge a good amount ( fee ) for every transaction tied to your card, it adds up rather quickly.
They also take it upon themselves to put hold on your card with out any notice or attempt to fix the issue. Instead they leave you stranded, with no access to your money. Waiting on hold for 35 min to be told the reasonings for the hold was to to an usual transaction was made using the card get this $#*! the amount which sent off red flags was for $1.00 . Yep . Done

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Dana,

We regret to hear about the problems you have experienced with our service.

We do offer different fee plans that can help you save money. Please visit https://www.netspend.com/prepaid-debit/how-it-works/fee-plan/ for more information.

In regards to your recent block, we can assure you that it was only meant as a protection on your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to address any concerns.

christines319
8/16/18

This company sucks. I have been trying to contact a live representative for days now and I only get one prompt when I call and it asks me for the card number and the PIN. When I enter this information it says that my pin is not correct. I know for a fact that my pin is correct and I'm starting to get really pissed off now. Instead of resolving this quickly, I had to text help in order for someone to respond. They responded by giving me an email address. I don't want to text them, I don't want to email them I just want to speak to a live human being and stop getting the runaround. Basically the money I put on the card is useless. I will never ever again in my life purchase a card from NetSpend. If you're looking to speak with someone, good luck because I've been trying for days. I do not recommend NetSpend to anyone unless they want to lose their money and get screwed

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Christine,

We regret to hear that you have not been able to reach a live representative over the phone. Most options will transfer you to an agent, or you can report that you do not have your card to be transferred. However, please email social@netspend.com and we will have someone from our main office contact you.

jeffg255
8/1/18

Net spend is another garbage prepaid debit card company that uses deceptive advertising and marketing. Do yourself a favor and cut your net spend card in half. If you're considering Netspend, do yourself a favor and don't.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Jeff,

We are very sorry to hear that you feel this way about our product. We would like to address any concerns you may have and request that you email us at social@netspend.com.

jamesm1366
7/17/18

I changed my mind about getting their card. I repeatedly tried to call them to cancel the card,but it is impossible to get through ro a person. I will just shred the thing if send it to me. I will never use this card with shoddy customer service like this.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear James,

We regret to hear about the poor service you experienced with canceling your card. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will have someone contact you to make sure your concerns are addressed.

karusunek
6/21/18

I've never had any communication with the company prior to the recent incident, but they decided it would be a good idea to buy my personal information from a broker and send me a card in the mail. This was never initiated on my end and is an illegal practice.

Tip for consumers: I would avoid doing business with them due to their illegal and immoral business practices.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Samuel,

Netspend relies on affiliate marketing services as a source for reaching potential new customers and your information was acquired through these business relationships. Your name and address were provided to this third party, and that information was opted in to receive offers and marketing materials from the third party as well as any third party with whom you chose to share the information. Because Netspend feels strongly about customer privacy, we only contract with marketing affiliates that have collected the information from willing consumers and have received permission to share it with us.

Please email us at social@netspend.com and we can make sure this card offer is cancelled, and also ensure you do not receive any more.

deniset61
Denise T.
5/27/18

I see a lot of bad reviews, but honestly, I had one issue with them and they corrected it immediately and I was able to talk to a supervisor. I was upset at the time, but hey, problem solved. Also I have used this card for years. Seriously. So either you're using it wrong or the place where you are buying it is not familiar with what to do. I've often had to school some cashiers on how the card works. Some times it hard to understand some Netspend agents, but it still works out. So kudos to NetSpend. And it not just a card for the irresponsible people, it's allows you have another option when it comes to banking in general. The traditional banks are going away. Their cards also offer a savings account making interest and its very good for business purposes. Goodness they are giving you a bank account with a full routing number. If you ARE down on your luck and the typical banks won't give you the time of day, NetSpend is giving you an instant checking and saving account where you can deposit your paycheck. All you have to do is put $20 bucks on the card. Heck you can even scan your physical paycheck to the checking account from a mobile phone. Think about it. I'm not mad, NetSpend. With all these bad reviews, maybe re-think the marketing plan:) I like it though. Thumbs up from me!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Denise!

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear that you have been using our card for so long. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com and we will be glad to help.

Regards,

alanb211
5/9/18

netspend is A COMPLETE SCAM! I purchased a card and deposited my money over a year ago, and have not yet been able to activate my card or access my money. They put a hold on my card and referred me to the fraud department, and every attempt to appease the overseas idiots has been unsuccessful. They don't want to talk to you, or even listen to you, and definitely don't want to work with you to resolve any issues. Netspend has effectively STOLEN MY MONEY, and I don't know if I'll ever get my $500 back. The security protocols seem to be intended to prevent people from using the card, undoubtedly so they can steal all your money in "fees" over time. They are basically crooks and thieves engaged in racketeering, and my only hope is some eager attorney sees the potential opportunity of initiating a class action lawsuit against this criminal enterprise. It may be the only way I ever see a dime of the hard earned cash I turned over to these bloodsuckers. STAY AWAY from netspend!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Alan,

We regret to hear that you have been unable to access your account. Security is very important to us and we may just need to verify some information with you. Please email social@netspend.com and a member from our head office will contact you to make sure this is addressed.

patriciab202
8/12/17

This place is a rip off. They charge you for EVERYTHING! It charges fees for everything. I tried to close my account and have my money returned to me and that didn't happen. When I went to check my balance I had a ZERO BALANCE, and was told it was taken for account maintenance! What the hell! This place is so ridiculous. And just try to get someone on the phone who speaks fluent English! Run from this rip off company! It's funny I was never charged a maintenance fee as long as I was using this stupid card! It doesn't deserve any stars at all!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Patricia,

We understand your concern regarding the fees associated with your account. We do have different plans to help save you money on these fees, but we would like to look further into this for you. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure these maintenance fees are addressed.

gays6
7/30/17

THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF NETSPEND, CHANGE UR NAME TO NOTSPEND BECAUSE U GUYS SUCK! ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG, WILL GO WRONG WITH NOTSPEND. MY RATING SHOULD REALLY SAY -1

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
We hate to hear comments like this. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to address any concerns you may have with our card.

chrisym
4/12/17

I agree never use this company ever. They only want your money. I concur! Netspend told me that a company, whom I did not authorize to charge my card. I called netspend to get my money reversed back onto my card and they explained that I need to cut up my card. WAIT 20 DAYS TO DISPUTE THIS TRANSACTION. Thats when I said this a CRYING SHAME. WHAT THE F&*%$. NETSPEND GET'S A FAT 0!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Chrisy,

We are very sorry to hear about the unauthorized transaction on your account. We understand the dispute process can be lengthy, but we will do everything we can to have your funds returned. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed.

jennam30
3/8/17

First of all I got this as a gift card, had no idea how to use it AND to my knowledge gift cards don't usually expire. This one had an expiration date of 2019 so I thought I had plenty of time. Since they have to send you a permenert card, I never got mines, after countless times of Calling customer service. Long story short, not even a year passed and I called to ask AGAIN for a new card and she told me that my account balance was only $16, when the original gift was $100!!!! I was in ABSOULTE shock. She then proceeded to tell me that they had a maintenance fee to keep the card active and it brought the card down to such a low balance. WHAT A RIP OFF! I am so disappointed that I was never informed of this fee and I will never be using their services and don't recommend anyone does either.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Jenna,

We certainly understand your concerns about the fees associated with your account. Unfortunately, our cards are not gift cards, but reloadable prepaid debit cards. However, we can certainly assist you with this. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure these fees are addressed.

cherylc90
2/26/17

I would of give this company 0 stars if I could of all they care about is them they will not give you a tracking number when you pay there dam fee to get the card sooner. They will not accept any direct deposits if you do not have your card even after you have paid that fee. They will not do anything to help you out. The second I get access to my money I will be pulling it all out and going to a differnt company Stay as far away from these people as you can.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Cheryl,

We regret to hear about your recent experience with our service. We should be able to provide you with a tracking number for your expedited card. Please email social@netspend.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

kionj
2/25/17

They charge you for the card (4.95) they charge you for reloading the card (4.95) They charge you for every transaction (1.00) they charge you to pull money out the ATM (2.00) They charge you for purchasing anything online (1.00) so basically Everytime you use the card they take your Money also ! This was never informed to me . If your already using their services why take additional money off every time I use the card ? I would rather have a bank account , or a green dot card . They both would save you way more money ! Netspend is a scam & I wouldn't recommend & their customer service representative are very unprofessional , and confusing . I just told them to Shut my card off Immediately , I'd rather spend $25 to open up a ligit bank account , it's so worth it . Now you can actually save your money with NETSPEND taking anything from you ... Thanks State Employees Credit Union

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear Kion,

We understand your concerns regarding the fees associated with your card. These fees are assessed due to the services that are offered with the card. We also offer different fee plans to better suit your spending needs. Please email social@netspend.com and we will look into different options for you. We look forward to assisting you.

jeannew15
12/19/16

Got a gift card and used it once. A website tried to take my money while there was none on it and then NetSpend didn't decline it. I reloaded my card with 50 dollars on it and then had -2 dollars when I went to use it. Then I called them to complain and blamed me. Terrible. Never use this credit card company. It will scam you big time and you will never get your money back! I am not satisfied ONE BIT!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Jeanne,

We regret to hear about your recent experience with our service. We do not offer gift cards, but reloadable prepaid debit cards. We would like to research why your balance was negative and request that you email us at social@netspend.com. We will contact you as soon as possible.

indiae1
12/6/16

Netspend sucks! Customer service is horrible, I called them three different times and received different information each time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was placed on hold for 45 minutes. I called back and spoke with another sup name Rio and he was so rude. Never again. Lessons learn!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Dear India,

We apologize for the service that you experienced with our Customer Service Department. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will report this incident to the management staff of the customer service agents you spoke with.

We look forward to hearing from you.

charlinet
3/15/16

They nickel and dime you. Charge for making a phone. This is the first time I used this and the last time

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Charline,

We regret to hear that you are unhappy with our service. We do offer different fee plans to help save you money. Please visit https://www.netspend.com/how_it_works/what_it_costs.shtml for more information. If you have any concerns, please feel free to email us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to help.

nakiaj2
3/1/16

I mean so so horrible. I been filing my son taxes for years. He went to college in Sept. He ordered netspend online for his taxes to go on card. They put a hold on card. Saying he need to prove his identity. I mean IRS,approved him what the hell NETSPEND need additional info for. I been dealing with them for 2weeks still haven't released his funds. I have sent in license, Social, school ID and letter from school and they still haven't released his money now they say they need school records really they sucks get a Walmart green dot they are awesome!!!!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Nakia,

We regret to hear of the problems your son experienced with our card.

We are required to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a prepaid debit card account. When our cardholders open a card account or add a secondary cardholder, we ask for their name, physical street address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to reasonably identify them. The requirement to obtain this information is displayed on the inside flap of the card package and is visible to consumers prior to purchase. The card package also states that use of the card is limited prior to identity verification.

Please have your son email us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to help.

linziel
2/13/16

Ordered my FIRST card on the 25th of January and was supposed to receive it between Feb 3rd - 8th. It is now the 13th and I still haven't received my FIRST card. I called on the 10th to pay 25$ to have my SECOND card shipped and RECEIVED in 1-2 days so by the 12th. Now they are telling me I should receive the second card on or before the 16th. So much paying 25$ for 1-2 day shipping. All anyone from customer service does is lie and give you the run around. I would call see what they told me then call back knowing I wouldn't get the same person and they would tell me something completely different. They talk over you and don't let you talk. Don't even try to talk to a supervisor. I called 2 times in a row to speak with one and was on hold both times for a MINIMUM of 35 minutes before hanging up. I tried emailing them and they just do the same thing. Also the fees are ridiculous, as soon as my money was deposited to my account they already took a 3$ fee from my money. Not to mention the misleading 25$ for overnight shipping. I have money that I can't even use and no one at spend seems to care. Worst company ever. If you have a Kroger grocery store near you I suggest you pay $3 to get one of their cards they are amazing. Earn points wherever you shop and earn free groceries when you shop at Kroger. If I hadn't lost my account number I would've used it to avoid a horrible company like net spend.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Linzie,

We regret to hear that you did not receive your card in a timely fashion.

Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed. We also want to make sure that the management staff of the agents you spoke with are notified to prevent issues like this in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you.

amberf14
1/20/16

Unsafe to keep my money on. Continusly loseing my funds. Unable to receive them back without at least a weeks wait for their investigation process if I even get it back at all. Lets bussiness take double payments at the same time without questioning it. This card has been nothing short of a headach. The more you use it the more confused they get and the more loss you will suffer. Can't understand the customer service employees and they don't know what their doing. They will say one thing til you get mad enough to ask for a supervisor then put you on hold and come back with another totally opposite answer. This card holder sucks terribly. If you want to keep your money DON'T USE NETSPEND.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Amber,

We regret to hear of the problems you have experienced with our service.

NetSpend is very committed to providing a safe and secure product. If you notice an error on your account and contact us, we will immediately open a dispute and begin an investigation.

Customer service is also very important to us. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed to avoid incidents like this in the future.

plumah
12/4/15

They rude, can not help you at all, why do they even have customer service if they can't help you, wanted to charge me $25 to have my card replaced.

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi Pluma,

Customer service is very important to us and we would like to make sure this gets addressed. Please email social@netspend.com and we will look into this.

cm72
12/23/14

I reached a customer service Star - it happens!
I can be quite vocal when it comes to complaining about something I don't like, it's easy. However, when I receive great service I like to celebrate it as well.
The call I had was a "once in a lifetime" type of call. It was like speaking with an old time friend who related to me well and was able to take care of my needs as a netspend customer as well. Now I think it will be impossible for me to think of netspend without a smile on my face.
My customer service agent was kind, supportive and incredibly helpful.

Even though I had many other things to do, I just wouldn't be able to sleep without writing a review just like I told him I would.
Netspend makes me happy by paying me ahead of time. I have my money and can take care of what I need to while my co-workers are still waiting for their checks.
Also if I am in a tight spot their $10 cushion has covered me. No cost for it at all. I can go over and then it's taken back when I get my next deposit. You won't know how cool that is until you have to use it. I am so used to it that when I have $500 in my account, in my head I say I have $510--LOL! Sweet!

I won't get paid for this and I don't work for them. I am simply keeping my world.
I told my rep that I would post at least 5 reviews because I was just that "happy".
Magic doesn't happen with every person we come into contact with but sometimes it does and it's best to rave about it. If I was angry I'd probably write 10 reviews so really I am just balancing things out in the universe. I am sending out some good and it feels good. I hope everyone gets to speak with a good rep.

Tip: Sometimes when you see someone isn't going to help you/isn't nice, just end the call and call back for that perfect one. I have done that with every customer service line in the world. Also, I work in customer service and I always try to be that "person" that you are happy you reached. I will speak to you kindly and smile even if I am sad or ticked off :-) as I do everything I can to help you because I love being treated well too! Cheerio!

Response from Travis V., NetSpend Representative
Hi CM,

We are very happy to hear about your pleasant experience with our customer service. If you have any concerns in the future, please feel free to email us at social@netspend.com.

samanthav4
12/12/14

...
I haveNet Spend, opened it a couple months ago and get my direct deposit on it. I made a purchase through another company didn't feel comfortable about the purchase so I wanted to wipe out card and get a new one. Net spend said they had put a block on it, until the new card came in. I asked the customer service representative if you could get a temporary card until the new one came in. Her reply was I need to purchase one. So I purchased a card called customer service and they saidI need verify the account I would have to answer some social security questions. The question were pertaining to street addresses that I had no idea what they were. They said I didn't answer the questions correctly. To me the addresses have nothing to do with social security. I spoke to a supervisor and I was agitated and then they told me they would have the fraud department contact me in 24 hours. I then called social security and asked if they ask about addresses and they said they don't. They said I was a victim of a possible scam and fraud. I also went to consumer affairs website and there are several complaints about asking no pertaining questions on account. Net spend refuses to release my money until I verify their questions. Another representative told me that fraud department would call me back in 2-3 day and whoever told me 24 hours was misinformed. I feel like I am a victim of fraud.

Hi Jason, We are sorry to hear that you had trouble activating your card. Please email us at socail@netspend.com and we will be happy to assist you with this. Thank you, Netspend

By Travis V., NetSpend Representative

Hi Roger, We do manage the Western Union Prepaid MasterCard. This product allows you to send and receive Western Union Transfers. We also offer services such as Mobile Check Loads and Anytime Alerts. For more information, please visit https://www.wunetspendprepaid.com/how-it-works.shtml. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

By Travis V., NetSpend Representative

Hi Lessie, We understand how frustrating it can be to experience unauthorized charges on your account. NetSpend is very committed to providing a safe and secure product. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to look into this. Thank you, NetSpend

By Travis V., NetSpend Representative

Hi Emily, We are happy to hear that you won your dispute! If you are still waiting, please email us at social@netspend.com and we will be glad to help. Thank you, NetSpend

By Travis V., NetSpend Representative

Questions? Get answers from the NetSpend staff and other customers.

1 Photo for NetSpend