NetSpend

NetSpend has a consumer rating of 1.35 stars from 83 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. NetSpend also ranks 7th among Debit Card sites. The most common issues with NetSpend are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.2%

No positive highlights yet

• I used an atm to withdraw money from my netspend card.
  • I called customer service and explained the issue.
How would you rate NetSpend?

“How Netspend Redeems Itself”

Ms H.
7/12/20

About a week or 2 ago I posted a review on this site mentioning all the difficulties I was having with Netspend. My review prompted Netspend to take action, and do the right thing. On 6/25/20 Netspend not only dropped the $9.95 fee for my stolen card, but they also credited my account $20. Now Netspend did deduct $5.95 for their monthly maintenance fee for June, but other than that my account is in the green and I am pleased.

“I wish I didn't have to give them any stars”

Angelica S.
5/25/20

Just garbage! Will never use them again my son was setting up my card used his name by accident (he's only 14) called them because I noticed the mistake they have you jumping through loops over and over again I sent them verification of me and my son even to his ss# number and birth certificate they keep sending back emails But not answering at this point I just want my money back! Will never use them again they will rip you off and steal your money! Beware

card (65) customer service (23) money (59) account (38) 24 hours (5) gift card (7) long story (3) 10 business days (3) maintenance fee (3)
angelicas68
May 25th, 2020

Tip for consumers: Don’t use them they are horrible

karab109
May 19th, 2020
If I were to go negative I should've gotten a notice... NOPE! No email! Nothing! My available balance was $60 just checked last night and didn't buy anything afterwards but I checked it again today and somehow have -$250! I cannot get a hold of anyone about this... i'm supposed to get a direct deposit tomorrow so I guess I have to just sit tight and wait patiently for 3 days to hear back from them! I'm so confused! I hope they don't take all of my money this is so messed up! Netspend should be available 24/7! I'm losing my mind right now!
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
Unusually high call volumes are leading to extended waits. We apologize for the inconvenience. You can also email us at social@netspend.com for additional assistance.
msh20
July 12th, 2020
• Updated review
My review prompted Netspend to take action, and do the right thing.
The Rollercoaster that is Netspend
June 24th, 2020
• Previous review
The purpose of this review is not to bash Netspend, but to let them know how they can improve.

Netspend's Direct Deposit option is gold, FDIC insured, 2 day early pay, purchase cushion of $10 etc...
Those are great attributes of Netspend, and are why I became a customer of Netspend in the first place.

Moving on to bad side of Netspend.
I had my debit card stolen at the end of 2019. I reported it to Netspend, they sent me out another card. All is well, but why do I as the customer have to pay $9.95 for a card that was stolen from me?
Now that made me ponder that for a minute or two, and then I went on about my day.

It gets worse!

On May 20th of this year I reached out to Netspend for the first time.
I used the contact email provided to me by Netspend on their login page. That is very important to remember, as I go along.

I got the first *******@donotreply message from Netspend stating "your message has been received, we will be sure to respond as soon as possible." Typical email automation message, so I felt good at the time.

Seven days go by...
Seven more...
Then another seven.
Then three more, and at this point I have emailed Netspend almost seven to eight times, and I am beyond frustrated.

(Btw, I did call them, and they either kept bouncing me around/their line was busy)

Its now June 18th, and I (the customer) take it upon myself to search "contact us Netspend".
One of the first links I click on takes me to yet another landing page of Netspend's and Lord and Behold there's a different email address on this landing page.

I take a deep breath.
I hit send, and go on about my day.
I did not have any standards for Netspend at this point, so I was genuinely surprised when I received an email from the last email address I contacted.

To summarize what happens next, On June 21st I called the # provided in the most recent email from Netspend, and I am once again bounced around until I get a rep on the line.

Once me and her begin speaking I ask her why my account is locked.
I am told that after a certain amount of months, with little to no activity Netspend will close the account. I say okay, because that is a very logical reason to close someone's account. That didn't bother me.

What did bother me, was the fact that at no point in time did Netspend give me a heads up on the status of my account.
A rep. Of Netspend could have very easily sent me an automated message stating you have a certain amount of days to start actively using your account before it is terminated.

What's even better is that it is now June 24th, and my account is "supposedly" activated, and Netspend will not allow me access to my account. Even with the correct info.

Bye Netspend!,
Your Former Customer

Tip for consumers: Do NOT put all your eggs in the same basket.
You WILL get screwed in the end.

joed786
September 22nd, 2020
Ive had money taken off my card unauthorized! I filed a dispute and now its been months. They say there still investiagting. They keep blowing me off every other agent gives a further and further date for the next update. They just keep your money and play games. I highly recommend to stay far far away from this scammers at netspend. I dont see how they can legally operate with being blatant scammers. If i could get neg stars i would
angryc94
June 25th, 2020
Charged a 1.00 for receiving a direct deposit from my job. Also was charged $200 in fee's alone FOR using my own money. They just make money from fees and this is definitely a bad way to keep your money safe. Just keep it at home or pay the bank and keep your money safe. I would suggest not ever using a prepaid card. They are working night and day to stay your hard earned dough. NetSpend should be NEGspend because you'll soon be in the negative.
tyannl
April 23rd, 2020
Closed my account for no reason I even called before I sent me direct deposits representative said my account is in good standing before Corvid 19 pandemic they stopped all my direct deposits because if that he caused problems with stimulus direct deposit. Do Not Go them All access with NetSpend I haven't gotten paid in over a month and I have kids and bills to pay facing eviction at this point.
alexs1153
June 25th, 2020
Woke up this morning to a notification that my account was locked I've had said account for close to 3 years every dime I had was in that account I have bills due on the first and there is no way of getting to MY money besides waiting "20 business days" for my check in the mail what a joke wish I would of got another bank account sooner please save yourself the headache and do not use them
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We are sorry to hear this. To speak with us about your account, please email social@netspend.com.
erinb262
May 4th, 2020
If another option is available use it. The customer service act as if they care. They are of no help and know less. They pretend not to hear me and disconnect if its close to 5 pm. Remove money as fast as you can.

Tip for consumers: unsure

Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We are sorry to hear this. Please email us at social@netspend.com for assistance.
shebal1
September 21st, 2020
My husband debit card wa stolen with his license. Whoever took it went to another state to 3 different banks and took 13,900 from us. We called after talking with 13 reps 3 supervisors, and also sent them proof that we was at work during those transactions also sent police report identification fraud report still havent recieve funds. Can anybody recommend a good attorney? I HAD A ACCOUNT QITH THEM FOR OVER 5 YEARS AND THEY CLOSED IT
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We're sorry to hear that. To speak with us about the dispute process and your concerns, please have the cardholder email us at social@netspend.com.

shelleyr91
June 12th, 2020
What a scam this company is. I received a card a gift that looks like a visa debit. Apparently, you have so many many days to set up an account with them or the card expires, even though the card says it is good through 9/22 They were 'gracious' enough to offer to send me a new card with no balance. LOL. This company is a SCAM and I am going to report them to whomever regulates them.
edithr44
May 14th, 2020
THERE IS A FEE FOR EVERYTHING, IT'S RIDICULOUS! Received this card with $60 as a gift. Was charged two fees of $5.95 EACH for "account maintenance," whatever that is! And was charged $1 EVERY SINGLE TIME that I used the card for a purchase. A total of $15 in fees was retrieved from my account... mind you that I only had this gift card for 48 hours!
Oh, and they charge another fee for closing your account!
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We're sorry to hear you were not pleased with your services. Since we offer prepaid debit cards and not gift cards, there are fees associated with our products. To speak with us about your concerns, please email social@netspend.com.
markyi
May 7th, 2020
Netspend stole 347.00 from me locked my account for no reason they locked your account and make a excuse to keep your money these people are criminals now I don't work no more so I have no money this is a scam plz unlock my account you guys just stole my other $30.00 today on may7 why do you guys still people money I've called the cops I'm sick of people still my money this is a fake prepaid company all they do is still
Hello,

We're sorry to hear this.

Your personal information and Card Account security are very important to us. If we detect suspicious or high risk activity, your Card Account may be suspended/ blocked, in order to verify information with you. We understand this can be an inconvenience, but we can assure you that it is only meant as a protection of your Card Account. Our automated phone line is open 24/7 and offers the ability to resolve many temporary account restrictions.

For additional assistance, please email us at social@netspend.com.

tammyd195
February 18th, 2020
Can't understand the guy in customer service. He activated a permanent card but somehow the money on my temporary card has been lost. It wasn't much but it was mine. He denies I had any money on there and now I am livid! Do not use net spend they are lying thieves. Greendot is way better never had a problem with them!
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We're sorry to hear that. We are happy to look into your account with you. Please email us at social@netspend.com for assistance.

rickl233
May 13th, 2020
My friend suggested i sign up for the NetSpend card using his link we would each receive $20 bonus. Ok why not. They encourage direct deposit, I have no need for that service. The minimum deposit I needed to qualify ing for the bonus was $40. I had a check from a client for $70 I waited the 10 days for the check to clear which I thought was a bit much and two days after that we would each receive the $20 bonus. It's been six days. I've emailed them three times no response I attempted to call last night but after 22 minutes on hold when the girl finally got to me she kept going hello hello hello and then as if to ignore me she switched me back to the automated system and then I got disconnected. Really? I don't need this card. This car does nothing to enrich my life it doesn't offer anything that any other card can't give you especially when they promise you something and they don't deliver. I was only doing a friend a favor. Because he really could use that extra $20. What a waste of time and energy.
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We're sorry to hear this. To speak with us about the issue, please email social@netspend.com.
ferminr6
March 16th, 2020
Two months ago and I can't use my money I don't recommend it is scam, the experience I have had in this service is the worst they never give you a solution just justifications

Tip for consumers: Dont use

raciner
August 4th, 2020
Amazingly my account is overdrawn almost 500.00. A merchant swiped my card that came up declined. I then paid with cash but it was pending on my account for 8 days. I then called customer service and the charge was reversed. Now somehow I'm overdrawn. I have no idea how that was even allowed when the charge was reversed after being told from the merchant it didn't go through. Now I have no money and what's in my savings, I have no access to. Unbelievable. I normally enjoy my NetSpend but this is one of many reasons why I have to let them go. Fix it NetSpend. My regular account doesn't even overdraw for a figure that high.
alexandrial24
August 23rd, 2020
Do not use this company they not only will charge you ridiculous fees to do any type of transactions they also take money for non transactions even though you have me transactions and they're saying your card has been locked no one wanted to help you but they take the last little bit of money you have on your card and $#*! you over
celested28
March 6th, 2020
I used an atm to withdraw money from my netspend card. Atm didnt give me any money i called number on atm machine the said to call netspend, so i did only to find out netspend will take 90days to decide if they will give back your money... And noone seems to car as long as you put money on your card for them to steal is what it seems like
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We understand the dispute process can take some time. We assure you that we will do everything we can to assist you with getting the funds returned. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you would like to speak with us about your concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

randyh263
January 3rd, 2020
Got card for a Christmas gift. What a nightmare. Tried to activated via web. Got to user name... whatever I put in, already In use. Could not get past this point. Tried phone number, what a joke. No way am I giving you my SS number. Zero stars would be more fitting. Randy H
Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy.

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards, not gift cards. Like other financial companies that offer debit cards, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder.

When you open a Card Account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and your government ID number. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying information. Card activation and identity verification are required before you can use the Card Account.

We would like to make sure that you have access to your funds. Please email social@netspend.com so that we can assist you.

elizabethr730
June 29th, 2020
I am locked out of my acct. I tried to change my password at least 25 times. I called customer service and the rep could barely speak English. I've tried many new passwords and nothing works. I am closing my acct. I hate this bank! So amateur!
damonm60
September 9th, 2020
My name Damon I received 1200 from my stimulus from the irs and they deposited in to the net spend account they lied to me saying they sent out my card and never did then I ask for account closure and they closed the account and suppose to return my balance in 7 to 10 business days and I never received anything and been going thru this since June 19 of this year I have gotten a lawyer whose going to open up a claim because this pain and suffering I have documented all phone calls all emails and all chats all they did was lie to keep my money and I'm almost homeless because of netspend
tinaj185
August 13th, 2020
I noticed a lot of charges on my card and call them right away. They started a dispute and said that they were unauthorized charges and gave me my money back. Then a few days later (on my birthday day) I get a letter in the mail saying that they took the $197 back out of my account because Google IMVU said that they were authorized. I contacted Google IMVU and they said that they were unauthorized charges and that they close down the account. They also sent me an email verifying this information. I called NetSpend back and asked why if it says that it wasn't authorized then why am I not getting my money back and they said there's nothing we can do that they were authorized charges. They end up sending me these big stack of papers that just shows receipts for things that I did not order. I am now stuck with $197 gone out of my account and they told me that all I can do is get a hold of Google IMVU to get the money back. How can I get the money back from Google IMVU when they're saying that the charges were unauthorized and they already gave the money back. I really liked this company at 1st and I made the awful mistake of trusting them with my son school clothes money. It might not seem like a lot of money to somebody else but to me it is. So please do not trust them with your money.
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We are sorry to hear this. Please email us at social@netspend.com so that we can get a few more details from you.

markn421
March 10th, 2020
I bought 2 cards as Christmas gifts and tried to activate for a senior citizen relative. Unfortunately, I waited too long and was told the cards had expired. I have now spent 2 hours on 2 sessions with their customer service trying to either reactivate the cards or get a refund. Each time their service person had to "escalate" the call to get approval to assist me. The 1st time, after 30 minutes of discussion, I was put on hold for 20 minutes and then my call was dropped. The latest service person, Anton, requested all my relatives info including her social security number so that they could issue the card. I gave him the info, even though I will be recharging the balance. After an hour or so, I was put on hold and left for 30 minutes which is when I hung up.

I STRONGLY advise against working with NetSpend
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to speak with you to make sure that funds are able to be accessed. Please email us at social@netspend.com for assistance.

skylerw9
June 10th, 2020
Had daughter pick me up a net spend card to make a online payment so I didnt have to drive 32 miles to make a bike payment do not use this company if you want to see your money again just go hand it to some random person
Travis V. – NetSpend Rep
We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your services. For assistance, please email us at social@netspend.com.
roshieks
August 14th, 2020
After 3 to 4 years of having my card. When I called I never understood the people that answered the phone and most of them didn't know what they was doing... I cancelled all my cards and will Never used this card again... Be careful with them because they CROOKS
Hi,

We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your services. We'd like to speak with you to get more information about the issue you had. Please email us at social@nestpend.com.

Netspend

Hello Erin, We can look into what happened with your account. Please email us at social@netspend.com for assistance. Thank you, Netspend

See more answers (2)

Hi Lessie, We understand how frustrating it can be to experience unauthorized charges on your account. NetSpend is very committed to providing a safe and secure product. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will be happy to look into this. Thank you, NetSpend

See more answers (2)

Hi Jason, We are sorry to hear that you had trouble activating your card. Please email us at socail@netspend.com and we will be happy to assist you with this. Thank you, Netspend

By Travis V., Response Team Supv.

Hi Roger, We do manage the Western Union Prepaid MasterCard. This product allows you to send and receive Western Union Transfers. We also offer services such as Mobile Check Loads and Anytime Alerts. For more information, please visit https://www.wunetspendprepaid.com/how-it-works.shtml. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

By Travis V., Response Team Supv.

Hi Emily, We are happy to hear that you won your dispute! If you are still waiting, please email us at social@netspend.com and we will be glad to help. Thank you, NetSpend

By Travis V., Response Team Supv.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the NetSpend staff and other customers.

NetSpend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid cards and related financial services in the United States. We serve the estimated 68 million underbanked consumers who do not have a traditional bank account or who rely on alternative financial services. Our mission is to provide products and services that empower consumers with the convenience, security and freedom to be self-banked.

Since 1999, our products have helped more than 10 million consumers to make purchases, pay bills and manage their money without the need for a checking account or credit history.

Through our nationwide network of more than 70,000 distribution locations and 130,000 reload points, consumers can buy and reload NetSpend Prepaid Cards at neighborhood retailers, check cashers, convenience stores, grocers, pharmacies, insurance providers and tax preparers nationwide. In addition, our direct distribution channel reaches consumers beyond our store-based distributors. NetSpend is also a leading provider of corporate payroll card solutions that help employers offer all employees a direct deposit option and eliminate expenses associated with paper checks for employees and employers alike

Travis V.
Response Team Supv.
Typically responds within 2 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetSpend?

Have a question about NetSpend?