Glassdoor

Glassdoor has a consumer rating of 1.33 stars from 219 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Glassdoor also ranks 103rd among Job Search sites. The most common issues with Glassdoor are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Glassdoor allows bogus and fake reviews to be posted to their site about companies.
  • They "encourage" their employees to write positive reviews of the company...whatever that means :)
How would you rate Glassdoor?

“At least of Value for the jobseeker”

Red W.
2/28/18

It has been helpful in several ways: primarily the reviews from employees working at various companies, although some have been written obviously by management to counter terribly negative reviews; also, the pay estimates, although they are only estimates and should not be used to base an answer to a query of what salary you are looking to receive; and some of the job offerings.

“Destroyer of Businesses”

AMALIA S.
5/18/20

Glassdoor states that they only allow 1 review a year per person. What a bunch of lies, I know for a fact someone who writes a bad review every couple of weeks, same person, disgruntled employee angry for being fired. Glassdoor will not do anything about it. They will if you pay them money to service your company.

reviews (131) company (131) community guidelines (11) companies (56) employees (67) business model (6) post reviews (4) community team (5) job offer (7) employer (53) email address (4) sales pitch (3)
amalias6
May 18th, 2020
br240
May 19th, 2020
Charlee Colwell is the manager of Glassdoor's Content and Community Team. Charlee has been rude and difficult to work with.

I spent a year at a low-level startup company that treated their employees poorly. When I switched jobs I went to add a review on Glassdoor. I left a very fair and polite review, but Glassdoor took it down and has refused to give me a straightforward reason why. I reached out via email to figure out the problem and was forwarded to Charlee, who could not care less. Charlee is now ignoring my emails and refusing to put my review back up. Once again, my review was extremely polite and in my opinion, too fair to the company.

Glassdoor can't be counted on or trusted with reviews if they are being biased on their selection of what is being posted.
masamunec
March 25th, 2019
Like a barter system--you want something, you must give something. You cannot read any employer review unless you create an account. Immediately, it asks you to rate your own company and rate an interview. I guess that's how they build up data so quickly.
markr1153
March 31st, 2020
Glassdoor does not reply to employer flagged reviews. I flagged, emailed and called. I only got action when I received an email thanking me for a call and they were glad we spoke and they could help--the call never happened and no one was spoken with! When I finally got a live person after over 5 weeks of trying it was the wrong department I was sent to --and they conveyed the issue to someone who denied the request without even looking at the defamatory comments and just spouting their guidelines policy. We may have to now take legal action. Thankfully no one has read the review in over 30 days. Other review sites much more helpful and willing to listen to employer complaints. Mind you we are not perfect and we will certainly accept truthful negative reviews from ex-employees, current employees or customers. The key is telling the truth. We do respond to positive and negative reviews to the extent we can but false statements should invalidate the review and be taken down.
debrag301
April 19th, 2020
Glassdoor is a terrible website. The website is very slow, incorrect information is posted all of the time in regards to job employment. It is an obsolete website and not worth your time.
redw12
February 28th, 2018
shawnr45
January 7th, 2018
This website should not be Legal. They REMOVED the positive reviews (and of course kept the few negative reviews) from our company after we refused their blackmail (selling us the way we profile our company). We are a small tech company that used family money to start a business and being blackmailed by glassdoor is unfair, unethical and vomiting. How can any HONEST human work for a criminal company like this !
mickj25
October 5th, 2019
I have faced a similar situation and not once but several times I see my reviews up and then they vanish all of a sudden.

When I login to my account to see if I could edit the review it shows that it's removed with no option to edit. These were all legitimate reviews . Appears the company gets big MOOLAH from corporates to clean up their Mess. Glassdoor definitely doesn't live upto it's commitment or expectation as is a Scam.
rajeshk94
December 30th, 2019
Glassdoor publishes reviews of so called employees without any proof.
How any site can publish review about any company without understanding both sides?
This is just a fake and cheap $#*!,
cherm8
April 13th, 2018
Usually in the ballpark of what to expect salary wise. When looking for a job, salary info may help you decide if you want to apply
jimp368
November 19th, 2019
The reviews on this site are mostly disgruntled employees who are often fired for good reasons and fake reviews posted by companies trying to boost their rating. Glassdoor makes it difficult enough to post a review that the only people who will do so are highly motivated -- either because they were incentivized by their company to post a good review or because they want to retaliate against their company for firing them. A normal person wouldn't have the time to jump through the hoops.

They offer paid services to combat company's negative reviews. It's basically an extortion racket.
annd51
December 3rd, 2015
Wow I wonder how long these guys are going to stay in business?!?!! No fact checking - Allowing any disgruntled employee, vendor, boyfriend/ girlfriend, neighbour etc... basically anyone can write anything, no matter how slanderous and false, thus rendering the site useless. Negative reviews are one thing and expected from people who are fired. But making personal attacks and very serious false accusations? I don't even know if it's legal to publicly post such slanderous things! Yikes!!
yamenk
July 18th, 2019
I used to post what I consider the truth without shaming anyone by name. Now, the site keeps forcing ridiculous policy decisions on the reviewers like you can't even mention titles of the persons who interviewed you i.e. (PM, DM , DC...etc).

Noticed this recently every time they update their rubbish policy. Obviously, the company CEO is afraid of his own people in the first place posting bad reviews about them.
anner172
October 29th, 2019
Do a job search like I did. The results displays a number at the top showing how many jobs are listed. The search number displays 1898 new jobs listed within 24 hrs. I went through and counted each one individually and there are only 102 jobs in the listing. Your app can't count?
Plus most of these jobs are posted again every day. They are not new. And most of them are not categorized correctly. Probably only a few new jobs if that.
Just like the other job app sites. They are in it to fool you and make money. There are hardly any real jobs out there. Don't feel bad about not being contacted.
cassig
July 20th, 2019
Like others, I have had all of my reviews removed from Glassdoor with no explanation. All of them were real, all could be verified with documentation. When I've written to Glassdoor to explain this, I get canned answers back from what appears to be a fake person, and my posts won't get reinstated. I truly believe that they are paid off by the companies being written about. As a corporate recruiter, I now tell candidates not to trust their reviews.
jeremyv11
March 19th, 2018
really, both of these sites use the same business model in that they work on your site's reputation and credibility. but glassdoor frames itself as a recruitment and hiring platform and has better interface overall, that's why it ranks higher on most SEO pages for businsses over sitejabber.
professionale2
June 13th, 2019
I have written reviews regarding a company that I had worked at prior and Glaassdoir keeps deleting all the real honest truthful comments including my reviews submitted and were approved by Glassdoor.... and I agree with the majority of comments from viewers including myself: Glassdoor makes every company appear as though it's the best place to work even though We all know there any many horrible awful companies that have revolving doors because they mistreat a majority of employees no matter.
bk136
September 12th, 2019
I created a new email address and used it at Glassdoor, nowhere else. Several weeks later my inbox was littered with spam from a site called 7 cups. They're either selling your info or don't care about securing data.
isajob
June 17th, 2016
Surprisingly useful. I have many years of work experience, and am new to this state. Glassdoor replaces what I would have found out from my network in my home town. Company's rating, interviews, salary, all the critically important stuff. I would not think of accepting a job offer without checking out Glassdoor. Of course, one must "read through the lines", since there will be some disgruntled employees, and some "glowing write-ups" not inline with most people's assessment. But overall, it very good.

Tip for consumers: If a company has few reviews, take the info with a grain of salt, specially those reviews with 5 stars or one star. Otherwise, it's quite good.

nicolew145
January 17th, 2018
We have found the same issue as all of these other reviewers. This company just allow anyone to post reviews, no validation. As a business with a hard working team, we are subject to commercial law and behave accordingly - yet websites likes this allow anyone to make up reviews and then try and get you to pay money to them to resolve! This should not and cannot be legal.
nicholask10
May 6th, 2015
I used their data to link together my study on human behavior and the effect of economics. The comments really helped me to form a greater picture on Job Satisfaction and Economics. Glassdoor really helps employees to shout out some great suggestions!
belindas37
June 3rd, 2018
As a company owner, we take our reputation very seriously and want to hear constructive feedback to improve where we can. Glassdoor provides anonymity to anyone (without verification) to post hate filled, personal vendettas that are neither constructive nor true, complete, accurate or insightful - in many cases. It is not a platform that improves employee- employer relationships, but one that tarnishes it.
tji2
January 25th, 2019
This is most definitely the place for employees that are terminated or leave on bad terms to write fake reviews especially when they aren't really verified. We let an employee go and immediately following, that same employee posts that people should stay away from our company and that we have many lawsuits against us and we have none lol. Glassdoor refuse to remove the comment stating that "it is within our guidelines and will remain". Any one can post something and it is awful! In the past, I used to look up companies on glassdoor to see their reviews but I will no longer use them as a trustworthy source to find out more about the company.
mikab11
May 18th, 2018
Glassdoor charged me for a service I did not use and their phone operators are in another country. I could not understand the person at all and he could not transfer me to anyone that could help. DO NOT use their job posting services. Almost no one clicked on any of our postings and no applicants either. Very little traffic compared to other sites. The worst part is their lack of customer service. I will never use them again.
robertv64
April 28th, 2017
Glassdoor provides a platform for misinformation and justifies it by labeling "opinions" and claiming "neutrality". . Then Glassdoor wants the employer who has been damaged by these falsehoods, to pay to advertise on their site. Really?
In the era of fake news, Glassdoor you need to do a better job of identifying what is fact and vs a falsehood. Learn a lesson from Facebook. No action is an action Glassdoor

Data Mining... Pirates.

See more answers (2)

That's the core of their business model... Otherwise the only demand they garner is from recruiters. This is why they have not gone public.

By Jerry D.
See more answers (2)

When a company gets negative reviews, glassdoor contacts them and uses the negative review as leverage to get the company to sign up for a subscription with glassdoor. They pretty much tell the company that if they take out a subscription the bad reviews will be removed

By Mike j.

Data collection and subsequent sales of... Your Contacts and Email addresses (Even addresses from received emails!)

By Kenneth P.

They are primarily a data collecting org. building and selling databases for online marketing and probably collecting fees for any placements generated too. Either way, they make money selling us...where's our cut?

By Kenneth P.

Glassdoor is free for job searchers but is a paid service for companies.

By Sam B.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Glassdoor staff and other customers.

Search millions of jobs and get the inside scoop on companies with employee reviews, personalized salary tools, and more. Hiring? Post a job for free.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Glassdoor?

Have a question about Glassdoor?