Review of Expedia.ca

eliteplus@expedia.ca

kavehn
1/24/19

Goods:
Website is easy to use and does provide some competitive pricing
Customer service gets the call within 2 minutes so no wait time there for stating the issue

Bads:
I wanted to book a flight and use my credit from a cancelled fight. Took about 2 hours to accomplish that. Customer service representatives constantly put you on hold to 'verify'. Seem like they are not knowledgeable and this was with all 3 of them whom I spoke to. Charged my credit card twice. Had to call them back to sort that out for almost an hour.

Conclusion:
if you are simply browsing for price comparison or in an urgent need to buy a ticket maybe. But, in case you need to make changes or cancellations you will have a very unpleasant experience.

miked562
1/16/19

Expedia, where to start. If you are trying to modify or cancel a trip then you need to wait on hold while the expedia representative talks with the airlines or otherwise. They say that this is for security reasons, or whatever, which means you might find yourself in a hotel lobby waiting on hold with expedia while they try to call the same hotel lobby. You might find yourself looking the person in the eye who expedia should be calling, but their phone sits idle on the lobby desk. In the end you just end up paying for a hotel you don't use. Such is the story of my co-worker retold after telling him mine. Now my story is similar. My wife and I booked a trip to Cuba and then found out she was pregnant. Health Canada advises against travel to Cuba because of the risk of birth defects from the mosquito borne zika virus. I cannot call Air Canada directly, the tour provider, but need to call Expedia. But when I call expedia I end up on hold for countless hours. It is now 12:00PM. I am on hold. Again. I started my attempt to cancel the trip at 8:30AM and am still on the same phone call. This is the third day in a row of trying to cancel the trip and obtain a partial refund.

johna1177
1/7/19

STAY AWAY STAY AWAY...This people are a bunch of thieves.. tell you one thing and do the other they don't care about you they just want to make money ..hell i like to make money but i dont tell my costumers one thing and do the other ..their people in canada expedia will laugh on your face or hang up on you...heey EXPEDIA CANADA thanks for STEALING MY HONEST CASH

munishs3
10/26/18

Poor Customer Service,and unreliable with credit card information- Should make you run away from them. I booked hotel with them for 5 nights with my canadian credit card and on expedia.ca and the hotel is in canada and the price shown is in CAD. But guess what, They charge the credit card in USD and I get dinged by 85CAD. Because the exchange rate that they used was crazy by any means and obviously the creedit card charges 2.5% on top for foreign exchange transaction. I called their customer support and the poor guy there ran back to helpdesk 3 times and all they could tell me was that they are sorry those were the exchange rates that day (0.795 USD/CAD) on Oct 22nd. I don't know where they get that data from but it is probably a month out or more. They were just lying. So the solution was to cancel the reservation and rebook. I agreed but now I have to pay the new price for the hotel. Funny enough there was not much difference but why should I pay for their mistake? Customer support guy calls the supervisor who refused to come on the phone and pretty much told him that ask this customer to F off :)) I don't have time for this. To summarize - I don't trust them with my credit card. I don't trust their customer service and they don't give a $#*! about their customers either. Reservation is cancelled, I will book elsewhere - there are plenty of vendors available. Too bad i cannot delete my account with them, but definitely never using their service ever again.

nazk2
8/15/18

As long as everything is in place, it doesn't really matter which agency you book your trip with. It only comes down to pricing. Yet, that one time that you are in trouble, you will need real customer service, and that is what Expedia doesn't offer.
During a recent trip to middle east, we used the website to book a two week trip. Little did we know that there were two hotels with the same name and same rating in the same city. Upon our arrival we realized that we had made the booking to wrong hotel. We contacted Expedia right away and asked to help us move our booking to the right hotel. We expected to pay reasonable penalty for this change. Yet, Expedia didn't provide any support. After numerous calls and waits, we ended up paying for the entire two weeks at the hotel that we never even set our feet in. It was a true rip off. Stay away from Expedia. On the day of disaster, there is zero support from this organization.

jeffs536
7/22/18

My wife and I paid Expedia the full double-occupancy rate for an "all inclusive" trip to Mexico. When we arrived we discovered that we did not have our own room. I had to pay the hotel (again) so we would have a room, and assumed the issue would be easy to fix when we returned (I already paid Expedia... That's what "all inclusive means"; but NOPE! After a month of emails and hours on the phone, Expedia refuses to accept any responsibility. After doing more research, this seems to be their MO. Take money then ignore the customer until they give up. I can't believe how they stay in business????

renatov1
7/20/18

Booked a car with expedia.ca and was directed to the most worse car rental company called ACE Car Rental (Verve Car Rental) in Las Vegas I ever experienced. The actual price paid has been doubled due to extra charges & fees and that Liability Insurance that you actually do not need because you are already covered by your personal car insurance plus your credit card insurance too. Expedia should not be having business with this car rental company probably run by scammers. You will have to take 2 shuttle bus before reaching their office in the street mall and you will wait more than an hour standing under a small waiting shed outside on a July Las Vegas warm days for the 2nd shuttle bus to arrive while other rental company shuttle bus has already picked their customers twice. When you finally arrived at their office you will see a long line up of frustrated customers and again wait for another hour to get the car that has no license plate no. and with less than a full tank. The counter lady was rude because she will not give you the car unless you pay that stupid Liability Insurance and fees that you do not need for an extra $15/day. I will never booked with expedia in the future.

andreap159
6/24/18

Booked hotel stay in Gravenhurst Ont. 3 weeks in advance just to make sure we got a room. In the meantime I received a "price alert" from expedia for same hotel, same room, same dates $40.00 cheaper. I filled out submission form as directed with all the info they requested 3 times! because each time there was something "not included" I was denied the "lowest price guarantee" each time. They do not honour the "lowest price guarantee" beware they are scammers.

loris367
6/19/18

The expedia canada agent (who i learned was based in Cairo) provided inaccurate advice and booked my trip based on that advice; the result was a missed flight and us having to purchase new air tickets altogether. On top of this what they said would happen in case of delays did not happen with the airline and the standards they refer to in terms of minimum time for connection dont even match the real standards for that airport or airline. Staff is very incompetent and unhelpful whenever you are facing a problem while travelling. Never again will use expedia.

laural315
6/16/18

After 2.5 hours on the phone with Expedia Customer service my issue is unresolved and I am incredibly frustrated.

I live with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have been gifted a healing retreat in Phoenix Arizona, I live in Toronto Canada. For the retreat I must arrive in Phoenix before noon on June 22nd, and depart after 1:00 pm on June 30th.

After searching many sites I found a round trip flight on Expedia which suited the times and my budget. I had to borrow the money for the flight and had the exact amount in my bank account. I filled out all the required fields and tried to pay with my debit mastercard. The flight could not be booked as there was an error. I tried again, multiple times.

After several tries I googled the number and called customer service at 12:38 am. The gentleman I spoke with said it was likely a security issue with the card and to call the bank. I phoned the bank and was informed there was no issue with the card or payment, that they could see authorizations from Expedia being approved but for $0. And advised I try after 4 am. Curious!!

I called Expedia back and was on the phone for more then an hour before the agent told me it was the U.S. number I had called. Two people took my info and looked at my account and no one thought to tell me until an hour later? I was transferred to the Canadian site and spoke with Mohammed. Mohammed told me there was nothing that could be done to help me as I hadn't called the Canadian number originally. I called the number Canadian Google gave me. He then said the price could not be honored because there was an issue with my card. I informed him again, that I had called the bank, the issue was not my card. He then said, the card had declined because the system was updating. Which seems sketchy to me, decline the card and raise the price $150.

I explained to Mohammed that I had tried the purchase many times and that it didn't seem ethical to decline my card and then raise the price $150. I asked to speak with a manager and got supervisor Noah. His tone left a lot to be desired when he couldn't answer my questions. He then offered me a hotel voucher. I don't need a hotel, nor will I in a year and that doesn't help me with the $150 extra dollars to get to my trauma treatment. He then said, well if you could book right now and you can't book right now.... And trying might put an extra hold on your card. I explained again that there was no hold on my card, I had called the bank. He claimed he didn't say that. When I repeated his exact words back to him he said, "I am sorry you understood that." This is quite a cavalier attitude for someone in customer service.

So now I have lost the flight at the price I could afford, I had only borrowed $579.70, the exact amount of the flight I was purchasing. I do not have $702.78, the new price to get to my trauma treatment. I originally called customer service at 12:38 am and got off the phone at 2:26 am with an unresolved issue, a bad taste in my mouth for the ethics of Expedia's business practices and rude customer service.

sunnys63
6/15/18

Never never again
I made a booking from delhi to Toronto but the agent on the phone made the wrong booking and struggled to change it talking to 4 different people and 5 hours of wait time making an international call

lolao6
6/8/18

I have been booking my trips with Expedia for the last 10 years at least. I fly and travel quite a bit. This time I booked a flight with condor airlines with Expedia. Im travelling with a baby and I was hoping to upgrade my seatjust upgrade. I called condor directly they keep referring me back to Expedia and Expedia keeps referring me back to condor. All I want is to spend more money on a premium seat and one week before my flight, I have not been able to do this. Its rediculous. I will never again book through Expedia. I will cancel my other reservations with them that I have pending. So disappointing.

janb58
6/3/18

I signed in to my Expedia account to book a hotel room for 1 night in Windsor Ontario. I chose a hotel and the advertised rate for the room was $70 Canadian. When I clicked to reserve it, all of the sudden the base rate of the room was $79.99. Taxes and fees were then added on to that bringing the cost of the room to over $90. I talked to Expedia,ca about it and they said it went to $79.99 because of taxes and fees but those were added later so this was not correct. I spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to get an answer to the question of why the rate went from $70 on one page to $79.99 on the next page. No answer was given. This is false advertising in my opinion and I will not use Expedia anymore.

johnb1546
5/10/18

Over the years likely gave Expedia.ca several hundreds of thousands of dollars of business. All went well until a booking in Bilbao was messed up by Expedia. Original booking was for five people (clear on paperwork from Expedia.ca) but was communicated as a booking for one to hotel. Arrived to a room for one and the hotel full. Sent to an inferior hotel in the suburbs and told there would be not charge. Wrong, arrived and had to pay more. Also incurred taxi fairs. When a refund was requested, Expedia was useless. Blamed the hotel, even though it was clearly Expedias error. Frustrating because one customer service agent is not assigned to the case. Had to ré-explain then details over and over again, answer the same questions Id answered before to a variety of agents. Eventually I gave up, coming to the conclusion that Expedia does not care about its customers, nor does it have any loyalty to its long term customers. This was proven by even their refusal to refund $100 worth of Expedia points used to pay for the original hotel. Lesson learned, will NEVER use Expedia again.

Tip for consumers: Don’t use it! If you do, confirm reservations directly with hotel, resort, airline, etc. In advance.

ellieg20
4/9/18

A cautionary tale: Expedia.ca DOES NOT provide protection, guarantees, nor any form of allegiance to their customers.

Expedia.ca used to stand behind the products they were selling - but now they are selling products which they have no control over, so we, as customers no longer have any protection. It is lamentable that Expedia will no longer defend our interests!

The customer service for Expedia.ca is handled out of Arizona, and all their agents struggle with English. When important issues are at hand that impact my time and money, I believe it's important to hire someone competent, and capable of defending my interests and finding a resolution.

One of my problems was an EasyJet booking that I booked through Expedia.ca. Apparently EasyJet does not recognize 3rd party bookings but there was no disclaimer to this effect by Expedia.ca. Although I paid extra for seat selection, Easy Jet will not allow me to select our seats because we booked through Expedia.ca. I believe Expedia should refund my flights to allow me to book directly through EasyJet, because they were sold to me on false pretexts. Of course, this did not happen. They told me to call Easy Jet customer service, but alas EasyJet does not have a North American presence nor a North American phone number. Finally, at my third request, and over 2 hours spent trying to find a resolution, Expedia.ca tried to call Easy Jet Europe on my behalf. They were shocked that the agency was closed. I guess they hadn't even realized that there was a time difference between Arizona and Europe. So my case hangs... not only will we not be able to select seats that I paid for, but we won't be allowed to do online check-in either. We will have to phone EasyJet to check in for our flights. This won't be an easy task to accomplish since we'll be travelling in Europe at the time, with no European phone plan. If I had known in advance I would never have booked through Expedia.ca

The second problem I encountered was with hotel booking. 60 seconds after submitting my booking, I realized there must have been 2 windows open and the wrong date went through. I picked up the phone and within 2 minutes I was speaking to an agent. Who told me there was nothing that could be done. They would need to contact the hotel for permission to change. And of course, the hotel was in Europe and they couldn't get through. I asked for a manager. The manager repeated the same story, then tried to call the hotel but was told that they would have to wait until the next day to speak to a manager. A cautionary tale: Expedia is the platform being used BUT DOES NOT provide protection, guarantees or any form of customer service.

The third problem I encountered was with reserving car rental which should only be charged upon pick up. As soon as I reserved, the car rental agency, Ace, immediately put a charge through on my credit card. Expedia didn't seem to be aware that this would happen. Again, there should be a disclaimer on their website, even though it's becoming tedious to keep track of all their new restrictive policies.

Another problem I had was the non-disclosure of an additional drop off charge for a car I picked up in Vancouver and dropped off 2 days later in Victoria. I was dinged with an additional $150 charge that had not been disclosed up front. Again, Expedia took no responsibility for that fact that the charge was undislosed ..and would not defend my interests.

In my opinion, they should not be dealing with shady companies, nor offering products without full disclosure of the extra charges, ommisions, limitations, or misleading claims. Their website has become more and more misleading. When reserving a hotel - pay very close attention to their misleading language, which is becoming more and more difficult to decipher. When they say FREE RESERVATION, or FREE CANCELLATION or NO BOOKING FEES they all mean very different things... Often, they will put the full payment through immediately, even though you might have understood that you didn't have to pay until you got to the hotel.

Lastly, it is infuriating the way the site stores information and browsing, only to use it against you when they hit you with the message YOUR PRICE HAS CHANGED when it comes time to book.

We, as customers, need to put pressure on Expedia.ca to be more transparent. They are duping us and we have little recourse.

Tip for consumers: They take advantage of your browsing history to hit you with higher prices when it comes time to book!

jf136
3/30/18

Expedia draws you in with advertised low prices - BUT prices advertised are not always what you're expected to pay. I booked two (2) rentals on the Expedia site and then (just because I had a nagging feeling) I called the actual Rental Company they were fronting for. The Rental company said they would NOT rent the car for the posted price. The price they quoted did not include Insurance. I explained that I had insurance on my Credit Card and that the website stated the Liability Insurance was included in the price. They looked up the confirmation number and said NO insurance was included in the price. The ACTUAL PRICE was DOUBLE what I was quoted on the site. Buyer Beware. I finally worked a deal with the Rental Car Company - NOT Through Expedia.

myrnac7
3/20/18

The hotel staff we called was quick to say that Expedia has had problems with other clients. Then why wouldn't the Hampton Inn stop dealing with Expedia. If I could give a rating from 1-5, I would give it a BIG FAT ZERO!!!

judyp58
2/15/18

A friend and I booked Extended Stay America Tampa Airport. We were both charged for the stay. They used my credit card as a booking on another Extended Stay hotel. Expedia would not refund.

barbs61
2/4/18

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PLEASE-I booked my first and last trip through Expedia today. I called the 1-800 number (Philippines call centre) because I thought it would prevent me from making any mistakes in the booking. It took 30 minutes to book the trip and 4 hours (along with various calls and speaking to 5 different people) to fix the mistake that the booking agent made (ie he entered the wrong name on one of the tickets, even though he spelled all the names out for me...how do you do that????). They re-booked our flights 3 times because they kept getting the names wrong (FYI-names aren't that difficult, and all last names were the same, but they kept getting 1/3 last names wrong??) During that time the flight price went up over $100 US dollars...they offered me a $25 coupon-they finally agreed to $100 coupon which still hasn't been emailed to me.
I called the airline to ensure that the booking information was correct because I was so doubtful after dealing with Expedia, and the airline said Expedia didn't book the seats on the plane and should have...I've just paid another $100 US to book the specific seats with the airline...I AM DUMBFOUNDED BY THE DISORGANIZATION, REPEATED MISTAKES AND EXTRA CHARGES I INCURRED DUE TO THEIR MISTAKE...after 7 hrs on my day off, and an extra $200US dollars, I think I actually have the tickets we want...I should have called American Airlines directly

sarahj249
1/11/18

Booking with expedia.ca makes no sense. You lose the ability to contact the airline or hotel if you need to make changes to your itinerary. When you call them, they will find some way to charge you even though they claim to not charge cancellation fees, etc...

tomc196
11/16/17

When i booked my room it was 1 queen size bed with a jacuzzi tub in the room. When i checked my reservation the day before it was changed to a queen size bed that is wheel chair accessible with absolutley no tub only a roll in shower. And alk they would do to help me is book me another room at almost another 100$ more then origional price. Not a happy camper

tatak
11/15/17

Expedia has cancelled my hotel reservation without notifying me or explaining the reason of it. Customer service did not resolve this issue and I still do not know what has happened. Untrustworthy.

wisama
10/10/17

Expedia.ca or Expedia.com although some time has great prices when it comes to service they are very bad. and their price guarantee policy is just fake. they find many excuses not to apply it to you, by the time to get them process your price match guarantee and decline your application, other websites prices go up. check trivago they compare prices, priceline is good and kayak

hubertj11
9/21/17

i work in expedia canada from Cairo,Egypt.

with my full respect, Sometimes it has very good packages and rates, but to be honest..
they dont give a $#*! about anything, they only care about getting money from custumers..
and i totally agree how unprofessional our costumer service and how non speaking english they are.
i actually my self dont understand anything from them.
basically Expedia makes her call center in egypt because we Egyptians dont take much money like other countries.
i can say as an agent i take maximumly 300 USD per month.
so dont expect to deal with a professional company.
and PS:
never use price guarantee option , they will make you pay the expensive rate without refunding you back.
and Good luck to everyone.
God bless us all from that type of services.

lorenzod22
9/2/17

Very bad experience dealing with expedia to book an all inclusive vacation. I will book directly with the vacation provider the next time. I never received a confirmation email once I booked... So when I submitted a request to be contacted by customer service for a problem involving ''vacations'' and ''itinerary'' I was contacted by one Stephen who told me he couldn't locate my reservation and was told to call sunquest directly. Upon doing so I was told that having booked with expedia they were to send the the documentation and itinerary... The individual at sunquest was gracious enough to provide the itinerary number which wasn't even her prerogative. Upon calling expedia at the number they had contacted me from which I presumed was the correct number to address a vacation package itinerary issue the gentleman namely Stephen accused me of not having booked with expedia, when clearly, I was dead sure I had. I provided him with countless bits of information which he couldn't use to locate my reservation, finally I did a conference call between a reluctant Stephen and Sunquest to sort out the matter... Finally the polite individual at Sunquest explained that since the package was booked on expedia it was their responsibility to provide the itinerary and necessary documents... Stephen attempted to brush me off by giving me the number to call and I requested for him to warm transfer me over to the right department... After 15 minutes on hold, I was cold transferred to one Ray from the EXPEDIA TD VISA REWARDS DEPARTMENT........................ At the very least Ray stayed on the line with me and transferred me to the right place where one Allison accused me of not dialing the right number and not reaching the right department and not having a reservation code......... Being frustrated as one can imagine I explained for the 6th time that I never received a confirmation email with the booking code and therefore was unable to provide this confirmation code when I requested that the VACATIONS department contact ME for a question concerning my ITINERARY. Furthermore Allison told me she was unable to compensate me for my time and stress after over 5h of back and forth calling between expedia departments and sunquest vacations... She finally sent me my itinerary with my documents after being on the phone from 7:20 till 11:40 am less than 18 hours before my flight... I asked to be transferred to her manager and asked for her to explain my situation to her... When I was transferred I asked one Evelyn if Allison had provided her a brief synopsis of my frustration... She answered yes, Allison told me you called the wrong department.......................................... I was livid, not only are expedia employees not equipped to handle a simple customer request they belittle and take their customers for a fool... Once again I explained to Evelyn that upon making a vacation itinerary request from customer service on expedia.ca I was contacted FROM EXPEDIA concerning my issue... I was told TWICE to call the vacation provider being accused of NOT BOOKING WITH EXPEDIA... Finally when performing a conference call with Sunquest and Expedia I was transferred to TD REWARDS VISA EXPEDIA VACATIONS before FINALLY being transferred to the right department being accused of not proving the right information and not being able to select the right department from the call number............................................................ The manager Evelyn didn't seem to understand my frustration of over 5h of arguing on the phone retelling my situation to over 6 people and being accused of not booking with expedia when clearly my credit card was charged and I never received a confirmation email. Finally when I asked what could be done for compensation Evelyn had the nerve to ask why I deserved compensation......... Expedia customer service does not value the well being of their customers. I was offered a 25$ voucher for expedia, I told her it wasn't enough and she launched an investigation to see what other compensation might be considered... I have lost confidence in expedia, I was taken for a fool by most staff members... The only competent employees I spoke to were the two from Sunquest and Ray from TD VISA EXPEDIA VACATIONS who wasn't even from the same departments............. Very sad experience with expedia... I am only glad I received my itinerary and documents and will not have to deal with them in the future... I booked with expedia to receive the expedia points but I would have booked and will book directly with Sunquest in the future to avoid being hassled, belittled, and accused of being dense from expedia customer service.

A company with a name that knows how to take the little man money

By John A.

I was totally screwed by expedia and they wasted probably 20 hours of my life - anyone feel me!??

By Jennifer S.

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia.ca staff and other customers.

Expedia.ca?