Review of Expedia.ca

Tel: +1-613-780-1386
eliteplus@expedia.ca

krystind1
5/13/19

Mother had to cancel trip due to medical reasons... Cost her 200$ even with doctors note.. That was fine. She tried to transfer her remaing monies to family member so they could use it... Wasn't allowed due to their "policy" she asked for a refund... Nope. A waste of $1000

blakea25
4/6/19

Booked flights on the wrong days. My bad. Attempted to make changes, flight down was non refundable and a total loss. Flight back I was told was refundable worth 469$ when I went to cancel it I was told I could only get an Air Canada voucher. Ok. Then i was told the Air Canada voucher was only good for flights in the US even though I live in Canada. Ok. Decided to use the voucher for another flight through Air Canada from the US on the day previous for 325$. I was told that I would have to pay another 130$ out of pocket. I asked what about the 144$ difference in flight costs and they said that would be forfeited. So rather then re sell my more expensive flight on sunday and give me the cheaper flight on saturday they want another 130$ of my money for a total of 550$ for a flight anyone could buy off the street for 325$. Way to treat your customer. Would never book again. Use Onetravel.com or pretty much anyone else have had way better experiences.

robertb1449
4/4/19

On April 4th/2019 at 11:30 pm I went to book a hotel for April 6th/2019 in Spokane. Did that on the first page and on the second page it asked me to reserve. So on the first page it asked for the dates...so I punched in the date for April 6th/2019. I filled in all the information on the second page, including my Credit card info and reserved the room not realizing that the dates on the second page went back to April 4th/2019. First off, who books a room on the same day at 11:30 pm unless you're actually at the hotel? Nobody, but they took my money. And when I realized the mistake, it was like pulling teeth to get it refunded and the refund takes up to 10 days because it's a Visa! I don't know about most people but I just can't pull $130 out of my ass everyday to stay at a hotel for a night. So now I'm scrambling to get money on my card again to book a hotel for the right night...unbelievable! Never ever will I use that site again! Oh, and the $50 voucher they offered me for their website incompetence isn't any good unless I book that same night. Sorry no money to book because you took it

jamier167
3/29/19

I was called by Expedia due to flight changes on my itinerary, I called and was on hold off and on for 2 hours to get things figured out - everything got figured out and went on my way.

2 days later I get an email stating 2 of my flights have been cancelled to get me from Vancouver to China and then China to Thailand, they never called just simply cancelled it off my itinerary. I called them to see what was going on and they let me know they had no indication of those flights ever existing.. so finally 3 hours later I just end up asking for my money back on all my flights after they found the original receipt, they never sent me a confirmation of refund so once again called back today to be told I will not be refunded for 6 to 8 weeks which is when my honeymoon starts. They completely screwed me over and didn't even try to come up with any sort of solution when I initially called.

Its honestly not worth dealing with big corporations like this as they really could not possibly care less and the customer service is absolute garbage!!!!

umairk11
3/21/19

I bought a ticket on Expedia for TD from Accra, Ghana To London, UK On TAP Air, About 2 months before flight I receive an email from Expedia about schedule change, I think whenever airline change schedule they are allow you to cancel the booking for free. Expedia send out an email to TAP about a refund but never get any response back from them even after 15 days.
Another problem when I ask them to proceed with a refund they claim you would not get any because actual fare is only $60 and airline cancellation penalty is US$150, But I paid CAD$398 in total I bought many tickets in life I always get refund on the basis of full price minus penalty never ever get a refund on the basis of fare only, usually fare is less then taxes and fees if this is the case non one ever get a refund back. I hope Expedia will look in to this matter soon.

kavehn
1/24/19

Goods:
Website is easy to use and does provide some competitive pricing
Customer service gets the call within 2 minutes so no wait time there for stating the issue

Bads:
I wanted to book a flight and use my credit from a cancelled fight. Took about 2 hours to accomplish that. Customer service representatives constantly put you on hold to 'verify'. Seem like they are not knowledgeable and this was with all 3 of them whom I spoke to. Charged my credit card twice. Had to call them back to sort that out for almost an hour.

Conclusion:
if you are simply browsing for price comparison or in an urgent need to buy a ticket maybe. But, in case you need to make changes or cancellations you will have a very unpleasant experience.

miked562
1/16/19

Expedia, where to start. If you are trying to modify or cancel a trip then you need to wait on hold while the expedia representative talks with the airlines or otherwise. They say that this is for security reasons, or whatever, which means you might find yourself in a hotel lobby waiting on hold with expedia while they try to call the same hotel lobby. You might find yourself looking the person in the eye who expedia should be calling, but their phone sits idle on the lobby desk. In the end you just end up paying for a hotel you don't use. Such is the story of my co-worker retold after telling him mine. Now my story is similar. My wife and I booked a trip to Cuba and then found out she was pregnant. Health Canada advises against travel to Cuba because of the risk of birth defects from the mosquito borne zika virus. I cannot call Air Canada directly, the tour provider, but need to call Expedia. But when I call expedia I end up on hold for countless hours. It is now 12:00PM. I am on hold. Again. I started my attempt to cancel the trip at 8:30AM and am still on the same phone call. This is the third day in a row of trying to cancel the trip and obtain a partial refund.

johna1177
1/7/19

STAY AWAY STAY AWAY...This people are a bunch of thieves.. tell you one thing and do the other they don't care about you they just want to make money ..hell i like to make money but i dont tell my costumers one thing and do the other ..their people in canada expedia will laugh on your face or hang up on you...heey EXPEDIA CANADA thanks for STEALING MY HONEST CASH

munishs3
10/26/18

Poor Customer Service,and unreliable with credit card information- Should make you run away from them. I booked hotel with them for 5 nights with my canadian credit card and on expedia.ca and the hotel is in canada and the price shown is in CAD. But guess what, They charge the credit card in USD and I get dinged by 85CAD. Because the exchange rate that they used was crazy by any means and obviously the creedit card charges 2.5% on top for foreign exchange transaction. I called their customer support and the poor guy there ran back to helpdesk 3 times and all they could tell me was that they are sorry those were the exchange rates that day (0.795 USD/CAD) on Oct 22nd. I don't know where they get that data from but it is probably a month out or more. They were just lying. So the solution was to cancel the reservation and rebook. I agreed but now I have to pay the new price for the hotel. Funny enough there was not much difference but why should I pay for their mistake? Customer support guy calls the supervisor who refused to come on the phone and pretty much told him that ask this customer to F off :)) I don't have time for this. To summarize - I don't trust them with my credit card. I don't trust their customer service and they don't give a $#*! about their customers either. Reservation is cancelled, I will book elsewhere - there are plenty of vendors available. Too bad i cannot delete my account with them, but definitely never using their service ever again.

nazk2
8/15/18

As long as everything is in place, it doesn't really matter which agency you book your trip with. It only comes down to pricing. Yet, that one time that you are in trouble, you will need real customer service, and that is what Expedia doesn't offer.
During a recent trip to middle east, we used the website to book a two week trip. Little did we know that there were two hotels with the same name and same rating in the same city. Upon our arrival we realized that we had made the booking to wrong hotel. We contacted Expedia right away and asked to help us move our booking to the right hotel. We expected to pay reasonable penalty for this change. Yet, Expedia didn't provide any support. After numerous calls and waits, we ended up paying for the entire two weeks at the hotel that we never even set our feet in. It was a true rip off. Stay away from Expedia. On the day of disaster, there is zero support from this organization.

jeffs536
7/22/18

My wife and I paid Expedia the full double-occupancy rate for an "all inclusive" trip to Mexico. When we arrived we discovered that we did not have our own room. I had to pay the hotel (again) so we would have a room, and assumed the issue would be easy to fix when we returned (I already paid Expedia... That's what "all inclusive means"; but NOPE! After a month of emails and hours on the phone, Expedia refuses to accept any responsibility. After doing more research, this seems to be their MO. Take money then ignore the customer until they give up. I can't believe how they stay in business????

renatov1
7/20/18

Booked a car with expedia.ca and was directed to the most worse car rental company called ACE Car Rental (Verve Car Rental) in Las Vegas I ever experienced. The actual price paid has been doubled due to extra charges & fees and that Liability Insurance that you actually do not need because you are already covered by your personal car insurance plus your credit card insurance too. Expedia should not be having business with this car rental company probably run by scammers. You will have to take 2 shuttle bus before reaching their office in the street mall and you will wait more than an hour standing under a small waiting shed outside on a July Las Vegas warm days for the 2nd shuttle bus to arrive while other rental company shuttle bus has already picked their customers twice. When you finally arrived at their office you will see a long line up of frustrated customers and again wait for another hour to get the car that has no license plate no. and with less than a full tank. The counter lady was rude because she will not give you the car unless you pay that stupid Liability Insurance and fees that you do not need for an extra $15/day. I will never booked with expedia in the future.

andreap159
6/24/18

Booked hotel stay in Gravenhurst Ont. 3 weeks in advance just to make sure we got a room. In the meantime I received a "price alert" from expedia for same hotel, same room, same dates $40.00 cheaper. I filled out submission form as directed with all the info they requested 3 times! because each time there was something "not included" I was denied the "lowest price guarantee" each time. They do not honour the "lowest price guarantee" beware they are scammers.

loris367
6/19/18

The expedia canada agent (who i learned was based in Cairo) provided inaccurate advice and booked my trip based on that advice; the result was a missed flight and us having to purchase new air tickets altogether. On top of this what they said would happen in case of delays did not happen with the airline and the standards they refer to in terms of minimum time for connection dont even match the real standards for that airport or airline. Staff is very incompetent and unhelpful whenever you are facing a problem while travelling. Never again will use expedia.

laural315
6/16/18

After 2.5 hours on the phone with Expedia Customer service my issue is unresolved and I am incredibly frustrated.

I live with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have been gifted a healing retreat in Phoenix Arizona, I live in Toronto Canada. For the retreat I must arrive in Phoenix before noon on June 22nd, and depart after 1:00 pm on June 30th.

After searching many sites I found a round trip flight on Expedia which suited the times and my budget. I had to borrow the money for the flight and had the exact amount in my bank account. I filled out all the required fields and tried to pay with my debit mastercard. The flight could not be booked as there was an error. I tried again, multiple times.

After several tries I googled the number and called customer service at 12:38 am. The gentleman I spoke with said it was likely a security issue with the card and to call the bank. I phoned the bank and was informed there was no issue with the card or payment, that they could see authorizations from Expedia being approved but for $0. And advised I try after 4 am. Curious!!

I called Expedia back and was on the phone for more then an hour before the agent told me it was the U.S. number I had called. Two people took my info and looked at my account and no one thought to tell me until an hour later? I was transferred to the Canadian site and spoke with Mohammed. Mohammed told me there was nothing that could be done to help me as I hadn't called the Canadian number originally. I called the number Canadian Google gave me. He then said the price could not be honored because there was an issue with my card. I informed him again, that I had called the bank, the issue was not my card. He then said, the card had declined because the system was updating. Which seems sketchy to me, decline the card and raise the price $150.

I explained to Mohammed that I had tried the purchase many times and that it didn't seem ethical to decline my card and then raise the price $150. I asked to speak with a manager and got supervisor Noah. His tone left a lot to be desired when he couldn't answer my questions. He then offered me a hotel voucher. I don't need a hotel, nor will I in a year and that doesn't help me with the $150 extra dollars to get to my trauma treatment. He then said, well if you could book right now and you can't book right now.... And trying might put an extra hold on your card. I explained again that there was no hold on my card, I had called the bank. He claimed he didn't say that. When I repeated his exact words back to him he said, "I am sorry you understood that." This is quite a cavalier attitude for someone in customer service.

So now I have lost the flight at the price I could afford, I had only borrowed $579.70, the exact amount of the flight I was purchasing. I do not have $702.78, the new price to get to my trauma treatment. I originally called customer service at 12:38 am and got off the phone at 2:26 am with an unresolved issue, a bad taste in my mouth for the ethics of Expedia's business practices and rude customer service.

sunnys63
6/15/18

Never never again
I made a booking from delhi to Toronto but the agent on the phone made the wrong booking and struggled to change it talking to 4 different people and 5 hours of wait time making an international call

lolao6
6/8/18

I have been booking my trips with Expedia for the last 10 years at least. I fly and travel quite a bit. This time I booked a flight with condor airlines with Expedia. Im travelling with a baby and I was hoping to upgrade my seatjust upgrade. I called condor directly they keep referring me back to Expedia and Expedia keeps referring me back to condor. All I want is to spend more money on a premium seat and one week before my flight, I have not been able to do this. Its rediculous. I will never again book through Expedia. I will cancel my other reservations with them that I have pending. So disappointing.

janb58
6/3/18

I signed in to my Expedia account to book a hotel room for 1 night in Windsor Ontario. I chose a hotel and the advertised rate for the room was $70 Canadian. When I clicked to reserve it, all of the sudden the base rate of the room was $79.99. Taxes and fees were then added on to that bringing the cost of the room to over $90. I talked to Expedia,ca about it and they said it went to $79.99 because of taxes and fees but those were added later so this was not correct. I spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to get an answer to the question of why the rate went from $70 on one page to $79.99 on the next page. No answer was given. This is false advertising in my opinion and I will not use Expedia anymore.

johnb1546
5/10/18

Over the years likely gave Expedia.ca several hundreds of thousands of dollars of business. All went well until a booking in Bilbao was messed up by Expedia. Original booking was for five people (clear on paperwork from Expedia.ca) but was communicated as a booking for one to hotel. Arrived to a room for one and the hotel full. Sent to an inferior hotel in the suburbs and told there would be not charge. Wrong, arrived and had to pay more. Also incurred taxi fairs. When a refund was requested, Expedia was useless. Blamed the hotel, even though it was clearly Expedias error. Frustrating because one customer service agent is not assigned to the case. Had to ré-explain then details over and over again, answer the same questions Id answered before to a variety of agents. Eventually I gave up, coming to the conclusion that Expedia does not care about its customers, nor does it have any loyalty to its long term customers. This was proven by even their refusal to refund $100 worth of Expedia points used to pay for the original hotel. Lesson learned, will NEVER use Expedia again.

Tip for consumers: Don’t use it! If you do, confirm reservations directly with hotel, resort, airline, etc. In advance.

ellieg20
4/9/18

A cautionary tale: Expedia.ca DOES NOT provide protection, guarantees, nor any form of allegiance to their customers.

Expedia.ca used to stand behind the products they were selling - but now they are selling products which they have no control over, so we, as customers no longer have any protection. It is lamentable that Expedia will no longer defend our interests!

The customer service for Expedia.ca is handled out of Arizona, and all their agents struggle with English. When important issues are at hand that impact my time and money, I believe it's important to hire someone competent, and capable of defending my interests and finding a resolution.

One of my problems was an EasyJet booking that I booked through Expedia.ca. Apparently EasyJet does not recognize 3rd party bookings but there was no disclaimer to this effect by Expedia.ca. Although I paid extra for seat selection, Easy Jet will not allow me to select our seats because we booked through Expedia.ca. I believe Expedia should refund my flights to allow me to book directly through EasyJet, because they were sold to me on false pretexts. Of course, this did not happen. They told me to call Easy Jet customer service, but alas EasyJet does not have a North American presence nor a North American phone number. Finally, at my third request, and over 2 hours spent trying to find a resolution, Expedia.ca tried to call Easy Jet Europe on my behalf. They were shocked that the agency was closed. I guess they hadn't even realized that there was a time difference between Arizona and Europe. So my case hangs... not only will we not be able to select seats that I paid for, but we won't be allowed to do online check-in either. We will have to phone EasyJet to check in for our flights. This won't be an easy task to accomplish since we'll be travelling in Europe at the time, with no European phone plan. If I had known in advance I would never have booked through Expedia.ca

The second problem I encountered was with hotel booking. 60 seconds after submitting my booking, I realized there must have been 2 windows open and the wrong date went through. I picked up the phone and within 2 minutes I was speaking to an agent. Who told me there was nothing that could be done. They would need to contact the hotel for permission to change. And of course, the hotel was in Europe and they couldn't get through. I asked for a manager. The manager repeated the same story, then tried to call the hotel but was told that they would have to wait until the next day to speak to a manager. A cautionary tale: Expedia is the platform being used BUT DOES NOT provide protection, guarantees or any form of customer service.

The third problem I encountered was with reserving car rental which should only be charged upon pick up. As soon as I reserved, the car rental agency, Ace, immediately put a charge through on my credit card. Expedia didn't seem to be aware that this would happen. Again, there should be a disclaimer on their website, even though it's becoming tedious to keep track of all their new restrictive policies.

Another problem I had was the non-disclosure of an additional drop off charge for a car I picked up in Vancouver and dropped off 2 days later in Victoria. I was dinged with an additional $150 charge that had not been disclosed up front. Again, Expedia took no responsibility for that fact that the charge was undislosed ..and would not defend my interests.

In my opinion, they should not be dealing with shady companies, nor offering products without full disclosure of the extra charges, ommisions, limitations, or misleading claims. Their website has become more and more misleading. When reserving a hotel - pay very close attention to their misleading language, which is becoming more and more difficult to decipher. When they say FREE RESERVATION, or FREE CANCELLATION or NO BOOKING FEES they all mean very different things... Often, they will put the full payment through immediately, even though you might have understood that you didn't have to pay until you got to the hotel.

Lastly, it is infuriating the way the site stores information and browsing, only to use it against you when they hit you with the message YOUR PRICE HAS CHANGED when it comes time to book.

We, as customers, need to put pressure on Expedia.ca to be more transparent. They are duping us and we have little recourse.

Tip for consumers: They take advantage of your browsing history to hit you with higher prices when it comes time to book!

jf136
3/30/18

Expedia draws you in with advertised low prices - BUT prices advertised are not always what you're expected to pay. I booked two (2) rentals on the Expedia site and then (just because I had a nagging feeling) I called the actual Rental Company they were fronting for. The Rental company said they would NOT rent the car for the posted price. The price they quoted did not include Insurance. I explained that I had insurance on my Credit Card and that the website stated the Liability Insurance was included in the price. They looked up the confirmation number and said NO insurance was included in the price. The ACTUAL PRICE was DOUBLE what I was quoted on the site. Buyer Beware. I finally worked a deal with the Rental Car Company - NOT Through Expedia.

myrnac7
3/20/18

The hotel staff we called was quick to say that Expedia has had problems with other clients. Then why wouldn't the Hampton Inn stop dealing with Expedia. If I could give a rating from 1-5, I would give it a BIG FAT ZERO!!!

judyp58
2/15/18

A friend and I booked Extended Stay America Tampa Airport. We were both charged for the stay. They used my credit card as a booking on another Extended Stay hotel. Expedia would not refund.

barbs61
2/4/18

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PLEASE-I booked my first and last trip through Expedia today. I called the 1-800 number (Philippines call centre) because I thought it would prevent me from making any mistakes in the booking. It took 30 minutes to book the trip and 4 hours (along with various calls and speaking to 5 different people) to fix the mistake that the booking agent made (ie he entered the wrong name on one of the tickets, even though he spelled all the names out for me...how do you do that????). They re-booked our flights 3 times because they kept getting the names wrong (FYI-names aren't that difficult, and all last names were the same, but they kept getting 1/3 last names wrong??) During that time the flight price went up over $100 US dollars...they offered me a $25 coupon-they finally agreed to $100 coupon which still hasn't been emailed to me.
I called the airline to ensure that the booking information was correct because I was so doubtful after dealing with Expedia, and the airline said Expedia didn't book the seats on the plane and should have...I've just paid another $100 US to book the specific seats with the airline...I AM DUMBFOUNDED BY THE DISORGANIZATION, REPEATED MISTAKES AND EXTRA CHARGES I INCURRED DUE TO THEIR MISTAKE...after 7 hrs on my day off, and an extra $200US dollars, I think I actually have the tickets we want...I should have called American Airlines directly

sarahj249
1/11/18

Booking with expedia.ca makes no sense. You lose the ability to contact the airline or hotel if you need to make changes to your itinerary. When you call them, they will find some way to charge you even though they claim to not charge cancellation fees, etc...

Because they are crooks and don't care about their customers

By Krystin D.

I was totally screwed by expedia and they wasted probably 20 hours of my life - anyone feel me!??

By Jennifer S.

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia.ca staff and other customers.

Expedia.ca?