ElderHelpers

ElderHelpers has a consumer rating of 3.97 stars from 157 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. ElderHelpers also ranks 1st among Caregiving sites.

Special offer from ElderHelpers
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!
Sign Up Gain trust and grow your business with customer reviews

No positive highlights yet

• they only do a background check if the person donates money.
  • I spent good 2 weeks leaving messages for volunteers.
How would you rate ElderHelpers?

“An answer to prayer”

Barbara G.
9/27/19

Once I learned my way around on the site, I was able to contact several volunteers and coordinate schedules so that they could fill in being with my husband in memory care. The monthly donation is minor compared to the hourly fees that must be paid for people to companion our loved ones. I lucked out with volunteers who were devoted to being of help and came through for my husband and me time after time. I highly recommend this website and this service.

“Don't bother”

george w.
12/14/19

My husband signed up on 11/21. Our "donation" was withdrawn right away. Understandably, due to the holiday, we expected a delay. However, it took two weeks to get a response. All we needed was a code to be able to contact a volunteer. Instead, we kept getting the same email requesting a sign up and donation. When he finally received the code, he made 9 phone calls. The only two numbers that answered had moved out of the area. The other numbers were either no longer working, so a message was left. No one has responded 24 hours later. The latest from elder helpers is another request for our zip code? Don't you have our registration? Ridiculous.

background check (8) volunteers (26) customer service (6) organization (25) phone number (4)
samantham101
July 8th, 2017
Verified purchase
I have been a member for two years and have never received a phone call. I completely forgot I even gave these people $50 to get me some volunteer hours while I was in school and now I work two full times jobs as a nurse. Waste of time.
Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep
Because we have a huge pool of volunteers nationwide for elders and their families to choose from, we recommend you making your profile as appealing as possible and getting on board with our VIP volunteer program. With elderhelpers.org volunteers are never required to donate money. A simple registration is enough to have the opportunity to give back to the community, gain knowledge and wisdom from seniors. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
seleneb
August 13th, 2015
Verified purchase
I usually go over to their homes and help them out to whatever I can. My father has a law mowing service and most of them are elders.. So I use my elderly skills and help them out.
hassana16
April 13th, 2015
Verified purchase
I have a short term memory and don't remember anything. To bring joy to others, makes me happy.
emmaj9
June 18th, 2013
Old age may not be very pleasant for you if you are alone and suffer from various health conditions. My beloved passed away a few years ago. I do not blame my son for not being able to dedicate much time and attention to me as he is a busy professional. My health was deteriorating. It was scary as I was not being able to perform many of my routine activities without help. A friend of mine, another old chap, recommended visiting elderhelpers.org. I found a compassionate and young volunteer who was willing to lend me a helping hand in the activities that I required assistance in.
Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section
eb346
January 21st, 2014
I am hesitant to volunteer for them as they are not BBB accredited. Also, when I did a search for their phone number, it also shows this website, www.healthyyears.org which links back to elder helpers. The testimonials on their site look fake to me and there's just something that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about them. Its almost as if they are taking advantage of volunteers desire to help and definitely a subscription based thing for the elderly, a reoccurring cost, is just what the elderly don't need. but then again, look at the nursing homes and assisted living, they charge a fortune. And if you had to have someone come to your house a few hours a day, that would cost you way more than $49 a month. they have 5 complaints on the BBB in 12 months and a B rating which is OK at best. They need to raise it to an A. The real issue and question is. Can they provide enough volunteers in your area and if they don't have volunteers in your area, they should be upfront about it, and shouldn't charge you. I don't want to volunteer for any practice that is shady. They have no staff so thats why they can charge only $49 a month but they might not have enough volunteers from what some of the ads on here suggest. I've never seen them advertise anywhere to get volunteers other than their website and I wonder how many more web domains they own? Its a good concept if they can get enough volunteers, but like all volunteers, you have to keep replacing them because their lives change and they stop doing it. They seem to be relying on a workforce that they have no control over.
Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

Is elder help free

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

Elder Helpers is a user-friendly, web-based service. We believe that compassion at its finest is free. Volunteers register to offer their services based on their true desire to help elders. Elder Helpers strives to safely and conveniently connect these dedicated, passionate volunteers with elders in their local communities. We are a tax exempt organization and the contributions cover our operating costs. Our volunteers are true volunteers. For a tax deductible monthly donation of $50, you can contact as many volunteers as you would like, to ask them for as much help as you would like. We do screening and background checks and our website makes it convenient for you to locate volunteers where you need them and get to know them and the help they are willing to offer. Enjoy the safety and convenience of elderhelpers.org!

We are not supported by any government money. Solely volunteers, elders and their relatives help us pay for the technology and people making this service possible. Contributions from volunteers, training packets delivery, contributions from elders and relatives are handled by a third party meeting the best industry standards and is subject to change. Background checks are handled by www.IntelliCorp.net, a Verisk Company. We recruit our volunteers in reputable places and carefully screen all users. This service is new and innovative, we strongly encourage any visitor of this page to educate themselves by reading our FAQs at www.elderhelpers.org/faq and contact us via email for more information. Thank you.

Business History

Elderhelpers.org started in May 2010 to match volunteers with elders in need of help within their own community.

In the middle of June 2015, we have decided to stop offering a refund policy since it was rarely respected by our users. We switched to a third party meeting the best industry standards to offer tax deductible donation receipts, easy cancellation, and increased security.

We now only let informed people about our service (having read our FAQs carefully, and checked our listings of volunteers themselves) join our community. Each user gets access to our safe and convenient service for a small monthly contribution. We do not offer refunds anymore. There is no more subscription, monetary contribution is now considered a donation.. and it is tax deductible!

People joining our community are asked to be patient, nice to our volunteers, and to report wrong and disconnected phone numbers to us, which is the only way that we can keep a database clean and up-to-date. This website is user supported: volunteers give their time and when they can donate money, elders and their relatives participate fifty dollars a month, and report their results to benefit the entire community of users.

Mary R.
Customer service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ElderHelpers?

Have a question about ElderHelpers?