ElderHelpers

ElderHelpers has a consumer rating of 3.97 stars from 157 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. ElderHelpers also ranks 1st among Caregiving sites.

Special offer from ElderHelpers
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!
Sign Up Gain trust and grow your business with customer reviews

No positive highlights yet

• they only do a background check if the person donates money.
  • I spent good 2 weeks leaving messages for volunteers.
How would you rate ElderHelpers?

“An answer to prayer”

Barbara G.
9/27/19

Once I learned my way around on the site, I was able to contact several volunteers and coordinate schedules so that they could fill in being with my husband in memory care. The monthly donation is minor compared to the hourly fees that must be paid for people to companion our loved ones. I lucked out with volunteers who were devoted to being of help and came through for my husband and me time after time. I highly recommend this website and this service.

“Don't bother”

george w.
12/14/19

My husband signed up on 11/21. Our "donation" was withdrawn right away. Understandably, due to the holiday, we expected a delay. However, it took two weeks to get a response. All we needed was a code to be able to contact a volunteer. Instead, we kept getting the same email requesting a sign up and donation. When he finally received the code, he made 9 phone calls. The only two numbers that answered had moved out of the area. The other numbers were either no longer working, so a message was left. No one has responded 24 hours later. The latest from elder helpers is another request for our zip code? Don't you have our registration? Ridiculous.

background check (8) volunteers (26) customer service (6) organization (25) phone number (4)
andig12
January 7th, 2020
Verified purchase
Immediate response back. They're involved with getting you involved with their multiple services that fit your ability and time that you can bring to the table... so to speak.
barbarag398
September 27th, 2019
bobc412
January 26th, 2020
Verified purchase
I assisted with my mom & her Dementia.
I was a caregiver to my wife with ALS.
I know my way around a grocery store, shopping for almost 40 yrs.
michellel539
December 14th, 2019
Verified purchase
I love working with the elders and improving their quality of life. Whether it's going out checking out the Christmas decorations or reading to them, I enjoy every bit of it.
urianm
July 19th, 2019
Verified purchase
Love it. I enjoy helping elderly woman with every day tasks. Makes me feel s
Fulfilled with my life. From gardening to cleaning I am thankful to be given the opportunity to help the elderly
gabriellag10
May 26th, 2019
Verified purchase
My name is Gabriella and I'm new to the Elder Helpers. I'm a trained volunteer and I am so excited about Elder Helpers. I can't wait to get started and begin helping elders and their families.
susana375
Verified purchase
I was blessed to have an elderhelper who became involved with both my parents. She became a friend to them and visited them in their home regularly. She helped them when I had to be out of town. I have since moved my parents to separate care facilities and our elderhelper continues to visit them to play cards or provide companionship, Thank you for providing a service that has been such a help.
deniseb313
January 28th, 2019
Verified purchase
Information received was very informative and a great tool for providing excellent help for our seniors
annh295
Verified purchase
We are so glad we have gotten in touch with Elderhelpers. Our 96 year old aunt, who lives alone by choice, has greatly benefited from Elderhelpers.
patriciam566
Verified purchase
My experience has not been anything. As of yet I have not had anything to help with. I think it would be great to have an opportunity to help someone.
cynthias274
Verified purchase
I have professionally partnered with this agency and they are wonderful people to work with. They are dependable and trustworthy. Always go the extra mile.
jerryc231
Verified purchase
I have two lovely young ladies that come to my home and walk my Dog on Monday and Wednesday.

They really really help me. I am 76 have some infirmities. I appreciate when they walk my dog.
alexh284
December 6th, 2018
Verified purchase
I graduated College with the founder of the company. He has always been am extremely intelligent, high achieve, trustworthy stand up guy.
allisonn24
Allison N.
Verified purchase
I volunteer once a week and it's become one of my favorite days of the week!
We all look forward to seeing each other and hanging out together.
mikep482
Verified purchase
So many great adventures. So little time! There seems to be so many different choices. It would be wonderful if we could do a number of trips a year.
karenb851
Verified purchase
When I was feeling EXTREMELY down and lonely, like a prisoner in my senior apartment, I got a beautiul e mail from them that encouraged me.
lizj50
Verified purchase
A much much needed service for elders and for their society often dismisses elders - this service values them
danyj6
November 25th, 2018
That website is really good and help me connecting with helpers... would recommend to families looking for extra help with elders.
johannas2
June 10th, 2018
• Updated review
My opinion of Elder Helpers remains unchanged. People who take advantage of the elderly need to be brought to justice.
customers13
Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section. As a special note for this extra strongly worded review: we have always had since conception a feature on our website for volunteers to set their profiles as inactive and therefore invisible to the public. We believe that this review was indeed left by someone with bad intentions and legal action might apply.
Mary R's threat
June 8th, 2018
• Previous review
Update April 20 2016: (In addition I have responded to all of "Mary's" emails so their response about not being able to contact me is bogus)
Chuck.....Mary....whoever you are,
Who is managing your website that you can't see that my profile is obviously live? I just received another phone call April 18th from another senior looking for assistance. I would love to send you the url but since I can't even log in AND when I chose to have you people send me an email because your site says my password is incorrect it doesn't send the email. Maybe I'm the one who needs a lawyer.

Mary R. wrote: -------------------------
Hello Johanna,

Could you please confirm that your profile is not on our site anymore and in case you do see it please email us the url so that we can take it down.

Chuck
elderhelpers.org

I was contacted by Mary yesterday:
"Hello, I am Mary and here to help you solve this issue. Please let me know if you would like my assistance, I will be glad to assist you.
However if you refuse we will pass on your review to our lawyers, thank you.
Mary,
I would like nothing more then to delete my profile from your website; and I know I'm not the only one. Please do pass on my review to your lawyers and to any and everyone else you know the more visibility the better that is the whole purpose for posting reviews.
Thank you so much for your assistance!
dorothyw59
April 18th, 2018
After signing up and paying for 2 months service I had been unable to use the service because of a changes in my life.

Very quick and nice when I called to cancel and get a refund. I am impressed and happy with ElderHelpers customer service.
michelleq11
March 4th, 2018
I signed up with ElderHelpers to get involved in my community, get to know an elder who may need companionship and support, and contribute my time and energy to making their lives better. ElderHelpers is very organized and professional. They offered a helpful training and took careful consideration when pairing me with an elder to ensure that the relationship would work from both ends. I highly recommend getting involved.
jerinas
March 26th, 2018
They are a very good organization of o had the opportunity to help the elders I will with a big open hand I love helping people especially those who cant really do everything on their own Im going back to school to be on a psw worker in order for me to be a part of an organization that can help people to have a better and happier future just like us who have it easier I love meaning a beautiful smile on people faces .
andread99
March 27th, 2018
Verified purchase
The information was very helpful and easy to understand the registration was an ease . Very Happy that I sign up
mirelav
March 1st, 2018
I use to visit this lady named Pearl with my dog every Sunday for few hours whatching some classic movie ( her tv was always on that channel) actually i was watching, she was blind, but just seeing her so happy and content patting my dog belly for hours was such a fulfillment. Unfortunately she passed away, but i would gladly help any other seniors who would need help.
Thank you elders helpers!
jacobp56
March 6th, 2018
Elders are full of wisdom and amazing stories visiting and helping is a treat and a fum time to spend your day and time with them

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

Is elder help free

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

Elder Helpers is a user-friendly, web-based service. We believe that compassion at its finest is free. Volunteers register to offer their services based on their true desire to help elders. Elder Helpers strives to safely and conveniently connect these dedicated, passionate volunteers with elders in their local communities. We are a tax exempt organization and the contributions cover our operating costs. Our volunteers are true volunteers. For a tax deductible monthly donation of $50, you can contact as many volunteers as you would like, to ask them for as much help as you would like. We do screening and background checks and our website makes it convenient for you to locate volunteers where you need them and get to know them and the help they are willing to offer. Enjoy the safety and convenience of elderhelpers.org!

We are not supported by any government money. Solely volunteers, elders and their relatives help us pay for the technology and people making this service possible. Contributions from volunteers, training packets delivery, contributions from elders and relatives are handled by a third party meeting the best industry standards and is subject to change. Background checks are handled by www.IntelliCorp.net, a Verisk Company. We recruit our volunteers in reputable places and carefully screen all users. This service is new and innovative, we strongly encourage any visitor of this page to educate themselves by reading our FAQs at www.elderhelpers.org/faq and contact us via email for more information. Thank you.

Business History

Elderhelpers.org started in May 2010 to match volunteers with elders in need of help within their own community.

In the middle of June 2015, we have decided to stop offering a refund policy since it was rarely respected by our users. We switched to a third party meeting the best industry standards to offer tax deductible donation receipts, easy cancellation, and increased security.

We now only let informed people about our service (having read our FAQs carefully, and checked our listings of volunteers themselves) join our community. Each user gets access to our safe and convenient service for a small monthly contribution. We do not offer refunds anymore. There is no more subscription, monetary contribution is now considered a donation.. and it is tax deductible!

People joining our community are asked to be patient, nice to our volunteers, and to report wrong and disconnected phone numbers to us, which is the only way that we can keep a database clean and up-to-date. This website is user supported: volunteers give their time and when they can donate money, elders and their relatives participate fifty dollars a month, and report their results to benefit the entire community of users.

customers13
Mary R.
Customer service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ElderHelpers?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

4.0
Have a question about ElderHelpers?