ElderHelpers

ElderHelpers has a consumer rating of 4.25 stars from 169 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with ElderHelpers most frequently mention great organization. ElderHelpers ranks 1st among Caregiving sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 62.5%
Special offer from ElderHelpers
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!
Sign Up Gain trust and grow your business with customer reviews

No positive highlights yet

• They only do a background check if the person donates money.
  • I spent good 2 weeks leaving messages for volunteers.
How would you rate ElderHelpers?

“I am enrolled, trained, excited about Elder Helpers, and ready to start helping elders, families.”

David S.
7/9/21

Excellent experience. I am enrolled, trained, excited about Elder Helpers, and ready to start helping elders, families.

“Energy of Life”

Robert I.
2/15/21

Excellent handy-man, walker, gardener. I have been a volunteer ski instructor for the disabled, Red Cross, Little Rock Parks and Recreation, Habitat for Humanity, Literacy, and repairing homes in Puerto Rico after Maria. I am also a licensed Arkansas attorney

background check (8) volunteers (26) customer service (6) organization (25) phone number (4)
davids6215
July 9th, 2021

roberti347
February 15th, 2021

maryc2297
April 11th, 2021
Verified purchase

Easy to use. Creating a profile couldn't be easier. I think it would be better if you had a database showing whether there are any elderly folks in my area that are actively looking for a helper.

amandaq222
January 23rd, 2021
Verified purchase

I can't wait to put all of my heart and soul into this volunteer program and I'm also extremely happy to start helping out in any way that I can.

jimd931
June 22nd, 2021
Verified purchase

I have not received the packet or even been able to place the order for it. So far it has only taken my donation and now the site seems to be locked up or repeating these steps, 3rd time I have had to fill this form out to try and submit.
I would be happy to revisit this and write a review once I am able to move forward.

lukes270
October 4th, 2021
Verified purchase

I am a college student at the University of Toledo studying chemical engineering. I am looking forward to potentially assisting with any help needed, including visiting any senior member who is lonely.

ks87
March 4th, 2015

I signed up for a month and was able to find a helpful volunteer after only 4 phone calls! Everything started out well & I was thankful for this service. Down the road, however, the helper did a few things that were deemed inappropriate, such as removing a painting from the wall, with who knows what intention since he was stopped in his tracks, and "permanently borrowing" a book without permission. He had a history of mental problems for which he had been hospitalized per his own admission.

I believe that helpers should be more thoroughly vetted by ElderHelpers, and those who utilize their services should know that they do so at their own risk. What started out as a most promising experience turned out to be very disappointing in the end.

Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep

ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.

miked837
March 21st, 2020
Verified purchase

Awesome easy experience. Looking forward to volunteering and helping elders

jordano35
May 13th, 2020
Verified purchase

They moved quickly to move me through the process of being ready and educated to help volunteer those who need it.

janellc17
June 14th, 2021
Verified purchase

Being raised by my grandmother and grandfather, I know that life as the years come can be difficult if the proper care and resources are not provided to the elderly. Living alongside them and meeting their needs was always a primordial task for me, one that I hope to be able to share with other in need.
Over the past year I have work alongside a legal environment which advocates for the needs of the elderly in order to prevent abuse, neglect, and loss of life. It would be an honor to assist in any way that I may using the life-long knowledge and expertise I have acquired in order to meet the needs of those whom may not be able to help themselves as much as they used to.

hassana16
April 13th, 2015
Verified purchase

I have a short term memory and don't remember anything. To bring joy to others, makes me happy.

desireep31
March 3rd, 2020
Verified purchase

I think this is a great opportunity for lives to be be enriched through different generations; to add benefit to lives of so many and to offer assistance through care and small tasks.

georgew380
December 14th, 2019

My husband signed up on 11/21. Our "donation" was withdrawn right away. Understandably, due to the holiday, we expected a delay. However, it took two weeks to get a response. All we needed was a code to be able to contact a volunteer. Instead, we kept getting the same email requesting a sign up and donation. When he finally received the code, he made 9 phone calls. The only two numbers that answered had moved out of the area. The other numbers were either no longer working, so a message was left. No one has responded 24 hours later. The latest from elder helpers is another request for our zip code? Don't you have our registration? Ridiculous.

sarahj63
February 25th, 2014

I am a social worker with a social service agency in Los Angeles and arranged in early 2013 for a client to have an Elder Helper volunteer. I was told that the one-year membership could be canceled at any time and the balanced pro-rated and refunded. At that time, the service itself contacted potential volunteers, who then contacted the client. I received only two calls. Happily, one of them worked out very well, but six months later, the volunteer announced that she was moving out of the area. I contacted Elder Helpers about obtaining either a new volunteer or a refund for the remaining months of the subscription and was told that all I could was go to the website and start over--at a higher rate than what I had originally paid. After a frustrating month of back and forth e-mails with a nameless "customer service," I gave up on the refund. In December, the client died. I followed the instructions on the website for canceling the subscription (which were hard enough to find), as I certainly didn't want to pay again for another year. Our agency just received the January credit card bill--with an automatic charge for another year of Elder Helpers! I've again tried to contact "customer service" and, well, here we go again. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Elder Helpers.org to any of my clients or their families. It's a shame, too, as a viable service such as this one purports to be would be of such great value to our elders.

bobc412
January 26th, 2020
Verified purchase

I assisted with my mom & her Dementia.
I was a caregiver to my wife with ALS.
I know my way around a grocery store, shopping for almost 40 yrs.

janicec8
October 16th, 2013

After paying the $319 yearly fee, I was unable to find any volunteers to call me back after contacting over 25 volunteers listed on the website. Two people called back, and one declines saying she didn't even know her name and info were being listed as she denied volunteering or applying to volunteer with this organization.
When I emailed ElderHelpers for assistance in finding a volunteer, they kept emailing me their link to FAQ's and did not help. When I asked about a refund due to their volunteers not calling me back, they wouldn't help me until I gave them a list of all the volunteers I called and their respective responses.
Basically they use these paying customers to weed through their volunteer lists for them, and they do not help in any way finding anyone.
I finally demanded a refund and they would not give it to me until I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau, and then deducted a prorated monthly fee for doing absolutely nothing but putting up a volunteer list of people who don't want to volunteer.
SCAM

seleneb
August 13th, 2015
Verified purchase

I usually go over to their homes and help them out to whatever I can. My father has a law mowing service and most of them are elders. So I use my elderly skills and help them out.

andig12
January 7th, 2020
Verified purchase

Immediate response back. They're involved with getting you involved with their multiple services that fit your ability and time that you can bring to the table... so to speak.

susana375
November 26th, 2018
Verified purchase

I was blessed to have an elderhelper who became involved with both my parents. She became a friend to them and visited them in their home regularly. She helped them when I had to be out of town. I have since moved my parents to separate care facilities and our elderhelper continues to visit them to play cards or provide companionship, Thank you for providing a service that has been such a help.

jessicak57
May 22nd, 2016
Verified purchase

It was great to view the many volunteers on the ElderHelpers website, which included young people who want to provide help with the older generation. The volunteers I selected have now become part of my family.
I have shared with many in my parish about Elder Helpers. Most have never heard of this great organization. Frequent announcements in newsletters or flyers at the various Senior Centers would be a good way to publicize about this organization.

alpanap2
November 10th, 2020
Verified purchase

Its great and I'm excited for opportunities like this. It really makes a difference

emmaj9
June 18th, 2013

Old age may not be very pleasant for you if you are alone and suffer from various health conditions. My beloved passed away a few years ago. I do not blame my son for not being able to dedicate much time and attention to me as he is a busy professional. My health was deteriorating. It was scary as I was not being able to perform many of my routine activities without help. A friend of mine, another old chap, recommended visiting elderhelpers.org. I found a compassionate and young volunteer who was willing to lend me a helping hand in the activities that I required assistance in.

cynthiae262
October 12th, 2020
Verified purchase

Easy and professional experience. EldersHelpers exceeded my expectations as a volunteer.

michellel539
December 14th, 2019
Verified purchase

I love working with the elders and improving their quality of life. Whether it's going out checking out the Christmas decorations or reading to them, I enjoy every bit of it.

eb346
January 21st, 2014

I am hesitant to volunteer for them as they are not BBB accredited. Also, when I did a search for their phone number, it also shows this website, www.healthyyears.org which links back to elder helpers. The testimonials on their site look fake to me and there's just something that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about them. Its almost as if they are taking advantage of volunteers desire to help and definitely a subscription based thing for the elderly, a reoccurring cost, is just what the elderly don't need. But then again, look at the nursing homes and assisted living, they charge a fortune. And if you had to have someone come to your house a few hours a day, that would cost you way more than $49 a month. They have 5 complaints on the BBB in 12 months and a B rating which is OK at best. They need to raise it to an A. The real issue and question is. Can they provide enough volunteers in your area and if they don't have volunteers in your area, they should be upfront about it, and shouldn't charge you. I don't want to volunteer for any practice that is shady. They have no staff so thats why they can charge only $49 a month but they might not have enough volunteers from what some of the ads on here suggest. I've never seen them advertise anywhere to get volunteers other than their website and I wonder how many more web domains they own? Its a good concept if they can get enough volunteers, but like all volunteers, you have to keep replacing them because their lives change and they stop doing it. They seem to be relying on a workforce that they have no control over.

Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

Is elder help free

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Does ( ElderHelpers.org) receive State or Federal financial assistance or subsidies as a non-profit?

By Kip H.

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

Elder Helpers is a user-friendly, web-based service. We believe that compassion at its finest is free. Volunteers register to offer their services based on their true desire to help elders. Elder Helpers strives to safely and conveniently connect these dedicated, passionate volunteers with elders in their local communities. We are a tax exempt organization and the contributions cover our operating costs. Our volunteers are true volunteers. For a tax deductible monthly donation of $50, you can contact as many volunteers as you would like, to ask them for as much help as you would like. We do screening and background checks and our website makes it convenient for you to locate volunteers where you need them and get to know them and the help they are willing to offer. Enjoy the safety and convenience of elderhelpers.org!

We are not supported by any government money. Solely volunteers, elders and their relatives help us pay for the technology and people making this service possible. Contributions from volunteers, training packets delivery, contributions from elders and relatives are handled by a third party meeting the best industry standards and is subject to change. Background checks are handled by www.IntelliCorp.net, a Verisk Company. We recruit our volunteers in reputable places and carefully screen all users. This service is new and innovative, we strongly encourage any visitor of this page to educate themselves by reading our FAQs at www.elderhelpers.org/faq and contact us via email for more information. Thank you.

Business History

Elderhelpers.org started in May 2010 to match volunteers with elders in need of help within their own community.

In the middle of June 2015, we have decided to stop offering a refund policy since it was rarely respected by our users. We switched to a third party meeting the best industry standards to offer tax deductible donation receipts, easy cancellation, and increased security.

We now only let informed people about our service (having read our FAQs carefully, and checked our listings of volunteers themselves) join our community. Each user gets access to our safe and convenient service for a small monthly contribution. We do not offer refunds anymore. There is no more subscription, monetary contribution is now considered a donation. And it is tax deductible!

People joining our community are asked to be patient, nice to our volunteers, and to report wrong and disconnected phone numbers to us, which is the only way that we can keep a database clean and up-to-date. This website is user supported: volunteers give their time and when they can donate money, elders and their relatives participate fifty dollars a month, and report their results to benefit the entire community of users.

Mary R.
Senior Customer Care Specialist
Mary has been serving elders for years and through her experience in the industry she has brought great expertise to the very innovative elderhelpers.org. You can reach her at help@elderhelpers.org with your questions, concerns, comments and kuddos.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ElderHelpers?

Have a question about ElderHelpers?