Review of Care.com

Tel: 877-227-3115
optout@care.com

daphner14
7/15/19

I signed up for ONE month to try out their service. I keep getting charged for the monthly service even after repeated calls to get reimbursed and to stop their monthly billing. Unfortunately, I will not use them again.

danield383
7/11/19

Scam. I don't want to give them one star. They don't connect you with clients unless you pay them. The rated "fees for your area" are false and when asked they claim is up to the cleaner to negotiate with the client. This is not possible because they already created a false expectation on the client. So they shouldn't mention fees. Some people want their house in an upscale neighborhood to be cleaned for prices I myself haven't seen since the 80's. These people are causing home workers to lose business.

krsc
7/9/19

Care.com only wants your MONEY $$
They need to spend
Less money on fake MARKETING and more money on QUALITY...

kats120
7/8/19

I signed up with care.com as a babysitter, caregiver and petsitter (3different profiles) and stayed on for 3 months. I have +10 years experience in child and animal care including special needs children, CPR/first aid training as well as 4 years experience as a caregiver and in the 3 months I was on the site, even with all that experience and a good review I got 2 interviews and no jobs. I filled out my profile, kept it up to date and paid for a background check and still rarely got past dm's with everyone that messaged me. There's no accountability for the parents either so while I put time, effort and money into finding a job, the parents don't even have to have a picture. I've seen craigslist job postings with more info than almost all the profiles the parents set up on this site. It's not just the parents; care.com not only makes you pay for a subscription but has "badges" within the site like a video game so if you don't earn enough badges, you're chances at someone looking at your profile goes down which is ridiculous because i'm already paying them. If you want to end your subscription and remove your account, they take their sweet time and still charge for that month and you have to keep going back to the site every day double checking until it's confirmed because there's a chance they'll keep charging your card in the background if you aren't careful.

gigiiv
7/5/19

Honestly, they need to be taken to court! Never did they disclose that both the parent and caregiver needed to pay in order TO SPEAK TO EACH OTHER! Its incredibly bogus!! This is especially hard for the people with no money and are trying to get a job! Care.com only cares about money and finding ways to excuse their terrible business. DO NOT TRY!! YOU WILL REGRET.

cindya124
7/5/19

I was allowed to set up my account but then I was suspended for a stupid reason. I paid my money then I was suspended!!! I wouldn't recommend using this online site to no one period!!!!

samanthac213
7/5/19

After paying the $20 pro caregiver membership, over three weeks went by and my profile was still in not approved status so I had just wasted $20 and when I contacted the customer service and told them that I wanted to cancel my pro membership and receive a refund as my profile had still not been approved, therefore I was not able to get any leads, they told me that they don't do refunds. They offered no explanation as to why the paid profile was never approved and refused to give the refund. What a waste!

davida900
6/25/19

My wife and I are expecting our first child soon, so we're exploring our options for nannies in case the SAHM plan doesn't work out.

I tried signing up for a care.com account and the system wouldn't let me create an account (Error Code: 8589707). I called and got the confrontational response everybody gets - "per the care.com TOS, we don't need to tell you why your account was terminated and we can terminate it for any reason. Common reasons include....(list of really bad stuff)". It's so silly - I've never used the site, so I do not even have an account for them to terminate...and I couldn't have possibly violated any rules during the five minute setup process. My wife and I are straight shooters with squeaky clean records, so I don't know what could have possibly compelled them to treat me like a criminal.

It's not the end of the world (I'll just sign up on SitterCity or something) but I don't understand how a company can have such abysmal customer service and still remain in business.

genag9
6/24/19

I'm terminating my membership immediately waste of time waste of money waste of everything very upsetting very

bridgettl5
6/22/19

Exactly what the title says. Paid for a 6 month premium membership, a background check, then within hours my account was terminated for violating guidelines.

dinal23
6/21/19

This nation is in a childcare crisis where quality, affordable and safe care providers are far and few between. Care.com offering a service to weed through them is commendable. At a profit - well, this is a capitalistic nation. That being said, Care.com needs to review its subscription concept and consider implementing options similar to those reverse phone/address/background look-up sites that offer a minimal subscription for 1-day/1-week or other limited access parameters. If not, at least UPGRADE your upgrade info so that someone doing a quick search and only needs limited access is not quick to UPGRADE to a MONTHLY subscription that is charged in full. I saw the break down of a $13/mo charge that you could cancel at anytime. Great! I clicked the upgrade button and confirmed my credit card - then $156!!! WHAT! Come to find out the mention of $13/mo is only letting you know that a 12/mo subscription breaks down to that amount, but you are paying $156 in advance. Okay, my mistake for not looking for the fine print. However, I did not cheat and access any of the care giver info that I was interested in. I immediately tried to downgrade on my own, but could not tell if it worked. I then immediately found the online chat to explain what had happened. The standard "POLICY" excuse was given as to not being able to cancel the subscription and issue a full refund - although I contacted them within minutes and I am sure they could check the account to confirm I had not accessed any info that would be accessible with the UPGRADE. I was only offered a refund of $117 with them retaining $39 for a 1-month subscription that would automatically be downgraded at the end of that term. I acquiesced to the 1-mo with the caviat that the account be automatically closed instead of downgraded at the end of the month. Care.com - take better CARE of potential return and recommending customers. If instead of charging the $39/1-mo term, you had instead offered a full refund, charged $13/1-week, or some other minimal administrative cancellation fee, I would be more likely to remain a once in a while returning customer who would be more likely to recommend others who are in need of your services - as I have done on many occasions years ago when my children were younger. I really only needed a day to access possible teenagers looking to earn summer money by helping with transporting my last of 3-sons still at home to basketball practice when I cannot get away from work. I just thought it would be better to use your services instead of having to weed through Craigslist ads. Don't make the care giver situation worse by nickel-and-diming people. Be honest and forthright and offer options for different types of customers. Really think about what parent really needs a 1 year subscription to find a caregiver. Usually, you need to find someone within a few days/weeks, depending on circumstances a 3-mo subscription may be worth it in case the person you initially chose does not work out. A business, may need a longer term access if maybe they offer care giver employee benefits or something along those lines. However, again, think about the individual parent and that we are already paying for the care itself, why exacerbate the financial stress.

devinh50
6/18/19

For 6-7 years I worked diligently on building up my Care.com profile. I worked with many families and garnered a decent following with reviews and a reputable status. It was a really nice setup that I spent a lot of money, time, and hard work putting together. Around my 6th year as a loyal and paying member of Care.com as a nanny, I worked with one woman for a total of two TRIAL days. I told her I felt it was not a good fit for my life at the time and that I wished the family luck in finding a care provider better suited to their needs. For weeks afterwards, the woman then calls me, texts me, leaves voicemails and emails for me. She continues to yell at me, tell me I am "dumb and lazy" and that her professional status in the mental health field meant she was qualified, after literally knowing me for three days, to diagnose me as an unfit employee because I did not wish to work for her family. I was respectful and moved along, reaching out to the support team at Care.com to see if I could get any help in not having this woman continue to harass me. I never got a response from them, but rather I received calls from my old references wondering why this lady was saying I was so disturbed and insane. They obviously did not believe her and wanted to help me. I open my email and there it is: "we have shut down your account due to undisclosed reasons regarding violations of Care.com's rules..." The woman had reached out to them, and they did not even give my email a read, they blocked me from the site indefinitely. I have been struggling to find nearly anything without this site, but am appalled at their lack of CARE for the employees and their well being. For families, and those who are lucky, this site is a phenomenal asset. For situations like mine, where the family isn't a good match/the parents are overly upset/unreasonable, this is the worst place to find a job. Everyone around me told me to find an attorney, because this woman did something illegal by contacting references and past employers and getting my PAID 6+ year membership shut down. Three years later, Care.com still refuses to reach back out to me or even let me explain my situation to rebuild and repay for an account. I am disgusted by their lack of CARE. Not worth it.

lisaf401
6/18/19

I signed up to hopefully, find someone to clean my home. I got no responses to my replies or, the candidates lived too far away. I used the service for five days in May and found it useless. I communicated this to Customer Service and expected a refund, their response, NO REFUND. Huge black mark in my eyes and will steer anyone away from this company who is seeking these kinds of service. Care.com - you really flunked.

arianas11
6/17/19

My teenage daughter tried to become a member to find pet sitting jobs. When I tried to approve her account via email, I kept getting a dead end message. Naturally, there is no customer service phone number (because that would imply that they HAVE customer service) so when I tried to do their stupid "chat w/a tech" option, it (obviously) auto generated generic questions before saying it would transfer me to a tech person, then sent me straight to the "give us your credit card before we answer your question" option. I'm a little too old to fall for that scam, thanks.
The glowing reviews they have on their site? Safe bet that a lot are fake. When I checked actual unaffiliated review sites, I read a bunch of horror stories from people who were actual Care.com members, so I'm relieved that I was unable to make it through the membership process & wasn't willing to pay the $1 fee to talk to a supposed tech support agent! Been burned by membership programs with too many companies to give out my credit card info ever again!

janeo60
6/15/19

I was on care.com a few years ago and got business. Still have a couple customers still from back then. Recently, I posted my job for housecleaning and paid the 20 dollars to find more work. I thought it was unusual when some potential customers were messaging me and saying I would love to chat! Can I call you? Then ask for my phone number. Another one had a profile pic and asked if my schedule fit hers. I didn't know her schedule as she did not tell me. She went on wanting to be cleaned for a few hours the same day she messaged me. I'm not going to someone's home to clean without meeting them first. I told her I would like to come and meet with her and give her an estimate and never heard anything back from her. Another lady had the same last name as an old customer of mine but lived in a different town. Many I would end meage to but none would answer. Some I would click on their profile to read the job description but their job description would be anything beside housecleaning. One man had a job posted that I gave an estimate to about a year ago and he was one that said I'd love to chat, can I call you? The guy was divorced when I met him over a year ago and his profile says he's married with kids. Care.com contacted my customers and ruined my business by lying to them. I worked so hard to build my business and now it's almost all gone. Do NOT press on any links from emails or text messages from care.com! That's how they hack your phone or device! I hope someday I find help and justice for this! I'm a single mom and they ruined everything I worked so hard for!

katw37
6/14/19

Care wouldn't let me open an account bc of an arrest (no conviction). "Under PA law, an employer may consider an applicant's felony or misdemeanor convictions in the hiring process only if they relate to the applicant's suitability for the job." Not only was I not convicted, but it had nothing to do with the potential job.

teddyd12
6/12/19

The biggest, most unbelievably bad and pointless waste of time of a website you could find. I am astounded at how little this helps both for posting jobs and finding them. Who is going to pay 20 dollars a month for the privilege of messaging someone? Or for the privilege of allowing someone to message you back? Lord almighty. Avoid this POS website at all costs.

susanr464
6/10/19

Tip for consumers: N/A

sandrac403
6/8/19

both the sitter and the parent have to pay for memberships or you cannot talk to each other. It is a total waste of time

olgak59
6/5/19

I made profile. And I did finish filling out rest of the stuff I was trying to log in the next day to finish but the deleted my profile with out letting know. And I can't make a profile there anymore.

johna1300
6/4/19

I was looking for a tutor for my son, googled tutors, and care.com showed 4-5 that have the requisite knowledge. I had to pay to join and then couldn't find the tutors that were in the google results. I found 4 other candidates. The one person that I messaged had a tutor price of $25-55/hour and quoted to me a $75/hr rate - way too high. I requested a refund and was told no via email. So I researched to call the 800# and realized I was charged an extra $19 for something called a combined check plan on top of the $15 premium plan for my first month. I called and still did not get my refund, they said they aren't responsible for rates or people replying. They are just a bridge to potential tutors. What a scam and giant waste of time. AVOID CARE.COM

lb248
6/3/19

I joined care.com years ago when I was in high school, had an awesome experience with it and babysat/dogsat for multiple people. It was wonderful and easy to use! Just rejoined this past month and saw they revamped, didn't think anything of it, and messaged a few people looking for services. Hadn't heard anything back and went to look at my messages and it said "Upgrade now to allow John Doe to reply!". I mean what the heck care.com. No where did it tell me that these people would not be able to message me back in any form even though they can see my application. No where. It's a complete scam now. Avoid unless you like false advertising, lying, or will pay after they've mislead you. They were an awesome site that sucks now.

karent29
5/29/19

I paid $20 on Care.com for a Premium membership to apply to adult and childcare jobs. I wasn't getting any responses, I was an RN, many years of expereince for both types of care for this age group. I called Care.com about this, found out that the job poster has to pay to be able to respoind to my applications,if they don't than they can't reply. So thye can post a job for free,can't reply to an application without paying for a premium membership. So this site doesn't tell a job seeker this upfront, very deceitful. A job seeker could be waiting months to get a response on their many applications sent out. Don't pay on this site, I received 2 applications back out of 20 sent out over 2 months, waste of money and time.

georges559
5/23/19

I signed up for a trial. Unable to cancel account. called 800# sends you in a circle. I cancelled my account and they continue to charge. had to file a credit card claim. terrible site . don't use!

vincentv48
5/15/19

Reading the prior review, my wife and I are just one of too many being defrauded by CARE.COM. This is enough.
Like many before us, we called to cancel, and kept being charged for 2 years. That's what you get when you don't really care about $42.46 bucks a month. As small as the amount is (even if it adds up after 2y), as much as I would even accept to forgo this amount had we forgotten to cancel (per their deceptive practice and policy), I certainly will not accept to be cheated. This company seems expert at it on so many level that I have decided to dedicate time and resources to address the issue they represent. Too bad for them I both have time and resources as well as recorded evidence....
Now, the bad news for CARE.com is that we are tenacious and determined to set the record straight not only for us but for everyone else in our case.
Please send us your personal case at:

takingcaredotcomtocourtagain@gmail.com

Most likely the company is also in breach of past contract anyways. Please read: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rm-law-announces-class-action-lawsuit-against-carecom-inc-300833325.htm.

I will be collecting cases for the next couple of months and initiate another class action lawsuit to whoever wants to participate.

Looking forward to see you in court care.com.
In case you wonder where this is coming from: 2019-05-15-13891831

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B.

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R.
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M.

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K.

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d.

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L.

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H.

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H.

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G.
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

Care.com?