Review of Care.com

Tel: 877-227-3115
optout@care.com

stacym145
8/16/18

Recently I found out a child care worker was back working in North Georgia after a child was injured in her care and had to go the hospital. She was found neglecting a child in her care in which the parents nanny cam showed her hitting him in the head. She also did not watch a small child who could have gotten out and been killed on a main road. She was found to have been on her phone and left the child unattended to get in the road. She hit this child repeatably in the head and screamed over and over. This Person just legally changed their name from Missi Lehmann to Missi Romo. She should never been reinstated with the care.com site under a false name/ name change. She is going to be out there hurting and neglecting children once again. Care.com should screen the pictures and ban prior nannies. She is allowed to work again under another alias name. Beware of Missi Reynolds Missi Lehmann-Now Missi Romo!!!

amandar230
8/14/18

I joined Care.com with a 7 dollar off coupon from Honey. My total at checkout was $13.00. I was charged (and I have the record on bank statement) $23. It also said that my card would be automatically charged the next month as well, and I did NOT consent to this. After attempting to call them about the issue failed, I sent a polite email requesting my money back the same day that I purchased the service. They told me that they didn't do refunds but asked for feedback and if my matter was resolved. I wrote back saying no, the matter wasn't resolved and I'm still unhappy that I was ripped off. They wrote back pretty much saying "Sorry you feel that way, no refunds though. But you may still use your account for the month that you paid for". So I just bit my tongue and took the loss. But guess what? They've completely deactivated my Care account. After over-charging me $23. Care.com stole from me. They took my hard-earned money. This is not a light matter. I hope nobody ever goes through this. We join these websites looking for work because we NEED work, we are in NEED of money for food and to pay bills to keep a roof over our heads. Please let it be known that this is a horribly deceiving site. All they "care" about it taking your money and leaving you high and dry. I'm so disappointed that there are people like this in the world.

stacyo17
8/14/18

Care.com does not do any kind of background checks and will not help you if you are scammed by one of their members. My daughter was "employed" by a member of care.com, was sent a check to secure her employment. The check was fraudulent and returned so she then became responsible by her bank to return the money. The person that employed her then became completely unavailable. Care.com refused to help in any way.

lindseya26
8/13/18

I signed up for ca.care.com as a caregiver. It used to be fine - you could message whoever you wanted. Now you can not message interested families back without upgrading to a premium membership. The only messages I get are from scammers who come off as very creepy or are "moving to your area soon" and describe payment in a different currency. How are these scammers getting into my inbox but legitimate jobs are not?

All jobs posted are extremely generic and use the exact same phrases and sentence structure. It has me wondering if these profiles are even real or if its all a facade.

I have only had one successful job through this site, but it was a one-off job. Beyond that, anytime a family expresses interest in my profile I am unable to respond back without upgrading. I have since started using canadiannanny.ca and sitter.com and have found a wonderful family to sit for.

Thanks care.com for only allowing creeps and scammers to contact me.

ramseyd3
8/13/18

They are quick to take your cash, don't return emails or calls. Very poorly designed service. They make their money off of their terms and conditions, not hoenst business. They send you poor leads.

leng30
8/12/18

Call me. five four 1 72 six 4 eight one 6.

I need 5-7 hours a week, split over two days. I need some housekeeping and to get to grocery store and doctor appts.

I'm 67 years old. I have a chronic condition. I need help. You need a job. Lets make this work. My name is Len.

casieo2
8/11/18

I opened my account 24 hours ago with a 3 month termination. We were considering upgrading to the 12 month today but thankfully I didn't. I messaged them asking to extend me their 5 email day policy because we need to find someone within the next two weeks but I was booted. Like others, no explanation!

I'm reading all the reviews only to be amazed how many there are within the last 7 days.

The people that are responding to me are not reading my description and not available during my hours. Some are even rude.

One said if I needed a date night. My daughter is almost 16. I don't think so...

Tip for consumers: Seriously don't!! They will take your money and not tell you why

corettam1
8/9/18

Paid for a 3 month membership and the next day they terminated my account saying that they could with or without reason and it's in there terms and conditions. That's fine but not the absolutely next say. Reported them to BBB. I want a refund

julier233
8/7/18

why do you people scam people into paying for a service that does nothing to deliver?? you're making a killing while people are doing without jobs

carolyna64
8/5/18

Care.com will continue to charge you everything 3 months without notice. BEWARE. Make sure you downgrade or better yet, CANCEL, or even better, don't use them at all.

gloriad11
8/1/18
• Updated review

Just out of curiosity, I checked to see if the 3-time violent felon we inadvertently hired through Care.com in 2014-2015 was still working as a senior caregiver through Care.com.

Yes, indeed. The felon has returned to the state in which they were convicted and incarcerated for 4 (not 3 as I previously stated) years. They are working there under their real first name and last initial, posted on Care.com as a senior and child care provider.

Perhaps some people would think that having served their time in prison, this individual could be rehabilitated and safely rejoin the workforce. But this individual was arrested again while working for us, which we only discovered when we were preparing to fire them.

And they engaged in exploitative and abusive activities during the months they helped us care for the senior in our family, both towards the senior and other family members. We fired the person, who did not disclose their criminal background when hired, and worked with our local police when they then threatened our family members.

So while ex-cons should be rehabilitated, having someone like this working as a senior or child caregiver is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. There are behavioral characteristics that may re-emerge in the home care-giving setting and that could seriously threaten elders, children and families.

The person's criminal record did not show up on the Care.com background check we originally had done because it was in a different state and Care.com did only a background check for the state we are in.

The criminal record did show up on a national background check we had done when we were preparing to fire the person, and it was right there on the internet all the time, under the person's name, on public websites like www.rapsheet.org that contain criminal records of individuals. The additional arrest while working for us came up under the person's name on a local news channel report, when we searched the internet.

Of course ex-cons should work, but in many cases not in fields dealing with vulnerable seniors or children or the disabled. The risk of additional abusive behavior is too great.

The lesson here is that you must do your own thorough background check, because Care.com and other sites advertising caregivers and background checks for caregivers do not screen those listing on their sites or do effective background checks.

Start your research with a simple web search on the person's name and perhaps their address, other states in which they have lived, etc. Check the public websites that list criminal records. Be suspicious of someone suddenly working or wanting to work in your state who has come from another state. Then use a payroll service, LiveScan or a private investigator or some other credible method to do a thorough, national background check. Pay attention to what the background check says. Even tax problems, indebtedness and other financial issues that an individual may have can become problems in the home setting.

The time and money you spend doing this thorough investigation will save you grief - and possibly abuse or worse.

By the way, we go much further than simply background checking, now. We usually don't hire anyone for our care needs who doesn't have relevant and current certifications, including RN, CNA or LVN certifications. This means they have some professional training and have had some supervision and are not simply portraying themselves as a caregiver without having proper credentials.

“serious felon passed their background check - update 3 - new charge on my credit card!”
10/1/15
• Previous review

Long-time care.com member, blue-chip employer of caregivers for a senior. A serious felon passed their background check for in-home care - carjacking, armed robbery, just released from 3 years in prison.

If that wasn't enough, two years later after a good relationship with care.com in the interim, they suddenly terminated our membership for no reason. They won't discuss it or reveal their reasons for terminating. There is no reason - we haven't done anything wrong, have paid our bill regularly, etc. Didn't even criticize them about the felon - just changed our method of doing background checks. ???

Seems quite nutty.

10.10.15 update - I guessed that a caregiver we'd recently employed had retaliated against our family by making false claims leading care.com to terminate our account. We had not complained to care.com about this person or asked that the person's care.com account be terminated.

With this hypothesis, I provided care.com with a statement about our experience with this former caregiver, indicated that I thought we were being retaliated against, and asked for our account to be reinstated. I was apparently right about why our account was terminated, because I got an immediate email from care.com stating that the former caregiver's account at care.com had been terminated. I had not asked for this action or any action against this former caregiver.

In trying to determine who was retaliating against us, I also provided care.com with other names of caregivers who could be retaliating. I was immediately notified by care.com that one of these people's accounts on care.com had been terminated. I had also not asked for this or any action against the former caregiver.

So to distill what I experienced, it appears that any unverified complaint, or any negative mention at all, about either a service consumer or service provider on care.com, results in the target of the negative information having their care.com account terminated. The negative information cannot have been verified, and the targets cannot have been allowed to present their side of the story, because the termination of accounts by care.com happens immediately following a complaint or negative input.

This appears to be a care.com corporate policy, perhaps to weed out troublesome members, going seriously wrong. There is no verification or dispute resolution process, simply immediate termination of membership by the company if there is any negative feedback.

This will present care.com with some serious problems, not only with customer relations, but they are opening themselves up to possible discrimination actions since there seems to be no legitimate basis for their termination of members' accounts. The complaints being made could accuse other members of anything at all - being tall, being disabled, being elderly, being gay - and care.com can be making its termination decisions on that basis.

This policy can also prevent taking legitimate actions against individuals, such as the felon who lied on her job application, for fear that such people could retaliate by contacting care.com and saying whatever they like, whether truthful or not, and have one's care.com account terminated by the company on that basis.

Our care.com account has not been reinstated, despite my repeated requests to the company to do so. We have done nothing at all wrong, and have been a premium member of care.com in good standing for several years.

Update 2 - Having had our account terminated without cause from care.com, we advertised on our local craigslist. In one day, we found an incredibly qualified new addition to our household team. Escoffier-trained chef, nutritionist, etc. who is perfect for us. We do our own background check through our ADP payroll service. So much better than care.com.

1.31.16 Update 3 - OK, you guessed it. They threw me off the site, and I just found a new $140.00 care.com charge on my credit card - 6 months later! Wow, this company just gets worse and worse. Reporting it to my credit card company as fraud . . . And still doing great with our caregiver NOT recruited through care.com.

bobs539
7/29/18

All I have read is true. This company is robbing money from innocent people looking for a job. The worst is these scammers have managed to force you to their site when you try to apply to Indeed.com or other legitimate websites. If it doesn't seem right, it's not. Nothing in life is free. My advice is free. DoNot Go to this site for any reason. It video cost you thousands of dollars hence the bad ratings

kayc117
7/23/18

Did not expect to pay to look for work.. defeats the purpose. I'm poor. trying to find work where I can make money!? Account Deleted.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're sorry to hear you're disappointed, Kay. It is free to create an account and apply to jobs. However, we do require that at least one of the party be a paying member to exchange messages on the site. Which also means families with Premium membership are able to reply to your application even with your free account if they wish to.
brittanyh93
7/23/18

They do not handle things correctly . They will allow families not to pay you. I had a family that owed me and they did absolutely nothing to help me

francesl39
7/23/18

Their customer service is not very bright. I will never use them again. They allow reviews on your ad and you can't respond.. and the referrals are irritated by care.com , so when you do a follow-up, the parents are very rude to you are simply don't answer. No way ,I'll stick to Craigslist

lilys76
7/20/18

Just realized that after cancelling online in 2014 they've been charging my credit card 81 dollars 4 times a year. I used them once the caregiver I hired showed up for 2 days then disappeared. Literally DISAPPEARED. Her family and the police were in my home because as far as they knew she was last known to be in my house. Turned out she ran off to L.A. to meet someone she hooked up with online. I cancelled then but never cancelled the card. Big mistake on my part. Stay away from this site!!! If there is a class action suit or litigation of any kind I'm in.

karenf257
7/20/18

Signed up for a 3 month term which had an auto renew clause. I am a pretty savvy online user and the auto renew was not all obvious. Never received any qualified candidates. To stop the billing and constant emails is a exercise of persistence. I would recommend you never sign up for any of their services, free or not.

cordc
7/20/18

I could ramble at length about what a horrendous company care.com is but if you dare wander down that wretched road they offer, buyer beware. Caregivers profiles are not legitimate. They will not communicate with you past the initial message. You will not find a caregiver on this site and they will happily take your money. Then they will cancel your membership. All the customer service is from India and they know nothing about the evil company for which they work. Take my experience as a warning and avoid care.com.

mahinj
7/18/18

I've got so many useless response for my job posting and I hired one old lady as nanny and didn't know that she was still looking for another job for more and more money. She quit the job after working at my home for few days. Applicants are not committed, either they're old ladies or very young girls as babysitter.
I'm not going to use the site again and never recommend to any of my friends.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
I apologize if you had a negative experience with us, Mahin. I can understand how frustrating this can be. I suggest leaving a review on the caregiver's profile to share with your experience with them to other families that might be interested in hiring them. If you need further assistance, please email us at careteam@care.com. We are also on Facebook and Twitter. Best wishes!
rahimp
7/16/18

I posted on the site as Im a single father I do have a misdemeanor and A DWI that I got over 15 years ago . AGAIN 15 years ago and they cancel my account
But reguardless the people that post on the site is extremely expensive , $20-$25 an hour you can find better people on Craigslist & indeed for descent people
Beware not to use this company as they are not good st what they do at all dont let the name fool you

hannahn25
7/15/18

I have been on the care.com to look for nanny jobs for 6 years now and got jobs through the site, but last Tuesday I got a email saying they terminated my membership through the site. I was so upset so I tried an old account and it worked but then I got locked out and it said you cant have access to this site anymore or even get a new account with a new email? I actwully dont understand because I did nothing wrong and in their policy they cant tell me why I got terminated. Overall this site is just terrible for that I think. I had some good job opportunities coming up and sadly I cant contact those people anymore and it is really frustrating.

charolettea1
7/14/18

Dear Care.Com,

I have not been able to find any work through your establishment. I am very disappointed to due the fact that I can't reach a Customer Service Agent from Care.Com to get technical help or just asking a simple question to get a simple answer. You are happy to take my money, however, you do not seem to care if I need help.

I want to cancel my account, and I'm sure it will be difficult to do that since every other step on your site has been difficult.

The Job's you are sending me are generic.

I do not have the time to sit in front of this computer and try to figure out how to do everything. I have wasted time and money here. Sincerely,

Can't seem to send this email since my phone number is not a valid UK phone number.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
So sorry you're having issues with your account, Charlotte. We'll be happy to assist you with your concerns, please email us at careteam@care.com. We're also on Facebook and Twitter if you need immediate assistance.
annem297
7/14/18

People apply to your posting without looking at it first. I have had COUNTLESS applicants who I have taken the time to set up interviews and some who I actually interviewed. Then after all that work they say they cannot work the schedule you posted. Many of them the schedule was even reiterated several times so I wouldnt waste my time and they expressed understanding only to tell me right before interview or after a job offer they cannot work the agreed schedule. Very irresponsible people who dont care about your needs. They dont seem to know that they are applying for a job just like you would anywhere else.

anuk8
7/10/18

Ive been a paid member about three weeks now and im not sure how legit this site really is actually. I went on one interview and they asked me to sit for them. But it seems there are scams on here! I already caught three beware of someone claiming their deaf there was a woman emailing ill send you a fake check scam. Then a guy same MO deaf send me a check. Prob counterfeit check. I will not renew there are way too many scam people posting ads on here. I was kinda suprised i thought this was a legitimate place to find matches. Im better off advertising my services elsewhere.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
Sorry to hear about your experience, Anu. Unfortunately, these types of scams are all over the internet- I encourage you to check out this article from the Safety Center on the site about detecting and avoiding these types of scams: http://tinyurl.com/mo787wz.
sherylb42
7/10/18

I have paid their $20 prime membership fee (only way you will ever get a response to your job search) and have spent all week emailing their support team to please move my caregiver profile from their petsitter profiles to their caregiver profiles area so that I can search and apply to the new jobs as a caregiver. They are either refusing to or are inept at performing this simple request, and there is no option for me to change the "type" to from petsitter to caregiver/care provider on their type list choices. They will not refund any portion or the entire $20 I paid for prime membership either. "Its automated for your convenience" like anyone beieves that! It would be superb of this organization to insert the human factor into the equation to assuage the total irritation they are handing me on their silver platter.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
So sorry for your frustrations, Sheryl. You would have to add a service profile for the category you'd like to apply to. Here’s how to add another service profile to your account; log into your Care.com account > Click the Account & Settings link on the left-hand side of the page > Scroll down to "My Services" and find "Add a Service" below your existing service title
On the drop down menu > click the arrow to view the service category choices > Click the service you’d like to add so that it remains visible in the box > Click "GO". Unfortunately, this is not a feature offered on our Mobile App at this time. To add a service profile to your account, you will need to log into your Care.com account using a computer. I hope this is helpful and if you need further assistance, you can reach us on Facebook and Twitter.
1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B.

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R.
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M.

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K.

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d.

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L.

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H.

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H.

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G.
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

16 Photos for Care.com