Review of Care.com

Waltham, MA 02451
Tel: 877-227-3115

miket187
12/10/17

This site is a scam. They want you to pay to look for services on the site, which should let you know that its a racket. Try thumbtack or many of the other websites for the same thing and free!!

lisac372
12/8/17

At the cue from a peer, I posted a profile on Care.Com and paid for over a year for a premium membership. I am highly credentialed and qualified and applied to hundreds of positions that were applicable. I have received less than 2% legitimate responses in return. As a paying member, you are *SUPPOSED* to have applications go to the top of those received by the advertising client. HA!! What I have received are MANY bogus job ads from scammers who's accts close immediately afterward.

I have had so many unresolved issues w/ Care.com that I really wonder if this is a legit company. Perhaps an investigation by States Attys General is in order?
#Classactionlawsuit

ericr124
12/7/17

Very expensive, and feels scammy as prices are so high, if they had a slick opperation prices would be much lower.

bradf248
12/7/17

If you are looking to hire an illegal alien the care.com can definitely hook you up. Their website is horrible, the use policy is from a foreign country and should be challenged in a court of law. Do not use this site.

karenh282
12/7/17

This is the most worthless site ever. I was posting to hire someone for a job. Ended up using Craigslist and cancelling my subscription. The candidates they tried to refer to me in no way made sense. Terrible site!

rachelh132
12/2/17

Care.com has been nothing but a thorn in my side. I'm a college student and I was just looking for a way to make some extra money on the side. However, I was approached online by someone who needed a personal shopper, and she mailed me a check for over $3000 dollars. IT WAS ALL A SCAM. I knew that it was too good to be true. When I tried to reach out to Care.com, I waited over an hour to talk to customer service and they acted like they didn't know that scams were going on. When I called the company from whom the check was sent from, the lady I was talking to said it had been going on for years. You would think that a company as big as Care.com would maybe warn future employees of something that scandalous. Very disappointed that no one from Care thought to call me or apologize to me for everything that happened. Would not recommend it to anyone.

jillianj12
12/1/17

They are the worst case of large business with bad practice! They have ZERO customer service and it took me 1 hour to reach their customer service! They don't have their phone number on their website (where I spent 20 minutes looking) so I had to scour the internet to find a working one! I finally found it with Google! There "customer service" number goes directly to the Philippines, where they do nothing!! They sign people up with the option of a month membership and if you buy this option they will continue to charge you until you call to cancel! With my 1 month membership I also joined for a premium membership for the same month. This makes sure that our ad is "scene" boldly for 30 days. After 2 weeks they "closed" my job. I called to find out why and they said that each job has an expiration date and mine was 2 weeks. I said to the women that it was ridiculous that they would charge me for a one month premium membership only to close my job after 2 weeks! She talked in circles and then said it is their policy that they cannot credit my account with the lost time! They refused to give me 2 weeks free to compensate for the 2 weeks that the ad was not posted! I tried to ask for a supervisor and was disconnected. I called again and after explaining my story AGAIN, was told that they needed to take my information to pass along to a supervisor! I never heard back! Also, please notice that when you go to the Care.com site to find employees, many of the candidates are having their "friends" sign up to leave reviews! Most are obvious! Not only have I noticed the SAME reviews on multiple applicant accounts but I also heard this from 2 that I interviewed (before my job was closed). With their permission, I did a background/driving record check on both candidates. I found that one had a suspended license and the other's background was fine. After speaking again with this candidate I found out that she was accepting unemployment welfare, rent $ and food stamps. I would understand that necessity but this women gave me references dating back 8 years for full-time employment cleaning houses!! Care.com only wants your money!!!

raymondt27
11/30/17

how many times do you have to cancel before they stop charging your card, going on 3 months and they charge tax on basic subscription, STAY AWAY there are better sites, read the reviews,

jkk7
11/29/17

I live in a rural area where not a lot of people are likely to respond to those looking for care. So what does care.com do? They make it mandatory to pay them in order to respond to a pet care wanted request. I watch the same ad sit there for weeks without the position being filled because care.com thinks it's a good idea to make people pay in order to respond. They gave me a lame excuse about listening to their users, but that is certainly not applicable to the area I live in. Maybe their paying users want exclusive rights to these jobs, but they are not getting filled where I live.
I also never, never get a response to the other type of ads I respond to, so I really wonder if this site is worthwhile to anyone but the company running it.

gloriad35
11/29/17

i have been on this site for over 5yrs i applied too over 100 jobs here on staten island ny i even subcribed no calls, i emailed customer service told them the problem no help is anyone else having this problem i have over 20 years experience,whats the problem?

abbim1
11/28/17

Beware! Their one-off £10 payment comes out monthly WITHOUT authorisation and you cannot stop it. We have had to cancel our credit cards and I know at least one other carer who has had to do the same. They are uncontactable and completely fraudulent. Avoid like the pox!!

stevej178
11/24/17

What seems like a great idea is, in reality, a very poor service. There are a few carers on there, but it's fair to say the company will spend more time emailing you, trying to convince you to take out another month's subscription, than they will soliciting new carers. Believe me, you'll be emailed every day with some new discount, trying to get you to come back - only to find that nothing has changed. And in the meantime, the geographic calculations they use to find 'nearby' carers is poor, selecting people who are so far away as to be utterly pointless. I've since lost track of how many times I've ticked 'unsubscibe' and asked for them to stop contacting me. It makes no difference - I'm still getting emails every day, sometimes twice a day. Seriously, there has to be something wrong with a care site that offers you a 50% discount to come back. Personally, I think they're desperate, and spend far too much time trying to scam people into joining back up.

mathildam2
Mathilda M.
11/22/17

I suppose technically I'm wrong because buried in the fine print is a term/agreement that says the purchase signs me up for automatic subscription renewal. I find it to be an unethical business practice to not make that fact plain and clear. I purchased what I thought would be a three month subscription and today, three months later, my card has just been charged again. There is no phone number to call, and even if there were, the fine print is on their side. I'd bet 50% of their monthly revenue comes from unsuspecting people like me and that is not okay. I've learned my lesson. I'm sorry they're going to dup so many others that haven't learned theirs yet.

amyf84
11/22/17

ive wasted so much time on this $#*! site im not even going to put effort into this review. $#*! website.

jimj133
11/21/17

Not using this site...sorry, my review is simply to warn that prepare to pay for this. I thought, great, I'll check it out but first step, enter in personal (okay, nothing super personal but more than I'd care to just float into the internet). Then taken to the pay options screen. So now, before I even have the option of knowing price, I've already submitted my personal information. This should be the other way around! Anyway, based on this lackadaisical handling of my personal info, the poor reviews, the seemingly overdone process, and the price, this is not the site nor service for me.

stephenc137
11/20/17

After unsuccessfully trying to find the "FINE PRINT" on the Care.com website I decided to JOIN FOR FREE. Creating a Care Plan is a thorough (and time intense) process but I successfully Posted an Ad for a Caregiver. I received a response the next day. So far so good! The BAD NEWS is this is all you get for FREE! To contact the Caregiver requires UPGRADING to the PAID PLAN. WHAT is the point of JOINING FOR FREE other than to con the applicant into spending considerable time and effort to create a Care Plan, POSTING AN AD, and then betting that the applicant will, as a result of this time and effort, agree to purchase a PAID PLAN? This was sufficient to CLOSE MY ACCOUNT and shop elsewhere.

katv11
11/18/17

My husband is in law enforcement and i work for the county. We are both upstanding citizens in our community and do many benefits for charity. We were in need of a babysitter and saw care.com. they declined us with no reason. I laugh as i write this because if you are going to decline someone, you better back up those claims. I tell everyone not to use this site. The only way i can hurt them is through their pocket. Use indeed.com as an alternative. You`ve been warned

lorij42
11/14/17

THis site matched me with my job with adelmo homehealth...great opportunity awesome company. Professional...training provided and a careteam that truly does care.i feel very privileged to work for adelmo.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
That's great to hear, Lori! Thanks for sharing :)
pamelaw76
11/12/17

First time user who upgraded membership to hire a babysitter for date night. After communicating with the sitter and her agreeing to the job, I received a strange text at the time she was supposed to arrive at my house saying her gps was giving wrong directions and she couldnt help us. Called her phone 5 times and it went straight to voicemail. Texted her directions to my house when previously she said she knew where it was located. My husband called her and she said she wasnt coming and hung up on him. Neither one of us could get an explanation or any further response from her. Very shady actions by her and upset this person now has our address and contact information. Very leary about this service and the quality of people allowed to pose as caregivers.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're so sorry this happened, Pamela. I can understand how frustrating that can be. Do you mind sending us an e-mail at careteam@care.com with the name of the caregiver you interviewed so we can take a further look? Thanks so much!
amberj54
11/10/17

If this is a nanny care service website, they are going about it in a deceitful, fraudulent way. The basic level of membership will not allow you to contact or hire anyone that you are interested in. Basic membership only allows you to place an ad and view candidates. If you want to ACTUALLY hire or contact, you must additionally pay for the the 3 month membership and they will keep billing you until you track down their idiosyncratic process to cancel. This is ridiculously dishonest.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're so sorry you feel this way, Amber. I will make sure you pass this along as feedback. Best wishes!
kerrym76
11/10/17

A a retired Child Occupational Therapist, you'd think I'd have gotten some offers by now! I am only 55 and wanted to care for 1-2 children at their homes. Instead, I've gotten scammed twice (didn't fall for either one-one tried twice!), tried to have 2 people make reviews for me and both times, their reviews didn't take, I've tried to go on the forum and ask about the reviews and can't send the question! I'm starting to think I have to pay as well to get any thing done! Which isn't right! Kerry

rn40
11/9/17

Cate.com is all about selling more services to you. Once you have paid for a subscription you would think that they would respect you as a paying customer and provide service without always trying to get you to pay more. Not true with Care.com. You cannot send a caregiver your phone number because they want you to use their communication service and a care giver cannot send you their phone number. Numbers are censored and messages deleted without warning. Its horrible. Also the greedy people at Care.com constantly bombard you with messages to pay your caregivers through them for a fee and even threaten you with constant warnings that you have to pay taxes for your care givers, so consequently you should use their service for a fee to pay those taxes. Worse yet is that the large majority of caregivers listed on Care.com are not available. They retain old listings for years to inflate their numbers. Maybe only 20% are actually new listings. Based on their censorship and greed, It appears that Care.com is not a reputable company. Sittercity is better, but I hope another more honest firm enters the market in s big way to compete with both of these companies sometime soon!

annr76
11/8/17

A mother of a 6 year old boy was so completely impossible to work for that I discontinued working for her after 5 days. Believe it or not, it was not because her son smeared his poop on the back inside door of my car. He put his finger up his butt hole to dig out poop & smear on the inside of my car door. He then violently kicked my car air vent, before taking off his seat belt. Even still, I was willing to continue to care for him because I still found him sweet & sensitive enough of the time & even though I told his mother that taking him in my care was no longer an option, she later talked me into trying it again the next week, which I did and all was fine about that.

The boy's mother firmly informed me that my description to her of what happened in my car was not how I was to talk to her. She said that using the word "disaster" was not acceptable. I apologized & figured I would do my best not to make her feel bad if something happened.

Of the five times I worked for her: two of the scheduled days she was not at the house at the agreed upon time & I was left waiting for her to arrive. She changed the agreed upon time for work several times -without notice, but I said nothing. She continually forgot schedules & details. I was alarmed to see her parking her car in the middle of the car lane at the school parking lot blocking/preventing other cars who may try to pull out of their parking stall, then chatting it up with the teachers prolonging a potential problem, and revealing her disrespectfulness. But the deal-breaker was when she began harassing me with endless extremely rude text messages. Very early on a day I was not scheduled to work for her, she began a plethora of harassing text messages:

Starting on a Monday at 7:46 in the morning, she began accusing me via text of losing the Target gift card & demanding why I didnt leave it at the same place as the last time? Not only did I leave it at the same place (with the receipt attached), but I texted her of this on that same day. It was ironic to see that my previous text to her detailed this, but she did not read it. A minute later she tells me its not okay that I let her son have it, & went on & on about how it is my responsibility to safeguard her things. A minute after that demanded that I also produce the Rubys gift card used that same day. I had already told her that day that the $15 balance was exceeded & the waitress never came back after I gave it to her. She apparently forgot & was sure that I had misused her card & began reprimanding me about my carelessness & accusing me that the balance was $25. She forgot that we used the card the previous week also. When I reminded her about that, she then accused me of not be truthful due to she found it highly suspicious that the $15 balance would be used up to the exact dollar amount as she found it hard to believe. I told her I just paid the rest in cash out-of-pocket. She then said she believed me, but reprimand me again for not giving her the receipt (that the waitress never gave me & I told about, but she forgot -again..). All this harassing texting was going on while I was on the phone with my brother who had a motorcycle accident the previous day & needed me to help him. I told her that I may need to visit my brother (out of state) to help drive him while he recovers from the surgery. She then said "Are you cancelling work for today?" She forgot that I work for another family Mondays, Tuesdays & some Fridays & that I was not scheduled with her till Wednesday -2 & 1/2 days away. She continued to ask me to work that Monday & the next day & I had to repeatedly let her know I was not available and had to keep reminding her of my schedule. Then she demanded to know why I would work Mon & Tues for another family, then leave town to help my brother on Wed. I told her that the pin that was put in his ankle prevented him from doing anything for 2 days. Then she wanted to know the time of my airline flight & insinuated I was lying to her. Not that it was any of her business; I let her know that I would be driving. She then said she found my cancelling for Wednesday (2 & 1/2 days notice) was unacceptable to her due to it was "...so last minute!".

I found all these 51 text messages in a just a few hours time to be extremely rude, obtrusive & disrespectful & decided to discontinue working for her. So, I had my friend return her house key with a note that I will be assisting my brother for several weeks off & on and I wish her the best, but I could not continue working for her. I had to change my cell # because she would not stop harassing me with crazy texts.

She complained to Care.com and they promptly cancelled my membership without notice or explanation. They did not reply to my inquiry, and to further complicate this, Care.com sent out emails to ALL MY CONTACTS stating my: "...membership has been closed because this member no longer meets the eligibility criteria for Care.com membership, has violated our Terms of Use, or because we have determined that he or she is not suitable to use our services. So now my potential jobs as well as my current clients are left feeling that I have done some horrible thing and are probably questioning my reputation"

I had to CHANGE MY CELL PHONE NUMBER because she would NOT STOP THE CRAZY TEXTING!

No business should be allowed to damage someones reputation this way. Just like everyone, they should be accountable for their actions.

kathyr101
11/8/17

It gives you an option of how much you would like to pay and based on their scale you can offer 15 dollars an up for house cleaning. I offered 20 per hour. They respond back with 25-35 hourly rate. Really? How many of years of schooling do you have to be asking for such high rate?
Also, they ask if you want to hear from companies and you say "no" and sure enough companies are contacting you.
And, guess what you can not even respond back without paying fees.
Crappy service.

josephineb17
11/8/17

What a stupid waste of money and time. They do NOTHING except list anyone who has a pulse for services. Everything s extra. They do NOTHING to vet or check on job seekers. Craigs list is a better choice

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B.

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R.
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M.

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K.

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d.

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L.

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H.

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H.

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G.
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Care.com