Review of Care.com

Tel: 877-227-3115
optout@care.com

jasminep37
5/18/18

Beware future and present customers. Care.com has this policy where you, as the customer, has to go into their site, to 'extend' a job you have posted, every few weeks, even if you purchased the 3 month, 6 month, etc. subscription. I learned this the hard way. I had paid in advance for three months, with my credit card. When I was looking through my account info, etc. I noticed that it said "job closes" on a date way ahead of the end of my subscription. In fact, one has to extend the job every 2 weeks, or guess what - none of the applicants can even see it. Also, be aware that most applicants (9 out of 10) of the ones I connected with, charge more than what they indicate on their profiles. A few of them told me that they were not the ones who posted the rate, but that care.com locked them into it. Whatever is going on with that company, I feel their practices verge on fraud, especially because there is no indication anywhere on their site, nor in the payment part of the process, nor within the confirmation of the subscription, which tells the client that one needs to renew the job every two weeks, or it automatically closes. Get this, though - they don't mind renewing the subscription (which they do clearly state) automatically at the end of every subscription deadline! YET - they will not leave the jobs posted until we, the clients, go in to close it ourselves. I sent them several communications on this subject, but they spin things and talk themselves out of the responses, justifying, albeit ridiculously, their reason for closing jobs before a client is ready to do so. How completely unethical and tell me, please, is this not a form of thievery?? Once again - beware of wolves in sheep's clothing - for this is what these people are.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site.

tiffanyg68
5/18/18

I paid for a one month subscription and found out that they have been taking money out of my account for the past six months. The only reason I found out is because they overdrew my account. A one month subscription is a one month subscription!!!!!!

jchristinab
5/17/18

I was on care.com for several years and had 9 Stellar reviews. I worked for a family for 15 months and when I ended the position they wrote malicious, false accusations about me on this site. They terminated me without speaking to me. I also emailed them a letter and was told they would do an investigation. NO ONE ever called me! They dont care about the truth! They lied about the investigation. And when you call no one speaks proper English. They even State and their terms and use of agreement that they don't verify anybody or their background so a pedofile can join this site and get hired and no one would ever know. Shame on care.com! This site should be shut down permanently!

kearak
5/17/18

First of all, who the heck wants to pay someone to create a profile and the only way to make it public is by paying them. Second of all their policies and guidelines are a load of crock. It was a waste of time and effort. Matter of fact, they deleted my profile for no reason and they even stated they do not need to give a reason to do so.

Not recommended to anybody. Very crappy.

sarahv23
5/15/18

I posted a job on Care.com and received 28 applicants in 3 days, which is amazing! I reviewed the applicants and chose 4-6 that I wanted to interview. As I messaged them through the site, some of them started responding to me, but then stopped responding at all, some never responded to me, and some of them set up interviews. 5 out of 6 applicants either cancelled at the very last minute or stopped responding to my messages altogether.

Additionally, I found it difficult to communicate outside of the site. There were a couple of out of state candidates that I wanted to interview through Skype or FaceTime, but when we tried to exchange phone numbers or email addresses, the site would block the email address and/or phone number.

Im so disappointed. I found a wonderful nanny on this site 2 years ago, but this time, I found the applicants to be very unreliable and communication outside of the website nearly impossible.

The flakiness and lack of response of applicants was so incredibly off putting that I ended up going with a daycare instead of a nanny and I cancelled my membership altogether. I now use the NextDoor app to find sitters and run my own background checks so that I can communicate with people normally.

atifa3
5/14/18

Parents or babysitters- this is a scam site that got famous. In the age of Uber n Airbnb this site charges hefty amounts from parents and babysitters just for introduction- not to mention fake background checks that is criminal and ultra-risky.

I am a parent and the quality of baby-sitters is very shady. There may have been a time quality would be their winning point. Today it is full of drunkards, dropouts, fugitives and minimum wage workers who kind find work in NY due to criminal history or laziness. Nevertheless lack of hygiene and disease prone baby-sitters. And they are looking to paid price points of software engineers.

Not that they shouldnt be employed but the info should be transparent plus not at these price points. Burger flippers are not baby-sitters. It is a professional industry of responsibility, respect and repute. You entrust your most valuable and dear children. Care.com must be shut down immediately. I will report them everywhere- they blocked my account after I reported an abusive baby-sitter.

larrynr
5/10/18

They want you to pay so much money just to even book a sitter job. It is really frustrating, they obviously don't want to provide the parents and kids with services.

amybethc
5/6/18

I PAID $44.95 tp upgrade to premium member & i had been hired for a few jobs within that 3 month time. I had received 5* reviews & been called back by customers to continue working for them. Unfortunately I answered a job post re: helping someonr move light boxes. I didn't receive full payment but had no reason to doubt the honesty & integrity of this woman. She told me CARE.COM told her she was well within her rights not to pay me. CARE.COM TERMINATED my membership wiyhout explanation . and NOW i see THEY had the balls to charhe my cc for another 3 months membership AFTER THEY TERMINATED MY MEMBERSHIP . SO between NOT being paid for a job I did in full & $ charged by CARE.COM I'm out $94.95
THEY SHOULD BE ashamed of their actions. BUT apparently NOT

sonjap12
5/5/18

I used a promo code to get the service for three months - Needed a house cleaning service. No good leads, background checks are very expensive and definitely not included. The information provided is no better than, actually not even as good as, a newspaper advertisement. Rude customer service too. They offered to refund me approximately 15.00 and downgrade me to one month????? In other words steal money from me as a way of helping me out of their poor service and false advertisements???????? Horrible

susanm546
5/4/18

I used care.com for 3 consecutive years for free of charge and found employment through it. Now I am in need of help for my mother and they want charge just to look at potential candidates? What a shame.

kathleenc130
5/3/18

I paid my money and iired to contact a potential caregiver. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the contact. I thought that setting an appointment meant they would call me. Then realized they had replied to accept the time for me to call them, but care.com did not notify me of their reply. I tried to phone, but got a message referring me to me profile to see if I was using the correct phone number. I finally figured out that I have to unblock my number to use their system. Now I have no way to make another appt with this person for a phone call. The website has no clear instructions about how to proceed and their email responses to questions are useless and appear to be canned responses that do not reflect the questions asked. They will not refund my money. Stay away. It is a scam.

kimt127
5/3/18

The site is terrible. You have to pay to view jobs. It never used to be this way and obviously they don't care about all the complaints. Forget it and stay clear. The site should be called "I DON'T CARE.COM.

theresam63
4/30/18

Seriously, people here are complaining that no one hires them. I do not mind paying for background checks or payroll services/tax services for household help, but charging me to review applicants is stupid. 8/10 applicants are not qualified or matched what I was seeking. I do not want a college student looking to make a buck while they are on break. Bad business model.

candacer19
4/29/18

I have 22 years of stable employment history as a nanny. I am basically Alice from the Brady Bunch except I have a college degree and I speak fluent Italian. Since I have only two previous domestic employers (I stayed with each family until the kids were grown) I have no ratings or reviews on Care.com. It's a system that rewards job hoppers. I wasted a lot of money on this website, thinking I would get a placement. I don't recommend it for anyone else. I recommend a nanny referral agency instead.

aprilg41
4/22/18

I took a break from doing administrative d work to be a nanny. I was working for one single father that ended up sexually harassing me and following me so I quit. Care.com terminated my account and would not tell me why and would not allow me go speak with a manager. They would not hear my side of story. I also kept getting charged on my credit card for background checks even after my account was closed . I had to have my cc company block them. I am forced to go back into admin field and get hurt through a temp job and now I'm out of work and have workers comp lawyer. You can't win. Anyway care.com customer service scks. Half the time if you call you can't get a live person it keeps going to same cycle. They shouldn't be allowed to do business they should be shut down. And to close your acct you should have the write to know and be able to discuss with a manager . Do not use this site they are scammers.

lindsayg39
4/21/18

If you want to use anything on the site you have to pay.
-Background check - PAY
-Post a listing - PAY
-Accept a message - PAY

I did the background check and I got a confirmation that it was complete in less than 24 hours. Every other LEGIT employer I've had has had to wait 3-5 days for a comprehensive background check - but if you are going to care for pets, children, and the elderly it takes less than 24 hours? I don't think so.

The messages I did get from people seeking care were all scammers too. All the other one star reviews are correct too!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! THIS PLACE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THE DESPERATE!

susanm428
4/20/18

Firstly they charged my credit card more than 5 times in one year. I searched and searched for an email for them (eventually found it membercareCA@care.com -at least in Canada), they refunded one payment and blamed me. I have begun to think some of their profiles are not real.

julies353
4/19/18

I wouldnt even give them one star. awful company. no customer service representatives available to talk to. Just a number that sends you in circles. Stay away.

emilyb173
4/17/18

I was scammed before I had been a member for even 24 hours. I received several messages requesting my resume and I happily (naively) sent it. After receiving the exact same creepy email from every single account, I realized I had been scammed. And now they have my address (which was on my resume). Care.com notified me that the accounts had been closed, but would not provide the reason. I'm feeling very creeped out. Luckily I did not get so far as paying/giving my card info. I'm just a 21 year old college student trying to make some money this summer walking dogs, and I feel cheated.

cjc16
4/13/18

After paying $156 for 12 months I booked Lisa S. And also sent her a message...or thought I did. Come to find out. It goes to the company, not the caregiver. She never showed up and now I have to make a huge adjustment for care tonight. It took me 2 hours to get a human on the phone and she told me I didn't book anyone. What?! I paid $65 for it! She told me she found something...after asking what type of card I used...uh oh. She said the caregiver hasn't answered her message (duh) and I just had to wait. I told her no I didn't, give me my money back now! She says she can downgrade me to the basic, even though I upgraded to Premium. Nope, I want a full refund. Puts me on hold. Comes back and says she'll make this one time exception and I'll see it in 72 hours. No! Today, I said. The 72 hours is the contractual obligation that I would have to pay for this month because I just signed up today. No, I want a full refund today, ok she says. And I'll see an email, so she says. We'll see if I get one. Be weary of this company. I understand the caregivers have to pay for membership for their jobs too. What a scam!

franks294
4/13/18

I had an appointment with Jasmin for 1:15 PM today Friday the 1`3th. She did not show
so I don't think I will be using your company any longer. Unreliable personnel.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
So sorry this happened, Frank. I suggest writing a review on Jasmin's profile to share your experience with other families who might be interested in working with her. We wish you all the best, Frank!
maryk413
4/11/18

SCAM. i have nothing good to say! they make you pay to use it and you cannot do anything really. its the most disappointing thing, all i wanted was a job to get a little extra cash and i cant even do that on here.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!

beths166
4/10/18

I have used Care.com for years and I have never had a problem applying for jobs until now. Now the system will not allow the prospective employers to respond to my application unless I upgrade to their monthly charge. I am allowed to apply, but once I do, the person I applied to cannot answer my note of application. I'm very disappointed that this has happened.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
Hi Beth! Families with Premium membership are able to reply to your application if they wish to, only one party has to be a paying member in order to exchange messages on the site. Best of luck on your job search!
stacyl83
4/9/18

Find a different company!! They are happy to charge your credit, however you can't message caregiver (was looking for a tutor) and you are unable to message applicants and it took me almost a week to get in touch with "customer service". The make their phone number hard to find so you have to email - which I did, never heard back. Stay Away from this company!!!

kadeshaf
4/8/18

- CHARGES sitters to apply for jobs
- Does NOT allow sitters to review parents
- Customer service is not helpful

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B.

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R.
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M.

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K.

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d.

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L.

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H.

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H.

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G.
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Care.com