Review of Care.com

Tel: 877-227-3115
optout@care.com

billj229
4/16/19

Mainly its about them continuing to charge me after I thought it was a one time deal. Here's a message I sent them.
"So I missed the detail that if I didn't cancel you would continue to charge me. I guess I failed to check my bank statements. But you couldn't have made all this clear or I would have caught it - pretty shady IMO. I plan to cancel in June when this 3 month period is ended. I finally got to my account, which wasn't by the steps you show below. I see you've got me for over $120 for services I never used. If everything was on the "up and up" I would have known I needed to cancel. In fact, and I wish my recollection was better, I think there's a good chance I did request cancellation or your presentation was such that I thought it was a one time deal. Maybe you made all that clear in your vast presentation. It looks to me like you made the presentation vast to intentionally get people to over look the recurring charges."

doran9
4/15/19

In attempting to get jobs through this site, I had a few possible clients try to contact me, and then as soon as I went to respond was informed that I needed to join via a monthly fee to respond. Once I coughed up the $30 fee- I received zero asks. Of course once I canceled the membership- suddenly I was very popular. And once I logged on... aw shucks! Can't read the blurred out contact info unless I rejoin. So disheartening that a website for those who want to "give care" is rife with scams and upwelling by the company.

dianaa114
4/15/19

I paid for advertising for my Daycare. I only signed up for a one month add. I kept getting billed each month after and kept trying to reach someone and got a run around. Not only are they not refunding my $300 but couldn't even hire anyone that did apply. This is not the first problem I had from them, but will be the last.

sahinr
4/13/19

We paid for a month because we needed a babysitter. They have been charging us since then. Sick of disputing !!

cinthiam4
4/13/19

They need to have more constant and incentive costs for private persons seeking caregivers. I have hired numerous caregivers from that site and I expect incentives such as lowered monthly rates taken off my card especially if I have hired their clients.

Secondly, they need to offer a more thorough background check for less money than $300.
Nowadays you can get that 300 background check that they conduct for about $125. They are making over 60% profit. The Care folks need to interview these caregivers better before giving them access to their paying clients and their clients loved ones. I have had individuals who steal and are shady . One caregiver threatened to sue my mother's estate when taxes were taken out of her check. Instead of her asking me about it at the time of her check because it stated in the info line how much taxes were removed. She failed to show up at her next appointed time, She abandoned her post. This same individual received incentives from my home like huge bag of recyclables. A similar bag yielded me $25-35. Mind you this was roughly what was held from her pay check (50), This person broke several dishes while working. Instead of her offering to pay for this mishaps she boldly stated you got to get plastic ware, I cant afford your stuff.

When I called Care to report the situation, they sent me a letter stating we are sorry for your experience get a mediator, we don"t do mediation. Fine but they sure sell you on their caregivers.

Tip for consumers: really interview and get to know your caregivers skills, personality and experience, Keep letting care know about any problems no matter what they do or say.

melissar291
4/12/19

My account was deleted because when they did back round check they didn't care that I was innocent of most of my charges. They refused to listen to me. And when I asked to speak to a supervisor about it, instead of calling me back supervisor just sent me an email.

marye399
4/12/19

They have different rates for how long you want to be a member so I chose one month for $40; 3 months would have been $60 so I was taking the risk that I'd be done after 1 month. What I didn't know is that they continue to charge your card monthly as if you wanted a subscription one of those fine print situations. They are also strict about refunds so I feel royally ripped off.

christinam301
4/11/19

I foolishly paid for all of Care.com's add on services when I joined. Paid extra for unlimited background checks and also for their assistance with figuring out nanny pay. I never was able to get a single background check completed. The nanny that I ended up hiring had to pay for her own background check despite the fact that my membership that I paid for should have covered it. There is no phone number to contact a person at Care.com to resolve these issues. I was sent back and forth between tons of online customer service people about my issues with being able to actually use the membership for unlimited background check service. Nobody helped me! They sent me around and around in circles! I also tried to use the service that I had paid for on how to pay my nanny and it was a scam. Basically a guy just trying to sell me a payroll service. Don't let them fool you into purchasing any of their extra services. Just get the basic membership. Get your nanny and get off!

matthewf175
4/10/19

Unless you like calling your credit card company to file stop payments and disputes don't hand them your CC information. Just look at the reviews here and on trust pilot, it doesn't paint a pretty picture about the trustworthiness of this company.

Their purchasing system is misleading, they'll take you through the ringer before indicating you have to pay, when you do pay it is unclear that it is a subscription service. When you realize it's a subscription service and contact them to cancel, they'll promptly ignore your requests. They attempt to hoodwink you every step of the way.

We submitted a request for a cancellation and a refund. Never heard back and sure enough months later are still being billed.

They'll cry that "if you look at our terms of service" etc but it doesn't explain why they feel justified in ignoring customers requests to cancel/refund.

Just stay away, and find another service.

samb355
4/10/19

This company needs to fold. It is preying on honest people with the moniker of "care" when it is nothing but bogus! I was looking for a dog sitter in a certain area. I carefully read each of the profiles provided and bookmarked 8 that fit my criteria and messaged them. Strange how not only did none of them reply, my messages were not even marked as seen. So I went back on my bookmarks to review their profiles to see if they have not been on in so long they were essentially expired, and what do I find?! Different profiles for each of the candidates I bookmarked showing the same people were now nannies and elder care givers and not dog sitters!! They lured me with false candidates to get my membership. Do not use this company!! There should be some protections for us besides giving reviews. Contact the Better Business Bureau and get this company closed.

romep5
4/9/19

I joined care.com 5 years ago...I am out of work ,and looking for a new one..excellent references...I spent hours online and I apply more than a 100 position without success..I found as well care.com fake a lot of those jobs profiles....care.com is a rip off ..we are good people looking for a job...be away of this site ...

josiem20
4/9/19

I have tried to hire nannies twice in the last 4 years through Care.com but finally ended up going with a REAL Nanny agency and getting amazing people.

I am mad at myself for even giving Care. com a second chance and wasting my money.
When I reached out to the potential Nannies on Care.com., over half of them were no longer looking for jobs and their posting were from years ago.

The other half either never responded and the rest were horrible qualified.
People can write whatever they want regarding their qualifications. It was ridiculous to see an 18 year posting that she had 10 years of childcare experience.

The few that I did attempt to hire, changed their tune about their availability. I felt like it was bait and switch so that they might get hired. Just to clarify my side. I needed a 8-5 nanny that would make 16.00 hour and 4 weeks off paid vacation , no taxes taken out.
The other crazy aspect of Care.com is that there are the SAME PEOPLE supposedly looking for jobs this year that were on the site 4 years ago when I was looking for my first Nanny and there were the same people .
Care.com never requires people to take there names down once they have been hired or if they are no longer looking for a job. This makes the look like they have a lot of choices for you when really only 1/4 of those people are available or want to be hired.
( My first nanny left because she got married and then move. )

maryh749
4/9/19

I joined Care.com because I'm out of work and need a job desperately. Spent hours online, first filling out their forms and making a resume etc. Then hours searching the job postings. Applied to a lot of jobs that looked perfect for me and my skill set. I've been waiting for weeks to hear from any employers. My second attempt to job search was blocked by the site demanding that I pay for a subscription in order to apply to any more jobs. What a fricking joke this site is. My advice to everyone out there is don't even bother. It's been a month now and I still haven't heard a peep from any of the jobs I was able to apply to on that first round of searches. The other reviews I saw today explained much. Not one good review, no wonder it wasn't working for me. I'm uninstalling today and will pass on what a lousy company they are to anyone I know who mentions them.

kathyv75
4/5/19

I think Care.com is a rip off to people looking for someone to help. I signed up for a 3 month membership only to discover their resources in my area are very limited AND they DO NOTHING for the monthly membership other than give you a few names. They have not background checked the people who are listed and if you want to do that through them they want more money. They nickel and dime "members."

I believe I would've found as many resources on my own just by getting the word out in my community.

Don't waste your money!

roberta685
4/4/19

I needed a baby sitter for TODAY, which is a clickable option on their website. After forcing me thru a registration process, and several screens of information, I get a message that my request for a babysitter will be posted to their message board within 24 hours...... WTF. I already told you I needed a sitter today, but you aren't going to find one today!!! Worthless option on your site. If you can't provide child care the same day, then don't give me that option. What a total waste of my time this morning!

shirleyj59
4/3/19

I signed up for Care.com hoping I would find someone who could use my services. I only have 1 client at a time and come highly recommended with great references. I applied for several jobs the first few days. Nobody even contacted me. But, I checked for new ads each morning and applied to all that I felt I could help with. Nothing. I googled why no one was responding lol! I ran across other people who were having the same problem as me, but still no answer, so I just kept applying. Yesterday, I decided to send an inquiry to the company itself. You have to pay the monthly fee to enable prospective "employers" to be able to send you a message! Unless, they pay the monthly fee, then they can reply. All this time (months), I thought it was me but couldn't understand it. All of my replies to ads were going nowhere I guess?
I mistakenly thought this was a sincere company wanting to help people. Bottom line, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is. I somehow thought they made money other ways I guess. I almost was to the point that I was going to pay the fee and see what happened. I sure will not. I do not condone any company that does business this way. It's almost like a "lost leader" old time scam.
Bait & switch, if you will.
If you intend on using their services, pay the money, because you will get no where if you do not.

wilmam24
4/3/19

This company is a big scam and fraud .. please do not fall for it !!! They took almost 200.00 from me and I never found a job or even got any responses They said a background check will help me so I got that and still not one response or reply ..why are they not being investigated ? I don't get it ...they don't care about you at all ... all they care about is getting your money ..

helenr132
4/2/19

Was terminated without reason after providing years of faithful service as a caregiver. Did not pay the membership, thank goodness I didn't.

melissab397
4/2/19

I was terminated without reason. I asked for the reason or an appeal... This was my answer.

As a membership-based online community, Care.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove a member's Care.com membership for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. If we terminate your registration, we have no obligation to notify you of the reason, if any, for your termination

lindseyl43
4/1/19

Care.com is a monthly subscription service. However, they do not provide you with any receipts of transactions or send confirmation when payments are made. A few months after signing up we discovered they had billed our card over $500 when the monthly rate was only $39. When we contacted the company they told us the additional charges were just temporary holds on the card and that they would be refunded. They never were so we had to get AMEX involved on fraudulent charges. Such a scam, and the worst kind, taking advantage of sick and elderly looking for help!

amandas519
3/30/19

So I signed up with care.com as a nurse, looking for some part time jobs. There are tons that fit within my times/availability etc. but am unable to contact them. I was told I had to pay the monthly membership. However the people hiring can't reply to my message unless they also pay the monthly fee. Needless to say, nothing has come from this and it's almost impossible to get them to stop charging you for an "automatic renewal"

vickyc62
3/29/19

Joined to find some work. Applied to 2 jobs since I it was stating free membership. The next day when I logged in I had an alert and it stated, you have messages to jobs you applied for yet they were blurred out. I was directed to pay for a membership to read. I did one for 1 month. NEVER had any messages. Applied for 12 jobs, got no responses yet the site claims "open" They are fake jobs for sure....I downgraded my membership which is up in April AND reached out by email to confirm and have already notified my cc company to watch for any more charges from them. Thank you all for letting me know what to do to avoid this. Side note to mention since I downgraded there has been NO new jobs. hmmm..Scam for sure...

jamiew205
3/26/19

Care.com is worthless. It's a complete waste of money. The app and website is not user friendly. Don't bother using Care.com. They take your money and do not help you. It's nothing but a scam. I singed up for a membership and was supposed to get "added benefits" and that was a total lie. I applied for several jobs and not one person replied back. I also have had several "inquires" from spammers. I have contacted Care.com to get a refund and I have yet to receive anything back.

anjaliv1
3/25/19

We have paid fees monthly to Care.com for 7 years. Never missed a payment. We didn't offer someone a job after she threatened us and walked out- and complained to them. Then, just like that, they terminated us!
How are we supposed to find care for our 3 kids? Meanwhile, the crazy woman who probably complained about us can still find work in childcare?
Terrible organization.

breannar9
3/24/19

They take your money and do nothing for you. They guarantee people will apply with in 3 days, it's beeen weeks nothing and don't really have any care givers it's a scam to get money. They are not professional at all.

Do NOT get an account!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B.

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R.
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M.

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K.

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d.

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L.

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H.

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H.

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G.
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

Care.com?