Review of Care.com

Waltham, MA 02451
Tel: 877-227-3115

lynns139
2/18/18

I joined in 2010. They used to be amazing and easy to use. Now, it's complicated and they charge for everything. I never had to pay before. I had a family try to communicate with me, and their phone system never worked. It's ridiculous.

mizzyf
2/18/18

I was hired by a family after I applied to ton of fake jobs. I worked for three days in a dirty environment till one day the smell of rotting food made me so sick I got sick at the house. The wife cussed me out and then kicked me out of the house. Then turns around and says I abandoned her kids! This family is crazy! I have also applied to jobs where single men have tried to lure me into their homes. This is not safe at all. This website is a scam and its dangerous. I should have looked at the horrible reviews. Background checks should be done on the families and home inspections before they are allowed to hire anyone. I should have known what I was getting into after this fat pig hired me. Stay away from this company. You will save yourself a ton of grief.

ullav
2/16/18

Do not even bother. I wish I had looked for reviews first. And if you have used it, then cancel and cancel your credit card that they were using. Total Fraud!! We signed up as parents looking for a care provider and although we received generic auto-responses from all over, not from anyone that had actually read our ad or that wanted the position.

lindai24
2/15/18

Second time Ive had billing show up that I had not authorized. You cant check account info, you cant access your payment info, virtually impossible to cancel! What legimitate company continues to bill you after you have repeatedly asked to cancel. They hide the auto renewal, assuming people dont check their cards. Read the reviews, overwhelmingly negative. Do not use.

is4338
2/15/18

Do not bother signing up for the premium service. They sneakily submit you to an auto-renewal program with zero warning or monthly billing statement for you to even notice. Out of 35 inquiries and 3 job postings I received 2 replies. For what I paid them I may as well have used a full service agency as it was a short term assignment I was trying to place. Most of all there customer service is atrocious.

paulh340
2/11/18

Do not sign up with them. If you decide to stop using their service they continue to bill your credit card and will not reverse charges. Forcing you to dispute charges with your credit card company. Pretty despicable business practice.

amandaj124
2/11/18

USERS BEWARE!!

I had been on care.com for about two years, maybe longer, and I recently became a PAID member and signed up for a 3 month membership. I then paid for a background check to attract more members. Imagine my surprise when only about 2 weeks into being a paid member, I receive an email saying my membership has been TERMINATED. No rhyme or reason because apparently they dont have to give you a reason why theyre kicking you off the site due to their terms of service. Funny, their terms of service don't mention anything about giving scammers your phone number as MANY MANY users have issues with.

This is the email I received,
"We are writing to inform you that we have terminated your Care.com membership.

Under our terms of service, Care.com has the right, among other things and in its sole discretion, to terminate your membership for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. In addition, Care.com is authorized by the terms of service to notify other members with whom you have corresponded of this action.

As indicated, Care.com may terminate a member for any reason or no reason. Accordingly, we have notified members that our decision to terminate your Care.com membership does not constitute and should not be interpreted or used as information bearing on your character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living." LET IT BE KNOWN that the email they send to anyone you've had correspondence with on care.com, they sent them an email letting you know 5 possible reasons you may have been terminated from the site, which despite them saying "should not be interpreted or used as information bearing on your character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living" it does in fact do just that. It scares the people you've been in contact with, which includes ANY family you could be currently employed with.

Im not able to post a photo (which Im sure is intentional on care.coms behalf) but my background check showed up an alternate name of Brittany Thomas. My name is Amanda Jennings and has always been that for my entire life. So theres some red flags with background checks for sure! Dont spend the money on it! When I confronted them about the OBVIOUS discrepancy, this is what they told me, "Hi Amanda, Thank you for sharing your concerns. The SSN Trace process picks up any alias names that may be associated with your SSN number.

As stated on your background check report, The SSN Trace compares the provided Social Security Number to credit header and public records data. This trace may locate possible alternative names or addresses associated with the SSN for the purpose of performing additional searches. The SSN trace is not conducted through the Social Security Administration and should not be used as the basis for any employment decision or confirmation of identity..

Although Sterling Talent Solutions SSN Trace found alternative names for you, it is simply part of the process and all criminal searches are clear. If you have any further questions about your background check results, you may contact Sterling Talent Solutions directly via email at clientservices_TW@sterlingts.com or by calling 877-982-9888.

If you want babysitting jobs, youre better off reaching out on local Facebook groups!!! Do NOT use care.com, its nothing but a scam.

ericb207
2/1/18

So for months have paid caregiver on this site with credit card that I do not have. Not sure how Care.com messed up the account to associate with another accounts card. Been trying to resolve for months...but their support is basically non-existent.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're so sorry this happened, Eric. Do you mind sending us an email at careteam@care.com so we could look into this? Thanks so much!
amyc213
1/28/18

I am a caregiver, I have over 15 years of experience as a caregiver. I have a very good resume including references from prior clients. I have reported to care.com an issue I find most disturbing. There are people advertising on care.com for nanny, caregiver, housekeeping. When I am contacted far to often, I am asked to pass a background check. I have no problem with this, however care.com offers this service. There are people insisting we have to provide personal information as to derive a background check. I have been finger printed and passed a background check completed by the DOJ. After passing the background check, I am then registered with the California Home Care Service Bureau. The registration is good for two years and then renewal is required.

Caregivers are working for families that lie about bad service as a justification for not paying the caregiver. Some of us have suffered abuse.

I received a bad rating from a member I never met. I have received a bad review from a member. At the interview I learned the family pet is a pitt bull. I never went to work for this person. However this person was allowed to provide a review and lie in their wording.

I receive contact from people stating they need care for a mother or father. What they request up front. Every name I have ever used, all my prior places of residence. Mother and fathers names.

I have contacted the care.com safety center, over twenty times in the past three years. No one has responded.

Care.com states they are not responsible for the action of anyone using their sight. If they are not responsible, then why have a what they call a safety team. Its a scam

chav6
1/28/18

I haven't used the site for several years. I decided to log back on, it has changed a bit. I decided to upgrade (I never did before sign up before)... I paid the upgrade $60 and the account still asks me to upgrade. My credit card was charged. So they took my $60 and my account is the same - NO UPGRADE. Thanks. I will be getting my refund through my credit card, or I will try. This shenanigans, I should have looked up reviews first.

*** wow! They issued my refund of $60. (within an hour) I thought I would have to fight for it or make a fuss with my credit card issuer. But yeah, so many bad reviews - I don't think I will bother with the site. I had not logged on since 2014.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're glad to hear you've received your refund, Cha. We're so sorry you had issues with your account, feel free to email us at careteam@care.com if you have other issues or concern!
lizt27
1/22/18

I am a form care.com caregiver and homepay recipient. I recently was hired for a job and it was a nightmare. Once letting the job go, I started to receive 1* ratings from the employer. I called care.com safety team to report it and the reasons I left the job. Massive senior neglect was happening to a degree in had never seen. Poor living conditions, no food, advanced dementia with no Am care for the client. On top of me leaving I reported it to APS. A hour after speaking to care.com my account was cancelled without my request. My username, email and password all deactivated without me asking to do so. I called back sat on hold for 2 hr plus minute and was hung up on when ask to hold again. All of my years of going through third party companies I have never had such a experience ever. Completely disheartening. So I called my local police to report the employer just in case her harassment continued to escalate. I have been off this job for 4wk and still get random text from her. I was never paid properly or reimbursed for the groceries I bought for the lady when she had no food and family was traveling in Europe. I was scammed and care.com did nothing despite my years of membership.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Liz. Safety is our number one priority due to the nature of our business and we are concerned with the allegations you mention about the family you've worked for. Can you send us an e-mail at careteam@care.com so our Safety Team can take a further look? Thanks so much!
rickp65
1/19/18

I did not even bother with this company, because they don't seem to "care" and they use that word in their name! Just read the reviews-I did as a petsitter in my community. If they changed their business model to a per job fee rather than a monthly fee-that doesn't make sense in relation to the number of opportunities...I "might" reconsider. Then one can look at all the "unreliable" comments, and the use of the word scam (based on no job responses) and one can quickly realize I don't need the aggravation that all these people are experiencing, I'd rather spend time caring for pets in my community. Rick P. Bentonville, AR.

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We appreciate your feedback, Rick. I'll make sure to share this with the right department on your behalf. We wish you all the best!
noho1
1/17/18

There's no comprehensive, logical manner of tracking the candidates and no intelligent, intelligible human to talk to about anything. If you find someone once, you'll never find them again.
Greatest scam site ever - they don't do anything resembling background checks, charge heftily for readily available background checks. Once ok, now rotten, and greedy.

corbbing
1/16/18

I hovered over the "buy points" button, then quickly moved the cursor away. It was nearly midnight, but I needed to make rent somehow. I looked at the success stories page again, quickly, then let out a sigh of relief. "I'll be one of them," I thought. "Who wouldn't want to hire me to walk their dogs?"

I figured if I put in all my money, I would have enough money from all of the jobs I would be getting.

I messaged every person available in my area. I spent 10-15 minutes on each message, hammering out each phrase, peering over each word, a keen eye on my grammar and spelling. I wanted each message to be carefully hand-crafted to win over the eyes of everyone looking at it.

I hit send, once again. My computer screen was the only light on the ever-growing rings I now had around my eyes. I waited, as my crappy DSL internet puttered away, only to be redirected to the "please buy more points" page.

I looked back at my credit card, sitting on my desk, stared at it for a moment, then put it away and close my computer.

Fast-forward, two months later.

Just as I had been doing, (and I should mention, doing religiously) I opened up my mailbox only to see the messages I had sent to jobs in my area, with no responses.

My landlady was at least understanding and allowed me to walk her two dogs 3 times a week to make rent. All I had to do, all along, was walk to the other room, knock on the door, and ask for the job I needed!

I have since put my money in a better place; the local casino, and so far I've won a brand new, almost neon Ferrari, to match the rainboots I would have been using to walk dogs.

Tip for consumers: Don't. For your wallet's sake. You wouldn't want it to get skinny and shrivel away, would you?

Response from Jennifer M., Care.com Representative
We appreciate your feedback, Corbbin! I'll make sure to pass this along. We wish you all the best!
constancer8
1/16/18

I used Care.com a few years back for simple, house/dog sitting on a few occasions (either for vaca or an overnight). The online sourcing was fine. The problem is that they did not guarantee any reservtaions and, living in a college town, all the sitters were flighly, had zero experience with XL dogs, and hardly ever showed up on time or when they said they were going to. One cancelled on me 8 hours before I had to leave for vacation. I did multiple meet/greets and in every case, all the people were fine, happy, willing to commit. Once they left the house, they were just a lost cause. Allow me to say as well, I did not ask for anything but feed/water dogs and house sit. No walking, no poop scooping. I just found this site to allow anyone and everyone to say they are a "highly recommended" pet sitter, which I found to be completely false. I was just dealing with everything except professional and reliable individuals.

loris250
1/16/18

I signed up for a 3 month subscription after being sent several emails saying people in my area where looking for care. I replied to all of them and heard nothing. I stopped receiving referral emails. When my subscription ran out I suddenly started getting referral emails again - only way to access is with another 3 month subscription. Looking closer at the referrals, they were all the same ones I had received before even though they had new dates on them. Several of the requests sent from different people had the exact verbiage in the request. Care.com is only interested in taking your money, not helping people. I couldn't even leave a review when I did not subscribe again, in only allowed like 50 characters and then on submit it wouldn't send. I'm so disappointed. I'm afraid for people that think this is a good website.

thomasj113
1/16/18

I was a member on care.com for a few years and ended up providing tutoring to 8 clients. On the website, I had 8 5 star reviews. One day my account just vanished and I was unable to log in to the site. I was told my account was closed and was not told why. Their costumer service is a joke, it was a long process to get someone on the phone. When I finally reached someone they were rude and sounded like they were reading from a script. Basically, we have closed your account but will not tell you why. Terrible.

marciek3
1/15/18

I knew about them automatically renewing your monthly subscription without notifying, so I made sure to cancel before the end of my one month subscription.

Besides that, there are real problems with this site. It's very confusing for users. There are too many choices with links all over, so that one feels like they are entering a warren. I can never remember where I've seen anything.

They categorize the job postings too broadly, like 'New York, NY', so if you are looking for a job in your immediate vicinity, you can't tell where potential clients are. They should have posters include their zip code as part of the posting process, otherwise you are sending cover letters to people you might not want to work for. Many of the part time jobs are only for a couple of hours, such as a quick visit to check on an animal. In that case, you wouldn't want to have to travel far to get to them. Yet you don't where they are unless you write them (and I write nice personalized intro letters), and they contact you back. That is both a huge waste of my time, and the poster's.

If you apply for a job via your computer and the poster responds, the site doesn't automatically send you an email letting you know, so you have to login every day and check. That should be fixed.

It's cumbersome to reply to a potential client via text. Care.com doesn't let you exchange contact information directly, supposedly to protect the individuals, but you can end up playing phone tag and never reach someone because the call has to go through care.com.

That being said, I did get some interviews, but nothing was the right fit. Getting interviewed is a big deal though, and that's why the 3 stars. FYI: Care.com DOES alert you that there are people trying to scam users and to be hypervigilant about this. Unfortunately this is not care.com's fault but a rampant scourge of the time we are living in.

janew130
1/15/18

I have actually reported this "company" to the Indeed people.
Try responding to an ad,and the response will say none in your vicinity.
Indeed has turned a blind eye to them and other scams they perpetuate on job seeking sites.

amandas289
1/14/18

I was scammed on this site I thought was just a regular babysitting site. I was looking to be hired by a family where someone wanted to hire me and gave me this story of wanting me to assist with their purchasing of a wheelchair because they were moving to my area. They sent me a fake check where I then had to owe the bank money. I thought I was doing a good deed for a single mother but instead I had to pay big time. This was a complete mess and reported this to the police. I wish the bank would've have noticed that the check was fake instead of me having to pay for it. BE CAREFUL.

valerieh68
1/12/18

Not only does the website not tell you you're signing up to hire, not be hired, but you have to create 2 profiles AND pay a membership just to find work. Excuse me but I'm trying to make money not spend money, screw your corporation. Too expensive, too confusing, not designed well. I'd give it 0 stars if I could.

skylers7
1/10/18

I have used Care.com about 3 times in the past. It still remains the same. The help that is decent are going to school, so will not work for you long. The ones that are incompetent are the ones that are available. They cancel at the last minute and numerous times. This last time, I thought maybe it would be different but it wasnt. Very unreliable. They dont do a real background check and want you to pay for it. It is worth it to do an agency that screens and trains, plus has backup help if the person cancels. Never again for Care.com.

jayb174
1/9/18

I signed up with Care.com. I paid for a 3 month membership. The very next day I got a message that my membership was cancelled. They said that under their terms of service they have the right to cancel a membership for any reason or no reason at all. They wont tell me what issue they have. Now I am fighting for the 3 month membership premium to be refunded. Its not a big number, but what a scam. All I wanted to do was hire a housekeeper.. Geez... stay away from this site..

happyh3
1/4/18

Care.com won't allow you to publish your contact info -- have to go through their website and who has that time to do email, receive email without being able to speak to the person? Many caregivers never respond making me think that care.com leaves them on indefinitely. I have had limited success and can't say much good about them.

marjoriee5
1/3/18
• Updated review

If anyone starts a class action suit, those of us who are participating in this site need to be informed.

“Watch out for Unexpected Monthly Charges”
12/20/17
• Previous review

I was shocked to discover that I was being charged $45 a month by Care.com. I didn't mind paying a small initial fee for access, but it wasn't clear that I would pay on a monthly basis. I felt tricked. Reputable companies don't trick you. There is no Customer Service phone number to talk with a person to resolve problems.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am planninng on filing a law suit. They are taking advantage of families who are trying to get help.

By Jona B., Care.com Representative

Steer clear from Care.com or what we prefer to call Care-aless. Com!!! They are only about profit for them. The site is for trollers that prey on innocent families. You'd be better off putting an ad in your local newspaper. Most local newspapers also have online readership too!

By MT R., Care.com Representative
I have 2 questions about Care.com. #1 Why dont they send a receipt to my email when auto renew billing?..I have paid for one month and one month only. I tried to find caregivers but discovered after investigating this company, that the babysitters are not properly vetted and the background checks they use are not correct. I was scammed out of hundreds of dollars over months by unauthorized renewed memberships fees. I never checked a box anywhere stating I wanted a permanent membership. This is illegal. #2 I tried to remove my credit card information from the system after realizing the amount of fraud and scams on this webiste and found that the only way to cancel your membership AND erase your banking inforamtion with Care.com is to cancel your credit card. However, Care.com can and will contact your credit card company and obatin your new credit card. How is this legal? The only way to pull the credit card information off the system is to replace it with another credit card. I called Care.com service center and they said they have no knowlegde of how to remove a credit card. So even after I cancelled my bank card I still was continued to be charged by Care.com on my new bank card. I was mad after demanding a refund when I called and was refused. Since I no longer trusted care.com with anything I cancelled my bank card instead of cancelling my membership...which I initailly tried to do but was so frustrated and upset I cancelled my card..Now I have yet another 2 months of unauthorized billing cycles on my new card. Why is this going on? Care.com is a scam, a ripoff, a fraud, theiving criminals. I hope someone burns the office to the ground.

I am determined to shut this site down. I am contacting news programs, The Today Show, Good Morning America and any and all others. Shut them down!!!

By Susan M., Care.com Representative

I would be cautious. I hope she is not moving for the job, as that is NOT a good idea. I get text messages daily from people asking me to email them (often for a friend), or someone coming from out of town or whatever. I delete these right away. First of all, they should go through the regular website and email you. No one would hire anyone without first meeting them, checking references, etc. I am sitting at the home of someone I took with through the Care site. I first communicated via email, then set up a face to face and met the kids. If it seems too good to be true, it is. USE COMMON SENSE! Seriously, if you don't have common sense you really shouldn't be taking care of kids, pets or anyone else!

By Cathy K., Care.com Representative

If I were you I'd choose another site. Care.com is terrible.

By Susan M., Care.com Representative

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they have a big money backer and can screw people of their money and lack of customer service? They should be called, I don't care.com

By scott d., Care.com Representative

Care.com is set up for parents that pay for the service...Parents can enroll for free and place and add. However, If they do not forward their credit card any messages from caregivers will have a blocked phone number. the babysitter cam also enroll for free and make a profile for her services. However if she does nor forward her credit card she can only apply to 8 jobs every 28 days and only the ads from parents that have paid for an account will be able to contact her..DO NOT respond to anyone contacting you on your phone that did not contact through Care.com first...This is always a scam...The message will look like this: I am moving to your area soon and need car for my son/daughter. Kindly respond to my email..(They are looking to scam you for money.)

By Sarah L., Care.com Representative

This is so sad!! I have been on both sides as I have an assisted living home in Pensacola Florida. I used care.com to staff my home; awful. Then when I had myself on as a provider they suspended me for a 14 year old non viloent misdemeanor, and they did not even have my permission to check past 7. They want you to get crappy providers, the good ones are kicked off because once ya get a good one, you no longer need them. Cash cow corrupt company who makes rules up as they go along, I heard 20/20 is doing a special. I plan to contact them, as I am verifiably the best care coordinator hands down, extremely good with direct care. You will only ever be returned 1 month contact the Federal Trade Commission file a complaint that's what I did, the more problems the better the case against care,com

By Katrina H., Care.com Representative

Sitter city.com could help you. I have honestly had nothing but problems with care.com . They make up rules as they decide not how things are written and do not follow their own privacy policy. They feed on single moms and dads . As well as children providing for aging parents You can place an add on Craigslist as well, for free and your prospective employee provides their own background check as it can be a most recent one and obtained by themselves at 5 to 10 dollars

By Katrina H., Care.com Representative

Take a screen shot of the text she sent you. Document that text. If you think she can potentially cause you harm, report her threat to the police. If she claims you were inappropriate with her, she could cause you a tremendous uphill battle for a long time. That threat shouldn't be taken lightly. Reporting her to your local police will document her false claim.

By Pam G., Care.com Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Care.com staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Care.com