Review of ElderHelpers

Ann Arbor, MI 48106, US
Tel: +1-734-330-2734
help@elderhelpers.org
Youtube video thumbnail
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!

nelsonr16
4/21/16

I consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to contribute of my time, money, and effort in helping my elders. These folks have invaluable life experience to share, and at this stage in their lives I believe they have earned the right to our respect and a sense of dignity in their twilight years, and I am happy to spread the love!

sahilab
4/18/16

Hello everyone!
I'm excited about joining Elder Helpers, and ready to start helping elders and their families. Can't wait to meet the elders

camillah8
4/5/16

Excited

joannao1
3/24/16

Great

karenn35
3/23/16

It's truly a shame that our society is uncomfortable with getting older. I hope that when I get older and seemingly irrelevant to the rest of society, someone will care enough to visit me. In order to receive, we have to give so that's what I'm doing. No doubt there are elders who are lonely and need nothing more than some attention and someone to talk to. We all matter regardless of age.

leslieb61
2/29/16

Knowing I have transportation for appointments is a great relief. My husband and I appreciate the service and have found the volunteers to be very caring and considerate and will help when we need help.

Thank you for being there for us.

ericd71
2/26/16

So far so good ready to get started

lindsayw17
2/25/16

Finally a group that connected an elder in need with someone with time, love and dedication to helping elders. Such a great organization!

loria22
2/22/16

Signing up was easy, and I am excited to get started.

asakoh
2/12/16

I never experienced as a volunteer until right at this moment.
But doing the right things with compassion and help people are what people should do. Nobody can not live alone.
Im excited to enroll elderhelpers.org

derricke4
1/4/16

I have had the benefit of helping my grandmother (102 years old) tranistion from completely independent living to semi and ultimately dependent living within her home. She has invested great wisdom into my life from her experiences spanning from her childhood in the 1920's, being married to my grandfather for over 50 years, to becoming a grand mother and acclimating to life in the digital age. I have been able to reinvest into her life by working in her yard/garden (with her has much as possible), reading with her to keep her up to date regarding current events, helping her around the house and grocery shopping with and for her. I moved to Texas this past year and want to invest in the lives of our greatest generation.

carmelitac
12/11/15

I AM SO READY TO GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY!! Especially our elders who need our assistance. I have enrolled, trained, and excited to help.

lynnc60
11/28/15

My mom stopped driving so she needed some transportation. I was fortunate enough to find Elder Helpers. What a wonderful organization. I found 2 very caring people in her neighborhood who are volunteering to drive her. We feel truly blessed. I would highly recommend this organization

Lynn Cladis

pearll6
11/14/15

Wanted to say thank you n a shout out to Kris Default for donating a turkey to an elderly senior from ElderCare.. Thanks Kris .. happy holidays

maggiev5
11/7/15

Wow. I wish I had read Mary's extremely unprofessional responses to reviews before giving my initial $50; I never would have donated. I want to volunteer because I can't really afford to give money to charities, but I can afford to give my time. I begrudgingly paid the $50, but now it appears that a background check is also required, which will cost additional money. I already can't afford to eat until my next paycheck because that was my last $50. I'm a grad student and have absolutely no money to pay for a background check. I'm disappointed with my experience and wish I hadn't donated to Mary and this seemingly crooked organization. So, my advice if you're considering joining Elder Helpers is simply, "Don't."

Tip for consumers: A tip for everyone: read the training manual for a laugh. It is equal parts condescending and unintelligible. A tip for Mary: have someone with a better grasp of grammar/the English language rewrite the training manual.

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Because we have a huge pool of volunteers nationwide for elders and their families to choose from, we recommend you making your profile as appealing as possible and getting on board with our VIP volunteer program. With elderhelpers.org volunteers are never required to donate money. A simple registration is enough to have the opportunity to give back to the community, gain knowledge and wisdom from seniors. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
aleishab
10/19/15

I am a college student and I thought that volunteering would be a great way to spend time when I'm not in class. I know that many seniors don't always have family and friends that visit them, so I volunteered on ElderHelpers.org. I emailed a customer care rep who told me all I needed to do was fill out an application form. I filled out the form online, uploaded a picture, gave the reason I wanted to volunteer along with other personal information. However after I submitted this information, I was told that the next step was to make an "expected contribution" of AT LEAST $50 in order to continue the application process. While donating to charities in itself is a benevolent act, it is in my opinion ridiculous to require a payment in order to volunteer. This site makes it clear that they don't care about charity or volunteer work, they care about money and that is all. I will be volunteering at a local nursing home instead. Shame on the people running this site.

lees102
10/15/15

The site worked great and I was easily able to enroll

janag3
10/13/15

wonderful

joyb17
10/6/15

Hello Mary R,
In your first response to my original review you called me names and told me I was mentally ill (I have copies of it). You were so disrespectful, I decided to research your company.
I uncovered facts I could have easily used to give a deeper review of your company (not a good one, I assure you); yet, I decided to let it go and stop wasting my life on you.
However, YOU couldn't let it go and eventually you posted a second response with a threat of legal action, if I did not take down my review.
(I have copies of your public threat and will be happy to post them since you deleted it - I also noticed another reviewer mentioned you legally threathened her, too).
And of course, I reported your threat to Sitejabber. They must have talked to you because you deleted both your first disrespestful response and your second threatening response, and then you posted a response with a civil tone (which I appreciated).
But because you can't control me, you are now disrespecting my freedom of opinion again, by saying "this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned."

Mary, Mary, Mary, you brought me out of the woodwork with your third disrespectful response, which compels me to give this second review.
I'd like to end this review with 2 statements:
(1) My personal experiences with you have been bad, and I have given two reviews of it - as is my right to do.
(2) You have one opinion of yourself and I have another, which you cannot change.
May there be peace and quiet from here on out,
Joy B.

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
samantham42
10/5/15

Easy to use, great cause

roryb26
9/15/15

Everything went very smoothly and I am looking forward to giving back to the community.

annetted10
9/14/15

Sorry, Elder Helpers all sounded great and the reviews sounded good so I thought I'de try and find assistance for my 86 year old father and signed up with their minimum recurring monthly donation. I spent good 2 weeks leaving messages for volunteers. I never received any call backs and then the volunteers I did reach were no longer active or had moved and there was even misleading information listed on some of the volunteers. One profile listed the volunteer was with Elder Helpers for years and when I actually spoke to them to confirm her experience and time with Elder Helpers, she had no experience and hadn't ever done this before. So I gave up after that and cancelled my monthly donation and emailed Elder Helpers to inform them of my findings and felt that their database seemed to be outdated. I was really shocked by the response I received from Mary R./Customer Care Agent which was telling me that I was not a team player because she did not receive any email from me telling her which numbers were disconnected or changed... I told her I'm sorry, that was not the case. The case was I did not receive any return phone calls, there was misleading information, and volunteers were no longer active yet still listed and I don't think it's my responsibility and would not feel comfortable to speak for a volunteer to have their profile updated or changed. It also states those volunteers are not team players as well. I was seeking help, but I felt after making a donation to Elder Helpers and putting in two weeks of my time only to be insulted was really disturbing. It made me wonder how legit this organization really is and I was not going to ask for my donation back, but in this case, I did not want to support this type of organization when there are many others that are deserving unlike this one. I had no luck in recovering my donation from them so I contacted my credit card to file a dispute and they brought to my attention that Elder Helpers had already put in process the following month donation when I had only been on board two weeks. My credit card is currently in the process of disputing these charges but I don't know if I will be reimbursed because anything labelled as a donation is nearly impossible to recover according to my bank card even if it were a scam. I just want to say if it sounds too good to be true, most likely it is. My advice is to stay clear of this organization.

-Just an added update - When I put through 3-4 cancellation requests, initially their system wasn't responding so I continued to try until I finally gave up and emailed their customer care agent, Mary, which she confirmed they received my cancellations all 3-4 times! But even after she clearly confirmed my cancellation of any further donations, I was so disturbed when emails continued to pop up stating the scheduled date of my next donation!!! I ended up having to cancel my bank card to avoid them from taking any further money from me. Even still (after I cancelled my bank card) I continued to receive emails from them stating they encountered a problem while attempting to process my donation!!! even without authorization. --STRONG ADVICE - STAY CLEAR OF THIS ORGANIZATION and if you are trying to cancel, make sure to CANCEL YOUR BANK OR CREDIT CARD IMMEDIATELY. It was the only way I could put an end to this.

tamier
9/9/15

Everyone is going to grow old, let's not forget we will to.

seleneb
8/13/15

I usually go over to their homes and help them out to whatever I can. My father has a law mowing service and most of them are elders.. So I use my elderly skills and help them out.

katrinah11
8/11/15

I had the best time of my life been a volunteer for Elderhelpers. If you have free time I suggest you volunteer for the Elderhelpers. You can register on their website at Elderhelpers.org. You get to spend time with the elders, and get to know them personally one on one.

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Questions? Get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

7 Photos for ElderHelpers