Review of ElderHelpers

Ann Arbor, MI 48106, US
Tel: +1-734-330-2734
help@elderhelpers.org
Youtube video thumbnail
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!

emmanuelj4
4/13/15

I ike the initiative and will always like to volunteer full time. May every effort you invest be directed in the welfare of mankind. Your selfless motives will always fetch the desired results and be encouraging to many volunteers
who want to join and come forward for this great blessed cause

veronican6
4/13/15

I am always happy to help and Eldercare not only helps elders in our community but they also help their volunteers feel like they are giving back to our most vulnerable residents! This is an experience everyone should have.

gailv3

VERY GOOD.

gweng2
4/13/15

wanted to find areas for volunteering in my area-----never one call, email, (just this one asking for rating) my experience is rated 0....never got any feedback from questions...just who are you assisting, or is this just an administrative action....

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Because we have a huge pool of volunteers nationwide for elders and their families to choose from, we recommend you making your profile as appealing as possible and getting on board with our VIP volunteer program. With elderhelpers.org volunteers are never required to donate money. A simple registration is enough to have the opportunity to give back to the community, gain knowledge and wisdom from seniors. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
tamim7
4/13/15

I love anything that is there to assist the elderly!!

pawank6

Life time experience

hassana16
4/13/15

I have a short term memory and don't remember anything. To bring joy to others, makes me happy.

lisag68
4/13/15

I enjoy helping the elder community

lorrainer7
4/13/15

this company is a scam and the jobs are fraud...they never have anything available...It is hard to contact the managers of the company for any assistance. They claim to have reached out to you, but never attempt to do so....guess they want others to think that they are doing something but their not...BEWARE PEOPLE THIS IS A SCAM1

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
kellyf18
4/13/15

I offered to give my valuable time and then they asked me for money before I could join the site. Moronic.

nonyab4
4/13/15

Really sketchy people. They asked me to write 5 stars without letting me choose how many stars I wanted to put.

drewh19
4/13/15

This is hands down the worst volunteer organization I've ever dealt with. They are incredibly disorganized, their website has lots of issues, they request a $50 donation from all volunteers up front, and they never actually get a hold of you to donate your time. I wish I'd heeded the advice online to stay away from this organization. It's been a colossal waste of my time and I continue to receive emails from them to update my profile but no one ever contacts you to actually volunteer. I strongly suggest you volunteer with another organization as I have done, as I am not even positive if this is even a real organization or they just claim to be and take donations.

saumyas
4/13/15

I am a full time volunteer with american cancer society & i would love to serve other more NGO's

katherinee5
4/13/15

After filling out a questionnaire and jumping through hoops to volunteer, the applicant is faced with a mandatory demand to pay $50 in order to go ahead. WHAT?????? Supposedly, it's to cover expenses for running the website. Who are they kidding? Is this any way to treat people who want to help out? Not in my book. Who thought of this anyhow?

tamreh
4/9/15

I signed up a month or two ago. I hoped to find someone who could help my Mom. My Dad died recently and she feels lost and lonely. I work full time and have a disabled daughter so it is hard for me to give her everything she needs. I thought that a volunteer for a couple hours a week would be wonderful for her. I signed up for a year and made several phones calls to volunteers. I did not receive any calls back. I asked for assistance and Mary told me they don't help contact volunteers. I requested that the service be cancelled and asked for a refund. Mary emailed back saying she had cancelled the service, and no volunteer would receive credit if they called me, but I have not received any refund. It is just not right!

stephanieo12
3/19/15

I signed up because I thought it would be a great way to connect with seniors in need in my neighborhood. It all sounded great until I got to the page asking me to "donate" $50 to support the organization. I have volunteered at many places and have never been asked to chip in money when I'm already donating my time (which is worth a lot!). I canceled my membership and the response was that it was just a suggested donation to help pay for costs. There are many places that I can volunteer without being asked for additional money.

ks87
3/4/15

I signed up for a month and was able to find a helpful volunteer after only 4 phone calls! Everything started out well & I was thankful for this service. Down the road, however, the helper did a few things that were deemed inappropriate, such as removing a painting from the wall, with who knows what intention since he was stopped in his tracks, and "permanently borrowing" a book without permission. He had a history of mental problems for which he had been hospitalized per his own admission.

I believe that helpers should be more thoroughly vetted by ElderHelpers, and those who utilize their services should know that they do so at their own risk. What started out as a most promising experience turned out to be very disappointing in the end.

johnm376
11/25/14

website is a total scam, they are ripping off the elderly. they only do a background check if the person donates money. if you pay for one month, they put your cc on re-occurring charges and when i told them to cancel the re-occurring charge, she said, please remind us close to the date when the charge will reoccur. none of the names/ numbers on the list are up dated, none return the phone calls. this is a scam on the elderly. please report this organization to the attorney general, bbb, angies list, etc.

thomasb101
11/20/14

Returned my email very quickly and saw to it that I got the information that I needed promptly and accurately.Truly a great experience for seniors having difficulties with federal paperwork.

ronl18
9/29/14

My mother lives in Cambridge Ontario, Canada. She needs some help as she getting older and had a stroke. I came across your site and signed and then I noticed that you are US based. Mary R. from Customer Care showed me where to look for Canadian cities, but nothing came up for her city, but I do appreciate the fast response.
Thanks!

jennifera45
9/18/14

* was extremely helpful. I would rate my experience 5 stars.

*[personal info redacted by admin]

normam5
9/6/14

I have been trying for months now to get help for my elderly Aunt and Uncle. They live in another state and I can't help them and they have no one near them. I can not find a helper. I have called and called. Got disconnects, no answer or they no longer do this. I asked for help from the home office or a refund. I got neither.

pattiw5
7/13/14

I needed some information on how to help a senior couple I know. Elder Helpers answered me almost immediately and have been so helpful. I just wish EVERYONE knew of their serves to seniors. What a great idea they have: Volunteers (wonderful people who want to reach out to others) helping people who need help the most (our incredible senior citizens) - Thank you Elder Helpers!

leahd4
6/27/14

I had questions regarding what type of work could be done and the process. ** was very helpful and answered my questions in a timely manner. I appreciate their direction and help very much.

**[personal info redacted by admin]

fionar4
5/27/14

Don't listen to the reply of this message. This website is a scam to make money off of volunteers and take advantage of the elderly. I don't see anywhere that I can "log hours" and yes I did find someone to volunteer with but there is no way I am telling you all my name or hers. They are over charging her and are RUDE to her. And the point of VOLUNTEERING is GIVING, you should not pay for mileage for a willing volunteer. My elder is going to be sooo upset when she finds out that this is going to be an horrible disaster to try and cancel her membership. I like how the replier, replied to someone and suggested they know who the person was and said they "abused the website". How do you know who that person is on a review site? YOU all are the one doing the abusing. I hope you guys get a class action law suit and you have to pay back every penny to anyone who has ever been charged by this "service". Why in the world would someone continue wanting to be charged after they have already found their volunteer? I'm so sad, because I am really happy my elder found me and then I realized what a horrible "organization". Wow, taking advantage of the elderly, that's really classy. Sorry, this is a bit of a rant because I am so upset about this.

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Questions? Get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

7 Photos for ElderHelpers