Review of ElderHelpers

Ann Arbor, MI 48106, US
Tel: +1-734-330-2734
help@elderhelpers.org
Youtube video thumbnail
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!

jong34
4/28/14

I was so impressed with how quickly the people at elderhelpers.org got back to me to help me. There are so many elderly people that need this wonderful service. Thanks again.

renatog
4/5/14

Its a great tool if you are in need of someone who help you with your elders!

amys50
4/4/14

what a great service, I was indeed able to find volunteers to help my parents on this site after a few phone calls. Volunteers get rewards and this is costing me almost nothing. I wish that there was more phone support but I understand that would probably raise the subscription cost to the user.

danielm112
3/20/14

I have been volunteering with Elderhelpers for approximately one (1) year. It's a fantastic program, and a great way to help the community. I have dedicated much of my life to volunteering and community service, and in fact I am the President of a non-profit corporation. I can say without hesitation that Elderhelpers is one of the best organizations I have been involved with. The staff is caring and attentive, and the elders with whom I've worked are thrilled to have a program which focuses on their needs.

maryd61
3/9/14

My experience with elder helpers is good, they are serious and screen people. They do ask for the help of the subscribers to warn of disconnected numbers but most of them are current and the people listed on the site are real. Took me a good half an hour to get in touch with Veronica and she helps here and there. In my area I have a lot of other volunteers to choose from so if she becomes unavailable I can get back to the site to contact others. Overall very satisfied subscriber.

robertr77
3/7/14

I got to this site via AARP's website recommending it on the helping seniors guide and found it really easy to use and worth the subscription cost. Very convenient and blazing fast email support.

paulm130
3/4/14

amazing organization, I got started right away, got my code and called about 10 numbers before finding help for my grandpa. I would recommend to others.

laurar31
2/26/14

I'm a registered volunteer with Elder Helpers. I was matched with an elder not long after signing up, and we've been together for a year and a half. I only gave the website four stars because when I realized there was a fee to sign up, I chose not to. Somehow I was still entered into the system. So the site was confusing. I also wish the geographical breakdown was a bit more granular. I'm in New York City which is comprised of five large boroughs. I receive calls from folks quite a distance from me looking for a volunteer yet have to turn them down, which breaks my heart. The people at Elder Helpers have always impressed me with their timely responses and their dedication to their mission. It sounds crazy, but there are actually real people at the other end of this organization. AND, they support you throughout the process. I am enrolled in other volunteer organizations to work with the elderly in New York. Elder Helpers is the only one that actually cares about both the elder AND the volunteer, at least here in New York City.

sarahj63
2/25/14

I am a social worker with a social service agency in Los Angeles and arranged in early 2013 for a client to have an Elder Helper volunteer. I was told that the one-year membership could be canceled at any time and the balanced pro-rated and refunded. At that time, the service itself contacted potential volunteers, who then contacted the client. I received only two calls. Happily, one of them worked out very well, but six months later, the volunteer announced that she was moving out of the area. I contacted Elder Helpers about obtaining either a new volunteer or a refund for the remaining months of the subscription and was told that all I could was go to the website and start over--at a higher rate than what I had originally paid. After a frustrating month of back and forth e-mails with a nameless "customer service," I gave up on the refund. In December, the client died. I followed the instructions on the website for canceling the subscription (which were hard enough to find), as I certainly didn't want to pay again for another year. Our agency just received the January credit card bill--with an automatic charge for another year of Elder Helpers! I've again tried to contact "customer service" and, well, here we go again. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Elder Helpers.org to any of my clients or their families. It's a shame, too, as a viable service such as this one purports to be would be of such great value to our elders.

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
lisas94
2/24/14

My name is Lisa and I have been a volunteer for elderhelpers.org. I personally chose to donate and pay for my background check but the tips section of the site and the customer service makes it very clear: "donations are not mandatory to volunteer" despite what some of the reviews here mention. I got called up many times by elders and family members and I help out here and there when I like the people asking for help and when my schedule permits it. That site really makes it easy for people like me to help out elders without jumping through hoops and dealing with bureaucracy of more traditional often religious brick and mortar nonprofits that have huge administrative costs. Amazing concept and I wish them the best for the future.

ericam12
2/24/14

Whoever thought about this program deserves a lot of thanks. I have an 80-year old grandfather and he is living alone. I come to visit him often if I could. Lately my job requires me to do lot of out of town trips. There's cable tv in the house, but having someone to talk with is still different. So I am very thankful for Elder Helpers because now a volunteer regularly comes by to keep company with my grandfather.

lindac48
2/7/14

I signed up for 3 months and called all the volunteers within a 10 mile radius. Any farther away, and they would have to drive a treacherous mountain road. NO ONE RESPONDED, or if they answered my call, they said they were no longer volunteering. The person at elderhelpers said I had to look within 20 miles, and I "should" pay the volunteers .75/mile. None of this was mentioned when I signed up. He refuses to give me a refund. I would steer clear of this company. Instead, research other volunteer organizations in your area who are truly volunteer with no strings attached.

jillw10
1/28/14

All new kind of service so it is probably why it is getting so many fake reviews from people who have obviously not used the site. My name is Jill W. and I have found good volunteers through the site after an easy search and a couple of phone calls. I signed up for a month at first and then switch to a year to save. The customer service is blazing fast and to the point and the volunteers I work with absolutely wonderful people. Thank you to whoever came up with this service and to the volunteers listed on the site.

adamf27
1/25/14

I think that it is an admirable service providing low cost senior care and that does not try to pretend to be something it is not. It's about 25 bucks a month if you pay a year in advance to get access to the service and get in touch with screened youngsters and adults wanting to help elders. Pretty great stuff if you ask me.

eb346
1/21/14

I am hesitant to volunteer for them as they are not BBB accredited. Also, when I did a search for their phone number, it also shows this website, www.healthyyears.org which links back to elder helpers. The testimonials on their site look fake to me and there's just something that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about them. Its almost as if they are taking advantage of volunteers desire to help and definitely a subscription based thing for the elderly, a reoccurring cost, is just what the elderly don't need. but then again, look at the nursing homes and assisted living, they charge a fortune. And if you had to have someone come to your house a few hours a day, that would cost you way more than $49 a month. they have 5 complaints on the BBB in 12 months and a B rating which is OK at best. They need to raise it to an A. The real issue and question is. Can they provide enough volunteers in your area and if they don't have volunteers in your area, they should be upfront about it, and shouldn't charge you. I don't want to volunteer for any practice that is shady. They have no staff so thats why they can charge only $49 a month but they might not have enough volunteers from what some of the ads on here suggest. I've never seen them advertise anywhere to get volunteers other than their website and I wonder how many more web domains they own? Its a good concept if they can get enough volunteers, but like all volunteers, you have to keep replacing them because their lives change and they stop doing it. They seem to be relying on a workforce that they have no control over.

janicec8
10/16/13

After paying the $319 yearly fee, I was unable to find any volunteers to call me back after contacting over 25 volunteers listed on the website. Two people called back, and one declines saying she didn't even know her name and info were being listed as she denied volunteering or applying to volunteer with this organization.
When I emailed ElderHelpers for assistance in finding a volunteer, they kept emailing me their link to FAQ's and did not help. When I asked about a refund due to their volunteers not calling me back, they wouldn't help me until I gave them a list of all the volunteers I called and their respective responses.
Basically they use these paying customers to weed through their volunteer lists for them, and they do not help in any way finding anyone.
I finally demanded a refund and they would not give it to me until I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau, and then deducted a prorated monthly fee for doing absolutely nothing but putting up a volunteer list of people who don't want to volunteer.
SCAM

jackl46
10/2/13

I volunteered Elder Helpers through entire month. The whole duration of my volunteerism is an enjoyable one I will treasure it forever. It's totally amazing to touch lives of this people and this organizations gives the opportunity for us volunteers share what we love to do.

lisab67
9/17/13

elderhelpers.org was fair in explaining their terms that you have to stay subscribed to keep receiving help so that the volunteers can report their hours. I had to call a bunch of numbers before I could find a volunteer available that was a good fit but it worked out great and I am grateful for this site and unique service.

jerrym32
9/17/13

Elderhelpers.org disregards its own motto: trust promise generosity honor truth dependable respect responsive integrity ethics. I was charged $49 in September 2012 to locate "volunteers" to help me care for my 85 year old mother and eventually for me. The one volunteer that I managed toconnect with through Elderhelpers.org provided absolutely no assistance. When she arrived at my home, she sat down to discuss the type of assistance that we need and then proceeded to tell us how much she charged.

I discovered in December that the $49 charge was a recurring quarterly charge. I contacted the bank and Elderhelpers.org and explained that I had only used the service once and the reason why I would not continue to use the service. The gentleman I spoke with and communicated via email promised to refund the $49 charge and cancel my account. He refunded the charge which was posted to my credit card account on January 7, 2013. Since he did indeed refund the charge and he had promised to cancel my account, I archived and deleted the emails. I discovered this weekend a pending charge for $49 from Elderhelpers.org on my Bank of America account. And to make matters worse, I pulled up all the electronic statements from BOA for 2013 and discovered charges for $49 had been posted to my account on March 16, 2013 and June 17, 2013.

I was beyond anger when I discovered that Elderhelpers.org had continued charging my credit card account despite the fact that I had been assured that my account was closed and that no further charges would occur. The phone number provided by BOA and which appears on the Elderhelpers.org website (734) 330-2734 accepts only voice-mail. So far, my voice-mail messages have not been returned, but they did respond to my emails with request that I provide them with the emails from last December. Not only is this an inconvenience but an insult since they are questioning my word. They are a business, which I can only assume, would have in place easy access to their email traffic. They certainly have disrespect me by questioning my integrity and honesty. The fact that they refunded the charge made last December should be proof enough of my previous contact.

I give Elderhelpers.org only one star since they were responsive in December 2012 and promptly refunded the $49 charge. But they have failed miserably to live up to their own motto as shown on their website. My advice to anyone--especially another elderly individual--to avoid this company. They will only take your money again and again. My last resort is to request Bank of America to change my account number . My advice to anyone--especially other elderly individuals--is avoid this website.

mariah14
7/5/13

I needed some help for my mom when she decided to retire and didnt have much money saved. I found elderhelpers.org and they connected me with a volunteer. It was kind of frustrating because we had to contact their volunteers and a lot of them did not pick up, it was worth it though. they also gave me a book to help use the program and really cared about my mom finding help. we need more sites like this

emmaj9
6/18/13

Old age may not be very pleasant for you if you are alone and suffer from various health conditions. My beloved passed away a few years ago. I do not blame my son for not being able to dedicate much time and attention to me as he is a busy professional. My health was deteriorating. It was scary as I was not being able to perform many of my routine activities without help. A friend of mine, another old chap, recommended visiting elderhelpers.org. I found a compassionate and young volunteer who was willing to lend me a helping hand in the activities that I required assistance in.

leed16
6/10/13

Great site was able to find help for mum and dad with gardening and errands. I would recommend to others. Only downside is a friend of mine tried to use it but no helpers where avaialble where he is which is a bit rural

to3495
2/21/13

The program described on their website is not available. I paid for an annual subscription for $200. The service advertised indicates that you will be provided an access code to their system to view and contact volunteers. The website allows you to see profiles of many volunteers in the Sacramento region. It seemed like a match.com scenario. NOT SO. As a subscriber, you do not have access to a list of volunteers to review their bios, nor do you have access to contact volunteers directly. You are required to utitlize a volunteer coordinator to access volunteers. Not necessarily a bad thing, but significantly different than the services advertised. The volunteer coordinator assigned to me was only able to locate one volunteer in Sacramento after two weeks of searching. Remember, the website lists several pages of volunteers in the Sacramento zip code, The coordinator gave this volunteer my number to contact me without any notice or introduction. Upon meeting the volunteer, it was clear that she was not in a condition to care for my elderly mother. She didn't arrive to our meeting on time, I had to call her and remind her of the meeting. When she did arrive, an hour late, she appeared to be under the influence of alcohol. She was a nice enough young lady, but I cannot put my mother's care into the hands of someone who is irresponsible. And it was evident that the volunteer coordinator didn't share any information with the volunteer. She didn't know anything about the organization, nor about the profile i submitted about my mother. I have asked to cancel my subscription and requested a refund because I believe they have not delivered the services they advertise. They have refused to cancel my subscription and refuse to issue a refund, stating that I must allow them three months to find a volunteer. The CEO's communication skills are seriously deficient. His email to me was the rudest I've ever received. I indicated that I would dispute the charge on my credit account and he threatened to sue me. Unbelievable. Not sure if they understand the concept of customer service.

stephanieg8
1/3/13

Elder Helpers is my favorite non-profit organization I support ! And also my family and family friends support this organization by volunteering our time, to do things like serving meals to seniors and cook a helthy food for them .

jamiem7
8/16/12

I had a great time using this website, it was fun and simple to volunteer for and help out the elderly folk in Sacramento. I volunteered for the local nursing home for six years, but wanted something a little more personal and wanted to help seniors stay in their homes. I love helping seniors and this program enabled me to do just that!

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Questions? Get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

7 Photos for ElderHelpers