Review of ElderHelpers

Ann Arbor, MI 48106, US
Tel: +1-734-330-2734
help@elderhelpers.org
Youtube video thumbnail
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!

3 reviews with 2 stars

ks87
3/4/15

I signed up for a month and was able to find a helpful volunteer after only 4 phone calls! Everything started out well & I was thankful for this service. Down the road, however, the helper did a few things that were deemed inappropriate, such as removing a painting from the wall, with who knows what intention since he was stopped in his tracks, and "permanently borrowing" a book without permission. He had a history of mental problems for which he had been hospitalized per his own admission.

I believe that helpers should be more thoroughly vetted by ElderHelpers, and those who utilize their services should know that they do so at their own risk. What started out as a most promising experience turned out to be very disappointing in the end.

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
sarahj63
2/25/14

I am a social worker with a social service agency in Los Angeles and arranged in early 2013 for a client to have an Elder Helper volunteer. I was told that the one-year membership could be canceled at any time and the balanced pro-rated and refunded. At that time, the service itself contacted potential volunteers, who then contacted the client. I received only two calls. Happily, one of them worked out very well, but six months later, the volunteer announced that she was moving out of the area. I contacted Elder Helpers about obtaining either a new volunteer or a refund for the remaining months of the subscription and was told that all I could was go to the website and start over--at a higher rate than what I had originally paid. After a frustrating month of back and forth e-mails with a nameless "customer service," I gave up on the refund. In December, the client died. I followed the instructions on the website for canceling the subscription (which were hard enough to find), as I certainly didn't want to pay again for another year. Our agency just received the January credit card bill--with an automatic charge for another year of Elder Helpers! I've again tried to contact "customer service" and, well, here we go again. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Elder Helpers.org to any of my clients or their families. It's a shame, too, as a viable service such as this one purports to be would be of such great value to our elders.

janicec8
10/16/13

After paying the $319 yearly fee, I was unable to find any volunteers to call me back after contacting over 25 volunteers listed on the website. Two people called back, and one declines saying she didn't even know her name and info were being listed as she denied volunteering or applying to volunteer with this organization.
When I emailed ElderHelpers for assistance in finding a volunteer, they kept emailing me their link to FAQ's and did not help. When I asked about a refund due to their volunteers not calling me back, they wouldn't help me until I gave them a list of all the volunteers I called and their respective responses.
Basically they use these paying customers to weed through their volunteer lists for them, and they do not help in any way finding anyone.
I finally demanded a refund and they would not give it to me until I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau, and then deducted a prorated monthly fee for doing absolutely nothing but putting up a volunteer list of people who don't want to volunteer.
SCAM

Response from Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative

Hi, At the moment it's our only payment method, we're working on better ways to improve this. You can try contacting 211 United Way for a referral to a local program in case ours doesn't work for you.

By Mary R., ElderHelpers Representative
Questions? Get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

7 Photos for ElderHelpers