ElderHelpers

ElderHelpers has a consumer rating of 4.31 stars from 161 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with ElderHelpers most frequently mention great organization. ElderHelpers ranks 1st among Caregiving sites.

Special offer from ElderHelpers
Join Our NATIONWIDE Community Of Elders Now!
Sign Up Gain trust and grow your business with customer reviews

No positive highlights yet

• They only do a background check if the person donates money.
  • I spent good 2 weeks leaving messages for volunteers.
How would you rate ElderHelpers?

“Volunteering Experience”

Jordan O.
5/13/20

They moved quickly to move me through the process of being ready and educated to help volunteer those who need it.

“Don't bother”

george w.
12/14/19

My husband signed up on 11/21. Our "donation" was withdrawn right away. Understandably, due to the holiday, we expected a delay. However, it took two weeks to get a response. All we needed was a code to be able to contact a volunteer. Instead, we kept getting the same email requesting a sign up and donation. When he finally received the code, he made 9 phone calls. The only two numbers that answered had moved out of the area. The other numbers were either no longer working, so a message was left. No one has responded 24 hours later. The latest from elder helpers is another request for our zip code? Don't you have our registration? Ridiculous.

background check (8) volunteers (26) customer service (6) organization (25) phone number (4)
georgew380
December 14th, 2019
ps396
January 21st, 2020
Read consumer reviews at:

Reviews are mostly negative from consumers looking to find someone to help with their elder loved one, Many feel scammed. The only positive reviews are from board members and alleged volunteers. Many negative reviews of the organization. I love the concept but seems the many consumers are NOT satisfied based on actual objective reviews.

The biggest RED FLAG for me is that there is NO phone number. Any organization that does not provide a phone number for customers and customers to contact them should be viewed with a high degree of skepticism. I was initially excited to try this for my 84yo mother but am passing based on what I have read and based on the fact there is no phone number, and one is required to pay $50 a month to access the volunteers, every month, whether you get connected to a volunteer or not
sharonk90
June 14th, 2017
I signed up to get help for my 90 + year old in-laws. Not really impressed. Many of the volunteers I called either never returned my calls or stated they were no longer involved with this organization. I am not paying $50 a month for nothing! They also tell you that it is the client's responsibility to report wrong or disconnected numbers. Really? Then what am I paying for? If they had a better business model they would at least keep their database updated and regularly check in with both the client's and volunteers. I can't recommend this organization for my area in South King County Washington state.

ElderHelpers attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

robertr345
March 2nd, 2018
I signed up for Elder Helpers a couple years ago. At that time I was sent a packet of some sort and ended up having to pay around $50 for the privilege of volunteering my time. I contacted them but was quickly rebuffed - I never got called to help anyone. The only result was that they took my 50 bucks.

Here is the email exchange between myself and Elder Helpers from that time period. It speaks for itself:

Me:"Hi, I signed up with Elder Helpers a couple weeks ago (donated the fifty dollars, got the booklets, paid for the background check) At this point is it just a waiting game or can I do anything proactive to get matched up with an elder? Thanks"

Their Response:"Yes, you can read your packet and our website. "

Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep
Because we have a huge pool of volunteers nationwide for elders and their families to choose from, we recommend you making your profile as appealing as possible and getting on board with our VIP volunteer program. With elderhelpers.org volunteers are never required to donate money. A simple registration is enough to have the opportunity to give back to the community, gain knowledge and wisdom from seniors. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section.
tonyac24
June 2nd, 2017
I gladly sent in $50 with the hope of getting some assistance with my grandmother. The last 10 days I've tried calling 8 separate people listed. No one answered so left messages for those who had vm. No one has called me back to even say they couldn't help. When I emailed my concerns, I received a email response that the email was no longer valid. And wouldn't you know the phone number that you have to search for is disconnected. I should have known when no one in health care, social services are even government services have any heard of Elder Helpers. If it's too good to be true, it is!
johannas2
June 10th, 2018
• Updated review
My opinion of Elder Helpers remains unchanged. People who take advantage of the elderly need to be brought to justice.
Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep
ElderHelpers.org customer care did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and its services are concerned. Customer care can be reached at help@elderhelpers.org and SiteJabber offers a useful Q&A section. As a special note for this extra strongly worded review: we have always had since conception a feature on our website for volunteers to set their profiles as inactive and therefore invisible to the public. We believe that this review was indeed left by someone with bad intentions and legal action might apply.
Mary R's threat
June 8th, 2018
• Previous review
Update April 20 2016: (In addition I have responded to all of "Mary's" emails so their response about not being able to contact me is bogus)
Chuck... Mary... whoever you are,
Who is managing your website that you can't see that my profile is obviously live? I just received another phone call April 18th from another senior looking for assistance. I would love to send you the url but since I can't even log in AND when I chose to have you people send me an email because your site says my password is incorrect it doesn't send the email. Maybe I'm the one who needs a lawyer.

Mary R. Wrote: -------------------------
Hello Johanna,

Could you please confirm that your profile is not on our site anymore and in case you do see it please email us the url so that we can take it down.

Chuck
elderhelpers.org

I was contacted by Mary yesterday:
"Hello, I am Mary and here to help you solve this issue. Please let me know if you would like my assistance, I will be glad to assist you.
However if you refuse we will pass on your review to our lawyers, thank you.
Mary,
I would like nothing more then to delete my profile from your website; and I know I'm not the only one. Please do pass on my review to your lawyers and to any and everyone else you know the more visibility the better that is the whole purpose for posting reviews.
Thank you so much for your assistance!
kellyf18
Verified purchase
I offered to give my valuable time and then they asked me for money before I could join the site. Moronic.
beverlyb63
June 1st, 2017
This was my first time using Elder Helpers. I am very disappointed. 1 person was very rude to me on the phone, the other volunteer hung up on me when i told them who i was. I wont be using this service to help my mom. Not feeling comfortable leaving my mom with this service.
katherinee5
Verified purchase
After filling out a questionnaire and jumping through hoops to volunteer, the applicant is faced with a mandatory demand to pay $50 in order to go ahead. WHAT? Supposedly, it's to cover expenses for running the website. Who are they kidding? Is this any way to treat people who want to help out? Not in my book. Who thought of this anyhow?
taran17
November 19th, 2016
Verified purchase
I paid the $30-some u have to pay to register ($10/monthly +22 or so for a background check) and have not been given any confirmation by background check has gone through (though the money has been processed) and I contacted customer support and according to their response email which I received twice, I should get a response in 2 business days. Meanwhile confused how this works

drewh19
Verified purchase
This is hands down the worst volunteer organization I've ever dealt with. They are incredibly disorganized, their website has lots of issues, they request a $50 donation from all volunteers up front, and they never actually get a hold of you to donate your time. I wish I'd heeded the advice online to stay away from this organization. It's been a colossal waste of my time and I continue to receive emails from them to update my profile but no one ever contacts you to actually volunteer. I strongly suggest you volunteer with another organization as I have done, as I am not even positive if this is even a real organization or they just claim to be and take donations.
jessies39
April 14th, 2015
Verified purchase
Didnt find this site easy to use or the customer service at all helpful - i therefore cancelled my DD after 1 payment and never got anywhere with this Co
ruthk14
April 26th, 2015
First - I signed up as a volunteer. There was no phone call or anything - I just showed up as a volunteer. I could be a mass murderer!
Second - We tried getting a ride for my 90 year old mom. Contacted at least 5 people on the list - most had signed up years ago and had heard nothing from company - didn't even know they were on site. Needless to say - no help at all was available.
Third - We cancelled the service after first month, but were still charged. Still waiting on a refund for the second month - and think we should get one for first month too.
I have NEVER spoken to anyone at Elderhelpers. Only ever got email from one person - Mary. Is this a one woman show? I'm wondering if this is a scam.
lindas46
Verified purchase
I've been a 'member' or volunteer with Elder Helpers for I think the past 2+ years, and only once has a man, a senior (who along with his wife was looking for a person to help with doing their housecleaning) but while he was rather kindly sounding on the phone and everything, he lived just too far south from me here in Edmonton, so I politely declined when I discovered that it would take me 3 buses and a good hour just to get to their house.

That was over a year ago, and since then nobody in Edmonton has contacted me about being a volunteer. I'm probably going to take my name off of Elder Helpers because it's just not used in my city.
angelas64
August 5th, 2015
I did not do my research and really regret it. I was so blinded by my excitement about having the opportunity to assist elders, that I ignored the red flags all over the place.:(
First off, they tell you that you need to like their facebook page before filling out the form "We let our volunteers know about opportunities through our facebook page so you need to like the facebook page to volunteer!"This would be no problem if they actually contacted you through their facebook. I honestly feel like this statement may be a flat-out lie, since they tell you that you need to print out their flyers and post them everywhere in order to get someone to contact you (if no one has).
After giving them your personal information and creating a volunteer account, they tell you that you need to donate $50 (minimum) in order to get a free volunteer handbook (this is also in their tips on how to be the best volunteer), you have to contribute! This felt totally sketchy. Any good organization would give their volunteers a handbook and/or training for free, especially with knowing and respecting the value of their time and that not every volunteer has extra money to throw around. I was naive enough to do it (thinking I was also helping support a good organization). When you go to donate it says that your donating is going to the "Campaign for Aging Research." Sounds like a great cause, right? It certainly made me feel better after I made the donation. After doing a tiny bit of digging, the Campaign for Aging Research is just a glorified name for Elderhelpers.org (also under the domain name HealthyYears.org)... Is there an actual campaign for research going on here? After making my donation I did not receive my volunteer training e-book as promised, so I contacted elderhelpers via e-mail to let them know. I was promptly contacted by Mary (apparently the only person who works for them?), who told me I needed to contact Crowdrise (the site they use to create their fundraiser--which is actually a good website with my experience), to get my handbook. Weird?
One thing I did appreciate was that they promote getting a background check, but it's not required, which sounds potentially dangerous. There didn't seem to be any other screening done through the site, so how can elders ensured that they are going to be safe?
To make this long story a tad bit shorter--after going back and actually doing my research (and reading other volunteer/users reviews and feedback), I decided that I just wanted to delete my account. Of course it turns out that you can't even delete your volunteer account either. All they allow you to do is make yourself unavailable so that people won't contact you. Awesome. I've never come across so many weird and sketchy issues from a supposedly reputable organization. Even if they are real and do want to help others, I suggest they change the way they run things.
stephanieo12
March 19th, 2015
I signed up because I thought it would be a great way to connect with seniors in need in my neighborhood. It all sounded great until I got to the page asking me to "donate" $50 to support the organization. I have volunteered at many places and have never been asked to chip in money when I'm already donating my time (which is worth a lot!). I canceled my membership and the response was that it was just a suggested donation to help pay for costs. There are many places that I can volunteer without being asked for additional money.
lindac48
February 7th, 2014
I signed up for 3 months and called all the volunteers within a 10 mile radius. Any farther away, and they would have to drive a treacherous mountain road. NO ONE RESPONDED, or if they answered my call, they said they were no longer volunteering. The person at elderhelpers said I had to look within 20 miles, and I "should" pay the volunteers. 75/mile. None of this was mentioned when I signed up. He refuses to give me a refund. I would steer clear of this company. Instead, research other volunteer organizations in your area who are truly volunteer with no strings attached.
beverlyr15
June 9th, 2015
Verified purchase
My experience with elders help.com has not been what I expected. I want to become an volunteer, but no one has contacted me about volunteering.
johnm376
November 25th, 2014
Website is a total scam, they are ripping off the elderly. They only do a background check if the person donates money. If you pay for one month, they put your cc on re-occurring charges and when i told them to cancel the re-occurring charge, she said, please remind us close to the date when the charge will reoccur. None of the names/ numbers on the list are up dated, none return the phone calls. This is a scam on the elderly. Please report this organization to the attorney general, bbb, angies list, etc.
rosalynp
August 9th, 2015
Verified purchase
I went online to find an organization to volunteer my time and experience. However after applying this organization stated I much pay 50.00 dollars to volunteer my time. There is no way I am paying for my time. I rate your organization a zero
aleishab
October 19th, 2015
I am a college student and I thought that volunteering would be a great way to spend time when I'm not in class. I know that many seniors don't always have family and friends that visit them, so I volunteered on ElderHelpers.org. I emailed a customer care rep who told me all I needed to do was fill out an application form. I filled out the form online, uploaded a picture, gave the reason I wanted to volunteer along with other personal information. However after I submitted this information, I was told that the next step was to make an "expected contribution" of AT LEAST $50 in order to continue the application process. While donating to charities in itself is a benevolent act, it is in my opinion ridiculous to require a payment in order to volunteer. This site makes it clear that they don't care about charity or volunteer work, they care about money and that is all. I will be volunteering at a local nursing home instead. Shame on the people running this site.
tamreh
April 9th, 2015
I signed up a month or two ago. I hoped to find someone who could help my Mom. My Dad died recently and she feels lost and lonely. I work full time and have a disabled daughter so it is hard for me to give her everything she needs. I thought that a volunteer for a couple hours a week would be wonderful for her. I signed up for a year and made several phones calls to volunteers. I did not receive any calls back. I asked for assistance and Mary told me they don't help contact volunteers. I requested that the service be cancelled and asked for a refund. Mary emailed back saying she had cancelled the service, and no volunteer would receive credit if they called me, but I have not received any refund. It is just not right!
normam5
September 6th, 2014
I have been trying for months now to get help for my elderly Aunt and Uncle. They live in another state and I can't help them and they have no one near them. I can not find a helper. I have called and called. Got disconnects, no answer or they no longer do this. I asked for help from the home office or a refund. I got neither.
melodym8
August 10th, 2015
Verified purchase
Did the background check and filled out all of the info and sent money requested. Don't understand. Melody
maggiev5
November 7th, 2015
Wow. I wish I had read Mary's extremely unprofessional responses to reviews before giving my initial $50; I never would have donated. I want to volunteer because I can't really afford to give money to charities, but I can afford to give my time. I begrudgingly paid the $50, but now it appears that a background check is also required, which will cost additional money. I already can't afford to eat until my next paycheck because that was my last $50. I'm a grad student and have absolutely no money to pay for a background check. I'm disappointed with my experience and wish I hadn't donated to Mary and this seemingly crooked organization. So, my advice if you're considering joining Elder Helpers is simply, "Don't."

Tip for consumers: A tip for everyone: read the training manual for a laugh. It is equal parts condescending and unintelligible. A tip for Mary: have someone with a better grasp of grammar/the English language rewrite the training manual.

Mary R. – ElderHelpers Rep

We do background checks via IntelliCorp which is a Verisk company. They are extremely serious, thorough and reputable. We also encourage you to spend time with the volunteers on the phone so that you can get to know each other and also to meet for the first time in a public place like a coffee shop. Because of this precautions, we have not one incident reported in years of service to the elderly community.

Is elder help free

Hello Joy, Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. Hello Ryan, we ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Yes, they do help elders for free. We ask for a $50 monthly commitment on a tax deductible donations to support our service. Volunteers help for free. They are true volunteers. Our job is to provide convenience and security in connecting them with elders. Our staff is not volunteer since any business requires daily operations management. Because we are not recipients of any private or public grants, everyone chip in a small amount, that is tax-deductible. Would you prefer to find an organization receiving government assistance, there are a lot of them out there. We do not force anyone to join our community. Our volunteers are true volunteers and do not ask for money. Elder help is free.

See more answers (2)

Does ( ElderHelpers.org) receive State or Federal financial assistance or subsidies as a non-profit?

By Kip H.

Hi Jim, our email work fine, please check with your provider.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Lisa, great example of why it is better to work with a volunteer rather than a taxi or ride sharing service! This would be something you would need to work out with the helper and can certainly be arranged because the idea is to really care for seniors not just dropping them off. We strongly recommend testing the reliability of the elder helper ahead of time because doctor appointments are important.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Leelee S. Our service is designed for individuals only. This is the only way that we can offer SAFETY and CONVENIENCE. You can simply print a few flyers that you can download on our website and hand it to them. You can also watch our presentation video and explain if you want. Just make sure to not sign up for somebody else and even less for a group of people. That could get you in troubles and the users also. Thank you for your interest.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Jan, We are a legitimate organization, we sent you information to your account to complete the intake process, In case you're not able to find an available volunteers in your area we can issue a full refund of your last payment, you can also cancel the monthly contribution at any time by sending us an email at help@elderhelpers.org Let me know if you need further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hi Lia, No, It's not mandatory to donate to be a volunteer in our organization. You can send us an email at help@elderhelpers.org for further information.

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Hello Fatima, Thank you for reaching out, could please provide us the email address that was used to register?

By Mary R., Senior Customer Care Specialist

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ElderHelpers staff and other customers.

Elder Helpers is a user-friendly, web-based service. We believe that compassion at its finest is free. Volunteers register to offer their services based on their true desire to help elders. Elder Helpers strives to safely and conveniently connect these dedicated, passionate volunteers with elders in their local communities. We are a tax exempt organization and the contributions cover our operating costs. Our volunteers are true volunteers. For a tax deductible monthly donation of $50, you can contact as many volunteers as you would like, to ask them for as much help as you would like. We do screening and background checks and our website makes it convenient for you to locate volunteers where you need them and get to know them and the help they are willing to offer. Enjoy the safety and convenience of elderhelpers.org!

We are not supported by any government money. Solely volunteers, elders and their relatives help us pay for the technology and people making this service possible. Contributions from volunteers, training packets delivery, contributions from elders and relatives are handled by a third party meeting the best industry standards and is subject to change. Background checks are handled by www.IntelliCorp.net, a Verisk Company. We recruit our volunteers in reputable places and carefully screen all users. This service is new and innovative, we strongly encourage any visitor of this page to educate themselves by reading our FAQs at www.elderhelpers.org/faq and contact us via email for more information. Thank you.

Business History

Elderhelpers.org started in May 2010 to match volunteers with elders in need of help within their own community.

In the middle of June 2015, we have decided to stop offering a refund policy since it was rarely respected by our users. We switched to a third party meeting the best industry standards to offer tax deductible donation receipts, easy cancellation, and increased security.

We now only let informed people about our service (having read our FAQs carefully, and checked our listings of volunteers themselves) join our community. Each user gets access to our safe and convenient service for a small monthly contribution. We do not offer refunds anymore. There is no more subscription, monetary contribution is now considered a donation. And it is tax deductible!

People joining our community are asked to be patient, nice to our volunteers, and to report wrong and disconnected phone numbers to us, which is the only way that we can keep a database clean and up-to-date. This website is user supported: volunteers give their time and when they can donate money, elders and their relatives participate fifty dollars a month, and report their results to benefit the entire community of users.

Mary R.
Senior Customer Care Specialist
Mary has been serving elders for years and through her experience in the industry she has brought great expertise to the very innovative elderhelpers.org. You can reach her at help@elderhelpers.org with your questions, concerns, comments and kuddos.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ElderHelpers?

Have a question about ElderHelpers?