Review of Disqus

Disqus reviews

rosemariek14
5/17/19

Tried to change email in acount but won't take new one in settings. Sorry but showing articles with no contact number, no chat room sucks. If there was an alternate I'd take it.

susand467
5/15/19

Horrible customer services for publishers as Disqus representatives refuse to address the 100% negative feedback from their implementation of the ugly and horrible "collapsed replies."

How does a commenting system justify implementing a feature that DISCOURAGES commenting interactions?

jimw112
5/9/19
• Updated review

I don't want to be in love with this stalker like he is with me. He needs to get gay with someone else.

If you see the stalker below RUN!

“Mentally ill Stalker”
11/19/16
• Previous review

This company has done NOTHING to rid it's site of this mentally ill stalker/harasser.
"ThePhoenixRises".
Take the trash out and your site will be 50 % better.
Than check your channel owners and throw out the old ones. They can't think.
The gossips should go next.
Finally every target harassers needs to go.

summ228
5/4/19

For years now whenever I try to comment favorably on a concept increasingly disliked by liberal media, I get a generic Disqus error message. But when my comment is in line with the general media sentiments, I can comment just fine. It happens far too consistently to be due to chance. I'm confident Disqus is just another social media site engaging in social engineering. Of course it fails. You can't stop people from holding the values they do or having the perceptions they have simply by silencing them on your platform.

Shame on any media site that censors polite, legal, respectful comments JUST because the theses don't give with those of the site and its supporters.

gails326
3/16/19

The site is filled with atheists who always go to the religion section. The first rule of disqus is "no insults," yet, atheists are allowed to gush insults to Christians in every comment without so much as a warning from the moderators, whereas Christians who use the word 'stupid' will have their comment removed and be threatened with banning. This is because the moderators there are all atheist liberals.

Moreover, there are moderators there who will actually participate in the abuse, and sometimes even instigate it.

disqus is a horrible and very abusive place to be.

tricial29
2/17/19

I joined Disqus soon after it was launched to comment on articles published by various media. A political activist living away from my own country, it offered me the opportunity to opine and interact with others. As a communicator, I was impressed. When the media sources I visited stopped using the platform, a frequent participant set up a dedicated Channel so we could continue our political/current events discussions. When right met left sparks would fly. The banter was enjoyable, for a while. Sadly, the Channel owner did not moderate any of the excessive bullying which reared its head. Rational commenters began to leave and find other Channels. I persisted as I had met some good people with whom I enjoyed discussion. Another commenter who shared that he was disabled and had cancer was mocked and ridiculed and wished dead by a couple of posters. No moderation took place. The poster has since passed away. For myself, a political adversary believed me to be someone else entirely and so ensued the most egregious bullying. Nothing was done. Another poster took on the bullying as well and complaints to the moderator and to Disqus yielded nothing so I left. There are some good channels which are moderated, but having been bullied once, one isn't keen to have it continue. A new poster joined in and has virtually threatened me. Also, lies and slanderous conjecture littered the Channel. Even when not posting, the lies continued. There is absolutely nothing one can do. It appears that Disqus encourages cyberbullying because that builds audience. So, I changed my ID and followed other channels to keep away from the bullying and the threats. But a stalker found me even so. I have now stopped posting. The 'reporting' system is useless. Nothing is done. When Channel moderators appear to be conducting a 'social experiment' and do nothing, one is helpless. Disqus 'blocking' is useless. It is not a complete 'block' such as FB and Twitter offer. It only stops you seeing that commenters posts but it doesnt stop them from seeing yours and discussing you with others. There is no way unethical moderators can be reported.

So, until Disqus takes some action against the hideous cyberbullying by hideous trolls, the platform fails to deliver that which I believe was its original objective. Its nerdy clever but just not efficient in any way.

walterb59
2/15/19

There are a lot of hosting sites out there. They succeed or fail by being reliable platforms for peoples views and opinions without jading the input or censoring the output. It is their reliability as a forum that makes them useful. Imagine the Roman Forum policed by guys with truncheons?
Disqus has failed in this basic requirement. It skews what you can see and censors what is provided.

digmans
2/9/19

This site is all liberal views You cannot go against their belief's . They will ban you or block you.

devonw24
2/8/19

The newer iteration of this platform is horrible. It flags half of my comments as SPAM. Why? Because when discussing a subject I support my position with quotes from published peer-reviewed studies. These quotes often get repeated and the system thinks it is SPAM. This is a much higher quality level of discussion than is typical, it is absurd to mark it as spam. Do they want the discussions filled with mindless trolling or quality research???

(and the support people do nothing to help me)

rb258
1/30/19

God forbid you go against the grain. I'm sure if they had total control of this country they would have firing squads.

emmal137
1/7/19

What can I say. I posted a comment about Jazmine Barnes story. I had some doubts. My comments were removed.

donnac400
12/15/18

Well if you go on ABC News & the comment section, you are forced to use Disqus. Clearly, it is Very Left Wing controlled. If you even Try to point out a Republican point of view you will get kicked out. Clearly, you can not cuss or say something alluding to being sexual. But they will kick you out for no reason what so ever for not supporting the left.

mikec300
11/28/18

You know, people can hate Trump - I get it. I love Trump's policies (you would have to be an idiot not to), but think his off the cuff comments can be stupid and ridiculous. But, why does Disqus have to join the zombie mindless crazed groups who refuse to be fair?

johnh1645
11/12/18

They continually point out Trump's false statements, which is unnecessary. We can all listen to Trump babble lies all day long. Nobody needs reminding of his stench......https://www.metro.us/president-trump/trump-lies-hit-the-5000-count-experts-say-theyre-accelerating....... https://www.metro.us/president-trump/trump-lies-hit-the-5000-count-experts-say-theyre-accelerating.

johnh1751
10/24/18

This site keeps pointing out Trump's mistakes and lies. I am already well aware that he is a moron and will watch him speak if I need reminding. I get tired of having to log in constantly, and reading the same familiar things. From now on, everything Disqus goes to SPAM garbage.

caramag
10/5/18

He will have to repeat everything 20 more times for nothing I wanted to get a ton of spam email stay away from this sight!

thomash430
9/29/18

They will leave the most vile disgusting evil posts about Trump and his supporters but ban and censor conservative views...SAT AWAY FROM THIS GARBAGE SITE!!!

jeffc377
9/28/18

Horrid site. Anyone who actually wants stimulating discussions-whether liberal or conservative (or independent like me) - AVOID this site. The "owners" of the site will only hear what their myopic little brains can handle- then you are banned.
WASTE of TIME!

dp130
9/10/18

disqus blocked me for my conservative comments!! I believe it was the result of whining lefties, that like to dish it out but can't take it, complaining as abuse. They blocked my second account as well which likely means they blocked my I.P.
Commy Pinkos!

denid5
8/30/18

A Military Veteran wrote a comment how his experiences on Disqus were banned because he felt the Republican party was more supportive of those who fight for their country.

He was almost banned and given a written warning as if he was a naughty toddler . I wrote a reply to him that I felt his post was excellent and he provided definitive proof of his experience with Disqus.

I then received a warning that Disqus did not provide for Freedom of Speech. Note, neither the Army Vet nor I used abusive language, nothing we wrote was obscene (both of us are Christian). It did not matter; it was clear their "Naziesque Reviewers"ban people who do not TOTALLY AGREE with their Progressive mind-set. I immediately wrote back to the "Ban Camp" (that's the reviewers moniker) I would remove my account & I also insisted, I'd not receive Junk Mail, SPAM nor Adverts from their sites as since I Registered on "Disgus" my SPAM & JUNK MAIL increased by 20-30 email each day. Good riddance to Disqus...they should be known as DISGUSTING!

sarder
8/27/18

I noticed I got shadow banned around the same time that infowars was cut from their service. I went from 10+ comment replies per day to nothing for the last 18 days now. I am still commentating on all the other sites I use save infowars. Yet oddly no is replying anymore. Almost like my posts are invisible to everyone except me.

Real great quality service that. When you cannot counter argue you just shut their speech down like a fascist.

swedem
8/16/18

Disqus is run by extreme Leftist Moderators that will remove any comments not towing their Leftist ideology. All posts demonizing President Trump, even those using bigoted vile hateful derogatory and vulgar language, are ok. Any factual refutation of spurious Leftist comments is marked as spam and removed.

zappb
8/16/18

Disqus has a clear left wing political agenda. Every comment I make is instantly marked as spam never to get approved.

ernieo11
8/15/18

Disqus has closed my account more than once without explanation. Disqus is a leftist censorship machine.
I want the news sites to abandon disqus for any other system. ANY other.

timothys226
8/8/18

It's official. Disqus has been rendered completely useless on all of my favorite Conservative sites. It appears they have also become chess players in the Conservative Purge. They do not respect the freedom of speech for all anymore. Their entire mission statement is a complete lie. Therefore, since they want to be Anti-Conservative, I used my freedom of choice and my voice to delete my Disqus account, and I've actually blocked their domain from my neighborhood network, websites and even my personal computers. I am the administrator. I can do that! I'm currently still instructing everyone to switch to a more bipartisan SM engine and/or find other routes to communicate with their favorite sources. I hate to tell you guys this, but they (the Liberal Communist Left Wing Extremists) appear to have re-engaged in Jim Crow behavior and are forcing us deeper into the digital ghettos simply because they lost an election. It's unbelievable how evil they are. If I didn't know any better I'd say they're all possessed by demons.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

This question is not a well formed question. It's about net locations, IP and MAC addresses, logins and emails. You can't force someone to use their name. If such a standard was imposed, people would merely make up fake names. Better to just let them have the random anonymized handles they prefer. Do you know how risky it is to post online with your real identity? There is no limit to data retention with many of these companies online. As the major data brokers continue to consolidate and violate privacy with indefinite data retention, you'll see everything you've ever done online, one day in a central repository of data. In the US we're seeing a beta test roll out of something similar to the chinese people rating programs, taxing dissidents, denying participations of citizens if they don't agree with government, etc. The better question is why can't we be completely anonymous, and why does Disqus need to track and record our IP addresses?

By GuestGuestGuest G.

Obviously for the majority of reasons sited here! Thanks for the good news!

By Cheryl N.

Jeff S. Your definition of 'hate' is subjective at best. Anger is a gift and I freely and proudly hate censorship. Cheryl N, great commentary. It's called shadowbanning and blocking. What people may not understand is that if one moderator somewhere hates on a poster, subsequently blocks that poster, they can retroactively remove all previous commentary ever posted. Hows that for a powerful tool to censor; Not just wiping out an individual statement and membership, but completely erasing all record of that individuals contribution.

By GuestGuestGuest G.

Does polly want a cracker? POLLY HATES CRACKERS! (Especially white ones) That's the attitude of Disqus. It's okay to hate whites but not okay toi point out true statistics of blacks.

By Kyle H.

The use of google's CAPTCHA by Disqus not only makes logging in impossible but also makes users wonder WHY a site like Disqus would ABUSE its users like this.

By Feet T.

No, he is not, lol! The people that "own" and "moderate" channels on Disqus are unpaid volunteers, that Disqus encouraged to "open up" channels on their home site about three years ago. The ability to open channels has since been closed by Disqus- and, now, the Disqus channel system has pretty much neglected by Disqus management. Anyone could have opened up a channel on Disqus at that time, to talk about anything. That's why there are so many political echo chambers on the home site run by your average Joe and Jane Doe. If you choose to comment on any of these channels, carefully read what they're all about before venturing any opinions or comments.

By Joan D.

Probably your IP address has been banned by a moderator you upset along the way. Some moderators on Disqus have even revenge posted peoples personal information because they posted things they did not agree with, alongside censoring their voice and denying their log in capability as well. It's true, on the Disqus boards right now. Oh, Disqus is a CA based company, now it all makes better sense to me, why they're so heavy handed and pro censor focused. Change your IP address, and log in with a different email, anonymity is key.

By GuestGuestGuest G.

News View is "owned" by extremely left leaning people. They make no bones about what their channel is all about. It's a left leaning echo chamber. If you want to "discuss" YOUR POV on Disqus channels, there are many right leaning echo chambers, err, "channels" on the home site that you would be more than welcome to comment on.

By Joan D.

Questions? Get answers from the Disqus staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Disqus