Review of Catawiki.nl

Tel: +31-85-8881501
jobs@catawiki.nl

jonr129
12/8/18

DLM Alechinsky available from the publisher Maeght in perfect condition for Eur 45 sells two weeks ago for £244, then incredibly last week £478!!!!! So I thought I would sell my copy ....after having to pay my own postage costs..you guessed it I got Eur 45 ish LOL so blatantly fraud or money laundering

marcellot1
11/14/18

Worst platform I've delt with, ever...
Not only they made a mess with the payment: first attempt catawiki confirmed the payment, then informed me the it hadn't gone through (because of my bank safety filters), then on the second attempt, I followed the instructions for an IBAN payment; this worked fine, I followed the link provided. Again, catawiki cancelled the payment, because the description of the payment was not clear! Meantime, I had been receiving e mails from a no-reply catawiki e mail, so I had no chance to reply and quickly solve the issue...my purchase was cancelled and when I thought that long waist of time was over, I received another email asking to pay the good (!!!) And in any case to pay the commission to the seller...I don't even know the amount of the commission!! As I consumer I have the right to cancel the order within 14 days without penalties. I don't think they can actually ask me this payment, since two weeks have not yet passed!

If you don't want to take the risk of waisting your time and money, avoid catawiki platform. Be careful!

debbiw53
11/11/18

Trading does not comply with website trading, very unhelpful and still have my money. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

merc1
10/23/18

If there is any professional..... I´ll be an astronaut tomorrow.

Some experts there (I gess arounf 95%) have NO IDEA about jewelry... They thing that someone who has work in a jewel store for few months have knowledges to tell me that my pieces are not good enough... (I do travel by myself to buy them, I´m goldsmith) well... that one who tells that my simple black pearls is really an haitian one.... HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! I´m just laughing up cause I have no more anger to express. Just burnt out.

kirkb59
10/14/18

STAY AWAY. IF YOU ARE DUTCH THEY LOVE YOU. IF YOU ARE AMERICAN THEY TELL YOU TO f OFF. ACTUALLY, THEY DO NOT RESPOND AT ALL AND THEY ALLOW DUTCH SELLERS TO STEAL FROM AMERICAN BUYERS.

CATAWIKI IS A CORRUPT COMPANY - PLEASE STAY AWAY IF YOU ARE FROM THE U.S.

IF YOU BUY SOMETHING THE SELLER CAN LIE ABOUT THE ITEM AND SEND IT WITH NO PROTECTION.

SIX MESSAGES TO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NOT ONE REPLY AND MESSAGE TOI THE DUTCH SELLER? HE JUST LAUGHS SINCE HE KNOWs CATASNEEKY ALLOWS HIM TO LIE AND STEAL MONEY FROM BUYERS.

TERRIBLE DUTCH COMPANY WITH NO BUYER PROTECTION SO YOU HAVE TO REVERSE CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD THE LENS BELOW WAS LISTED AS MINT. LOL FULL OF FUNGUS AND HAZE USELSESS

i

lucial22
8/7/18

thieves! They forced me to pay 250 for a shipment they told me I would not have to pay! I paid for them to send me back, because otherwise I could not talk to the seller! And when talking to her they tell me that she is not professional and can not return the money? !!! But what is this??!!!!
The order: Nr. 10620077
14. Vintage Industrial Cabinet - metal

ellicottw
8/1/18

Frustrating money machine - that's all catawiki is. 'customer support' are pointless drones, looking for the easiest solution with them keeping as many of their fees as possible.
I've received items back (claimed not working or damaged) that are completely different to the ones sent out, I have to pay seller and buyers fees, plus postage in both directions. On an item costing e.g. 100 eur, that's around 20 eur in postage costs and another 25 eur in fees. So you receive back something that's not working, damaged or different and you get to pay 45 euros for the convenience!

Go elsewhere as a seller.

jamesm1368
7/21/18

Im a user for 2 years and was fairly happy selling pictures on here--now out of the blue they have not paid me for 3 weeks or more--even after phoning to find out why ?-they said their are bugs on their payment system hmmm,
Not sure about that-I told them my phone and email bills need paying.They were ignoring my emails--hmmm was happy for 2 whole years then suddenly THIS>>>>
No bloody joke and I need to eat..they keep putting me off and im waiting for my £1400 ..which I earnt.. Up to you to use them.

ds202
5/17/18

Horrible experience. Will not pay me. They say I will get paid Wednesday, then next Wednesday comes and no payment. This happens over and over. This company is very good at hiding themselves and ignoring customers. Stay far away from them.

sweeq
2/27/18

To say that Catawiki's customer service and systems are poor would be an understatement. I could tell of many bad experiences but here're a couple: (1) my relationship manager (RM) recommended that when listing items, I should not mention the number of days they should run as it might "upset" the (obviously hyper-sensitive and, as I found on several occasions, pedantic and less-than-adequately-knowledgeable) "experts" i.e. auctioneers. I was assured by the former that he had advised his colleagues to list my items for not less than 7 days. Yet, too often, my items are listed for fewer days, resulting in poorer prices. (2) I recently tried to cancel a sale as I discovered the item was not fully operational and thus unfit for sale. When I reported to Catawiki, they (or their robot) replied to say I was contractually bound and had to deliver. Happily, the deadbeat buyer failed to pay (even after 3 chaseups by Catawiki) and they had to cancel the sale. Interesting that when they can't get the buyer to pay up, they can cancel the sale, but sellers can't. Compared to other online auctioneers (think of the obvious ones!), Catawiki is a joke - they also take ages to "approve" listings - and then ages more to actually list! Indeed, I have noticed that the market leading online autioneer (unlike Catawiki) has made dramatic improvements in their customer service and has become brilliant. Catawiki, on the other hand, seems to be seriously in reverse gear. As I have said to them, their approach seems to be "heads we win, tails you lose!". Never again will I sell on this disastrously arrogant platform.

eamonns
1/17/18

Slow service, high fees, terrible customer service, "experts" are clueless (approving obvious fakes, disapproving obviously genuine items, ridiculously inaccurate estimates of value, arbitrary changing of requirements which wastes ridiculous amounts of time). If you send an email to the info@ address to complain about the behaviour of an auctioneer you will get an automated response (if you are lucky) to say the complaint has been sent to auctioneer you complained about. And then, surprise surprise, you won't hear from the auctioneer. Completely unprofessional in every respect. Don't waste your time or your money. Unfortunately it is not possible to give a rating of minus five stars.

UPDATE: Catawiki has responded with more nonsense below. Two months previously I listed and sold items almost exactly the same as the ones they rejected this time. At that time this type of item was acceptable and now it is not? And there are many other similar items currently for sale on the site. Are they suitable or not? This stock reply was obviously written without any research into what actually happened and I have still had no reply to my official complaint. You can expect this type of nonsense from Catawiki. Unbelievably bad. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else! Google - catawiki swindle - or Google - catawiki reputation

Tip for consumers: Don't

lailag
9/30/17

We used it in the past, my other half bought from there, so I tried to sell a few items, I ended up leaving in frustration. You are lucky if you get paid, it seems most of the buyers there don't pay, of course you get the eMails from Catawiki that they chase the buyer up. Well, 6 months later still nothing. Then don't get me started on the experts, the items I listed were basically designer pieces, now I know you can't ever expect full retail price for an item but if somebody decides that the last line won't sell, and on another item, bought 4 months ago for 5K and sold out, evaluates it £140 - £230 I'm just stunned, I was even more stunned when I saw that the same "expert" had valued a high street dress just the same. The expertise must be a relative term, or actually a family relation.
They also don't seem to know the difference between the different lines of design houses, the black label seems to be the same as the much much cheaper lines, and if your old aunt who never read a fashion magazine hasn't heard about it, chances are the experts won't know it.
I tried to google the background of them, the ones they give on the website seem to be a work of fiction, because you would think that you should be able to find them somewhere.

If you're happy to deal with people who have no clue, get automated emails, get paid late as they keep your money for 2 to 3 weeks while you pay for postage (that is if you get paid, remember you can't sell the item somewhere else even if the buyer doesn't pay for weeks or months and got it for a steal as they insisted that it shouldn't have a reserve, so you sell for Pennies and don't get them)...

I read somewhere that Catawiki pays the staff extremely little and they're all part timers, they must pay peanuts really, given the quality, on the other hand, why would a real expert work for very little?

I thought my items are too valuable for eBay, well they certainly are too valuable for that whacky site and they're "experts".

ls124
12/9/16

As a member of Catawiki i was initially welcomed and invited to sell my items for free valuation by "apparent" experts who has sofar disagreed, changed opinions, ignored my mail (despite an automated system confirming the email submission) as well as rejecting items based on rules which seem to be applied differently!! But perhaps most disturbing is the attitude and language used by some so of the freelance so called "experts", whom seem to "dictate" a value rather than to suggest a valuation. And If you disagree they will simply NOT LIST YOUR ITEM or keep you waiting for weeks after weeks or simply ignore you instead to reject your item etc Example, i have had two items listed since beginning of NOVEMBER on weekly auction. Only if i agree with whatever valuation set by their "experts" i may be lucky to see my item go to auction. The concept of Catawiki is as good as it gets, however the people used and the actual application is not functioning as it should which is why Catawiki service level is in my opinion very poor reflecting to the costs of 12.5% plus VA. before i decided to publish my experience i honestly tried to engage my self in a constructive way with Catawiki and my disapproving of some not all valuations. It is unfortunate that some individual CAN and WILL block your listing should you disagree with their RESERVE estimation and this can vary to the many auctioneers.It is a very CONFUSING and TIME CONSUMING place to sell your item. I have therefore taken my items off this auction house to work with a more organized and responsive auction house.Catawiki is perhaps an auction house suitable to those who are willing to sell at any price, and that applies for valued item and high end products. catawiki requires to review some of their policies and ensure training to their freelance auction house as many are certainly NOT the experts they claim to be. In addition to create Templates as standard response to standard questions or infos as much of the translations can sound condescending to the sellers which may not result in the best response after all.Am i disappointed? Yes i am as i placed i hope on an auction house selling worldwide as the alternative to Ebay and others. Unfortunately Ebay seem to be a long way better in comparison which was not what i hoped for. Its obvious that i am not a great Ebay supporter. However i leave it to the many people to decide and make their experience. Good luck fighting...

There is customer support but you'll have to be patient. It can take weeks for them to get back to you. Buyers are protected, you just need to push and keep pushing. Sellers are required to send everything with tracking and insurance, so you should be OK.

By Aidan E.
Questions? Get answers from the Catawiki.nl staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Catawiki.nl