Review of Catawiki.nl

Tel: +31-85-8881501
jobs@catawiki.nl

jaya139
7/16/19
• Updated review

I finally did get a refund for the damaged fossil but it was an onerous process - emails back and forth with them, back and forth with the seller, waiting, etc. Sucked up my time for an issue that should not have been that big of a deal, since I provided photos of the damage to everyone, as well as the postal receipt for the return. They might want to instruct sellers to CAREFULLY package fragile materials - some do, some don't. I think they are still having growing pains. A negative aspect is, it's not like an actual auction where you can preview the merchandise - so, you're dependent on photographs to make a bid decision or not.

“Got ripped off”
5/23/19
• Previous review

Paid $194+ US for a fossil crab. In the picture, the crab has both claws. The specimen I received had one claw broken off, completely. When I received the package, it looked as if a 5 year old packed it and the broken off claw was nowhere in the package. This tells me that the seller KNEW he was not sending what he had portrayed in the picture, because it was NOT broken in transit.
Buy at your own risk - would not use again.

johnw1709
7/4/19

Careful of this site. They do not look after buyers. The feedback system is shocking and hard to use. They allow people to sell broken items and you havent a leg to stand on. Very disappointed in them.

charlesm591
6/20/19

Recently, I won a piece of electronics that was delivered to me in shambles. The seller packed the item poorly and the item and I suffered the consequences. The turntable did not get the worst of it. It was returned to the seller in the condition I received it. I, however, did not received a refund for the returned item. So, I got the worst of the bargain.

Despite 30 emails to and from Catawiki customer relations regarding the resolution and refund, I have yet to receive my refund. This matter has transpired over six (6) weeks and I have no recourse.

The custom relations group assured me the refund was in process but the funds were never transferred to me. As it stands this leaves me short of hundreds of dollars, frustrated and bitter about my experience with Catawiki. Moreover, I have reason to distrust the integrity of the site and it's statement of conduct and policy.

If a customer cannot return and receive a refund for a purchase then the transactions are offered in blind faith without merit. Catawiki's conduct in my experience should give potential customers reason to proceed with an abundance of caution.

rebekahs33
6/10/19

The description clearly does not match the items on their website and when it doesn't - they refuse to give you a refund.

New As per the definition of new the items are NOT NEW.

Sealed fasten or close securely this is not fastened or closed securely again the descriptions are false. It has no seal, is not secured securely with a sticker etc.

The fact that they are advertising products as sealed when they are not is against the
Trade Descriptions Act 1968 which prohibits false trade descriptions.

THEY ARE ADVERTISING ITEMS FALSELY ON THEIR WEBSITE!

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

louist31
4/25/19

All of a sudden emailed me and close my seller account. Ask them 3 times why and what happen, when they going to pay for my last parcel I ship to the buyer, no reply. They just took the money and no reply. Funny thing is they keep sending me email saying approved my lot but dont send me any email about the payment at all. Terrible customer service for seller as they dont even explain why they close your account.

aidane2
4/10/19

Too many bad experiences as a seller.
As a seller I've rarely had such a bad experience. You have no protection at all. catawiki see you as nothing more than a cashpoint to charge very high commission yet offer NO PROTECTION at all when something goes wrong.
My final loss on catawiki is around 200 euros. Why? Because the buyer sent me an incorrect address so the package was lost. Because the address is incorrect the package is uninsured.
catawiki see this is the sellers responsibility so the buyer is refunded.
Tell me in what world this is the sellers fault?

jacquelineb129
3/19/19

It is a pity I didn't take take time to find reviews on CataWiki before placing a bid. This is a site where one gets the idea that everything is reputable. There is a picture of an expert. One gets the idea that the products are checked by that expert. After my experience now I would say all fur coat and no knickers.
After my negative experience with CW I asked to speak to that expert. They say I can't. In theory it is possible that the so called experts don't even exist.
I made a bid on a violin which on arrival showed a fatal flaw. The neck is at a wrong angle so it is only playable if an expensive repair gets done. The seller claims ignorance 'selling for a friend' but was knowledgeable enough to not show the flaw on the photographs. This makes the item unfit for purpose. He didn't want to accept a return and CW claims the item was as described.
CW answers calls and emails but to no satisfaction and so far I have not spoken to an expert, but I did notice that they now have a different expert for violins since my purchase in February.
Do not buy with this bunch as pigs in pokes are waiting for you.

anas148
3/6/19

IT IS THE BADDEST SITE.
AVOID! IT IS THE WORST OF ALL KIND
KEEP AWAY FROM THIS FAKE ANEDOTE!

AVOID!!

jonr129
12/8/18

DLM Alechinsky available from the publisher Maeght in perfect condition for Eur 45 sells two weeks ago for £244, then incredibly last week £478!!!!! So I thought I would sell my copy ....after having to pay my own postage costs..you guessed it I got Eur 45 ish LOL so blatantly fraud or money laundering

marcellot1
11/14/18

Worst platform I've delt with, ever...
Not only they made a mess with the payment: first attempt catawiki confirmed the payment, then informed me the it hadn't gone through (because of my bank safety filters), then on the second attempt, I followed the instructions for an IBAN payment; this worked fine, I followed the link provided. Again, catawiki cancelled the payment, because the description of the payment was not clear! Meantime, I had been receiving e mails from a no-reply catawiki e mail, so I had no chance to reply and quickly solve the issue...my purchase was cancelled and when I thought that long waist of time was over, I received another email asking to pay the good (!!!) And in any case to pay the commission to the seller...I don't even know the amount of the commission!! As I consumer I have the right to cancel the order within 14 days without penalties. I don't think they can actually ask me this payment, since two weeks have not yet passed!

If you don't want to take the risk of waisting your time and money, avoid catawiki platform. Be careful!

debbiw53
11/11/18

Trading does not comply with website trading, very unhelpful and still have my money. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

merc1
10/23/18

If there is any professional..... I´ll be an astronaut tomorrow.

Some experts there (I gess arounf 95%) have NO IDEA about jewelry... They thing that someone who has work in a jewel store for few months have knowledges to tell me that my pieces are not good enough... (I do travel by myself to buy them, I´m goldsmith) well... that one who tells that my simple black pearls is really an haitian one.... HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! I´m just laughing up cause I have no more anger to express. Just burnt out.

kirkb59
10/14/18

STAY AWAY. IF YOU ARE DUTCH THEY LOVE YOU. IF YOU ARE AMERICAN THEY TELL YOU TO f OFF. ACTUALLY, THEY DO NOT RESPOND AT ALL AND THEY ALLOW DUTCH SELLERS TO STEAL FROM AMERICAN BUYERS.

CATAWIKI IS A CORRUPT COMPANY - PLEASE STAY AWAY IF YOU ARE FROM THE U.S.

IF YOU BUY SOMETHING THE SELLER CAN LIE ABOUT THE ITEM AND SEND IT WITH NO PROTECTION.

SIX MESSAGES TO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NOT ONE REPLY AND MESSAGE TOI THE DUTCH SELLER? HE JUST LAUGHS SINCE HE KNOWs CATASNEEKY ALLOWS HIM TO LIE AND STEAL MONEY FROM BUYERS.

TERRIBLE DUTCH COMPANY WITH NO BUYER PROTECTION SO YOU HAVE TO REVERSE CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD THE LENS BELOW WAS LISTED AS MINT. LOL FULL OF FUNGUS AND HAZE USELSESS

i

lucial22
8/7/18

thieves! They forced me to pay 250 for a shipment they told me I would not have to pay! I paid for them to send me back, because otherwise I could not talk to the seller! And when talking to her they tell me that she is not professional and can not return the money? !!! But what is this??!!!!
The order: Nr. 10620077
14. Vintage Industrial Cabinet - metal

ellicottw
8/1/18

Frustrating money machine - that's all catawiki is. 'customer support' are pointless drones, looking for the easiest solution with them keeping as many of their fees as possible.
I've received items back (claimed not working or damaged) that are completely different to the ones sent out, I have to pay seller and buyers fees, plus postage in both directions. On an item costing e.g. 100 eur, that's around 20 eur in postage costs and another 25 eur in fees. So you receive back something that's not working, damaged or different and you get to pay 45 euros for the convenience!

Go elsewhere as a seller.

jamesm1368
7/21/18

Im a user for 2 years and was fairly happy selling pictures on here--now out of the blue they have not paid me for 3 weeks or more--even after phoning to find out why ?-they said their are bugs on their payment system hmmm,
Not sure about that-I told them my phone and email bills need paying.They were ignoring my emails--hmmm was happy for 2 whole years then suddenly THIS>>>>
No bloody joke and I need to eat..they keep putting me off and im waiting for my £1400 ..which I earnt.. Up to you to use them.

ds202
5/17/18

Horrible experience. Will not pay me. They say I will get paid Wednesday, then next Wednesday comes and no payment. This happens over and over. This company is very good at hiding themselves and ignoring customers. Stay far away from them.

eamonns
1/17/18

Slow service, high fees, terrible customer service, "experts" are clueless (approving obvious fakes, disapproving obviously genuine items, ridiculously inaccurate estimates of value, arbitrary changing of requirements which wastes ridiculous amounts of time). If you send an email to the info@ address to complain about the behaviour of an auctioneer you will get an automated response (if you are lucky) to say the complaint has been sent to auctioneer you complained about. And then, surprise surprise, you won't hear from the auctioneer. Completely unprofessional in every respect. Don't waste your time or your money. Unfortunately it is not possible to give a rating of minus five stars.

UPDATE: Catawiki has responded with more nonsense below. Two months previously I listed and sold items almost exactly the same as the ones they rejected this time. At that time this type of item was acceptable and now it is not? And there are many other similar items currently for sale on the site. Are they suitable or not? This stock reply was obviously written without any research into what actually happened and I have still had no reply to my official complaint. You can expect this type of nonsense from Catawiki. Unbelievably bad. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else! Google - catawiki swindle - or Google - catawiki reputation

Tip for consumers: Don't

lailag
9/30/17

We used it in the past, my other half bought from there, so I tried to sell a few items, I ended up leaving in frustration. You are lucky if you get paid, it seems most of the buyers there don't pay, of course you get the eMails from Catawiki that they chase the buyer up. Well, 6 months later still nothing. Then don't get me started on the experts, the items I listed were basically designer pieces, now I know you can't ever expect full retail price for an item but if somebody decides that the last line won't sell, and on another item, bought 4 months ago for 5K and sold out, evaluates it £140 - £230 I'm just stunned, I was even more stunned when I saw that the same "expert" had valued a high street dress just the same. The expertise must be a relative term, or actually a family relation.
They also don't seem to know the difference between the different lines of design houses, the black label seems to be the same as the much much cheaper lines, and if your old aunt who never read a fashion magazine hasn't heard about it, chances are the experts won't know it.
I tried to google the background of them, the ones they give on the website seem to be a work of fiction, because you would think that you should be able to find them somewhere.

If you're happy to deal with people who have no clue, get automated emails, get paid late as they keep your money for 2 to 3 weeks while you pay for postage (that is if you get paid, remember you can't sell the item somewhere else even if the buyer doesn't pay for weeks or months and got it for a steal as they insisted that it shouldn't have a reserve, so you sell for Pennies and don't get them)...

I read somewhere that Catawiki pays the staff extremely little and they're all part timers, they must pay peanuts really, given the quality, on the other hand, why would a real expert work for very little?

I thought my items are too valuable for eBay, well they certainly are too valuable for that whacky site and they're "experts".

ls124
12/9/16

As a member of Catawiki i was initially welcomed and invited to sell my items for free valuation by "apparent" experts who has sofar disagreed, changed opinions, ignored my mail (despite an automated system confirming the email submission) as well as rejecting items based on rules which seem to be applied differently!! But perhaps most disturbing is the attitude and language used by some so of the freelance so called "experts", whom seem to "dictate" a value rather than to suggest a valuation. And If you disagree they will simply NOT LIST YOUR ITEM or keep you waiting for weeks after weeks or simply ignore you instead to reject your item etc Example, i have had two items listed since beginning of NOVEMBER on weekly auction. Only if i agree with whatever valuation set by their "experts" i may be lucky to see my item go to auction. The concept of Catawiki is as good as it gets, however the people used and the actual application is not functioning as it should which is why Catawiki service level is in my opinion very poor reflecting to the costs of 12.5% plus VA. before i decided to publish my experience i honestly tried to engage my self in a constructive way with Catawiki and my disapproving of some not all valuations. It is unfortunate that some individual CAN and WILL block your listing should you disagree with their RESERVE estimation and this can vary to the many auctioneers.It is a very CONFUSING and TIME CONSUMING place to sell your item. I have therefore taken my items off this auction house to work with a more organized and responsive auction house.Catawiki is perhaps an auction house suitable to those who are willing to sell at any price, and that applies for valued item and high end products. catawiki requires to review some of their policies and ensure training to their freelance auction house as many are certainly NOT the experts they claim to be. In addition to create Templates as standard response to standard questions or infos as much of the translations can sound condescending to the sellers which may not result in the best response after all.Am i disappointed? Yes i am as i placed i hope on an auction house selling worldwide as the alternative to Ebay and others. Unfortunately Ebay seem to be a long way better in comparison which was not what i hoped for. Its obvious that i am not a great Ebay supporter. However i leave it to the many people to decide and make their experience. Good luck fighting...

There is customer support but you'll have to be patient. It can take weeks for them to get back to you. Buyers are protected, you just need to push and keep pushing. Sellers are required to send everything with tracking and insurance, so you should be OK.

By Aidan E.
Questions? Get answers from the Catawiki.nl staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Catawiki.nl