Catawiki.nl

Catawiki.nl has a consumer rating of 1.23 stars from 31 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Catawiki.nl also ranks 141st among Fashion Jewelry sites. The most common issues with Catawiki.nl are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Terrible customer service for seller as they dont even explain why they close your account.
  • They allow people to sell broken items and you havent a leg to stand on.
How would you rate Catawiki.nl?

“Very good online auction”

Arie d.
7/27/19

The website is marvelous. Information about the proceedings of the auctions is very quick. Admininistration is very reliable.

“why Catawiki has a loss of $13.7 million ( Carlos Peña Renis )”

Donald M.
1/17/20

Now i know why Catawiki has a loss of $13.7 million. It happens when experts like Mr Carlos Peña Renis wasted my 1 month and at the end all lots were rejected and then i sold those precious jewellery into another platform in a week in a good margin. How big loss it is for the catawiki , how many other sellers might be rejected like that and look who is losing ( ONLY Catawiki ) because of these unprofessional experts. I tried to contact the help like and inform them about this issue , but no one is going to hear you. Means that like to loss revenue.

customer service (6) items (11) 3 weeks (3)
donaldm469
January 17th, 2020
Now i know why Catawiki has a loss of $13.7 million.
Means that like to loss revenue.
almokh
April 15th, 2020
Expert like Carlos Peña Renis in a jewelry department is a very bad name for Catawiki.
Very Racist , unprofessional and he will waste your time and then close your account because he also sells on Catawiki.
We have noted that few experts are selling on Catawiki themselves and will deliberately block other sellers who are selling the same items.
aidane3
April 10th, 2020
After more than 4 years & 2,500 sales catawiki has blocked my account as I questioned an auctioneer and point out he was listing fakes watches.
This is an amateur company with little or no support for sellers with antiquated & inflexible systems.
Sellers & buyers are nothing more than cash cows for this company, they charge 15% on sales to the seller, 9% to the buyer - ridiculously high for such poor service.
They will do whatever they can not to refund these fees leaving buyers & sellers to resolve issues themselves.
I've wasted a long time trying to make it work on here. This company is a joke. You would be well advised to use more recognisable auction sites.
ivanm162
April 16th, 2020
Sellers be careful : You will lose your time and be blocked from selling if you want to work regularly , especially in the Jewelry Category with Renis Carlos.
Dont waste your time here , better find another platform
danielv249
January 29th, 2020
Many of my items were sold through Catawiki, but they refuse to issue the payout for those items. They keep contacting the finance department which does not give any reason on the delay!
ALL of the items have been DELIVERED and ALL buyers are happy with their purchases.
I have been waiting for my money for more than a MONTH now!

Be Aware when selling on the platform! Expect to wait a looong time for the money to appear in the bank account!!!

You can all check thay i have a 93.3% positive feedback, but that wont matter! User on Catawiki: user-eedaa2b
jaya139
July 16th, 2019
• Updated review
I finally did get a refund for the damaged fossil but it was an onerous process - emails back and forth with them, back and forth with the seller, waiting, etc. Sucked up my time for an issue that should not have been that big of a deal, since I provided photos of the damage to everyone, as well as the postal receipt for the return. They might want to instruct sellers to CAREFULLY package fragile materials - some do, some don't. I think they are still having growing pains. A negative aspect is, it's not like an actual auction where you can preview the merchandise - so, you're dependent on photographs to make a bid decision or not.
Got ripped off
May 23rd, 2019
• Previous review
Paid $194+ US for a fossil crab. In the picture, the crab has both claws. The specimen I received had one claw broken off, completely. When I received the package, it looked as if a 5 year old packed it and the broken off claw was nowhere in the package. This tells me that the seller KNEW he was not sending what he had portrayed in the picture, because it was NOT broken in transit.
Buy at your own risk - would not use again.
davidj966
December 20th, 2019
So called experts , especially '' Mr.Carlos Peña Renis '' expert in '' Jewelry '' category is very arrogant , rude & unprofessional.
I have seem many sellers , who are complaining against this person , because so called expert has been rejecting many lots ( items ) from many sellers without any reason even their items are certified by reputed labs in the EU.
And now all these sellers are turning back to eBay & etc selling sites.
Which indeed is not only a big loss in terms of '' Revenue ''for Catawiki but also losing many sellers , because of these type of unprofessional & rude experts.
A group of sellers from UK, Germany & France have tried to contact the Higher Department in Catawiki , but as you know Catawiki's customer service is completely broken down.
I even tried many times to reach their higher management and to explain them that they are losing a huge sum of money , but no one cares and you are not connected to the right people.
The higher departments infact they dont know what is happening in the lower part by these so called '' Experts '' which is harming their hard work.
albertl97
December 26th, 2019
I listed few items in the Jewelry Category from Israel , but this Expert Carlos Peña Renis rejected the lots because he did not like it , even i had certificates from GIA which is well known all over the world.

I searched and found out that this Expert is linked to few selling accounts from Spain and Netherlands,
and we suspect that these accounts are related to Mr Expert Carlos Peña Renis.
Because all sellings are done in these few specific accounts and not other sellers are allowed easily by this Expert.
Therefore becareful with this expert , who will waste your 1 month and after that he will reject your lot because he does not want competitor.
From Israel we sellers have gathered and tried to contact the Catawiki , but waste of time.
Hope the CEO and other Managers can see these posts and take an action as soon as possible.
nataliem475
Natalie Mir
1 star: Bad
2 minutes ago
Fraud charges
I had a terrible experience with Catawiki. I won an auction for a pair of earrings and Catawiki charged my Visa right away but for some reason charged 5 less. I tried numerous times to pay the outstanding amount of 5using my credit card but their system would refuse the payment. I contacted the customer service that after a week suggested that I make a money transfer. I did that but apparently it was too late, the auction was cancelled. But Catawiki NEVER credited back the money for an item I never received. So now, after 10 months of trying to get my money back I have to file a fraud charges against the company.
louist31
April 25th, 2019
All of a sudden emailed me and close my seller account. Ask them 3 times why and what happen, when they going to pay for my last parcel I ship to the buyer, no reply. They just took the money and no reply. Funny thing is they keep sending me email saying approved my lot but dont send me any email about the payment at all. Terrible customer service for seller as they dont even explain why they close your account.
johnw1709
July 4th, 2019
Careful of this site. They do not look after buyers. The feedback system is shocking and hard to use. They allow people to sell broken items and you havent a leg to stand on. Very disappointed in them.
jacquelineb129
March 19th, 2019
It is a pity I didn't take take time to find reviews on CataWiki before placing a bid. This is a site where one gets the idea that everything is reputable. There is a picture of an expert. One gets the idea that the products are checked by that expert. After my experience now I would say all fur coat and no knickers.
After my negative experience with CW I asked to speak to that expert. They say I can't. In theory it is possible that the so called experts don't even exist.
I made a bid on a violin which on arrival showed a fatal flaw. The neck is at a wrong angle so it is only playable if an expensive repair gets done. The seller claims ignorance 'selling for a friend' but was knowledgeable enough to not show the flaw on the photographs. This makes the item unfit for purpose. He didn't want to accept a return and CW claims the item was as described.
CW answers calls and emails but to no satisfaction and so far I have not spoken to an expert, but I did notice that they now have a different expert for violins since my purchase in February.
Do not buy with this bunch as pigs in pokes are waiting for you.
andreac314
August 13th, 2019
Received an item after weeks, the item turned out to be fake, called them, was told they had already processed the payment, the seller gave a tracking number but didn't post for ages. They never handle an item, so you could end up bidding on something but getting something totally else, if you try to call them, their line charges premium
merc1
October 23rd, 2018
If there is any professional..... I´ll be an astronaut tomorrow.

Some experts there (I gess arounf 95%) have NO IDEA about jewelry... They thing that someone who has work in a jewel store for few months have knowledges to tell me that my pieces are not good enough... (I do travel by myself to buy them, I´m goldsmith) well... that one who tells that my simple black pearls is really an haitian one.... HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! I´m just laughing up cause I have no more anger to express. Just burnt out.
jamesm1368
July 21st, 2018
Im a user for 2 years and was fairly happy selling pictures on here--now out of the blue they have not paid me for 3 weeks or more--even after phoning to find out why ?-they said their are bugs on their payment system hmmm,
Not sure about that-I told them my phone and email bills need paying.They were ignoring my emails--hmmm was happy for 2 whole years then suddenly THIS>>>>
No bloody joke and I need to eat..they keep putting me off and im waiting for my £1400 ..which I earnt.. Up to you to use them.
aidane2
April 10th, 2019
Too many bad experiences as a seller.
As a seller I've rarely had such a bad experience. You have no protection at all. catawiki see you as nothing more than a cashpoint to charge very high commission yet offer NO PROTECTION at all when something goes wrong.
My final loss on catawiki is around 200 euros. Why? Because the buyer sent me an incorrect address so the package was lost. Because the address is incorrect the package is uninsured.
catawiki see this is the sellers responsibility so the buyer is refunded.
Tell me in what world this is the sellers fault?
jonr129
December 8th, 2018
DLM Alechinsky available from the publisher Maeght in perfect condition for Eur 45 sells two weeks ago for £244, then incredibly last week £478!!!!! So I thought I would sell my copy ....after having to pay my own postage costs..you guessed it I got Eur 45 ish LOL so blatantly fraud or money laundering
lucial22
August 7th, 2018
thieves! They forced me to pay 250 for a shipment they told me I would not have to pay! I paid for them to send me back, because otherwise I could not talk to the seller! And when talking to her they tell me that she is not professional and can not return the money? !!! But what is this??!!!!
The order: Nr. 10620077
14. Vintage Industrial Cabinet - metal
debbiw53
November 11th, 2018
Trading does not comply with website trading, very unhelpful and still have my money. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE
ellicottw
August 1st, 2018
Frustrating money machine - that's all catawiki is. 'customer support' are pointless drones, looking for the easiest solution with them keeping as many of their fees as possible.
I've received items back (claimed not working or damaged) that are completely different to the ones sent out, I have to pay seller and buyers fees, plus postage in both directions. On an item costing e.g. 100 eur, that's around 20 eur in postage costs and another 25 eur in fees. So you receive back something that's not working, damaged or different and you get to pay 45 euros for the convenience!

Go elsewhere as a seller.
ds202
May 17th, 2018
Horrible experience. Will not pay me. They say I will get paid Wednesday, then next Wednesday comes and no payment. This happens over and over. This company is very good at hiding themselves and ignoring customers. Stay far away from them.
sird3
December 1st, 2019
Catawiki made me sell chinese antiques from the 18th century as 19th century and did not care about proof of age or comparable items (luckily buyers have a better idea of the item, as the selling prices show).
An other object was under review for more than one month! After several emails, nobody cared and I deleted it from the list of submitted objects. A new one is already in Limbo for 3 weeks again...
Pre-Columbian Objects from a collection established in the 1960's... said to be fake !?
Two month later I resubmitted them. This time they got accepted... by the same curator...
I have seen items where more then ten years of experience screamed: fake... sell for hundreds of dollars!
Hands off this platform! If you are a seller and you are sure of what you got to offer!
When you are a buyer, you either get fooled by them, or find a nice antique for a small price, because they have no knowledge of what they are selling in most of the departements!
charlesm591
June 20th, 2019
Recently, I won a piece of electronics that was delivered to me in shambles. The seller packed the item poorly and the item and I suffered the consequences. The turntable did not get the worst of it. It was returned to the seller in the condition I received it. I, however, did not received a refund for the returned item. So, I got the worst of the bargain.

Despite 30 emails to and from Catawiki customer relations regarding the resolution and refund, I have yet to receive my refund. This matter has transpired over six (6) weeks and I have no recourse.

The custom relations group assured me the refund was in process but the funds were never transferred to me. As it stands this leaves me short of hundreds of dollars, frustrated and bitter about my experience with Catawiki. Moreover, I have reason to distrust the integrity of the site and it's statement of conduct and policy.

If a customer cannot return and receive a refund for a purchase then the transactions are offered in blind faith without merit. Catawiki's conduct in my experience should give potential customers reason to proceed with an abundance of caution.
eamonns
January 17th, 2018
Slow service, high fees, terrible customer service, "experts" are clueless (approving obvious fakes, disapproving obviously genuine items, ridiculously inaccurate estimates of value, arbitrary changing of requirements which wastes ridiculous amounts of time). If you send an email to the info@ address to complain about the behaviour of an auctioneer you will get an automated response (if you are lucky) to say the complaint has been sent to auctioneer you complained about. And then, surprise surprise, you won't hear from the auctioneer. Completely unprofessional in every respect. Don't waste your time or your money. Unfortunately it is not possible to give a rating of minus five stars.

UPDATE: Catawiki has responded with more nonsense below. Two months previously I listed and sold items almost exactly the same as the ones they rejected this time. At that time this type of item was acceptable and now it is not? And there are many other similar items currently for sale on the site. Are they suitable or not? This stock reply was obviously written without any research into what actually happened and I have still had no reply to my official complaint. You can expect this type of nonsense from Catawiki. Unbelievably bad. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else! Google - catawiki swindle - or Google - catawiki reputation

Tip for consumers: Don't

rebekahs33
June 10th, 2019
The description clearly does not match the items on their website and when it doesn't - they refuse to give you a refund.

New As per the definition of new the items are NOT NEW.

Sealed fasten or close securely this is not fastened or closed securely again the descriptions are false. It has no seal, is not secured securely with a sticker etc.

The fact that they are advertising products as sealed when they are not is against the
Trade Descriptions Act 1968 which prohibits false trade descriptions.

THEY ARE ADVERTISING ITEMS FALSELY ON THEIR WEBSITE!

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

In fact Catawiki is just an intermediate. Just like eBay. They assist in solving disputes, but they can't be held accountable. I am very satisfied with Catawiki. I bought and sold many photographica items and all went well.

By Arie d.