Review of Carousell

Singapore, SG 139951, SG
community@carousell.com

benniel15
10/5/18

Email to carousell on tuesday the 2nd and untill now the 5th on friday NO reply from them at all!

Worst customer service ever!

Update: I received their reply on the 8th oct.

andys228
10/3/18

Worse buyers available. Cheapskate and even asked for discounts for further 80% discounted items. Worst place to sell, your ads wont be able to see daylight unless you PAY to promote your items. Not to mention, they will BAN you if you exchange expletives after a heated exchage which the BUYER started. No protection policy if you're scammed either.

I really hope carousell crash and burn. They used to be good till greed takes over. Tech startup billionaire wannabe blinded by cashgrab.

mra47
9/7/18

Many sellers on Carousel are scammers because they can get away with it as the site is not policed.
They advertise items such as mobile phones very cheap and encourage you into paying for it using an insecure form of payment. Then they stop contact and the item never arrives.
No way to get your money back.
No way to directly contact anyone in Carousel for assistance.
No way to talk to Carousel staff.
When you report an incident through their messaging system nothing happens.
Even if you were smart enough to pay via PayPal and mark payment for goods to get your buyer protection it takes 3 weeks to get your money back.
My experience is not a one off. I have witnessed scores of scammers on Carousel. Even one that scammed me yet Carousel did nothing despite multiple reports and complaints. The scam account is hence still active.
There are a few genuine sellers but many of the listings are months old as the system does not automatically purge old listings.
This site is hence HIGH RISK! FORGET THIS SITE!

jackd225
6/30/18

Polish-up. Program need to improve. End-User blur after Post Add, items doesn't advertised. Some Advertisement need Payment but stated FREE ..!! Haha .. Don't Understand this Website .. SERIOUS, I'm not joking .. Pls Improved GUYS ..

alexb341
5/16/18

I purchased an iPhone 7 128GB RED from the Australian based user 'heyitsfaby'. Carousell had VERIFIED this user. Money was transferred directly into the bank account of the user, however the product has never been recieved. Not long after the money was transferred the account was been suspended. This was A SCAM.

I tried to get into contact with Carousell, sending them dozens of emails about this situation. Not only have Carousell, failed to reply, they continue to VERIFY users who are fraudulent, and create vicious scams.

My situation is not uncommon. This has happened to thousands of young online shoppers in the past year and it is unacceptable. Carousell need to have stricter guidelines and policies in place that protect consumers. At the moment it is a mere fact sheet about how to beware of dodgy dealers which fails to be both enforceable and effective.

AVOID carousell at all costs. Stick to ebay or amazon or other online shopping sites that have measures in place to protect customers.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE.
stick to ebay or amazon or other online shopping sites that have measures in place to protect customers.

victoriat66
2/19/18

Sometimes, i can't seem to find the exact thing i want to buy. It also takes a while to fill in all the details on the search function....

pearlyn
12/8/17

the verification process is a pain!! so many questions. very unnecessary. and it seems never ending to log in.

razelr
12/1/17

Scammed. Not secured .No user protection or follow up from the website. Would not recommend using.A few false reports is enough to get your account restricted.

mikh102
11/24/17

my acoount have been suspend when try to login via facebook however , I already asking to help Centre for this matter , but no reply at all.

radinm
10/8/17

The login screen now is modified. When you login, you are to through a process to verify that you are not a robot. And its quite painstaking, as you have to several rounds of clicking the images to match with the header. Bloody stupid

afin1
9/21/17

I recently opened an account mainly for selling used stuffs on carousell. Carousell is a great app to let go of preloved items and even sell new stuffs. Unfortunately selling on carousell has been quite an uninteresting experience due to buyers who despite sellers mentioning no bargaining/fixed price, still try to ask for lower price. Things sold on carousell are already cheap! So cheap! Sellers cant even get profits from it. Plus buyers eventhough I have a few times asked them to rate me (a feature that would let you give seller a good - smiley / bad - sad emoji) they have all failed to do so. This doesnt help other people in the carousell community to learn which sellers/buyers are good/honest so that they can choose who to deal with (which is difficult to do when dealing online). If u want to sell on carousell, do know what kind of market place u are entering, most people buying there are cheap skates. For me its just a place to get rid of stuffs for more space rather than gaining profits if unless u are using it as a platform for an already established shop/online shop.

fatimah24
9/10/17

Some things are sold for SO cheap but recently buyers can't seem to accept it & complain about it. It's like they only want to buy things that are only $1.

abbeyk2
8/16/17

Website told me there was nothing they could do after I was scammed by a user. No user protection or follow up from the website. Would not recommend using.

daems
6/29/17

Site has no seller protection. So if a buyer wants to take you down either because a) they're being an ass, or b) wants to take you down for less business competition or rivals, they can easily do so by just spreading lies all over the website by spamming everyone and everywhere to tell that your product is fake, or all stuff you sell are defective and some other things, just because something is making them angry.

A few false reports is enough to get your account restricted.

nicolew119
6/27/17

I had heard this was a great platform to buy and sell preloved items. I went ahead and uploaded a roughly 8 items of clothing for sale all under $10. I received a couple of likes immediately which I thought promising. Then nothing. I just kept getting notifications to come back and upload some more things. Even when I browsed to see if I would be interested in buying anything, there were so many listing to look at but they were all $#*! i.e just ads from users to come check out there profile and do you want to swap etc. When I could find actual items for sale they were asking for ridiculous prices - $45 for a used t-shirt? Seriously? I left it for a couple months forgetting that I had even listed anything and just last week i got a notification and an email saying they were going to hide my listings because I had not been active for a long time. They said if I log in, it would reset and the listings would remain active. So I did, I logged in and liked a few items. Today (a week since that email) I received another email saying that all my items have been hidden due to inactivity. I give up - what a complete and utter waste of time!!

alohar
5/29/17

They support the sellers for promoting your products. Promotions mean more sales! I super love
this site.

fannyw
4/24/17

For the first time I encountered a buyer with your prompt Red flag / caution that her account was suspended.
I find Carousell app very easy to place my Ads for Sale both Preloved and New ones compared with other apps that have limitations to the number of items to sell.
I highly recommend it.

allyk6
4/22/17

Used to be great in the beginning. But it somehow filters sellers. So despite outstanding rating and great items and high activity. My account never ends up in any promotions that my account qualifies for. I contacted them and they just said that it was an arbitrary human managed selection. I.e. Top sellers sale may be full of people with barely any and bad reviews. Lately I noticed my items don't even get the views at all. Some for weeks. When before I would have hundreds of views within the first day. And after upgrade my account lost functionality and access to groups (from mobile and computer browser).
Customer service takes several days to reply. Once took a week. For each reply.
Unless they fix it, it is doomed :(((

crisisip
4/6/17

Do not use this service - it is an absolute scam & they will rip you of all your money. The company will take no responsibility and deny any wrong doing - despite me being out of pocket almost $1000.

carousellscamw
10/12/16

This is a scam and they spammed my email trying to steal my password

adminb
8/20/16

easy to post an adv. simple design make easy for people to understand.

paulg131
6/6/16

I think I reviewed this site about 9/10 months ago on the fact that the buyers, sellers and the owner's control of the site were terrible. The site is now completely out of control with regard to fake and counterfeit items and the owners no longer appear to care, they are overwhelmed I guess. They should've have clamped down on this from the outset. I accept that this subjective and my experience so now here's my update of the site from a technical perspective- it doesn't get any better.
I continually have 'unread' messages in my inbox, I have to repeatedly log on for no reason. I get continuous error and timed out messages performing simple tasks. It is infuriating having to wait for the upload of pictures operation on mobile. I could go on but you see my point. The whole site, regardless of your viewpoint either as a user or from an ethical (no fakes) pov is crap! $#*!ing wake up and work to create something of value and stop cluttering the internet.

nicklaust
10/30/15

Just make sure the seller is trustable and reliable before making any purchase, if you are afraid of scammers, u can meet up and view your product before paying. Highly recommended!

janeb51
5/6/15

If you're Singapore based this would be the perfect app. People local to Singapore get lots of followers and seem to do decently in selling and offloading their (used) items. If you're USA based or located in other Asian countries, you might have a much harder time selling. It might be months or even a year before you make your first sale. No commission though - so that's great. Not as many people know about Carousell (as proven by it's lack of presence on SiteJabber!), you won't get as many followers, and because there's no consumer protection (essentially, this is merely a site to facilitate buyers and sellers to deal amongst themselves - there's no return policy or buyer protection program), buyers are probably more weary of purchasing anything on this site. If you can do cash on delivery locally, it's probably a safer bet. Beware though - there are PLENTY of scammers on this site who will say they want to buy your goods, pretend to be in your locale, but end up being a scammer from distant foreign country. The telltale signs are if they ask for your bank account details, full name, home address, telephone number, and for some reason want to discuss matters with you off the Carousell chat system to skirt detection. Do not fall prey to these scammers. Carousell has suggested methods of trading goods - follow those.

I have much faith in this app, and hope it does wonders in the future. But until they up their game on customer service, include more categories (perhaps a wedding section heh?) and introduce buyer and seller protection, much like Tradesy perhaps, it's success will merely be limited to Singapore. Nice touch with the promotional features on Facebook and Instagram etc.

Tip for consumers: Beware of scammers. Ask lots of questions as a buyer and seller. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Insist on trading locally, use paypal, and sellers, don't ship until you've received funds. Buyers - do your due diligence on the seller, ask loads of questions.

First of all I would ask how long you have had to wait. To me anything over forty eight hours in probably unacceptable. After that amount of time I would begin to get suspicious. Unfortunately I don't think there is a lot that can be done by way if recourse, I wouldn't waste your time with carousell as by reading my reviews you will know my thoughts about their app and how it blatantly supports the selling of fake items, so the fact they allow that standard of seller to operate extremely easily will tell you how much they care about buyer security, the two go hand in hand when you're dealing with that type of low level of seller.

By Paul G.
Questions? Get answers from the Carousell staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Carousell