Review of Amazon.ca

Seattle, WA 98109, US

20 reviews with 2 stars

mb430
11/8/19
Years ago Amazon.ca used to actually take pride in their service and products. I do find their customer service still fairly good but their Prime Membership doesn't actually guarantee anything. 3/4 items recently ordered did not arrive on time. Also the products have been used or defective. Since returning items is free it seems they don't actually care if the product is as ordered inconveniencing you is part of the process now. Wayfair, Amazon and Walmart all use 3rd party sellers and all of them have become "buy at your own risk" vendors. I am no longer ordering online as I am tired of the time investment required and the constant disappointment.
janets516
9/1/19
Three problems with orders.
1. Packaging has been much over packaged, wasting a LOT of paper and plastic and cardboard - in today's climate change world, this is totally irresponsible.
2. Amazon will keep offering you "Kindle Unlimited Membership", again and again, even after you have purchased this. I only realized today, that over a year have repurchased this twice, thinking I had refused it before. There is no way to cancel these purchases, so beware and check you records on Amazon to see if you have purchased this already, before you fork out another $9.99!
3. Packages from across the world are not designated as such, but are often poorly packaged, sometimes with damage to the goods, and to send it back requires you to put the parcel in a new package, and send it all the way back over 1000's of miles, often over oceans, for recompense for a smallish or large purchase. So, before ordering, check to see where the package is coming from.
patf120
8/14/19
Paid extra for 2 day shipping. its been a month and my producrs haven't even shipped yet. They're at the Canadian warehouse but apparently don't ship for 1-3 months.
larsf13
7/5/19
Purchased a $32 item handled and delivered by Amazon. When received it was found defective (and in fact the seller lied about the product too). When trying to return it, Amazon sends me a slip stating they will refund $2. The cheapest return price (all within Canada) is $12. So convenient for a major mail order company, and cheap of them - we alone carry the risk as purchasers. I then started the process of closing my account. Here more than 24 hr later after 4 emails, 2 calls and 2 chat sessions they still cannot close my account.
peterm149
6/2/19
I have been an Amazon Prime member for years now and up until recently, everything was going really well. I have noticed a sudden change with their shipping performance. I am still a Prime member and placed a few orders using the offered "guaranteed next day delivery". Not only did the items not arrive the next day, but I was told by Amazon that they wont arrive for another 4 days! Lucky I did not have to pay for shipping, but I have to say I was shocked at this turn of events. I will take this as a warning to myself, not to buy essential products anymore from Amazon and to just drive to the store to ensure I get what I need, when I need it. Its really a sad situation and disappointing turn of events.
anni10
1/21/19
Amazon use to be the good and cheapest now they are getting greedy.
Save your money and buy directly from the seller and skip Amazon all together!Pleas stop purchase form Amazon and support small business,
tuulah
12/28/18
tried to order an msi video card from their site. My credit card was declined twice without a reason. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my card (used it afterward to purchase the item from another online vendor without any issues) Tried to use another card and got a new error this time restricting me to 0 of the items. I contacted their support and was told that this was a limited item and i could only purchase 1. since i had tried and couldnt due to some issue with my credit card (which definitely was on their end) the failed attempt counted as my one purchase and i was no longer able to buy it! WTH??? I took my purchase to newegg where i used the same credit card without any issues to purchase the item.
This is ridiculous! Terrible customer service!
aimeew24
11/13/18
Amazon believes if the shipper just drops off parcel on porch and it disappears it is my problem. I didn't receive my item...I am out money....but not their problem. So for all I know shipper could say it was delivered and walk away with it or a person on the street can walk up and help themselves. At least Canada post puts it between doors or leaves a pick up at outlet card. I am out money and they don't care.
I used to be really happy with Amazon. This has caused me to want to close my account and I spend a good deal on this site
jf276
10/16/18
I recently ordered a book from Amazon.ca, this was to see if they were fast as Indigo. I paid for the fastest shipping option they had available, but for some reason this hasn't helped them ship it faster. They just can't seem to compete with Indigo, it was my mistake to think they could. Nice website, lots of products, but I think it was a bad idea to try buying from them. I'll consider them for other things, but they lost me when it comes to buying books. Don't pay for the premium shipping method, it's not worth it.
haroldl40
9/20/18
• Updated review
I had purchased a case for my Oculus Rift S headset from Urbansun through Amazon.ca which at the time stated for $12.98 they could deliver the product to me with in a few days. I waited the stated time period and then contacted them to ask where my shipment was and was advised by Urbansun that they had made an error on the Amazon.ca web site and the goods would not arrive on time but would arrive from China within a few weeks. I had asked for a refund on the express shipment cost of the $12.98 and they advised they would provide me with a credit once I received the goods. ( was dealing with Eva and Abby at the Urbansun should had know by then there was a problem not issuing the credit right away) Just want to let everyone know beware of this vendor they will not keep to their written word. I after several months waiting for my credit ( which they stated in a email they had already processed )and asking them why they offered a credit for $10.00 not the $12.98 after they stated they would refund shipping.When I suggested I would contact Amazon and have them look into this problem I was giving a credit right away for $10.00. It's not the $2.98 that I need its the principal that they are not keeping their word.( I will stated here that the product they supplied was of good quality) .I get the following response and I quote

"Sorry for your inconvenience.
We had contact before if there have any ways to make up for your disappointment?
Will still issue free shipping if you willing help to remove negative review.
Best wishes
Abby "

You can see if I will remove my review of their poor service from Amazon they will refund the balance of my credit. So beware of dealing with Urbansun via Amazon.ca.
“Service Reps make statements that Amazon corporate will not back up”
9/20/18
• Previous review
IT all started when I purchased a 3d printer, upon arrive I discovered that I could not level one of the corners of the printing bed. Thinking that I was new to the printer I was making a major mistake in the leveling process so for 3 weeks I tried to correct the problem to finally discover it was a defective unit and decided to return the unit to Amazon and purchase a new unit ( unit cost is around $750.00) I talked to nice lady called Soorya and she advised I could not replace the unit as it was from a 3 party but she could suggest I get a full refund and then re-order a new one. I told her I didn't want to order another unit at that cost and have the two on my credit card unit the return completed. She told me once I had taken the unit to the postal office and they could confirm it was on its way to contact Amazon and they would help me with a full refund so I could go ahead and purchase the second unit and only have the one charge on my credit card. So as of September 16 I contacted Amazon talked to Naveena and she now advises they can't issue the credit as per Sorya and it would be the normal 14 days from receipt of goods at their warehouse, upon questioning her on Sorya statement she offered to provide me with a credit in 3-5 business days from receipt of my goods. I wasn't happy so asked to chat with her next level of authority and was pass on to Robert. Glad I went up the ladder because all he said was it would take 14 days from receipt of the goods at their warehouse? As you can see it just gets better and better every time you talk to someone !!! I guess I would like to warn everyone that reads this review that Amazon can't backup any of their employees statements and they seem to just tell you want you want to hear and not react to a customers request. I have spent thousands of dollars with Amazon and I am starting to think its time to start thinking if a person should purchase any items from the on-line giant that Amazon has become. I would have happily lived with the 14 day wait period if two of their service reps had not promised me shorter wait times when I ask. Just wondering how many more people out there are having the same or similar problems with Amazon.ca?
staceya28
1/25/18
Purchased many items from Amazon.ca. Until recently I have never had an issue, well maybe some late shipments.

I have been trying to get a refund from a supplier(Online Happy Shopping, name now changed on item list) that does not return any emails. Notified Amazon CS. CS are not getting a response from them either. They said they would ensure a refund and started a claim. Well one month later and nothing. I could not leave any valuable consumer feedback regarding the supplier or product either. Feedback was not constructive??? I believe it was??? That's why I am here.

Another purchased item has proven defective for me. I now have to pursue the manufacturer for warranty. Only 30 day money back.

The amounts I have saved on these defective purchases doesn't offset the hassle and inconveniences i have experienced.

I have read that "sold and shipped only" through Amazon is the way to go. Not sure if that would eliminate all hassles but it may help.

Both of my bad experiences have involved third parties. I recommend staying away from them and will do so myself from now on.

I have enjoyed buying on amazon.ca up until these instances. Where is paypal?? I see why they aren't involved. I will proceed with caution when purchasing from this point and search locally for items. A good lesson to learn to set me back to the way I used to but things. Shopping with my feet not my fingers....oh I miss the 80's....
johnc849
10/20/17
If your order is wrong and you return it to Amazon you will not get your return postage back so be carefull when you order from them I had to find out the hard way that it would have been cheaper to throw the item in garbage and take the loss
daisym33
9/24/17
Amazon continuously uses a sketchy local carrier, Intelcom, despite hundreds of negative reviews from dissatisfied customers. Their solution to my parcel not getting delivered was to send out a replacement...by the same horrible carrier! I pay for Prime and yet I've been told by 2 different CSRs that if I want my parcel to arrive on time I need to have it sent to the post office and go pick it up. I've been assured that my feedback and concerns have been sent to the carrier team but nothing gets done and when I ask who I can speak with directly on the carrier team I'm told that info can't be provided. Horrible customer service by Amazon - they might be saving a few $$ by using a shady courier but they will lose far more than that in customer orders.
journeyh
Journey H.
9/16/17
Amazon frustration and disappointment with terrible, customer service.
This week I made my first order from Amazon, It was a camera and accessories for a birthday gift. In trying to track the order mid-week, I couldn't log in. I followed the instructions to change my password but still couldn't log in. After a few attempts,and emailing Amazon, with the problem, I decided to phone (how old school of me). I went to the Help tab for the contact number, but it turns out to get the phone number you need to log in. It was like a trick. Eventually I set up another account with a different email to get the customer service phone number.
I phoned and talked with "April" who told me my account was put on hold but knew no other infor and will have an account specialist call in the next 24-48 hours. She asked if got an email, to which I said no, otherwise I wouldn't be calling. I asked to speak to a supervisor who would have more infor. I spoke with "Diane" who had the same powers as April. Diane did tell me that a Manager or Account Specialist would call me in 2 hours. I was skeptical as I had no reason to believe this based on the experience so far.
My thoughts were correct and no one phoned. I called and spoke with "Josh" who knew nothing further and gave me another supervisor. This supervisor gave me the same story that an account specialist will call this morning. I said I don't have any reason to believe this will happen and to cancel my order. She said it can't be cancelled because the account is on hold and only and account specialist can do this.
I have no idea how this will turn out but have never experienced customer service where there is no communication with the customer, lies are told to appease the customer with no follow through, and I can't cancel the order.
roxannel9
8/9/17
Amazon needs to get rid of INTELCOME Ordered 160$ of stuff off amazon and well received a package of a 2$ dog brush that i did not order nor was it addressed to me. Opened it thinking it was the stuff i ordered And well where is my package? No one knows. But it was delivered some where. Never had a issue with amazon for 6 years and i am a heavy amazon user. Incredibly dissatisfied and disappointed that they would go through such a bad rated delivery company. INTELCOME is robbing amazon blind.
margaretw83
6/15/17
I ordered a canopy replacement for an 8'x8' Gazebo. It said it would be deliverded June 19,2017 then it said it was delivered June 13th. but it was not delivered to me.
It was delivered to what might be a bogus address, Walnutport PA US. I live in Newcastle On. Canada. I can not get any help from Amazon Ca and they have my money. I can't get any answere to my problem and I can't contact the seller. I think the seller is a scammer.
kawaiin
1/19/17
I ordered 2 squishy packages off amazon for my Daughter and The first one was good but the second one was Bad. The second one contained non squishy Squishys and Duplicates. I do not suggest ordering squishy packages off amazon.

Tip for consumers: Do not order squishy packages off amazon.

billyw34
8/16/16
Amazon advertised a big music sale in August 2016, up to 80% off selected items it said. And I ended up spending several hours browsing through their catalogue, picking up what I thought were pretty good deals. However, within a week, half my order was cancelled because of "incorrectly posted prices". Now I feel I wasted all those hours browsing through their immense catalogue. I still got some good stuff at great prices (this is why I'm giving them the extra star) but I would have likely not invested the time if they were just going to cancel half the stuff I put in my cart. Advice to Amazon: Don't advertise a sale if you cannot honour your prices!
davidt85
5/17/15
Yes that is a big BUT, The similarities end at the name, Amazon.ca is Amazon.com without the huge and varied inventory, the low prices the quick shipping the great customer service the ease of returns, I could go on but I think you get the point. Besides Amazon.ca is just really for Canadians that don't live close to the border, smoked a joint when they were a kid and the Americans still don't trust you, who knows what you could do now you may be a well respected Surgeon by day and family man by night, but deep down the Americans know that joint was not a onetime thing you have something evil brewing in what is left in that drug addled mind, or you have not figured out the shipping forwarders yet (the fact that they exist and how large and industry it is becoming speaks for itself) Or maybe some think that if you shop on Amazon.ca you are buying Chinese crap locally? I was joking here and really hope that phenomenon does not exist.
On a positive note if you do need cable or something from China and you are not in a hurry...at all. They have a pretty good handle on selling you Chinese goods that in a couple of months you will get a knock on the door, by this time you have forgotten what you ordered or the technology has already become obsolete. but you still do get to show your friends "look what I got all the way from Hong Kong. I forget what it is or does and the instructions are in Mandarin but look at the cool postage mark and how little the postage cost why we can't send a letter across the street for that" (plus it would take longer).
I bought a replacement Samsung phone battery that way, it was cheap and counterfeit of course it would not hold a charge long enough to turn my phone on. So then I had to try and guess where to dispose of it, It looks like a battery but act more like a piece of wood, pretty sure there was no lithium in it so I tossed it in the regular garbage..gasp, Yep that is what I did and it haunts me to this day.
heidir9
3/26/15
I use amazon.com all the time but I live in Canada so I ship items to a family member in the States. I would love to have the convenience of shopping from home but it in no way compares.

Don't believe their delivery guarantee. They are late 4/10 times and are unremorseful for it

By Debbie f.

I've never had to pay duty on anything from Amazon.ca, even if it was shipped from another country.

By Chris L.

Used to be but appears they may be changing their policies which effects anyone using the free shipping. The warehouse is in Brampton.

By Mary L.

Happened to me. Just another sneaky way that Amazon operates. Welcome to the club.

By Danilo M.

Certainly unfair.

By Chris l.

Questions? Get answers from the Amazon.ca staff and other customers.

14 Photos for Amazon.ca