Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

calikok
6/25/19

How can I watch Accorn on my Samsaung Smart TV.It doesnt seem to be available :(
so basically i cant watch it on a samsung smart tv

debrah241
6/20/19

I have had Acorn tv since it began streaming and loved it for several years but in the last year it has become worthless. Their programming director should be fired as they add 1 new program a week usually with 1 or maybe 2 episodes only, most are documentaries about WW2 or travel. The few British series they have added this last few years are 20 plus years old and the worst series I have ever seen "all in good faith" was not watchable nor is "straight forward" the newest Swedish series this week. I am cancelling Acorn but keeping BRITBOX as their programming is much superior to Acorn. I would recommend switching to BritBox if you love British TV as I do. Debra D

sharong288
6/11/19

They worked fine at first, but they no longer continue through out the program with out constant spinning. I is such a disappointment and a waste of money. I am afraid I will have to cancel. They are nothing but a fraud.
It would be a wonderful variety of shows if they were actually available. I wish there was a way to contact them, but once you have made your purchase, they are hard to locate.

paular126
5/15/19

The streaming service over all is ok if you don't mind a very limited number of episodes per program. The biggest issue I had was with their customer service. I was billed twice last month for my subscription. After over 40 emails back and forth with Robert A., their customer service professional, and having him tell me I was only billed once even though I submitted images of my bank account which clearly showed 2 charges back to back, then him telling me to check my account for a refund. 10 days later I still have not gotten a refund. Robert A. then told me to go through my financial institution to get the refund. That would have cost me $50.00. Supposedly my issue was "escalated" to a higher authority twice, each time that authority told me I had only been billed once. This back and forth continued for, as I stated above, 40 plus emails over 10 days. The last email they sent was asking for the last 4 digits of my debit card. That was on May 13. I have heard nothing from them since. I have not received a refund for the double billing. I have canceled my subscription with them and told them I would be placing negative reviews wherever I can.

jamesm1757
5/9/19

my wife and I have had our fill of everyday cable and todays stuff thats on american tv.

Acorn is a breath of fresh air and we really enjoy BBC tv shows.

We have dropped Netflix.

joannae9
4/25/19

I don't know what's worse--a rude person on the other end of a phone or email or no person at all. I've sent numerous email messages; no response. I have no other choice that to stop payment via my bank, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

thecolokids
4/21/19

I've been a loyal fan of Acorn since they launched. I was happy to pay $4.99/mo as this is my TV of choice. They have a great selection of BBC and world shows.

What infuriated me was that I had been paying $4.99 a month when I received an email from Roku stating PayPal had denied my payment and they my service might be interrupted with Acorn TV. I called PayPal and they report Acorn never trying to make a draft for the current month.

I logged on and discovered they had raised their prices $1.00/month to $5.99/month, same as Britbox. What a crappy way to reward loyal customers -- don't inform them there is a pay hike coming but just cancel their service and make them renew at the higher price.

I'm switching to Britbox for sheer principles of nothing more. To bad because I like Acorn better and used to sing their praises to anyone who asked. No more.

I hope Acorn drops from the tree due to poor customer service and deceptive practices with pricing.

kenk209
3/22/19

Be very weary touching the button that says free trial because you are then locked in for $6 us a month and it almost needs a Philadelphia lawyer to get them to stop charging you that.
I fell into that syndrome and because they do not give a cancellation number the credit card company will not go after them for the funds

lydias58
3/15/19

After 2 months where everything worked fine, the service stopped working. Sent 5 emails. No response. Googled phone number and spoke to a company totally unrelated and he said they had been getting countless calls for Acorn TV and they had absolutely nothing to do with Acorn TV. Had to contact credit card company to cease payments. Customer service: non-existent. Stay away.

sandras508
3/1/19

I signed up for a trial period through Amazon. I cancelled October 20, 2018. They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99. Amazon says they have no record of the charges. My credit card company is now involved. Still no resolution. I would advise anyone who is thinking of signing up. Don't! This is a ripoff.

carolinem125
2/15/19

Acorn tv does not have the option to stream in SD, it uses 3gb per HOUR. No option to change it. If your internet has a cap on usage amount DON'T subscribe. If you have questions about anything, you have to email them and wait for a reply.

gc140
1/28/19

My wife and I watch Acorn presentations via our Roku device. I seem to recall paying something like $50 for an annual subscription which is excellent value when we factor in the number of shows we have watched and enjoyed. In fact, a few of our very favorite shows are only available on Acorn. We did have a concurrent subscription to Britbox but didn't find any added value so we decided to drop Britbox. I see folks have complained about the application but as we use Roku we can't comment. Certainly we have never experienced freezing, downtime, etc. We would rate content as an 8 on a 10 point scale. Just don't have any notable complaints. Just want more as we are consuming content faster than it is available!

michealg15
1/25/19

I purchased mainly to watch new series Agatha Raisin...but even Series One not available. Give it a few months but expire my card if refund is nor available. Mostly old hat shows.

cherylt127
11/29/18

If you sign up, DO NOT pay them annually. Their App no longer works with Samsung and I only received a refund upon noticing I had not received one and contacting them to ask about it. 2 months after cancellation, I have received a refund.

letitiar2
11/20/18

I have been lied to so many times today that I have lost track. This used to be my favorite. Something happened in July. The app ceased to work with Apple. The company lied and said they just learned about it. I was told this TODAY, in NOVEMBER. The app store reviews back me up. They don't answer their emails. NONE OF THE ONLINE NUMBERS WORK. Everything connects to Totes, who are the US company. AGAIN, NONE OF THE PHONE NUMBERS WORK. I finally got a Totes employee who told me to call 844-734-8466. You will not find this number connected to this company. Sometimes employees will lie and say it is a wrong number. Sometimes it will just not connect. Keep calling. Eventually it will work. They will say this is a recent problem that they just learned about TODAY. LIE. They will tell you you must cancel thru Apple. LIE. Something has gone very wrong at this company. RUN AWAY.

beverlyk65
11/20/18

I don't understand why this company cannot solve the problems in its app which have garnered Acorn TV uniformly terrible reviews in the online reviewer community. I am constantly calling Customer Service (human being -- 888/370-2597). In contrast, I have NEVER had to call Netflix Customer Service.

It appears that no one at Acorn TV is monitoring online comments. Perhaps they simply don't care that their company is becoming a laughingstock.

paulm1006
11/15/18

I had Acorn in the US and now that I'm in Latin America I subscribed again. The content is good - the App works well and the picture quality is fine. What isn't good is finding out that the amount of content licensed for outside of the US seems to be VERY - and I can't stress that enough - limited. Every new program isn't available. On going back to Acorn their response is that some programs aren't licensed for the country I'm in. I don't doubt it, but Acorn seem to keep that information to themselves (probably to the point of misrepresentation) both in their sign up materials and in all of the messages they send advising of new content.
Rolling this out internationally to more expats seems to have been badly thought out. If they don't hold the copyright for countries then why make the service available?

peterg328
11/12/18

I have enjoyed programs on Acorn TV--I'm a great fan of British TV. After about a month I have gone through most of the programs that I wanted to see. I assumed that new programs would be forthcoming. NONE HAVE. I have tried to communicate with Acorn for about two weeks: getting the royal run around. I suggest trying Acorn until you have seen what you want and then going to other British sites like BritBox.

jamesj574
10/29/18

I signed up for the free trial demo for the week. 2 days before it was up, I sent written notice. These A**holes still charged me and no matter how often I ask for a refund, they give some f-ing excuse like I need to deal with I-tunes which I don't even have or belong to. Don't sign on to these A**holes. Nothing but a bunch of crooks probably based in Nigeria or other country known for ripping people off.

waynec158
10/8/18

Acorn TV was my go-to for watching British TV. Watch for years using a Amazon Firestick. Now it just crashes out of the app. Speed test shows more than adequate bandwidth. Firestick attached via Cat5e to switch. The ability to use Apple devices to Chromecast is gone as the Chromecast icon in the app is no longer present. Trouble tickets appeared to be automated with no one doing anything. Something bad is going on with Acorn TV.

helenem25
10/6/18

What is going on with Acorn TV. I used to be able to watch without any streaming issues on my Samsung 4K Smart TV, lately the videos freeze up and re-set and then I have to go back to the main menu and scroll through the menus to resume watching. I want my money back, but I've paid through August 2019. I cannot get any response from Customer Service--do they have anyone at the Service Desk? I am so disappointed the quality and do not recommend Acorn TV anymore.

terif16
9/30/18

The programming is great - if I could watch an entire episode without it freezing in the frame and restarting. Continual issue. And you have to find the program each tome and find where you left off. Ridiculous waste of time. And good luck getting any customer service whatsoever. Canceling my subscription, which is a shame because I like the shows... well, I did until it got to where I can only watch about ten minutes max at a time before it resets itself- and then back to finding the episode I was watching. Don't bother. Horrible service

philm138
9/29/18

signed up for year subscription on 26 sept 2018 could not get app to work on samsung 4k tv, emailed Acorn on 27th and again on the 28th no reply so assuming they must all be on holiday lol and asked them how to get the app working. thenon sept 28th 2018 noticed as of the 27th samsung no longer recognises the acorn app. Did samsung just say that the morning of the 27th and was it a surprise to Acorn?? on the Acorn web site said that you can get Acorn Tv through Amazon Prime but no instructions how to do it. Seems they dont care they got my years subscription money so now have to try to get it back.

Tip for consumers: DON'T GET FOOLED BY THE CHEAP MONTHLY PRICE IF YOU CANNOT GET ALCORN TO WORK ON YOUR TV THEN THE CHEAP PRICE IS EXTREAMLY EXPENSIVE

tinat20
8/28/18

I have no complaints but I also rarely use the app. I watch on a regular PC using an old TV as a monitor. The few times I have used the app on my Samsung Galaxy, it has worked fine. The shows are great but it seems like they are very current or from the 70s with little in between. Add more shows please!

brendaw179
8/25/18
• Updated review

My original review stated the app wasn't up to date, and shortly after I was fed up and wrote it, about 2 weeks later, everything changed. It now stops and I can continue on another T.V. It keeps track of what you've watched. Now if only Apple T.V. wasn't so difficult to use, we're getting rid of that and getting another Roku, which is awesome.

“Love the programming.........but........”
8/25/18
• Previous review

I love the shows offered on Acorn TV. But the app is way behind the times. It doesn't let you resume a show, that's crazy for a streaming app. We have 3 people in our house, and are often watching different programming. If I stop in the middles of something, I literally have to old school it, and pause the program and write down where I left off. It won't even take you to the season you were watching, much less the episode.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV