Acorn TV

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 1.93 stars from 187 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Acorn TV also ranks 67th among TV Shows sites. The most common issues with Acorn TV are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 7.1%

No positive highlights yet

• As other users have noted, customer service is appalling.
  • They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Had no problems, decent shows”

Todd D.
1/20/20

I had signed on to Acorn TV for a month or two several times over the last few years. Never had a problem canceling when I wanted to switch to something else. They have some good shows that can keep you entertained for a while (Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer Murders, Foyle's War, George Gently etc.)

“Poor quality viewing and customer service”

V H.
5/14/20

Several shows have horrible quality picture. Customer service is non-existent. I contacted them several times with programming questions and after many weeks got an email stating that hopefully my problem was resolved by then, and if not, to open another ticket!! They charge me different amounts each month. I was finally able to get them on Facebook Messenger but they refused to answer my question about being charged inaccurate amounts. Cancelling my subscription. Too much good competition from which to choose.

customer service (46) credit card (17) apple tv (7) 2 months (5) british tv (8) tech support (7) amazon prime (5) samsung smart tv (4) email (43) good luck (4) 10 days (3) murdoch mysteries (3)
vh50
May 14th, 2020
danielaa25
January 19th, 2020
Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.
lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020
Cancelled a week before the renewal date.. crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund.. apparently despite my cancellation.. which Google play logged.. acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help.. acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!!!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app
asherj1
February 7th, 2017
This may be the most affordable streaming service with prices starting at $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year. They'll give you a week to try it for free. I didn't expect much because of the cheap price but now i find myself watching Acorn TV more than the other channels.Their customer service was very pleasant and professional the one time i contacted them for assistance getting the service setup on my TV. I highly recommend subscribing.

Tip for consumers: I haven't noticed any system requirements but as a veteran streamer, i recommend having at least 8 gigs of RAM even with a fast internet connection. This will be helpful when streaming during common hours

susanh1166
April 11th, 2020
Acorn offers an impressive selection of British tv series but only the current season is included in your subscription. Earlier seasons are available only through iTunes at $2.99 an episode or $14.99 per season, as we discovered in the series "Vera". The same proved to be true for other offerings. Decided to cancel after first viewing session and truly disappointed that iTunes is in on the deal. Now hoping the cancellation will actually go through without continued billing to my credit card, as has apparently happened with many other disappointed customers.
toddd251
January 20th, 2020
ralphc159
June 11th, 2020
This is an App that has been used in the USA and it shows. Around 70% of the programmes I chose to watch informed me that they were only available in the US thus wasting my time. When I queried this with Customer Support, I got neither acknowledgement nor an answer. I discontinued my trial and would advise others to do the same.
lawrencem193
April 25th, 2020
I activated the service 4-9-2020 for the 1 month trail to see if we liked. Gave credit card info, contacted them per their method as to how to do an annual service if we decide to keep and got NO RESPONSE? Then got charged for a month usage on 4-16-2020. Resent another ticket (EMAIL) today 4-24-2020 asking why I did not get a prior response, was charged for a month and not directed how to do an annual purchased fee if we decided to keep. Time will tell if they read this review or if customer service will return from their hide out?
jenniferh1564
June 12th, 2020
l believe that this app is a con and is a cheap copy of the real shows. Maybe from Asia like the fake copies of DVDs. Shocking blurred pictures and stops and starts all the time. lt even caused my Netflix and Stan not to play!!!!!!! Do not connect this piece of trash!
joed585
January 19th, 2020
Three months after canceling this service, (they require you to insure they did it after receiving and confirming your email to cancel), they are again charging my bank account for the service I don't have. This is after they confirmed they canceled my account three months ago. Unless they offer you an option like Paypal don't give them your bank account info or you will be sorry. Then again just don't get IT since I cancelled it because except for a handful of exceptions everything is just very old repeats.
cp228
June 30th, 2020
Love the shows, hate the blurry pictures. Lacking the crispness makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. With all the other choices out there, if they don't improve I'll canx.
tessh14
May 13th, 2020
The site has now charged my credit card three months in a row. However, when I log in, I am told my account has expired and I must purchase a membership. After repeated attempts to resolve with Acorn's "customer service," I filed a fraudulent charge complaint with Master Card. Save yourself the headache!
candaced5
June 19th, 2020
THIS MEDIOCRE OUTFIT HAS OLD OLD PROGRAMS AND STINKS. CUSTOMER SERVICE DOUBLE BILLED ME FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS. WOULD ONLY REFUND 3 MONTHS PAYMENTS. THEY SUCK YOU DRY AND GIVE YOU $#*! TV. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. BRITBOX IS BETTER.
lenorag7
May 1st, 2020
A friend gave me a gift subscription to Acorn. Beyond the free week, after which I was required to subscribe (I didn't) I can't tell you how I liked the channel. But I can tell you how I dislike the Customer UnService. It's pitiful. It's nonexistent. When someone would respond to an email, their help was to call me a valued customer, send me to a subscription site, and not answer my question. I was able to talk to a human once, who also gave me no help. I have repeatedly asked them to refund the money to my friend, which they have not done. Recommend Acorn TV? Not just no, but no way!
brendan186
May 26th, 2020
Do not sign up for the free trial. It may not work. I could not access any Acorn tv shows after signing up. I tried to cancel...they make it SUPER HARD. I got charged. Now finally after much searching believe I have managed to cancel. Now to get a refund.
osianaf
June 29th, 2020
KEEPS STEALING MY MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT! This has caused my mental health the skyrocket as well. It keeps trying to take 5 pounds out my account EVERY OTHER DAY even though I have cancelled my Subscription. I have proof of EVERYTHING. I don't even know how to fix it.
dennisb398
November 6th, 2019
We have been subscribers to Acorn for several years and enjoyed the all-English menu. However, when our interest turned elsewhere we found that the Acorn does not provide a mechanism to terminate the subscription and does not respond to request for help. As a result we continue to pay the monthly fee for a service we do not watch with the only alternative for relief being cancellation of the credit card. So, if you are thinking about subscribing to Acorn my advice is to not do it as it is essentially an internet scam.
donalds238
July 16th, 2018
I like many of the offerings on Acorn. But getting them to address the problems with their application is very difficult. A problem recently arose where, when I click on the series icons for Vera or Midsummer Murders, the Acorn application exits and takes me back to the Roku Home screen. Their supposed workaround isn't really workable. And, I agree that the new interface is a disaster, clunky, slow, and missing vital functionality that was available in the previous version.
lindan410
April 14th, 2020
Used to watch shows for free. Now 2.99 and more to watch. Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. Why?? Ready to cancel
nancyc786
April 25th, 2020
I opted to try Acorn tv after disappointment with Britbox and requested the free trial. After the one week "free" my account was billed for $5.99. Fine with it. Three weeks later billed again for $5.99 meaning there is NO free one week trial. Contacted Acorn and ignored. Will binge watch this month and cancel.
mc887
January 26th, 2020
You watch a few shows in a series and then to continue watching the series they charge you $4.99 PER EPISODE!!! What a ripoff. Cancelling my subscription.
cw468
April 26th, 2020
I have browsed a few of the series and I find the visiual quality very poor. very dissapointing, a lot of very old shows and I prefer more uo to date. Cancelled within 3 days of free trial.
lydias58
March 15th, 2019
After 2 months where everything worked fine, the service stopped working. Sent 5 emails. No response. Googled phone number and spoke to a company totally unrelated and he said they had been getting countless calls for Acorn TV and they had absolutely nothing to do with Acorn TV. Had to contact credit card company to cease payments. Customer service: non-existent. Stay away.
kenk209
March 22nd, 2019
Be very weary touching the button that says free trial because you are then locked in for $6 us a month and it almost needs a Philadelphia lawyer to get them to stop charging you that.
I fell into that syndrome and because they do not give a cancellation number the credit card company will not go after them for the funds
rw388
November 18th, 2019
We are a huge fan of British television, going way back to the 70s and Monty Python, the Goonies, Fawlty Towers, the Two Ronnies, etc. So we were excited to see that we could view again some of these shows on Britbox and Acorn TV through Amazon Prime Video. We did the free week with Britbox and then subscribed for two months until we had exhausted all the episodes of all the shows we wanted to watch. Next, we did the free week with Acorn and have now subscribed for a month to watch Vera, Foyle's War, and others not available on Britbox. The two services are night and day. We use new Roku's to stream. We never had one issue with Britbox. We have daily issues with Acorn. Buffering, choking, restarting, and when you finally are able to get through an episode, the app freezes and doesn't return to the menu. Not only that, you have to exit back to the main Roku home menu (top right button) to recover the device. I had read numerous complaints about Acorn and their buggy app. The same thing happens on Firestick which I have a new one installed. I sent an email to Acorn customer service but got no response, not even an email saying they received my email and are working on it. Also, not all of the Foyle's War episodes have closed captioning/subtitles even though they are ALL marked as having such. I am hearing impaired and the thick British accents make it impossible to understand. When these air on PBS or are played from our library's DVDs, they all have subtitles. I feel we are being cheated of the money we are spending. We will not be renewing the subscription. Britbox has it down and does it correctly. Acorn is a fail!

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Bes B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.
See more answers (2)

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Bes B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

Acorn TV is a subscription streaming service offering the best British TV on-demand, commercial free. Shows include favorites like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Foyle's War, Doc Martin, Jack Irish, Agatha Raisin, The Level, and many more. Fre...

matthewg38
AcornTV T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn TV?

Have a question about Acorn TV?