Acorn TV

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 2 stars from 206 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Acorn TV also ranks 54th among TV Shows sites. The most common issues with Acorn TV are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 11.9%

No positive highlights yet

• Acorn TV has probably the worst Customer Service of any company I've ever dealt with.
  • I only discovered this after I lost my credit card and the payment was rejected through Roko.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Good value for money”

Jennifer W.
10/11/20

I have been getting a laugh out of some of the reviews, what a sensitive lot some of you are, lol Violence, murders, they are police shows and stuff what were you expecting, Sesame Street. Anyway, I love watching all the shows I have missed out on in Foxtel and one good thing, no dam adds. I had to contact Acorn about 4 months ago about my payment and had no problems. Also I have had no trouble with the picture on my laptop or TV

“Poor quality viewing and customer service”

V H.
5/14/20

Several shows have horrible quality picture. Customer service is non-existent. I contacted them several times with programming questions and after many weeks got an email stating that hopefully my problem was resolved by then, and if not, to open another ticket! They charge me different amounts each month. I was finally able to get them on Facebook Messenger but they refused to answer my question about being charged inaccurate amounts. Cancelling my subscription. Too much good competition from which to choose.

customer service (50) credit card (19)
vh50
May 14th, 2020
danielaa25
January 19th, 2020
Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.
sp213
July 27th, 2020
Was looking forward to a year of streaming British TV content and signed up. After browsing it found there is not enough to warrant a year subscription and sent an email requesting a refund.
It's now been 8 days and 5 emails with no response other than 'we see you've sent an email previously and are combining the tickets'.
Also note there is no phone number contact for customer service.
lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020
Cancelled a week before the renewal date. Crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund. Apparently despite my cancellation. Which Google play logged. Acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help. Acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app
jenniferw1209
October 11th, 2020
susanh1166
April 11th, 2020
Acorn offers an impressive selection of British tv series but only the current season is included in your subscription. Earlier seasons are available only through iTunes at $2.99 an episode or $14.99 per season, as we discovered in the series "Vera". The same proved to be true for other offerings. Decided to cancel after first viewing session and truly disappointed that iTunes is in on the deal. Now hoping the cancellation will actually go through without continued billing to my credit card, as has apparently happened with many other disappointed customers.
lawrencem193
April 25th, 2020
I activated the service 4-9-2020 for the 1 month trail to see if we liked. Gave credit card info, contacted them per their method as to how to do an annual service if we decide to keep and got NO RESPONSE? Then got charged for a month usage on 4-16-2020. Resent another ticket (EMAIL) today 4-24-2020 asking why I did not get a prior response, was charged for a month and not directed how to do an annual purchased fee if we decided to keep. Time will tell if they read this review or if customer service will return from their hide out?
godfreys17
July 28th, 2020
Warning - do not expose children to this horrific channel. It is horrifically violent and every second movie concerns a death. For example a movie starts quite peacefully, and within 5 minutes, a father is shot to death in front of his son on beach. There are also commercials. Let's run these people out of town.
johnw2942
July 10th, 2020
I've been trying to reach Acorn TV support for over a week to do a simple subscription automated billing change and though offering repeated requests through their online "support" no response.

Because of it, I'm thinking of changing to Britbox to get a company that actually cares about having customers.
ronh620
August 2nd, 2020
I tried to quit Acorn starting in February and finally got some success in July. Even though we did not watch any shows during that time they 'agreed' to a refund and sent two months' worth but had already charged us again on June 29 in spite of my various emails and calls so in effect we got one refund. Acorn needs to get their people on the ball to respond quickly and effectively to customers' issues. This has soured our relationship with the company and though we enjoyed the site at the beginning we quickly ran out of good shows to watch. There are so many streaming sites to choose from — we won't be back.
cp228
June 30th, 2020
Love the shows, hate the blurry pictures. Lacking the crispness makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. With all the other choices out there, if they don't improve I'll canx.
rosiea37
August 2nd, 2020
I purchased a year's subscription to Acorn in March 2020 directly from Acorn--big mistake. They are very difficult to reach. First of all, the year's
Subscription was a mistake because most of the programming isn't that good. But on 7/1 my access stopped and my message says I have to subscribe in order to see programming. I've sent 2 emails, both times I just got a we'll get back with you email. No other way to contact them. Had I gone thru Amazon, Amazon CS said they would have dealt with the problem on the phone. There's no way that I've found to just go into my account and input my password to get it going again.

8/3 I just got an email asking me to let them know if the problem has resolved itself! Now I have to wait again!

8/9 No further response from Acorn and no connection.

8/17 No further response and still no connection.
samuely37
July 30th, 2020
Definitely better than Australian Netflix and unlike a lot of streaming platforms has very good quality shows, even if they do have some buffering problems the content quality and the low price makes it more than worth it
ah491
October 1st, 2020
Keep charging credit card even though i have called more than once to cancel this past year. Getting emails stating i have an account and that they want payment.
STAY AWAY!
traceym230
August 8th, 2020
Tried watching two episodes of dead still but the poor connection made it a very disappointing watch. The quality of the picture was in the main good but the buffering ruined it. New to the channel but will be unsubscribing. The content list seems pretty good, programs I would like but too watch but to many issues with the connection.
ralphc159
June 11th, 2020
This is an App that has been used in the USA and it shows. Around 70% of the programmes I chose to watch informed me that they were only available in the US thus wasting my time. When I queried this with Customer Support, I got neither acknowledgement nor an answer. I discontinued my trial and would advise others to do the same.
dlj2
July 16th, 2020
Doc Martin is a favorite, and i never noticed it's cast was all white. But on ACORN's opening screen every face is white. Very sorry i subscribed for a year! And as others have mentioned some shows are extremely low res adn blurry. Good grief!
patrickl368
August 30th, 2020
I took advantage of the 7 day free trial
I searched for Jack Irish - it only has Series 1 - it is up to Series 4
I searched fo Die Hard (bruce Willis) - no result
I searched for George Gently - they only had Series 7
I then made the decision that Acorn TV is too limited in its available content - but I give them 10/10 for allowing trial
petea248
August 4th, 2020
Many of the programmes are incomplete - for instance Balthazar only had first season and when season 2 appeared it only had 8 out of the 10 episodes - why? Very frustrating - and, why are some programmes not free to view if you take out a subscription? Not worth considering.
danielm1911
August 10th, 2020
Acorn TV has probably the worst Customer Service of any company I've ever dealt with. It is virtually impossible to talk with anyone on the phone and emailing them back and forth many times to resolve an issue is unacceptable.
jenniferh1564
June 12th, 2020
L believe that this app is a con and is a cheap copy of the real shows. Maybe from Asia like the fake copies of DVDs. Shocking blurred pictures and stops and starts all the time. Lt even caused my Netflix and Stan not to play! Do not connect this piece of trash!
toddd251
January 20th, 2020
I had signed on to Acorn TV for a month or two several times over the last few years. Never had a problem canceling when I wanted to switch to something else. They have some good shows that can keep you entertained for a while (Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer Murders, Foyle's War, George Gently etc.)
ellenm353
September 20th, 2020
I signed up for the week free trial. I really liked the selection of shows and the price was very reasonable--would have gladly stayed with it but for the problems with access. There were two main problems. First, I would try to stream a series on my laptop and would be told there was a failure of the system. Second, the sound and the video were often out of sync. Both these things happened over and over which was quite frustrating so i decided to cancel. I have good wifi and never have these problems with netflix, amazon prime video, or disney.
asherj1
February 7th, 2017
This may be the most affordable streaming service with prices starting at $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year. They'll give you a week to try it for free. I didn't expect much because of the cheap price but now i find myself watching Acorn TV more than the other channels. Their customer service was very pleasant and professional the one time i contacted them for assistance getting the service setup on my TV. I highly recommend subscribing.

Tip for consumers: I haven't noticed any system requirements but as a veteran streamer, i recommend having at least 8 gigs of RAM even with a fast internet connection. This will be helpful when streaming during common hours

joed585
January 19th, 2020
Three months after canceling this service, (they require you to insure they did it after receiving and confirming your email to cancel), they are again charging my bank account for the service I don't have. This is after they confirmed they canceled my account three months ago. Unless they offer you an option like Paypal don't give them your bank account info or you will be sorry. Then again just don't get IT since I cancelled it because except for a handful of exceptions everything is just very old repeats.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Bes B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.
See more answers (2)

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV... forget about it! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Bes B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

Acorn TV is a subscription streaming service offering the best British TV on-demand, commercial free. Shows include favorites like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Foyle's War, Doc Martin, Jack Irish, Agatha Raisin, The Level, and many more. Fre...

matthewg38
AcornTV T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn TV?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.0
Have a question about Acorn TV?