Acorn TV

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 1.91 stars from 197 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Acorn TV also ranks 74th among TV Shows sites. The most common issues with Acorn TV are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.1%

No positive highlights yet

• As other users have noted, customer service is appalling.
  • They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Had no problems, decent shows”

Todd D.
1/20/20

I had signed on to Acorn TV for a month or two several times over the last few years. Never had a problem canceling when I wanted to switch to something else. They have some good shows that can keep you entertained for a while (Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer Murders, Foyle's War, George Gently etc.)

“Poor quality viewing and customer service”

V H.
5/14/20

Several shows have horrible quality picture. Customer service is non-existent. I contacted them several times with programming questions and after many weeks got an email stating that hopefully my problem was resolved by then, and if not, to open another ticket! They charge me different amounts each month. I was finally able to get them on Facebook Messenger but they refused to answer my question about being charged inaccurate amounts. Cancelling my subscription. Too much good competition from which to choose.

customer service (48) credit card (17) apple tv (7) 2 months (5) british tv (9) tech support (7) email (47) amazon prime (5) samsung smart tv (4) good luck (4) 10 days (3) year subscription (3)
vh50
May 14th, 2020
danielaa25
January 19th, 2020
Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.
sp213
July 27th, 2020
Was looking forward to a year of streaming British TV content and signed up. After browsing it found there is not enough to warrant a year subscription and sent an email requesting a refund.
It's now been 8 days and 5 emails with no response other than 'we see you've sent an email previously and are combining the tickets'.
Also note there is no phone number contact for customer service.
lawrencem193
April 25th, 2020
I activated the service 4-9-2020 for the 1 month trail to see if we liked. Gave credit card info, contacted them per their method as to how to do an annual service if we decide to keep and got NO RESPONSE? Then got charged for a month usage on 4-16-2020. Resent another ticket (EMAIL) today 4-24-2020 asking why I did not get a prior response, was charged for a month and not directed how to do an annual purchased fee if we decided to keep. Time will tell if they read this review or if customer service will return from their hide out?
lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020
Cancelled a week before the renewal date. Crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund. Apparently despite my cancellation. Which Google play logged. Acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help. Acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app
cp228
June 30th, 2020
Love the shows, hate the blurry pictures. Lacking the crispness makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. With all the other choices out there, if they don't improve I'll canx.
susanh1166
April 11th, 2020
Acorn offers an impressive selection of British tv series but only the current season is included in your subscription. Earlier seasons are available only through iTunes at $2.99 an episode or $14.99 per season, as we discovered in the series "Vera". The same proved to be true for other offerings. Decided to cancel after first viewing session and truly disappointed that iTunes is in on the deal. Now hoping the cancellation will actually go through without continued billing to my credit card, as has apparently happened with many other disappointed customers.
traceym230
August 8th, 2020
Tried watching two episodes of dead still but the poor connection made it a very disappointing watch. The quality of the picture was in the main good but the buffering ruined it. New to the channel but will be unsubscribing. The content list seems pretty good, programs I would like but too watch but to many issues with the connection.
godfreys17
July 28th, 2020
Warning - do not expose children to this horrific channel. It is horrifically violent and every second movie concerns a death. For example a movie starts quite peacefully, and within 5 minutes, a father is shot to death in front of his son on beach. There are also commercials. Let's run these people out of town.
johnw2942
July 10th, 2020
I've been trying to reach Acorn TV support for over a week to do a simple subscription automated billing change and though offering repeated requests through their online "support" no response.

Because of it, I'm thinking of changing to Britbox to get a company that actually cares about having customers.
dlj2
July 16th, 2020
Doc Martin is a favorite, and i never noticed it's cast was all white. But on ACORN's opening screen every face is white. Very sorry i subscribed for a year! And as others have mentioned some shows are extremely low res adn blurry. Good grief!
nancyc786
April 25th, 2020
I opted to try Acorn tv after disappointment with Britbox and requested the free trial. After the one week "free" my account was billed for $5.99. Fine with it. Three weeks later billed again for $5.99 meaning there is NO free one week trial. Contacted Acorn and ignored. Will binge watch this month and cancel.
ronh620
August 2nd, 2020
I tried to quit Acorn starting in February and finally got some success in July. Even though we did not watch any shows during that time they 'agreed' to a refund and sent two months' worth but had already charged us again on June 29 in spite of my various emails and calls so in effect we got one refund. Acorn needs to get their people on the ball to respond quickly and effectively to customers' issues. This has soured our relationship with the company and though we enjoyed the site at the beginning we quickly ran out of good shows to watch. There are so many streaming sites to choose from — we won't be back.
rosiea37
August 2nd, 2020
I purchased a year's subscription to Acorn in March 2020 directly from Acorn--big mistake. They are very difficult to reach. First of all, the year's
Subscription was a mistake because most of the programming isn't that good. But on 7/1 my access stopped and my message says I have to subscribe in order to see programming. I've sent 2 emails, both times I just got a we'll get back with you email. No other way to contact them. Had I gone thru Amazon, Amazon CS said they would have dealt with the problem on the phone. There's no way that I've found to just go into my account and input my password to get it going again.

8/3 I just got an email asking me to let them know if the problem has resolved itself! Now I have to wait again!

8/9 No further response from Acorn and no connection.
petea248
August 4th, 2020
Many of the programmes are incomplete - for instance Balthazar only had first season and when season 2 appeared it only had 8 out of the 10 episodes - why? Very frustrating - and, why are some programmes not free to view if you take out a subscription? Not worth considering.
samuely37
July 30th, 2020
Definitely better than Australian Netflix and unlike a lot of streaming platforms has very good quality shows, even if they do have some buffering problems the content quality and the low price makes it more than worth it
ralphc159
June 11th, 2020
This is an App that has been used in the USA and it shows. Around 70% of the programmes I chose to watch informed me that they were only available in the US thus wasting my time. When I queried this with Customer Support, I got neither acknowledgement nor an answer. I discontinued my trial and would advise others to do the same.
jenniferh1564
June 12th, 2020
L believe that this app is a con and is a cheap copy of the real shows. Maybe from Asia like the fake copies of DVDs. Shocking blurred pictures and stops and starts all the time. Lt even caused my Netflix and Stan not to play! Do not connect this piece of trash!
rosemariee10
May 2nd, 2020
Reason as above bought to watch that particular program but could not find it so was very disappointed
joed585
January 19th, 2020
Three months after canceling this service, (they require you to insure they did it after receiving and confirming your email to cancel), they are again charging my bank account for the service I don't have. This is after they confirmed they canceled my account three months ago. Unless they offer you an option like Paypal don't give them your bank account info or you will be sorry. Then again just don't get IT since I cancelled it because except for a handful of exceptions everything is just very old repeats.
tessh14
May 13th, 2020
The site has now charged my credit card three months in a row. However, when I log in, I am told my account has expired and I must purchase a membership. After repeated attempts to resolve with Acorn's "customer service," I filed a fraudulent charge complaint with Master Card. Save yourself the headache!
candaced5
June 19th, 2020
THIS MEDIOCRE OUTFIT HAS OLD OLD PROGRAMS AND STINKS. CUSTOMER SERVICE DOUBLE BILLED ME FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS. WOULD ONLY REFUND 3 MONTHS PAYMENTS. THEY SUCK YOU DRY AND GIVE YOU $#*! TV. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. BRITBOX IS BETTER.
lenorag7
May 1st, 2020
A friend gave me a gift subscription to Acorn. Beyond the free week, after which I was required to subscribe (I didn't) I can't tell you how I liked the channel. But I can tell you how I dislike the Customer UnService. It's pitiful. It's nonexistent. When someone would respond to an email, their help was to call me a valued customer, send me to a subscription site, and not answer my question. I was able to talk to a human once, who also gave me no help. I have repeatedly asked them to refund the money to my friend, which they have not done. Recommend Acorn TV? Not just no, but no way!
medaw
July 3rd, 2020
I like a lot of the programming they have however their ap on roku is a pain in the butt. Signed up for 7 day trial. Every day I would have to fully sign in, it would recognize my password so I had to "reset" to the existing password. Tried contacting customer service, submitted a ticket and then got an email stating ticket had been submitted then immediately got a second email asking if the problem had been resolved and if not reply to this email. Wtf? Thought I better get out of this before the 7 days so I've canceled. Got email saying I canceled but we'll see if i actually get charged. I'm not feeling confident that I will not be charged.

Also, there are 2 ways to subscribe on roku; via their ap and via roku acorn tv. They do not interchange so you sign up one way it does not cross over to the other.
brendan186
May 26th, 2020
Do not sign up for the free trial. It may not work. I could not access any Acorn tv shows after signing up. I tried to cancel... they make it SUPER HARD. I got charged. Now finally after much searching believe I have managed to cancel. Now to get a refund.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Bes B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.
See more answers (2)

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV... forget about it! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Bes B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

Acorn TV is a subscription streaming service offering the best British TV on-demand, commercial free. Shows include favorites like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Foyle's War, Doc Martin, Jack Irish, Agatha Raisin, The Level, and many more. Fre...

matthewg38
AcornTV T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn TV?

Have a question about Acorn TV?