Acorn TV

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
2 / 5

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 1.83 stars from 230 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Acorn TV most frequently mention customer service, credit card and free trial problems. Acorn TV ranks 159th among TV Shows sites.

No positive highlights yet

• Acorn TV has probably the worst Customer Service of any company I've ever dealt with.
  • I only discovered this after I lost my credit card and the payment was rejected through Roko.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Good value for money”

Jennifer W.
10/11/20

I have been getting a laugh out of some of the reviews, what a sensitive lot some of you are, lol Violence, murders, they are police shows and stuff what were you expecting, Sesame Street. Anyway, I love watching all the shows I have missed out on in Foxtel and one good thing, no dam adds. I had to contact Acorn about 4 months ago about my payment and had no problems. Also I have had no trouble with the picture on my laptop or TV

“Very Dissapointing”

Paul M.
1/16/22

Exceptionally bad video replay (with continuous stalling) which was not in line with YouTube performance at the same time so no a network issue. Low quality picture definition, and very [poor audio quality (Pie in the Sky), poor selection of shows "above Harlequin" grade. Oldenheim 12 was a great series, pity there are not more like it available on a performing delivery platform. Customer service response very poor. Not a streaming service to be recommended in any way.

customer service (52) credit card (21)
paulm3302
January 16th, 2022

vh50
May 14th, 2020

Several shows have horrible quality picture. Customer service is non-existent. I contacted them several times with programming questions and after many weeks got an email stating that hopefully my problem was resolved by then, and if not, to open another ticket! They charge me different amounts each month. I was finally able to get them on Facebook Messenger but they refused to answer my question about being charged inaccurate amounts. Cancelling my subscription. Too much good competition from which to choose.

samuely37
July 30th, 2020

Definitely better than Australian Netflix and unlike a lot of streaming platforms has very good quality shows, even if they do have some buffering problems the content quality and the low price makes it more than worth it

shaib4
March 20th, 2021

I bought a 1 year subscription which I was very pleased with. I loved "A Place to Call Home", Keeping Faith", "Manhunt" & "Foyle's War." After almost three month of enjoying Acorn TV I was no longer able to view anything but trailers. I had previously watched on my computer, iPhone & Chromebook. Now I could not watch any movies/series at all on any of my devices. I have contacted Acorn TV support repeatedly for over a month and have not had my service restored or a refund issued. Very disappointed! I would not recommend that you waste your money.

jenniferw1209
October 11th, 2020

henryp227
June 30th, 2021

We got a 30 day trial via Amazon Prime and enjoyed watching several series start to finish. We were surprised that some episodes were not available to us, but thought that was because it was a trial. We started paying monthly, but discovered that many shows are not available to us "at this time". I don't know why Acorn would list shows on their guide, but not allow us access!
We have now unsubscribed, and strongly recommend to anyone who asks to avoid Acorn TV.

danielaa25
January 19th, 2020

Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.

judes35
March 18th, 2021

Do Not Subscribe! Free trial lapsed before I found out that this product cannot be used on a Samsung Smart TV, there is sound only, no images! When I tried to unsubscribe, there is no facility to do so on their website. After I sent two emails, the answer came back " Unsubscribe through your iTunes account"... Well, I have never had an Itunes account. I have had to involve my bank for help. Do not use! Subscriptions from reliable companies should be simple and user friendly to cancel should you want.

Tip for consumers:
Check that you can use, if not can you cancel your subscription!

Products used:
Cannot use product on my smart tv.

lawrencem193
April 25th, 2020

I activated the service 4-9-2020 for the 1 month trail to see if we liked. Gave credit card info, contacted them per their method as to how to do an annual service if we decide to keep and got NO RESPONSE? Then got charged for a month usage on 4-16-2020. Resent another ticket (EMAIL) today 4-24-2020 asking why I did not get a prior response, was charged for a month and not directed how to do an annual purchased fee if we decided to keep. Time will tell if they read this review or if customer service will return from their hide out?

asherj1
February 7th, 2017

This may be the most affordable streaming service with prices starting at $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year. They'll give you a week to try it for free. I didn't expect much because of the cheap price but now i find myself watching Acorn TV more than the other channels. Their customer service was very pleasant and professional the one time i contacted them for assistance getting the service setup on my TV. I highly recommend subscribing.

Tip for consumers:
I haven't noticed any system requirements but as a veteran streamer, i recommend having at least 8 gigs of RAM even with a fast internet connection. This will be helpful when streaming during common hours

claref31
April 1st, 2021

I signed up for this as I wanted to watch A Place to Call Home. I'd watched seasons 1-2 on Amazon Prime and signed up to acorn as it offered the whole series. Watched season 3 and then... you have to pay to watch the rest on top of your subscription. Toal rip off. Lousy customer experience - and the picture quality was poor. Shame on you!

Acorn TV rip off

eb370
January 11th, 2021

I am getting increasingly frustrated that Acorn TV sometimes does not load all episodes of a series, so you have to guess how the storyline finishes. It's getting ridiculous. I found this recently for Judge John Deed, and also for The Silence. I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscription.

wesk34
March 19th, 2021

Received a year's subscription to Acorn as a gift. It worked great for the first month. Shows we watched were excellent. Second month Acorn stopped loading on our PC to stream to the TV. Emailed Acorn support, they sent instructions that we followed. After those scripted responses failed, they continued sending the same instructions even though we told them nothing they suggested were working.

Since we cannot view anything anymore, we were going to cancel, but found "no refunds allowed". So, we're stuck with having a loved one waste their money on a subscription we can't use.

Reading other reviews, we're afraid that even when we cancel near the end of the year, Acorn will still automatically charge for another year of non-service.

We have absolutely no problems streaming other videos or streaming services. After being really happy with the quality of programming and quality streaming at the beginning; now my advice, steer clear of this rip-off.

chryso
December 21st, 2020

I prefer it to Britbox in many ways, but that's comparing poor to poor.
I have learned to cope with its idiosyncracies because I am liking content.
But being required to sign in every day, and then to have the account disappear, is inexcusable.
I am not interested in labor intensive, And don't need a challenge at bedtime.
Can't believe the Brits can't get it together. Their shows are great, but administration is the worst.

briank1196
January 11th, 2021

I initially attempted to subscribe to Acorn TV in September 2020. However, there was an unknown issue with the subscription set-up that would not allow access. As a result, I re-loaded the information (using the same email address, etc.) and eventually the App started to work. I enjoyed the content for a number of months (despite the App being somewhat unstable). To my horror, I realized that I was being double-billed for the subscription service, which is invoiced through Google Play. The billings were oddly timed, such that it was not obvious I was being double-billed, until a credit card statement eventually revealed that there were two charges for the same month. I immediately cancelled one of the accounts to stop any further blood-letting. At that point, I fully intended to continue using the second (i. E., remaining) account, as I still wanted to watch the programs, which I enjoyed. However, I soon found that the App did not recognize my log-in or password for the remaining account. As such, I was locked out, despite being billed every month for the service. When I contacted Acorn TV about it, they asked for some information (which I gladly supplied), but they could not track the account. In other words, they could not find my account - yet they were happy to (fraudulently) take my money. Upon complaining, they offered me two (2) free months that would be added to my subscription, as a token compensation. This was clearly an absurd offer, as I cannot access the account. What good would 2 extra months be? Needless to say, I cancelled the 2nd subscription (today) and have launched a complaint with Google. Clearly, the folks at Acorn TV are either unwilling or incapable of managing their own systems and do not care. My advice to anyone wondering about subscribing... do so with great care and with money you can afford to lose. Buying a subscription is equivalent to buying a lottery ticket with very long odds. If you run into trouble, which apparently is very common with the App/subscriptions, you will not receive any help. My 1-star rating is for the programs - the service deserves -5.

As a follow-up to my post above, I was eventually able to again connect with the folks at Acorn and attempt to do a reverse look-up for my remaining live account. However, they inexplicably couldn't find the account, claiming that this was caused by the connection to Google. I then cancelled the account as it was clear that this process was going nowhere.

Eventually, an Acorn rep apologized and offered me 3 free months of service if I would open a new subscription account. Despite my protest (that I paid for 5 months and got nothing), I did that anyway, carefully using a credit card with a short expiry date, just in case. I then contacted Acorn to let them know that I had a new account and provided the particulars. True to their word, they did add 3 free months to the service.

The lessons learned here are: 1) if subscribing to the service, do not use a third party like Google. Subscribe directly through the Acorn website; 2) after subscribing, be very careful to watch the charges on your credit card; 3) if you notice anything suspicious, contact Acord immediately; 4) if the issue is not resolved quickly, cancel right away.

The folks at Acorn seem to be genuinely concerned about solving problems, however, they may not have sufficient control of their own systems to actually do much when things go wrong. That's why a rapid response is critical. In my case, I've lost at least 2 months of monthly charges that I assume will never be refunded. It's not a lot of money. However, if I hadn't noticed the issue, I could easily have lost a lot more. Because of Acorn's partial response to my complaint, I have given their rating an additional star.

Tip for consumers:
Be very careful. I was double-billed for the subscription for several months and received no help from Acorn TV when I asked for assistance. I had to eventually cancel and received no refund.

Acorn TV App -

toddd251
January 20th, 2020

I had signed on to Acorn TV for a month or two several times over the last few years. Never had a problem canceling when I wanted to switch to something else. They have some good shows that can keep you entertained for a while (Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer Murders, Foyle's War, George Gently etc.)

kena132
August 23rd, 2019

I see too many poor reviews of acorn, and don't understand why? They offer great shows at a very reasonable rate, less than half what Hulu or Netflix costs me a month, and I really enjoy the shows I watch, 19-2,800 Words which is a shame was cancelled after only three seasons, A Place to Call Home. I have had zero issues with this app, none. I love that being an American I get to watch brilliant writing from other countries, at $5.99 a month I don't know how anyone can complain about what they get here. But to each their own, I felt it necessary to write one just because I felt they were getting bad reviews and unjustly, so just my two cents, it's worth at least a chance if you have never seen it, get the free trial, find a few shows you like and sign up for a month, the only other app out there I can say is better is Kanopy but that is because it's free with a library card. And free is always better but acorn is next to free at $5.99.

traceym230
August 8th, 2020

Tried watching two episodes of dead still but the poor connection made it a very disappointing watch. The quality of the picture was in the main good but the buffering ruined it. New to the channel but will be unsubscribing. The content list seems pretty good, programs I would like but too watch but to many issues with the connection.

sp213
July 27th, 2020

Was looking forward to a year of streaming British TV content and signed up. After browsing it found there is not enough to warrant a year subscription and sent an email requesting a refund.
It's now been 8 days and 5 emails with no response other than 'we see you've sent an email previously and are combining the tickets'.
Also note there is no phone number contact for customer service.

lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020

Cancelled a week before the renewal date. Crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund. Apparently despite my cancellation. Which Google play logged. Acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help. Acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app

susanh1166
April 11th, 2020

Acorn offers an impressive selection of British tv series but only the current season is included in your subscription. Earlier seasons are available only through iTunes at $2.99 an episode or $14.99 per season, as we discovered in the series "Vera". The same proved to be true for other offerings. Decided to cancel after first viewing session and truly disappointed that iTunes is in on the deal. Now hoping the cancellation will actually go through without continued billing to my credit card, as has apparently happened with many other disappointed customers.

colinh149
October 7th, 2020

Watching Acorn tv brings back many memories of some great tv shows. Yes you can also get these shows on free to air, but with heaps of adds included.

gwend128
June 21st, 2017

I recently signed up with Acorn.tv and had some issues attempting to log into the app on my tablet. I reached out via phone and received great service and help. Turns out I was logged in twice and it was causing some conflict. The customer service team walked me right through the process they were very courteous and professional. I let them know that I really love the programs and enjoy sitting down after a long day of work to watch. Thanks Acorn for providing great customer service and great programs!

andreac574
September 1st, 2020

As a huge fan of British TV series and especially crime shows I am loving Acorn TV. I originally downloaded the Acorn TV app onto my TV but the picture quality was very poor so I switched to streaming from my tablet device via Chromecast to the TV and the picture quality was much improved. As much as I love the content I am disappointed I cannot download shows to watch offline and I have found the option to "continue watching" from where I left off a bit hit and miss. But the cost per month is reasonable and I have not run out of things to watch so far.

dlj2
July 16th, 2020

Doc Martin is a favorite, and i never noticed it's cast was all white. But on ACORN's opening screen every face is white. Very sorry i subscribed for a year! And as others have mentioned some shows are extremely low res adn blurry. Good grief!

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Bes B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.