Acorn TV

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 1.96 stars from 171 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Acorn TV also ranks 60th among TV Shows sites. The most common issues with Acorn TV are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• As other users have noted, customer service is appalling.
  • They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Had no problems, decent shows”

Todd D.
1/20/20

I had signed on to Acorn TV for a month or two several times over the last few years. Never had a problem canceling when I wanted to switch to something else. They have some good shows that can keep you entertained for a while (Murdoch Mysteries, Midsummer Murders, Foyle's War, George Gently etc.)

“Too many technical issues”

Daniela A.
1/19/20

Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.

customer service (42) credit card (14) apple tv (7) 2 months (5) british tv (7) tech support (7) amazon prime (5) samsung smart tv (4) email (40) good luck (4) 10 days (3) murdoch mysteries (3)
danielaa25
January 19th, 2020
lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020
Cancelled a week before the renewal date.. crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund.. apparently despite my cancellation.. which Google play logged.. acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help.. acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!!!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app
joed585
January 19th, 2020
Three months after canceling this service, (they require you to insure they did it after receiving and confirming your email to cancel), they are again charging my bank account for the service I don't have. This is after they confirmed they canceled my account three months ago. Unless they offer you an option like Paypal don't give them your bank account info or you will be sorry. Then again just don't get IT since I cancelled it because except for a handful of exceptions everything is just very old repeats.
ling66
April 30th, 2018
I see that they finally marked the episodes watched but why couldn't they do that before releasing the new version. I still prefer the previous version, it was so much easier to deal with. Still a big problem with the closed caption. When i stop watching in the middle of an episode and then go back to it, 9 times out of 10 the CC is way off.
This company has to be the most unprofessional of the streaming channels.
Agree re bad customer service.
dennisb398
November 6th, 2019
We have been subscribers to Acorn for several years and enjoyed the all-English menu. However, when our interest turned elsewhere we found that the Acorn does not provide a mechanism to terminate the subscription and does not respond to request for help. As a result we continue to pay the monthly fee for a service we do not watch with the only alternative for relief being cancellation of the credit card. So, if you are thinking about subscribing to Acorn my advice is to not do it as it is essentially an internet scam.
mc887
January 26th, 2020
You watch a few shows in a series and then to continue watching the series they charge you $4.99 PER EPISODE!!! What a ripoff. Cancelling my subscription.
lydias58
March 15th, 2019
After 2 months where everything worked fine, the service stopped working. Sent 5 emails. No response. Googled phone number and spoke to a company totally unrelated and he said they had been getting countless calls for Acorn TV and they had absolutely nothing to do with Acorn TV. Had to contact credit card company to cease payments. Customer service: non-existent. Stay away.
toddd251
January 20th, 2020
kenk209
March 22nd, 2019
Be very weary touching the button that says free trial because you are then locked in for $6 us a month and it almost needs a Philadelphia lawyer to get them to stop charging you that.
I fell into that syndrome and because they do not give a cancellation number the credit card company will not go after them for the funds
rw388
November 18th, 2019
We are a huge fan of British television, going way back to the 70s and Monty Python, the Goonies, Fawlty Towers, the Two Ronnies, etc. So we were excited to see that we could view again some of these shows on Britbox and Acorn TV through Amazon Prime Video. We did the free week with Britbox and then subscribed for two months until we had exhausted all the episodes of all the shows we wanted to watch. Next, we did the free week with Acorn and have now subscribed for a month to watch Vera, Foyle's War, and others not available on Britbox. The two services are night and day. We use new Roku's to stream. We never had one issue with Britbox. We have daily issues with Acorn. Buffering, choking, restarting, and when you finally are able to get through an episode, the app freezes and doesn't return to the menu. Not only that, you have to exit back to the main Roku home menu (top right button) to recover the device. I had read numerous complaints about Acorn and their buggy app. The same thing happens on Firestick which I have a new one installed. I sent an email to Acorn customer service but got no response, not even an email saying they received my email and are working on it. Also, not all of the Foyle's War episodes have closed captioning/subtitles even though they are ALL marked as having such. I am hearing impaired and the thick British accents make it impossible to understand. When these air on PBS or are played from our library's DVDs, they all have subtitles. I feel we are being cheated of the money we are spending. We will not be renewing the subscription. Britbox has it down and does it correctly. Acorn is a fail!
zachariaso
October 1st, 2019
Got it mostly for the last season of Foyles war but checked other things while I still had it. The content is fairly good, alot of the series can't be found elsewhere in Sweden (where I live), so that's good. However, the app for Apple TV is a joke! It's hard to navigate, it reacts super slow to browsing, and after each episode it freezes so I had to restart the app to watch the next episode. For the price the content is really good, but if the app doesn't work you can have the greatest content in the world, I'll still keep to Netflix and HBO.
rebeccaj143
August 29th, 2019
I took the trial but cancelled day before final date but monthly fee was deducted from my account anyway. I even received a confirmation email of the cancellation. I emailed the confirmation to them as they requested (shouldn't they have it? They sent it to me). Now they have deducted ANOTHER month. I honestly didn't find that much I wanted to watch.
jamesj574
October 29th, 2018
I signed up for the free trial demo for the week. 2 days before it was up, I sent written notice. These A**holes still charged me and no matter how often I ask for a refund, they give some f-ing excuse like I need to deal with I-tunes which I don't even have or belong to. Don't sign on to these A**holes. Nothing but a bunch of crooks probably based in Nigeria or other country known for ripping people off.
joannae9
April 25th, 2019
I don't know what's worse--a rude person on the other end of a phone or email or no person at all. I've sent numerous email messages; no response. I have no other choice that to stop payment via my bank, unless someone comes up with a better idea.
donalds238
July 16th, 2018
I like many of the offerings on Acorn. But getting them to address the problems with their application is very difficult. A problem recently arose where, when I click on the series icons for Vera or Midsummer Murders, the Acorn application exits and takes me back to the Roku Home screen. Their supposed workaround isn't really workable. And, I agree that the new interface is a disaster, clunky, slow, and missing vital functionality that was available in the previous version.
beverlyk65
November 20th, 2018
I don't understand why this company cannot solve the problems in its app which have garnered Acorn TV uniformly terrible reviews in the online reviewer community. I am constantly calling Customer Service (human being -- 888/370-2597). In contrast, I have NEVER had to call Netflix Customer Service.

It appears that no one at Acorn TV is monitoring online comments. Perhaps they simply don't care that their company is becoming a laughingstock.
tamh2
July 20th, 2017
I cancelled Acorn 4 months ago and still getting charged. After more emails and lies they won't help. I even sent the original email confirmation from them when I cancelled. Acorn say's I am still connected through a carrier? although I only ran it through a Roku box. So don't get involved. They really lied about 30day free trial, billed me the minute I signed up .. FRUSTRATED AND STILL PAYING.
deborahp81
April 16th, 2018
This new version of the app won't let me cast to the TV anymore. Been waiting for two days to hear from the help desk. Tried reinstalling, no joy. It would be a good idea to have help staff available when rolling out a major app update.

So, three stars for the catalog and minus two for failure to beta test app updates
paulam171
May 15th, 2018
I paid for a year's subscription and spent 90% of my time trying to find any CSR from this company that could help. They don't have the server power to deliver the shows they advertise and when u can't watch them and contact them they tell you it's your pc and make u do all kinds of crap that doesn't help. I would NOT recommend this company. I am now totally unable to even log in to my acct. and I've only had it for 2 months.
asherj1
February 7th, 2017
This may be the most affordable streaming service with prices starting at $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year. They'll give you a week to try it for free. I didn't expect much because of the cheap price but now i find myself watching Acorn TV more than the other channels.Their customer service was very pleasant and professional the one time i contacted them for assistance getting the service setup on my TV. I highly recommend subscribing.

Tip for consumers: I haven't noticed any system requirements but as a veteran streamer, i recommend having at least 8 gigs of RAM even with a fast internet connection. This will be helpful when streaming during common hours

sharong288
June 11th, 2019
They worked fine at first, but they no longer continue through out the program with out constant spinning. I is such a disappointment and a waste of money. I am afraid I will have to cancel. They are nothing but a fraud.
It would be a wonderful variety of shows if they were actually available. I wish there was a way to contact them, but once you have made your purchase, they are hard to locate.
sandras508
March 1st, 2019
I signed up for a trial period through Amazon. I cancelled October 20, 2018. They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99. Amazon says they have no record of the charges. My credit card company is now involved. Still no resolution. I would advise anyone who is thinking of signing up. Don't! This is a ripoff.
helenem25
October 6th, 2018
What is going on with Acorn TV. I used to be able to watch without any streaming issues on my Samsung 4K Smart TV, lately the videos freeze up and re-set and then I have to go back to the main menu and scroll through the menus to resume watching. I want my money back, but I've paid through August 2019. I cannot get any response from Customer Service--do they have anyone at the Service Desk? I am so disappointed the quality and do not recommend Acorn TV anymore.
kena132
August 23rd, 2019
I see too many poor reviews of acorn, and don't understand why? They offer great shows at a very reasonable rate, less than half what Hulu or Netflix costs me a month, and I really enjoy the shows I watch, 19-2, 800 Words which is a shame was cancelled after only three seasons, A Place to Call Home. I have had zero issues with this app, none. I love that being an American I get to watch brilliant writing from other countries, at $5.99 a month I don't know how anyone can complain about what they get here. But to each their own, I felt it necessary to write one just because I felt they were getting bad reviews and unjustly, so just my two cents, it's worth at least a chance if you have never seen it, get the free trial, find a few shows you like and sign up for a month, the only other app out there I can say is better is Kanopy but that is because it's free with a library card. And free is always better but acorn is next to free at $5.99.
brendaw179
August 25th, 2018
• Updated review
My original review stated the app wasn't up to date, and shortly after I was fed up and wrote it, about 2 weeks later, everything changed. It now stops and I can continue on another T.V. It keeps track of what you've watched. Now if only Apple T.V. wasn't so difficult to use, we're getting rid of that and getting another Roku, which is awesome.
Love the programming.........but........
August 25th, 2018
• Previous review
I love the shows offered on Acorn TV. But the app is way behind the times. It doesn't let you resume a show, that's crazy for a streaming app. We have 3 people in our house, and are often watching different programming. If I stop in the middles of something, I literally have to old school it, and pause the program and write down where I left off. It won't even take you to the season you were watching, much less the episode.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.
See more answers (2)

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

Acorn TV is a subscription streaming service offering the best British TV on-demand, commercial free. Shows include favorites like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Foyle's War, Doc Martin, Jack Irish, Agatha Raisin, The Level, and many more. Fre...

matthewg38
AcornTV T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn TV?

Have a question about Acorn TV?