Review of Hulu

2017 Customer choice award

emiliop12
3/26/19

To Whom it May Concern,
At the beginning of the NFL season, I decided to create an account with Hulu in order to stream some of the games. However, I decided to cancel my account after a few weeks because I did not need to stream any more of the games and because I did not want the extra bill. After canceling my account, I was still being billed by Hulu even though my account had been deactivated. I was very confused by this so I tried contacting Hulu to get this problem fixed. It took quite a lot of work and time to get this problem resolved. However, I did not mind the time or trouble, but it was the customer service that frustrated me the most. The customer service was horrendous and one of the worst experiences that I have ever had.
I repeatedly sent emails to your headquarters and I tried calling you countless of times only to have be left on hold. You never replied to any of the emails I sent. Not having the courtesy to send an email back really speaks volumes of how you think of your customers. However as bad as not replying to my emails, the phone calls were still somehow worse. Sometimes my calls were never even answered at all in the first place and the phone would just continue to ring. It took about a dozen different calls for me to even get to interact with a real human. Eventually, my problem was fixed, but not without a tireless amount of work from myself and loads of frustration.

danielc646
3/25/19

Service constantly resets to make me watch commercials after just returning from them. I can't make it through a show without it resetting multiple times. I ran Speed test and was fine, their service is the killer. STAY AWAY

bobd295
3/21/19

During the the first round. Four teams were playing we were able to see one game the other 3 games r
were perpetual commercials and analysis. After flipping channels for 35min. No BB games were on. I called HULU. promptly disconnected. Called again talked with a guy for 30min. He had no clue what the NCAA BB was about and that I wanted to watch them 4 games going on. He said HULU had an issue with game suppliers TruW and one other and I would have to wait about an hour. So before I wrote this I checked the TV networks again and Nope. No games on TV.
Very disappointed with HULU. Going back to Cable can't risk it with HULU

barryb205
3/20/19

I am dismayed that anyone thought it was good idea to use an exact, what I hope is, an exact recreation of the shuttle disaster as part of the show "the first". There are certain things that should be off limits to use in any entertainment format.

tym31
3/20/19

The awful FX shows they make you watch there ads they are so terrible looking and they have the volume on ads turned up 1000 % so you have to adjust sounds every time as comes on terrible.

eveh34
3/14/19

It has some good show and movies but too complicated to use and the ads are super annoying, I'm sorry but Netflix is better.

terrys369
3/11/19

Signed up for a free month. 7 days later they billed me. Called and complained. They said it was because I signed up for Live TV. Didn't see anything during initial sign-up about immediate billing. Bait and switch

toddc146
3/5/19

Tired of the ripoff Comcast prices I'm giving Hulu Live a try. Frankly, with the freezing, awkward interface, strange jumping around the stream, commercials...not sure it's worth. Probably going back when Comcast offers one of those new user specials. Since, I've been gone I'm a new user again. :)

jenniferr429
3/4/19

I have been with Hulu so long, I only pay $5.99 a month. I love the services and the different movies I can watch that has never came on cable tv. I stopped watching cable just so I can watch what I want, when I want on Hulu.

mattb340
3/1/19

We're trying to extract AT&T from our lives. DirecTV must go after serving us since 1988. AT&T RUINED them. We signed up for Hulu Live + Enhanced DVR + No commercials... every option available. Here's a list of concerns that we've been, thus far, unable to resolve.
We pay an additional $15 for the privilege of forwarding through DVR'd commercials. We also pay an additional fee for unlimited screens. We also pay an additional fee for no ads -- and here's the best part... there are STILL ads. I'd say Hulu nickels and dimes us, but the fact is it's not nickels and dimes, it's $15's every time you turn around. Unacceptable.
As if the Fast Forward fee wasn't enough, using our AppleTV, we are unable to fast forward with scrub/preview so that we can see WHEN the commercial is over. Hulu simply pauses the screen while the clock advances. No solution. Premium price. Unacceptable.
We have all Sony TV's. Hulu Live will not play on them. Hulu blames Sony. Sony blames Hulu. Guys- get over yourselves. We bought Sony hardware and we want(ed) to purchase Hulu content. That shouldn't be an issue. Unacceptable.
We set up "My Stuff" with the shows that my wife and I watch. We were immediately presented with a very nicely laid out menu of shows... but they report 39 unwatched, 53 unwatched, and so on. That would be handy if accurate, but there's no way to mark episodes or seasons as watched without going into each episode, fast forwarding, and letting it end. That's absurd and negates the value of the aforementioned attractive menu. How would we know when new episodes were available? Unacceptable.
Our internet tested with a 60ms latency. Netflix doesn't mind, Amazon video doesn't mind, AppleTV doesn't mind. Their services all work flawlessly. Hulu... most DVR'd shows will not pull up. 4/5 tries ends in failure after 2-5 minutes of waiting. Unacceptable.
How do you think my wife feels about me cutting the cord and buying Hulu? Why aren't there more accurate portrayals online when I checked reviews? I'm dumbfounded by how bad this experience has been. It's not even close to par.
Change my mind.

sm1113
2/19/19

Okay I got this one year black Friday thing for a buck a month. Good enough to try it out. Didn't really need it got way too much to watch already. But I tried it.

Watched a movie or two, no biggie, seemed like the normal amount of pauses for ads.

Then I watched an episode of Seinfeld a week or two later. An OLD show mind you.

Hulu thought it necessary to stop my watching Seinfeld FOUR TIMES in the first 15 minutes and show me at least two ads each time!! I was like WTF?? And the show was only half over! It blew my mind LOL. So I didn't even finish watching it and haven't even looked at it since. Deplorable. There's far too many things to watch free with limited ads, like Prime. Hell, get a VPN for 100 bucks a year and download almost anything you can name, with no commercials at all. This Hulu is definitely NOT worth paying for, I hate it for 99 cents a month, definitely would never buy it for any more. Their little Black Friday "plot" to get people in the door real cheap is backfiring largely on them I'm sure.

bobc327
2/18/19

I was so disappointed with Hulu. I own a cabin an hour from my house. I purchased the largest package that Hulu sells thinking i could watch Hulu live in my cabin or home and get rid of my huge att U-verse package at my house. Surprise I can only watch Hulu live from one location. I can buy a chrome cast and can stream either att u-verse or Hulu. The difference is I have to buy my home phone and internet so I get more from att with a bundle. Hulu I used to love pandora, Sirius and Spotify killed it. What new company is going to kill the fat pigs that are trying to eat this new market. Hulu blamed the federal government so I wrote to my senator to get the truth. I cannot imagine anyone cares what is thrown into a streaming service, it seems like a lame excuse to get the consumer to multiple buy the same crap.

brittanyb131
2/15/19

Although Hulu has wonderful TV shows I cannot watch any of them because every couple of seconds the show starts to load. Or it says connectivity problem and there's no way to get out of it but quit. I pay $100 a month on my internet alone and my router is in the very next room there should be no freaking reason that this is happening this is the only app that happens on and it's so infuriating. I will be canceling my subscription ASAP what a joke of a company!! Don't waste your money

josephd398
2/11/19

sigh up for free month,they charged my bank for month same day,told them to cancel when month ran out they canceled it right away cost $9.00 for 1 day stay away from them

midorib
2/6/19

Will never use Hulu again. Don't trust them! Shady business practices! Signed up for the big Black Friday $0.99/month for 12 months deal just over 2 months ago & decided to add the 7-day free Hulu Live trial only to be told when we decided against keeping the Hulu Live that we could no longer keep the deal we were on & had to pay full price. WHAT A SCAM!! So you're actually punished for trying out an added upgrade if you don't keep it. The woman I spoke to said she understood my frustration but just basically kept saying over & over again that it was their policy as if reading from a script. Management is AWFUL. Asked to speak to a manager twice, both times put on hold only to be told they would not come to the phone. Wow. I will never be back and will make sure I let anyone and everyone know about the scam they're running. Couldn't afford their big deal they offered so now they've found a way to SCAM people out of it. Horrible business practice. Will be sticking with Netflix & Prime.

tomr324
2/3/19

Went through three customer service reps. No supervisor was present to handle my complaint of poor customer service. I felt like I was talked down to by the reps representing Hulu. They follow scripts which restricts them to getting to problem sooner. I asked the last rep to have her supervisor call when he or she gets in because they do not work at night. I am still waiting of the supervisor's call eight hours later. Don't waste your money with Hulu. I went back with YouTube TV.

nataljep
1/31/19

Jesus mf Christ, this has to be the worst mf $#*! I have ever used AND PAID MONEY FOR. You $#*!s are scammers. Jeez I mean no one can figure this stupid $#*! site out!!! I just have the biggest need to tell you how bad it is your like a Walmart vagisil compared to the real $#*!. You suck your like bing vs google, you mfn suck. I mean your like Hulu vs Netflix!!!!!!! Gtg ttyl

kd131
1/30/19

You can't personalize. You can't review really BAD movies. I CURRENTLY enjoy all 3 NETFLIX, HULU & PRIME. You have to ask yourself if you want current stuff, more CURRENT TV Movies (Hulu) or BIGGER movie/TV SERIES Options (Netflix), or just broad overall option but limited with FREE Amazon shipping(Prime). Prime rocks if you order from them a lot plus you can access your blue ray.

nancyn117
1/28/19

Ok, is anyone else having a problem with recording on Hulu Live? It provides 50 hours of recording in their monthly fee. I have used it, sometimes to about 25 of the 50 hours; however, when I catch it up, and there is actually nothing recorded, it says I have fewer hours remaining. It started out with deleting 2 hours of recording time; now it is up to 6 hours of recording time that is now unavailable. I phoned, and they said they have recognized this problem and are working on it. But this has gone one now for over three months; you would think they would have solved this problem by now. Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem????

briannar25
1/27/19

Our service was outstanding he not only helped us but he went beyond that and gave us a 2 week extension on our monthly payment His name is Raymond ask for him !!! Give him a raise !!!

idas27
1/24/19

I have Hulu movies package. To tell you the truth I got Hulu special offer doing the holidays which offers a $1.00 for a year and the movies they have on there sucks. I barely watch the dam thing. I'm checking out Amazon free movies they show better 100 percent movies than Hulu and Netflix is better than Hulu. The only thing wrong with Netflix is you have the same movie, you barely get updates. So over all Hulu really sucks with selection of movies they show. I don't even watch the dam thing Hope they get better. Hulu try showing some of the movies prime video show, and you would great.

farahf15
1/23/19

Surprise! Hulu has begun to jump on the bandwagon of price hikes. Signed up for Hulu + Live TV package for $39.99/month in July 2018 and just got an email saying they'll be raising it to $44.99/month. Absolutely absurd! It hasn't even been a year that I'm with them and they're already raising the rates. The entire point of switching to Hulu was to save $ but they seem to be going in the same direction as the larger companies. I called and spoke to a "supervisor" named Kenya whom sounded like she was 18 years old and had no no customer service skills at all. She basically said the reason for the price change was because they've added a lot of channels over the years. Ummm, all those channels were already there when I signed up. She couldn't help me and basically said it's my choice if I want to switch. Hulu is becoming a scam! Searching around for alternative options right away.

stevea316
1/23/19

I received this from Hulu today:

"We're reaching out to let you know that the price of your Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV plan will increase from $43.99/month to $50.99/month on Tuesday, February 26, 2019."

So you know, that's a 16% hike. It's so ridiculous I'll be canceling my account.

kameshaf
1/21/19

Although, you have to pay more to binge watch with no commercials, but its totally worth it! Hulu has ALL of my favs to binge watch such as Grownish, How to Get Away with Murder, Killing Eve, Gordon Ramsey and America's Got Talent, just to name a few. These shows are streaming new seasons RIGHT NOW! Hulu has came a LONG way the past few years. I definitely prefer Hulu over Netflix anyday.

jeannak3
1/11/19

I would much rather Netflix over Hulu anyday, at least when you search for a movie or show on Netflix the results will show what you CAN watch instead... Upgrade to a plan that's more than double your current price and then, only then are you able to watch Hulu's shows that are on your screen. Unfortunately this does not even work, they want you to pay over $30.00 on top of your original payment - and you still can't watch what you may be looking for. In my opinion DON NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT pay anything for Hulu, they are the full definition of a SCAM!!

225 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Not worth it since they updated their interface into an unusable mess. Customer service is awful, stay far away.

By glenn h.

No. Free OTA TV is better than HULU because with an amplified antenna Free TV actually works!

By Ronald B.

You don't need a fancy smart TV or an App. Hook up your computer or laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable. Set your TV INPUT to HDMI (go to your tv menu, find the input, and select HDMI 1 or 2... whichever port your cable is plugged into). Turn on your computer, log into internet, go to www.hulu.com, sign in, and you're in business. Cool tip: get a wireless keyboard and mouse and you're surfing the web from comfort of your couch. I watch Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, shop online, go on Facebook and email... all from my couch on the big screen :)

By Jenn S.

I have 65mb down and I don't have any trouble at all. I think you only need 12mb to stream their highest quality. That could be a complicated answer. It may be your router, or wireless device. That's where you should start looking. Contact Comcast and have them help you trouble shoot. I know my provider has that service.

By David K.

I have similar speeds, about 50 Mbps, but don't have any issue with streaming shows smoothly on HULU. I watch streaming shows directly off my computer, which is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable, essentially works like a big monitor. I connect my computer to internet, and log into www.hulu.com. Works fine. I travel a bit and I also watch shows over hotel WiFi on my laptop, which surely have much slower speeds. I'm not sure why some people have issues at such high connection speeds. IMO, HULU is worth it IF they have the shows available that you want to watch. HULU doesn't have right to many shows. Or you have to pay extra like for HBO.

By Jenn S.

Never heard of that, maybe its was advertising for the HBO service you can add on or for their ad-free options which they do not have a free trial of. But they dont charge for their regularshows

By Dani S.

You can use a wii.. a playstation 3, a ruku box.. I have also used my computer and a svga monitor cable to use the laptop to put it right to the tv. You can use google chrome cast also.. the monitor cable works awesome because you can watch utube on your tv too.. tons of movies on there as well.. hope this helps.. I can answer a little better if you have any more questions

By lisa m.

Good luck with that. They are crooks. If you like the British, Canadian and Australian things, Acorn is a terrific deal. I am not affiliated with anybody.

By Gail V.

If you could provide more info on what/how you're getting Netflix on your TV, are you using a media streaming device (like a Roku, AppleTV, "SmartTV" or a WiFi connected BluRay, the apps are already preloaded on most devices. You can go online and set up an account with Roku and add over 1000 channels from their Channel Store. 90% are free for the watching.

By Christopher Q.

Yes, if you have the live TV subscription. The user interface requires a little getting used to but I have had none of the streaming, buffering issues that others report.

By Vincent W.
Questions? Get answers from the Hulu staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Hulu