Review of Hulu

support@hulu.com
2017 Customer choice award

briannal21
5/22/18

My favorite part of Hulu right now is that it's free with a student Spotify account. They produce their own shows and release new shows on air the day after they come out so its easy to keep up with tv without cable. Not many previous seasons, but I use it more to keep up rather than binge watch. The commercials arent the best, but Im not paying an extra charge and they have to make money somehow. Overall, I definitely recommend especially if you are a student already paying for a spotify account.

richardf227
5/18/18

I dont understand why the people in charge at Hulu cannot get it through their thick skulls That in order to compete, they need to make every episode of every show available. For example, I want to watch American ninja warrior, but they only have the current season available. Why would I start out watching the current season when I have never even seen an episode? Wouldnt it make sense to start watching it from the very beginning so that I can see how the show involves? The same thing with shows that have character development and evolve from season to season. Why would I start watching Chicago fire if only the current season was available? Its almost like a gimmick To get you to start watching the live Episodes, but their logic is so backwards. If Ive never even seen the show before and all I can watch is the current season or maybe the most recent season, then why would I start watching the live episodes? Id be confused as to whats going on in the plot because Ive never watched the previous seasons. And thats why they get one star. Maybe someday theyll figure it out.

jot38
5/14/18

One month free, but if you old timer with only cash or checks - then your screwed. They going make money off u by charging after u cancel or selling your info. Plus their server already been hacked. I made this review through a account I hacked from their files. Sorry Hacked IP It was a random pick from Credit report agent.

briana244
5/14/18

We've been waiting to see 12 Strong and noticed it came out on Vudu. Rented it and couldn't finish watching the last 30 minutes that evening. Came back the next evening to finish the movie and it said we had to rent it again. Our fault for not knowing what a joke the rental policy is.

muazb
5/12/18

This site abuses its users to watch ads even after charging them. After im done with this show im out of this trashy website

mirandam28
5/11/18

I've been watching Hulu all morning with my children and upon starting episode 4 of a series Hulu informed me that the video was not available in my location... I know Hulu is only available in the United States and I'm in West Virginia.... GET IT TOGETHER HULU!!! I'm just PAYING you!!!!

jackc204
5/7/18

The constant pushing of ads combined with the instability of the site leads to this being the most frustrating online video service out there. The constant freezes sometimes have you watch the numerous 90-second ads several times before you're able to continue with the program. Their so-called "limited commercial interruption" is an absolute joke, and it almost completely ruins the service. The only saving grace is that it has several shows that I can't find on other platforms. Unless there are several shows that you are really into, stay away from the service. Hulu is severely lacking in every other regard.

hulus
5/3/18

HULU has bad shows and nothing very interesting to watch. They seem to have an agenda. To be boring and overpriced love my netflix. I get more for my money don't waste yours.

janetc15
5/3/18
• Updated review

If you're wondering why I'm back after complaining about how much I hate Hulu, I couldn't help but pay only $0.99 monthly since that was the cost if you have Spotify. Which by the way, if they could afford to hand out $0.99 subscriptions for Hulu, I'm sure they could afford to lower the amount of ads for regular paid users.

I notice the player works with HTML5/Safari now. No more Flash player or any plug-in required. Great! But..

The new interface makes no sense. I use Hulu to watch ONE show and that was the ONLY show I ever watched on Hulu. Yet, there's never a damn queue to watch the next episode. I manually have to look for it. And there's no way for me to continue the show when I visit the homepage. I have to search for the series then choose a season and an episode. Really?

On top of that, the ads are just as annoying as before. Now, I just keep an adblocker on and wait for the countdowns to finish. This case, I don't have to silence the audio or see the ads. I get they offer an ad-free option for a couple of dollars more, but that's not an option with the Spotify Hulu premium add-on situation. You're stuck with this ad-filled version. In any case, Hulu should just meet the middle price of the ad and ad-free subscription and just charge one fee. Who the f@#$ would actually PAY to watch ads? Most people would complain anyway.

“Garbage Web Player”
2/9/16
• Previous review

I am on the computer a lot and watch South Park on the side. The Hulu web player is complete trash. Today, I have seen the Kung Fu Panda (Wix.com) advertisement so many times that I wanted to punch my computer screen. It plays that same commercial clipped in the beginning, then 5 seconds later, plays the whole 30 second commercial.

The web player bugs out and the navigation/slider/skip disappears. The only way to fix that is to refresh the page, and if you do that, the player forces you to start from the beginning and watch the same commercials again even if you JUST saw them!

The player uses Flash which is beyond frustrating. It heats up the Macbook Pro Retina like crazy. And on full screen, it freezes up the browser. On top of that, the navigation on the pages are poor. It's so difficult to to browse episodes.. they're in that slide menu, so tiny, it's impossible to pick episodes comfortably.

The player on the web and on the iPad refuses to play the next episode for any show, and sometimes if I hit "next episode", it plays an episode of a totally different show. Sometimes, it won't remember where I last left off in an episode and would replay the whole thing which requires me to re-watch ads and then skip credits, etc.

Also, I haven't found an option that leads you automatically skip opening and ending credits. It makes absolutely no sense for an ad to play, then opening credits, then another ad and finally the show. At the end of the show, another ad plays then the ending credits. Really?!

Honestly, with frustrations like the ones mentioned above, and the fact that sometimes the player refuses to load (which then you have to close and restart the player, watch the same ads again), you wonder why people pirate all these shows to watch. Because no one wants to PAY and deal with stuff like this!

ebonih4
5/3/18

SO I GOT THE SUPER HULU WITH CABLE CHANNELS LIVE TV AND NO COMMERCIALS. WHAT DO I REALLY PAY FOR COMMERCIALS WITH ALL THE SHOWS YOU PAY FOR TO WATCH MEANING ALL THE GOOD SHOWS WITH HEAVY TITLES ARE GOING TO HAVE COMMERCIALS AFTER EACH SCENE. THE STREAMING IS HORRIBLE, IF I CANT STREAM ON DATA WITH NO PROBLEMS YOU HAVE HORRIBLE SERVICE IN MY OPINION. I COMMUTE UP TO 2HRS A DAY ONE WAY AND I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE TIME TO PASS BY. THIS IS THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE. I CONSTANTLY TWEET THEM AND THEY OFFER NO RESOLUTION, NO COMPENSATION NOTHING. THIS IS THEE MOST HORRIBLE SERVICE EVER. I AM CURRENTLY WAITING FOR IT TO STREAM A SHOW I WAS WATCHING . I HAVE BEEN KICKED OUT 5 TIMES AND REBOOTED MY PHONE 3 TIME AND IM STILL GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT MY PHONE DISCONNECTED DURING PLAYBACK. HULU YOU NEVER PLAYED TO BE DISCONNECTED. STUPID STUPID STUPID...

anonymousp29
4/27/18

First of all, I wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy season 14 so I went on Hulu, (which PAYS) and there are ADs....Like, if you pay, why should there be ads.

Netflix is much better. Hulu says you have to turn off AdBlocker so it can freeze or show you ads every 2 minutes. Not a good website.

Although, for my 2 stars, I like the sneak peeks, deleted episodes, etc., and the season 14 obviously.

juliann121
4/25/18

Excellent services. Really great quality and high definition. Every show is on this app!!! I love these site ..

xff
4/24/18

I would give this company NO STARS if I could...
How does Hulu take my money today 4/24/2018 this morning. I decide to cancel tonight on 4/24/2018 and they say well you already watched more than 5x in the month of April and since you a just paid today 4/24/2018 for part of April and part of May you are still bound by the rules for watching more than 5x in April. I even asked if I can have a partial refund for not watching in May. Again the answer is no because the rest of April is attached. What a lame way to keep my money and not refund it.

joanm113
4/16/18

I have emailed HULU and tried to get answers. This new version really sucks. There is one user in my house and I have to sign in every time I use it. Everything else about it sucks too! It used to be really user friendly!

participations
4/13/18

Hulu abandoned its Queue in favor of a Watchlist designed to promote shows I would never watch. Hulu sacrificed its market advantage by taking away the ability of viewers to navigate easily.

sharons280
4/13/18

I used to love HULU - it was so user friendly, quick and at a glance could see my options and what I would watch. Now it takes so much longer and so many more steps to get to the page where I can then scroll for days to get to what I want to watch and even then I don't know if there is a new episode yet. I find myself avoiding HULU now.
Why would you take something that everyone loved and take away all that was great about it? Is a Netflix undercover spy on your design team? It sure has gotten me to watch Netflix more.

tanyaw46
4/12/18

I used to love Hulu (except for the rewind feature) but the new interface takes too many clicks to get anywhere. What happened???

joef126
4/12/18

First let's me say Hulu is not user friendly, npr is it a consumer base streaming service. Hulu is a you pay self serving streaming service. They would like you to think you pay for a service to stream movies and TV, bit they ate just another marketing service who attracts people in to thinking you are buying a service for you and your family, but your not! Let's say you setting up your profile, they ask you name, age , gender. Why do they need this for TV? Has a she approprate switch why age then? Well lets say you put to days date in the set up, of will automaticlly turn switch to kid appropriate shows and look your profile so you can't even change it. Why there is a age switch? Because they want to know this info do they can collect marketing info to sell on you. So you pay them to watch content you pay for while they track your info to sell it. In a since your paying someone to track and make money on you! There is no need for this and by the way then try and change your profile OMG this app is a big pos and now I know why so many bad reviews because it makes money on commercials, data collection, and from you. What to you get a big fat headache dealing with a service you think would be designed for the user who wants to watch shows that's it, but no just another pay me for what Hulu wants to do. Anyone else think you should be getting what you pay for? I am personally sick of crOp companies that think we are all dumb and will ing to pay for this carp. Now I also think there ate many other issues with Hulu but a lot are already covered here so not going to mention, but one should see how those issues got into what I am saying and you now know why those problems exist also because they ate not a service company working to give you a product of good quality, but trick you to pay them to run there back side business selling all they can about you. Just another self serving scrappy company working on your dime.

bretts57
4/11/18

Horrible connection. I get through 1 of every 10 tries. Then it drops connection ~ 1/2 of the time I'm watching... so that's a 5% success rate. F-

fh50
4/7/18

............................................................................................................................................

springk
4/6/18

After cutting the cable several months ago I could only get my husband to agree to do it because Hulu live is the only streaming service that offers the Philadelphia Flyers and unless you have cable or FIOS, this is the only other way to watch them on TV. That being said I was tired of paying over $280 per month for cable and internet service. I have Hulu live which runs me approximately $45 a month and I have gigabit internet service which is approximately 100 so I knocked almost half of my bill off. Great. Until you try to watch TV with Hulu live. The constant buffering, the unsync renovation of the audio to video, the games that appear to almost be played in slow motion and standard definition, not to mention cutting off the last 2 minutes and 20 seconds of the Super Bowl in which the Philadelphia Eagles won for the first and only time in franchise history! Be advised though that Hulu buys blocks of time for events like sporting matches, so if the block of time is from 8 to 10 p.m. who live will cut off at 10 p.m. even if the game you're watching is going until 10:05)

Also if your TV is not of the newest technology you will not be able to stream directly through your smart TV app to Hulu live, you can only get Hulu Plus or standard Hulu. That's why we have Roku sticks on all of our TVs even though they're only a year or two old.

Hulu live only offers approximately 40 cable channels if you're lucky. Right now though it's our only choice besides cable. So to work around all of the issues most of the time I watch through the TV apps on my Roku stick. I can log in and subscribe to most of them with my Hulu live account, but for those that hulu live does not offer, I just use one of the 27 family member's cable or dish logins who use my Netflix login haha. I don't watch a lot of television so it's not unmanageable or unlivable for me, but if you are someone who watches live TV a lot this is not going to be the best option for you

suzannec64
4/5/18

Ads get longer and longer. Now they stall out so that it takes even longer to get thru them. I am CANCELLING Hulu!

mingb2
3/29/18

I couldn't get the videos to play on my iPhone. Also they don't really have any good movies. The hulu tv shows are kinda lame too.

samanthan29
3/22/18

Same ads over and over again, site says I am using an adblocker when I am not, techs want to blame MY machine for THEIR flaws... if Shudder can do better, they have no excuse.

tvttvyr
3/19/18

We pay for a product that hardly ever works. If it isn't a popular title half the time it skips like an old CD. Go to their website and guess what... No contact info, you must log on in order to see their phone number?? That's the exact definition on a scam.

Going to remove service and then contact a lawyer because they can't hide contact info from the public. What a joke of a company.

225 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Not worth it since they updated their interface into an unusable mess. Customer service is awful, stay far away.

By glenn h.

No. Free OTA TV is better than HULU because with an amplified antenna Free TV actually works!

By Ronald B.

First you'll have to download the HULU app on your computer, laptop or tablet. You can "cast the show" from a computer, laptop and certain tablets. I use my Windows 10 Phone with no problems. OR: You'll need a "media streaming device", for example, a Roku, Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick, or have a "Smart TV". You'll also need a good, FAST internet WiFi connection or have your router close enough to your TV for a wired connection via Ethernet. You then pick from a genre of shows that are available.

By Christopher Q.

I have 65mb down and I don't have any trouble at all. I think you only need 12mb to stream their highest quality. That could be a complicated answer. It may be your router, or wireless device. That's where you should start looking. Contact Comcast and have them help you trouble shoot. I know my provider has that service.

By David K.

Never heard of that, maybe its was advertising for the HBO service you can add on or for their ad-free options which they do not have a free trial of. But they dont charge for their regularshows

By Dani S.

You can use a wii.. a playstation 3, a ruku box.. I have also used my computer and a svga monitor cable to use the laptop to put it right to the tv. You can use google chrome cast also.. the monitor cable works awesome because you can watch utube on your tv too.. tons of movies on there as well.. hope this helps.. I can answer a little better if you have any more questions

By lisa m.

Good luck with that. They are crooks. If you like the British, Canadian and Australian things, Acorn is a terrific deal. I am not affiliated with anybody.

By Gail V.

Don't do it. They suck massive puppy sh!t. I have a download speed of 60 Mbps, and their content still won't stream smoothly. F@ck Hulu, and BS claims they make.

By Monterey B.

If you could provide more info on what/how you're getting Netflix on your TV, are you using a media streaming device (like a Roku, AppleTV, "SmartTV" or a WiFi connected BluRay, the apps are already preloaded on most devices. You can go online and set up an account with Roku and add over 1000 channels from their Channel Store. 90% are free for the watching.

By Christopher Q.

Yes, if you have the live TV subscription. The user interface requires a little getting used to but I have had none of the streaming, buffering issues that others report.

By Vincent W.
Questions? Get answers from the Hulu staff and other customers.

Hulu?