Review of Hulu

support@hulu.com
2017 Customer choice award

juliem587
7/14/19

I love the show selection on Hulu and how new episodes are put on the next day. HOWEVER, this app on my smart TV cuts out and reloads CONSTANTLY. No other app on my TV ever does this and it's starting to become a huge burden.

jasonr361
7/13/19

Hulu is a joke for those of us braking away from the main stream media and internet providers. We us a hotspot out here in little town America because that's all we can get. It works very nicely here. However because it will change the router number from time to time Hulu will not let you use it. Also they do not tell you this till you reset it 4 or so times then all the sudden they will not turn you back on. Also you can get more channels more everything really without this stupid system Hulu has from many other sources. Also with Hulu you can pay an extra 12 a month or so for commercial free. Wrong most shows movies everything almost will still have commercials shoved in your face. Save money and headache go with anyone but Hulu!

fucko23
7/9/19

this website is the $#*!tiest site on the flat earth. as soon as I signed up for a free trial to try it out my credit card was stolen and I lost $200. this will never happen again. trust me this site is promoting being gay which is against gods word I hope this site burns in hell and I hope everyone loses their job all of you will rot in hell

jeffm540
7/9/19

Hulu has gotten worse and worse, just like Netflix. Cancelled Nextflix. Cancelling Hulu next. Hulu limits the available seasons on too many shows. Either provide every episode or nothing. If I like something I want to see it from the start. I guess now that they have a strong base of subscribers they can decide to put more cash in their pocket by reducing the paying clients options. I say "Screw Hulu".

melissam641
7/1/19

Hulu has shows on it I love. It has to do with billing. I had a larger subscription and it ran out at midnight. I got up and knew I didn't have money to keep that large pack. I downgraded. It asked for updated credit card. I did that. It took me back to the downgraded check out page and I hit submit. It sent me a confirmation for the downgraded package. It charged me $65. All they can say is I can cancel and refund it then you can re subscribe. Hmm so I can pay more money and sit around waiting on the refund. While my checking acct will have services charges accumulate from their mistake. They don't care. Either get pre paid cards or never change your subscription if you want Hulu. They only care about number 1 and that's not you.

mb402
6/29/19

Horrible experience with both the actual streaming service and with a CSR/and "higher up" CSR. I have been a Hulu customer for years. Problems started when I tried to open the app today. The app on my old ipad is no longer supported. Tried to update and was not allowed. Then I tried to access my account through the ipad browser. The browser does not allow you to use the account that you pay for. You have to use the app. I contacted customer service and informed them that I wasn't being allowed to access my account from my ipad. I was told that my ipad model was no longer supported. Fine, I get that companies can't support every version of the app for every tech device until the end of time. My issue is that I'm also blocked from accessing it through the internet site on the ipad. I was offered a month, then 3 as a credit for the inconvenience. I didn't want a credit, I wanted access to the account I pay for. So I asked to speak to someone with more authority. I was told that the 3 month credit would be revoked if I insisted on speaking to a higher level person and "thanks for my patients (sic)". I decided being able to actually use the service I pay for was more important to me than a 3 month credit for said service if it was unusable. I then was put on with the level 2 CSR and was informed that I needed to purchase a brand new device if I wanted to continue to use the service because they no longer service the app for my iOS. I said I understood about the app, but that I should be able to access my account from a browser as an alternative. I was informed Hulu is somehow different from all other streaming sites. I pulled up Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube all perfectly fine from the browser to test-and only Hulu denied access and demanded that I use the app. He stated several times that it wasn't Hulu that was blocking access. Let's be clear, they are blocking access from mobile browsers-even for paid accounts. They can use all the "marketing speak" they want about optimizing customer experience blah blah blah. But the reality is that if you don't have the most updated device, they will prevent (another word for block) you from using their service. I was referred to a list of supported devices several times. I don't care what devices your company has been paid to recommend. If the device I'm using can somehow manage to stream video from every other streaming site on the internet, it has sufficient technology to stream from your site. I should not be prevented from streaming the content (that I pay for!) because you have decided my device isn't newest/trendiest one. I don't think I should have to go out and buy a new $600 ipad just to run your app because you refuse to let people access their accounts from the mobile browser. What seems the better solution Hulu; upgrading your own technology or trying to force everyone else in the world to upgrade theirs? The tech device boom of the early '00s is over. People aren't standing in line for days to get the newest iphone or tablet anymore. People aren't upgrading their "play" devices the second a new one comes out anymore. You have to have a secondary access option for people that pay for your service that have devices older than a toddler.

johnnyb145
6/26/19

Always loosing the signal. All the time, middle of your favorite show - out goes the signal. Tonight again, its been out for a half an hour. Very unhappy!

chrisc956
6/26/19

Live streaming won't work. Got a subscription for all the great soccer, Women's World Cup, CONCACAF, Copa Oro. When I try to click for help troubleshooting, Hulu says too many people in my organization are asking for help and they must limit requests. I'm one user, not an organization. Called the customer service helpline, they apologize for not being able to take my call. Not sure who would consider this a worthwhile investment of $45 a month... I do not. Worthless waste of money. Dare I say, thieves? I paid for a service that I'm not getting and there is zero customer care. I want a refund after less than a week of signing up for a subscription. DON'T GET ROBBED!!!!

gayleg35
6/20/19

Hulu offers ad free service. While some shows are ad free many are not. You can not fast forward thru the ads but must watch from 2 to 7 ads.
Hulu says they will keep track of shows you watch but many times you have to remember what episode you are one as Hulu does not.

brittained
6/13/19

I'm more upset I've been watching the same seasons of tv shows since 2014. No updates at all. Unless it's a Hulu OG . Everywhere else updates there seasons. I can't wait till Disney comes because I'm getting rid of hulu.

bigj127
6/13/19

Watch 3 adds.. Start ur show, then 10 seconds into the show, 3 more adds!!!!! & you're forced to watch em! You can't skip em!! 0 stars!! F@ck this $hit!!!! Netflix is better.. To many damn adds!!!!!!!!!!!

francesm116
6/12/19

Started Hulu again just for Handmaids tale. First night 3 episodes are available. Good. Had to wait a week for one more lousy episode. Now it's one a week for 8 more weeks. That's the whole stinkin summer. Horrible, I paused it for 2 months and will catch up on Handmaids tale in August and then will never HULU again.
VERY DISAPPOINTED!
If they have anything else good, I guess I'll miss it. Who cares!

O

paigeh36
6/12/19

Not worth it! When you sign up for live tv they don't tell you that you can only watch it a few devices. When I went to watch live tv non of my devices worked with it so I payed a ton of money for something I couldn't even use. Not a good service for the amount they charge you for it.

as383
6/7/19

Besides a ridiculous amount of ads (that also hang and prevent you from getting back to the episode), there are so many technical issues. After I cancelled my subscription, they didn't even let me continue watching any shows for the remainder of my billing period. I'm disgusted by how terrible the entire service is. Absolutely disappointed!

teagant
6/5/19

The ONLY reason I'm still paying Hulu, using their streaming service is because they are the only service that provide the shows I like. Netflix used to carry a lot of them (Archer, It's always sunny in Philadelphia, South Park..etc.) but for whatever idiotic reason, they decided to stop letting us stream that online.. Prime sucks even more. Hulu is the only one that carries these shows but they make the whole streaming experience worse than being stuck in an elevator with Al Gore for days. I can't stand them, it's the same kind of issues, time after time after time. No matter how many times I report it, how many times others report it and complain, they refuse to fix their issues.

And when they changed their user interface.. god, I didn't know they could suck even more, on top of all the recurring issues.

Constant problems that won't allow streaming.
Autoplay is a joke, it works maybe 30% of the time.
User interface sucks.
The one thing they needed to do, was allow streaming.. and when that's the main issue.. then what good are they?!

If only I knew somewhere else where I can stream my shows with less problems than Hulu, I'd drop them in half a heartbeat!

chloel24
6/3/19

The regular movies still have ads, shows still have ads they false advertise.The regular movies still have ads, shows still have ads they false advertise.The regular movies still have ads, shows still have ads they false advertise.The regular movies still have ads, shows still have ads they false advertise.

allanl51
6/2/19

Cancelled Hulu 30 day free trial on 28th day. Hulu billed my credit card for the following month and refused to refund the charges. Hulu claimed I was one day late to cancel, so they will not refund. I'm convinced Hulu is practicing this scam and swindling people by billing their credit card. This practice is clearly fraud. Here's the details: Purchased Roku streaming device at 8:47 p.m. on April 30, 2019 (as clearly stated on my receipt). Hooked up Roku device, created an account on Hulu later that night and marked my calendar. Cancelled on May 28th and noticed Hulu was still active on May 29th at 9:15 p.m., so I immediately checked my Hulu account and found the statement "Your subscription is about to cancelCancel Date: 06/29/19" and "Billing History Last payment on: 05/29/19" and "Payment Information Payment Method MASTERCARD". I immediately contacted Hulu customer service and was informed that I opened the account on the April 27th, cancelled one day late on the 28th so they're not able to refund the charges, stating I went beyond the 30 day trial. Interesting scam to say the least! Hulu picked the wrong person to rip off.

estebans16
6/1/19

Don't bother getting this service is you move to the suburbs. We had no choice but to get a mobile internet hotspot and Hulu doesn't allow it. Very rude too when you call to complain too. We were treated like another expendable customer. Thank God for Sling, DirecTVNow and YouTube Live TV.

ritaa88
5/31/19

Biggest concern: we had to delete and restore our Hulu account because of a Roku issue and we were restored to someone else's account! Multiple efforts to correct were unsuccessful. Contacted Hulu phone support at 10 pm. Call was answered promptly, and their instructions resolved the issue quickly (leading us to suspect that this may be a relatively common occurrence?). That is a concerning breach of privacy. Other concerns: frequent 'failures to record'; generally non-intuitive user interface.

joelm165
5/22/19

Way overpriced for local. $45 month should be comercal free and that is still overpriced. Plus the movie content is rearly updated

barrette3
5/20/19

Great content, but not worth it because the technical difficulties are so consistent across platforms, browsers, devices, etc.

jays447
5/19/19

Screen just stops for no reason, seems to be buffering then an error message "unable to playback and it may get stuck in this cycle for an hour or more. Also may suddenly rewind a show your watching for absolutely no reason. Called customer service several times and gone through the same process over and over.. unplug the firestick, clear cache, reset your router, delete and reinstall Hulu, check your Internet speed, bla bla bla nothing works. We have one of the fastest Internet services in the nation in my area so that's not it.

danielr447
5/18/19

So today I renewed my HULU live account. Last month wife and I cancelled a showtime addition after trying the free time and then a month after that realizing it doesnt have enough different movies to keep. So I went in changed in my manage account and removed. Well yesterday I noticed a charge of 61.98. Should be 50.99. I contacted them today. And to issue me credit get this. They have to cancel my entire account refund the 61.98 and then I have to rejoin immediately and they will charge me again 50.99. The customer service person was nice and even though i told her 3 months ago we decided to cancel live tv as it was really streaming badly. We we were issued a credit immediately for that without renewing our account. I pointed this out to her and she said this was company policy. So I would be charged twice a credit to my card but I wont see that for 7 days. I told her you really want to have me burn your company down on review sites over 10.99 she said that was company policy.

emilyj150
5/10/19

Good for watching tv shows, but there are way too many commercials. And they're long, usually 90 seconds. I wouldn't pay full price for it, I only use it because I have it for 99 cents a month for a year.

brandonm98
5/9/19

Otherwise I would not have it. I could go into detail, but the one major thing that bothers me is there seems to be more adds than show time. Watch 5 minutes of a show and then you have to watch 90-120 seconds of commercials... And even though they have some content that Netflix doesn't have, this is why most consider Netflix to be better. We don't want to have to pay for a subscription and sit through the same commercials every 5 minutes!
I will not be renewing because I don't see it being work $12 a month...

Tip for consumers: Be ready for ads.

226 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Not worth it since they updated their interface into an unusable mess. Customer service is awful, stay far away.

By glenn h.

No. Free OTA TV is better than HULU because with an amplified antenna Free TV actually works!

By Ronald B.

You don't need a fancy smart TV or an App. Hook up your computer or laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable. Set your TV INPUT to HDMI (go to your tv menu, find the input, and select HDMI 1 or 2... whichever port your cable is plugged into). Turn on your computer, log into internet, go to www.hulu.com, sign in, and you're in business. Cool tip: get a wireless keyboard and mouse and you're surfing the web from comfort of your couch. I watch Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, shop online, go on Facebook and email... all from my couch on the big screen :)

By Jenn S.

I have 65mb down and I don't have any trouble at all. I think you only need 12mb to stream their highest quality. That could be a complicated answer. It may be your router, or wireless device. That's where you should start looking. Contact Comcast and have them help you trouble shoot. I know my provider has that service.

By David K.

I have similar speeds, about 50 Mbps, but don't have any issue with streaming shows smoothly on HULU. I watch streaming shows directly off my computer, which is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable, essentially works like a big monitor. I connect my computer to internet, and log into www.hulu.com. Works fine. I travel a bit and I also watch shows over hotel WiFi on my laptop, which surely have much slower speeds. I'm not sure why some people have issues at such high connection speeds. IMO, HULU is worth it IF they have the shows available that you want to watch. HULU doesn't have right to many shows. Or you have to pay extra like for HBO.

By Jenn S.

Never heard of that, maybe its was advertising for the HBO service you can add on or for their ad-free options which they do not have a free trial of. But they dont charge for their regularshows

By Dani S.

You can use a wii.. a playstation 3, a ruku box.. I have also used my computer and a svga monitor cable to use the laptop to put it right to the tv. You can use google chrome cast also.. the monitor cable works awesome because you can watch utube on your tv too.. tons of movies on there as well.. hope this helps.. I can answer a little better if you have any more questions

By lisa m.

Good luck with that. They are crooks. If you like the British, Canadian and Australian things, Acorn is a terrific deal. I am not affiliated with anybody.

By Gail V.

If you could provide more info on what/how you're getting Netflix on your TV, are you using a media streaming device (like a Roku, AppleTV, "SmartTV" or a WiFi connected BluRay, the apps are already preloaded on most devices. You can go online and set up an account with Roku and add over 1000 channels from their Channel Store. 90% are free for the watching.

By Christopher Q.

Yes, if you have the live TV subscription. The user interface requires a little getting used to but I have had none of the streaming, buffering issues that others report.

By Vincent W.
Questions? Get answers from the Hulu staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Hulu