Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

samc244
8/22/18

once you do the trial, they make it nearly impossible to remove it.
and the billing seems very stealthy so you don't really see it easily.
the content isn't even that good.
Don't fall for the free preview

samb320
8/13/18

Could only watch about 5 minutes of new show Murder Investigation Team because filming technique of ?handheld? camera to jerky giving me nausea and a headache.

donalds238
7/16/18

I like many of the offerings on Acorn. But getting them to address the problems with their application is very difficult. A problem recently arose where, when I click on the series icons for Vera or Midsummer Murders, the Acorn application exits and takes me back to the Roku Home screen. Their supposed workaround isn't really workable. And, I agree that the new interface is a disaster, clunky, slow, and missing vital functionality that was available in the previous version.

bonnieb57
5/28/18

I love the programming on Acorn. Just love it. I dont know where they're based, but sometimes their customer service is rude. Must not be in the US I'm guessing? Like, "no further reply is necessary." Hold on there partner, I'm paying you. I'm not an employee. LOL. I have Acorn on Comcast and they kept telling me their sucky closed captioning was a comcast issue. They emailed me referencing "my comcast issue" and I answered that Comcast DOES NOT do closed captioning for Acorn. It's not a Comcast issue. Then they answered why do you think we're saying it's a Comcast issue. OMG! It is "who's on first," with Abbott and Castello...just not funny.

Then...they sent me an email to uninstall my app and reinstall it. It's a cable channel!!! Not on my PC or cell or tablet. It's on my fricken TV not an Acorn app. Do they have cable TV where they are? My Lord have mercy. I've never seen anything like it. Love the programs but customer service is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

mariev35
5/23/18

I am also having problems with acorn TV... I have sent in email requests with no reply.

1-888-870-8047 Acorn TV Customer Service

carolg240
5/21/18

Can not watch a show for more than a minute before it stops and loads again, and again and again and again and again and again. Do you get the picture! We have tried to contact consumer service but they are non-existent. We will be cancelling.

elizabeths415
5/21/18

The new update is awful. You've taken an excellent service and have made it hard to enjoy any more. Your shows are fine - but it's impossible to navigate the new interface. It's busy, kludgy, and sloppy. Why did you take the Watch List away? Often that was the easiest and most efficient way to continue watching a set of shows. Was Acorn sold to someone else - who's now working on the cheap? Something really bad happened. Get your act together.

sharonk164
5/17/18

My Watch List never updates, so I have to search for the same show every time I log in. What a bother. I can't believe Acorn hasn't fixed this yet. It's been over a month...no response to email about the issue. Acorn should post a notice to their website admitting that there is a problem and committing to a fix date. Radio silence is not cool.

reginac35
5/16/18
• Updated review

It is now 41 days after the review and many calls and written requests for help. I have received general feedback asking if I am happy with the fix. What fix? No fix. I wanted to write a positive update but am unable to do so simply because these guys are beyond incompetent. An issue exist in their software which they are unwilling to acknowledge. I have changed email, passwords, servers, IP's, OS, devices and location. Somehow, somewhere deep in the underbelly of this beast is a software glitch that they will not acknowledge.

So, find an alternative would be my best suggestion. If what you have works, then great, keep it. The first sign of problems, resolve it or run for the hills.

“Customer service is in the original black hole and shall never appear in person!”
4/5/18
• Previous review

Three months of the same code error preventing us from playing any programmes on any device any where on the planet. That includes at home.

So many request for help TOTALLY ignored. We were one of the very first to sign up when AcornTV started and never had cause to contact them. After years of loyal subscription this is the outcome. The shows are good but God forbid you need help. They are totally incompetent and unwilling to reveal a human element in the discussion. I would strongly advise you avoid these folks until they get their act together. Before this three month long fiasco I would have highly recommend them. Now...never!

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere perhaps at Britbox or get an Android Player that gives access.

paulam171
5/15/18

I paid for a year's subscription and spent 90% of my time trying to find any CSR from this company that could help. They don't have the server power to deliver the shows they advertise and when u can't watch them and contact them they tell you it's your pc and make u do all kinds of crap that doesn't help. I would NOT recommend this company. I am now totally unable to even log in to my acct. and I've only had it for 2 months.

cind
5/10/18

The newest upgrade really messed up AcornTV taking away all of the wonderful things that made Acorn one of the best for streaming. They went backward instead of forward. If that wasn't bad enough, the past two days Acorn will not play any videos on our Roku devices. Customer service must be non-existent because they never write back. We have had AcornTV for years and until this latest upgrade, I would have easily given them 5 stars. Now that I can't play any of their videos and customer service ignores me, it's down to 2 stars. I went with 2 because they used to be great, and I'm hoping they get their act together. If not, we won't renew and will take our business to Britbox.

violeta4
5/10/18

I like the diversity of the new shows! But I hate the new Format! Go back to the previous format! Also I used to be able to the rate a show on the spot and see the rating of specific shows and now I cannot longer do that!

grahamw51
5/6/18

I have subscribed to Acorn TV for over four years with just a few minor issues. I recently decided to cancel the service due to lack of new content. Many shows can be viewed elsewhere. I have now asked an unbelievable FIVE times to cancel my account and send me email confirmation. I have yet to receive anything but their standard "ticket" form which amounts to nothing. Yesterday, amazingly they mailed me to say they could no longer access my credit card to charge my fee. This is because I have now had to cancel my card in order to stop them charging my account. This beggars belief, either they are totally stupid or think their customers are. I have read several complaints from customers who they have also continued to charge after closing their accounts. Seems this is standard practice so I must conclude they are a shady bunch. Be wary of opening an account with these people.

ling66
4/30/18

I see that they finally marked the episodes watched but why couldn't they do that before releasing the new version. I still prefer the previous version, it was so much easier to deal with. Still a big problem with the closed caption. When i stop watching in the middle of an episode and then go back to it, 9 times out of 10 the CC is way off.
This company has to be the most unprofessional of the streaming channels.
Agree re bad customer service.

gregorym61
4/27/18

Prior to the upgrade Acorn worked fine. My ROKU automatically upgrades all channels so one day I turned it on and noticed a major format change. No problem, I watched two shows Problemthe shows were never recorded in my recently watched list. To watch additional episodes I had to go back to search and find the shows. Emailed Acorn and their response was upgrade the Acorn channel on your ROKU. That is what caused the problem. I suspect all Acorn users now have a beta version of the software. They should de-bug before implementing a new version. Emailed them again telling them their fix didnt work. Will see if I get a response.

deborahp81
4/16/18

This new version of the app won't let me cast to the TV anymore. Been waiting for two days to hear from the help desk. Tried reinstalling, no joy. It would be a good idea to have help staff available when rolling out a major app update.

So, three stars for the catalog and minus two for failure to beta test app updates

corinas10
4/6/18

Terrible! One day I can wath a show and the next day I get a messahe saying it is or not available in my geographic location. Furthermore I can not find out which shows are are/not available in Canada. It is terribly frustrating. What I did find a shows are or are not available. It seems we get only shows that ate 10 years or older whichi can get anywhere else for free.

luciag12
3/27/18

I tried acorn for a free week, but canceled after a few hours. They charged me anyway, with no warning. Totally unprofessional and useless service.

lindar173
3/26/18

Using Acorn TV means that you can not put a program on pause and in the middle of a program, you get a large box in the middle of the picture that says, "Check your settings and Exit? What settings? To see the rest of the program, you must replay the whole program. I'm going to opt for Brit Box.

moriaha1
3/18/18

BAD Customer Service. Limited choices. Older shows need remastering. Price is good. I mistakenly registered for one year. 48 hours later I tried to correct this. They would not give me a refund. All I received was a pre-written form email. Two days of unused access should not cost me a full year subscription.

jy179
2/18/18

I couldnt do with out it. A family member is in an Adult Home and would be lost and lonely without AcornTV. Keep the wonderful programs coming. Thank AcornTV.

judyc102
1/8/18

Really? I can't believe some of these reviews. We love ACORN. The acting is overall very good. There are plenty of great shows to watch. But I have to admit to being disappointed in the writing on The Indian Doctor. It started with great promise and the acting was terrific with initial story lines engaging. It seemed that it got more farcical as it went on - until the ending was totally ludicrous ! Sorry to see this show go down in flames. Though we are new to this service - we like it so far. And Foyle's War is always a plus -- consistently brilliant !

maryanng25
1/1/18

Im not happy about watching shows with filthy language and explicit sex scenes and programs have no warnings to tell you! Not happy about this at all! This is my biggest complaint.

daras26
12/23/17

I have never been able to create an account or watch the channel, even though I paid $49.99 for a year of service. They don't have a phone number, nor do they answer their own emails. Complaints are handled by an outside service. I guess they got my money and I'm not going to get the service. These people are crooks!! I wish I could give them no stars!

deborahc121
12/20/17

This is not a streaming service. Showing one episode per week forever is not what I signed up for. Plus the offerings of supposed best British shows is a joke. There are a few that are good. Get rid of the rest. If I could find shows like Murdoch Mysteries somewhere else, I would. Once my subscription nears expiration I may not renew.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV