Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

waynec158
10/8/18
Acorn TV was my go-to for watching British TV. Watch for years using a Amazon Firestick. Now it just crashes out of the app. Speed test shows more than adequate bandwidth. Firestick attached via Cat5e to switch. The ability to use Apple devices to Chromecast is gone as the Chromecast icon in the app is no longer present. Trouble tickets appeared to be automated with no one doing anything. Something bad is going on with Acorn TV.
helenem25
10/6/18
What is going on with Acorn TV. I used to be able to watch without any streaming issues on my Samsung 4K Smart TV, lately the videos freeze up and re-set and then I have to go back to the main menu and scroll through the menus to resume watching. I want my money back, but I've paid through August 2019. I cannot get any response from Customer Service--do they have anyone at the Service Desk? I am so disappointed the quality and do not recommend Acorn TV anymore.
terif16
9/30/18
The programming is great - if I could watch an entire episode without it freezing in the frame and restarting. Continual issue. And you have to find the program each tome and find where you left off. Ridiculous waste of time. And good luck getting any customer service whatsoever. Canceling my subscription, which is a shame because I like the shows... well, I did until it got to where I can only watch about ten minutes max at a time before it resets itself- and then back to finding the episode I was watching. Don't bother. Horrible service
philm138
9/29/18
signed up for year subscription on 26 sept 2018 could not get app to work on samsung 4k tv, emailed Acorn on 27th and again on the 28th no reply so assuming they must all be on holiday lol and asked them how to get the app working. thenon sept 28th 2018 noticed as of the 27th samsung no longer recognises the acorn app. Did samsung just say that the morning of the 27th and was it a surprise to Acorn?? on the Acorn web site said that you can get Acorn Tv through Amazon Prime but no instructions how to do it. Seems they dont care they got my years subscription money so now have to try to get it back.

Tip for consumers: DON'T GET FOOLED BY THE CHEAP MONTHLY PRICE IF YOU CANNOT GET ALCORN TO WORK ON YOUR TV THEN THE CHEAP PRICE IS EXTREAMLY EXPENSIVE

tinat20
8/28/18
I have no complaints but I also rarely use the app. I watch on a regular PC using an old TV as a monitor. The few times I have used the app on my Samsung Galaxy, it has worked fine. The shows are great but it seems like they are very current or from the 70s with little in between. Add more shows please!
brendaw179
8/25/18
• Updated review
My original review stated the app wasn't up to date, and shortly after I was fed up and wrote it, about 2 weeks later, everything changed. It now stops and I can continue on another T.V. It keeps track of what you've watched. Now if only Apple T.V. wasn't so difficult to use, we're getting rid of that and getting another Roku, which is awesome.
“Love the programming.........but........”
8/25/18
• Previous review
I love the shows offered on Acorn TV. But the app is way behind the times. It doesn't let you resume a show, that's crazy for a streaming app. We have 3 people in our house, and are often watching different programming. If I stop in the middles of something, I literally have to old school it, and pause the program and write down where I left off. It won't even take you to the season you were watching, much less the episode.
samc244
8/22/18
once you do the trial, they make it nearly impossible to remove it.
and the billing seems very stealthy so you don't really see it easily.
the content isn't even that good.
Don't fall for the free preview
samb320
8/13/18
Could only watch about 5 minutes of new show Murder Investigation Team because filming technique of ?handheld? camera to jerky giving me nausea and a headache.
donalds238
7/16/18
I like many of the offerings on Acorn. But getting them to address the problems with their application is very difficult. A problem recently arose where, when I click on the series icons for Vera or Midsummer Murders, the Acorn application exits and takes me back to the Roku Home screen. Their supposed workaround isn't really workable. And, I agree that the new interface is a disaster, clunky, slow, and missing vital functionality that was available in the previous version.
bonnieb57
5/28/18
I love the programming on Acorn. Just love it. I dont know where they're based, but sometimes their customer service is rude. Must not be in the US I'm guessing? Like, "no further reply is necessary." Hold on there partner, I'm paying you. I'm not an employee. LOL. I have Acorn on Comcast and they kept telling me their sucky closed captioning was a comcast issue. They emailed me referencing "my comcast issue" and I answered that Comcast DOES NOT do closed captioning for Acorn. It's not a Comcast issue. Then they answered why do you think we're saying it's a Comcast issue. OMG! It is "who's on first," with Abbott and Castello...just not funny.

Then...they sent me an email to uninstall my app and reinstall it. It's a cable channel!!! Not on my PC or cell or tablet. It's on my fricken TV not an Acorn app. Do they have cable TV where they are? My Lord have mercy. I've never seen anything like it. Love the programs but customer service is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
mariev35
5/23/18
I am also having problems with acorn TV... I have sent in email requests with no reply.

*******047 Acorn TV Customer Service
carolg240
5/21/18
Can not watch a show for more than a minute before it stops and loads again, and again and again and again and again and again. Do you get the picture! We have tried to contact consumer service but they are non-existent. We will be cancelling.
elizabeths415
5/21/18
The new update is awful. You've taken an excellent service and have made it hard to enjoy any more. Your shows are fine - but it's impossible to navigate the new interface. It's busy, kludgy, and sloppy. Why did you take the Watch List away? Often that was the easiest and most efficient way to continue watching a set of shows. Was Acorn sold to someone else - who's now working on the cheap? Something really bad happened. Get your act together.
sharonk164
5/17/18
My Watch List never updates, so I have to search for the same show every time I log in. What a bother. I can't believe Acorn hasn't fixed this yet. It's been over a month...no response to email about the issue. Acorn should post a notice to their website admitting that there is a problem and committing to a fix date. Radio silence is not cool.
reginac35
5/16/18
• Updated review
It is now 41 days after the review and many calls and written requests for help. I have received general feedback asking if I am happy with the fix. What fix? No fix. I wanted to write a positive update but am unable to do so simply because these guys are beyond incompetent. An issue exist in their software which they are unwilling to acknowledge. I have changed email, passwords, servers, IP's, OS, devices and location. Somehow, somewhere deep in the underbelly of this beast is a software glitch that they will not acknowledge.

So, find an alternative would be my best suggestion. If what you have works, then great, keep it. The first sign of problems, resolve it or run for the hills.
“Customer service is in the original black hole and shall never appear in person!”
4/5/18
• Previous review
Three months of the same code error preventing us from playing any programmes on any device any where on the planet. That includes at home.

So many request for help TOTALLY ignored. We were one of the very first to sign up when AcornTV started and never had cause to contact them. After years of loyal subscription this is the outcome. The shows are good but God forbid you need help. They are totally incompetent and unwilling to reveal a human element in the discussion. I would strongly advise you avoid these folks until they get their act together. Before this three month long fiasco I would have highly recommend them. Now...never!

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere perhaps at Britbox or get an Android Player that gives access.

paulam171
5/15/18
I paid for a year's subscription and spent 90% of my time trying to find any CSR from this company that could help. They don't have the server power to deliver the shows they advertise and when u can't watch them and contact them they tell you it's your pc and make u do all kinds of crap that doesn't help. I would NOT recommend this company. I am now totally unable to even log in to my acct. and I've only had it for 2 months.
cind
5/10/18
The newest upgrade really messed up AcornTV taking away all of the wonderful things that made Acorn one of the best for streaming. They went backward instead of forward. If that wasn't bad enough, the past two days Acorn will not play any videos on our Roku devices. Customer service must be non-existent because they never write back. We have had AcornTV for years and until this latest upgrade, I would have easily given them 5 stars. Now that I can't play any of their videos and customer service ignores me, it's down to 2 stars. I went with 2 because they used to be great, and I'm hoping they get their act together. If not, we won't renew and will take our business to Britbox.
violeta4
5/10/18
I like the diversity of the new shows! But I hate the new Format! Go back to the previous format! Also I used to be able to the rate a show on the spot and see the rating of specific shows and now I cannot longer do that!
grahamw51
5/6/18
I have subscribed to Acorn TV for over four years with just a few minor issues. I recently decided to cancel the service due to lack of new content. Many shows can be viewed elsewhere. I have now asked an unbelievable FIVE times to cancel my account and send me email confirmation. I have yet to receive anything but their standard "ticket" form which amounts to nothing. Yesterday, amazingly they mailed me to say they could no longer access my credit card to charge my fee. This is because I have now had to cancel my card in order to stop them charging my account. This beggars belief, either they are totally stupid or think their customers are. I have read several complaints from customers who they have also continued to charge after closing their accounts. Seems this is standard practice so I must conclude they are a shady bunch. Be wary of opening an account with these people.
ling66
4/30/18
I see that they finally marked the episodes watched but why couldn't they do that before releasing the new version. I still prefer the previous version, it was so much easier to deal with. Still a big problem with the closed caption. When i stop watching in the middle of an episode and then go back to it, 9 times out of 10 the CC is way off.
This company has to be the most unprofessional of the streaming channels.
Agree re bad customer service.
gregorym61
4/27/18
Prior to the upgrade Acorn worked fine. My ROKU automatically upgrades all channels so one day I turned it on and noticed a major format change. No problem, I watched two shows Problemthe shows were never recorded in my recently watched list. To watch additional episodes I had to go back to search and find the shows. Emailed Acorn and their response was upgrade the Acorn channel on your ROKU. That is what caused the problem. I suspect all Acorn users now have a beta version of the software. They should de-bug before implementing a new version. Emailed them again telling them their fix didnt work. Will see if I get a response.
deborahp81
4/16/18
This new version of the app won't let me cast to the TV anymore. Been waiting for two days to hear from the help desk. Tried reinstalling, no joy. It would be a good idea to have help staff available when rolling out a major app update.

So, three stars for the catalog and minus two for failure to beta test app updates
corinas10
4/6/18
Terrible! One day I can wath a show and the next day I get a messahe saying it is or not available in my geographic location. Furthermore I can not find out which shows are are/not available in Canada. It is terribly frustrating. What I did find a shows are or are not available. It seems we get only shows that ate 10 years or older whichi can get anywhere else for free.
luciag12
3/27/18
I tried acorn for a free week, but canceled after a few hours. They charged me anyway, with no warning. Totally unprofessional and useless service.
lindar173
3/26/18
Using Acorn TV means that you can not put a program on pause and in the middle of a program, you get a large box in the middle of the picture that says, "Check your settings and Exit? What settings? To see the rest of the program, you must replay the whole program. I'm going to opt for Brit Box.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV