Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

cathyb69
3/10/17

I unsubscribed after free month trial. Its been 6 months since and I am being charged again on last 4 bills. I did not reactivate and according to my subscription I am still unsubscribed. I have learned a lesson and will not subscribe to free trials again.

Tip for consumers: Dont subscribe

daler39
3/8/17

I have had Acorn TV since July 2016 and cringe when I want to watch a program. Download speed is at 3 to 5 times faster than the recommended speed by the company.

joyceb15
2/24/17

We have had a shaky start with program and surrendered for a few months but missed the PBS atmosphere. Got newest Apple TV for Christmas, EXCELLENT! Like the request a show you would like to see featured option. Appreciate the projected programs and those going away, as it helps to plan watching without the surprise of logging on for a certain program and finding it is missing. Have discovered Lord and Master and frankly hoping for a series three. The early stop, stutter and blacking out seem to be related to the device, not Acorn itself. Thanks

arleneh6
2/13/17

No one likes the weekly release of shows! We like to binge watch but it takes 1/2 a year to watch the best series! WE HATE IT!

jamesh402
2/10/17

More programs I can not watch than can. Particularly the most pushed by acorn.
Love the programmes I can watch. Any calls to customer service where unhelpful

janetf30
2/10/17

Love the shows. Love them.

However, there are consistent problems with programs buffering and stuttering. I have very fast wi-fi and a fast, powerful computer. But still the problems.

I have to wonder why I have no problems of this kind at all with Amazon Prime or even YouTube. Just Acorn TV.

Tried contacting customer service. Two weeks later I got an email back that had nothing to do with the problem. So whoever wrote it hadn't even read my email.

This service is cheap for a reason.

asherj1
2/7/17

This may be the most affordable streaming service with prices starting at $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year. They'll give you a week to try it for free. I didn't expect much because of the cheap price but now i find myself watching Acorn TV more than the other channels.Their customer service was very pleasant and professional the one time i contacted them for assistance getting the service setup on my TV. I highly recommend subscribing.

Tip for consumers: I haven't noticed any system requirements but as a veteran streamer, i recommend having at least 8 gigs of RAM even with a fast internet connection. This will be helpful when streaming during common hours

carold78
1/29/17

I really like the Brit TV and movies. However, I'm amazed at what terrible service, and what a chaotic website Acorn TV offers. As for service, don't expect to ever get a response from any email you send them on the Contact Us page. In the rare instance of getting a response days or weeks later, it will have nothing to do with what you asked.
As for the website, they continually put up selections that they don't have--click on it to watch it and you get "you must have typed it in wrong, no such page." Or the other frequent one--that it's available only it's not. It's coming, only it's not.
Amazing how little they care about decent customer service!

davidl382
1/26/17

I remember when I signed up for the free trial only to watch Doc Martin, then I liked what was in their content so decided to keep the subscription, but I just called to switch over to a 12 month customer because it's cheaper than monthly and I cannot stop watching all this good videos!

glenk14
1/20/17

I have contacted customer service and unsubscribed from Roku and Acorn is still charging me. Email to "Customer Service" didn't work either.

patricko47
1/8/17

For five dollars a month there is no comparison for the value. I have been a customer for a few years now, and I have have enjoyed the countless hours new content every week! I have had an issue with billing once, so I contacted the service department who were able to locate the problem and give me a refund. They even gave me an extra month due to the hassle! I couldn't have asked for a more courteous exchange! Would HIGHLY recommend this to my friends.

paulp140
12/27/16

I got a whole year for under $50. That's like $4 per month, an unbeatable deal for classy, quality content, most of which you can't find anywhere else! Even better, when I gave my mom a gift of a year for Christmas, they gave me another month free. Now I just need more time to watch it all.

msc7
12/20/16

I love having a localized site to escape the trash of American (mostly reality) TV. Having it all in one place is great, no searching through piles of bad programming to get to the good stuff.

cherylk45
12/19/16

Midsomer Murders to Murdoch Mysteries and anything in between I love Acorn TV gives me access to the shows at my fingertips and on so many different platforms.

kv39
12/17/16

I love being able to watch my British TV. I am obsessed with Crownies and Janet King!
You can't beat $4.99 a month. Customer service was on top of it as well. Fast responses.

michaelas8
12/14/16

I have been an Active Acorn TV subscriber for the past 3 years. I recently had issues with My Samsung Smart TV not allowing me to log in with my email address and password. I found out that Samsung has removed our model from the Compatibility list. We decided to purchase A Roku Player to connect to their site. We can't thank the reps at Acorn TV enough for trying to assist us with streaming again. You guys Rock!

davidp284
12/9/16

In the last year content for Canadian customers is virtually non existent.

wendyc75
12/7/16

I recently signed up with Acorn.tv and was trying to download on my iphone...I called in-they knew exactly how to walk me through downloading the app and even sent a follow up email with additional instructions because I said I wanted to watch on my Kindle Fire also. The programs have been entertaining so far and I am hook'd on the ease of use. Thank you Acorn for providing a worthwhile service at an affordable price that is easy to use for all.

kh775
12/7/16

Thank you Acorn Customer Service. I was having a horrible time logging in. I sent in a request ticket for help and got a new password assigned within 1 hour - I am now logged in and enjoying My Acorn TV!

marshap9
12/5/16

I have had Acorn subscriptions off and on since 2013. After an "off" period due to heavy work schedule, I recently renewed so I could catch up on a couple of series that are not available elsewhere. Much to my dismay, I've discovered that the streaming feature has apparently gone straight downhill, with numerous lags, stalls, and skips.

Since I renewed the subscription in October 2016, I have noticed buffering problems that were never there in past subscriptions. Also, the episodes will sometimes suddenly freeze, then abruptly skip ahead to the end of the episode, bypassing the stuff in the middle. But the worst problem happens if I try to pause the show in mid-episode (to answer the phone, grab a cup of coffee, etc.) and then resume play after a few minutes. Some of the time, the audio resumes playing but the video picture remains frozen, but most of the time, the episode just won't restart. I have to reload the site, clear the cache and all cookies, and then restart. At which point, the episode resumes playing from the very beginning and there is no way to fast forward to the point where it left off. Very frustrating. I see by numerous forum posts, here and on other sites, that this is an ongoing problem but Acorn is apparently unable or unwilling to fix it. I sent a complaint several weeks ago but received no response. After another week of very frustrating "service" and no way to speak to a human being at Acorn about the problem, I'm about to cancel my account and request a refund for the remaining portion of my yearlong subscription.

melissah96
12/5/16

I am a newer subscriber to Acorn TV and thoroughly adore all the programs. It has a wide range of programs to peak all interest.
Being able to view all my favorites on the go is wonderful. I watch it on my Apple Ipad, Iphone 6S, and my PC.

If you've never checked out Acorn TV your missing out.

Melissa, VA

ellens55
11/28/16

Yes. I subscribe through Roku, and my account is auto paid. I am unable to log in. Roku customer service is atrocious and I am hoping that I can go around them. Please advise. I am on the verge of canceling.

ians80
11/17/16

What idiots designed the UI? No one with 1/2 a clue that's for sure. Playback REGULARLY (4-6 times in an hour episode) jumps to the end and you need to restart the program then fast forward to where it failed. It doesn't remember where you were and FF is unreliable. Sometimes it jumps a few seconds, sometimes 30 seconds, other times it'll jump to the end.

No preview window when fast forwarding so you have no clue where you are. Recently watched list does not populate.

Emailed them with my concerns (we are on our week free trial). ZERO response. So what will their service be like if we're paying? Well, guess it couldn't get worse!!

Absolute rubbish!

patriciam157
11/16/16

Why is the selection for Canadian viewers so crappy? The U.S. gets the best shows, we get the leftovers

johns1507
John S.
11/12/16

Reading all the poor reviews of your service. My complaint is that I can't even sign up! Won't accept my email address! Guess I'm lucky, after reading the reviews, lol!

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV