Review of Crunchyroll

Tel: +1-415-796-3561
feedback@crunchyroll.com

norahf1
11/2/18

The site is pretty okay, it has everything I need from an anime streaming service, sometimes it lags but it could also be my connection I'm not really sure.

randyb224
10/31/18

If you don't mind paying for a subscription to watch all the anime you want without any ads or worries of downloading episodes in advance to have something to watch while eating dinner then it is just the site for you. Not all the animes have dubs but that is a minor issue for me.

gregoryc118
9/18/18

I was encouraged to use crunchyroll to view the anime I love from anywhere in the world. Maybe once it was ok. Now... it is a nightmare.

Many sites offer a "ad based" or "pay to experience no ads" type of subscription and crunchyroll claims to be one of them.

However, you will soon find that ads are used not occasionally, but incessantly... to force you to subscribe or go insane.

In fact, many of the ads are shown 4 or 5 times in a row. In the case of final fantasy... I just saw EIGHT ads in a row. This not only resulted in an unusually long (and boring!) delay for me, but actually a false charge to the folks who paid for the ad. They may believe the ad is being played to 8 different people when ... instead I saw the SAME ad eight times!!!

The ads only serve one purpose here: to get you to think that if you don't pay for the premium service (that they bait you into accepting even during their registration process!), or suffer the ad bombardment.

I actually almost completed the paid for service once I started going through the crunchyroll.com site because it came up so fast and covered so much of the registration page that _I thought it was the registration for the crunchyroll site_.

I tried coming in through the web site instead of the App and I found even more problems.

The show I had been watching was not listed

There was no obvious search bar although I found it eventually. This lets them easily force you to watch what they are supposed to promote.

And finally once I searched for and found the show I wanted to watch... They showed a bunch of episodes that happen later without even showing the earlier episodes first even though I hadn't watched them yet. Almost hidden to the right side of the screen in a lightly colored background: "resume watching".

Wow, this is seriously a bad site. I am not at all surprised with the 1 star average although I bet my review will make it even more clear to you WHY everyone gives this one star.

josephr308
9/3/18

I'm really disappointed at Crunchyroll for not giving Asian subscribers One Piece or My Hero Acadamia which is kinda selfish so I cancelled my trial because of this.

kimberlyp135
8/18/18

I canceled my subscription and deleted my account a while ago and I'm still being billed..I wouldn't make an account with them, specially seeing as I'm not the only one with this problem. If you want to watch Anime there are plenty of free sites to use.
Don't waste your money.

loganr37
7/22/18

I have been a member of crunchyroll for about a year now and I have to say that it is 50/50 going to be good or bad when you get on it. Sometimes I can watch videos without any buffering and sometimes it takes an hour to watch 20 minutes of content. Even after their big server update there are still issues. Crunchyroll is an okay service but I don't think anybody that works there knows what the f*** they are doing.

jaceb6
3/12/18

Dont trust them.. they say cancel anytime once you do their free trial but Ive been trying for a few days now and keeps popping up that I cant cancel at this time.. I bet once I give them money they will let me.

zacl2
2/1/18

The xbox 360 app just doesn't work. It freezes at every other ad break, and far too frequently has the glitch where it only displays a black screen while the audio continues as normal. I've uninstalled, deleted all data, and reinstalled, as well as reset my system cache, and in both cases were incredibly temporary. It allowed me to watch a single episode without complete interruption.

It's a great app if you want to spend 2 hours watching a single 20 minute episode.

Tip for consumers: Use it on the computer or possibly mobile only. any apps are doomed to fail, if my experience says anything at all.

colino9
1/25/18

it always said wait for validation when you try to cancel it

been waiting for 2 days and still does it

HUGE SCAM

markof6
12/30/17

dont even let you cancel your membership and wont allow you to delete your card details then you need to go and contact customer service and wait for them to help you how stupid.

johannesh16
10/25/17

Infinite loops of adds prevents you from watching at times. Guess ill find some other sites to stream animes.

ms472
10/12/17

I've been a member of Crunchroll for a couple of years, and the site has mostly worked. There have been some off and on issues with the streaming, but these have worked out.

I recently set up for the VRV Combo-pack which includes access to Crunchyroll plus other sites like Funimation. The beauty of this is that Funimation has the dubbed anime many are looking for. Sadly, this service is horrible, perhaps worse.
The video keeps stopping and starting and this is maddening. I have the problem across multiple computers, multiple browsers and at two locations which have fast Internet.

I sent an E-mail to support and they returned with a cryptic message about going into my computer and changing the DNS (Domain Name Server) settings. I shouldn't have to change my site setup to make this work. Clearly, their servers or routing cannot keep up with the streaming content. I then inquired about how to drop the resolution down, so that the content streams clean. No can do. I just keep getting the same "change the DNS" answer, which I'm not even sure will do anything.

I tried calling Crunchroll (aka their corporate name Ellation) at their West Coast office at 415-796-3560. There are a number of different options when the call picks up, but I have never reached a live person - just a message to send an E-mail (which I tried and didn't get satisfaction).

A company which has product delivery issues, useless E-mail support and ZERO phone support is questionable at best. The company seems to be able to be a major presence at Conventions, but they should worry first about their paid service in that is should work - all the time.

Tip for consumers: Crunchyroll OK, but is mostly subtitled content.
VRV is horrible.

cassandram28
8/30/17

(The 4 stars are solely for the customer service aspect because I did not use the site/app very much at all): My friend told me about this site so I downloaded the app and registered. I ended up not using it except a quick browse and watched one episode. Two months later and I check my card and there's no money on it when I was sure there was SOMETHING on there. Checked my statement and saw I had been charged a fee both months... I was SURE I didn't get premium and didn't even remember putting in my credit card info. Furious, I tried calling but they don't have any customer service over the phone. I emailed them, explained, and within a couple hours I got an email with an apology, a cancellation and a refund (3-5 business days away). I really appreciated a quick, apologetic response and them fixing the mistake. It really made me respect them. Not sure about all the people saying they can't cancel it or got no response... From my experience I would say they just aren't trying very hard. It only took an e-mail and an hour or two for a response and for them to fix the problem. Sneaky charging but EXCELLENT customer service. Thank you again, Yuto from CrunchyRoll.

Update: I received my refund the next morning. This is some of the best customer service I have ever seen. Again, I'm not sure why many other people are "not able to reach anyone" or "not able to cancel their account." My situation was resolved completely within 24 hours. That's unheard of.

neoh5
7/10/17

Crunchyroll is an amazing site. The only downside to it is that it doesn't have dubs for a majority of anime, which isn't a big problem anyways. There are a bunch of reviews on this site saying how "you can't cancel a subscription" which is false. This is just a bunch of haters and competitors of the site trying to get people not to buy from Crunchyroll and rather to buy from their site. One I saw was "Unethical site run from a guy in his mother's basement". Of course, if you did 5 minutes of research, you would realize that Crunchyroll has millions of people using it as well as lots of professionals running and funding the site. Don't listen to the people on this site, most of them are bull$#*!. Crunchyroll is a 100% reliable site and I've had no problems with the year and a half I've been using it.

mwami
6/15/17

Do NOT pay for a membership here! They will put you on autopsy even after it ends. Customer service seems like the site owner's family and is very slow.

CrunchyRoll started out charging people for subtitled animation that had NO licenses in the US and that had been subtitled BY FREE by fans and that could be found for free elsewhere. Crunchyroll had absolutely no business profiting for this.

Crunchyroll is a great service IN THEORY but in practice stick to YouTube, NetFlix or watch for free and mute the commercials.

rachaelc17
6/10/17

I cancelled my account over a year ago. I am STILL being charged periodically. Nothing they "done" has had any effect on this reductions, and I am going to need to CANCEL my credit card to stop the charges.

chuliane
6/5/17

Crunchyroll is a nice Streaming platform itself, no problems BUT 40% of the Animes i wanna watch are blocked, because of missing licenses.
I mean maybe i dont know enough to discuss about licenses but i pay this site so i can watch Anime and then i cant even watch my favorites?

markh318
6/5/17

So I signed up for their free trial but couldn't watch anything anyway because of my slow internet connection and their videos not buffering much.

So, like one might assume, if you're on a free trial, you get some kind of request to go premium or stop. Not with Crunchyroll though, they just assume that you want premium service.

An assumption that has forever tarnished their name with me - I might have returned to their site later on when I get a better internet service but now I'd rather tell everyone I can to avoid them at all costs.

I've opened a dispute at PayPal for Crunchyroll's actions. Stay away from Crunchyroll at all costs and never give them your payment information, even if it's for a free trial.

karusunek
4/27/17

I was a CrunchyRoll subscriber for quite some time until a few months ago the video quality on their website took quite the nosedive. They have since then made promises to improve the video quality, but it was quite apparent that the decision was made to save bandwidth. All other subscription services have a better quality stream. Ended up cancelling the service altogether since it really felt like they were trying to do everything they could to make their customers leave. It was only after people actually started to leave that they even attempted to address the issue. Not sure if the video quality has improved since then since I am not subscribed anymore to the service. I get my content through other means (Funimation, Netflix, etc.).

chrisc324
3/17/17

Won't let you cancel your premium membership through their broken website. Customer service is non existent.

donaldf25
3/13/17

I watched the intro and got 30 seconds in bam 4-30second commercial asap then about 5 minutes in another commercial this time i tab over to a new tab it new i wasnt watching the commercial and kept stopping it at the end and replayed it till i stayed on the same page a little pathetic if you ask me no thanks im stopping now before it gets worse your no better then hulu i pay and im still forced to watch commercial really?!?! are you retarted no thank ill be glad to pay netflixs.

kaitlynk5
1/6/17

There is no site like Crunchy Roll. You can watch unlimited anime on all devices, red unlimited manga and get deals on figures and other cool things on their store. Amazing customer service. I've had billing problems and they gave me a free month premium! Even though I had previously had 2 free trials.

zachh12
1/2/17

The anime itself is great. Great selection in my opinion. But the service sucks horribly. I usually have to keep pressing retry over and over again, maybe it'll work, but usually no. It's annoying especially when I'm zoned in on a show and it messes up. Ugh... very disappointed!

sweepe
11/28/16

So I took their 1 month free premium membership offer. They have a few good anime shows. The rest is pretty obscure.

The cancellation process is a joke though. Oh sure there is a cancellation form. You get a confirmation email. But they still keep drawing money! I have mailed their customer service. But I just get canned responses like so many others. I had to cancel my card.

brettp17
8/9/16

They do not have a wide variety of anime as they would have you believe. They certainly do not have barely any of the mainstream anime. 99% of their shows are indie garbage that you can only play in japanese.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer -1

From the main page, Crunchyroll.com, go to "Profile" on the top right of the page, and then click "Settings" from the dropdown menu. On the left-hand side of the page, you'll see the option "Premium Membership Status," and once clicking on that, you should be able to cancel. I found it a bit confusing, because it seems to say you can have access to your premium account until the end of your billing cycle, but it didn't work like that for me -- so keep that in mind.

By J D.
Questions? Get answers from the Crunchyroll staff and other customers.

Crunchyroll?