Review of Zillow

Tel: 1-206-470-7000
press@zillow.com

robeetc
9/20/17

As an appraiser and home sales, I had my property removed. I have a home worth over 250,000 all brick on acreage and they had it at 88,000.00 I had it removed. Its ridicules, you say its not an appraisal , yet you call it one, you provide comps, though not truly comparable, like an appraisal and you put a value on the property. If I did that the owner could sue me for and turn me into the state for not doing a ethical report.

terric56
9/19/17

Stay away from this agent and her partner Peggy Ryan- Lanigan

They will take their commission when they sell you a house but will not protect you when something goes wrong. My husband and I purchased a home from them , using them as our agents. Our new home floods in the back yard and the water goes into your home. They told us it was our problem that the previous owners did not disclose this, They both said go hire an real-estate attorney and go sue previous owner. THEY TOOK THEIR COMMISSION OF $15,000 AND SAID TO GO AWAY!!

paula1187
9/10/17

I just wanted to view the property details, and I get a popup that says "sign in or register" to view details. Are you joking? Won't be using Zillow anymore.

craigk31
8/30/17

Maybe it's my Droid, but 2/3 of my screen is an area map. If I want to see the info on an address, I want it full screen. Why can I hide the home's details but not the map?

beverlyc66
8/28/17

Nella who works as an agent for Remax is one of the best out there today. She has over 27 years of experience and it is very apparent in how she handles her business. She is also professional and trustworthy. Those are excellent qualities for a real estate agent to have. We recommend her highly to anyone searching for a home in the Middlesex area of NJ.

michaels676
8/27/17

Zestimate is the biggest mess and they can't fix it. It can be way off, by over 100 grand, and they have one excuse after another. I have a professional appraisal to prove it. Zillow is very unreliable and their data can't be trusted. Customer service ignores customers. They don't help For Sale by Owners and can cost the owner several thousands of dollars by misleading buyers. Their system gives priority by sending contact information about real estate agents instead of the owner. I have had buyers tell me they were mislead. Beware of this system it can cost buyers and sellers thousands of dollars. I wish there was an option to give them less than a 1 rating.

trudyn3
8/17/17

I had pictures of my house they call to verify my ad then took the pictures off. cannot take more not at address for a wild.

benjaming26
8/17/17

Zillow is an awful real estate for many reasons

1. They offer a Zestimate (their estimate of a property's value). In my case I received monthly emailed Zestimates for almost two years. During that time my property's value increased from $297K to $330K. Then last month the Zestimate decreased by $30K for no apparent reason. Looking at the historical value it also decreased, which does not make sense. They essentially rewrote history for no reason. The only factor that can influence the Zestimate are features of the property changing on the website, which only I the home owner can make (and I did not make any).

2. Customer service

- In response to the above issue I contacted their support group. Multiple times I tried to express my questions regarding a 10% drop overnight and a rewrite of the historical value with no supporting evidence. Each time I received the boiler plate carbon copy response on how Zestimate's are created.

- I listed my property under "Make Me Move". In doing so without my knowledge all my photos were automatically deleted. I requested to get them back only to be told that first about how Make Me Move works...completely ignoring my question. I followed up only to be told that my photos were deleted and could not be retrieved. Wtf.

madisond14
8/9/17

Their 'zestimates' are so inaccurate it is almost laughable. They valued the home next door to me at $185k. It's been stripped to the bones. no walls, plumbing, wiring, etc. Someone even stole the /ac unit. At the same time, they valued my home at $184k. FYI, my home does have walls. I wouldn't trust ANY of their so called 'home values'.

prentism
8/9/17

I just looked up my house. I have no vinyl floors yet zillow said I did. I have hardwoods and stone tile downstairs. There is carpet and stone tile upstairs. There was no vinyl when I bought the house ten years ago. Talk about not updating their info! The picture of the outside isn't even updated. I can't imagine how this will help buyers or sellers. I personally wouldn't waste my time with zillow.

krisd30
8/2/17

Zillow SUCKS-search your property-it will make you laugh at how wrong the information is. At the same time, DONT update any info. Don't give the satisfaction to their "bs" sight. I would use Zillow to look at homes for sale in the area, down south, near my sister, etc. Never thought to look up my own property. When I did... HAHA-nothing was accurate! I mean NOTHING! Then searched mores homes that I know and it got even worse. Zillow needs to be shut down. The website is hurting both the buyer and the seller. Not cool Zillow. Just another way to make a buck without consideration of the parties involved. Spread the word.

chrisb397
7/29/17

Zillow zestimates should not be lookef at when buying or selling. I've seen the zaestimate for a home decline by more than $130k in a 30 day period!!! When contacting them they claim this was due to a change in the methodology they use to come up with zestimates!! not only is it irresponsible to allow such unreasonable volatility but they don't even take care to come even close to the true estimated value of a home. It is mind boggling to me why anyone would take this company seriously! There should be a zero rating allowed.

shannonb86
7/25/17

Is there a NEGATIVE STAR option for Zillow? I am very upset with Zillow's continued misinformation on the website for the general public to view. Due to this, I lost a buying client who fired me because "I did not inform him the property was almost in foreclosure". THE PROPERTY IS NOT EVEN NEAR FORECLOSURE!!!! However, the buyer looked up property on Zillow and was given the prompt to "get more information on this foreclosure". The property had been in foreclosure 7 years ago....BUT NOT NOW!!! Zillow continuously misleads the public with their old data!! STOP IT!!!
Shannon
Professional Realtor

lindab385
7/24/17

Zillow SUCKS the life blood out of the your real estate investment. They told me their Zestimator is on a scale of 1 - 5 (one being the worst area for the Zestimator to appraise), happens that my home is in an area 1 and they just slashed 50% of my home value overnight. Where the hell is the law in this country of ours???? Is there any law left to protect people? I will never buy a home again as long as I live.

So Zillow, have you gotten rich enough making the rest of us poor? Maybe now you can take your filthy stinky money and buy and Island somewhere and take down the site that destroyed the AMERICAN dream and turned it into the American NIGHTMARE?

No not yet? OK maybe prison sounds better than spending the money you earned destroying the Real Estate Market? Keep at it, you will be taken down!

hb52
7/24/17

I hate that they will not set up their search engine to be more specific. I have very specific criteria for the next house but zillow.com like realtor.com and all the others will not narrow down sufficiently. If I plug in 2+ bedrooms because I have no intention of even looking at any more than a 3 bedroom home and all they show me is 5 bedrooms, 6 bedrooms then I am done. Those sites all need to be redesigned 100%, photos need to be MUCH better, and information about realtors more complete.

janb97
7/24/17

I don't think their rating site is helpful. I wanted to publish a warning about castlerock reo, which by the way castlerock raves about their Illow reviews, but they would not let me because castlerock was the seller and not my agent. This is concerning because castlerock is not anyone's agent, they are a foreclosure seller that process a risk filled contract to the buyer and works without buyer representation. Very risky and should be called out. Is zillow biased? Can they be trusted? How many negative castlerock reviews have they rejected? We can't be sure.

greggm26
7/23/17

Pathetic. They currently have our house showing it has a pool which it does not and they are showing it last sold for $87,000.00 in 2013 with a current asking price of $157,000.00. We have owned the house since 1987 and we paid it off In 2013 with a pay off in the low $40's. Zillow is one big joke, this makes it look like we are flipping a house and making a 90% profit. When in fact we have lived in it for 30 years. If you are looking at homes with the idea of purchasing one of Zillow's listings be aware that their information is just not accurate. Contact the agent for accurate information.

jt129
7/21/17

0 stars. takes months to update new information, if at all. consumers are mislead with out of date information. Zillow is trying to steal the consumers from the trusted, accurate mls's. it's how theyre making their money. Lets shut down overzealous zillow, who dont know the real estate market and steals the info from our mls, and put our money back to the trusted mls who works hard to keep clients, and participants well informed daily

loannec
7/20/17

I wrote a letter to Zillow "consumer advocate" to ask why our house went down $ 61,000 in one day after I reported a home improvement we made. Their response was the standard "algorithm" excuse without explanation why our house went down instead of up. I am publishing my letter here to show how unreliable their Zestimates are as well as their forecasts and to show that they do not even know the difference between addition and subtraction.

Dear Leslie B.,

7/22/17

We request an explanation how our Zestimate decreased almost $ 61,000.00 in just one month after we made home improvements! Almost every time I claim the house and update the info, showing improvements we have made, the Zestimate went down instead of up. I believe that if I had not reported our home improvements, our Zestimate would have gone up like our neighbors .

Another  faulty thing about your website  is that your Zestimates claims "Your Zestimate has increased!"  but then knocks it down to a lower number. This happened on 11/3/16, 3/17/17  and 6/20/17.   Does your algorithm even know the simple difference between substractions vs additions?!

Yet another faulty thing is your forecast. On 9/20/16 your forecast for our Zestimate in one year was $ 653,440. Now, nine months later,  you knocked down the price in one month by almost $ 61,000 so that the present Zestimate is $ 553,534. In other words, your projected forecast is off by almost $ 100,000.00!! We have lost all faith and respect in your website.

I have been following our Zestimates  for almost one year now because we originally intended to sell through your website.  These are the Zestimates you gave:

9/20/16    $   632,015   PROJECTED FORECAST IN ONE YEAR $  653,440
3/17/17    $    619, 849   CLAIMS IT WENT UP $ 714  IN LAST 30 DAYS
4/24/17    $ 618, 376
6/20/17    $  614.323    CLAIMS IT WENT UP $ 8936  IN LAST 30 DAYS
7/19/17     $ 553,534

I request that you restore the Zestimate of our house to last months of $ 614, 323.  Besides the two lawsuits that are currently pending against Zillow, various internet websites where angry customers report their negative experiences can be very damaging .

LC

jena80
7/20/17

I have had three children attend Mission Montessori, but sadly I have had to remove all of them from the school. If it wasn't for the teachers in the Pre K classrooms - we would have never stayed as long as we did. They are warm, caring and have great hearts. However, the administration and the policies at this school is where this school has lost our family.

This last year we had to abruptly withdraw our 2 children because Mission was not adhering to a high enough standard. The classroom has become overcrowded and this has left a huge strain on the staff. One day 2 assistants were sick (there are no substitutes) and this left one overwhelmed teacher to to teach many 3,4 and 5 yr olds! Playground time is often taken away for the ENTIRE class if the are to many disruptions. Why should my 3 year old miss out on play time because somebody else is not following the rules? That is absurd. There are so many kids in the room unsupervised that kids frequently use the restroom with the door open, which is unacceptable. Also, during lunch the kids cannot speak during the entire lunch period. I could go on and on, but the final straw came when my 4 year old son came home with his Curious George shirt turned inside out without even the courtesy of an explanation. To us this is unacceptable. No adult should be allowed to remove the clothing of a child for any reason beyond a potty accident.

We prepaid our tuition and were denied a refund for the remainder of the school year, citing a 30 day notice that we did not give.
It has been clear to us that this schools number one priority is making money. Adding more and more students to an exhausted teaching staff They are very adept at turning a deaf ear to the concerns of parents.

Let me repeat, the Pre-K teachers and assistants were terrific, but your kids will get lost in the classroom. Once we transferred to a different school with more appropriate class numbers, it was like we had brand new kids that could not wait to go to school in the morning! We received frequent updates through email about their day and even had a chance to chat with the teachers after school! What a difference. Mission Montessori had a good thing going, but the desire to cash in has led to a huge decline in their campus.

williamm318
7/20/17

Wrote a review and found out Zillow coordinate's their response with the reviewed agent/company - Censorship

jamesm676
7/13/17

Erroneous and non-factual valuations. My home just dropped 30k in the last 60 days (12%). Their Zestimate history now has changed and shows the current Zestimate as the highest in 5 years. Previous Zestimates from as recent as 2 days ago which was 9k higher (yes, I dropped 9k in 2 days) is not shown on the graph. They are a total joke and should be put out of business. Harmful in many ways to the buying public. Banks do not recognize Zestimates as credible for loan purposes. This company needs sued big time!

shellys51
7/13/17

I don't even know where to begin. Non existent consumer support. My pictures magically disappeared about 3 weeks ago - therefore, no one is viewing my home. I have sent 3 extremely kind emails asking for help. To no avail. They have not responded. When you call the zillow "customer service" line you can't speak to someone unless you are a realtor as they are "paying" for zillow. For sale by owner leave message, which is probably an un monitored mailbox. Yep, you guessed it! No one has returned my call.

Also, zestimates are not even close to being accurate.

dorin30
7/11/17

I have tried to post my home on "make me move" it states that there is a 72 hour "verification" period. It is now one week later and still home is NOT posted!!! Called several times and the cust. service rep stated that it is still being verified. Give me a break!!! I am going to the competitors and listing my home with them!!! Zillow you suck!!! AND I would give no stars but have to put something.

rosannef3
7/11/17

First I listed my parents home in Chicago and the Zillow estimate or crazed "zestimate" was off by $100k. Zillow refused to change the price even with a formal appraisal. I had to contact the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, via Facebook to escalate the issue. He "explained" that it was just an "estimate" and nobody took it seriously. Really? Zillow should not have any right to price your home and the fact that this impacts the sale should cost THEM money!

Secondly, I listed my rental home; again, I had nothing but problems from day one. If you are a rental apartment you listing perpetually says "just updated" but for the rest of us, the clock ticks and days are shown. If you remove your listing, you cannot reset the clock; if you make a significant improvement to your property, there's no place to note it. There is no place to put an open house either; apparently they only want RE agents and apartment complexes to do business on their site, not FRBO or FSBO.

I am SO frustrated with ZIllow I wish there were a class action suit in which I could take part, Mr. Spencer Rascoff, CEO of Zillow. I hope you are out there listening for I'd rate your company a negative one.

190 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Almost every real estate search site is driven by MLS listing information and if you don't list, chances are very good that sites will have different and often conflicting info. Zillow allows one to claim a Zillow listing and put up your own details and photos, but you really need to have every site accurate. Our solution was to list through zerotolist.com, which charges buyers a small fee that we are offering to pay. This instantly cleared up all our internet listing inconsistencies. That being said, the majority of our showings have come from small signs at intersections within a mile of our house, and flyers we distributed to 35 businesses in our area.

By Steve G. on 7/16/15
Helpful answer

Yes you can. We did this at the top of the description and on the photos. We made it clear that we were on our own and to contact us. We did get calls finally after doing this. Good luck all you FSBO sellers out there. I hope it pays off for all of you.

By cindy b. on 6/3/15
Helpful answer

Unfortunately they still show up in BING. So ZIllow is really slow to make full updates all over the net.

By Rosanne F. on 7/25/15
Helpful answer

I used Postlets to rent our house but it did not go through Zillow. Our house was for sale at the same time. I had a hard time taking it down from the rental sites after we sold the house. We received calls for about 1 year after the house sold and even while we had it rented. I had to work at each site to find where it got posted. It was hard work to get it delisted as a rental.

By l s. on 8/31/15
Helpful answer

I certainly feel for you. The exact same thing happened to us. We decided to put our own information and number on every single photo and in the description. We started to get some calls from buyers instead of Realtors. I hope this helps and the best of luck with your sale.

By cindy b. on 6/4/15

Good luck!

By Mary M. on 1/6/16
Helpful answer

You could remove your listing by following the instructions you find on the Zillow website.

By Angela C. on 10/28/15
Helpful answer

As far as I know you can't. I had my home appraised at 375k, but the Zillow estimate is 271k. If you check sale prices vs Zillow estimates they are most often WAY OFF. Appraisers are also scamming home owners, as they are mostly incompetent.

By georgie p. on 10/28/15
Helpful answer

I have no idea. I know that you pay them. I am against it completely since I listed a home on my own. It isnt fair to the seller at all. It confuses the buyer . I have had non stop calls from realtors as well as text messages ...emails ...and mailings. They want to list it when we already did all the work. They get upset that i am selling my own property on my own. It is my right and my property. We had no ide that agents would be listed on our own FSBO listing when we first did this.' They make it look like the agents are involved in my listing since the agent contact info. Is listed before ours We never planned to work with a realtor. We are now more turned off than ever. Many potential buyers call them first since zillow is misleading and the realtors discourage them from our listing. I had my sister contact a few and they lied about it and said it was off the market since when they tried to bully me into working with them. I said no. I sell houses on my own. I do the renovations...the marketing...the staging . I sell them. Its desperate that they have to gang up on sellers who are minding their own business. Its a real estate mafia and its desperate of zillow and the agents.

By cindy b. on 9/9/15
Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Zillow staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Zillow