Review of Zillow

Tel: 1-206-470-7000
press@zillow.com

susans241
7/15/19

It is virtually impossible to get Zillow to respond to or help on the site. I am a landlord and have used Zillow for a few years. Whenever I have an issue, they are impossible to contact. I have sent emails as they require and never hear back. I strongly suggest that landlords find an alternate site for listings.

colleenb147
7/12/19

I've been on Zillow for 10 years, have used it (cautiously, and verify comps) for work and for my real estate investments personally. I decided to start researching for my own home about 4 months ago, considering a sale. The day I decided to do so, I posted photos. when I did this, the "algorithm" plunged my value by over 10%, or $60K overnight. That was 3 weeks ago,many email and phone calls (no human ever answers). Email responses say things like, "the zestimate is not a replacement for comparable sales, only a start - however, when you go to the site, they tout "Zillow Zestimates are a good start for prospective buyers, and that "accurate information helps attract interest"

There are two values on the user profile, one cannot be seen by the public (typically) that is the appreciation value. A straight line increase based on appreciation from the purchase price. This value is not used on the MARKET Value, profile (but carries some weight in the calculation they tell me) However, my home - no other on my street - is taking ONLY the appreciation value, which is significantly low, as I bought on an OPTION. My purchase Price was negotiated a year before I closed, when the house appraised at purchase close, it was $65K more than purchase price. Market on my home, conservatively is between $610K and $630K Zillow Zesitmate shows $555K.

So, I list it as a "Make me move" - this is the Zillow "note":

"The list price and Zestimate for this home are very different, so we might be missing something" -

When I wrote to them, to tell them what they were missing, they told me it could take 8 weeks for my zestimate to catch up to market again since the photo add, edit facts must have messed with my algorithm. Nothing they can do.

Can I remove my house altogether? No.

So, essentially, I am FORCED to have my house, my INVESTMENT, reflecting a FALSE value to the public.

I see attorneys in my future.

zorroj
7/9/19

You can trust ANY information posted in Zillow a Total Junk Site with ZERO Integrity !!

You see prices listed that in reality are double !!!!!!!

claired85
7/9/19

I was going to sell my house to Zillow and they sent me a reasonable (although $10k lower than their own "zestimate" of worth) offer. I had an inspection and received my updated final offer.. they tried to say that they wanted to take $15k off for damages that don't even exist!! On of the almost 30 supposedly needed fixes is replacing our kitchen tile floors which were replaced last year and are in perfect condition! They also listed the pool pump as needing replacement and that was replaced with a brand new unit less than a month ago! They just add on anything they can think of and say that it needs to be replaced to drop your final offer and they no doubt wouldn't be doing any of that work since all that stuff was new anyway! Just a way to try to scam people out of the value of their house so they can make extra flipping it. So scummy. They say that the $25k in selling fees covers some damages and cleaning but everything was listed down to changing screens as an extra cost. Honestly livid!

shouvikm1
7/1/19

never ask fro zillow cash price offer, i have tried and they gave 20% less that their own zistimate and when i refused they brought my zestimate 20 to 405 down in once case it was 378K and changes it to 338K and another one was approx 400K and got it down to 78 K . not reliable.

georgep290
6/30/19

Terrible customer service, nobody answers phone except for revenue issues. Owners and realtors have issues with inaccurate property information. They do not correct erroneous listings in reasonable time frame. The zestimate is misleading and only licensed property appraisers should be able to make this determination whereas their logarithmic formulas are not accurate and in many cases harm property owners and purchasers. They are political and use this to injure people who do not share their views. Feds need to break them up now.

tedb138
6/21/19

These idiots could not even determine the value of our home. Why would anyone deal with a company that is clueless about real estate.

parkerb31
6/20/19

As a real estate marketplace, zillow has muscled itself into the consumers' "must-have" wishlist when it comes to buying or selling real estate.
Why is not completely clear to me as pro, as major issues plague the site:
1. inaccurate pricing - the stats are scary
2. inaccurate property details
3. the worst: ZERO response rate from customer service, to consumer and professional inquiries alike.
4. Lead generation methods make the inquiry form next to a property NOT go to the listing agent but a totally different "premier" paying agent. Worse: the "Call" button on zillows mobile app or page does not lead to the FSBO seller or listing agent, but again to a paying "premier" agent.
All this, folks, is to benefit only Zillow. And Realtors as well as consumers agree to it, every day. Baffling.

davidk797
6/20/19

Submitted offer and earnest money on home (that was listed at market ie no discounted rate for any issues). Hired certified home inspector. He flagged that the foundation piers were a hazard and danger. Footing not filled with concrete, shims put in with added supports, supports used that would rust (direct contact w dirt) and...some at more than a 25% angle. He told us to run from it unless we wanted to sink (no pun intended) 20-30K into it...and we did...Zillow of course retaining the earnest. Mold was found as well.

colbym25
6/14/19

The answer is a very clear NO!!! I signed up to be a Zillow Premier agent because of the continuous harassment of their sales guys . The calls just never stopped and eventually knowing I need more leads to provide to my agents I agreed to more than $2,000 a month. I made it very clear that I would not be the one fielding the calls and that they were to be routed to the agents on my team. Everything seemed great until they got my money and me to sign a contract. After that, no one cared anymore. It took them over two weeks to get my calls routed to my buyers agents. I had two weeks of missed opportunities because they didn't set things up right and they won't reimburse me for more than a half month of wasted leads. Again, I only signed up to provide more leads to my agents. I sell over 25 homes a year myself and 90% of those deals are online leads that I produce. I signed on with Zillow because I needed more leads for my the two new buyers agents, I couldn't handle anymore for myself. Zillow completely disappointed and they even admit to their mistake but wont compensate for it. Do not sign up with Zillow, they will take your money with zero accountability. They also compete against you in many ways. 1. They did not disclose that they actually cherry pick the best leads and buy or list those homes instead of giving the listings to their paying clients. 2. They leave under contract and sold properties on their website to generate more calls so that they can sell more zip code share to your direct competitors. They will tell you that your the last agent they can have in that zip code just so you sign up and months into your contract they will add 10 more agents reducing your leads significantly. Very deceptive!!! Trust me when i tell you this, I sell 90% of my homes from online leads and have been since 2005. Do not give Zillow any money, you will regret it!!

dawne122
6/13/19

To alleviate stress of moving and all the process steps; definitely contact Realtor Frank Ritucci. Through Zillow, Frank is enthusiastic, informative, and works with you from start to end with your purchasing process. Thanks Frank !!

steved365
6/1/19

Zillow is a sham. Worthless as a real estate service. I've tried to use them for 3-4 months and its been a waste of time.

alejandrof21
5/31/19

There is a new listing, a single family house mostly updated, freshly painted, and new appliances but still shows the previous photos at the time tenants lived at the property.
Those zestimate are terrible, far from reality.
So far I couldn't find anybody from Zillow to correct it.

maryb1076
5/30/19

We had a house for sale on Zillow and in one day the Zestimate on our lake home dropped by more than $200,000. Our inquiries for details were met with generic responses with no way to talk to a live person. The number of saves and calls we got on the house also dropped. Zillow's lack of concern and unwillingness to help cost us potential sales. We took the house off Zillow's website and won't use them again.

mariag390
5/29/19

Its the best real state website if you used to buy or not a property, either way is a great tool, well done and very fast.
I don't understand the people that dont like it, they dont because they bought a property expensive? if they don't know how to use a real state website, go get a realtor and pay full fees.
anyway, is a very good tool for everyone.

kellyc386
5/27/19

I type in single family homes and you are still showing me $#*!hole rentals and apartments. I have time to look but if I narrow the search I shouldn't have to. Simply put, you suck.

israelv6
5/24/19

Tried to list our home. Instead got multiple calls and even had someone come out to buy our house for over 100k less than what its worth. Waste of time. They pretend to be helpful but in reality they are out to make money for themselves and RIP people off.

timmothym1
5/17/19

Let me just say for the record. I am a THREE TIME LOSER. I am writing this in hopes that you will not lose once.

I used this company several years ago. I got almost nothing of value out of it. As memory serves not one sale. I discontinued but went back to them in 2017 after closing a huge sale. This time I made one sale which basically allowed me to break even. And then this year--like an idiot... I went back for 700.00 month. This time they put me in a zip code I was not comfortable with but like an IDIOT I trusted them. I DID NOT GET ONE LEAD IN TWO MONTHS. They keep saying you have to give it a chance. How many cars do you have to get hit with or how many times must you smash your finger with a hammer to determine its not the highest and best use of your time?

These people are con artist. Its not that deep. I am ashamed that I did not know better--but now you know better. Beware. Pick up the phone, pay for post cards, get a part timer to call but dont flush it down the zillo toilet stool.

danew16
5/4/19

I believe Zillow is committing fraud since litteraly days after I turned down their crazy offer to purchase my home, they lowered their estimated value of my home approx. $23,000. The market in my city is going up if anything currently so there is no way this is accurate.

Tip for consumers: All I can tell you is their estimated are obviously inaccurate. Call a realtor

trevorc72
4/29/19

This review is to be as factual and impartial as possible; I am writing it 2 weeks after the fact so that I am calm about the information and my options I state. I recently had Zillow make an offer on my house without a Realtor to represent me. Below is listed the numbers they provided.

Paint the exterior of the house to cover all

discolorations caused from age and exposed

elements.

Sand and paint or stain cabinets in the kitchen to

cover any scratches and make them appear as new.

Whole house touch up of any dents or holes in the

drywall and match the texture to the current texture of drywall

Room by room paint touch ups of any faded,

scratched or chipped paint, best matching the current

color.

Paint $135 per 5 gallon, 5 Gallons covers 2000sqft. Repaint Interior and Exterior 50 Gallons. Over Estimate. Total $1350 x3 to include labor cost. $4050

Remove and replace front door with fiberglass

standard. Replace damaged service door with new

door, weather stripping and casting at bonus room.

Replace damaged French doors in the bonus room.

French Door to replace old door. $642 x3 to include labor $1926

Replace Front door $961. X3 for labor $2883

Purchase, deliver and install new dishwasher and

microwave.

Dishwasher. $399.00 x3 for install labor $1200

Microwave. $249 x3 for labor $750

Estimated cost to do repairs without hiring someone. $3600 (all items found on Lowes)

Estimate cost to do repairs with hiring someone. $10000 (Contractor Cost is an estimate)

Zillow's estimate. $28078

All Items listed on the repair sheet are classified as upgrades in the Real Estate field.

Outside of these items Zillow did no breakdown the cost for me as they stated they would in phone conversations. The only cost breakdown I got was in reference to overall cost.

Initial offer was $274999, which is a good price and fair value.

Initial Estimate of all cost was $24199. This included all closing costs, fees, and an estimated repair cost. Comes out to about 9%. Average Realtors in my area costs cover about 8% so very competitive.

After their home inspection the new offer that came back was still $274999 with the following fees added.

$18425 for Service

$28078 for Seller Concession ("repairs")

$2596 for Closing Cost

I would walk away with $225900, I bought the house for $236000. I would walk away negative $9000 after my house value went up $40000.

After receiving all the information, Heather Barrera was rude once I told them how absurd their offer was. Additionally, they sent over 2 documents after I told them I was not interested in selling to them for their end price. The first was the overall sell of the house for my review if I wished to change my mind. The second document they sent was a document for me to agree to use them as my Realtor, this was not explained to me by them in any way or was I warned this document coming. My Realtor read all the documents Zillow sent me and informed me of what each document was. I have copies of all the documents, and I am more than willing to share them to those that ask. (email pirot1012000@yahoo.com)

Overall unless your house is perfect and you owe nothing on it, I highly recommend you take the time and use a licensed Realtor in your area to sell your home and get a fair and full value of it. If you are in a rush and money is not an issue feel free to use this system.

christopherk191
4/27/19

As an agent in Vancouver, WA I made a video of my listing and tried posting it 3 times but the video would not post. The instructions seemed simple and the process looked easy but no video. So I called for help and got a disgruntled person who promised they would post for me, but no video. I emailed them and never got a reply. This happened 3 times.

I get the poor attitude and the bothered tone from the Zillow rep with each of my 3 calls. They deal with this daily. They know it will not work but they must say the same lies, "We will load this for you". When I email them that the video is still not loaded I get no replies.

bertap1
4/22/19

Not good! The appraisal of my property was very low compared to realtor.com and trulia.com. and my professional appraisal. It was affecting the sale of my property!

maryc870
4/20/19

There are lots of positive and negative feedbacks. I'd prefer to say it could be better. My experience was short and did not finish with a deal.

gingerw23
4/18/19

Zillow's estimate for the value of my home and property was grossly undervalued at only 59% of the asking price. They apparently didn't even consider the value of the 20 acres and all of the amenities on the property including a barn, equipment shed, three storage buildings, 600 ft. of blacktop road leading to the house, pond, and $20,000 worth of property fencing. Zillow has no right to inacurately zestimate the value of property.

micj
4/9/19

I'm an agent who has tried several times to contact "No" customer service!! They don't respond and just ignore your requests but constantly want your money!! How are they even still in business!!! Negative stars deserved!!

190 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Almost every real estate search site is driven by MLS listing information and if you don't list, chances are very good that sites will have different and often conflicting info. Zillow allows one to claim a Zillow listing and put up your own details and photos, but you really need to have every site accurate. Our solution was to list through zerotolist.com, which charges buyers a small fee that we are offering to pay. This instantly cleared up all our internet listing inconsistencies. That being said, the majority of our showings have come from small signs at intersections within a mile of our house, and flyers we distributed to 35 businesses in our area.

By Steve G.

Yes you can. We did this at the top of the description and on the photos. We made it clear that we were on our own and to contact us. We did get calls finally after doing this. Good luck all you FSBO sellers out there. I hope it pays off for all of you.

By cindy b.

Unfortunately they still show up in BING. So ZIllow is really slow to make full updates all over the net.

By Rosanne F.

I used Postlets to rent our house but it did not go through Zillow. Our house was for sale at the same time. I had a hard time taking it down from the rental sites after we sold the house. We received calls for about 1 year after the house sold and even while we had it rented. I had to work at each site to find where it got posted. It was hard work to get it delisted as a rental.

By l s.

I certainly feel for you. The exact same thing happened to us. We decided to put our own information and number on every single photo and in the description. We started to get some calls from buyers instead of Realtors. I hope this helps and the best of luck with your sale.

By cindy b.

They actually don't due anything for the sellers!

By Berta P.

Good luck!

By Mary M.

You could remove your listing by following the instructions you find on the Zillow website.

By Angela C.

As far as I know you can't. I had my home appraised at 375k, but the Zillow estimate is 271k. If you check sale prices vs Zillow estimates they are most often WAY OFF. Appraisers are also scamming home owners, as they are mostly incompetent.

By georgie p.

I have no idea. I know that you pay them. I am against it completely since I listed a home on my own. It isnt fair to the seller at all. It confuses the buyer . I have had non stop calls from realtors as well as text messages ...emails ...and mailings. They want to list it when we already did all the work. They get upset that i am selling my own property on my own. It is my right and my property. We had no ide that agents would be listed on our own FSBO listing when we first did this.' They make it look like the agents are involved in my listing since the agent contact info. Is listed before ours We never planned to work with a realtor. We are now more turned off than ever. Many potential buyers call them first since zillow is misleading and the realtors discourage them from our listing. I had my sister contact a few and they lied about it and said it was off the market since when they tried to bully me into working with them. I said no. I sell houses on my own. I do the renovations...the marketing...the staging . I sell them. Its desperate that they have to gang up on sellers who are minding their own business. Its a real estate mafia and its desperate of zillow and the agents.

By cindy b.
Questions? Get answers from the Zillow staff and other customers.

13 Photos for Zillow