Review of Zillow

Tel: 1-206-470-7000
press@zillow.com

rms3
2/12/18

All of the real estate referrals for rentals, Vacation homes, and furnished apartments are extraordinarily expensive for what you get. in almost all cases tenants pay between six and 18% premium plus a 2 1/2% deduction for Credit card payments after the property owner pays $400 to advertise on their site. Zillow is the last of the free sites that operates just like a classified advertisement. So save yourself 10% on every vacation booking I'm getting contact with the owners directly via Zillow

richardb406
2/11/18

i am looking for a retirement home on the water. Zillow list properties in the middle of a cornfield that are NO WHERE NEAR WATER! Let alone ON the the water!! makes you realize all there other filters are BS too, included lot size!!

deang39
1/29/18

This complaint is a caution for both buyers and sellers. Zillow's site is comparing my home for sale to a land-only parcel, yet they display a photo of a large brand-new home, including pricing, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, and square feet of living space in their "comparable homes in your area." Zillow clearly does not curate their information in any way. Zillow reports to viewers that this non-existent home has 5 bedrooms and 5 baths, with 3532 sq ft. If the user clicks on the link, Zillow repeats all this nonsense on a new page--only in the small text description below this will the reader finally discover that it is fact an empty lot. (It is a few blocks from my house.) Zillow takes the time to point out that my (3 bedroom) house has 2 fewer bedrooms than this phantom house when in fact is has 3 more; Zillow points out that my (2704 sq ft) house has 828 sq ft less than this phantom house when in fact is has 2704 sq ft more, and so on with the number of bathrooms. Not surprisingly, Zillow's non-existent comparable house is over $200,000 less in price than my real house. Most Zillow viewers, never navigating to the small text on the linked page, will think my house is way overpriced. Zillow's un-curated, algorithm-driven website is a disservice to both buyers and sellers. This gross negligence is yet one more instance of the worthlessness of Zillow.

dianab107
1/13/18

Sales guy promised Concierge Service with leads being qualified by whether or not they were working with someone and if they wanted someone to contact them. Also guarantees 10-15 Real leads per month. Charges thousands of dollars per zip code for this Special program and threw in a month free. Not so. You have to pay for that mo th up front and then they would credit you sometime afterward. Oh, and the Leads....my Customer Service Person had no idea what I was talking about.....after several calls and emails they suspended my account and charged $1000.00 for the priceledge of being on their site for 15 days. Dont fall for their salesspeak.

gabrielm73
1/4/18

Just checked my so called Zillow estimate of my house. They have it listed for $174K which in my own eyes is way to low. I had it appraised 6 months ago from an appraiser from Phoenix and the literally appraised it at $179k. I finally decided to try to refinance it one more time from a local appraiser and they came back at $210k . A good advice to take away from this is to get or request a local Appraiser. They know the area better and could give you a better idea. Out of town have to many houses to appraise and will not take their time on your house. I hope this works.

paulp187
12/28/17

Has anyone else noticed how the news says there is a low inventory of homes why sales are down. What about the lies of all the foreclosures that no Realtors are selling. Are the media and realtors that lazy to notice or are the banks hiding something this huge again. Check out Hastings, Mn. Or Fond Du Lac Wi. To see what I mean. I was floored on what I saw. Now my complaint with Zillow is their willingness to promote a horrible platform like Auction.com to sell Bank foreclosures. First they are able to change their inflated values when ever they want. This company doesnt allow any viewing of properties or representation by a real person yes a Realtor. Zillow bad call for your biz.

richl13
12/27/17

I think that 15 years ago, this site was great. They are really outdated and slow to the changing markets. There are other sites that can give you better details and are more user friendly.

donk75
12/3/17

What I get from Zillow is a bunch of pitches from groups who want me to sign up for other RE programs because they know how frustrated people who post properties on Zillow are when they get no results after a year. I listed my property a year ago in the high 20's while other properties in the area were in the mid to upper 30's. I've been reducing the price and am now down to 20K and there is still no interest except RE brokers and websites who want me to engage them believing they can get me better results. Fact is, nobody is buying property because they don't believe in the future in this country, but, it is pretty obvious that the program is more to reinforce the benefit of brokerage than to help the seller. Buyers have trust issues with Zillow and are skeptical, sellers have few options other than newspapers (who buys or reads anymore?) or brokers or websites who offer you a piece of the action for an extremely unearned fee. This is simply an educational site to discourage the seller into submission, I can imagine the frustration of a buyer using this tool Run, before you loose money or value.

newt370
11/15/17

They say nothing is free and that couldn't be more true than being a homeowner and posting a rental ad on Zillow. Once you sign up and become a member you become a lifer meaning they retain your info for life as there is no ending or deleting your membership info. All you can do is change it except for your phone number, changing that is not an option. That will remain in their files for life and as long as you have an active ad with your phone number as the public contact, it will remain open and unprotected from sweepers and bots. As soon as your ad is posted then the out of state calls and e mails begin. Even hiding your e mail address from the public profile does not stop Zillow from sending so called leads to your inbox, all claiming hyped up income levels originating from out of state realtors or fraudsters posing as interested renters. Then you will notice a huge increase in spam. Even if your e mail is hidden it undoubtedly is sold or shared with mailing list collectors where the spamsters and fraudsters skulk around. Zillow owns Trulia and an ad posted to Zillow is automatically posted to Trulia so it's hard to say who the most responsible party is as far as the tons of spam you will receive from third parties but you will be spam bombed after posting your ad. If you actually agree to a showing of your property you will most likely be stood up as I was twice. Then the phone calls will stop completely and you will realize you just gave your private info away forever for nothing in return, to be sold or given to scammers fraudsters and spamsters. You will also notice the zestimate of your home value and rental value steadily decreasing if you refuse to contact their out of state leads/realtors/rental management companies. Its all designed to scare the homeowner into hiring their paid subscribers (realty agents).. Beware and do your homework on how rental fraud scams work. And realize nothing absolutely nothing is free. Read Zillow reviews from homeowners before you post an ad, not like me afterwards when it's too late.

miker295
11/12/17

I have been looking for a retirement home out of state for almost two years. I use trulia and zillow in tandem to verify each other's info. I had mistakenly put my trust in trulia and zillow that they were giving me honest and truthful representation of properties and the communities they list on their sight.
I checked neighborhoods, population, crime rates, and housing prices
we bought a home in Oregon, small town, almost no crime "according to trulia"
moderate climate, after a short time we started talking to the locals and found out that burglary was rampant due to the fact that Oregon has a major Heroin Epidemic that has infested the north west. not only is burglary common but so is armed robbery, assault muggings,murder and car jacking is on the rise. the crime rate here is much worse than in the big cities of Kalifornia when compared with the population. ( our area has the second highest crime rate per capita in Oregon!!!!
the information on trulia and zillow out right lied about theses conditions on their home listings
so we moved from a big city, into a small town with a crime rate that is as bad as any big city getto.
moral to my story: always check your home listings with out side sources, because trulia and zillow lie on their listings.

nataliar17
10/27/17

No home values for most houses in Canton MA 02021. They cannot fix this since June 2017 (now is October). There are only prices assessed in 2014! Emailed to Zillow - no answer. Horrible customer service - no phone connection.

katrinar20
10/19/17

Carrie Taylor a Cressy and Everett agent is very disrespectful and shows unethical behavior. When it comes to Mold in a house be careful she is dishonest and hides the truth and will fight you so you DONT get your earnest money returned when you are totally in the right even with professional proof. She does not respect a contract. I am very disgusted in many ways with a few Brokers and this agent. I will NOT recommend Cressy and Everett to no one.

mpr4
10/13/17

Aside from providing incorrect information on properties, ZILLOW is slow to respond to correcting the misinformation. If you have a home on MLS, double check ZILLOW's site, they lag in updating their site by approximately 2 weeks. Redfin is the premier site when it involves researching "For Sale" properties.I gave Zillow 2 stars only because they make editing your "for rent" listing somewhat easy.

missyw4
10/13/17

I found a house for rent 1603 Harrisburg pike Columbus Ohio on zillow online made a appointment to see house online then called cause they didn't email me to confirm a man called me back a day later and said I didn't have a appointment then said he was showing several people the same property to be there today 10/13/17 at 1:00 . I was alittle over 5 mins early and stayed until 1:10 with no 1 showing up . I called the number who called me and they are closed leave message ..didn't leave message but their business sucks and whoever owns this property I hope you see this .

cynthiam131
10/10/17

My client found a for sale by owner on Zillow they wanted to see. The seller priced his home at what Zillow showed the value to be.....$345,000......It was actually worth $385,000 My clients closed on the property 30days later with $40,000 in equity.
PLEASE DO NOT GO BY ZILLOW VALUES!! SOMETIMES THEY HAVE IT TO LOW SOMETIMES IT IS TO HIGH!!! THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE.

kevinb266
10/3/17

I hope you don't have any account issues, because Zillow will defiantly not contact you back. I have called the customer service number, they never answer and only allow you to leave a message. The help center is the same, you submit an online request and no one responds..... This site sucks!!!!

njk
9/27/17

My home was listed by Zoollow as a suspious listing just because it was a For Sale By Owner, or that is the sorry tale I got from them when I asked why and had to threaten legal action to get it out of them. Certainly helped out the competition near me. Dumps were selling close by and my home got no offers. Be careful using FSBO with this bunch.

robeetc
9/20/17

As an appraiser and home sales, I had my property removed. I have a home worth over 250,000 all brick on acreage and they had it at 88,000.00 I had it removed. Its ridicules, you say its not an appraisal , yet you call it one, you provide comps, though not truly comparable, like an appraisal and you put a value on the property. If I did that the owner could sue me for and turn me into the state for not doing a ethical report.

terric56
9/19/17

Stay away from this agent and her partner Peggy Ryan- Lanigan

They will take their commission when they sell you a house but will not protect you when something goes wrong. My husband and I purchased a home from them , using them as our agents. Our new home floods in the back yard and the water goes into your home. They told us it was our problem that the previous owners did not disclose this, They both said go hire an real-estate attorney and go sue previous owner. THEY TOOK THEIR COMMISSION OF $15,000 AND SAID TO GO AWAY!!

paula1187
9/10/17

I just wanted to view the property details, and I get a popup that says "sign in or register" to view details. Are you joking? Won't be using Zillow anymore.

craigk31
8/30/17

Maybe it's my Droid, but 2/3 of my screen is an area map. If I want to see the info on an address, I want it full screen. Why can I hide the home's details but not the map?

beverlyc66
8/28/17

Nella who works as an agent for Remax is one of the best out there today. She has over 27 years of experience and it is very apparent in how she handles her business. She is also professional and trustworthy. Those are excellent qualities for a real estate agent to have. We recommend her highly to anyone searching for a home in the Middlesex area of NJ.

michaels676
8/27/17

Zestimate is the biggest mess and they can't fix it. It can be way off, by over 100 grand, and they have one excuse after another. I have a professional appraisal to prove it. Zillow is very unreliable and their data can't be trusted. Customer service ignores customers. They don't help For Sale by Owners and can cost the owner several thousands of dollars by misleading buyers. Their system gives priority by sending contact information about real estate agents instead of the owner. I have had buyers tell me they were mislead. Beware of this system it can cost buyers and sellers thousands of dollars. I wish there was an option to give them less than a 1 rating.

trudyn3
8/17/17

I had pictures of my house they call to verify my ad then took the pictures off. cannot take more not at address for a wild.

benjaming26
8/17/17

Zillow is an awful real estate for many reasons

1. They offer a Zestimate (their estimate of a property's value). In my case I received monthly emailed Zestimates for almost two years. During that time my property's value increased from $297K to $330K. Then last month the Zestimate decreased by $30K for no apparent reason. Looking at the historical value it also decreased, which does not make sense. They essentially rewrote history for no reason. The only factor that can influence the Zestimate are features of the property changing on the website, which only I the home owner can make (and I did not make any).

2. Customer service

- In response to the above issue I contacted their support group. Multiple times I tried to express my questions regarding a 10% drop overnight and a rewrite of the historical value with no supporting evidence. Each time I received the boiler plate carbon copy response on how Zestimate's are created.

- I listed my property under "Make Me Move". In doing so without my knowledge all my photos were automatically deleted. I requested to get them back only to be told that first about how Make Me Move works...completely ignoring my question. I followed up only to be told that my photos were deleted and could not be retrieved. Wtf.

190 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Almost every real estate search site is driven by MLS listing information and if you don't list, chances are very good that sites will have different and often conflicting info. Zillow allows one to claim a Zillow listing and put up your own details and photos, but you really need to have every site accurate. Our solution was to list through zerotolist.com, which charges buyers a small fee that we are offering to pay. This instantly cleared up all our internet listing inconsistencies. That being said, the majority of our showings have come from small signs at intersections within a mile of our house, and flyers we distributed to 35 businesses in our area.

By Steve G. [Zillow Rep]

Yes you can. We did this at the top of the description and on the photos. We made it clear that we were on our own and to contact us. We did get calls finally after doing this. Good luck all you FSBO sellers out there. I hope it pays off for all of you.

By cindy b. [Zillow Rep]

Unfortunately they still show up in BING. So ZIllow is really slow to make full updates all over the net.

By Rosanne F. [Zillow Rep]

I used Postlets to rent our house but it did not go through Zillow. Our house was for sale at the same time. I had a hard time taking it down from the rental sites after we sold the house. We received calls for about 1 year after the house sold and even while we had it rented. I had to work at each site to find where it got posted. It was hard work to get it delisted as a rental.

By l s. [Zillow Rep]

I certainly feel for you. The exact same thing happened to us. We decided to put our own information and number on every single photo and in the description. We started to get some calls from buyers instead of Realtors. I hope this helps and the best of luck with your sale.

Good luck!

By Mary M. [Zillow Rep]

You could remove your listing by following the instructions you find on the Zillow website.

By Angela C. [Zillow Rep]

As far as I know you can't. I had my home appraised at 375k, but the Zillow estimate is 271k. If you check sale prices vs Zillow estimates they are most often WAY OFF. Appraisers are also scamming home owners, as they are mostly incompetent.

By georgie p. [Zillow Rep]

I have no idea. I know that you pay them. I am against it completely since I listed a home on my own. It isnt fair to the seller at all. It confuses the buyer . I have had non stop calls from realtors as well as text messages ...emails ...and mailings. They want to list it when we already did all the work. They get upset that i am selling my own property on my own. It is my right and my property. We had no ide that agents would be listed on our own FSBO listing when we first did this.' They make it look like the agents are involved in my listing since the agent contact info. Is listed before ours We never planned to work with a realtor. We are now more turned off than ever. Many potential buyers call them first since zillow is misleading and the realtors discourage them from our listing. I had my sister contact a few and they lied about it and said it was off the market since when they tried to bully me into working with them. I said no. I sell houses on my own. I do the renovations...the marketing...the staging . I sell them. Its desperate that they have to gang up on sellers who are minding their own business. Its a real estate mafia and its desperate of zillow and the agents.

By cindy b. [Zillow Rep]

Questions? Get answers from the Zillow staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Zillow