US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

edwardp17
1/23/17

I used Orbitz for booking flights for several years but stopped using them about a year ago. Service was going downhill. We would receive incorrect information in their updates and little satisfaction by talking with their customer service reps. Too bad, because they used to be ok, but now I'd recommend finding a different company for online reservations.

sham216
1/9/17

They appear to book flights, you will get confirmation email and ref no. However they fail to release the eticket to the individual airlines. Couldn't get flights to Atlanta, spent from 7:30 to 3pm on my mobile to their ' customer care ' service and got flights rebooked for next day. Turned up at airport and same problem , I could have cried as again they kept me on hold but failed to sort out. If this company is owned by Expedia I will never use either ever again as they cost me a fortune and 2 days of hell for me and my 2 young kids. Lies lies and more lies is all they tell you, they will accuse you to avoid costs for their mistakes or are they 'mistakes' as 2 days running appears to be fraud to me.

mamab2
12/27/16

First & last time to ever make reservations through this site.... charging $516 for an infant in lap travelling internationally. Called them & try to resolve...was on the phone for 3hrs & still unable to even refund us anything :( bbooo!!!
Major RIP OFF!!
They said it's the airlines who sets price up...I called the airlines & they said only Orbitz can make a refund since they billed us...again I called Orbitz back, but still no resolution whatsoever :(

kenr57
12/22/16

They and Expedia were at least initially owned by the airlines themselves, and so they are the worst sites to get discounts. Or refunds. Go to the airline site directly, for the best deals.

timothyh60
12/11/16

Orbitz likes to state they give a refund but the fine print is it's up to the hotel and they NEVER give one. Also the room shown in pictures is not the one you get. You end up with a closet-size room with no view. Some resorts use Orbitz to lure travelers into Buy a Timeshare traps. Use Travelocity instead.

albink6
12/8/16

Thrifty Rental Car company cancelled my reservation most probably because they were running low on cars and decided the could make more money renting it to someone else.
I booked it through Orbitz-which I shall NEVER used again. The only way I found out my reservation had been cancelled is because I called Orbitz to change the pick up time. They admitted that the reservation had not been cancelled by me through their site so the only way it could have been cancelled was by the local franchise.
Orbitz called Thrifty and they basically said "tough"! They offered to give me the difference between what I paid at another rental company. But no apology and no explanation as to why they cancelled.
Getting some money wasn't the point. The point is I made a reservation for a car through a booking site and neither Thrifty or Orbitz would take responsibility for the action. I had to spend a lot of time complaining to no avail. I had to scramble last minute to get a car-and at a hight price.

I STRONGLY urge you NOT to use Orbitz nor Thrifty as they don't stand behind their reservations. Book with them and maybe you have a car.....maybe you don't!
Ø ORBITZ!
Ø THRIFTY!

racheli7
12/3/16

Well, seems like many have the issue I had. I purchased insurance when I booked my flight and hotel package, in the event of cancellation. I had to cancel and all orbitz will tell me is that I can schedule another trip within a year, which is the same thing delta offered without any insurance purchased. and their vacation waiver terms do not specify this policy at all, they actually imply a refund for cancellation.
So all they do is make some money off their customers for no insurance offered at all.
Keep away if possible

bobaks
11/25/16

Orbitz advertise full refund for any cancelaltion within 24hours. I called the customer service about 23 hours past my purchased. The operator put me on hold for an hour and then told me your ticket is no longer refundable.

The website is scam. Never use Orbitz again

attilaf1
11/23/16

They are misleading and don't waste your time buying "cancellation insurance " from them ether!

katek39
10/25/16

My experience of booking a flight with Orbitz was very negative due to the deceitful and misleading business practice conducted by Orbitz.

1. When I already started booking the ticket through Orbitz, the price was about 10% lower. However, without ANY notification about the price change, Orbitz wrote off higher amount about which I found out only after my credit card write off. So be careful if you decide to book with Orbitz: the price during the booking process may differ substantially from the sum wrote off of your credit card (and not in your favor). I believe such practice is unfair because Orbitz should honor the inital price once the booking is started or, at least, notify the customer BEFORE the write off that the price has changed during the booking process.

2. Therefore, I applied for refund according to Orbitz Best Price Guarantee Policy. Orbitz made the procedure of applying for refund much more difficult than it should be. They requested me additional info which was not necessasry. Since I am a lawyer, I anticipated that might happen, so I was prepared in advance. However, most of people would not be able to satisfy Orbitz's additional requests to qualify for refund.

3. My refund was approved BUT Orbitz stated that ""Your refund... will be processed 30 days after the completion of your trip. After which, the refund will reflect on your account after 5 days...".
However, according to art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions "Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification." (https://www.orbitz.com/p/info-other/guarantees).
Therefore, the 30 days approach re refund processing clearly contradicts the provisions of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions which I pointed out to Orbitz employee. Orbitz replied that "Article 11 refers to the approximate days of verification by the credit card company to process the refund."
I wrote the following reply to Orbitz re this:

"I carefully read Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions again and I could not find the 30 days refund return rule mentioned in your email. Such rule is expressly set out for Orbucks but not for refund. In fact, art. 11 of Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions does not even mention credit card company. Which is logical, because Orbitz cannot guarantee that a third party not controlled by Orbitz (i.e. credit card company) will process the refund within 7-10 days. It would be very strange for Orbitz to guarantee the exact number of days (7-10 days) for performing the actions by third parties not controlled by Orbitz that are located in foreign countries and operate under various foreign laws.
Therefore, according to the legal meaning of the wording of art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions and common sense, 7-10 days term refer to Orbitz's own obligation to process the refund and not the obligation of the third party not controlled by Orbitz.
Summing up, I should be grateful if you could send me the quote form Orbitz's regulations or policies stating that 30 days term applies to refund return. Please also indicate the source of this information with a web link attached to it.
Otherwise I would be inclined to believe that Orbitz is willingfully misleading its clients to believe that they will get fast refund from Orbitz in 7-10 days when in fact it is not true. If this is the case, such actions of Orbitz are unfair to its customers and are in bad faith and therefore such actions should be brought to the attention of existing and potential clients and state regulators."

I did not receive any quotes or links to Orbitz policy re 30+days refund processing. In its reply Orbitz has just stated that 30 days refund is their new policy.

That just proves that Orbitz conducts a deceitful business practice leading its customers to believe that getting a refund is quick and easy when in fact it is not.
I am very disappointed with Orbitz and I will not recommend anyone to work with a company that misleads and decieves its cutomers.

ronnyd9
9/22/16

there are so many travel comparison sites. I used to use orbitz, now I might grab it out of an add banner ...

patriciaw90
8/30/16

I had planned my trip all summer while my son was away at Boot camp to drive out and see him graduate. I called a week before to confirm and everything was as it should be.The morning I was to leave out I went to pick the vehicle up from the airport like we planned. I had prepaid but when they stated I owed 570.00 plus 200.00 deposit I about flipped I even pulled up the email from Orbitz showing them and they said they have that problem all the time. I called Orbitz was hung up on then called back and was told it would take 5 days for them to return my funds to the bank.. So I ended up getting a oil change and 4 new tires for my little ole car and praying I make it across country.U.S.Marine Mom

sj271
8/5/16

Reserved a car online thru Orbitz. Itinerary states to pick up car at USAV car rental. Spend (1.5 hrs) here and due to complications I ended up not renting car. The next day, Orbitz charged me $132 for insurance and USAV charged me a an unknown service of $25. That same day, I wrote Orbitz online customer service to explain situation, look up email confirmation, itinerary #, etc and to request a refund of both charges (20 min). Frustrated and With no response after 3-days, I phoned Orbitz rep who informed me that the reservation should have been automatically canceled without charges if car was not picked up. Unfortunately, we were cut off before he could assist me further (15 min). I called back and had to explain the issue again. This time the Orbitz rep placed me on hold while she contacted USAV to verify that I did not rent with them. Then she informed me that she had to send an emai request to the "on-line team" to process the Orbitz insurance and this would take 2-4 days. She further stated that I had to call the USAV supervisor to resolve the $25 charge. As I waited while she composed her letter, I though to myself, Why do I have to follow up? Orbitz does business with USAV and should do the follow up. I also thought, Why can't I contact the "on-line team" directly to expedite my refund? I expressed my concerns so she had to revise her email to also follow up with USAV. I was quite upset at this point so I was offered a $25 coupon for my next visit which I declined. I told her that I did not intend to use ORBITZ in the future. (33 min). Rating 2: The phone representatives were courteous

barbaras138
7/18/16

Haven't gone yet, but don't anticipate trouble. Flight, hotel, and car sll taken care of.

fredk38
7/12/16

Orbitz advertised one price for airline tickets, but was going to charge me 50% more when in the purchase process. Long story behind this short summary, but suffice to say the company is not customer friendly and consistently misleads in its advertising. Had a bad experience with Orbitz a few years ago, but decided to give them a another chance (maybe there was a genuine misunderstanding the first time). Big mistake!! This company is flat out dishonest.

lisaf111
7/12/16

Do not rent a car through Orbitz!! Had booked reservations for car rental weeks in advance, went to pick up car...NO car available. Called Orbitz, after an hour conversation, booked another car through another car rental agency, showed up on time....NO car available! Called Orbitz back...could not even understand the poor English spoken of agent! Pissed!! Need a rental car NOW!

danh99
7/7/16

I had accidentally booked a flight on Orbitz I had already booked on Expedia (they own orbitz by the way). I used the cancel trip button on orbitz, thinking I was cancelling m trip. This was done immediately. I thought my trip had been cancelled, but they never received the cancellation. I called 2 days later and was told I would have to pay $400 in flight cancellation fees. I explained what happened and they insisted I have to pay. So, they are making me pay flight cancellation fees for a flight I'm actually still booked on. Same flight, same place, same time.

I can't understand why they wouldn't give a long time customer of their services a break with this. Why would I buy 2 flight at the same time to the same place? Why did they not get the cancellation? Very poor customer service, very hard to understand the people I was talking to. I'm never using this site or any affiliates again. I'd rather book myself directly through airlines and hotels now. This headache and dent in my pocket is not worth the hassle

lisam318
7/6/16

After 40 minutes Com told me that son could not change his flight after putting me on hold 5 times. Wow Orbitz really?? Then you tell me to cough up another $280 to change flight times... Always book with the airlines, its much safer in case something happens!!

brians232
7/5/16

overseas customer service is horrible in every way, shape, and form....

garyh132
7/5/16

Very good web site, But expensive

brittanyd24
6/30/16

I don't understand how this business can still be around! Worst experience ever booking a room!

carriea17
6/17/16

Do not use Orbitz to book any of your travels. I have missed my connecting flight because the flights (yes flights with an 's') I had booked through Orbitz were late and caused me to miss my connection, which was the last one of the evening. Now, because my connection was a round trip and I missed it, they will not refund me ANY of the money or the hotel. Not only did I spend 1.5 hours on the phone with them to try to sort this out, but they did nothing for me, NOTHING. Not to mention my bags were also lost, which I told them. You would think as a place of customer service they would do something. No, I just have to eat $1,500?! Do not book any travels through them, go directly to the airlines. When you work with the airlines, the airlines work with you. I have never experienced this with any airline before.

anjeloa
5/24/16

Booked a long round trip with this service including 2 connections. Got the exact trip i wanted at a price that was $200 cheaper per person compared to other sites, and was $400 cheaper than my local flight agent.

julien245
5/18/16

In Feb 2016 I booked a trip (flight and rental car) through Orbitz. While booking the rental car I kept getting an error on the website stating that they couldn't process the transaction and to try again, which I did and kept getting the error message. Come to find out that even though I was getting the error message the system was processing the booking thus I ended up with 6 rental car bookings. I called and customer service said that they had deleted all but one car booking. a couple weeks later I was looking at my credit card statement and saw that I was charge by Orbitz for two rental cars. When I called customer service they told me that it was the rental car problem not theirs. I disagree because it was Orbitz on the credit card statement, not the rental car company, and it was Orbitz that took the card for payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was hung up on. I called many times asking for a supervisor and only received argument or they would hang up on me. I even tried emailing several times and the response was you have an active car reservation. I called Capital One to see if they could help. They called Orbitz while I was on the line and Orbitz hung up on them too. Capital One said that they would try to work it out with Orbitz. I went on the trip April 3-10, when I went to pick up the rental car the person there asked me about the second reservation, I explained and he said no worries he thought it was a mistake. Then I received a message last night from Capital one that Orbitz gave them 'evidence' that the charge was correct. I don't know what that evidence can be. How can one person drive two cars? The vacation has past and Orbitz can contact Budget and they can verify that I only took one car. I was charged $226.35 for something I did not want nor booked. At the beginning of this nightmare, I just wanted my credit card credited back for $226.35. I have wasted a lot of time, energy and emotion in getting a wrong righted. It bothers me that a company I have used for years is treated me like this, it is criminal.

jeffr871
5/12/16

SIX PHONE CALLS! "No sir, you must cancel your reservation directly with the airline." NO NO NO! The Airline siad you are wrong and YOU, the travel agency that booked the flight, must cancel the reservations... BACK AND FORTH. NEVER AGAIN will I ever use ORBITZ! PERIOD.

58 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Orbitz staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 8/10/15
Answer
sueh36
Sue H.
A: Depends where you are flying from and where you are flying to
on 8/10/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Orbitz staff and other customers.

Orbitz?