Review of Orbitz

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

marjoriec11
3/29/17

I have always used expedia but I thought I could try orbitz for once. BIG MISTAKE!
I booked a flight, with Air France on purpose, because I knew I might have to change my return date..
I double checked every detail of my reservation to make sure it would not say non-exchangeable anywhere. I even took the insurance, thinking it would help..

Not only the insurance is a joke (they ask for such precise requirements that very rarely you match them!)

AND - and that's definitely the worst - they happen to have a "second policy" that doesn't allow me to change dates with Air France.
Second policy that is not mentioned any where any how during purchase and they are not flexible or understanding. Their customer service is useless and the people on the phone are absolutely rude and couldn't care less!!

I've been bouncing back and fourth between them for days now. Not mentioning the HOURS waiting on the phone between each person. When I asked for a manager, they left me on hold for an hour and I'm still at it.

And I'm still stuck with half a ticket I won't be able to use. I will never use orbitz ever again, they are not even that much cheaper from companies directly. I'd rather deal with Delta in the future!

stephaniek72
3/19/17

Orbitz has been horrible! I book travel a lot and went through them this last time, they do not care about their clients and will not help!! They deserve to be shut down!

taraneej
3/15/17

Their strength is probably their rental car service. You can find some great deals with Orbitz. However it appears that Orbitz/Expedia/Kayak/Travelocity have the exact same hotel prices. It's not really a bargain.

kristyj5
3/14/17

I usually purchase my airplane tickets and hotel booking through Orbitz and I find it very cheap I love it. I tried through other websites and I find this one even cheaper. Haven't had a problem yet though.

johnb819
3/11/17

Confirmed reservation in Vegas and there was no car for me. After an hour and a half still no car and Customer service offered me a $25 dollar coupon towards my next travel booked through Orbitz. Like that will ever happen Missed my parents 65th anniversary in California, because I couldn't find another car in time to get me there. Thanks a lot for nothing Orbitz.

nicoler90
3/6/17

Never in my whole life have I experienced such TERRIBLE customer service on not one, but TWO occasions. I've spent over two hours on the phone with them collectively making this the single WORST travel booking experience I've ever had. The customer service representatives I had on both calls were rude and didn't listen to anything I said, asking me to repeat the same information numerous times ... NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again.

stephy5
3/5/17

It took me all of 10 minutes to enter in the information they wanted to book a flight. After the website took several minutes to load, it gave me an error saying there was a problem with my card information. What they didn't tell me is that they were going to charge me $156 for "booking cancellation".
WHAT BOOKING?!! Your exceptionally flawed website would not process my transaction!
I will never again use a website like Expedia or Orbitz to book a flight.

ericf55
2/16/17

Last nite I used Orbitz to book a room. The hotel would not accomdate, so I called Orbitz, so that I may exchange my reservation for another hotel. The rep I told me that he cancelled and refunded my reservation, and that I would see the funds back in my card in 5 business days. I asked him how I was supposed to make a booking for that night then, since I only had about $10 left on the card after I booked the initial room. He asked if I had friend I could borrow the money from!?!?!?! I spoke to 3 different agents after, and got nowhere. They all just said that in order to book a room, I would need to have the funds. I DID HAVE THE FUNDS. I GAVE THE FUNDS TO YOU GUYS!! So.... after over 3 hours on the phone and explaining the urgency, (that the only funds I had for the room that evening, I had already paid to Orbitz and that I had no family or friends in the Phoenix area, absolutely no where else to go...) I was simply told "I don't know what else I can say to you Eric". So last night, for the first time in my life, I slept outside on a bench in one of the worst areas in Phoenix. I still have nowhere to shower, wash clothes and rest. This resulted in me missing a temp assignment I was supposed to work today to make more money for me to be able to book a room. And of course, I still have not received my refund from the Feb 15 booking, so it looks like I better start adapting to the homeless/on the streets lifestyle...

Thanks for nothing Orbitz!! I will be sure to put you guys on blast all over social media and anywhere else I can!
Orbitz: A Company that will let a customer sleep on the streets, rather then fix their mistakes...

amrinders
2/14/17

I GOT FOOD POISONING AND THIS STUPID AIRLINE DID NOT LET ME CHANGE MY FLIGHT TO THE NEXT DAY. I GOT TRIP PROTECTION HOWEVER THEY SAID THEY MIGHT NOT REIMBURSE ME THE $200 CHANGE FEE. AN ORBITZ REPRESENTATIVE TOLD ME THEY WILL CHARGE ME $200 PLUS THE FLIGHT FEE. RIDICULOUS. THIS WAS A MEDICAL ISSUE YET STILL HAVE TO TRAVEL FEELING SICK.
WORST AIRLINE EVER!!!!!!

amyl136
2/12/17

I have used Orbitz because it is convenient. I will never use them again. Two things I learned today that I think other travelers should know before using Orbitz. First the travel insurance is a joke. You basically need a terminal illness, and even then if you get a proper excuse to miss, you will still have to pay $200+ change fee and "difference in fare" which is extraordinarily high. If you decide just to change the flight, like I was planning today, (change the leg home only to same time next day) they were going to charge $200 change fee and an additional $1200 dollars for a total of $1400 dollars per person. This was from a non stop from Wichita, KS to Houston, TX! Then fee from their website and from United was listed at $430 and the original flight was $450 for the roundtrip. I totally expected to pay a fee, the $200 I get (sucks but I get) but to charge WAY over what the flight even costs is the worst business idea Orbitz could possibly have. I will never use them again. I booked our 1 way tickets back for less than 1/2 total of what they were going to charge me per person and just left the reservation as it was (meaning we will just miss the flight the previous day.) I never write bad reviews, but be aware...Orbitz flight insurance is a scam and a joke. To change a flight via Orbitz is also a scam and a joke. You are better off booking through any airline directly. Oh, and while I am at it, the "book hotel and airfare together for savings" is also a joke. Last 2 trips we compared before booking and could always get better deal on hotel, or same deal than booking on Orbitz with a flight. Just FYI. If Orbitz continues these types of misleading and gauging policies, they won't be around long!

jeannettel6
2/6/17

I usually search several sites when I try to book air tickets for my vacation. Orbitz came up with the best price a few times and I had no trouble booking the flights.

edwardp17
1/23/17

I used Orbitz for booking flights for several years but stopped using them about a year ago. Service was going downhill. We would receive incorrect information in their updates and little satisfaction by talking with their customer service reps. Too bad, because they used to be ok, but now I'd recommend finding a different company for online reservations.

sham216
1/9/17

They appear to book flights, you will get confirmation email and ref no. However they fail to release the eticket to the individual airlines. Couldn't get flights to Atlanta, spent from 7:30 to 3pm on my mobile to their ' customer care ' service and got flights rebooked for next day. Turned up at airport and same problem , I could have cried as again they kept me on hold but failed to sort out. If this company is owned by Expedia I will never use either ever again as they cost me a fortune and 2 days of hell for me and my 2 young kids. Lies lies and more lies is all they tell you, they will accuse you to avoid costs for their mistakes or are they 'mistakes' as 2 days running appears to be fraud to me.

mamab2
12/27/16

First & last time to ever make reservations through this site.... charging $516 for an infant in lap travelling internationally. Called them & try to resolve...was on the phone for 3hrs & still unable to even refund us anything :( bbooo!!!
Major RIP OFF!!
They said it's the airlines who sets price up...I called the airlines & they said only Orbitz can make a refund since they billed us...again I called Orbitz back, but still no resolution whatsoever :(

kenr57
12/22/16

They and Expedia were at least initially owned by the airlines themselves, and so they are the worst sites to get discounts. Or refunds. Go to the airline site directly, for the best deals.

timothyh60
12/11/16

Orbitz likes to state they give a refund but the fine print is it's up to the hotel and they NEVER give one. Also the room shown in pictures is not the one you get. You end up with a closet-size room with no view. Some resorts use Orbitz to lure travelers into Buy a Timeshare traps. Use Travelocity instead.

albink6
12/8/16

Thrifty Rental Car company cancelled my reservation most probably because they were running low on cars and decided the could make more money renting it to someone else.
I booked it through Orbitz-which I shall NEVER used again. The only way I found out my reservation had been cancelled is because I called Orbitz to change the pick up time. They admitted that the reservation had not been cancelled by me through their site so the only way it could have been cancelled was by the local franchise.
Orbitz called Thrifty and they basically said "tough"! They offered to give me the difference between what I paid at another rental company. But no apology and no explanation as to why they cancelled.
Getting some money wasn't the point. The point is I made a reservation for a car through a booking site and neither Thrifty or Orbitz would take responsibility for the action. I had to spend a lot of time complaining to no avail. I had to scramble last minute to get a car-and at a hight price.

I STRONGLY urge you NOT to use Orbitz nor Thrifty as they don't stand behind their reservations. Book with them and maybe you have a car.....maybe you don't!
Ø ORBITZ!
Ø THRIFTY!

racheli7
12/3/16

Well, seems like many have the issue I had. I purchased insurance when I booked my flight and hotel package, in the event of cancellation. I had to cancel and all orbitz will tell me is that I can schedule another trip within a year, which is the same thing delta offered without any insurance purchased. and their vacation waiver terms do not specify this policy at all, they actually imply a refund for cancellation.
So all they do is make some money off their customers for no insurance offered at all.
Keep away if possible

bobaks
11/25/16

Orbitz advertise full refund for any cancelaltion within 24hours. I called the customer service about 23 hours past my purchased. The operator put me on hold for an hour and then told me your ticket is no longer refundable.

The website is scam. Never use Orbitz again

attilaf1
11/23/16

They are misleading and don't waste your time buying "cancellation insurance " from them ether!

katek39
10/25/16

My experience of booking a flight with Orbitz was very negative due to the deceitful and misleading business practice conducted by Orbitz.

1. When I already started booking the ticket through Orbitz, the price was about 10% lower. However, without ANY notification about the price change, Orbitz wrote off higher amount about which I found out only after my credit card write off. So be careful if you decide to book with Orbitz: the price during the booking process may differ substantially from the sum wrote off of your credit card (and not in your favor). I believe such practice is unfair because Orbitz should honor the inital price once the booking is started or, at least, notify the customer BEFORE the write off that the price has changed during the booking process.

2. Therefore, I applied for refund according to Orbitz Best Price Guarantee Policy. Orbitz made the procedure of applying for refund much more difficult than it should be. They requested me additional info which was not necessasry. Since I am a lawyer, I anticipated that might happen, so I was prepared in advance. However, most of people would not be able to satisfy Orbitz's additional requests to qualify for refund.

3. My refund was approved BUT Orbitz stated that ""Your refund... will be processed 30 days after the completion of your trip. After which, the refund will reflect on your account after 5 days...".
However, according to art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions "Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification." (https://www.orbitz.com/p/info-other/guarantees).
Therefore, the 30 days approach re refund processing clearly contradicts the provisions of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions which I pointed out to Orbitz employee. Orbitz replied that "Article 11 refers to the approximate days of verification by the credit card company to process the refund."
I wrote the following reply to Orbitz re this:

"I carefully read Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions again and I could not find the 30 days refund return rule mentioned in your email. Such rule is expressly set out for Orbucks but not for refund. In fact, art. 11 of Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions does not even mention credit card company. Which is logical, because Orbitz cannot guarantee that a third party not controlled by Orbitz (i.e. credit card company) will process the refund within 7-10 days. It would be very strange for Orbitz to guarantee the exact number of days (7-10 days) for performing the actions by third parties not controlled by Orbitz that are located in foreign countries and operate under various foreign laws.
Therefore, according to the legal meaning of the wording of art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions and common sense, 7-10 days term refer to Orbitz's own obligation to process the refund and not the obligation of the third party not controlled by Orbitz.
Summing up, I should be grateful if you could send me the quote form Orbitz's regulations or policies stating that 30 days term applies to refund return. Please also indicate the source of this information with a web link attached to it.
Otherwise I would be inclined to believe that Orbitz is willingfully misleading its clients to believe that they will get fast refund from Orbitz in 7-10 days when in fact it is not true. If this is the case, such actions of Orbitz are unfair to its customers and are in bad faith and therefore such actions should be brought to the attention of existing and potential clients and state regulators."

I did not receive any quotes or links to Orbitz policy re 30+days refund processing. In its reply Orbitz has just stated that 30 days refund is their new policy.

That just proves that Orbitz conducts a deceitful business practice leading its customers to believe that getting a refund is quick and easy when in fact it is not.
I am very disappointed with Orbitz and I will not recommend anyone to work with a company that misleads and decieves its cutomers.

ronnyd9
9/22/16

there are so many travel comparison sites. I used to use orbitz, now I might grab it out of an add banner ...

patriciaw90
8/30/16

I had planned my trip all summer while my son was away at Boot camp to drive out and see him graduate. I called a week before to confirm and everything was as it should be.The morning I was to leave out I went to pick the vehicle up from the airport like we planned. I had prepaid but when they stated I owed 570.00 plus 200.00 deposit I about flipped I even pulled up the email from Orbitz showing them and they said they have that problem all the time. I called Orbitz was hung up on then called back and was told it would take 5 days for them to return my funds to the bank.. So I ended up getting a oil change and 4 new tires for my little ole car and praying I make it across country.U.S.Marine Mom

sj271
8/5/16

Reserved a car online thru Orbitz. Itinerary states to pick up car at USAV car rental. Spend (1.5 hrs) here and due to complications I ended up not renting car. The next day, Orbitz charged me $132 for insurance and USAV charged me a an unknown service of $25. That same day, I wrote Orbitz online customer service to explain situation, look up email confirmation, itinerary #, etc and to request a refund of both charges (20 min). Frustrated and With no response after 3-days, I phoned Orbitz rep who informed me that the reservation should have been automatically canceled without charges if car was not picked up. Unfortunately, we were cut off before he could assist me further (15 min). I called back and had to explain the issue again. This time the Orbitz rep placed me on hold while she contacted USAV to verify that I did not rent with them. Then she informed me that she had to send an emai request to the "on-line team" to process the Orbitz insurance and this would take 2-4 days. She further stated that I had to call the USAV supervisor to resolve the $25 charge. As I waited while she composed her letter, I though to myself, Why do I have to follow up? Orbitz does business with USAV and should do the follow up. I also thought, Why can't I contact the "on-line team" directly to expedite my refund? I expressed my concerns so she had to revise her email to also follow up with USAV. I was quite upset at this point so I was offered a $25 coupon for my next visit which I declined. I told her that I did not intend to use ORBITZ in the future. (33 min). Rating 2: The phone representatives were courteous

barbaras138
7/18/16

Haven't gone yet, but don't anticipate trouble. Flight, hotel, and car sll taken care of.

58 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Orbitz staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 8/10/15
Answer
sueh36
Sue H.
A: Depends where you are flying from and where you are flying to
on 8/10/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Orbitz staff and other customers.

Orbitz?