US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

lesliem20

The hotel reservation I placed with them went the way I expect WITH some help of customer service. (in 13 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

barbaras138
7/18/16

Haven't gone yet, but don't anticipate trouble. Flight, hotel, and car sll taken care of.

fredk38
7/12/16

Orbitz advertised one price for airline tickets, but was going to charge me 50% more when in the purchase process. Long story behind this short summary, but suffice to say the company is not customer friendly and consistently misleads in its advertising. Had a bad experience with Orbitz a few years ago, but decided to give them a another chance (maybe there was a genuine misunderstanding the first time). Big mistake!! This company is flat out dishonest.

lisaf111
7/12/16

Do not rent a car through Orbitz!! Had booked reservations for car rental weeks in advance, went to pick up car...NO car available. Called Orbitz, after an hour conversation, booked another car through another car rental agency, showed up on time....NO car available! Called Orbitz back...could not even understand the poor English spoken of agent! Pissed!! Need a rental car NOW!

danh99
7/7/16

I had accidentally booked a flight on Orbitz I had already booked on Expedia (they own orbitz by the way). I used the cancel trip button on orbitz, thinking I was cancelling m trip. This was done immediately. I thought my trip had been cancelled, but they never received the cancellation. I called 2 days later and was told I would have to pay $400 in flight cancellation fees. I explained what happened and they insisted I have to pay. So, they are making me pay flight cancellation fees for a flight I'm actually still booked on. Same flight, same place, same time.

I can't understand why they wouldn't give a long time customer of their services a break with this. Why would I buy 2 flight at the same time to the same place? Why did they not get the cancellation? Very poor customer service, very hard to understand the people I was talking to. I'm never using this site or any affiliates again. I'd rather book myself directly through airlines and hotels now. This headache and dent in my pocket is not worth the hassle

lisam318
7/6/16

After 40 minutes Com told me that son could not change his flight after putting me on hold 5 times. Wow Orbitz really?? Then you tell me to cough up another $280 to change flight times... Always book with the airlines, its much safer in case something happens!!

brians232
7/5/16

overseas customer service is horrible in every way, shape, and form....

garyh132
7/5/16

Very good web site, But expensive

brittanyd24
6/30/16

I don't understand how this business can still be around! Worst experience ever booking a room!

carriea17
6/17/16

Do not use Orbitz to book any of your travels. I have missed my connecting flight because the flights (yes flights with an 's') I had booked through Orbitz were late and caused me to miss my connection, which was the last one of the evening. Now, because my connection was a round trip and I missed it, they will not refund me ANY of the money or the hotel. Not only did I spend 1.5 hours on the phone with them to try to sort this out, but they did nothing for me, NOTHING. Not to mention my bags were also lost, which I told them. You would think as a place of customer service they would do something. No, I just have to eat $1,500?! Do not book any travels through them, go directly to the airlines. When you work with the airlines, the airlines work with you. I have never experienced this with any airline before.

anjeloa
5/24/16

Booked a long round trip with this service including 2 connections. Got the exact trip i wanted at a price that was $200 cheaper per person compared to other sites, and was $400 cheaper than my local flight agent.

julien245
5/18/16

In Feb 2016 I booked a trip (flight and rental car) through Orbitz. While booking the rental car I kept getting an error on the website stating that they couldn't process the transaction and to try again, which I did and kept getting the error message. Come to find out that even though I was getting the error message the system was processing the booking thus I ended up with 6 rental car bookings. I called and customer service said that they had deleted all but one car booking. a couple weeks later I was looking at my credit card statement and saw that I was charge by Orbitz for two rental cars. When I called customer service they told me that it was the rental car problem not theirs. I disagree because it was Orbitz on the credit card statement, not the rental car company, and it was Orbitz that took the card for payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was hung up on. I called many times asking for a supervisor and only received argument or they would hang up on me. I even tried emailing several times and the response was you have an active car reservation. I called Capital One to see if they could help. They called Orbitz while I was on the line and Orbitz hung up on them too. Capital One said that they would try to work it out with Orbitz. I went on the trip April 3-10, when I went to pick up the rental car the person there asked me about the second reservation, I explained and he said no worries he thought it was a mistake. Then I received a message last night from Capital one that Orbitz gave them 'evidence' that the charge was correct. I don't know what that evidence can be. How can one person drive two cars? The vacation has past and Orbitz can contact Budget and they can verify that I only took one car. I was charged $226.35 for something I did not want nor booked. At the beginning of this nightmare, I just wanted my credit card credited back for $226.35. I have wasted a lot of time, energy and emotion in getting a wrong righted. It bothers me that a company I have used for years is treated me like this, it is criminal.

jeffr871
5/12/16

SIX PHONE CALLS! "No sir, you must cancel your reservation directly with the airline." NO NO NO! The Airline siad you are wrong and YOU, the travel agency that booked the flight, must cancel the reservations... BACK AND FORTH. NEVER AGAIN will I ever use ORBITZ! PERIOD.

alexandrah8
4/8/16

After stupidly booking a reservation on orbitz and paying extra so it could be cancelled, I found that the dates were wrong. So I called orbitz and spent 40min on hold only to be told they couldn't do the cancellation on half the ticket. They other half they claimed to be able to cancel and put me on hold while doing that ... for 30min before the line was cut! Now I'm going to call the credit card company. I'll never use orbitz again!

theag4
4/5/16

very helpful
TDG

smileyf1
3/18/16

I have bought many tickets from this site and have always been pleased. I have never had any problems with them and have found their prices to be slightly less than Expedia several times, especially when buying one-way tickets. No complaints here, will use again and recommend.

rebeccam76
2/24/16

I scheduled a trip to Asia and was using Orbitz as a travel resource between destinations on my trip. I started in Hong Kong then planned to travel to Beijing by train and then fly from Beijing to Bangkok, Thailand. Unfortunately, despite every effort I made, extenuating circumstances prevented me from catching my train to Beijing and thus I missed my flight from Beijing to Bangkok, which I booked through Orbitz. I had to adjust my itinerary for the trip and contacted a customer service representative in the US from where I was staying in Hong Kong. The gentleman was very kind and patient and spent nearly half an hour helping me reconstruct my itinerary. This representative informed me that the money I had spent initially ($553) for my flight from Beijing to Bangkok could not be diverted to my new itinerary when I canceled the flight, but a credit of that amount would be placed on my account with Orbitz to use toward any domestic flights within the United States provided I use the credit within a year after my flight cancellation (expiration date of credit: April 1, 2016).

February 18, 2016 I contacted Orbitz about claiming my refund and was told by the representative I spoke with - again, a very kind and patient individual - that I received incorrect information. I could only use this credit with the airline I canceled with, which was a Chinese airline. Not American. Furthermore, to use this credit I would be subject to penalty fees of up to $200. I expressed to this representative that this policy is ludicrous and incredibly misleading, and he agreed with me and apologized saying there wasn't anything he could do.

I contacted the BBB with the details of my complaint and was contacted by a customer relations representative. She reviewed every aspect of my complaint thoroughly, but ultimately said that there was nothing they could do to remedy the situation. I decided not to continue pushing my complaint with the BBB in any interest of financial retribution, and see greater worth in sharing my experience with fellow travelers to advise them to seek other resources besides Orbitz. Please, learn from my experiences and do not make the same mistake I did by trusting Orbitz. Hopefully you find this review helpful!

stuartc31
2/14/16

I booked a reservation, subsequently cancelled it for a different ticket, was told I could get a complete refund, booked another reservation for the same destination, sent it to my client, checked on it 2 hours later and someone at Orbitz cancelled the new ticket instead of the first reservation. I am now scrambling for another flight and am now being told that there isn't any refund. I have spent HOURS on this.

gloriand
2/10/16

Be careful what you're signing up for!

michaelab5
2/9/16

My Visa card was used fraudulently to book a two-night stay in a hotel using Orbitz Worldwide as the booking agent. Orbitz have a system (quite common place in online travel agencies apparently) whereby online customers pay for travel services using credit details that do not have to match the person who books into the hotel. Orbitz take payment from customers, charge commission and then pay the hotels. Guests can book into hotels without being asked for ID to prove that they have used their own credit cards to make the bookings. Orbitz have so far not taken responsibility for their lack of security and have accused me of making a fraudulent claim. My advice is be very careful when using their services.

jessicar81
2/8/16

I usually always book threw Hotels.com, but this time Orbiz had the room cheaper so I decided to give them a try. My plans did change so I couldn't make it to the hotel on the scheduled date. I tried to call to inform Orbiz but couldn't get an answer so I had to wait until the start of the business day. Only to have gone threw 3 reps that wouldn't even consider calling the hotel to try and rearrange the dates. I was even willing to pay for for the extra night. Basically, they wouldn't negotiate just stated since I didn't make it they cancelled it and I couldn't get my money back. They also kept stating that the hotel was responsible for keeping my booking fees. I contacted the hotel and they stated that they do charge a one night cancellation fee. So if they charge one night, where is the other two nights I paid for go? I asked Orbiz. Yeah, they keep it. Although they could refund it but they choose not to because it's a company that had its own best interest in mind. Which is not the mentality at Hotels.com. They always no matter what try to get you a refund or reschedule or whatever to make sure YOU the consumer are on top at the end. I can't be upset with Orbiz for their policy you have some companies/ corporations that take and every now and then you have companies/ corporations that really cares about you the consumer and I promise you this is not one of those caring companies/corporations. If you are absolutely sure you will make your planned trip go with them, I guess. But if you understand that sometimes life happens. Go to Hotels.com

amberf14
1/20/16

They straight theive from your credit card. I had my phone giving me text alerts from my credit card in the middle of the night after I had checked out of the hotel I used it at 2days ago. Still haven't received my money back yet. 5day wait still nothing.

kendrickc10
1/11/16

I used the Orbitz automated system to book an early morning flight with United Airlines. When I recieved my confirmation it was not the flight I had chosen and take off was 12 hours later than I needed. I called customer service and they were very nice about cancelling the first flight and booking the flight I originally desired. Was given discounts and credits in consolation for my troubles. Was very pleased with the experience...
Upon checking my bank account I find three separate transactions for the same amount, two from United and one from Orbitz! I accepted the second charge would be for the cancelled flight and would be refunded shortly... The third charge is a mystery to me and is now causing NSF charges to my account because I'm just a working man supporting a disabled vet wife, and a young pregnant daughter on a budget.
After calling customer service twice on this matter I have come to the conclusion that I have to eat the NSF charge myself and quit whining
Thank you Orbitz for my good and bad experience

kristene7
12/25/15

I had booked a flight from Madison, Wi to Seattle, Wa in September. Plan was to leave Madison on Dec. 22nd and be with my daughter and grandchildren in Seattle for Christmas. I received a confirmation email from Orbitz on Sunday Dec. 20, 2015, confirming the flight. So, I showed up at the airport on Dec. 22, 2015, and was told I no longer had a flight. American Airlines told me that Orbitz had switched me to United. The United flight had left sometime around 8 AM and there were no more flights. United told me that Orbitz had canceled me on the flight. Subsequently, I spent about 3.5 hours on the phone with Orbitz, crouched in a bent position because there was no where to sit, trying to find a way to get to Seattle. Orbitz just continued to blame ME for my not having a flight, saying they had emailed me in October telling me my flight had been changed. Wrong. Orbitz emailed me in October telling me my flight on American had been moved from 1:30 PM to 12;30 PM on Dec. 22nd. Nothing else. And I have all the emails to prove this. I was devastated that I couldn't get to Seattle for this long-planned-for Christmas celebration. Ultimately, I left the airport with no resolution, just blame of me, went home, and spent the next 2 days attempting to get resolution from Orbitz. Nothing. My sister then joined in attempting to get something from Orbitz. Orbitz just continued to blame me. And, then, they blamed United. Suffice it to say, there has been no resolution. Christmas with my family was ruined. I will NEVER use Orbitz again and I highly recommend no one else use Orbitz again.

melissaz6
12/15/15

I have spent a total of 6 hours today on the phone to America from Australia trying to resolve a booking issue for our upcoming Xmas holiday.
Still not with a satisfactory result....ORBTIZ solution was "we are sorry but we cant do anything about this matter"!! The issue was one of our accom booking requests being cancelled, for no reason and no explanation given. Although the last night was confirmed and money taken from our bank account, the first 3 nights accom in this place were cancelled. So ridiculous to only stay in the accom for night when we needed 4 nights!!
ORBITZ will not honour the first 3 nights. ORBTIZ will not refund us the last one night. An agent for them on their phone number told me they were updating their systems this is probably what the problem was. Still they will not help, not at all!! Instead I was told to check with my bank etc etc....I did go to my bank, who informed me (as I already knew) that my card and bank account are totally fine and there is no problem my end. They confirmed the one night accom money was successfully taken by ORBITZ.
I rang ORBITZ back again and thier agent said he could book it for me (after the first cancellation occurred). I gave him my card details. My bank informed me later (when I had to check again) that no-one from ORBITZ had even attempted to put that booking through - strange and concerning since i gave my card info out!
After being on hold for 2 hours - yes, thats right, on hold for 2 hours today - to speak to a supervisor.... the solution was "sorry and we cant do anything. Can't refund the one night and cant process and confirm your first three nights" . Very frustrating, as I pointed out to them, while all this cancellation of our 3 nights was occurring, the ORBITZ website was still showing the villa we requested had availability for those nights !!
I have since booked through the first 3 nights through the villa themselves....and it cost me an additional $450.00 to what the original ORBITZ quote was.
DO NOT USE ORBITZ!!!!

andrep13
12/14/15

I will Never recommend using Orbitz. In June of 2015, I purchased 2 round trip tickets from Alaska to Florida using Orbitz for a December 2015 holiday trip. Great price, definitely not worth it. I chose to use one airline (Delta Air all the legs of this round trip air.) I got confirmation for 2 round trip tickets, dates and times all good. Over the next 5 months, we got approximately 6 notices of scheduling changes. I understand this, flight schedules change constantly. Happens - when you book far in advance. We travel often.

Upon preparing for this upcoming trip, I printed out the latest updated ‘confirmation’ and noticed it said, One Way for each of us and I could not get the return portion to show up. I telephoned the airlines directly asking what was going on, was told "Orbitz cancelled my return portion". I then asked for a supervisor and Delta supervisor was courteous and did not have a reason for me, but told me not to worry as they were 'contractually obligated" to get us on that return . . . This is in December, just 2 weeks before we are to leave and during the holiday season - I was not hopeful. Sure enough, I was not able to get return flights during the dates we had originally paid and booked for.

Final answer, we got out 2 days later than planned. Obviously this caused me a great deal of stress, a great deal more money as I was scrambling to find a hotel for 2 added days, our work schedules had to change, costing us substantial more - financially - as well as our car rental now was more than double the cost to add 2 single days on. I tried every car rental and the answer was the same. More than double the cost as had been booked in advance. The advantage to booking cars early.

I have attempted several times to contact Orbitz directly, asking for a supervisor. The first time, was connected to a ‘supervisor’. But his accent was so thick, I could not have a conversation with him. I asked him where he was located and was told, the Philippines. I apologized to him, informed him that I could not understand him and would call back. I have not yet been able to speak to anyone in the U.S. I have even asked for customer service for Chicago, since Orbitz shows an address for Illinois. I have gotten no where with Orbitz directly and no answer for why they would have cancelled our return flight. I feel like an idiot for using them and now reading dreadful reviews that duplicate my complaint.

58 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Orbitz staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
8/10/15
Answer
sueh36
A: Depends where you are flying from and where you are flying to
8/10/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Orbitz staff and other customers.

Orbitz?