US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

jerilync1
2/20/17

Organizer judges your ability after one session. No second chances. Very cliquey and unfriendly. Organizer charged $5 per person, there are at least 20 people there, and courts cost $5!!

christopherp79
2/19/17

I used meetup.com some time back and just returned to kickstart a professional network in my area. However, I was disappointed to see the site actively promoting a political agenda. I'm so weary of corporations attempting to force a liberal ideology on us and have decided to seek alternatives as much as I reasonably can when this happens. Since meetup.com has chosen to promote a ridiculous viewpoint right from the start on its homepage, I no longer have a use for the site's services.

reesem25
2/15/17

I've used meetup.com on and off for many years, but after receiving their #Resist email, I am deleting and encouraging all I know to do the same.

It is obvious to me that Meetup hates our country, our President, and the American people. Their hashtag of #Resist is not only disrespectful to the electoral process and the many, many Americans who voted to put Trump in office, but also insinuates a call to violence. Dispicable, disgusting, and treasonous. I voted for Obama in the last two elections and have identified as Democrat for 15 years, but activities and attitudes such as this have pushed me Right, and I plan never to return to the Democratic Party again.

When will businesses learn that their SMARTEST move is to stay neutral and not alienate half of their customer base?

Additionally, I've used this site on-and-off for years to find hiking groups, and have continually found myself fed up with the pervs using it as a hookup site... thus the on-and-off. Don't waste your time... or money!

js266
2/15/17

I started an account as a way to get people together that might be interested in Toastmasters. Toastmasters clubs can be (ours is anyway) a very diverse group of people with differing opinions. For Meetup to go political (#resist) is very classless. In my opinion, a waste of a good concept. Bye Bye Meetup.

lindaw236
2/15/17

Anti-American rhetoric cannot be tolerated in this nation. Opinions are one thing; encouraging civil unrest and violence are inappropriate. Good-bye before I got started. Anyone want to collaborate to start a decent "meet-up" organization???

lous38
2/15/17

I'm so bummed that the head management at Meetup felt compelled to encourage resist groups in an email to all its members. I'd say 50% of this nation would take exception to that. We voted..that's the way it works. I'm saying goodbye as an organizer and will find another site. I don't want to pay to listen to that B.S.

lenoreo
2/15/17

I didn't join Meetup to hear their political views. Civil unrest, resistance...really Meetup??? Is this what you're offering subscribers? Bad choice for any business to preach their political opinions! Unwise, unprofessional, UNSUBSCRIBE!!

maer15
2/15/17

Capitalist in sheep's clothing LOL. Keep your political opinions to yourself... or not. After all, you are a 4profit company. Want to impress me... donate 30% of your companies income to the homeless. Start a meetup for that. Want my disrespect? You already got that.

richardm236
2/14/17

Yep, on February 13 they insulted half the country for absolutely no purpose. Great job guys! Clearly, only certain kinds of people are welcome.

donnad94
2/14/17

MeetUp just snubbed half of the country and half of their users in one fell swoop. MeetUp is promoting civil unrest and is spreading false news via email to it's members and organizers. Additionally, blatantly favoring one political party by giving them free membership for the left-wing, divisive meetup groups only. I had 2 faith-based groups and several of my friends are also organizers. After contacting all my members, I closed my accounts. Most of my friends are preparing to do the same.

cynthiam97
2/14/17

Yep we all know that they were the instigators that went to Lois Lerner in the IRS and squealed on tea party people the weasels that they are. Meet up has always been a creepy organization with bad customer service and now for them to be pushing the resist movement and did you adamantly trying to overthrow our government this organization needs to be tried fir Sedition and jailed. Bye bye Brendin McGovern, Glusman and Atkins. The people are too smart for your manipulative moves! Instigating unrest in this country unnecessarily and for no reason other than the fact that you can't handle that you lost the election. Go back to kindergarten and learn how to lose like an adult. This is a democracy and you lost. Get it?

janinew10
2/14/17

I've often touted Meetup as the best thing since pockets. Not anymore This is absurd that they would promote RESISTing anything and for free?! I hope people do leave. I just did!

curtisk17
2/14/17

Anyone can easily join a resist site
Anyone can easily cancel their meetings
Anyone can easily leave the group.

in that order...............

nickb106
2/14/17

You can use facebook groups to manage your group/club/meetup for free. No need to pay $20/mo to subsidize meetup.com's political agenda. #resist meetup.com

jony29
2/14/17

I did not join Meetup to see your political nonsense. Cease and desist or you will lose the majority of your members and maybe the whole website. Meetup is supposed to be a fun way to meet people of similar interests - not to serve your political interests. Grow up!

miked236
2/14/17

Please don't email me information regarding your new RESIST propaganda. ...
I'm not interested, and I did not join Meetup to be indoctrinated with your politics.

tomd127
2/14/17

You may have had 50,000 people sign up for your 1000 free supported (Resist What?) groups but you will lose many more thousands of people and groups that have subscribed. Its ok to stick with your beliefs but realize you may not be in business much longer. It will be hard to retract your stand now.

johnv135
2/14/17

If I didn't have to remain a member to get information from my club, I would resign immediately. GO BACK TO YOUR CORE PURPOSE, MEETUP!

jasonb260
2/14/17

Paying for the meet up club for several years and they are giving the Resist group free of charge. I will not be part of shoving any agenda on people.

rons115
2/14/17

I have well over 2500 members. I sent out an e-mail notifying all members we may be making a move to a different service. I also notified Meetup they were not allowed to send my members any unsolicited political e-mails and they were not allowed to use my groups name without express permission of us, it is a registered trade name. Also they did this in direct violation of our groups rules. I have lost a number of members since they pulled this. They have damaged our reputation by taking a group founded on no drama into a political one.

Frankly I think we could all band together and look for a law firm to file a class action suit.

As it is I am contacting Forbes, Bloomberg and other News Agencies to let them know what Meetup is doing.

Let Meetup explain to them how they have become a political action committee on the backs of organizers who have helped them become what they are.

theo627
2/14/17

What on earth do Meetup think they are doing. I join because I am interested in board games, photography and cooking and Meetup have decided to spam me with their political rubbish. If I wanted that I would sign up for it. Who do they think they are. Goodbye to Meetup.

davidg369
2/13/17

Another supposedly nonpartisan organization, Meetup.com, is virtue-signaling in response to the President's effort to restrict the immigration of Islamic terrorists. Ironically, the group's founding was partly inspired by the 9/11 bombings by--you guessed it--Islamic terrorists (http://observer.com/2011/01/the-long-and-curious-history-of-meetupcom/).

bobl105
2/13/17

I received the Meetup Resist email and could clearly see that it had absolute nothing to do with the Meetup charter regarding bringing people face to face to enjoy shared local interests. Further research showed that it was a misrepresentation to extend this invitation to join to Australian members, who might applaud its politically correct aims but were actually unaware that this was an attempt to gain support and numbers to oppose Donald Trump. I too am resigning from Meetup.

keithj44
2/13/17

I got so angry today when I received that "Resist Crap" from Meet Up. I have been an Organizer for over 4 years. I am hoping this back fires completely on Meet Up. Any other Organizers that know of another platform to replace MU, I am very interested in moving, even if the cost doubles. Let us know !!

erinn22
2/13/17

Pushing their political agenda. It pops up as soon as you click on the website to join their group to resist. Absolutely ridiculous.

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

28 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Meetup staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question