US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

carbonc

It's just a website that facilitates peoples' desires to MEET other like-minded people. (in 70 reviews)

kayl263

Every Meetup Group that I organized had a lot of people joining. (in 99 reviews)

wallyk

If Meetup members didn't love their groups they wouldn't stay in them for years, and that's the bottom line. (in 5 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

candaced5
7/8/16

FIRST, I wrote I wanted to cancel as host. SECONDLY, I'm billed for another term because I didn't know the procedure.THIRDLY, AFTER BEING BILLED, IM SENT THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR CANCELLING.

BILLING WILL NOT RESPOND. I FEEL TRICKED. MEETUP SCAMS PEOPLE BY AUTOMATICALLY CHARGING FOR RENEWAL, THEN WON'T REPLY.

NEVER DEAL WITH MEETUP,!!!

volleyballe
6/28/16

Signed up to attend this "Advanced Intermediate" meetup group. The co-organizer, Brad is the person who puts down the lines for these courts located at Twin Dolphins, Huntington Beach, CA. Well, this organizer is not very nice. When potential players RSVP to play, they go into his waiting list and from there he cherry picks which players he wants to allow to play. Now, in concept one would think Brad is recruiting only the best advanced volleyball players, right? Well, not exactly. Brad is one mean and hypocritical person because in his group there's players who cannot meet the minimum skills to play even regular intermediate volleyball level, let alone "advanced intermediate" as he calls his group. To me it's interesting how can get away with treating people in such a rude and ugly manner and still be allowed to have a meetup group. If you're looking for a place to play fun volleyball with friendly people, DO NOT sign up to play with Brad's "Advanced Intermediate" volleyball group in Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday mornings at Twin Dolphin courts.

joshm116
6/23/16

Total waste of time with organizers who couldn't properly host a meetup if their lives counted on it. People who attend these meetups tend to have the intelligence of a potato. Wierd people who have no lives. Stalkers, tons of creeps, wierdos, wannabes, hippies, you name it.

aayusha1
6/4/16

We all know Meetup is a famous platform and a concept very well implemented, but I gotta say that both the website and the mobile keeps crashing and hanging!

The tech end of the website sucks and there isn't even a feedback section!

Nuts.

rogerm83
5/26/16

Way to go meetup.com... Let's just take away the first amendment and while your at it, just force on your members all the other goofy beliefs you have on tap.

marks371
5/20/16

The overall experience was disappointing. First I wanted to find some hobbies or interests outside of my current group of friends. I joined some social groups and even some singles groups I am a very shy person when put into a social situation where I know no one. I decided to interact with a few people before I would show up at an overpriced event with strangers. I wanted to get a feel for the group, what to expect and to be able to get to know someone before attending an event. I received responses back from other interested members. Then meetup deleted my account stating I was sending spam messages!!! Apparently they have a rule against copying/pasting messages. How many different ways can you say Hi can you tell me what your opinion is of said group? How feasible is to make sure every message is unique? Is it really spam if members are talking to each other? Isnt the point of this site for basic networking? If Im in a singles group isnt the point to meet others who may share common interests? Apparently not. Meetup wants you to be forced into awkward social situations and then you are free to conversate with others in your group. In this day and age meetup might be the only site where one is not allowed to send online messages. Truly bizarre.
Worst part was I dont even get a warning that what I was doing was against their Terms of Service. Just tried to log in one day and got a message my account was deleted and would not be reinstated. That was just bizarre.
Of course trying to get an explanation from customer service is like trying to get a toddler to explain why they thought it was a good idea to eat cat poop. They are of no help. You cant have a conversation with them. They are however really good at replying with scripted correspondence that offers no real answer to ones specific issue. And that includes responding back and informing them that they havent really explained their position, offered a reasonable solution or even appear to have actually read your email query to them.
In my opinion trying to get customer service to help is a complete waste of time. They have no idea what that term means. And thats apparently OK with them until we as consumers stop buying their product or someone else develops a similar model.
One more thing MeetUp: Your account will not be reinstated. Thank YOU for understanding. Sh!tbirds

toma456
5/9/16

My whole social circle are Meet Up friends.

Activity meet up groups are great...especially relating to nature and hiking. These are the two most popular groups in my city. The dance groups are also going strong...both lessons and meeting together at a club. The huge decline has been in general social groups...also dating groups are now dead (never were popular). Tons of singles have paired up doing specific activities ( hiking, etc) rather than 'dating'.

Bottom line...it's all about the organizer. How does he/she welcome newbies, keep people enthused, organize events, etc.

jennyj33
4/30/16

I joined several meetup groups and found all were full of leaders and participants that are are socially disfunctional outcasts. For a better experince, just join a legitamate club. Or if you are that lonely, just go to a park and start talking to a bum sitting on a bench. You'll get the same outcome.

paulr159
4/24/16

They are really great and we meet at different dog parks every weekend, the people are very nice and friendly. The site is really organized and it's easy to see who is going and I appreciate the updated emails. We always have a great time and they keep the meetups within a 12 or less mile radius. I just wish their was one for mountain bikers in this area.

reneew31
4/21/16

I attended a Meetup called Bay Area 40+ Singles Club and the event host, Liz, who is now the group organizer, severely harassed me. Basically, my constitutional rights were blatantly violated! Liz demanded to search my food bag when I was leaving the Meetup without probable cause and of course, without a search warrant. The U.S. Constitution itself protects citizens from unreasonable search and seizure. This woman, Liz, grabbed my food bag without my permission, searched all the contents without my consent and then demanded to know "Is that wine bottle yours?" (I had brought a bottle of wine to the Meetup which no one opened.) She basically accused me of theft without justification and in front of 3 other Meetup members, libeling and slandering me. I look somewhat Latino and feel this bizarre search was a form of racial profiling. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MEETUP WAS HELD IN EAST SAN JOSE WHICH IS 50% LATINO AND YET OTHER THAN ME, NO ONE APPEARED TO BE LATINO. Her actions will discourage Latinos from joining Meetup and since Latinos are now about 20% of the U.S. population and 40% of the population of the county I live in, a reputation for racial profiling will be highly detrimental to Meetups business. Please note that the City of San Jose has strict city codes in regards to any type of racial profiling and this Meetup was held within the San Jose city limits. Liz also violated city codes in that she was acting like she was a police officer. Meetup also allowed her to remove my posting about the incident so Liz is free to engage in this behavior again and innocent Latinos will be intimidated and harassed! I have not received even a traffic ticket in over 30 years and have never been accused of any crime, not even a misdemeanor and yet I go to a Meetup and am treated like a street criminal. This is very, very disgusting. The bottom line-Meetup needs to reprimand this organizer and re-post my comments about my experience on this Meetup site. California has very strict laws about revealing product defects to consumers and this form of harassment is definitely a product defect and should be revealed to consumers. What will Liz do next? Call the police on some innocent Latino and have them arrested on false charges? Block all Latinos from joining her group? The San Jose Metro has done stories on racial profiling here in San Jose and I do not think Meetup would enjoy being part of a news story on the false arrest of a Latino at a Meetup event or blocking all Latinos from joining major Meetup groups. Meetup absolutely refuses to do anything about this situation and has deleted my comments about my experience from the Meetup Website. Meetup lets organizers delete all bad reviews so all Meetups look like five stars and members can continue to be victimized.

joes15
4/6/16

I'm on several meetups. Mostly I use it for organizing motorcycle rides. I have no complaints.

maryj169
4/1/16

I loved Meetup when you could run free groups, but now they want everyone to pay fairly sizeable fees, which is problematic if you can't get enough people into your group pretty quickly, but even if you are willing to pay to start a group, and pay for the service, they offer ZERO support other than a page of FAQs. Good luck trying to find a way to contact them about problems. We have constant issues with members being able to pay dues, yet there is no way whatsoever go get support for the problem. I wish another company would step in and create a similar system, that would let people run small groups for free and then gradually increase the fees as your group grows... and have at LEAST a way to contact someone by email when something DOESN'T WORK they way it should.

And just when I thought things couldn't get worse, Meetup decided they don't want to allow any "dating" services but in a case of over-kill, they have gone after pretty much all Singles groups (I saw the review on here from someone that was harrassed by someone in a singles meetup group so it's probably due to a few bad apples that has caused this over-reaction in what they are allowing), so that all these wonderful groups that host activities for singles (who let's face it, often have a hard time finding things to do if you aren't in a relationship or have a group of close friends) are now getting harassed by Meetup under this policy even for activities that have NOTHING to do with dating! More and more of my groups are starting to use Facebook for our events because of how incredibly frustrating and over-bearing Meetup has become to deal with. We are just all waiting for some other website to come along that offers something similar so we can finally all get away from Meetup for good.

penelopem5
4/1/16

Can't find a way to send a message to meetup "help" to change the city I live in. Seriously, this should not be this difficult!

junkm5
3/26/16

I set-up a meetup group and was notified I need to add more details..I continued working on it and spent a few hours calendaring upcoming events. I thought well I'm using the meetup group okay and hell a member just joined so I guess I'm cool. Guess again!!!!! WITH NO WARNING AND NO ABILITY AT ALL TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE (NO EMAIL, NO SUPPORT FORUM, NO PHONE) I GET A NOTICE THAT EVERYTHING IS DELETED AND REFUNDED! AHOLES. NOW I HAVE TO START ALL OVER! THANKS A BUNCH MEETUP. WHERE'S THE MONEY GOING?

xx61
3/21/16

In short, meetup.com is like a prison where you cant interact with other prisoners. You can pay for the one hour break i.e. event where most of the interesting people never show up!
I joined meetup as I am a very shy person. There were few groups for singles and I decided to interact with a few before I would show up at a overpriced boring event with strangers. I never go to an event alone and reason for interaction with another member was to make sure the company will be worth it. After I began to receive messages back from other interested members, meetup.com deleted my account stating as spam messages!!! Is it really spam if members are talking to each other or basic networking? In this age and day meetup.com might be the only site not allowing online messages. Truly bizarre & complete waste of time.

frankh86
3/17/16

I am being charged $14.99/mo because the number of members in my meetup group magically reached 50, in a surge, yet NONE of these accounts actually interacted to an announcement, or message, or registered for an event.

Did Meetup.com pad my meetup group with fake IDs so you could start charging me? Pretty suspicious.

ronaldb69
3/16/16

I wanted to start a meet up group, but had problems with the technical side of it. Their "customer service" is someone just answering emails. How often have you been able to solve a technical issue by email?

meowem
3/14/16

I was a member since 2005. I attended my first meetup in 2006, met my longterm bf of nearly 4 years that day which unfortunately ended badly with a horrible break. I then met a close friend not long after the break up at another meetup and met many nice people, none of whom became more than meet up friends but who were nice people to occasionally spend time with.

I had my frustrations with meetup: endless rsvps and warnings not to cancel at short notice or you will be deleted from a group- I find this ridiculous since life happens, we get sick suddenly, emergencies come up etc. Bad instructions to meet up locations, early morning only events and such, event organizers who don't show up, don't wait for the group, don't communicate via email, and one who refused to give more specific parking directions to an event because I hadn't signed up for the meetup yet. The worst was probably when I was on a hike, my blood sugar was dropping and I and another woman who had bad knee pain lagged behind and the leader never even noticed or asked if we needed help. Overall it was a good experience and the people organizing events were nice.

I hadn't logged in on my phone/laptop for 2 months maybe due to having too much going on and I tried to log in the other day to find Meetup has deleted my account, with no notification. I received a response that various email providers such as yahoo/aol etc. require that if an email isn't working and or someone hasn't used the account for 6 months their account should be deleted. I know I had logged in in a six month period so this is bogus. My email is still working, it's not a yahoo/aol etc. I'm very disappointed that all my groups and friends are gone now, I had some old comments from friends I wanted to keep and who knows I might have wanted to click on those friends and look them up at some point again. How does meetup justify deleting a member account in good standing without even notifying them?? Very upset!

bradc32
3/8/16

So apparently, it is just a bunch of "Like" buttons for your personal interests. It seems like the kind of thing, in this horrible age of instant gratification, consumerism, and hyper-materialism, that people just go in - start clicking away on all the things they would like to do, then never show up to a meet up . Personally, here in SoCal, they are all really too far to drive and be stuck in traffic. Plus, hardly anyone ever RSVP's. Guess they are too busy at other Meetups? Wrong. They are too busy worrying about themselves, and watching reality TV to care about socializing. What a sad more on the decline of our society toward 3x5 mobile screens . . .

tekar
3/4/16

I have been a member of several meet up groups for a few years but "Toronto Vegan Meetup" has to be the worst. It consists of badly organized events, with no one to greet you, no music, terrible food options and a young demographic enthralled with their smartphones lacking in the social skills that would enable them to meet new members.

I have witnessed organizers try to moderate discussions by taking sides, ganging up and berating individual members for voicing their opinions.
This group is more interested in their socials than animal welfare. Please dont wast your time

lashawnm2
2/27/16

I waa member of meetup almost 3 yrs and while i did connect with 2 pple as acqaintances the overall experience was disappointing. First it ses like pple who join meetup are either just looking for something to do randomly in btwn their lives or they're pple who are just curious to see what its like with a different crowd. Half the groups i joined that had great carch phrases as descriptions were inactive then the other ones the events were merely disappointing.

My last straw was after i had planned for almost 2weeks on a listes event to where i had arranged childcare etc and about 12 hours before the event it was listed as "canceled"!! No explanation no personalization with direct msg just a last minute cancellation. As a parent it takes a lot of planning to be be able to participate in social events and i find it very disrespectful when an organizer pretty much wastes your time. Mind you this is a small goup of pple i had met before. They cld havw definitely contacted me before hand. They literally canceled at 9pm for anebent scheduled the next morning. I even tried to reach out to the organizer and nobody responded.

The other group had what seemes to be a group of anti social females who basically wanted to form a click. It seemed exhausting.

Bottom line for me it yielded no real results and i ended up deactivating my account. Ill try connect with pple in person wherever i go and im a person who jas no problem with my own company anyway and am very open minded and social.

Meet up basically confirmed what i have always felt about anything to do with meeting pple online.

laharld
2/20/16

No disrespect to anyone, we will all get to that age, but most meetup groups in my town is just for old people.

michellel110
2/2/16

Young newbies of PBC is a group that is only there to sell and do drugs. They should shut it down

jeannem26
1/29/16

I am very outgoing and energized, and have always been one to organize events, so I thought it would be perfect to get a meet-up group going as I was divorced and wanted to connect with those who have common interests. I started a live music group and have invested an incredible amount of time into this for close to 8 months and have under 130 members only. I have scheduled 33 awesome meet-ups and most times I am solo or have to find an outside friend to go with and other times 1-2 people show. It is costing me $20 a month - no one contributes although I ask for a $2 fee (I don't want to ask for the money). I am not a quitter and had high hopes, thinking 1000 people would sign up right away (how silly). I reached out to meet-up and asked why is it that I see tons of people who are interested in live music yet they are not joining my site (even my friends couldn't find the site when I gave them specific instructions) and just some unhelpful responses. There is no number to call an employee and it is frustrating. Like I said, I am not a quitter but in this case I am feeling very discouraged which is not good so have to close up shop.

lauried15
1/27/16

As a Group Organizer, using Meetup is fine until something goes wrong. You then naturally turn to the Help Center for assistance. The name is a misnomer because, in my experience, you will get a polite message by return, but no useful help or advice. Even on going back and explaining the problem again (and again) does not help - the staff just reiterate the same anodine, unhelpful phrases. Very frustrating and a complete waste of time! The one star is for the politeness of the messages from them Otherwise, it would have been zero!

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

17 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Meetup staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 day ago
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
6/7/16
Answer
jennyb43
A: I too have an extremely hard time connecting with headquarters. Once my meetup group became "one of the most active groups in the world", headquarters started contacting me. Still can't seem to get my pet peaves addressed directly though, so I'd say it's impossible.
3 weeks ago