Review of Meetup

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

dq4
3/18/17

How innocuous is it to have a business that supports group meetups? Then you have to alienate everyone by shoving your rabid (and "rabid" truly is what the behavior is) political ideas down my throat? Meetup is fired. And I can guarantee one thing: I will be dead before I ever participate in that site again.

joannem60
3/14/17

Our weekday hiking group left because of Meetup giving thousands of free sites for opposing our government. Enough said, but we went to GroupSpaces.Com. Free for groups under 50, and you will never pay more than Meetup.

rennas
3/13/17

My complaint is not political.

I thought I might find some useful comments here about the on-going changes that have made Meetup a huge headache: Changes in how people can/can't pay (dumping user-friendly PayPal for weird and pricey WePay, inc. actual manipulation to drive users toward WePay), we can no longer require payment to RSVP (which means lots of no-shows), add pictures, etc. EVERYTHING seems redesigned ONLY with concern for how it looks on a smart-phone, even if function and ease-of-use are lost. And it's IMPOSSIBLE to reach anyone like Customer Service even though I'm paying to do business with Meetup (and have been for over 10 years). I can email questions. MAYBE someone will respond. Eventually. This is unreachability is unique in ANY on-line company I do business with.

All I'm seeing here are complaints about a political stance #Resist that has NEVER showed up on any of my stuff.

Whatever they're about politically, Meetup has become deaf to its customers, remote and out of reach, making changes based on what??? that serve who???

I used to feel like I was really connecting and getting my money's worth as an organizer. The site made sense and was easy to use. Now, every new event posting I add reveals another goofy new glitch. What the heck happened?

luthers15
3/12/17

My local Ayn Rand discussion group cheerfully used Meetup for many years for its convenience. That all changed in February 2017 when Meetup management in New York City decided to turn hard left with its anti-Trump #Resist effort. It would have been fine had they simply offered it as another topic on an equal playing field with all other topics charging the same fees. Instead, they offered "free" #Resist groups globally along with front page advertising, all subsidized by dues from paying groups. The result has been a massive loss of Meetup groups and members. My own core group immediately voted with their feet and left before I could even discuss it with them. We have since moved to the politically neutral and financially free Eventbrite tool for managing our events. Meetup may just go bankrupt because of this huge strategic blunder while deserving it richly. Sad!

Tip for consumers: Avoid this site like the plague! They abuse user fees to finance seditious activities. They betray members who sought a neutral tool to meet others of like mind for mutual enjoyment of shared interests.

pams87
3/6/17

Hacking our accounts....spamming and scamming us. Unacceptable. We joined as paying organizers and now you bring in sponsors to support 1000+ groups with 100's or 1000's of potential non-paying organizers. All to fight everyone and everything that is not radical left wing thinking. Partisan is such a mild , gentle word to describe what meetup is doing. Promoting hatred, anger, and violence. I had a really tough time (as you intended) to close my group. I finally had to delete all members one by one before you gave up on getting a new organizer to lead the group that I organized. It was also a lovely touch to cut off communication with unhappy subscribers. As i said a week ago....Bye Bye Meetup.

lisas383
2/28/17

Staunchly oppose the anti-american, pro-terrorist rhetoric this group espouses. Take it somewhere else.

rogers203
2/27/17

promoting their openly biased political agenda turns me off to no end. will never use their site again. the hate from the progressive left is astonishing. hope their company shrivels up.

kristinr18
2/23/17

Let me first say, I'm not a Trump supporter and his actions make me a bit nervous. Now, while I may not be a big supporter of Trump, I use this as a social site to meet new friends and try new things, not to participate in political activism/protests. If individuals want to create groups to do such things, they should. It's their right and if they believe in it, they should go for it, HOWEVER, I do not like that Meetup is taking sides in the political arena. With creating #resist and sending out that email promoting it, Meetup brought politics and agendas into it's site and it's no longer a neutral party, which made my opinion of it drop about 99%. Meetup, you should have stayed out of politics and kept your neutrality.

howardk22
Howard K.
2/23/17

Meetup lost me forever when they started pushing their own political agenda. My guess is a cash infusion by their liberal backers made it worth it to them to alienate half their users.

kj203
2/23/17

If horrible customer service wasn't bad enough they started pushing their own extreme political agenda. #resist joining this worthless site

jerilync1
2/20/17

Organizer judges your ability after one session. No second chances. Very cliquey and unfriendly. Organizer charged $5 per person, there are at least 20 people there, and courts cost $5!!

christopherp79
2/19/17

I used meetup.com some time back and just returned to kickstart a professional network in my area. However, I was disappointed to see the site actively promoting a political agenda. I'm so weary of corporations attempting to force a liberal ideology on us and have decided to seek alternatives as much as I reasonably can when this happens. Since meetup.com has chosen to promote a ridiculous viewpoint right from the start on its homepage, I no longer have a use for the site's services.

reesem25
2/15/17

I've used meetup.com on and off for many years, but after receiving their #Resist email, I am deleting and encouraging all I know to do the same.

It is obvious to me that Meetup hates our country, our President, and the American people. Their hashtag of #Resist is not only disrespectful to the electoral process and the many, many Americans who voted to put Trump in office, but also insinuates a call to violence. Dispicable, disgusting, and treasonous. I voted for Obama in the last two elections and have identified as Democrat for 15 years, but activities and attitudes such as this have pushed me Right, and I plan never to return to the Democratic Party again.

When will businesses learn that their SMARTEST move is to stay neutral and not alienate half of their customer base?

Additionally, I've used this site on-and-off for years to find hiking groups, and have continually found myself fed up with the pervs using it as a hookup site... thus the on-and-off. Don't waste your time... or money!

js266
2/15/17

I started an account as a way to get people together that might be interested in Toastmasters. Toastmasters clubs can be (ours is anyway) a very diverse group of people with differing opinions. For Meetup to go political (#resist) is very classless. In my opinion, a waste of a good concept. Bye Bye Meetup.

lindaw236
2/15/17

Anti-American rhetoric cannot be tolerated in this nation. Opinions are one thing; encouraging civil unrest and violence are inappropriate. Good-bye before I got started. Anyone want to collaborate to start a decent "meet-up" organization???

lous38
2/15/17

I'm so bummed that the head management at Meetup felt compelled to encourage resist groups in an email to all its members. I'd say 50% of this nation would take exception to that. We voted..that's the way it works. I'm saying goodbye as an organizer and will find another site. I don't want to pay to listen to that B.S.

lenoreo
2/15/17

I didn't join Meetup to hear their political views. Civil unrest, resistance...really Meetup??? Is this what you're offering subscribers? Bad choice for any business to preach their political opinions! Unwise, unprofessional, UNSUBSCRIBE!!

maer15
2/15/17

Capitalist in sheep's clothing LOL. Keep your political opinions to yourself... or not. After all, you are a 4profit company. Want to impress me... donate 30% of your companies income to the homeless. Start a meetup for that. Want my disrespect? You already got that.

richardm236
2/14/17

Yep, on February 13 they insulted half the country for absolutely no purpose. Great job guys! Clearly, only certain kinds of people are welcome.

donnad94
2/14/17

MeetUp just snubbed half of the country and half of their users in one fell swoop. MeetUp is promoting civil unrest and is spreading false news via email to it's members and organizers. Additionally, blatantly favoring one political party by giving them free membership for the left-wing, divisive meetup groups only. I had 2 faith-based groups and several of my friends are also organizers. After contacting all my members, I closed my accounts. Most of my friends are preparing to do the same.

cynthiam97
2/14/17

Yep we all know that they were the instigators that went to Lois Lerner in the IRS and squealed on tea party people the weasels that they are. Meet up has always been a creepy organization with bad customer service and now for them to be pushing the resist movement and did you adamantly trying to overthrow our government this organization needs to be tried fir Sedition and jailed. Bye bye Brendin McGovern, Glusman and Atkins. The people are too smart for your manipulative moves! Instigating unrest in this country unnecessarily and for no reason other than the fact that you can't handle that you lost the election. Go back to kindergarten and learn how to lose like an adult. This is a democracy and you lost. Get it?

janinew10
2/14/17

I've often touted Meetup as the best thing since pockets. Not anymore This is absurd that they would promote RESISTing anything and for free?! I hope people do leave. I just did!

curtisk17
2/14/17

Anyone can easily join a resist site
Anyone can easily cancel their meetings
Anyone can easily leave the group.

in that order...............

nickb106
2/14/17

You can use facebook groups to manage your group/club/meetup for free. No need to pay $20/mo to subsidize meetup.com's political agenda. #resist meetup.com

jony29
2/14/17

I did not join Meetup to see your political nonsense. Cease and desist or you will lose the majority of your members and maybe the whole website. Meetup is supposed to be a fun way to meet people of similar interests - not to serve your political interests. Grow up!

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

28 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Meetup staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question