Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

johnh1434
6/5/18

Since changing the interface, it is very difficult to figure out where the meetup will be and what time the event is. Meetup no longer has any technical support whatsoever. If you call their number, it gives you an email address for urgent billing issues only. They will ignore any emails that are not specifically "urgent billing" issues. For all other support, they direct you to their help page, which is basically no help at all, and I have never found a single answer to any question I have had.
Was an organizer for over 3 years, but have finally decided that and email/SMS list is far superior to what meetup.com com provides, especially considering how expensive the site is.

Tip for consumers: Your better off using almost any other platform for organizing events.

jasonr284
6/4/18

Feel smart, now? :-)

And people.....join my FB page, " Meetup.com is a scam site "!

Tip for consumers: Meetup sucks small unwashed Libertard weenie.

terryr133
5/31/18

Web site is hard to maneuver no real help unless your signed in etc and have to put in password too often...no real help from the managers of the site.

kayej4
5/15/18

If you want to create a new group they'll take your money but getting the page working & expecting support is another thing - they have absolutely no customer support. Absolutely infuriating.

cilip
Cili P.
5/11/18

Sigh. I thought, naively, that Meetup would take up where other social media platforms left off, but it's essentially become another Twitter platform. While it was created originally to facilitate face to face, real time meetings, it appears as yet another, tired, on-line space that is as vacuous as all the rest.

Here's an article that may shed light on where this is going. https://www.wired.com/story/why-wework-is-buying-meetup/

conniee6
5/7/18

In my particular area I love the meet-up groups. It has really broadened my social life and it's a great way to meet people. Of course I'm selective as to which meet- up sites I like. You have to find the people that are compatible with you.

joiel2
5/5/18

One day, emails from Organizers to members just stopped being delivered. Instead of telling Organizers and Members by posting something on social media, they let organizers spin their wheels for 2-3 days before admitting their email deliverability had been compromised. After 4 days it's still not fixed, and I doubt it ever will be. I have a feeling this has been going on for a very long time and Organizers are just now figuring it out. I knew something was strange when, a few weeks ago, I posted an event that got about 40 people the first time it was held. The second time I posted it was over 2 months later. It received 1 sign-up. That;s ridiculous. I honestly believe they've been tinkering with their email servers to suppress emails. They're slowly taking away all useful functionality in preparation for something while at the same time stealing Organizer dues. They're grifting people at this point.

odileb
5/3/18

Confusing new interface doesn't allow one to just search for what you want. Page organization is also confusing, and suggests other groups which appear to be events related to the group you thought you landed on in the first place. Many groups are suggested, but are totally out-of-date. IMO, no group should appear on Meet-Up that hasn't had an event in 6 months. So many defunct groups now. It's also less clear how to add group profile info, which makes is boring because nobody has a profile. My biggest pet peeve, group organizers that don't fill in their own profile info. Moving on from MeetUp.

henris12
4/27/18

Being a member for one year I came to the conclusion that meetup ain't what it used to be. A social network for like minded people. Sadly it started after the website changed their layout. Also by coincidence more and more groups got infiltrated by non serious members. Meetups where you can practice a foreign language or discuss a book dried up because some members visited for reasons best left unnoticed. My Gf and me both very socializing people got into a situation where another member was pushing himself towards her. Not a nice experience. The leader just solved the case by telling us we were extremely worrying people. Never mind in the beginning it was nice. Now we say avoid

rw96
4/26/18

No response to issues. If there is an issue your intellectual property is at risk as Meetup.com does nothing to fix an issue. FAIL! No Customer Service.

The concept is great but execution is dismal!

franm29
4/25/18

If there was another way to organize my teams activities, I would jump ship in a heartbeat !
As an Organizer, it has become increasingly more difficult to work with the "upgrades" that they`re trying to implement in order to have a unified operating system between the desktop and mobile environments. The upgrades have become so buggy that on any given day, fields disappear, information in fields is not populated correctly or disappears, previews or drafts of scheduled meetups launch themselves without the Organizer having to select schedule or publish, Comment Notifications from team members to the Organizer works intermittently. The Location function was not working properly today (4/25/2018) when I tried to schedule an event and the list of goes on and on. In light of the fact that the company charges $180/year to use their SaaS, it is definitely not worth it.

robinh173
4/14/18

It used to be great, but the new website is infuriating. It's just so much less informative and with so much more blank white space than the old one. Doing my best to move my members off meetup now so I can one day rely on another platform.

johnm1351
4/8/18

Love the idea of having website functionality to help manage and inform a group without being a web designer. Meetup could be awesome. Instead, it has been one of the worst experiences with any company for me.

First, their customer service is non-existent. I tried to contact them on multiple occasions for various issues such as having a very strange URL assigned to our group and also billing questions. No response, until the 3rd attempt. and that response was basically, 'tough, deal with it'.

Second, I cancelled my meetup membership after 2 months because it just wasn't working for the group and I decided to go back to using a website. Apparently, the membership canceling process was ignored or didn't work. They billed me for 2 additional month despite me removing my credit card information from the site. (this is when I received the 'tough,deal with it answer'.

Third, apparently the new UI defeatured the site. It is really not functional at least for our group. You can only post pictures. Navigation is awkward at best. It seems like a UI from about 2003. Just not good.

michaelp404
4/8/18

Is it me or is meet up.com becoming a platform for yuppies that live in individual safe spaces and jam radical left wing politics down our throats. I'm having a harder time trying to find a "normal" group that simply likes to play poker, go bowling, play pool or just have drinks and talk about life. If meet up.com can be brought back down to earth that would help a lot!!!!!!!

johns2406
3/29/18

THE NEW DESIGN SUCKS IN ALL REGARDS. What the hell are these people thinking?? HOW MANY TIMES MUST I CLICK ON THE LOGIN LINK TO LOGIN??????????????????
The website is seriously hard to navigate because it slow and clunky as heck. The design sucks. Half the time, I have no idea where I am or how to navigate the site because the design and functionality sucks so bad and slow. Shame. If I designed something like this at work, I would be fired.

karenf153
3/28/18
• Updated review

Do not give this company a dime. They've stripped organizers ability to communicate with members. I just lost $200 in a deposit fee because my email messages to members about an upcoming athletic event I'd planned. I've spoken to members via direct email and every single one of them said they did not receive any emails from me, nor did they see any notifications about the event. Fraud.

“Time to start thinking about a class action lawsuit”
3/21/18
• Previous review

Meetup has hit rock bottom as far as delivering advertised services. The app is unusable; organizers have no way to communicate with their members as messages are being throttled by an algorithm Meetup implemented in the hopes of cutting down their spam problem (laughable);the site redesign has made it exponentially more difficult for members to navigate and find groups; RSVPs and event attendance have plummeted; customer support is now a chat-bot feature that can't interpret specific questions and takes the member/organizer around and around in circles. Meetup has willfully ignored the outcry from its paying members to fix the dreadful redesign. It's time for a lawyer to get involved. Meetup is taking money with the intention of misleading Organizers, knowing they can no longer provide them with the reach and functionality they once offered.

chilim
3/22/18

Do not waste your money in this company. The concept is good but the service is bad. People join your group but, the website is very limited to communicate properly with your audience and it is even worst to get help from the Meetup Team.

It is very frustrating. They get your money then after that - goodbye. They don't need you anymore. https://www.meetup.com/

There tons of complaints all over the internet

armstrongl1
3/19/18

still send me emails though i deactivated them......................................................................................................................................................................

trishao4
3/17/18

This is the 2nd time that I have listed a meetup page. I figured when no one who joined ever RSVPd for the 1st one that no one was into it. But why join then? So I deleted it and meetup played their game of taking my money after telling me first you have to try and get someone to take over. Um, really?? It finally got deleted. Here it is year or more later, totally different meetup,29 people join...not a single one RSVPs for what I scheduled. Smh. I started looking at others...funny thing, no one was going theirs either. So who is maintaining meetup.com? I think it must be nobody and the system is not working. Why would people join groups and not show up? I sent welcome emails...I got 1 response. Really? I started a discussion. No one joined in. Does this not seem a bit odd? I think its very odd. Then reading other reviews adds to it. Does anyone know a class action lawyer? I bet they can contact meetup employees who are hiding from us so that we cant get any help.

excelsiorl
3/13/18

The people running Meetup and taking IT decisions are as incompetent as they come... They roll out idiotic changes... and today, 3 of my co-organizers were DELETED by their system.... Not sure how many people got the same treatment but this is NOT ACCEPTABLE... Lucky for me, my renewal was due for March 19th... Which I cancelled... And I sent an email to all my members to contact me directly to my email, I will just make a website that will support our group.

lindac354
3/13/18

Okay. So I did call WeWork. Apparently Meetup is still running Meetup! So I don't know what happened to them, why they do not reply to any support messages or what's wrong with their site.

peterj176
3/10/18

Meetup should be apologizing and OWNING UP to its paying customers for the disastrous job in executing integration of its new, very unstable, platform that is causing organizers like me almost more trouble than its worth.

juliac87
3/8/18

Worst thing that ever happened to meet up. It takes ages to do anything. And then it simply can't do others. I hate it.

kathleenf46
3/5/18
• Updated review

I wrote a very negative review of MeetUp a while back but am happy to report that the new owners are finally starting to get their act together. It's not perfect but I find that response time and accuracy is faster and better now. I can now access the calendar more easily. And there is now a way to note that guests attended (though it is tricky to find where - click on the host's info to change the number of guests).

“What is the alternative to MeetUp?!”
2/4/18
• Previous review

Every "improvement" has made a great site worse. The alternatives I have found are not promising. Any suggestions?!

Tip for consumers: Beware, new Organizers!!

adamc147
3/4/18

Terrible UI changes. I use the calendar the most frequently to schedule events. For some reason they now hide the calendar and make it extremely difficult to find. I want to see a month's calendar.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

All Meetup has now is a database of names and a reasonably efficient way of routing new members to your group. But the tools for organizers are wretched and, by design, have gotten worse. This is the only company I've ever seen that doesn't care what the application users, in particular the organizers, want and need. The list of bad changes is very long--and they don't give a damn. And to add insult to injury, they are inept at application development and coding. They pushed out what might be laughably called alpha code and then scrambled to fix issues, saying "it was a work in progress." A major software release should not be a work in progress. Without comment, they remove functionality. For instance, when asked why they removed the ability to post a note on the calendar, their answer was that "only 3% use the feature. So what--now only 3% are pissed? leaving the feature cost them nothing. I evaluated software from Microsoft and others for a living. Meetup by far is the worst I have ever seen. The "show runners" should be fired and given bad recommendations. And when a competitor comes along that is competent and cares about its users, Meetup will disappear and we'll all celebrate. The organizers en masse don't just dislike the app, they dislike the folks responsible for the mess that Meetup has created.

By John E.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup