Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

robinh173
4/14/18

It used to be great, but the new website is infuriating. It's just so much less informative and with so much more blank white space than the old one. Doing my best to move my members off meetup now so I can one day rely on another platform.

johnm1351
4/8/18

Love the idea of having website functionality to help manage and inform a group without being a web designer. Meetup could be awesome. Instead, it has been one of the worst experiences with any company for me.

First, their customer service is non-existent. I tried to contact them on multiple occasions for various issues such as having a very strange URL assigned to our group and also billing questions. No response, until the 3rd attempt. and that response was basically, 'tough, deal with it'.

Second, I cancelled my meetup membership after 2 months because it just wasn't working for the group and I decided to go back to using a website. Apparently, the membership canceling process was ignored or didn't work. They billed me for 2 additional month despite me removing my credit card information from the site. (this is when I received the 'tough,deal with it answer'.

Third, apparently the new UI defeatured the site. It is really not functional at least for our group. You can only post pictures. Navigation is awkward at best. It seems like a UI from about 2003. Just not good.

michaelp404
4/8/18

Is it me or is meet up.com becoming a platform for yuppies that live in individual safe spaces and jam radical left wing politics down our throats. I'm having a harder time trying to find a "normal" group that simply likes to play poker, go bowling, play pool or just have drinks and talk about life. If meet up.com can be brought back down to earth that would help a lot!!!!!!!

johns2406
3/29/18

THE NEW DESIGN SUCKS IN ALL REGARDS. What the hell are these people thinking?? HOW MANY TIMES MUST I CLICK ON THE LOGIN LINK TO LOGIN??????????????????
The website is seriously hard to navigate because it slow and clunky as heck. The design sucks. Half the time, I have no idea where I am or how to navigate the site because the design and functionality sucks so bad and slow. Shame. If I designed something like this at work, I would be fired.

karenf153
3/28/18
• Updated review

Do not give this company a dime. They've stripped organizers ability to communicate with members. I just lost $200 in a deposit fee because my email messages to members about an upcoming athletic event I'd planned. I've spoken to members via direct email and every single one of them said they did not receive any emails from me, nor did they see any notifications about the event. Fraud.

“Time to start thinking about a class action lawsuit”
3/21/18
• Previous review

Meetup has hit rock bottom as far as delivering advertised services. The app is unusable; organizers have no way to communicate with their members as messages are being throttled by an algorithm Meetup implemented in the hopes of cutting down their spam problem (laughable);the site redesign has made it exponentially more difficult for members to navigate and find groups; RSVPs and event attendance have plummeted; customer support is now a chat-bot feature that can't interpret specific questions and takes the member/organizer around and around in circles. Meetup has willfully ignored the outcry from its paying members to fix the dreadful redesign. It's time for a lawyer to get involved. Meetup is taking money with the intention of misleading Organizers, knowing they can no longer provide them with the reach and functionality they once offered.

chilim
3/22/18

Do not waste your money in this company. The concept is good but the service is bad. People join your group but, the website is very limited to communicate properly with your audience and it is even worst to get help from the Meetup Team.

It is very frustrating. They get your money then after that - goodbye. They don't need you anymore. https://www.meetup.com/

There tons of complaints all over the internet

armstrongl1
3/19/18

still send me emails though i deactivated them......................................................................................................................................................................

trishao4
3/17/18

This is the 2nd time that I have listed a meetup page. I figured when no one who joined ever RSVPd for the 1st one that no one was into it. But why join then? So I deleted it and meetup played their game of taking my money after telling me first you have to try and get someone to take over. Um, really?? It finally got deleted. Here it is year or more later, totally different meetup,29 people join...not a single one RSVPs for what I scheduled. Smh. I started looking at others...funny thing, no one was going theirs either. So who is maintaining meetup.com? I think it must be nobody and the system is not working. Why would people join groups and not show up? I sent welcome emails...I got 1 response. Really? I started a discussion. No one joined in. Does this not seem a bit odd? I think its very odd. Then reading other reviews adds to it. Does anyone know a class action lawyer? I bet they can contact meetup employees who are hiding from us so that we cant get any help.

excelsiorl
3/13/18

The people running Meetup and taking IT decisions are as incompetent as they come... They roll out idiotic changes... and today, 3 of my co-organizers were DELETED by their system.... Not sure how many people got the same treatment but this is NOT ACCEPTABLE... Lucky for me, my renewal was due for March 19th... Which I cancelled... And I sent an email to all my members to contact me directly to my email, I will just make a website that will support our group.

lindac354
3/13/18

Okay. So I did call WeWork. Apparently Meetup is still running Meetup! So I don't know what happened to them, why they do not reply to any support messages or what's wrong with their site.

peterj176
3/10/18

Meetup should be apologizing and OWNING UP to its paying customers for the disastrous job in executing integration of its new, very unstable, platform that is causing organizers like me almost more trouble than its worth.

juliac87
3/8/18

Worst thing that ever happened to meet up. It takes ages to do anything. And then it simply can't do others. I hate it.

kathleenf46
3/5/18
• Updated review

I wrote a very negative review of MeetUp a while back but am happy to report that the new owners are finally starting to get their act together. It's not perfect but I find that response time and accuracy is faster and better now. I can now access the calendar more easily. And there is now a way to note that guests attended (though it is tricky to find where - click on the host's info to change the number of guests).

“What is the alternative to MeetUp?!”
2/4/18
• Previous review

Every "improvement" has made a great site worse. The alternatives I have found are not promising. Any suggestions?!

Tip for consumers: Beware, new Organizers!!

adamc147
3/4/18

Terrible UI changes. I use the calendar the most frequently to schedule events. For some reason they now hide the calendar and make it extremely difficult to find. I want to see a month's calendar.

johnm1315
3/3/18

I've been using meetup for almost 5 years and the newest updates are just awful. I cannot find where to schedule a meetup on the iOS apps and it is very hard to find on their web interface.

In addition, the old web interface allowed one to schedule a recurring meetup with a specified end date, e.g. meet every Wednesday for 3 months. I cannot find that functionality on then new web interface.

Finally, meetup has removed or effectively buried any means of communicating with them directly about these issues.

We have a 1,000 person group and are looking for an alternative.

julias127
3/2/18

I have been an organizer with several groups for the past 5 years. I am not tech savvy at all, so I have always appreciated the ease of use of the old design. This new design is a complete mess. Nothing about it is intuitive or user friendly, for organizers or event attendees. It is disappointed to see how many co-organizers are leaving our groups because of the recent change in meetup management.

jessicas342
2/27/18

I simply can't commit my hard earned money to pay for the treatment I'm receiving from Meetup. I have many happy memories and nostalgia from groups over the years, but I'm afraid that can't sustain the neglect that I'm receiving as a paying customer. I hope that it will somehow be restored to its former glory, but I'm worried that we might all have to find a new platform. Goodbye, Meetup, I'll miss you!

ericn46
2/26/18

10 years+ paying member here. I wish I could give zero stars. I can't believe what they did to our meetup group site. It was so much better before they changed around Dec 2017. Their iPhone app is pretty bad too. Meetup.com is a great idea, and used to work to bring people together despite being super expensive. Now it is just awful to navigate and so much simple functionality has been lost or obfuscated. For what it costs me, I wish they would simply roll back!

martinj65
2/23/18

Meetup remains a wonderful idea for bringing together like-minded people. Unfortunately, the new web page and its tools for scheduling Meetup events are dreadful. The old system was fine and very easy to use. Like so many other businesses, Meetup has 'thrown the baby out with the bathwater'! A couple of updates and a bit of adjustment would have helped but Meetup techies have abandoned the old web page completely and come up with something which is far from user friendly and has made it much more difficult to schedule and amend events.
The only redeeming feature is that, in order to charge money for an event, you can transfer to the old page!

roberte118
2/21/18

I joined a local Atheist group Meetup. The group has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism but radical left wing politics. I consider myself a political centrist and these people only organized activity against the Republican party. Many were so radical left that I don't think that they are measurable on any political spectrum.

Their Mission Statement about exclusiveness as bull.

haroldk26
2/19/18

Organizers pay for the service. Meetup consistently ignores complaints from organizers and rolled out a half-baked redesign missing some major features that organized organizers relied upon.... such as marking no shows on attendance and pinning a precise location on the map. The latter is especially critical for groups that don't meet at a place with an address, such as a trail head for a hike, a put-in for a kayaking event, etc.

Tip for consumers: Since I originally wrote this, I have found a great alternative: https://groups.place

alexd170
2/18/18

There was a time when Meetup was about facilitating meeting like-minded individuals. From 2007 until about 2015, I greatly enjoyed using both the site and going to meetups regularly, and more recently was a paid member hosting my own meetup group.

Sadly, things appear to have taken a turn for the worse. As of 2018, the website's usability is poor. In the interface, there is a lack of feedback and consistency when performing basic actions such as joining a group. How do I browse meetups by category? Is it even possible to do that?

Perhaps more concerning is the company's decision in 2017 to support political activism in the form of the #Resist movement. Personally, I have no strong opinion about American politics in general, nor about Donald Trump. For this reason, I resent the idea that a company uses its international members' fees to support grassroots political activism. In conclusion, I have decided that Meetup shall no longer be receiving my money. In my opinion, the company needs to grow up a little and act with greater professional integrity.

tonyv37
2/17/18

Meetup.com tried to bill me twice for a 6-month renewal. When I would not pay twice, they cancelled my subscription. I filed a claim with my bank for a refund, but my bank says Meetup does not even reply. WeWork overpaid $200 million for a sinking ship and is now so desperate it allows Meetup to steal subscribers money.

tanyap26
2/12/18

The website is now non functioning, it's in the old and the new platforms at the same time. But you can not tell which parts of the site works or doesn't work, until you spend too much time fumbling around. What a shame.

I contacted them with my complaint, however no response. I was hoping they would respond and say "our ETA for new platform is ?" or something that would let you know that this is a priority to them .. FIXING THIS PROBLEM.

Its all good that I have heard nothing from them. I will be looking for a new service. Even if a lose a few, its still better that working with a company that does not respond. I take a 'no response' as a F--k You to a customer.

Only a matter of time. I'm out.

sharonz6
2/10/18

That said, I am not an organizer and maybe I owe the organizers of the groups I am in a multitude of thanks. I had organizing my social events and the organizers do it for me! I'd be a recluse without it! I am in a fitness group, a music group and a volunteer and nature group. Love MeetUp. I haven't really thought that there are someones at a higher level who might be making it difficult for the organizers. I haven't heard that. I am a five star reviewer for the benefit from Meetup that I have received.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup