Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

alinat17
8/10/18

Meetup should allow new attendees to any function a Courtesy of no charge on first time to see if they are at all interested. The purpose is combine what is being presented with opportunity to meet soul that resonates with one's mind pattern and soul frequency. Otherwise, please know that for instance with meditations, youtube provides guided meditations and wonderful other instruct construct scenarios....please give functions without fees and a lot more response-on first time. Also location should not have lumped Naples with Fort Myers area-too far to travel.

christopherb325
8/8/18

What good is a Meetup site that doesn't recognise your perfectly valid locations for a Meetup, or provide any help to add a new location, or even just enforce one if the Meetup site doesn't recognise it itself. It's just become pointless. The whole layout is shoddy and clunky.

celestinef1
8/5/18

I ran a very popular Meetup group for 2 years. I invested a lot of time organising the meetings, findings venues, communicating with my group. Then with minimal warning Meetup shut down my group. When I complained they did not respond at all. I don't actually think there is any customer services there. It is run by an algorithm and an automated service. I was paying for this service - i was a CUSTOMER and yet this was the way they treated me. Meetup was taken over by WeWork in the end of 2017. I think WeWork has a very different agenda to the original Meetup. The most important thing to remember is that when something goes wrong Meetup is COMPLETELY unresponsive. you can send any number of emails to their support address and they will just ignore you.... Oh and then the final irony, a week later it sends you an automated survey 'How did we do???' You didn't! You didn't do anything!
Be aware if you are considering investing your time and money into creating a group. There is a HUGE risk that Meetup will just wipe it all out at the press of a button - and that will be the end of it. Meetup is 'tech arrogance' at its worst.

sarias
7/30/18

web logins dont work; terrible and shockingly poor. no point trying to sign up and use meetup when you can't even login easily or join groups. lol

jays346
7/27/18

Meetup should reduce their cost. Even consider make it free. They don't provide any services and their (IT) platform is so poorly made it is shocking.

roberti58
7/9/18

This is a horrible site. I must have been asked to login at least twenty plus times in less than a hour. I can't even respond to a message that was sent to me. I'm told I have to be a member to reply - WHICH I AM. Not sure this is worth my time and effort.

lisad442
7/9/18

Ive had experiences with meetup too! First they charge a lot to start a group but also they took away all my members when I wanted to charge monthly fees and charge my members the monthly fee only if they decided to attend a meetup, but they changed that! Now my pending members were all deleted and I would have to contact all them one by one! It's horrible only left with less than 100 members when I had over 1000! Meetup really does not want us to have members! They are greedy! Hopefully they will change it back to where it was or I may be leaving meetup for something better!

colleenk50
7/7/18

Nothing is user friendly and drop down boxes don't work for fields where "information is required."
Maybe they are frustrating us to the point of signing up with their own venues which... surprise...they charge for.

sallyn31
7/5/18

I decided to organize a music group and paid $19 one week later, I'm still waiting for it to be approved and available to the public. Of course my subscription will be running out around the time it gets any publicity. What a waste!

alexg256
7/3/18

I was so hopeful when I discovered their site. I'm in a rural area, and I wanted to design a meetup group. The company charged me $60, then rejected my group!
They said I would get a refund, and that never happened!
There is NO customer service, not even an email address, so I have to dispute the charges with my credit card company.
Be smart, stay away from this scam of a website.

marshas68
6/23/18

One of your groups, Fun over Fifty in louisville KY needs to be heavily supervised as the organizer appears to suffer from mental illness. She "fell in love" with a new member, but kicked him out when he did not return her affection. Then she kicked out those who supported him and those who supported the supporters! She also will not return dues paid by members she has blocked

tl100
6/20/18

I'm surprised all these reviews are on the functionality of the meetup website and bad customer service for meetup organizers. I'm writing from the perspective of a longtime meetup attendee, though I've never been an organizer.

Meetups in my area attract a specific type of people - well-educated, bougie, liberal, hipster, tech bro/girl, clique-ish, stuckup, exclusionary. If you don't seem to fit into their subcultures (even if you do), you'll be ignored and rejected to death at meetups. Going there is totally useless, and you'll be hurt because you try hard to socialize, be nice, make friends, network - but no one wants anything to do with you. I always see other people exchanging contact info at meetups - but I'm just ignored. Once in a while, people might chat with me briefly, and then fail to exchange contact info - they want nothing to do with me anymore. Meetup organizers are unfriendly, just in their cliques as well. In SF, a large number of Meetups are advertising vehicles for cool Millenial startups, like those data classes.

In short - if you're popular overall, like in school and the workplace - you'll make plenty of good friends and connections at meetups, and may find dates and even a significant other. However, if you're someone who's generally disliked and looked down on everywhere - ugly looks, heavyset, scared, awkward, appears weird to others, undesirable ethnicity - combination of some of those factors - then meetups are completely useless - you'll just be hurt to death by the all-out exclusion, ignoring, fail to follow up, ghosting, cruelty, and judgmental attitudes towards you.

Total fail. -10000 stars.

Tip for consumers: Meetups are a great way to make friends or find a significant other for popular, attractive white people. Terrible and useless for people who are unfairly judged and excluded everywhere, i.e., ugly, Asian, awkward, etc.

kaih28
6/20/18

Joined less than 6 months ago and have yet to havw a positive experience with meet up. They charge an insane amount of money and cant even help me sort out the reason why my members werent getting messages sent out to them. I hate meetup.com and would NEVER recommend anyone to use this website. Save your money.

cindyf120
6/8/18

leader contradicts guidelines; threatens people with 'no show' kicked out even when she could not make events. Going to meetup website to report basically futile despite showing emails alleging my name was affiliated with sexual content which I knew nothing abut; Another member claimed since joining meetup she was exposed to sexual email.

johnh1434
6/5/18

Since changing the interface, it is very difficult to figure out where the meetup will be and what time the event is. Meetup no longer has any technical support whatsoever. If you call their number, it gives you an email address for urgent billing issues only. They will ignore any emails that are not specifically "urgent billing" issues. For all other support, they direct you to their help page, which is basically no help at all, and I have never found a single answer to any question I have had.
Was an organizer for over 3 years, but have finally decided that and email/SMS list is far superior to what meetup.com com provides, especially considering how expensive the site is.

Tip for consumers: Your better off using almost any other platform for organizing events.

jasonr284
6/4/18

Feel smart, now? :-)

And people.....join my FB page, " Meetup.com is a scam site "!

Tip for consumers: Meetup sucks small unwashed Libertard weenie.

terryr133
5/31/18

Web site is hard to maneuver no real help unless your signed in etc and have to put in password too often...no real help from the managers of the site.

kayej4
5/15/18

If you want to create a new group they'll take your money but getting the page working & expecting support is another thing - they have absolutely no customer support. Absolutely infuriating.

cilip
Cili P.
5/11/18

Sigh. I thought, naively, that Meetup would take up where other social media platforms left off, but it's essentially become another Twitter platform. While it was created originally to facilitate face to face, real time meetings, it appears as yet another, tired, on-line space that is as vacuous as all the rest.

Here's an article that may shed light on where this is going. https://www.wired.com/story/why-wework-is-buying-meetup/

conniee6
5/7/18

In my particular area I love the meet-up groups. It has really broadened my social life and it's a great way to meet people. Of course I'm selective as to which meet- up sites I like. You have to find the people that are compatible with you.

joiel2
5/5/18

One day, emails from Organizers to members just stopped being delivered. Instead of telling Organizers and Members by posting something on social media, they let organizers spin their wheels for 2-3 days before admitting their email deliverability had been compromised. After 4 days it's still not fixed, and I doubt it ever will be. I have a feeling this has been going on for a very long time and Organizers are just now figuring it out. I knew something was strange when, a few weeks ago, I posted an event that got about 40 people the first time it was held. The second time I posted it was over 2 months later. It received 1 sign-up. That;s ridiculous. I honestly believe they've been tinkering with their email servers to suppress emails. They're slowly taking away all useful functionality in preparation for something while at the same time stealing Organizer dues. They're grifting people at this point.

odileb
5/3/18

Confusing new interface doesn't allow one to just search for what you want. Page organization is also confusing, and suggests other groups which appear to be events related to the group you thought you landed on in the first place. Many groups are suggested, but are totally out-of-date. IMO, no group should appear on Meet-Up that hasn't had an event in 6 months. So many defunct groups now. It's also less clear how to add group profile info, which makes is boring because nobody has a profile. My biggest pet peeve, group organizers that don't fill in their own profile info. Moving on from MeetUp.

henris12
4/27/18

Being a member for one year I came to the conclusion that meetup ain't what it used to be. A social network for like minded people. Sadly it started after the website changed their layout. Also by coincidence more and more groups got infiltrated by non serious members. Meetups where you can practice a foreign language or discuss a book dried up because some members visited for reasons best left unnoticed. My Gf and me both very socializing people got into a situation where another member was pushing himself towards her. Not a nice experience. The leader just solved the case by telling us we were extremely worrying people. Never mind in the beginning it was nice. Now we say avoid

rw96
4/26/18

No response to issues. If there is an issue your intellectual property is at risk as Meetup.com does nothing to fix an issue. FAIL! No Customer Service.

The concept is great but execution is dismal!

franm29
4/25/18

If there was another way to organize my teams activities, I would jump ship in a heartbeat !
As an Organizer, it has become increasingly more difficult to work with the "upgrades" that they`re trying to implement in order to have a unified operating system between the desktop and mobile environments. The upgrades have become so buggy that on any given day, fields disappear, information in fields is not populated correctly or disappears, previews or drafts of scheduled meetups launch themselves without the Organizer having to select schedule or publish, Comment Notifications from team members to the Organizer works intermittently. The Location function was not working properly today (4/25/2018) when I tried to schedule an event and the list of goes on and on. In light of the fact that the company charges $180/year to use their SaaS, it is definitely not worth it.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup