Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

leapsterl
11/11/18

I organized a meetup 3 years ago , and my hosts stole it from me , when i contacted meetup they werent cooperative so i will take legal approach

The meetup has overall 80% bad quality , ran by bunch of thieves who didn't do the work themselves and stole it from the original founder

overall its a no go

teeb22
11/9/18

The first thing I understood after joining Meetup.com is that many of the groups are exclusionary. It just doesn't separate by interests, such as playing a musical instrument, or a writers group, that makes sense, But often groups set about having people join that are exactly like them, certain age, a certain gender, a certain ethnicity, a certain race, a certain religion, etc. How else will we get to know one another. I've gone on walking group meetups where there are almost 100 people and no one talks to each other. They just walk. I tried striking up a conversation on several occasions to no avail. I went to a some movie and lunch or dinner meetups, no one seems to have an interest of getting together outside that particular event. It's kind of sad that people don't want to be around other people who are not exactly like them by race, religion, etc. I guess that's the condition of our country.

garyj129
11/6/18

I signed up to create a meetup group over the weekend. Nothing risque. Nothing shady. Just a group to enable people and business owners to develop and maintain a WordPress site. Before I could even announce my first meetup, I got an email stating that my group had been cancelled. Granted, I did plan on coming back to add more details to my profile. According to the email I received, my group "wasn't a fit" for meetup. No specific reason. Just a link to their terms page. Also that it would take 4-7 days to refund my money. Hogwash. If they have the time to review every new group, then they can reach out to new members to correct the issues before cancelling their group and making them wait 4-7 business days to refund their money.

tm205
10/20/18

Las Vegas Modeling and Photography....I didn't know it was going to be handled like a professional business as it is only a meetup to help teach, educate, and meet other people in this. The organizer, Gia, seems to be a bit too forward with people if any issues having certain people photos that they like as their favorites same to her photographers but doesn't seem to be fair and reasonable. She tells me after I realized my single photo wasn't out there that this is the way it operates in the industry whether I like it or not, the way she is putting it. Now her last comment back to me was 'no one asked me to come to this' as it only is where anyone can come to this to see if it's a good fit or good group. I"m shocked of her taking charge how she handles customers coming in. Not sure if she's been doing this in charge thing for long or not. She has two other assistance on this program assisting her.

annas355
10/4/18

They sell your information to 3rd party companies. Right now I have BMI stalking my phone and they said they got my information from Meetup. Sorry BMI and Meetup.. I already have the music licenses I need.

belindas45
9/29/18

Believe it or not I find customer service to be excellent. The secret is I tweet any problem on Meetup Support's Twitter page and I get very prompt assistance. I highly recommend this approach if you get no response when you email support@meetup.com

maiaras
9/19/18

None customer service support. Impossible to cancel. Until for reset the password it's a problem. No phone number to call. The only email that I find in the web site they sent me this answer -"Yikes! It looks like you replied to a notification from info@meetup.com.
Unfortunately, replies to this email address are routed to an unmonitored mailbox, and no one will read them." No one will read them?? Such it a disrespectful answer

marthaw79
9/15/18

"Waste Of Time" if you are starting a new group. Had over two hundred members, arranged three public meetings in restaurants, not one person came, despite a few responses, over two years. I wrote again and again to my member list, sent "love" messages of thanks to everyone who joined - NADA. Remember: that's with more than two hundred people who signed up. Trying to end the subscription now and have to go through many hoops to do so. I feel like I'm in Meetup purgatory. (I think it's fine if you ALREADY have a steady, loyal group that has been meeting for a while and just want to possibly get new members. Wish I could take back my time and money. Zilch results for me.

namratak
8/17/18

They have made it extremely difficult to cancel subscriptions. You are billed even after cancelling a subscription.

sarahf210
8/13/18

I met the most $#*!tyiest people while attending these groups people are very rude and unsociable and kick you off the group for their enjoyment the four years I was there , I was glad to give it up and go to other groups I wouldn't recommend them as they also money grab you all the time and if you don't do what they want or meet their expectations they then remove you from the group, nasty people !

jimc439
8/13/18

alinat17
8/10/18

Meetup should allow new attendees to any function a Courtesy of no charge on first time to see if they are at all interested. The purpose is combine what is being presented with opportunity to meet soul that resonates with one's mind pattern and soul frequency. Otherwise, please know that for instance with meditations, youtube provides guided meditations and wonderful other instruct construct scenarios....please give functions without fees and a lot more response-on first time. Also location should not have lumped Naples with Fort Myers area-too far to travel.

christopherb325
8/8/18

What good is a Meetup site that doesn't recognise your perfectly valid locations for a Meetup, or provide any help to add a new location, or even just enforce one if the Meetup site doesn't recognise it itself. It's just become pointless. The whole layout is shoddy and clunky.

celestinef1
8/5/18

I ran a very popular Meetup group for 2 years. I invested a lot of time organising the meetings, findings venues, communicating with my group. Then with minimal warning Meetup shut down my group. When I complained they did not respond at all. I don't actually think there is any customer services there. It is run by an algorithm and an automated service. I was paying for this service - i was a CUSTOMER and yet this was the way they treated me. Meetup was taken over by WeWork in the end of 2017. I think WeWork has a very different agenda to the original Meetup. The most important thing to remember is that when something goes wrong Meetup is COMPLETELY unresponsive. you can send any number of emails to their support address and they will just ignore you.... Oh and then the final irony, a week later it sends you an automated survey 'How did we do???' You didn't! You didn't do anything!
Be aware if you are considering investing your time and money into creating a group. There is a HUGE risk that Meetup will just wipe it all out at the press of a button - and that will be the end of it. Meetup is 'tech arrogance' at its worst.

sarias
7/30/18

web logins dont work; terrible and shockingly poor. no point trying to sign up and use meetup when you can't even login easily or join groups. lol

jays346
7/27/18

Meetup should reduce their cost. Even consider make it free. They don't provide any services and their (IT) platform is so poorly made it is shocking.

roberti58
7/9/18

This is a horrible site. I must have been asked to login at least twenty plus times in less than a hour. I can't even respond to a message that was sent to me. I'm told I have to be a member to reply - WHICH I AM. Not sure this is worth my time and effort.

lisad442
7/9/18

Ive had experiences with meetup too! First they charge a lot to start a group but also they took away all my members when I wanted to charge monthly fees and charge my members the monthly fee only if they decided to attend a meetup, but they changed that! Now my pending members were all deleted and I would have to contact all them one by one! It's horrible only left with less than 100 members when I had over 1000! Meetup really does not want us to have members! They are greedy! Hopefully they will change it back to where it was or I may be leaving meetup for something better!

colleenk50
7/7/18

Nothing is user friendly and drop down boxes don't work for fields where "information is required."
Maybe they are frustrating us to the point of signing up with their own venues which... surprise...they charge for.

sallyn31
7/5/18

I decided to organize a music group and paid $19 one week later, I'm still waiting for it to be approved and available to the public. Of course my subscription will be running out around the time it gets any publicity. What a waste!

alexg256
7/3/18

I was so hopeful when I discovered their site. I'm in a rural area, and I wanted to design a meetup group. The company charged me $60, then rejected my group!
They said I would get a refund, and that never happened!
There is NO customer service, not even an email address, so I have to dispute the charges with my credit card company.
Be smart, stay away from this scam of a website.

marshas68
6/23/18

One of your groups, Fun over Fifty in louisville KY needs to be heavily supervised as the organizer appears to suffer from mental illness. She "fell in love" with a new member, but kicked him out when he did not return her affection. Then she kicked out those who supported him and those who supported the supporters! She also will not return dues paid by members she has blocked

tl100
6/20/18

I'm surprised all these reviews are on the functionality of the meetup website and bad customer service for meetup organizers. I'm writing from the perspective of a longtime meetup attendee, though I've never been an organizer.

Meetups in my area attract a specific type of people - well-educated, bougie, liberal, hipster, tech bro/girl, clique-ish, stuckup, exclusionary. If you don't seem to fit into their subcultures (even if you do), you'll be ignored and rejected to death at meetups. Going there is totally useless, and you'll be hurt because you try hard to socialize, be nice, make friends, network - but no one wants anything to do with you. I always see other people exchanging contact info at meetups - but I'm just ignored. Once in a while, people might chat with me briefly, and then fail to exchange contact info - they want nothing to do with me anymore. Meetup organizers are unfriendly, just in their cliques as well. In SF, a large number of Meetups are advertising vehicles for cool Millenial startups, like those data classes.

In short - if you're popular overall, like in school and the workplace - you'll make plenty of good friends and connections at meetups, and may find dates and even a significant other. However, if you're someone who's generally disliked and looked down on everywhere - ugly looks, heavyset, scared, awkward, appears weird to others, undesirable ethnicity - combination of some of those factors - then meetups are completely useless - you'll just be hurt to death by the all-out exclusion, ignoring, fail to follow up, ghosting, cruelty, and judgmental attitudes towards you.

Total fail. -10000 stars.

Tip for consumers: Meetups are a great way to make friends or find a significant other for popular, attractive white people. Terrible and useless for people who are unfairly judged and excluded everywhere, i.e., ugly, Asian, awkward, etc.

kaih28
6/20/18

Joined less than 6 months ago and have yet to havw a positive experience with meet up. They charge an insane amount of money and cant even help me sort out the reason why my members werent getting messages sent out to them. I hate meetup.com and would NEVER recommend anyone to use this website. Save your money.

cindyf120
6/8/18

leader contradicts guidelines; threatens people with 'no show' kicked out even when she could not make events. Going to meetup website to report basically futile despite showing emails alleging my name was affiliated with sexual content which I knew nothing abut; Another member claimed since joining meetup she was exposed to sexual email.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

All Meetup has now is a database of names and a reasonably efficient way of routing new members to your group. But the tools for organizers are wretched and, by design, have gotten worse. This is the only company I've ever seen that doesn't care what the application users, in particular the organizers, want and need. The list of bad changes is very long--and they don't give a damn. And to add insult to injury, they are inept at application development and coding. They pushed out what might be laughably called alpha code and then scrambled to fix issues, saying "it was a work in progress." A major software release should not be a work in progress. Without comment, they remove functionality. For instance, when asked why they removed the ability to post a note on the calendar, their answer was that "only 3% use the feature. So what--now only 3% are pissed? leaving the feature cost them nothing. I evaluated software from Microsoft and others for a living. Meetup by far is the worst I have ever seen. The "show runners" should be fired and given bad recommendations. And when a competitor comes along that is competent and cares about its users, Meetup will disappear and we'll all celebrate. The organizers en masse don't just dislike the app, they dislike the folks responsible for the mess that Meetup has created.

By John E.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup