Review of Meetup

Tel: +1.2122557327
domainadmin@meetup.com

kayd170
12/17/17

I have tried several times to upload pictures today, but they won't upload. I tried with both Edge and IE. The pictures are not very big, and I COULD upload pictures 3 weeks ago or so. When I click on Add Pictures, the screen gets darker and just sits there, with no pictures being uploaded.

benb155
12/16/17

What have your techs been smoking? Now it looks like I have to buy an IPAD to get some of the features to work. I can't even make a comment on my events. And that's only part of the problems. Read your reviews and comments!!!!

johne237
12/15/17

This upgrade ostensibly done to help meeting organizers--the ones who write the checks--was done over the strong objections of organizers. To add insult to injury, the implementation was very poor--apparently no one there knows how to write and test code. They removed more than a dozen features used by many or most organizers and made the interface even worse than it was, which was hard to do. Among the absurdities was the removal of character formatting [i.e., bold, italic] because some users felt "intimidated" by bold. That is trivial, but extraordinarily stupid. More substantive functionality was also removed--the calendar, which showed by the month all events scheduled for a group. Now it's virtually impossible to get an overview of events. Think Outlook without the calendar. Also makes it nearly impossible to look up past events [for example, to copy for a new event]. And they've never had a search function, and still don't. I could go on withanother dozen or so downgrades. Could I list the improvements? No, there aren't any. And the folks in charge basically don't give a damn what their users think or want. They combine ignorance with arrogance. A bad combination.

rm165
12/12/17

I can not pay my dues for ANY meet ups. Even created new ids, used different cards, computers, devices. Google chrome, IOS, PC, Mac - nothing works!!

al31150
12/6/17

I signed up to host a group for one month on Meetup.com, for $14.99. While checking my credit card statement the next month, I noticed that I had been charged again for another month of hosting. I did not sign up for this, or if I did, it was because something was snuck in with fine print. Anyway, I wrote to them and asked them to refund the second month. No reply. I just wrote to them again today. The next step is that I'll have to contact my credit card and file it as a fraudulent charge. This site is a waste of time and I suspect they expect people to not notice these recurring charges. Shame on them. Besides this, many people on the site never actually go to meet ups.

jamiles
12/6/17

I am an organizer with Meetup and I pay more than $150 per year for the 'privilege' of using their systems. A year ago things went smooth, but the past 60 days there are many broken links to pages, I report technical problems and never hear back. The few employee emails I had bounce back. The phone number I used last year is still working, but it is only a recording that says check online if you have a problem.

I will be looking for another system for my group.

carlose27
12/5/17

This is the age of social media and Meetup is the new way to supposedly "meet" people. Although it is easy to sign up, some groups are excessively exclusive to join. Some group leaders also suffer from mental problems or drama and will block/remove you from their group from unexplained reasons. Some groups are just plain phony where you pay to attend an information seminar and the hosts are just charlatans who use it as their way of making a living.
Meetup has not helped me find real friends, yet there have been some good free events worth attending. Your Mileage Will Vary.

robertj259
12/4/17

By and large it has turned into a way for businesses and people to make money off members who are looking to expand their social circle. Service businesses hold "learning" sessions to sell their services. Restaurants advertise "social events" to get you to come in and buy food and drink. Trips are advertised at rates that are higher than if you did them on your own. "Self-help" and "self-improvement" retreats are offered by individuals to make money that prey on lonely, desperate and troubled people.

rayw66
11/13/17

They block people trying to subscribe first time, for NO reason, and block ability to ever dispute, because you have to sign in to ask a question and you cannot sign in.

I will encourage any groups I care about to move elsewhere. They are completely clueless. Lots of other reviews here demonstrate that, lowest rating I have seen here on businesses I check on, and it appears that they couldn't care less.

mikea196
11/1/17

I'm part of a Real Estate Mastermind. We have members in over 50 markets that have posted the same meetup as myself. For some reason, Meetup is denying my meetup. I've sent them screen shots, etc. Their reason is always a blatant error/inability to read. They're terrible. I can't organize a real estate meetup, but meetup.com allow ANTIFA to "meetup"....
You've gotta be kidding me.....
Terrible company

louisew56
10/3/17

Wherever you are going just make sure you travel safely back and forth, also what is the difference between making friends at meetup or anywhere else??? be your own best friend and go to meetup or out with friends to benefit yourself, and meet likeminded people, you can meet strange people or users at work or old school friends can change whatever!! it makes no difference, there is a world full of people, as long as you are careful (which is obvious anyway) you should be fine, you could know someone for 40 years and find out they've done something terrible, you could know someone 1 day and they could be lovely!!

fuckheads
9/30/17

Great idea. Lousy execution. I host a meeetup group as well. Its what I would expect in say the year 1999.

francesl21
9/29/17

Agree with John W. Hang out with a bunch of strangers from the start, go to another meet up and hang out with another group of strangers. Also outings like theatre what is the point of pairing up with strangers in the foyer and paying them a fee for the 'pleasure.' Might as well not go or go alone. Also a lot of meet up at are clubs that exist anyway so why go with strangers ?

ruudj
9/1/17

Don 't trust this organisation they don 't Pay their bill in Utrecht (holland) and their contact person "Lucian Naie"(+31615071253)will scam you!!!!!!! Don"t ever take their reservation

jaym222
8/30/17

This was a good service once, but that was before Scott Heiferman decided to provide infrastructure and organization to the violent protests we see today. #NoMeetup #NoAntifa #CivilRightsForAll

vl490
8/10/17

I wanted to go an Ableton Users meeting(Ableton is a music creation platform). This particular meeting was intended to give artists a chance to play their music. There was about twenty people there and only one other person played their music. The rest of the people there were organized into cliques, and would openly make fun of me, a new comer. Heh, it was actually funny to see them attempt at looking cool, all while hiding their insecurity about their own stuff. I mean, they want to be gangsters, but turn out to be really preppy. Don't go.

arir11
7/9/17

It allows BUSINESS NETWORKING groups that openly state they are about selling and marketing products, but if you start a DISCUSSION group for freelance translators and interpreters to meet informally face-to-face at a public venue of anyone's choice, you're thrown overboard because your group "exists solely for the selling and marketing of products and services". Doesn't get any worse than MeetUp.

rir6
6/25/17

A few years back i use to be a part of a groups that brought the cultures of black and Asian together, while having fun and making friend. I've only been to three meet-ups and there less than amusing, there were huge age gaps more men are older than the women in the group(some are teens! ew). Most the women act slutty around the already pervy,socially awkward men, everyone's shallow and kinda jerks, thinks its for dating. I waited some years later and wanted to re-join to see if there any changes, and i was denied because i didn't have a profile pic(for privacy reasons), this group is a joke! I never any friends in that group and if your not thin or pretty they treat you like crap and ignore you.One of the Asian male organizers were really rude to me for no reason. They think their challenging stigma or some crap.

Tip for consumers: Avoid! the women are $#*!es & the men are asswholes

danc134
6/22/17

If you use this site for just simple meetings, it may work. Unfortunately I wouldn't know because my account was disabled after ONE day. I was using it for business and networking, and how do you network without speaking to people? So I attempt to communicate with members of this site, and was immediately blocked. Don't have a business networking section if you aren't allowed to network! Simple as that! I'm not a spammer and I'm not a salesman, no one could buy anything off of me even if they wanted to. So for them to block me for spam is ridiculous. Stay away from this if you want your reputation intact.

christopherg80
6/6/17

This is for all of you people in the Central Florida area that are considering to enroll your kids with ASD in Transform your life coaching in Altamonte Springs FL. For those of you that have heard about this company and know about Paula Breeden who is running it, think twice about enrolling your kids with her. Paula Breeden is a scam artist and a liar and is more interested in making money rather than helping your kids with ASD. Whatever you decide to do is your decision, but I would recommend you to enroll your kids with UCF CARD in Orlando instead of with her. You can save your money a whole lot worth it that way.

johnw230
5/27/17

One thing I learned about meet up is I rather make friends the old fashion way and gradually in time get to truly know a person. Just hanging out with strangers from the start is something I would not do again. Worst time I ever had in my life. For the people I hung out with in the group YBLA can go to hell for the inaappropiate and ignorant ways they conducted themselves on this one night.

peterf72
5/14/17

I am the organizer of a Meetup group and I just had a simple question, which I hoped I could email or call to find the answer. The Help page is a total joke with almost no information. It would be one thing if I was just an attendee, but I am a paying member of this service. Is it legal to offer a service with absolutely no way to contact the company? Don't they have some responsibility to assist their customers?

Until this time, I felt very positive about Meetup, but I simply cannot believe their lack of customer service or even anyone that can help me. I guess they have my money and that's all they care about...rather than having good customer service. Maybe customer service is a thing of the past in our new world order of millennials?

lc99
Lerri C.
5/12/17

I have seen plenty of my friends find the love of their lives on meetup as well. Highly recommend all single young person to join 20s and 30s meetups. Meetup can be a great way to build social network for persons of all ages too.

terriw32
5/11/17

I was on Meetup and was absent for a while because the group I used it for changed sites. I tried to start up again and they didn't allow me to and wouldn't even let me reset my password. Customer service was no help. They didn't even respond to my queries. They sent me terms of service instead of responses.This site is sorry.

karenh219
5/2/17

WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. STUPID COMPANY. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY. BUT THEY DONT WANT TO LET YOU ORGANIZE MEETUPS. DONT EVEN BOTHER GOING TO MEETUPS. NO ONE SHOWS. SAVE YOUR GAS, MONEY, AND TIME.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

support@meetup.com, and no I am not affiliated with meetup.com

By Scott H.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

I think they have removed private groups. You can control who joins by making admin approval in the group tools section

By Scott H.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Meetup