Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

kymw7
1/6/20
I've been trying to delete my account which appears impossible because it keeps coming back asking me to designate other organizers. I've sent an email to which I receive canned responses but no one to contact directly. There is no number to speak to anyone. This is so incredibly frustrating. If you select "Deactivate Account" it makes you give someone else your group. Any suggestions?
eval75
12/19/19
I think what they have going is good. It gives people a place to go to find activities they are interested in or like minded people to join or learn about. The main reason I gave such a low review is because their cost is outrageous. About $90 for 6 months. Granted you get 3 pages it is still outrageous.
sammys58
12/4/19
sent messages out for my app idea to help network. I was disabled for sending the same message, i guess? I contacted customer support 5 times over a week and a half- no response. also they have no number, like a new, money grabbing facebook. stay away.
sonias117
11/25/19
In my last invoice as a hoster in Meetup, they increased double amount to pay for the service of six months. They must think we are all coorporate companies and not small business. It is ridiculous how Expensive it is.
sukhbirj
10/30/19
I've used meetup for a while and theirs plenty of fake events....ie people organise events but forget to cancel because of circumstances but when you report this to meetup they do nothing!! I've seen same event that I turned up to that was cancelled but yet advertised being again advertised for following week.....again wasting people's times. Give this app a wide miss and do yourselves a favour!
esteband7
10/14/19
I submitted an Meetup group for obvious scams. Ie charging a fee and then scheduling multiple events at the same time. Organizer never showed up to any of them. I sent to their *****@meetip.com email and got an auto response and nothing else.

Meetup is only interested in making money from organizers even if they are complete scams. I have been a member since 2016 and it had gotten worse over time.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SWITCH OVER TO FACEBOOK GROUPS WHICH IS ENTIRELY FREE!
jdp8
10/9/19
So the past couple years I'd become a bit of a shut-in. I was looking through the Google App Store and I came across this. Decided to take a chance on us a little over a year ago and I don't regret it one bit.

Meetup is basically an app it helps to connect you to public events that may fit in with your particular set of interests. It helps me find a board gaming group in my area that meets up once a month. Once every couple of weeks we have a community clean-up, this popped up on my feed once the trashtag challenge started to become a thing. So it really helps me to get out of the house every now and again and it's connected me to some pretty cool people.

The only reason I put up a four-star review in lieu of a 5 is because of the fact that I do live in a rural area oh, so the fact that I have anything coming up in my feed at all is quite astounding. I would recommend this for anybody looking for activities so long as you live in a slightly more populated area.

If you're curious, go ahead and give it a shot. It's free and it definitely helps if you're looking for something that's out of your daily routine.
rosamariac1
9/29/19
This app is absolutely ridiculous. It always freezes and doesn't allow me to do the technical things I need to do as an assistant coordinator for our Meetup group. The past while it didn't allow me to search people or place them into activities. Now, it won't let me post anything on the discussion board but others can. Meetup doesn't have a customer service telephone number at all. I'm considering leaving Meetup bc of the non-stop continuous technical disruptures it causes when I try to technically do something for my events or when I'm not using the app at all and the technical error messages pop up to disrupt my current app uses that have absolutely nothing to do with the Meetup App. Google ITs should have developed it! Ridiculous!
nevillee1
9/16/19
When I joined Meetup in 2008, it was well-done and well-run. I can do code and photography, so I was quickly made an "Assistant Organizer", and life was good for a few years. Then came the "NewMeetup" of 2011, an even-worse "upgrade" in 2013, and the site totally jumped the shark in 2017. Customer service was never very good, but it has become non-existent, and subscription fees keep increasing, while features disappear without notice. All but one of the organizers I met in 2008-2009 have left Meetup, and almost all the newer organizers are business owners who use the site as an advertising platform, for which the subscription fee is a deductible expense. For anyone else, I can't imagine Meetup being of any more use than Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
franw49
9/12/19
Most of my experience with meetup groups has been good. I admit that I have not joined very many, but I have met some wonderful people and we have shared some fun experiences. Beware of some power-hungry organizers. You should be picky about the groups you join.
robinj113
9/9/19
We schedule a trip and the organizer cancelled the trip and have not returned our money. We did several meetups in the past and it was fine.
derykg1
8/31/19
Do not assume that this website will meet the technical needs of your group's operation. For example, its "Discussion box" has a 140 character limit which severely limits discussion and makes it impossible share even a website link within a discussion.
davidj264
8/29/19
Terrible platform and even worse customer support. On 2 occasions I have made a mistake creating a profile on Meetup.com. Two years ago and then just recently my profile has been blocked and removed under their "suspected spam" when all I was doing was sending a few messages not many and sending to group organizers not members suggesting an event. My profile isn't a company or soliciting anything. Each time I have wasted 2 years building my account only to have it removed and no one in meetup will answer why this happened or assist with recovery. Just no answers to my repeated requests for assistance. I don't think they employ any real humans on the other end of this platform....DON'T waste your time here.
crispinr
8/27/19
I found it very frustrating to find the right meetup group inside the meetup app. I had the name spelled absolutely correct but still could not find it. Yet google found the meetup group no problem. Suggest Meetup do some work on their search algorithm.
robp123
8/13/19
i have attended a number of meetups . The social ones are ok you meet different people the age group can vary some have certain age ranges those that do not tend to attract older members. Good value for money eg £10 for years membership with unlimited walks. The pub is probably the best part of the walk.
seant102
8/8/19
over the past 8 years I have had a few meetup accounts to have meditation classes and other similar stuff. In about 2017 everything changed. I think it was when they were bought out by WeWork. Since then the prices have all gone up and the visibility of the group has gone down. First they highly suggested we charge, and we tried it and lost about 70% of our followers, we then did a purge of participants that never showed up and got it way down to less than 100 (we once had over 1,000 members!) There is no real way to market or advertise or cross mention in any other social media platform. I am disbanding the whole thing this month and will likely go to other social media... I can pay half of what I pay to Meetup and get a far greater reach. I hate that the format was re-tooled to be better for hand held devices and the interface is terrible compared to pre 2017... Change is good, but not all change...
fuky8
7/16/19
Meetup for Event Hosts is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE !!! If I didn't read these reviews I would still be certain someone has hacked my account and is undoing everything I post. GET IT TOGETHER !!! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME !!!!
georgel253
7/7/19
I used Meetup to meet with other developers to code. This innocent activity works without any issue. But as many people said, there are some issues when you want to do political meetings. Another annoying issue is that I get every meetup 3 times in my Calendar. That is so annoying.
henryb178
6/26/19
Hi, i am a 24-year-old male, and i finde every one on the group is in there 30's and unwilling to talk that much. just be advised that some of the people you meet with are creeps. i remember one time i wanted to go out for a drink with someone and see if we could be possible friends, he seemed uninterested in what i had to say to him and tried to talk to evrey girl he could see. a red flag came up in my mind, as i was just trying to go out and have some fun, and get drunk, it's harder to do with some creepy guy there trying to flirt with every woman he lays his eyes on. i only would do it if she was interested in me, if not i just talk to other people. I used to go to this volleyball group in new west which i liked alot, but it was ruined when some new person came and decided to do two vs two volleyball, and treat me like $#*!. he literally camped out and hogged the second court alot longer than the 30-minute rule. also, he had his own possy and did not include me in the games.

i am still having a hard time meeting people, as the people that go to the meetup groups just seem like they want to "meet up only, and not make friends." i have had some good experiences from it though, and met some good friends, but still, watch out for the creeps people!

( sorry for the long review guys,)
aaronf93
6/22/19
I have nothing nice to say about Meetup. Let me just give you the #Facts and by stating the facts with Meetup will automatically place in you on their $#*! list bc your words are Conservative. I have created harmonious and enjoyable events and there were ppl who did not RSVP but had the intention to bring their negativity to a sophisticated party. I had reported accts that had vile nudity as their profile pic and Meetup attacked me by banning me instead of solving the issue. Meetup allows bad behavior if the acct appears to be liberal left. I have not brought politics into until now. But Meetup has shown me prejudice bc I hold a higher standard and support those who enjoy class and sophisticated events. This is why when you decide to sign up with Meetup. The members do not attend or engage in discussion bc they are silenced when they have done nothing wrong or never went against these policies. https://help.meetup.com/hc/en-us/articles/*******532-Usage-and-content-policies-Rules-for-using-Meetup
cala7
6/17/19
Meetup claims they are against pedophilia -- but if you post an event against a public figure with ties to pedophilia -- Meetup harasses you, forbids the event, and tries to get you taken off the platform.
Meetup does NOT believe in free speech. They believe in their own perverted pedophilia-friendly agenda, and that's what they want to promote.
leighm65
6/13/19
I tried to organize a meet-up group and it turned out I couldn't do it. No problem. I cancelled my organizer subscription ($20/month) prior to the renewal for the next month and I was still charged. I then reached out to customer service to get a refund and they denied me. repeatedly. I would avoid working with them at all cost if I were you. They are not honest and their customer service sucks.
debrab286
6/13/19
I took over a group that was started in 2013. We meet for volleyball and keep an average of 500 members in the Raleigh, NC area. What we get from meetup.com is an app for a couple hundred dollars a year that does just about what Facebook does for free. Honestly, I have been too lazy to move the group...until now.
They are raising their rates, which is not the big deal as much as I tried contacting customer service to learn more about the increase. Meetup customer service is TERRIBLE, and pretty much nonexistent.
So, if you have a couple hundred dollars to burn for nothing more than a posting site, it is stable. We will most likely be moving to Facebook.
johnl1353
6/9/19
I do not recommend. Website is not user friendly. Unable to speak directly with reps to resolve issues.
christinap150
6/7/19
I am a single woman who is 58 years old. I searched out speed dating in NYC.
This is what I saw;
From Meetup.com: This event is for Men ages 43-58 and Women ages 40-53.

WHY ARE WOMAN REQUIRED TO BE YOUNGER????????? I want answers Meetup!
1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

All Meetup has now is a database of names and a reasonably efficient way of routing new members to your group. But the tools for organizers are wretched and, by design, have gotten worse. This is the only company I've ever seen that doesn't care what the application users, in particular the organizers, want and need. The list of bad changes is very long--and they don't give a damn. And to add insult to injury, they are inept at application development and coding. They pushed out what might be laughably called alpha code and then scrambled to fix issues, saying "it was a work in progress." A major software release should not be a work in progress. Without comment, they remove functionality. For instance, when asked why they removed the ability to post a note on the calendar, their answer was that "only 3% use the feature. So what--now only 3% are pissed? leaving the feature cost them nothing. I evaluated software from Microsoft and others for a living. Meetup by far is the worst I have ever seen. The "show runners" should be fired and given bad recommendations. And when a competitor comes along that is competent and cares about its users, Meetup will disappear and we'll all celebrate. The organizers en masse don't just dislike the app, they dislike the folks responsible for the mess that Meetup has created.

By John E.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

Meetup Pro has a one-month free trial, and Meetup offers a 14-day trial in EU

By Neville E.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup