Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

alanf68
2/9/18

In one of the worst IT disasters ever, programmers committed and EPIC FAIL by allowing management to crush, kill and destroy all the enthusiasm out of the Meetup organizers and mambers who pay the salaries of Meetup.com employees. And Management has cleverly hidden all its employees behind unreachable email addresees and unreachable phone numbers. So most tech support ended Around 12/1/2017 at that point 4 days was typical response time from support@meetup.com - Since then, each week has extended response time much further. Now, If you send a request to support@meetup.com you get a robo auto email within 48 hours telling you to check there FAQs - hah, and to re-email them if you don't find an answer on your own, and you get a spin on the roulette wheel of answers/no answers. All because the Narcissistic dictators who commanded the revamp of the website and all apps, did so, with no feedback from users, with no input from users and no Plan B, No concept of reverting back on any front of there assault on users. They removed feature after feature, changed procedures and did the opposite of there stated goal to "deliver a consistent experience across all platforms". In fact, its now less consistent than it ever was. Bug after Bug after Bug, Missing features and removed functionality in every corner of the app, but Management keeps making the work environment one big party for its employees while users and Organizers frantically email again and again. Most Organizers are fed up and message each other and the members pleading for solutions. But the programmers have abandoned the users who pay there salaries. SO Organizers are taking there communities to other platforms like Facebook, sad, so sad, becasue many good groups thrive on meetup becasue users can be anonomous and unindetified on Cancer support Groups, Rape support groups, Spousal abuse support groups and many more things people dont want everyone in the world to know about. We hope Facebook and other platforms are making changes to absorb the disappointed meetup.com organizers, anonymously. Becasue nobody at Meetup.com mgmt is listening to the uproar and nobody in the IT media community has exposed this debacle, yet.

stephenm196
2/9/18

So, where to start...well, this site is now engineered to be a headache to use on mobile devices.

Want to find a meetup? Whatever you do do NOT sign in. Seriously. When you sign in meetup.com has a profile they use to determine which meetups to display and do not even give you access to the majority of them. Instead, you need to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ to find a meetup. This is not too bad, just bookmark it, but it would be alright if not for the fact that meetup.com at times keeps redirecting you to https://www.meetup.com/apps to try to force you to download their app which of course is spyware.

After you find a meetup group you usually have to log in and then join it. Not a big deal? well, meetup.com's join button is set to not work on mobile devices. To join a group I have to hold my finger on the join button until a context menu appears, select open in new tab, switch to that tab and then tap the join button in the group calendar page that opened in that tab. This has nothing to do with the lack of capabilities in the web browser, i was using an updated version of google chrome. After doing so I was not allowed to join until I upload a picture of myself and the only option presented was to upload a picture from facebook, no options to use a picture I already have on my phone. i did not see any option for using the pictures on my cell phone.

At this point I decided to access the web site from my laptop. Which still requires me to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to be able to find a meetup group without being profiled and limited in available choices. I also found that when trying to join the same group I was not asked to upload a picture from facebook.

Tip for consumers: Go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to see all meetups

If tapping the join group button does not work right click or hold your finger on it and choose open in new tab to access a page with a join button that allows you to join the group.

angelak81
2/4/18

We started out with a great site, but the they changed Everything without warning every month or so. This last year of 2017, it has gotten so bad that our members and the members of 500 other clubs are leaving! i could no longer use the maps to edit, they only allow one picture at a time to be uploaded, and you can't edit RSVPs as an admin i got an email from their support manager explaining that they are aware of the map issue and she pretty much was begging me to get everyone to push Meetup to make this right. It was fine in the beginning but it is increasingly getting worse and they are charging us for it. I want my money back and the genious behind this change to be fired! HoustonJetskiRiders.com We have been great customers of Meetup for years...Not any longer!

nonayab
2/3/18

For the love... It used to be very user friendly and an awesome little calendar to easily check what was going on for several weeks in advance. Now, it's complicated as all get out and organizers are having a lot of trouble figuring out how to update/change meetups and so have been neglecting it all together, to the dismay of members that end up going then to the wrong place. Ugh... Also, it would be awesome for those of us that don't make any money off of the meetup to get a reprieve from the monthly cost of it... It's very expensive for anyone that is not a business promoting themselves.

jeffl136
2/1/18

Meetup used to be a pretty good site. But with each makeover, the look and feel and functionality continue to degrade. I am an organizer and I know several other organizers who all agree that using Meetup is an exercise in rage and frustration. You want to start throwing things. Yeah, it's that bad.

miked319
2/1/18

They have slowly taken away features and the new site is horrible. The app has lost a lot of features too. Our groups will be moving to another service.

deanr40
1/30/18

I organized a Meetup, and started to get folks joining the group. Every time I went to welcome a new member, I would get an error message indicating that I was not authorized to send messages to group members. I started getting messages for 'Joe'. My name is Dean. Somehow they got the wires crossed, and I was not able to organize meetings, reply to questions, or use any other organizer functions. I tried calling a customer service number that I found on the internet. It was a recording directing everyone to the website/email support. They do not answer emails directly, but instead send you a list of FAQs as answers. I had my credit card company reverse the charges and disbanded the group.

jeffh197
1/29/18

Check out my site p2pcolorado.com....working to replace failing meetup, as a five year organizer, with my own site.....Meet-up sucks.....hate it now! Also lost a bunch of unpaid members and all control of my group....lame!

galinaz1
1/26/18

Almost 1.2k of my group members were removed by Meetup.com, after I stopped charging member fees. I had to stop charging, because Meetup.com put all the unpaid members in trial...pending removal...mode. So basically, they just took my money for 6 months and took away more than 90% of my members. Now, I have no way to contact many of my friends. I emailed them and tweeted at them... So far, no response. :(

davisf9
1/23/18

I don't even know what to say... they are methodically disabling everything that made Meetup great for such a long time

michellel227
1/22/18

No warning, or if there was one it was not adequate since they send me countless emails daily and i just instantly erase them. I had 1400 members and annual membership due. It was free to be in the group but had to pay the due for the year to attend. Thats fine i had long time users some would not pay one year but come back. No warning overnight my members went from 1400 something to barely 100 members (the current paid members). I haven't been able to successfully have a meetup in months. They booted all of my members then they charged me $90! Also new design sucks hate it. Complained to them on Facebook no one responds, through the site no one responds. I want my $90 back they destroyed my group and I have had ONE meetup since November. I used to have 2-3 a month. The one meetup that i did have was my mostly my friends. Disputing it on my AMEX hope i win. They suck now. Sad to have my group end but i don't want to start over and i hate the new site.

lindac338
1/20/18

Did you know Meetup sold to WeWork in November for $30 million.
You can't get ahold of anyone!! I've emailed support four times since December. No response.

dubb4
1/18/18

After using it for 5+ years it seems to be that latest interface (Dec 2017) changes were done without any consideration for ease of use, enhanced presence and needs of users or organizers.

It is equally difficult for paying organizers as it is for free users, to organize things, communicate or find events of interest.

It is time to move on to new platform for us as they have destroyed everything what made it worth using it.

It is hard to understand why meetup.com management decided to gamble their position this way.

Guys, organizers are paying for your services and it is likely that we'll walk out and use other platforms now.

No reason to stay.

fayed9
1/13/18

I tried to unsubscribe to meetup emails I didn't even subscribe to. The site required me to sign up - ha! - to be able to unsubscribe. STUPID!!!! Meetup, leave me alone!!!!

leslieg57
1/12/18

I have used Meetup for over 5 years and with their latest update (late 2017 and continuing) all of the functions to successfully manage my group have been taken away in favor of "pretty" and phone "user friendly" for members. Chip-in - gone from the site; # of guests - gone from the site; monitoring # of no-shows - gone from the site; copying stored pictures to another event - all of the pictures are gone. I'm looking for another platform before the "improvements" become any worse!

erick474
1/10/18

It used to be a pretty good site, but pointless redesigns which reduce important functionality, while making other functionality harder to find and use has made this site ripe for a competitor to replace them. Now if a competitor would just appear ...

Well since no one else did, I just built and released a competitor- https://www.uGetTogether.com We pride ourselves on our 20/20 vision- being 20% better for 20% less money. Of course, we'll probably need to change the first number as we continue to turn out improvements and they continue to sit on their hands. Probably our biggest improvement is that we will be listening to our users!

peterb263
1/10/18

We have been using Meetup for 6 years and now they cocked the whole thing up we will be leaving if they don't bring back the old format. This was so easy for the older users of our club, now they don't bother as too hard. Why stuff up something that was working, fire the tosser who gave it the new look

randyc85
1/9/18

All of the earlier functionality is gone. The site is flat and featureless now. The December 2017 update has almost made me lose interest in Meetup, and especially paying $260 a year to use it.

alanl82
1/8/18

After years and year of using meetup we are forced to look for a new system to organize our 'meetups'. At first I thought the new platform was a work in progress or required a bit of a learning curve but after giving it a serious shot I have to say it almost unusable and a huge step backward.

deborahh116
1/8/18

Until they fix their new site, or switch back to the old one, I recommend avoiding this service. The new one might be better for the 60% of users on mobile devices, but the old one was definitely better for the other 40% of us, especially organizers. Ive been emailing Meetup support for weeks with problems, e.g. members not notified of meetups, map pins incorrect and unfixable, but Ive only received unhelpful automated responses. Im guessing they are overwhelmed with problems after their premature cutover their new format.

deniseh94
1/8/18

As an organizer, Im shocked that any functionality is all but lost with the new system. To schedule a meetup, you cant format text, cant add price, or change number of guests allowed. The max number of guests you do set doesnt get set. Forget copying an old meetup and keeping the same settings. Worst of all, If you do want to set price, youre directed to the old interfaceand guess what? If you didnt save first, if you click on go to the old interfaceyou just lost your copy. THEN when you manage to get a meetup scheduled...the rsvp list is unreliable. Users rsvp or un-rsvp and the system doesnt always record it. The syncing between the mobile app isnt reliable...also it doesnt seem to show maximum number of participants to users...and thats just from an organizers POV -my community of users isnt happy either. What the heck? Meetup currently owns this market - how could their systemtheir ONE PRODUCTfail so badly?

suzannes67
1/7/18

i've been an organizer on meetup for 4 years now and now have over 1300 members - i've worked hard to build up this group. since the changes last month - I am so very frustrated along with many other organizers as the new system is barely usable. Its a terrible upgrade - i'm hoping that another company/developer will come up with a new system and roll out something that is user friendly and scalable as well. shame on meetup for doing this - they will go down!

judim14
1/7/18

I am not normally a complainer but as the organizer of a social meetup, I am totally fed up with trying to use the website and just go with a Facebook page and use eVite. It seems I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to address an issue I'm having and I feel my time is better spent with other things. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to mark certain people who RSVP'd they were coming to an event as no-shows but am coming up empty. Plus I marked the people who did come and Meetup still maintained the head count for all who RSVP'd including the no-shows that I did not mark as attending!!!

Also - the site is not the least bit attractive and just difficult to navigate. I think by now (1-7-18) any issues they said they were having/fixing should have been remedied. Meetup is not cheap and I have a hard time justifying the amount we are paying, so it may be time to tell Meetup goodbye!

ninaw14
1/6/18

Go back to the old version!! We are PAYING to use this site and it's unusable! You have added so many new features and taken out the old ones. Get back to the concept! NO ONE LIKES IT!!

jaynes17
1/6/18

You have made many changes over the last year all of which have created issues with me running my group in an efficient manner. Now you have released the absolutely worst version of all! This is not an effective way to run a business where you are charging me to use your site and now you are making it difficult! Can't believe you released such a poor version of this site!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup