Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

adamc147
3/4/18

Terrible UI changes. I use the calendar the most frequently to schedule events. For some reason they now hide the calendar and make it extremely difficult to find. I want to see a month's calendar.

johnm1315
3/3/18

I've been using meetup for almost 5 years and the newest updates are just awful. I cannot find where to schedule a meetup on the iOS apps and it is very hard to find on their web interface.

In addition, the old web interface allowed one to schedule a recurring meetup with a specified end date, e.g. meet every Wednesday for 3 months. I cannot find that functionality on then new web interface.

Finally, meetup has removed or effectively buried any means of communicating with them directly about these issues.

We have a 1,000 person group and are looking for an alternative.

julias127
3/2/18

I have been an organizer with several groups for the past 5 years. I am not tech savvy at all, so I have always appreciated the ease of use of the old design. This new design is a complete mess. Nothing about it is intuitive or user friendly, for organizers or event attendees. It is disappointed to see how many co-organizers are leaving our groups because of the recent change in meetup management.

jessicas342
2/27/18

I simply can't commit my hard earned money to pay for the treatment I'm receiving from Meetup. I have many happy memories and nostalgia from groups over the years, but I'm afraid that can't sustain the neglect that I'm receiving as a paying customer. I hope that it will somehow be restored to its former glory, but I'm worried that we might all have to find a new platform. Goodbye, Meetup, I'll miss you!

ericn46
2/26/18

10 years+ paying member here. I wish I could give zero stars. I can't believe what they did to our meetup group site. It was so much better before they changed around Dec 2017. Their iPhone app is pretty bad too. Meetup.com is a great idea, and used to work to bring people together despite being super expensive. Now it is just awful to navigate and so much simple functionality has been lost or obfuscated. For what it costs me, I wish they would simply roll back!

martinj65
2/23/18

Meetup remains a wonderful idea for bringing together like-minded people. Unfortunately, the new web page and its tools for scheduling Meetup events are dreadful. The old system was fine and very easy to use. Like so many other businesses, Meetup has 'thrown the baby out with the bathwater'! A couple of updates and a bit of adjustment would have helped but Meetup techies have abandoned the old web page completely and come up with something which is far from user friendly and has made it much more difficult to schedule and amend events.
The only redeeming feature is that, in order to charge money for an event, you can transfer to the old page!

roberte118
2/21/18

I joined a local Atheist group Meetup. The group has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism but radical left wing politics. I consider myself a political centrist and these people only organized activity against the Republican party. Many were so radical left that I don't think that they are measurable on any political spectrum.

Their Mission Statement about exclusiveness as bull.

haroldk26
2/19/18

Organizers pay for the service. Meetup consistently ignores complaints from organizers and rolled out a half-baked redesign missing some major features that organized organizers relied upon.... such as marking no shows on attendance and pinning a precise location on the map. The latter is especially critical for groups that don't meet at a place with an address, such as a trail head for a hike, a put-in for a kayaking event, etc.

Tip for consumers: Since I originally wrote this, I have found a great alternative: https://groups.place

alexd170
2/18/18

There was a time when Meetup was about facilitating meeting like-minded individuals. From 2007 until about 2015, I greatly enjoyed using both the site and going to meetups regularly, and more recently was a paid member hosting my own meetup group.

Sadly, things appear to have taken a turn for the worse. As of 2018, the website's usability is poor. In the interface, there is a lack of feedback and consistency when performing basic actions such as joining a group. How do I browse meetups by category? Is it even possible to do that?

Perhaps more concerning is the company's decision in 2017 to support political activism in the form of the #Resist movement. Personally, I have no strong opinion about American politics in general, nor about Donald Trump. For this reason, I resent the idea that a company uses its international members' fees to support grassroots political activism. In conclusion, I have decided that Meetup shall no longer be receiving my money. In my opinion, the company needs to grow up a little and act with greater professional integrity.

tonyv37
2/17/18

Meetup.com tried to bill me twice for a 6-month renewal. When I would not pay twice, they cancelled my subscription. I filed a claim with my bank for a refund, but my bank says Meetup does not even reply. WeWork overpaid $200 million for a sinking ship and is now so desperate it allows Meetup to steal subscribers money.

tanyap26
2/12/18

The website is now non functioning, it's in the old and the new platforms at the same time. But you can not tell which parts of the site works or doesn't work, until you spend too much time fumbling around. What a shame.

I contacted them with my complaint, however no response. I was hoping they would respond and say "our ETA for new platform is ?" or something that would let you know that this is a priority to them .. FIXING THIS PROBLEM.

Its all good that I have heard nothing from them. I will be looking for a new service. Even if a lose a few, its still better that working with a company that does not respond. I take a 'no response' as a F--k You to a customer.

Only a matter of time. I'm out.

sharonz6
2/10/18

That said, I am not an organizer and maybe I owe the organizers of the groups I am in a multitude of thanks. I had organizing my social events and the organizers do it for me! I'd be a recluse without it! I am in a fitness group, a music group and a volunteer and nature group. Love MeetUp. I haven't really thought that there are someones at a higher level who might be making it difficult for the organizers. I haven't heard that. I am a five star reviewer for the benefit from Meetup that I have received.

alanf68
2/9/18

In one of the worst IT disasters ever, programmers committed and EPIC FAIL by allowing management to crush, kill and destroy all the enthusiasm out of the Meetup organizers and mambers who pay the salaries of Meetup.com employees. And Management has cleverly hidden all its employees behind unreachable email addresees and unreachable phone numbers. So most tech support ended Around 12/1/2017 at that point 4 days was typical response time from support@meetup.com - Since then, each week has extended response time much further. Now, If you send a request to support@meetup.com you get a robo auto email within 48 hours telling you to check there FAQs - hah, and to re-email them if you don't find an answer on your own, and you get a spin on the roulette wheel of answers/no answers. All because the Narcissistic dictators who commanded the revamp of the website and all apps, did so, with no feedback from users, with no input from users and no Plan B, No concept of reverting back on any front of there assault on users. They removed feature after feature, changed procedures and did the opposite of there stated goal to "deliver a consistent experience across all platforms". In fact, its now less consistent than it ever was. Bug after Bug after Bug, Missing features and removed functionality in every corner of the app, but Management keeps making the work environment one big party for its employees while users and Organizers frantically email again and again. Most Organizers are fed up and message each other and the members pleading for solutions. But the programmers have abandoned the users who pay there salaries. SO Organizers are taking there communities to other platforms like Facebook, sad, so sad, becasue many good groups thrive on meetup becasue users can be anonomous and unindetified on Cancer support Groups, Rape support groups, Spousal abuse support groups and many more things people dont want everyone in the world to know about. We hope Facebook and other platforms are making changes to absorb the disappointed meetup.com organizers, anonymously. Becasue nobody at Meetup.com mgmt is listening to the uproar and nobody in the IT media community has exposed this debacle, yet.

stephenm196
2/9/18

So, where to start...well, this site is now engineered to be a headache to use on mobile devices.

Want to find a meetup? Whatever you do do NOT sign in. Seriously. When you sign in meetup.com has a profile they use to determine which meetups to display and do not even give you access to the majority of them. Instead, you need to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ to find a meetup. This is not too bad, just bookmark it, but it would be alright if not for the fact that meetup.com at times keeps redirecting you to https://www.meetup.com/apps to try to force you to download their app which of course is spyware.

After you find a meetup group you usually have to log in and then join it. Not a big deal? well, meetup.com's join button is set to not work on mobile devices. To join a group I have to hold my finger on the join button until a context menu appears, select open in new tab, switch to that tab and then tap the join button in the group calendar page that opened in that tab. This has nothing to do with the lack of capabilities in the web browser, i was using an updated version of google chrome. After doing so I was not allowed to join until I upload a picture of myself and the only option presented was to upload a picture from facebook, no options to use a picture I already have on my phone. i did not see any option for using the pictures on my cell phone.

At this point I decided to access the web site from my laptop. Which still requires me to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to be able to find a meetup group without being profiled and limited in available choices. I also found that when trying to join the same group I was not asked to upload a picture from facebook.

Tip for consumers: Go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to see all meetups

If tapping the join group button does not work right click or hold your finger on it and choose open in new tab to access a page with a join button that allows you to join the group.

angelak81
2/4/18

We started out with a great site, but the they changed Everything without warning every month or so. This last year of 2017, it has gotten so bad that our members and the members of 500 other clubs are leaving! i could no longer use the maps to edit, they only allow one picture at a time to be uploaded, and you can't edit RSVPs as an admin i got an email from their support manager explaining that they are aware of the map issue and she pretty much was begging me to get everyone to push Meetup to make this right. It was fine in the beginning but it is increasingly getting worse and they are charging us for it. I want my money back and the genious behind this change to be fired! HoustonJetskiRiders.com We have been great customers of Meetup for years...Not any longer!

nonayab
2/3/18

For the love... It used to be very user friendly and an awesome little calendar to easily check what was going on for several weeks in advance. Now, it's complicated as all get out and organizers are having a lot of trouble figuring out how to update/change meetups and so have been neglecting it all together, to the dismay of members that end up going then to the wrong place. Ugh... Also, it would be awesome for those of us that don't make any money off of the meetup to get a reprieve from the monthly cost of it... It's very expensive for anyone that is not a business promoting themselves.

jeffl136
2/1/18

Meetup used to be a pretty good site. But with each makeover, the look and feel and functionality continue to degrade. I am an organizer and I know several other organizers who all agree that using Meetup is an exercise in rage and frustration. You want to start throwing things. Yeah, it's that bad.

miked319
2/1/18

They have slowly taken away features and the new site is horrible. The app has lost a lot of features too. Our groups will be moving to another service.

deanr40
1/30/18

I organized a Meetup, and started to get folks joining the group. Every time I went to welcome a new member, I would get an error message indicating that I was not authorized to send messages to group members. I started getting messages for 'Joe'. My name is Dean. Somehow they got the wires crossed, and I was not able to organize meetings, reply to questions, or use any other organizer functions. I tried calling a customer service number that I found on the internet. It was a recording directing everyone to the website/email support. They do not answer emails directly, but instead send you a list of FAQs as answers. I had my credit card company reverse the charges and disbanded the group.

jeffh197
1/29/18

Check out my site p2pcolorado.com....working to replace failing meetup, as a five year organizer, with my own site.....Meet-up sucks.....hate it now! Also lost a bunch of unpaid members and all control of my group....lame!

galinaz1
1/26/18

Almost 1.2k of my group members were removed by Meetup.com, after I stopped charging member fees. I had to stop charging, because Meetup.com put all the unpaid members in trial...pending removal...mode. So basically, they just took my money for 6 months and took away more than 90% of my members. Now, I have no way to contact many of my friends. I emailed them and tweeted at them... So far, no response. :(

davisf9
1/23/18

I don't even know what to say... they are methodically disabling everything that made Meetup great for such a long time

michellel227
1/22/18

No warning, or if there was one it was not adequate since they send me countless emails daily and i just instantly erase them. I had 1400 members and annual membership due. It was free to be in the group but had to pay the due for the year to attend. Thats fine i had long time users some would not pay one year but come back. No warning overnight my members went from 1400 something to barely 100 members (the current paid members). I haven't been able to successfully have a meetup in months. They booted all of my members then they charged me $90! Also new design sucks hate it. Complained to them on Facebook no one responds, through the site no one responds. I want my $90 back they destroyed my group and I have had ONE meetup since November. I used to have 2-3 a month. The one meetup that i did have was my mostly my friends. Disputing it on my AMEX hope i win. They suck now. Sad to have my group end but i don't want to start over and i hate the new site.

lindac338
1/20/18

Did you know Meetup sold to WeWork in November for $30 million.
You can't get ahold of anyone!! I've emailed support four times since December. No response.

dubb4
1/18/18

After using it for 5+ years it seems to be that latest interface (Dec 2017) changes were done without any consideration for ease of use, enhanced presence and needs of users or organizers.

It is equally difficult for paying organizers as it is for free users, to organize things, communicate or find events of interest.

It is time to move on to new platform for us as they have destroyed everything what made it worth using it.

It is hard to understand why meetup.com management decided to gamble their position this way.

Guys, organizers are paying for your services and it is likely that we'll walk out and use other platforms now.

No reason to stay.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

All Meetup has now is a database of names and a reasonably efficient way of routing new members to your group. But the tools for organizers are wretched and, by design, have gotten worse. This is the only company I've ever seen that doesn't care what the application users, in particular the organizers, want and need. The list of bad changes is very long--and they don't give a damn. And to add insult to injury, they are inept at application development and coding. They pushed out what might be laughably called alpha code and then scrambled to fix issues, saying "it was a work in progress." A major software release should not be a work in progress. Without comment, they remove functionality. For instance, when asked why they removed the ability to post a note on the calendar, their answer was that "only 3% use the feature. So what--now only 3% are pissed? leaving the feature cost them nothing. I evaluated software from Microsoft and others for a living. Meetup by far is the worst I have ever seen. The "show runners" should be fired and given bad recommendations. And when a competitor comes along that is competent and cares about its users, Meetup will disappear and we'll all celebrate. The organizers en masse don't just dislike the app, they dislike the folks responsible for the mess that Meetup has created.

By John E.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup