Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

jockm
1/4/18

I'm tired of seeking an answer to the problems on Meetup caused by an update removing a list of functions too long to list. Suffice to say Meetup fails miserably to address the issues and refuses to roll back until they're ready to release a workable update. Please don't waste your money on this.

paulh328
1/4/18

Who on earth are these so called technical people at Meetup, they have killed a perfectly good system, all the tools need to create events, set them out properly, give them your own personal touch have been removed. My new member uptake has droppped drastically, exsisting members can no longer find their way around the site, organisers are pulling their hair out trying to get events up and running. Most organisers are now looking for alternatives and getting ready to jump ship. Meetup seem oblivious to what their customers are saying. Marketing and technical people cant even agree on the same thing and contradict themselves, I have never seen a company attacked so vigorously across social media as meetup has with this disastrous roll out. It appears that no beta testing was done nor was their paying customers consulted. This backwards step could mean the end for Meetup, ignoring your paying customers is not the way to succeed.

michelleh275
1/2/18

As an organizer, I cannot be less impressed with the recent (Dec 2017) changes to the Meetup platform. So many helpful features and organizational functionality is being removed that its just another FB or twitter feed (discussions of 140 characters? Really?) We can no longer post documents, our 'pages' were full of resources and information, our discussion threads were great, our sponsors were listed on our homepage, (as was the full name and thumbnail of my awesome co-organizer)... and the response time from the support team which used to be in 24-48 hours, is now significantly longer or not at all. Disappointed and looking for alternatives that get us back to where we were!! Who is this being 'improved' for anyways?

***Adding to this review a week later after seeing other posts... what exactly ARE we going to do here fellow organizers? Meetup is essentially unusable in its current form, and its a total time suck to try to make it work... but if we bail, where do we bail to?

stacyh58
1/2/18

It sucks! Has an organizer I find the "new and improved" Meetup.com terrible. It's difficult to upload pictures, make comments, you can't edit attendance, all features we use to be able to use. You can't see the page sponsors. Sorry meetup but it's hard to manage a page from my phone, especially when many of my page files are already on my laptop. Not sure we will continue to pay for the bad service much longer.

andyn31
1/2/18

I've tried giving them a chance but despite the many concerns raised, their recent update has absolutely ruined the experience for my two groups. Functionality on the website is now awful, and members have to hunt to figure out the most basic things thanks to the total overhaul. Meetup seemingly couldn't care less! I've somehow been an Organizer for almost 9 years now and what used to work just fine has been trashed. It's clear they do not listen to feedback, as I find it difficult to imagine anyone was in favor of the new version. We are now looking elsewhere and will quit Meetup as soon as possible. I'd give them zero stars if that were an option.

philipw46
1/2/18
• Updated review

Despite so many negative reviews of their Update, Meetup has yet to respond to Organizers or reach out in any capacity. What a horrible Site!!! They could care less about anything other than revenue.

“New revised Site is awful”
12/19/17
• Previous review

Either they were trying to improve the Site or trying to justify someone's salary. In any event, the Meetup Team have done a wonderful job at screwing up the Site. The changes make it extremely difficult to manage for Organizers. So many features we used to be able to do cannot be done any longer. It is really bad and not conducive to joining or belonging to. It is awful.

craigl50
12/29/17

I cant believe they charge money for this site. Has to be the worst design I have ever seen or used.
Redesign removed noshows
Customer support responds with totally incorrect info
People bypass group owner authorization by paying with PayPal. Automatically lets them join group

Destroyed the app and have made it the most confusing thing ever.

Facebook please make something and crush these people.

I have even started a petition please sign

yvonneb62
12/22/17

I agree with the other reviewers. I have been an organizer for 2 1/2 years and this update makes the site SO difficult to navigate! Besides not showing the full RSVP list - it is so much more difficult to post events without the address being linked to the event. NO "Whats New" side bar!! I have sent multiple emails to them with NO response. Is there an alternative kind of site???

wesleym49
12/19/17

Without a doubt, one of the very worst, most incompetent front-end re-designs I have experienced in two decades. The administrator responsible for this disaster should be fired, immediately.
I maintain the meetup site for 2 or 3 meetups here in Portland, and it was easy to post new events on the old meetup.com site. But this one was useless: non-working tabs, wouldn't let me upload photos, half-finished events would disappear and I would start over, etc, etc. Absolutely the worst.

leez11
12/18/17

Why is it now necessary in this new Meetup system to download the attendance list for each event in order to get a print out of those attending? Another antiquated idea that's been incorporated into this new system which seems to have re-evolved from 2002. The previous system worked very well and everyone seemed happy with it. Now as an organizer all I hear are complaints from my membership. Speaking of membership, any new membership has basically come to an abrupt halt. Since the new site roll out, in the last 3 week I have 2 new members. The previous 3 week total was 18. I think that says it all.
What happened to the message board announcements? We used to get alerts on the main page when a new announcement was put up.----------

Since writing this review of the new Meetup, I've come across an alternate solution to the Meetup dilemma, it's called "The Groups Place". I started a new group on this new format and so far I am very impressed. Now I have something to fall back on when and if I remove the 3 Meetup groups that I organize. Give it a try, so far it's free to both members and organizers.

kayd170
12/17/17

I have tried several times to upload pictures today, but they won't upload. I tried with both Edge and IE. The pictures are not very big, and I COULD upload pictures 3 weeks ago or so. When I click on Add Pictures, the screen gets darker and just sits there, with no pictures being uploaded.

benb155
12/16/17

What have your techs been smoking? Now it looks like I have to buy an IPAD to get some of the features to work. I can't even make a comment on my events. And that's only part of the problems. Read your reviews and comments!!!!

johne314
12/15/17

It's hard to believe that a company cares so little about the customers--the folks who write the checks--as to perpetrate such a mess. But they know we hate the changes--and them--and yet persist in disingenuous comments such as "we want our organizers to love the application" and "we made the changes to help the organizers." Nonsense. Email not getting to members? They don't care. Strip away the ability to put a note on the calendar? Apparently not a problem to them, after all the web app doesn't even have a calendar. A fixed aspect ratio for photos in the event descriptions that trashes many photos? Who cares. Maybe it's time they cut all the bull$#*! and give their true vision for MEETUP. Apparently, a smartphone-only app that has no group organizers, just folks who post ad hoc meeting notices open to anyone nearby.

rm165
12/12/17

I can not pay my dues for ANY meet ups. Even created new ids, used different cards, computers, devices. Google chrome, IOS, PC, Mac - nothing works!!

al31150
12/6/17

I signed up to host a group for one month on Meetup.com, for $14.99. While checking my credit card statement the next month, I noticed that I had been charged again for another month of hosting. I did not sign up for this, or if I did, it was because something was snuck in with fine print. Anyway, I wrote to them and asked them to refund the second month. No reply. I just wrote to them again today. The next step is that I'll have to contact my credit card and file it as a fraudulent charge. This site is a waste of time and I suspect they expect people to not notice these recurring charges. Shame on them. Besides this, many people on the site never actually go to meet ups.

jamiles
12/6/17

Meetup is going through a transition and things are not good.

I have been an organizer or assistant organizer for multiple Meetup.com groups over the past five years. It's a great way to meet new people who have similar interests, it's usually a safe way to meet new friends, and it can offer new experiences at events to teach you a new skill.

That said, Meetup was sold in late 2017 and they have been undergoing a re-programming of the website and it has been a disaster. As an organizer, I find it harder and harder each day to use either the website or the mobile app because links are broken, tools I used to use are no longer working or missing, and members of my group are being dropped from event without their permission.

Meetup corporate has changed their phone number and emails to their team are bouncing back unanswered. The few people who used to be there to help with web problems are gone. I'm still paying almost $200 a year for the ability to use Meetup with my group, but getting more frustrated each week as more problems arise.

It's not that we organizers cannot learn their new system. It's that the new system does not work as promised. If anyone is checking reviews and thinking of becoming an organizer and using Meetup my advise would be to wait 4-6 months and not sign up right now. You will pull your hair out waiting for things to be fixed. If I didn't have so many events already on the calendar I would walk away from Meetup today.

Update 2/28/18. Website is still not usable. I and my members are fed-up with the lack of support from Meetup management. This week I told Meetup I will not renew when my group comes up for the next payment.

carlose27
12/5/17

This is the age of social media and Meetup is the new way to supposedly "meet" people. Although it is easy to sign up, some groups are excessively exclusive to join. Some group leaders also suffer from mental problems or drama and will block/remove you from their group for unexplained reasons. Some groups are just plain phony where you pay to attend an information seminar and the hosts are just charlatans who use it as their way of making a living.
Meetup has not helped me find real friends, yet there have been some good free events worth attending. Your Mileage Will Vary.

robertj259
12/4/17

By and large it has turned into a way for businesses and people to make money off members who are looking to expand their social circle. Service businesses hold "learning" sessions to sell their services. Restaurants advertise "social events" to get you to come in and buy food and drink. Trips are advertised at rates that are higher than if you did them on your own. "Self-help" and "self-improvement" retreats are offered by individuals to make money that prey on lonely, desperate and troubled people.

rayw66
11/13/17

They block people trying to subscribe first time, for NO reason, and block ability to ever dispute, because you have to sign in to ask a question and you cannot sign in.

I will encourage any groups I care about to move elsewhere. They are completely clueless. Lots of other reviews here demonstrate that, lowest rating I have seen here on businesses I check on, and it appears that they couldn't care less.

mikea196
11/1/17

I'm part of a Real Estate Mastermind. We have members in over 50 markets that have posted the same meetup as myself. For some reason, Meetup is denying my meetup. I've sent them screen shots, etc. Their reason is always a blatant error/inability to read. They're terrible. I can't organize a real estate meetup, but meetup.com allow ANTIFA to "meetup"....
You've gotta be kidding me.....
Terrible company

louisew56
10/3/17

Wherever you are going just make sure you travel safely back and forth, also what is the difference between making friends at meetup or anywhere else??? be your own best friend and go to meetup or out with friends to benefit yourself, and meet likeminded people, you can meet strange people or users at work or old school friends can change whatever!! it makes no difference, there is a world full of people, as long as you are careful (which is obvious anyway) you should be fine, you could know someone for 40 years and find out they've done something terrible, you could know someone 1 day and they could be lovely!!

fuckheads
9/30/17

Great idea. Lousy execution. I host a meeetup group as well. Its what I would expect in say the year 1999.

francesl21
9/29/17

Agree with John W. Hang out with a bunch of strangers from the start, go to another meet up and hang out with another group of strangers. Also outings like theatre what is the point of pairing up with strangers in the foyer and paying them a fee for the 'pleasure.' Might as well not go or go alone. Also a lot of meet up at are clubs that exist anyway so why go with strangers ?

ruudj
9/1/17

Don 't trust this organisation they don 't Pay their bill in Utrecht (holland) and their contact person "Lucian Naie"(+31615071253)will scam you!!!!!!! Don"t ever take their reservation

jaym222
8/30/17

This was a good service once, but that was before Scott Heiferman decided to provide infrastructure and organization to the violent protests we see today. #NoMeetup #NoAntifa #CivilRightsForAll

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup