Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

fayed9
1/13/18

I tried to unsubscribe to meetup emails I didn't even subscribe to. The site required me to sign up - ha! - to be able to unsubscribe. STUPID!!!! Meetup, leave me alone!!!!

leslieg57
1/12/18

I have used Meetup for over 5 years and with their latest update (late 2017 and continuing) all of the functions to successfully manage my group have been taken away in favor of "pretty" and phone "user friendly" for members. Chip-in - gone from the site; # of guests - gone from the site; monitoring # of no-shows - gone from the site; copying stored pictures to another event - all of the pictures are gone. I'm looking for another platform before the "improvements" become any worse!

erick474
1/10/18

It used to be a pretty good site, but pointless redesigns which reduce important functionality, while making other functionality harder to find and use has made this site ripe for a competitor to replace them. Now if a competitor would just appear ...

Well since no one else did, I just built and released a competitor- https://www.uGetTogether.com We pride ourselves on our 20/20 vision- being 20% better for 20% less money. Of course, we'll probably need to change the first number as we continue to turn out improvements and they continue to sit on their hands. Probably our biggest improvement is that we will be listening to our users!

peterb263
1/10/18

We have been using Meetup for 6 years and now they cocked the whole thing up we will be leaving if they don't bring back the old format. This was so easy for the older users of our club, now they don't bother as too hard. Why stuff up something that was working, fire the tosser who gave it the new look

randyc85
1/9/18

All of the earlier functionality is gone. The site is flat and featureless now. The December 2017 update has almost made me lose interest in Meetup, and especially paying $260 a year to use it.

alanl82
1/8/18

After years and year of using meetup we are forced to look for a new system to organize our 'meetups'. At first I thought the new platform was a work in progress or required a bit of a learning curve but after giving it a serious shot I have to say it almost unusable and a huge step backward.

deborahh116
1/8/18

Until they fix their new site, or switch back to the old one, I recommend avoiding this service. The new one might be better for the 60% of users on mobile devices, but the old one was definitely better for the other 40% of us, especially organizers. Ive been emailing Meetup support for weeks with problems, e.g. members not notified of meetups, map pins incorrect and unfixable, but Ive only received unhelpful automated responses. Im guessing they are overwhelmed with problems after their premature cutover their new format.

deniseh94
1/8/18

As an organizer, Im shocked that any functionality is all but lost with the new system. To schedule a meetup, you cant format text, cant add price, or change number of guests allowed. The max number of guests you do set doesnt get set. Forget copying an old meetup and keeping the same settings. Worst of all, If you do want to set price, youre directed to the old interfaceand guess what? If you didnt save first, if you click on go to the old interfaceyou just lost your copy. THEN when you manage to get a meetup scheduled...the rsvp list is unreliable. Users rsvp or un-rsvp and the system doesnt always record it. The syncing between the mobile app isnt reliable...also it doesnt seem to show maximum number of participants to users...and thats just from an organizers POV -my community of users isnt happy either. What the heck? Meetup currently owns this market - how could their systemtheir ONE PRODUCTfail so badly?

suzannes67
1/7/18

i've been an organizer on meetup for 4 years now and now have over 1300 members - i've worked hard to build up this group. since the changes last month - I am so very frustrated along with many other organizers as the new system is barely usable. Its a terrible upgrade - i'm hoping that another company/developer will come up with a new system and roll out something that is user friendly and scalable as well. shame on meetup for doing this - they will go down!

judim14
1/7/18

I am not normally a complainer but as the organizer of a social meetup, I am totally fed up with trying to use the website and just go with a Facebook page and use eVite. It seems I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to address an issue I'm having and I feel my time is better spent with other things. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to mark certain people who RSVP'd they were coming to an event as no-shows but am coming up empty. Plus I marked the people who did come and Meetup still maintained the head count for all who RSVP'd including the no-shows that I did not mark as attending!!!

Also - the site is not the least bit attractive and just difficult to navigate. I think by now (1-7-18) any issues they said they were having/fixing should have been remedied. Meetup is not cheap and I have a hard time justifying the amount we are paying, so it may be time to tell Meetup goodbye!

ninaw14
1/6/18

Go back to the old version!! We are PAYING to use this site and it's unusable! You have added so many new features and taken out the old ones. Get back to the concept! NO ONE LIKES IT!!

jaynes17
1/6/18

You have made many changes over the last year all of which have created issues with me running my group in an efficient manner. Now you have released the absolutely worst version of all! This is not an effective way to run a business where you are charging me to use your site and now you are making it difficult! Can't believe you released such a poor version of this site!

jockm
1/4/18

I'm tired of seeking an answer to the problems on Meetup caused by an update removing a list of functions too long to list. Suffice to say Meetup fails miserably to address the issues and refuses to roll back until they're ready to release a workable update. Please don't waste your money on this.

paulh328
1/4/18

Who on earth are these so called technical people at Meetup, they have killed a perfectly good system, all the tools need to create events, set them out properly, give them your own personal touch have been removed. My new member uptake has droppped drastically, exsisting members can no longer find their way around the site, organisers are pulling their hair out trying to get events up and running. Most organisers are now looking for alternatives and getting ready to jump ship. Meetup seem oblivious to what their customers are saying. Marketing and technical people cant even agree on the same thing and contradict themselves, I have never seen a company attacked so vigorously across social media as meetup has with this disastrous roll out. It appears that no beta testing was done nor was their paying customers consulted. This backwards step could mean the end for Meetup, ignoring your paying customers is not the way to succeed.

michelleh275
1/2/18

As an organizer, I cannot be less impressed with the recent (Dec 2017) changes to the Meetup platform. So many helpful features and organizational functionality is being removed that its just another FB or twitter feed (discussions of 140 characters? Really?) We can no longer post documents, our 'pages' were full of resources and information, our discussion threads were great, our sponsors were listed on our homepage, (as was the full name and thumbnail of my awesome co-organizer)... and the response time from the support team which used to be in 24-48 hours, is now significantly longer or not at all. Disappointed and looking for alternatives that get us back to where we were!! Who is this being 'improved' for anyways?

***Adding to this review a week later after seeing other posts... what exactly ARE we going to do here fellow organizers? Meetup is essentially unusable in its current form, and its a total time suck to try to make it work... but if we bail, where do we bail to?

stacyh58
1/2/18

It sucks! Has an organizer I find the "new and improved" Meetup.com terrible. It's difficult to upload pictures, make comments, you can't edit attendance, all features we use to be able to use. You can't see the page sponsors. Sorry meetup but it's hard to manage a page from my phone, especially when many of my page files are already on my laptop. Not sure we will continue to pay for the bad service much longer.

andyn31
1/2/18

I've tried giving them a chance but despite the many concerns raised, their recent update has absolutely ruined the experience for my two groups. Functionality on the website is now awful, and members have to hunt to figure out the most basic things thanks to the total overhaul. Meetup seemingly couldn't care less! I've somehow been an Organizer for almost 9 years now and what used to work just fine has been trashed. It's clear they do not listen to feedback, as I find it difficult to imagine anyone was in favor of the new version. We are now looking elsewhere and will quit Meetup as soon as possible. I'd give them zero stars if that were an option.

philipw46
1/2/18
• Updated review

Despite so many negative reviews of their Update, Meetup has yet to respond to Organizers or reach out in any capacity. What a horrible Site!!! They could care less about anything other than revenue.

“New revised Site is awful”
12/19/17
• Previous review

Either they were trying to improve the Site or trying to justify someone's salary. In any event, the Meetup Team have done a wonderful job at screwing up the Site. The changes make it extremely difficult to manage for Organizers. So many features we used to be able to do cannot be done any longer. It is really bad and not conducive to joining or belonging to. It is awful.

craigl50
12/29/17

I cant believe they charge money for this site. Has to be the worst design I have ever seen or used.
Redesign removed noshows
Customer support responds with totally incorrect info
People bypass group owner authorization by paying with PayPal. Automatically lets them join group

Destroyed the app and have made it the most confusing thing ever.

Facebook please make something and crush these people.

I have even started a petition please sign

yvonneb62
12/22/17

I agree with the other reviewers. I have been an organizer for 2 1/2 years and this update makes the site SO difficult to navigate! Besides not showing the full RSVP list - it is so much more difficult to post events without the address being linked to the event. NO "Whats New" side bar!! I have sent multiple emails to them with NO response. Is there an alternative kind of site???

wesleym49
12/19/17

Without a doubt, one of the very worst, most incompetent front-end re-designs I have experienced in two decades. The administrator responsible for this disaster should be fired, immediately.
I maintain the meetup site for 2 or 3 meetups here in Portland, and it was easy to post new events on the old meetup.com site. But this one was useless: non-working tabs, wouldn't let me upload photos, half-finished events would disappear and I would start over, etc, etc. Absolutely the worst.

leez11
12/18/17

Why is it now necessary in this new Meetup system to download the attendance list for each event in order to get a print out of those attending? Another antiquated idea that's been incorporated into this new system which seems to have re-evolved from 2002. The previous system worked very well and everyone seemed happy with it. Now as an organizer all I hear are complaints from my membership. Speaking of membership, any new membership has basically come to an abrupt halt. Since the new site roll out, in the last 3 week I have 2 new members. The previous 3 week total was 18. I think that says it all.
What happened to the message board announcements? We used to get alerts on the main page when a new announcement was put up.----------

Since writing this review of the new Meetup, I've come across an alternate solution to the Meetup dilemma, it's called "The Groups Place". I started a new group on this new format and so far I am very impressed. Now I have something to fall back on when and if I remove the 3 Meetup groups that I organize. Give it a try, so far it's free to both members and organizers.

kayd170
12/17/17

I have tried several times to upload pictures today, but they won't upload. I tried with both Edge and IE. The pictures are not very big, and I COULD upload pictures 3 weeks ago or so. When I click on Add Pictures, the screen gets darker and just sits there, with no pictures being uploaded.

benb155
12/16/17

What have your techs been smoking? Now it looks like I have to buy an IPAD to get some of the features to work. I can't even make a comment on my events. And that's only part of the problems. Read your reviews and comments!!!!

johne314
12/15/17

It's hard to believe that a company cares so little about the customers--the folks who write the checks--as to perpetrate such a mess. But they know we hate the changes--and them--and yet persist in disingenuous comments such as "we want our organizers to love the application" and "we made the changes to help the organizers." Nonsense. Email not getting to members? They don't care. Strip away the ability to put a note on the calendar? Apparently not a problem to them, after all the web app doesn't even have a calendar. A fixed aspect ratio for photos in the event descriptions that trashes many photos? Who cares. Maybe it's time they cut all the bull$#*! and give their true vision for MEETUP. Apparently, a smartphone-only app that has no group organizers, just folks who post ad hoc meeting notices open to anyone nearby.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

All Meetup has now is a database of names and a reasonably efficient way of routing new members to your group. But the tools for organizers are wretched and, by design, have gotten worse. This is the only company I've ever seen that doesn't care what the application users, in particular the organizers, want and need. The list of bad changes is very long--and they don't give a damn. And to add insult to injury, they are inept at application development and coding. They pushed out what might be laughably called alpha code and then scrambled to fix issues, saying "it was a work in progress." A major software release should not be a work in progress. Without comment, they remove functionality. For instance, when asked why they removed the ability to post a note on the calendar, their answer was that "only 3% use the feature. So what--now only 3% are pissed? leaving the feature cost them nothing. I evaluated software from Microsoft and others for a living. Meetup by far is the worst I have ever seen. The "show runners" should be fired and given bad recommendations. And when a competitor comes along that is competent and cares about its users, Meetup will disappear and we'll all celebrate. The organizers en masse don't just dislike the app, they dislike the folks responsible for the mess that Meetup has created.

By John E.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup