Review of Match.com

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

chrise79
5/24/17

This site is overall not to bad. The problems is that they never clean up their database so most of the time you are looking at some dead profiles where the guys/girl didn't connect to for over a year. I understand they are doing that to give you hope, but it feels more like a fraud! They just give you a hint "inactive for more than 3 weeks"! The problem is that represents 90% of the profiles. In other words: you are losing your money.

danielv64
5/23/17

Sorry if im going over some of the same as above (tl;dr) but wanted to leave my tree fiddy on this. Ive been using match on and off for a couple of months + think im going to go back to WeJustFit again. At least I had a few dates on that dating site even if it didnt quite have the modern look that match has. At the end of the day im looking for love (or at least the potential of a relationship) and think my chances are better elsewhere. Sorry.

stacyd45
5/22/17

I am picky, friends talked me into it and it was the best thing I ever did! I met an amazing man. We have been together 3 years and are getting married this December. I couldn't imagine my life without him he's definitely the best thing to ever happen to me. There's certainly a lot of good/bad to everything but I would recommend this to everyone. Good luck.

hughb11
5/19/17

yes match.com is the newest business to employ spammers to send their un-wanted spam to fill your mail box..... they pay spammers for anyone who clicks or buys. I for one am sick of it !!!

meeb
5/18/17

I would avoid this dating website at all costs. Men are not serious they lie about how long they have been using Match, And I found them on many other dating websites. Please Watch out for this user on Match jbolton6 this person is a scammer. Stay away from Match and other dating websites very risky.

abrahamw15
5/14/17

Joan s/ if 45 & black male isnt to old for u give me a holla..fordgators1971@gmail.com its all on u no

rebeccar97
5/12/17

Two years ago I joined Match.com and was contacted by a scammer named Carlos Hernandez. I was scammed out of my entire life savings. If this person contacts you don't fall for it. He's all around the United States. His photos are fake and he is relentless in getting money wired to South Africa. Just a warning to members of Match.com. Match.com does not screen members on their site. Its a hunting ground for scammers.

catherinek28
5/11/17

Match.com took the wrong payment from my account, I immediately contacted customer service for a refund, as of today I am 5 weeks waiting for a refund of 166.00 euro, it has cost me a fortune calling and being left waiting for my call to be answered, match.com is now trying to tell me it's the banks problem, my account has been suspended and I still have no refund.. very very disappointed and would not recommend this site to anyone. Catherine K

laurar121
5/9/17

I sat on the free trial for several days , considering whether I would join , during that time a got a message that I had one message I could answer for free . Attached to it was an email . I was so new to this , and excited to have taken this step . Anyways I paid for six months but upon the first day , this scammer had his hooks into me . Convinced me , that in order to work on a relationship , we should leave the site . For three weeks , loved bombed then , he said he wanted to send me something from over seas . He sure did , 148 long stemmed roses and a teady bear . Then 4 weeks , things started to get weird . He's asking me for 5000us . Now he's angry ! I'm like I don't have that kind of money and a man that is able to send me that amount of flowers , doesn't need to be asking me for money . Then the extortion came , I was video you . I'm like so what . Not much of a video . But now I was scared . Had the police in the house , notified credit bureau, knew my identy meaning pictures have been stolen . Moneygram and western union notified . FDF Flowers , note they didn't return my call they promised . And then match ... Fought with them at how they were putting members at risk with their site . Argued that they were aware that email was sent to me and that they should have notified me , I was at risk .. Don't you think a flag would go up , joins one day and then the next gone . My life has been a mess for two months dealing with this ordeal . I was ready to love again and now I'm too afraid too . So much more to say , but you get the idea . It's not safe , from the young to the old , scammers are there and ready to bounce and match does nothing to protect you .

markm370
5/9/17

Match is owned by IAC/InterActive Corp. They own nearly all of the brands you can think of, in their words, "45 brands, including Match, OkCupid, Tinder, Meetic, Twoo, PlentyOfFish, OurTime, BlackPeopleMeet, Parperfeito, e-harmony, Chemistry, Delightful, Howaboutwe, FriendScout24, and that's only 13 of the 45.

If you're trying to find someone online, you're probably going through one of their sites.

The worst thing about Match and all of the dating services I've tried is the autorenewal feature. It will take your money every, month/3 months/year you sign up. I usually google how to deactivate autorenewal, because it is hidden. The good news is you can turn off your subscription, the same day you sign up which stops autorenewal, but still allows you to use the service for the duration of what you've paid. Additionally, they will offer discounted rates for you to renew at the end of your contract, compared to autorenewal.

A lot of online dating services will have bots contact you about meeting. I did NOT experience this on Match, but did have that experience on other services, which were probably owned by IAC... Anyway, there are fraudulent accounts that will contact you on Match, but they were fairly easy for me to identify. The characteristics were as follows: 1. Young, in their twenties, I'm almost 50; 2. Gorgeous, way out of my league; 3. No preferences about the men they wanted to meet; 4. English was not their native language and it was apparent in their profile; and 5. The profiles almost always said, "I'm not a paying member, contact me at," and then they'd list an email address that was written out so Match wouldn't immediately detect it. They usually were gone within 24 hours and would like/wink/message me when online.

In my experience there are 3 types of members on Match: 1. Those using it as entertainment, window shoppers, they won't respond; 2. The tentative, may like/email/call, but won't go out; and 3. The adventurous, these are the buyers, they'll go out and they know what they want. If you know what you want, you'll have a better experience.

Profiles - can tell you a lot or nearly nothing. My philosophy was to fill out everything on the profile page I could, but get your pictures right first. Your profile shot should be a head shot. Learn how to use you family and friends to get a great picture or learn how to use your phones voice activation. Smile. Think of something hillarious, a good smile is essential. Have a full body shot. A recent full body shot. Do NOT take that picture in a bathroom or a gym. Have a picture of you doing something that you love and try to make it obvious you like doing it. Three pictures are minimum. Less than that, conveys you're lazy.

Nobody reads profiles, until they've vetted your pictures. Most are nearly exactly the same. In the Kansas City area, and probably the rest of the world, women want a funny guy. Guys like funny girls. If you tell somebody you're funny, you're doing what nearly everybody else does. If you make them laugh while they read your profile, you won't need to tell them you're funny and you've differentiated yourself. Smart people write more than dumb ones. Make 'em laugh and tell them about something you're passionate about.

When setting up for the first time, it can take a month before you go out on a date. That was my experience. Each time I renewed, I got outreach much faster. Always being visible will lower your results. Hide your profile when you've got someone interesting after your first date. I scheduled as many first dates around the same time as possible and let the cards fall where they may. Inevitably you'll have to cancel some dates, if you find someone interesting. If that interesting person doesn't pan out, you can go back to the ones you've cancelled. Usually, a rescheduled first date is a permanent cancel, but a cancelled first date due to meeting someone, can work out well. Ya need to understand the difference.

I've been on and off Match since about April 2013. I began as a separated man. Separated has a stigma, so does never married above 35 years old. It's good to know your level of attractiveness. The Discovery channel did a documentary on the Science of Sex Appeal and it addresses a lot of issues people misunderstand.

On Match my outreach was horrible, my profile brought a lot of interested women, many of which I was attracted to, but meeting always provided better insight. I usually posted 15 to 20 pics and had captions on all of them. I tried to make women laugh and stand out from the rest.

Sometimes "reverse match" worked better than mutual match or discover. Match will often delete your preferences, so be careful when searching. I dated women 15 years younger than me up to nine years older.

In summary, be patient, be polite, be nice and be honest. If you're not getting any response, it's you or at least your presentation on Match. If you want to see your competition, open your public profile. On the left side, there's a link that says "see more like _______" click it and you'll see other members you're competing with and be able to read 4-5 lines of their profile. If they're more interesting than you, ya need to do something about that.

andyk55
5/9/17

So many people trolling with shi**y opinions but I think they are just bitter because theyve realised that net dating isnt the be all and end all. Match is not as bad as some here will have you think but it's also not as good as some lesser known sites, like wejustfit.com. Id say its 90 % about where you live and how many people are using the same website as you within a certain proximity. That and staying patient because no dating app is going to find you the one over night, it takes time and effort trying different sites at the same time and figuring out (after blowing a little cash here and there) which one is worth your trouble. No point coming to these review platforms and complaining , as with anything in life there aint no guarantees folks...but I can say (from experience) that if you find a good one they can lead to a fulfilling relationship. The rest is just up to you.

bebeb2
5/9/17

Automatic renewals with no warning. No choice of disputing the charge with them. No luck changing from a 6 month to a 1 month subscription. No communication with them whatsoever.

peterm257
5/7/17

Waste of my 75$.. dead. The one girl I took to dinner another 40$ then I got used for the first time in my life. Then fell off the world. #refundplease and should not even get rating but had to leave one

rickg62
5/5/17

Been using several dating sites during the last couple months. Decided to use Match, Mingle2day and Cupid. Did not really like Cupid, to be honest but had a couple of dates on Mingle2day and Match. Both sites are really worth trying. 4 out of 5.

sandrac110
5/3/17

The site is not clear on authorization of charging options. It didn't give me many options for guys so I stopped using it and figured three months were done. Geez. I didn't realize until three extra charges later that I was continually being charged! I complained and got one charge removed. I got robbed $140 from match.com

juliel108
5/3/17

This site should be shut down! They do not tell you they will auto-charge your card $150, and offer no recourse. I have never done business with such a unethical company before! The dating options are poor, and definitely not worth it considering the apps out there are way superior.

brendaf56
5/2/17

I was very unhappy with the service, a lot of the responses were fraudulent. I signed up for 3 month trial and was automatically renewed without my knowledge and then told I was not eligible for a refund. I feel I was ripped off.

joans98
5/1/17

The men there NEVER answer. If they happen to answer run because they are stalkers or African scam artists. I was approached by all the wrong men. You can specify if something totally turns you off so you get matched with smokers, drinkers, whatever. They were all matched with me. Not worth the money. By the way, full disclosure... I was kicked off the site. I have no idea why. They didn't tell me. they just said I did something wrong and they were terminating my account and refunding my money. So, if you want a refund piss someone off. lol

angela1877
4/30/17

Several scammers promising to be your girlfriend. Lots of women looking for the knight in shinning armor. Lots of fake pictures and fake profiles.

sandrab162
4/29/17

If you want to be scammed by all the fake profiles or by match.com themselves, then this is the place for you. I would not recommend this site to a dog! What a joke

jakem72
4/29/17

All dating sites have a large capacity of fake profiles and they are made to basically take advantage of the desperate and lonely. As far as Match.com specifically I discovered a number of things and also have a few ideas for those wanting to check out the service. Firstly, when I first joined up I was a free member. I instantly got lots of views and likes on my photo's but as I let time go by the likes and views started to diminish. I also had a number of emails from obviously fake profiles because the profiles that mailed me were of hot women that had only 1 profile pic, nothing about them hardly written and they were looking for a guy that was between the age (usually) 29 to 60. Seriously? The problem with Match and most all these dating sites is that when you sign up even as paid member you have no way to tell who else is a paid member. Guys wonder why when they send out 50 emails to women why they get no response back? Probably because the person on the other side is A. Not a paid member B. Is a fake profile or C. Just not interested The system is rigged this way as to get the lonely and desperate to fork down money and become a paying subscriber. Once you give them your credit card info it's over. I suggest using a debit card for this then pay for as many months as you want in advance then ask your bank to cancel your debit card and send you out a new one with a new number. Not that hard and it keeps Match or any other dating site from using it without your authority. How do you tell a fake profile? Easy. 1 profile pics, hardly anything written in the "about me" and it sounds generic and the specific questions left unanswered. I have two solutions for this. ALWAYS look for profiles that are filled out especially ones with specific information and not just "general" garbage. Ones that have at least 4 or 5 pics of them and make sure they are "realistic" and not something you'd find on some modeling site or google image search. Never go for women who put down that say they make 75 to $100,000 dollars a year and only want to talk with guys that make just as much or more. If they are so rich why would they even have to be on a dating site? Something that works for me is this. When doing a search for someone always search by "last active". When browsing profiles keep an eye on those who are always online anywhere from the last 24hrs to 3 days on a consistent basis and make sure they have a complete, filled out profile with lots of photo's. The more someone fills out their profile specifically the better chances they are real. Unfortunately by doing this you will sadly find that most of the real profiles are of not so good looking men/women. Another thing (and I would not suggest this for women) is under the part that says "Favorite Hot Spots" put down a place where you hang out on a constant basis and even put down what days. I did this. I said I work out at least 3 to 4 times a week at a specific gym so I figure if someone "real" REALLY wants to meet me maybe they can catch me at the gym and check me out first then approach me if they want. Again, women should NOT do this but for guys it may work. Dating sites are all in it to make money but the fact that nobody can tell who else is a paying member is the biggest issue. Why fork out $$$ when as far as you know all your likes, winks and emails are going to profiles that are not real? My advice is make a profile and keep it free for quite awhile and watch how your views get less and less. Don't be scammed by any of these dating sites because they all compete against each other for profit. Dating in today's world is not like it was in the 70's for sure.Just remember, if someone really wants to find someone special they will have taken the time to fill out their profile with the most information possible with "realistic" photo's of themselves. Like they say. If it's too good to be true it usually is.

lindas401
4/29/17

His name is kjdlittlebug. Alan G. Edmondson. Age 58 Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada. I transferred money from his business account to 2 banks with different beneficiaries. I'm not sure if it's a money laundering scam. He said he was working on an oil rig in Seattle. His company name is Bluescope Construction and he said he was Hungarian, widower, and had a daughter and 2 grandchildren in Tennessee where he supposedly also had a house.

els316
4/28/17

Please will all people with complaints forward their concerns here: onyourside@kdfwfox4.com
If we can provide enough interest in this story, we can have this Dallas news agency make this company ANSWER for their clever little games! Please fill out an online form for the TX Attorney General: http://txoag.force.com/CPDOnlineForm. I was a paying customer who called in to cancel. I was charged a renewal fee despite cancelling. I called in to dispute with Match.com who called me a liar and told me he would not refund me. He then told me that not only will they keep my money, they will block my access to the site. Basically, they are telling me to my face they are hustling me. They wrote into my credit card they will not refund me. I called into Match.com again and found out I was charged a 2nd renewal fee! I told them this is fraud and they cannot accept money and not provide services. I was told they were still "investigating" my dispute. It's time to make this company answer for their behavior. Customer service goes a long way.

michaeln116
4/27/17

They could care less too!! Same as so many other reviews here. Someone got into my account changed my information and charged things on my credit card. I have been trying to get help but you will spend hours talking to some people from India. So many fraudulent and fake profiles. Models who you know are fake with hidden profiles after they send you all these winks and alerts. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY< GO ELSEWHERE

brandih17
4/24/17

Match.com overcharged my credit card and refused to correct the error. Fraudsters! Horrible customer service.

1,052 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

50 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Match.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
rakeshb3
Rakesh B.
on 4/17/16
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Match.com