Review of Match.com

pr@match.com
2017 Customer choice award

garyc167
9/18/17

What can I say? Match still pretty much rules the roost. Sure there are some other contenders like WeJustFit (worth trying if you havent already) and maybe 2 or 3 others but overall I bet if you ask ten people on the street to name an online dating site then you can be sure 8 or 9 will say match.com.

cherylr59
9/15/17

I was only on a few days uploaded photos approved by match but was then terminated for some photo reason but they would not tell me other than I violated terms of use, all photos were approved by them, go figure and that I would have to take them to court to get the reason why acct was terminated. I was close to making a connection or so they say. I believe it.s all shady and a scam. not real Lj24

debs78
9/15/17

I signed up for and paid for ONE MONTH ONLY. Less than a month later there is a pending charge for the next month. I went in and cancelled immediately (which is a few days short of WHAT I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR) and called them to stoo the pending payment. They wont. Also my credit card had fraud on it right after I signed up. Its a sucky site anyway. DON'T SIGN UP!!!!!

forresth18
9/15/17

They auto-renewed a cancelled account and refused to refund the auto-renewed fee. They also refused to hand me up to a supervisor.
Basically, their policy is "sucks to be you, customer."
Use Match only on a pay-as-you-go basis.
They are just plain crooked.

herbh14
9/15/17

I signed up a few days I've had like 80 Likes,Winks,and messages saying Hi or Hello. I've replied to most of them and sent maybe 30 messages not 1 profile has even read my messages and some were replies to their message. These profiles are Match employees I'll bet they have very few real members don't waste your money try the free sites like Plenty of fish,Tinder,Meet me Bumble is also FAKE

danielc215
9/14/17

Do not sign up, Their main goal is to have users on their site to generate traffic so they can cash out with advertisers.
here are some of the reason i do not recommend this site:
- No refund
- Automatically charges your credit card after you requested to cancel before your month is up ( would not refund your money)
- fake profiles
- if you download their app - they will constantly send you "likes" and "wink" from members and once you tab on it, their is no such members.
- If you send messages to "members" you will get back prob 1 out of 100 because most of the profiles are inactive members from the past. A very good friend's image showed up with a "like" and i know for a fact that she has not been using this site for years since she was marry and had three kids). The image was from ten years ago.

All they care is your money and once they get a hold of it they are not letting go.

ebd1
9/13/17

I noticed several emails from men on match in a short period of time...1 hour. Then realized someone was writing back to these guys pretending to be me. My profile was hacked just two weeks into signing up for a 3 month membership by someone i did not know . I hid my profile, apologized to the men who were contacted by the person who hacked into my account. I was mortified. I contacted match and was told they could not do anything for me and the emails that were sent from my acct were spam....WTF???? and they refused to refund my money. Save your money. It's an awful site. The same guys are on pof and pof is free.

specialkk
9/13/17

Bad, bad business ethics, Match.com. Shame on you.

Six months ago, I signed up for 6 months for $119.94. I followed all the rules and regulations requested for qualifying for the additional 6-month guarantee when my first 6 months ran out.

They DID NOT send me an email (like they said in a phone conversation I had with them on 9/13/17) with a questionnaire I had to fill out to fulfill the 6-month guarantee. What they did do, however, was charge my credit card for ANOTHER $119.94 for an additional 6 months WITHOUT letting me know and without my consent.

I filed a dispute with my credit card company AND I contacted Match.com chat line and explained everything, where I was reassured that I would certainly receive my 6-month extension AND also be credited the $119.94 back to my credit card. Here is the chat transcript:

Chat By Chat (Corina D.) (09/11/2017 01:38 PM)
[01:31:53 PM]Hi, my name is Corina D.. Please give me a moment to review your account and I'll be right with you.
[01:32:09 PM]fancyfootwork3399@gmail.com: Okay.
[01:34:44 PM]Corina D.: Im sorry about the problem you had with your account today. Rest assured all has been taken care of.
[01:35:09 PM]fancyfootwork3399@gmail.com: Okay, thank you, but I still need you to hold to your promise of the 6-month guarantee.
[01:35:32 PM]Corina D.: Sure.
[01:35:40 PM]Corina D.: It's already credited.
[01:35:46 PM]fancyfootwork3399@gmail.com: So, I should be issued another 6 months for free according to your contract with me when I signed up. If I held up my end of the deal, which I did, I was promised another 6 months no charge.
[01:36:02 PM]Corina D.: Your current subscription is paid through 03/08/2018.
[01:36:14 PM]fancyfootwork3399@gmail.com: Okay, thank you. Would you please send me an email confirming all of this? fancyfootwork3399@gmail.com. Thank you.

The next day I went to sign into my account and found I was blocked in red saying that my account has been blocked and that I should check my email inbox for notification from you for more information. There was no such email in my inbox.

I called today to talk to someone at Match.com and they said because I filed a dispute with my credit card company that I was disqualified from my account and that if I wanted to continue, I would have to start all over again with a new account, new profile, new pictures and pay another $119.94 and THEN THE REPRESENTATIVE HUNG UP ON ME!

Wow. This is one dating site that I will never have anything to do with again, nor with I ever recommend it any any of my friends or clients.

Shame, shame, shame on you Match.com.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I was shown your true colors.

blakec26
9/10/17

I really don't care what everyone else is posting about Match. It was and still is one of the TOP dating sites on the internet. If you look at it from a neutral persepctive, there are only three TOP dating sites anyway: Match, Mingle2day and Eharmony. Sure that those sites are not perfect but you won't find better alternatives anyway.

tatatatas
9/9/17

match.com is completly scam.
I m asian.
I serch asian same my nationalty girl near my area.
Then came up many asian girl.
But Actually not same as my nationalty girl.
Fake same my nationalty .
Maybe can not understand other county people.
But I clearly understand different Korean, Japanes, Chinese.
Everygirl looks like same my nationalty.
I quit soon.
I know asian girl are populer.
But That was very cheap scam.
Do not under estimate AsIan.

tommyt39
9/4/17

Slow but steady start on match, but considering the hype im still not ready to give up my wejustfit.com membership. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people to browse but im just finding it hard to meet anyone that im that keen to actually date in person. I think ill use the two sites together for a while rather than putting my eggs in one basket.

danr119
9/4/17

A huge waste of time! About 30% to 50% of the profiles that are posted on Match are not active. They want you to think that there are substantially more people on the site than there really are. Also, there a numerous fraudulent profiles and Match does vertually nothing to weed these out. Overall, a BIG waste of time and money!

kimberlym134
9/2/17

I specifically signed up for one month and one month only it never said there would be any further charges but they charged me again and refuse to refund

carolyns92
9/2/17

The concept of Match is great. But here's the problem: for the short time I was a paid member on the site, I sent messages to potential matches based on their profile. Very few ever responded. Now it could be that I'm a real dud, but I don't think that's it. Match maintains profiles on people like me who haven't been paid members for months or years. When active paid members attempt to contact me via email, the only way I can respond is to pay for a membership. Isn't this false advertising when people like me are not active members but Match is representing me as a paid, available match??

johnd851
9/1/17

You can not reach match customer service people directly. These are the people who can actually fix stuff on your account. There is an intermediary group of people that you can call by phone but they have no power over your account. So when there is something wrong with your account, you have no ability to reach them and you are at their mercy to answer. My account has been locked over a week and they cant do anything about it and will not respond even though i called and emailed many times. Its a scam...stay away.

lorih77
8/31/17

I joined for 3 months last year (in May) and immediately got lucky and met a fantastic person who was a great match. Unfortunately it didn't last so I decided to give another try this summer. It started out OK, but most of the men I met looked older than their photos or stated age. After I burned through a couple months of matches without any luck, I started receiving the exact same guys recycled through as a suggested match. Then I started receiving really bad looking men who looked like losers or convicts. Not even close to my list of traits. At the same time, I was getting two to three fake profile likes and messages per day!!! I'd get an email that someone "liked" my photo and/or sent me a message. When I'd click on them, even within 30 minutes, their profile no longer existed. I was getting wise to be able to spot fake profiles. They use horrible punctuation and grammar, plus a lower case "i" when talking about themselves. This is supposedly from someone who has a graduate degree. Yeah, right!! I actually spotted a couple of different profiles with the EXACT same wording. I'm getting very skeptical now. Even if they sound halfway decent in their personal message to me, I'm reluctant to believe them. It's really ruining the whole experience. The real men don't want to invest the time to get to know you and decide after 2 hours whether you're worthy of another meeting. After my subscription is up this time I will not renew. Way too many fakes are ruining the experience. I can't figure out why they enjoy scamming people. No one has asked me for money yet, but they sure try and get your phone number/email right up front! Don't do it!!

oweng25
8/30/17

Auto renewed without my knowledge, expensive service, then refused my refund when I wasn't using the site. Customer service weren't just rude but passive aggressive and actively unhelpful.

shekinahg
8/24/17

So earlier today I joined this site as a non member. I saw a guys profile I liked and sent as smiley face as a non member. This act automatically brought up some message and subscribe now. Which I clicked on. It took me to a site that had a 6 month bundle for 21.99 a month. I thought what the check lets give this a whirl. So I put in my credit card info and next thing I know it says it charged 131!! I'm like is this a joke? So I immediately call the customer service line thinking it would not be an issue to get a refund. Boy was I wrong! Not only did they not give me a refund, they wouldn't let me speak to a manager, were rude and condescending and hung up on my face...twice!

And get this, they said I was not eligible for a refund bc I sent an email...apparently that message that popped up after I clicked the smiley face was sent automatically!!....so now I've paid 131 to send one email that I didn't write or send!! I'm at work but once I get off I will find the higher ups and get my refund. How on earth is that legal? -5 from me!!

melh35
8/15/17

Do not join this site they are just out to take advantage of people. Didn't meet anyone had a scammer contact me to try and get me to send him money. Plus they keep taking the money out of your account without contacting you even thou I was clearly not using there 'services' (I use that word very loosely) Do not waste your time or money

randallm31
8/14/17

This is the epitome of taking advantage of people"s emotion. Do believe all of the complaints you read posted by current and former users of Match . Com. DO NOT BELIEVE the false stories and advertisements that this company throws at you. Or, spend the money and find out for yourself! They should be prosecuted for false and misleading representation.....

johnh280
8/13/17

This site may have brought happiness to a few people, but really, how many marriages have actually resulted? I was on this site for one year. It was hell. I met ten women in person. I discovered that seven of them had used photographs that were ten to twenty years older than their actually appearance in person. I hardly recognized them when I first met them. Others just openly lied about their actual age. When I did a brief background check on them, some had understated their actual age by as much as ten years. To me, when a person tries to begin a relationship with such outright lies, it has no place to go. No place. The site in my opinion does a poor job of verifying ages, photographs, personal information of who is on the site. I was also contacted by outright scammers on the site asking for money.

rosalynj3
8/11/17

I tried to do the 3 day trial to see if I wanted to sign up and they automatically sign me up without me being able to do the trial. And that will give me my money back. And I've never used a service

ashleyc171
8/10/17

I joined match a few days ago. I thought that I would pay $21 a month for 6 months. I check my account and it had taken the full amount out of my account. Which ended up being $139. As soon as I signed up and checked my account I tried to get a refund, within 5 minutes of signing. THEY DON'T GIVE REFUNDS. I then decided to make the best of it because I already spent a fortune. I've messaged a few people with no replies. I went to see if they read the messages. Then there is a link saying GUARANTEE THEY CAN REPLY. They literally can't reply without paying an additional $56 for the 6 months. Are you kidding me?!?! What was the point of me paying in the first place. I don't care to look at pictures of people that I can't talk to. BIGGEST SCAM EVER!

kyleh65
8/7/17

I get the fuss over match, I really do. They have the members, the money to get more and they even have the option to do things like 'match nights'. So I cant figure out for the life of me why 1 month on wejustfit.com (after my friend recommended it) has brought me more fun than several weeks on match. Sometimes you're just paying for a name and in my experience, match is worth using but it's not the number 1 by a freaking long shot!

mikew258
8/7/17

Its a useful site but the number of fake profiles is ridiculous and annoying. My profile was hijacked and it took days to recover. They don't seem to care. If you have Firefox as a browser you can't even communicate with Match via email unless you change your browser, in other words they want to load you up with cookies. Once you deactivate your account they leave your profile up and then every time someone hits your page they send you a note saying someone is trying to contact you, you better sign back up. Its annoying.

1,052 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I was unable to get a refund but I dispute the transaction and got my money back that way. I said it was because they were not providing the service they claim to offer. If you can dispute with your bank just tell them you didn't authorize the transaction and the company refuses to refund you. Good luck.

By Lara W. on 4/18/16
Helpful answer

Absolutely NOT. This is a site that has only one purpose and that is to scam you out of your money. Not only are there scammers as stated by Diane H. and Sally C. this site is completely dishonest about how it works and what you can expect from it. I'll share this one example to illustrate. When you join with a credit card, they will inform you that you now have full access to their site and features. You can now send mail to the men and start meeting them. However, there is a catch that they do NOT mention on the sign up page. The catch is that you can send all the letters you want to the men, BUT, unless the men are also fully paid members, none of them are allowed to read your mail and reply to you. What is the point of paying to use the service when the other side must also have a fully paid membership? If you have paid your membership fee then by all standards you are now entitled to not only write to the men but to expect them to reply back to you. Not on match. There is an extra fee that you must pay so that non members can receive, read and reply to your mail. This is a SCAM on every level. Please save your money and avoid this site at all costs. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Read the testimonies on this site and understand that they are all 100% correct and accurate.

By josh l. on 8/26/15
Helpful answer

Back in the 1980s, strip clubs were pulling all sorts of over charge and fake charge scams and forcing people tp pay. Here in Atlanta a majpr federal case against the GOLD CLUB brought all that to light and alot of changes were made in the industry..... I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE....these social sites seem to be attempting the same types of scams and are getting away with it. By U.S. fedeal standars ALL THESE SITES FALL UNDER THE RACKETEERING STATUTE. Unfortunately there is NO enforcement of these laws at this time. Your best option is to dispute the entire charge with your credit card. They may not want to do this because they are seeing so much of it. BE FIRM AND INSIST IT IS A MATTER OF CREDIT FRAUD. Also be sure to indicate that you are filling a consumer notice with the Federal Trade Commision (they have online forms for this to keep a numbers count on how many people are affected by these sorts of things. www.FTC.org). If you have been a good card holder, you shouldnt have any issues except for 1: ALL THESE SITES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR REBILLING/DRAFTING YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNT. You may want to file a COMPROMISED CREDIT CARD CLAIM AT THE TIME OF THE DISPUTE and have your card issuer SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT CARD WITH A NEW CARD NUMBER.

By kevin t. on 9/21/15
Helpful answer

You will have a hard time getting your money back Terri. The first time I was with them years ago, I forgot the auto renewal and tried to get my money back and they fought me tooth and nail. This time I tried both Ourtime and Match and both experiences were not good though Ourtime was a bit better. I agree with some of the answers here that Match baits you toward the end of your subscription with possible contacts, but since I cannot proof that I have to add that disclaimer. Everything you have run into with your experience I have had with mine.

By mark k. on 5/4/15
Helpful answer

If you were charged in one lump sum, you can't. If they are auto billing you every month, shut it off. If they took one lump sum, the best you can do is file a formal complaint with the BBB and any federal fraud protection agency you can dig up. Why would they refund you? They don't give a $#*!. To even get a response, you will have to have a local attorney draft a letter threatening to bring civil action (that will cost more than the year they billed you for). If you wanted to make a point, hire the attorney to file the civil suit. The suit would have to be for considerably more than they extorted. To win that is next to impossible because the court will require you justify the additional damages for which you are suing, They will, by law, have to respond. At which point they will issue a refund (a couple hundred dollars), the court will consider it satisfied, and the attorney will bill you a couple of grand for their effort. Point is, you're screwed! These internet companies know that the expense you would incur trying to fight them (especially across state lines) far, far exceeds what they ripped from you. It's essentially legal theft. Sorry about your luck...You got had! I've been there in other areas myself.

By tom j. on 10/1/15
Helpful answer

Hi Stephen, First of all, I am really sorry you are still dealing with Match.com and their unethical ways. I am still receiving emails for Match too, even though I have canceled my account many months ago. I scam every email they send me, but they send new emails form alternate email addresses. Perhaps you will have better luck then me, if call them. I am seriously thinking of contacting Better Business Bureau to see if that helps. I know that it looks bad for a business to have complaints on them on BBB, so if you mentioned that to Match when you call them (that is if you get to reach them), they might stop pestering you. So the only advice I can think of is, contact BBB, and state your concern and complaint to them. Good luck!

By Tone J. on 4/4/16
Helpful answer

Cancel the card you used when you joined.

By Paisley-girl n. on 4/17/16
Helpful answer

The first thing you need to understand (if you haven't already discovered it on match) is that none of your letters will be read unless the recipient is a FULLY PAID member. Even though you have paid to be a member you are still not able to contact the other person. There is a option available to you but it's pretty much extortion on the part of Match. You can pay an additional monthly fee where all of your mail is delivered and they can read and reply back to you. Apart from that I can't really give you any other answers other than don't renew with this site.

By josh l. on 5/31/15
Helpful answer

I feel the same way Teresa, i have been on the site for 1 year now and cancelled my subscription, but was told it won't officially cancel until May because i waited to late after my initial sign up day, so i got stuck with another year. I am a handsome guy with a lot to offer, but for some reason never really got emails as i expected, i started to think the people profiles were fake or the women i was interested in didn't know a good man if his profiled slapped them in the face, just sayN. 41, recently divorced for little over a year, highly educated, working in my profession, make close to six figures, single, don't cheat, great personality, smart, don't play, and real down to earth.....but i guess no one believed it or didn't like my handsome picks...IDK. confused!

By jacie r. on 1/10/16
Helpful answer

It is because there are not any real people on match.com. Most of the profiles are fakes, or they are people who may have once been on the site and now their profiles are used as bait to get you to sign up and pay, thinking there are actual matches that could be made. Also a lot of the profiles are people who have not actually signed up and paid so they could not even get back to you if they wanted (unless they too pay for the privilege of sending an email reply). Do not sign up! This is an unethical site that does a bait and switch to get money out of you and others and does not delivery on any promises. Most of the profiles are cons trying to get something from you. This site should be shut down!

By firstname l. on 6/16/15
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Match.com